GB HOMEPAGE

is TSL a joke?

Posted By: hamer

is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 09:28 PM

Over 10 yrs with bogus release dates...and they are still claiming dates for release...never once came thru with anything...i was just on the tsl website...i honestly cant believe it....im amazed roberta williams hasnt stepped in.....what a joke...
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 09:35 PM

What is TSL?
Posted By: JarJar

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 09:37 PM

The Silver Lining
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 09:41 PM

I understand your pain jarjar. The years are still rolling buy and no part 1 or anything. Just a demo. I gave up on them last summer. If the game comes out I will definately play it but the wait is way too long.

Cathy

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Cathy1
I understand your pain jarjar. The years are still rolling buy and no part 1 or anything. Just a demo. I gave up on them last summer. If the game comes out I will definately play it but the wait is way too long.

Cathy

I'm not the op smile .

I've never even played the demo is it any good?

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 09:45 PM

I never played the demo either. I didn't want to spoil the experience of the whole game.

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 09:47 PM

I think they explain it quite well Here. They owe us nothing and they are making us a free game. I say be thankful there are still people out there willing to do this for us no matter how long it takes.

Ana

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 09:52 PM

Hi Ana
I didn't mean any disrespect. I waited for about 7 years for Broken Sword 2.5 to come out.

Cathy

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 09:54 PM

They might not owe anybody anything...but promising release dates from 7 yrs ago and still nothing....i just consider it and them a joke....realistically you would think they should know the difference from a few months to several years and base a realistic release date??

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 09:59 PM

Have you ever dreamed of doing something and then tried to make it reality and discovered it was a lot harder than it looked? How would you feel if that was you and no matter how hard it was, you stuck with it only to have people call you a joke? I don't think you'd like it much. Cut them some slack and give them encouragement instead.

Ana

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 10:03 PM

Yes mum.... lol

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 10:18 PM

I wouldn't say they're a joke at all it's very hard to make games without any kind of financial backing. They should have tried to be a little more realistic with their dates though but as they say "that's life"
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 10:22 PM

AHHHH...Love the screenshots...

I am downloading the demo now... yay
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/03/10 11:57 PM

There was also a long delay because Vivendi stepped in threatening to sue them over rights violations. Read that somewhere and don't recall the details. But considering the total lack of respect that company demonstrated on the vault of Sierra games they buried it is not surprising. Makes one wonder why they bought the catalog in the first place.

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 12:04 AM

YOu can read that here oldman.

Ana wave

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 12:31 AM

what a lovely article

"Because of negotiations with VU, Phoenix says it lost about three months' development time, but still expects The Silver Lining to arrive in 2006."

seems they lost 3 months but 2006 will be the delay because of it...

dum de dum de dum......hello 2010

laugh .....im really gonna get in trouble now

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 12:37 AM

Why will you be in trouble hamer? You are certainly entitled your opinion. I just find it very sad that you that you find the need to criticize someone who has put in countless hours for your enjoyment.

Ana

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 12:40 AM

i think that maybe they should charge something for the game....it would finally get done....i have no problem paying for it...they will then have funding for the rest of the trilogy.....and so on......if free means 10 to 15 yr wait...well i suppose but to get everyones hopes up then down etc for 10 yrs.with journal updates that seem quite bogus...pleeeeeze lol
Posted By: MaG

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 12:54 AM

If they do charge money for the game - then gamers - as you have stated expect that they will get enough funding to complete the game. Most would not take into account the pirates and the amount the developers get for their hard work - which is basically nil.

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 12:58 AM

but then they would be on the same playing field as every other company tho.....and assuming this trilogy has some of the same success as the previous kings quest, not to mention sponsorship etc from some giants after the release of the first in the trilogy....it is to their advantage to get the game to the public

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 12:58 AM

I also believe they would not be allowed to charge for the game since they do not hold license to the IP.

Ana
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 01:01 AM

I played the demo....It is very good..

Graphics are very good...The interface is very easy...Right click to get the hand icon..Etc,Etc..

If its a free game..It is worth the wait..

