GB HOMEPAGE

Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1

Posted By: Becky

Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/24/09 07:07 PM

Jonathan talks about what ghosts might look like, ways to put "atmosphere" on-screen, and how a certain abandoned railway station has been calling to him.

Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary
Posted By: AnneG

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/24/09 07:36 PM

Nice! Thank you, Becky! Makes me even more excited for this game.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/24/09 08:14 PM

Thank You, Becky

Jonathan's Quote.." It's impossible for me to guess what made the first Dark Fall such a success; was it the ghosts, the melancholy locations, the sound, the silence, the darkness...I could spend all my life asking people,"

It was the ghost's, the melancholy locations, the sound,the silence, the darkness....

A true classic game yay
Posted By: Phoenix Star

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/24/09 08:25 PM

That's a nice touch.

Will this game have a US release date or should I just buy it on November 6th?
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/24/09 09:51 PM

I watch TAPS: Ghosthunters on TV & every so often, they capture something that's close... but not as convincing as the Station Master... one of Jonathan's Forgotten ghosts (1st pic, "Creating Ghosts"). His portrayal could change any skeptics's mind, if such a one could ever be captured on film. But I don't think I'd want to be the one 'capturing' it!

Looking forward to the US release date.happydance

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/25/09 02:33 AM

I think it's likely that the game will find a US publisher at some point, but nothing's been announced yet.
Posted By: myopia

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/25/09 04:55 AM

Delicious anticipatory shivers going on here, thanks Becky!
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/25/09 09:09 AM

I can't wait for this one Becky! Thanks.

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/25/09 09:17 PM

There's some new information on the Dark Fall site, although I think you all know about it. It looks as if we'll be playing The Inspector. I don't really like how there's company in the form of "Mr. Bones" or "Echo"...a great thing about the first Dark Fall was that you were alone.
Posted By: Terri824

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/25/09 11:25 PM

I can't wait for this game. I too enjoy Ghost Hunters and if something is on TV to do with the supernatural (ghosts. psychics, reincarnation, etc.) you can be sure that I will watch it. I hate to call it an obsession, but I have been interested in the afterlife for at least the last 40 years. Jonathan Boakes games are the best! I finished The Lost Crown a few months ago and absolutely loved it. I am so ready to go back to the abandoned train station!
Thanks for many entertaining hours, Jonathan Boakes. bravo

Terri
Posted By: GBC

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/26/09 01:15 AM

Thanks Becky. I'm so excited about this game. The first Dark Fall was one of my favorite all-time games. The second was great too but this one I think will surpass in scaring me to death. rotfl
I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Posted By: Mystery Lover

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/27/09 08:17 PM

This game looks very good! I'm not usually a fan of scary, but both previous Dark Fall games were wonderfully spooky but not freaky.

I'm looking forward to this one, looks very suspensful!
Posted By: SuMac

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/29/09 10:38 PM

In anticipation of this new game, I have been replaying the original Dark Fall.

It's running beautifully on my XP computer. The resolution won't go low enough, so it plays in a window format, and on my wide screen monitor, it's plenty big. I'm also hearing all kinds of spooky sound I don't remember hearing on my real old computer. I'm ready to go back to the station!
Bring it on!
Posted By: katbear50

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/29/09 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Phoenix Star
There's some new information on the Dark Fall site, although I think you all know about it. It looks as if we'll be playing The Inspector. I don't really like how there's company in the form of "Mr. Bones" or "Echo"...a great thing about the first Dark Fall was that you were alone.

I totally agree with you there,
that goes so much farther towards creating the chill banes down your back whenever your house
suddenly creaks/pops in the middle of the night while totally immersed in this type of game.
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 09/30/09 07:19 PM

Being alone (in 1st-person POV) increases the 'chill factor' for me, too. I used to think that in 3rd-person, I'd feel too much like a movie director... removed from the action, not getting the full eerie effect. But...I've played many games in 3rd-person, & somehow felt very much a part of the action... go figure!

I was pleasantly surprised, for example, that the company of other characters in "Lost Crown", did not lessen my feeling of eerie-ness one bit. The way Jonathan did it (in "Lost Crown") worked. I fully expect the same will be true with Dark Fall III.
Posted By: JonathanBoakes

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/02/09 06:01 PM

Hello from Cornwall to the Gameboomers!

It's great to hear there is STILL plenty of interest in the paranormal, ghosts and the afterlife, as they feature a lot in the next Dark Fall game, Lost Souls.

