GB HOMEPAGE

Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ??

Posted By: Mad

Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/23/10 07:38 PM

Hi smile

Often games are developed where you can play as not one "hero" but two !!

And play can vary as to whether you change roles from one to the other, are able to act as the two together, or both in some cases grin

I still prefer "going it alone" the most, even though I do always enjoy trying the different options games provide.

Would you like to say which option suits YOU best ??

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/23/10 07:49 PM

I enjoy this style as long as it doesn't fracture the overall flow of the story too much - i.e. switching abruptly to another character just as things with the original character are starting to get interesting.

I enjoyed the character switching in Secret Files: Tunguska (not so much the sequel, however), and also in Belief and Betrayal.

If it's done well, then I'm all for it, although if I had to choose I would stay with just one hero/ine throughout.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/23/10 08:57 PM

Good question! I like playing as different characters, especially if the characters' reactions are different. One of the funniest moments for me in recent memory was playing as "good" and "bad" Simon in Simon the Sorcerer (game #4, Chaos Happens) and seeing their different comments on the same items/people in the gameworld.

I like challenges that use characters cooperatively, as long as there are clues to help figure out which character should be doing what.
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/23/10 10:24 PM

I don't mind playing as different characters where it's filling in gaps or adding interest to a story but I do like just one main protagonist in a game. There are a few games where two charaters are present & you can switch between them - I can't think of many games where the feature is used to full potential except for the Blackwell games. smile

Posted By: Kickaha

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/23/10 10:55 PM

In "Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time" you could choose to appear as any of the NPCs in each time zone (by the Chameleon jumpsuit,) and the NPCs would respond to you differently. This added to the zest of playing besides being required to solve some of the puzzles.
Posted By: oldman

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/23/10 10:57 PM

To me, the best game that had you switch characters was Gabriel Knight 2 where you played as both Gabriel and Grace. Of course, I just really liked that game.

Having been to Munich and being familiar with some of the landmarks in the game was very interesting to me. I wanted to take Gabe to the Hofbrauhaus because I remembered the way but Gabe wouldn't go there. lol laugh

Posted By: flotsam

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/24/10 01:13 AM

I am a bit of a loner, but quite like two now and then. Its most appealing when the interactions of the two are fully integrated into a puzzle solve; Schizm comes to mind.
Posted By: Mary

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/24/10 01:54 AM

I prefer to play just one person. Playing two different people pulls me "out" of the game, to where I'm just moving two people around, completing chores.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/24/10 02:21 PM

Mad,

I am with you....I like to go it alone..

Ceville was a nice game....But when it came to switching ...I got totally woozy
Posted By: Yankee Clipper

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/24/10 02:39 PM

Sometimes when in battle you can switch characters in order to save lives of your party like in Dragn Age - otherwise I prefer the solitary hero especially if he's strong and handsom and and....
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/24/10 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Often games are developed where you can play as not one "hero" but two !!

And play can vary as to whether you change roles from one to the other, are able to act as the two together, or both in some cases grin

I still prefer "going it alone" the most, even though I do always enjoy trying the different options games provide.

Would you like to say which option suits YOU best ??

I'm assuming we're talking about non-AFGNCAAP games here, since the question wouldn't have much relevance to games where you play as an AFGNCAAP character.
(AFGNCAAP = Ageless, Faceless, Gender-Neutral, Culturally-Ambiguous Adventure Person)

It would depend on the game and the way switching is handled. If the game allows you to switch characters at will, choosing the character can be part of a puzzle.

Originally Posted By: Rushes
I enjoy this style as long as it doesn't fracture the overall flow of the story too much - i.e. switching abruptly to another character just as things with the original character are starting to get interesting.

I don't like that either.

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/24/10 06:30 PM

"AFGNCAAP = Ageless, Faceless, Gender-Neutral, Culturally-Ambiguous Adventure Person"

I'm just wondering now ....

Could this be ME ?? rotfl

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/24/10 08:03 PM

Do you want it to be?
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/24/10 10:41 PM

I mostly would prefer solo but as oldman stated I loved The Beast Within GK2 where you played as Gabriel and Grace.
Posted By: Mystery Lover

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/25/10 12:43 AM

Playing as two characters can be interesting. I thought Nancy Drew and the Creature of Kapu Cave was fun, as long as you knew when to switch from Nancy to Joe or Frank. I haven't played many multi-character games though.
Posted By: Shany

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/25/10 04:44 AM

I like controlling more than one character - if one is annoying then I can at least control the other.
Although, they have to have different reactions, otherwise there's no point to switching.
Puzzles that require controlling several characters at once can be fun as well.

Also, I love it when controlling another character is an unexpected event. It gives a new perspective on the characters and the story.

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/25/10 04:47 AM

"Do you want it to be? "

Becky smile I'm too scared to decide !! lol lol

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/25/10 12:23 PM

lol Mad, that's probably wise. I guess you won't be losing face then. wink
Posted By: sarahandus

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/25/10 12:45 PM

I much prefer going it alone.

As for the ageless, faceless, etc., why not, then I can be whatever I want to be. Especially the ageless part.

Re: Alone or Not Alone - Is That The Question ?? - 01/25/10 03:01 PM

"Mad, that's probably wise. I guess you won't be losing face then."

devilchili devilchili devilchili
© 2024 GameBoomers Community