GB HOMEPAGE

Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky

Posted By: Becky

Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/23/09 08:32 PM

Can the eeriness of Dark Fall II: Lights Out be improved upon? Have courage: click on the link below.

Lights Out: Director's Cut
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/23/09 10:11 PM

Thanks for the excellent review Becky. bravo

Ana wave
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/23/09 10:19 PM

Very informative, thanks Becky! thumbsup
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/24/09 12:29 AM

Looks like Halloween is going to be stretched well into December.

Am I reading correctly... that there's a book of 16 ghost stories included? I've been listening to spooky stories on disk (the Nightfall series from the CBC in the early 1980s) and recognized 1 of the titles, "The Monkey's Paw" from Jonathan's list. Wonder if it's the same story featured in my Nightfall MP3cd?
Posted By: nanette

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/24/09 01:15 AM

Monkey's Paw written by W.W.Jacobs is one of the ghoststories on the boxed Pins & Needles' edition (still available - I got my copy only 2 weeks ago)
With of course both games, both companions and a sound track CD; all that for only 25 US dollars, including shipping (to Europe!)
I bought, played and loved the 'old' CD versions way back when, but simply could'nt resist this bargain. Besides, we Europeans get a lot of dollars for our euro's...

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/24/09 01:43 AM

Thank you Nanette. Guess I'll have to buy "Pins and Needles" to hear those ghost stories.

Listening to ghost stories can be even more of a treat than reading them... just like being a child again... having someone read to you. Nice way to drift off to sleep, too.
Posted By: nanette

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/24/09 01:48 AM

Sorry if I led you astray, but the stories and companions are in PDF; only for reading...
Posted By: PolloDiablo

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/24/09 07:41 AM

I've bought the Pins&Needles Limited Edition too, but haven't gotten around to playing yet. After reading this review, I can't wait to start!
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/24/09 09:25 AM

Thanks for a great review Becky. I'm now tempted as although I did finish the original version, I had trouble understanding the story & had to rely heavily on a walkthrough! smile

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/24/09 12:38 PM

Thanks everyone!

Chrissie -- it's tricky trying to measure the difficulty level of the Director's Cut because I'd just played the original. But it definitely is still a challenging game. There is an updated walkthrough here by MaG if you find you need it.

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/24/09 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: nanette
Sorry if I led you astray, but the stories and companions are in PDF; only for reading...
No apology needed Nanette. The clarification is much appreciated! I'd be just as happy reading them as listening to them. The format is secondary. More important is that all 16 titles are included. I think these might give us a little insight into some elements that influence Jonathan when he creates his games... discovering a little of what makes him 'tick' when it comes to the spooky stuff.

Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/26/09 04:19 PM

bravo Becky

Great as always! puppy
Posted By: Argyle1968

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 10/28/09 03:22 PM

I'm probably the only one who liked Lights Out a little better than the original Dark Fall. Not because I was disappointed in Dark Fall--to the contrary, I found it a terrifically creepy and intriguing game--but I really think Jonathan upped the level of his game a bit with the "sequel", authoring not just an immersive horror game but a really interesting sci-fi story as well. I think there's better backstory here than in the original, I guess.

Posted By: Mystery Lover

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 11/02/09 11:04 PM

While I really enjoyed the original Lights Out, the Director's Cut was awesome! The shadows made it that much creepier, and the noises in the abandoned lighthouse made me shiver. I loved the story and even felt sorry for the main "villain", I have a feeling he was used by the Dark Fall for evil means.

Re: Lights Out: Director's Cut -- A Review by Becky - 11/03/09 12:05 AM

Mystery Lover -- an intriguing idea. I thought -- possible serious plot spoiler
Click to reveal..
that the "villain" had navigational problems because Hadden included some sort of software to try to get their hands on the new dark matter technology. But maybe the Dark Fall had a stronger influence. I don't think we ever learn why the "base" was build right by/beneath the old lighthouse -- do we?
© 2024 GameBoomers Community