I've always been fascinated by tales of the supernatural and strange, and spend a lot of time researching, exploring and investigating strange cases. I'm hoping a lot of the spookier experiences are evident in the game, which has been an eerie delight to make, over many long, dark nights. There's something about writing and making the Dark Fall games which makes me go all nocturnal. Starting work at dusk, and working through until dawn (with a token candle for lighting, often flickering for no obvious reason). It was the same with Dark Fall: The Journal (the first game), back in 2000 (almost ten years ago). The night time setting really does help influence the story, which, this time round, is very dark indeed. There are 'horror' elements, but nothing too sadistic or gratuitous. I think the tone is spot-on for the story I am telling, which although not straight forward, is satisfying and full of twists and turns. A bit like a classic ghost story, I hope(!!) from Dickens or James. Ghost stories always read better at night, especially in Autumn, when the dark falls sooner.

It means that I have spent many, many long nights alone, in the old Station Hotel, with only the creaking floorboards, howling wind and desperate Lost Souls for company. Quite a chilling experience. Anyone worried that your explorations will be interrupted by chatty sidekicks need not worry...as with many first person adventure games Lost Souls is a lonely, dark and moody experience. Both Bones and Echo are around, but barely glimpsed. In the case of Mr.Bones, that's a comfort. He is a very troubled man, with some truly horrible ritualistic habits. Echo, on the other hand, is an informant, keeping you on track, and providing clues at the most appropriate moments...thing is, Echo isn't what he/she seems, communicating only by Txt Cell Phone messages, so take all advice and clues with a pinch of salt (and throw some over your left shoulder, while you are at it, for luck!).

Lastly, it's great to have two 'series' on the go. The Dark Fall Games are so different to the The Lost Crown games (a potential trilogy). It's a pleasure to be able to write for different characters and places. Once Lost Souls has crept its way onto shelves, and into your post boxes, I am moving straight onto The Last Crown: Haunting of Hallowed Isle. I am thrilled, and humbled, that the first 'TLC' game was received as well as it has been. It was a very personal project, for me, with lots of elements from my childhood, and ghost-hunting experiences. I guess everyone likes a 'classic' feeling ghost story now and then, so you have plenty to look forward to from me. I had etter start stocking up on candles!

Thanks again,
Jonathan
The Dark Fall Games: The Journal, Lights Out and Lost Souls
Posted By: AnneG

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/02/09 06:47 PM

Jonathan, you keep making these great games and we'll keep buying them. The atmosphere in them is really something special. We appreciate all your hard work.

Can't wait for Lost Souls!

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/02/09 08:33 PM

Thanks for stopping by, Jonathan! wave Has it really been ten years since Dark Fall: The Journal? That was a fast ten years!

We're looking forward to joining you (so to speak) in that creepy old Station Hotel once again.

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/02/09 10:07 PM

Wow. Well that made me day. laugh And there's gonna be another game similar to The Lost Crown! This is great.
Posted By: AnnLouise

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/02/09 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Darleen03

Jonathan's Quote.." It's impossible for me to guess what made the first Dark Fall such a success; was it the ghosts, the melancholy locations, the sound, the silence, the darkness...I could spend all my life asking people,"

It was the ghost's, the melancholy locations, the sound,the silence, the darkness....

Playing The Lost Crown was fun for the same reasons. It wasn't just about getting from the beginning to end and "winning". I've posted before that playing TLC was like being in a classic ghost story; that was half the fun. It was creepy without any gross-outs (well, the cat room might count as that for some).
Posted By: myopia

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/03/09 04:06 AM

Ah Jonathan, Lost Crown a potential trilogy fall ...my cup is full!

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/03/09 02:03 PM

I wonder -- does that mean that "The Last Crown" isn't the very last crown?
Posted By: Mary

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/03/09 02:14 PM

I just finished playing The Lost Crown; I thought it was excellent, as was Dark Fall: The Journal!

I can't wait for more--bring them on!!
Posted By: jfcwilson

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/04/09 06:48 PM

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for the post. The Lost Crown series a trilogy, oh my! I can just imagine a little row of them on my shelf.
Looking forward to DF:LS this november!
Regards,
James Wilson
Posted By: monbron

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/04/09 07:27 PM

Wow! that has made my day, not only more Dark fall but more Lost Crown, aren't we lucky, I shall be looking forward to this, I will just have to replay them all before the new ones arrive. help
Posted By: doublewats

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/05/09 05:09 PM

Ahaha, I've never played any of the Dark Fall games because I'm such a scared-y cat! XD I'll have to pluck up the courage and try it eventually! Maybe I'll search out a demo...

Kudos to the x-files reference! razz Interesting that he was part of a ghost-hunting team, I think. Thank you for the link, it's cool to see how developers get their ideas and develop the story.
Posted By: gillann

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/06/09 03:16 PM

Thank you, Jonathan for the update. As long as that fertile mind, and imagination of yours keeps working, we live in anticipation of the next adventure! Can't wait!
Gillann
Posted By: jody319

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/08/09 04:01 PM

scaredWho else besides me put the cursor (shaped like a little hand) on the Ouigi Board and...found it
Click to reveal..
only took me back to the previous picture
! smashpc
Posted By: RayBres

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/08/09 04:14 PM

Alright, alright, while we're waiting for the game to be released we can all work on why so many locales in the UK are haunted. eek What's been going on there? Should the island be cordoned off?

