GB HOMEPAGE

The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill

Posted By: AmunPtah

The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/15/10 10:11 PM

Further to my previous thread detailing my audio interview with Jonathan Boakes and Matt Clark on my podcast The Investigative Author (available on iTunes and at http://www.tomrbaynham.com/), I am pleased to announce that I have uploaded a sizable collection of photographs of the real locations used to create the games The Lost Crown and Barrow Hill.

You can find the gallery of pictures by going to http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomrbaynham/ and choosing a set from the right hand side. I have grouped the photographs into as sensible sets as I can think of, with photographs of each location grouped together.

There are currently nearly 500 images of the real locations uploaded, and I'm uploading new images constantly.

I would welcome your comments on the photographs, and if you use Flickr and want to share the pictures let me know!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/15/10 10:30 PM

Those are great pictures.
I can recognize some of the places from the game.
Did I see a real live seal in one of the photos? Or was it a statue?

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/15/10 10:33 PM

Nah, that was a statue. There used to be a big, fat, old seal who lived on the rocks in Looe. When he died the town erected a monument as a memorial to him!
Posted By: Becky

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 01:16 AM

Beautiful photographs! Thanks. wave
Posted By: Jarkeld

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 02:07 AM

Indeed beautiful. Wish I could go and visit these sites myself.
Posted By: Mystery Lover

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 02:10 AM

Wow, those are awesome pics!
Posted By: dmtomchick

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 09:15 AM

That's so cool! Thanks for sharing these. happydance
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 09:24 AM

Amun those are fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: old lady

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 03:26 PM

The seal only had one eye and would beg for food from the boats as they were unloading. Because he has only one eye he was called Nelson and he was a much loved resident of our little town.
Welcome to Cornwall.

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 04:48 PM

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad everyone likes the pics! And thank-you "old lady" for the extra info! Have you been on a Lost Crown pilgrimage?
Posted By: marie

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 05:20 PM

Those where fantastic pictures, I love the old English churches and anything English (such history). I hope to be traveling in your part of the world maybe next year or the one after. I'd like to see Ireland and Scotland also, if I can talk the hubby into that long trans-atlantic flight lol

Thank you for all the great pictures, and I loved both of the games and still have them to play again.

Marie wave

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 07:16 PM

Long flight? I did 15 hours to Mauritius a few months back...
Posted By: monbron

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 08:45 PM

Wow those pictures are so good, I haven't been to Looe for many years but it does bring back memories adn I can see so much Lost Crown in them. Me thinks I will be paying both of the games again soon. thumbsup

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 09:24 PM

monbron, you'll have to go and visit once again! Definitely worth it, just to see the locations. I spent much of my last trip visiting as many ancient sites as I could. Pictures of those are being uploaded now.
Posted By: gamenut

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 10:13 PM

Oh Thank You Thank You Thank you for those photos! I just enjoyed them so very much .. and so very surprised at how realalistic the games really are! Always wanted to travel but not going to be able to and just love to see photos by people in other countries.
Posted By: GBC

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/16/10 11:17 PM

Awesome pics , thanks for sharing!
Posted By: old lady

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/17/10 04:03 PM

Lovely pictures that show just what Cornwall has to offer, thank you,
I bought Lost Crown as soon as it came out. As soon as I got to "Saxton" I recognised Polperro!!! and Duloe church and the antique shop!! Only after I went on the website did I realise that the tower was the base of our very own Banjo pier. It was built in the shape of a banjo to help stop the river silting up.
Looe is a very old town and we have plenty of ghosts.

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/19/10 01:15 PM

I've uploaded more photos of areas in and around Bodmin Moor, so if you are looking forward to Bracken Tor (#1 on my most wanted list), you'll find plenty of ancient sites to look at. If you find ancient sites interesting, I recommend visiting Megalithic
Posted By: macmac

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/21/10 08:00 AM

The pictures are fantastic, but a little unsettling; here's why: I've always imagined game designers as artists who sat at an easel (or monitor) and created those meticulous, detailed enviornments from their imagination. After seeing your pictures, Im beginning to wonder how much of those fantastic enviornments were actually created with photographs and Photoshop-type software...Darn!

Re: The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill - 01/21/10 01:31 PM

If only it was easy as that! Jonathan says he tore his hair out removing drainpipes and people. Just as an example, look at the scene at "The Bear" end of the harbour wall, where the setps up to the cottages are and the seagull thats calls out. In real life there are actually rails there (image) but in-game there are not. Jonathan carefully blended them out! Replicated that by a factor of several thousands for railing, drainpipes, even whole buildings...
© 2024 GameBoomers Community