Patience, Patience happydance
Posted By: MaG

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 01:03 AM

laugh That is nice expectation but it is sad to say that is not what happens most of the time.

Thanks, Ana. I moved to generalization. Best to go back to TSL.

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 01:06 AM

gray matter will be out soon by jane jenson....released by anaconda...im sure these people are watching what is going n with this game as it was originally done by williams....both of these people who were with sierra....im just saying that i would guess that sponsorship would follow after the first release
Posted By: oldman

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 01:50 AM

I have also been following this game since it was first announced and have been very disappointed, but not with the wonderful people who are trying to give us old time Sierra On Line fans another game.

No, I am disappointed with Vivendi who has acted like a dog in a manger. They won't make any more adventure games and yet won't allow anyone else to make the same type games.

I applaud those of TSL for their efforts and after reading the link posted, it looks like the best we can hope for is only 1/3 of the game thanks to Vivendi.

I have personally boycotted Vivendi since they destroyed Sierra (not that my business will make or break them) just out of principle.

Well there's my rant for the year. (or maybe not)
Posted By: sierramindy

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 02:31 AM

I do read about TSL now and then but I'm not following it. I have been following FoY since I played their demo in 2006 and it is interesting to learn about their problems. They are all volunteers making the game because they believe in it. However, over the years some have dropped out for one reason or another, things happen, and new people join up. The team consists of volunteers from various countries so that makes everything harder. They have families and regular jobs and only work on the game when they have the spare time, which probably isn't as often as they would like. They are making the game for their own reasons and they hope (I'm sure) when they finish that other gamers who like Indy will also enjoy the game. Of course, since it is all volunteer work there is no quarantee they ever will finish. I imagine it is about the same with TSL. It's not a joke, but it isn't like a business with them, more like a hobby, I would say. Give them all their space and if it comes to pass that either TSL or FoY ever get finished, then it will be a great fun time all around.
Posted By: Cocoa

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 04:05 AM

Hi,
I couldn't find a link on their site for the demo? Anyone have it ...Thanks
Posted By: Becky

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 05:08 AM

Click here and scroll down to "download."
Posted By: Mad

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 09:19 AM

"I have also been following this game since it was first announced and have been very disappointed, but not with the wonderful people who are trying to give us old time Sierra On Line fans another game.
No, I am disappointed with Vivendi who has acted like a dog in a manger. They won't make any more adventure games and yet won't allow anyone else to make the same type games.
I applaud those of TSL for their efforts
...."

My feelings, exactly, oldman yes

I am still sent periodic update email newsletters by the TSL developers - and in fact actually received one just a couple of days ago.

I will continue to wait and hope that someday they ARE in a position to let us have their game thumbsup
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/04/10 11:18 PM

Thanks for posting this. It would be great if this actually happens. I loved Kings Quest. It was the first computer game that I ever played.
Posted By: venus

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/06/10 05:08 PM

I don't think TSL is a joke at all. It sounds to me as though they are working on it; it's just taking a lot longer than they expected it would. Just think of how many times commercial games get delayed. lol Of course a game like this, where people have jobs and lives on top of everything else, is going to be delayed even more.

I remember I played the demo quite a while back and loved it. I do hope they are able to complete it soon, of course. This game is high on my list of the games I want to play. thumbsup
Posted By: Gandalf

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/06/10 05:30 PM

Since it is a free game I think we should cut them some slack duh
Posted By: venus

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/06/10 05:52 PM

I fully agree, Gandalf. yes
Posted By: Karsten

Re: is TSL a joke? - 01/06/10 06:02 PM

I once dreamed of becoming a game writer or designer. So I downloaded gamemaker 6.0 (and the demo of GameMaker 9.0) I even bought a book called 'gamemaker 6.0' And then I started to make a PONG game.

This is should be fairly easy to do...

It turned out that it wasn't.

From that time I have had the highest respect for people making games, be they professional or volunteers.

The developers for The Silver Lining are volunteering their time to give adventure fans a free game. And maybe fighting off Ubisoft orVivendi as well (who owns the right to the King's Quest games and all of the old Sierra games?)

© 2024 GameBoomers Community