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/08/09 07:41 PM

Maybe all of Britain is sitting atop a giant barrow? Would it help to put standing stones all around it?
Posted By: xnickerxje

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/09/09 09:00 AM

My 10 year old has been playing all the games with me. (I play first time, and she "helps" me as I play it the second time- after I know it is ok)

Lost Crown is her favorite. Her bedtime is 9 pm on non-school nights- I tend to hint it's time for bed by saying "what time is it?", to which she loves to answer "the clock is stuck at 9 o'clock" in perfect mimicry.

As for me, Darkfall is one of my favorite games. It is the reason why I played all the others, and will play any new ones in the future. I love the suspense, story line, and thrill of discovery. I love how the science (and equipment) of ghost hunting is included.

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/17/09 02:26 AM

Oooh, the Dark Fall website is now viewable in German. That might indicate a German release of Lost Souls...unless it was always there and I missed it, but I doubt that.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/18/09 02:38 AM

"Alright, alright, while we're waiting for the game to be released we can all work on why so many locales in the UK are haunted. What's been going on there? Should the island be cordoned off?"

Awwwww !! Would you have us cordoned off then ?? lol lol

Well we have a rich and diverse history with many, many truly ancient sites and thousands of buildings of extreme age also - some where extreme violence has taken place - and so, of course, tales of hauntings (whether true or ficticious wink ) abound.

And we revel in them !!!! evil evil
Posted By: RayBres

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/18/09 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Mad

Well we have a rich and diverse history with many, many truly ancient sites and thousands of buildings of extreme age also - some where extreme violence has taken place - and so, of course, tales of hauntings (whether true or ficticious wink ) abound.

And we revel in them !!!! evil evil

So do Italy, France, Spain, etc., etc., and they don't abound in hauntings. No, no, the UK has to be investigated because something special has been going on there! lol After all, does Marie Antoinette stroll around the Place de la Concorde carrying her head under her arm like Anne Boleyn does at the Tower of London?

Originally Posted By: Mad
Awwwww, would you cordon us off then??

Yes. lol
Posted By: old lady

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/18/09 04:34 PM

Marie Antoinette has been seen in the gardens of Versailles and King Ludvig 2nd of Barvaria wondering in his castles. Should you cordon us off or should we fence ourselves in? think think

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/18/09 06:26 PM

Maybe the UK ghosts are homebodies? Other ghosts roam the earth (with the Flying Dutchman, etc.) but the UK ghosts would rather stay near home and haunt their neighbors?
Posted By: Raj

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/19/09 08:28 PM

Quote:
...a great thing about the first Dark Fall was that you were alone

I couldn't agree with you more, Phoenix Star!

With the original Dark Fall, I played in the dark and would get so immersed in the atmosphere that I actually would be in front of a door and be scared to open it (or get a chill). To me, that's the sign of an OUTSTANDING game.

Lights Out had its moments but never reached that level of creepy-ness for me. Perhaps it was to much in bright light. I did love the time travel though. That was very cool!

Personally, I don't think the third-person thing works for creepy games. Barrow Hill brought back a lot of that alone feeling.

BUT... to be clear... I am, always, a fanatical fan of anything Jonathan Boakes does.

I hope the games just keep coming!

PS- Just remembered that Scratches was another game I'd put in the great-creepy-game category. eek

------- oops! just realized I stacked posts frown SO... what follows was a separate post:

Originally Posted By: SuMac

It's running beautifully on my XP computer. The resolution won't go low enough, so it plays in a window format, and on my wide screen monitor, it's plenty big.

SuMac, I'm playing Dark Fall in XP with a graphics card that doesn't go low enough in regular mode, but there is a way to get it to go full screen (I know only because I play it that way headscratch).

I don't remember wbat I did but I'm sure you can find out in Glitches, Bugs, and Patches.

Good luck! (It's all about atmosphere, baby! wink )

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 10/20/09 12:05 AM

Raj -- no worries. Will delete one of the posts as requested. thumbsup

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 11/05/09 09:52 PM

There is a picture of the box for this game on Amazon UK

It says it releases the thirtheenth though rather than tomorrow
Posted By: monbron

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 11/05/09 10:30 PM

I just got bumped back by Amazon UK and am told it now will not arrive until November 24th, but not to worry 'cos I'm bound to need a walkthrough soon into the game and we have to give dear Mag time to complete it - it should only take her a day or so!!?? praise
Posted By: MaG

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 11/05/09 10:44 PM

<choke> lol
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Jonathan Boakes Exclusive -- Dark Fall: Lost Souls Developer Diary #1 - 11/06/09 12:35 AM

There is a picture of the box for this game on Amazon UK

It says it releases the thirtheenth though rather than tomorrow

Phoenix, it was announced here along with additional screenshots.

Ana wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community