GB HOMEPAGE

GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/28/10 01:33 PM

It's now official - Activision has joined GOG.com!

Added 3/11: Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned

Added 3/2/10 Phantasmagoria 2

ADDED 2/12/10 Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within for 5.99

ADDED 2/4/10 Vampire Masquerade" The Redemption for all you RPG Fans 5.99

Dark Fall: Lights Out 5.99

For your reading pleasure: Gabriel Knight Retrospective Editorial and Arcanum Spotlight

One of the biggest publishers in the world will offer it's back catalogue games via GOG.com. With the announcement we're revealing first two games: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, while more titles will be unveiled gradually in the coming weeks, during as we like to call it month of Activision at GOG.com.

Quote:
GOG.com excites gamers around the world by bringing classic Activision titles like Arcanum, Gabriel Knight and more to DRM-free games superstore.

Warsaw, Poland – January 28, 2010. In a landmark deal for the DRM-free digital distribution movement, Activision Publishing Inc. is bringing a wide range of classic games to GOG.com (http://www.gog.com). With a wealth of PC-gaming gems tucked away in the Activision vaults, the deal gives all types of gamer – from the long-time devotee to the laptop-carrying “newbie” – an unforgettable glimpse into the rich history of the PC gaming.

The games on offer will be unveiled gradually in the coming weeks so as to encourage maximum enjoyment of the classic gameplay. The first two titles should be instantly recognizable to any fan of games in the adventure and role-playing genres.

Available now for $5.99, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura (Role-Playing Game, 2001) is the masterpiece from too-quickly-shuttered Troika Games. Heralded by The Electric Playground as “the most diverse and open-ended RPG to date,” Arcanum was conceived by many of the same minds responsible for the Fallout series and places players in a refreshingly unique setting, as ogres and other fantastical creatures come to grips with life in the midst of an industrial revolution.

The second title now available for $5.99, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (Point-and-Click Adventure, 1993), envisioned by legendary game designer, Jane Jensen, stands as a shining example of adventure gaming at its best. As writer and bookstore owner, Gabriel Knight, players set off to investigate a series of murders, in hopes of using the research to write a new novel. Sins of the Fathers is the first part of Gabriel’s adventures, considered by many as the best Sierra adventure-game series.

“Signing the agreement with Activision is the biggest thing that’s happened at GOG.com since the actual announcement of the service. This is a huge step forward for our site and for digital distribution as a whole, as Activision is one of the biggest publishers in the world with a long history in the games industry,” said Adam Oldakowski, Managing Director at GOG.com. “We're even happier to bring Activision games back to gamers, as GOG.com is the only place right now, where you can grab the announced titles. We've also managed to work on those titles to provide full compatibility with modern operating systems."

###

About GOG.com

GOG.com – or Good Old Games – is the ultimate destination for classic PC games. Leading the DRM-free digital-distribution revolution, the site offers more than 180 of the greatest PC games of all time at low prices and free from intrusive copy protection. GOG.com is much more than just another digital distribution site, featuring an extensive community component that allows players to rate, review and discuss their favorite PC games, as well as insightful articles from respected games journalists. Visit www.gog.com and start your journey to the past.

Happy Gaming

Ana wave
Posted By: anne2

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/28/10 01:54 PM

What simply wonderful news, thanks Ana.

Am wondering if they are using dos box to make Gabriel Knight playable, it actually works better using Enrico's installer.

Thanks wave

Posted By: Springchicken

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/28/10 02:36 PM

I discovered GOG games recently and enjoying now The Pandora Directive. Great game, great website, wonderful news. bravo
Posted By: Becky

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/28/10 03:54 PM

Thanks Ana! broccoli

Here's a list of a few games published by Activision in case anyone wants to speculate as to which games GOG will make available next. There are some good titles in the "Z" section, for instance.

I'm obviously not up on my history, but when did Activision get the rights to the Gabriel Knight games?
Posted By: misslilo

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/28/10 04:28 PM

I believe it was when they bought up the old Sierra smile
Posted By: gatsbygirl

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/28/10 05:47 PM

Ana,

Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with GOG or Activision. How does this work? Do we purchase and then download the games? If we purchase one of these older games, will they play just fine on XP or will we have to download that Dosbox that people have mentioned here in the forum? A couple of years ago I purchase a disc that had the King's Quest games on it but I couldn't get them to play properly on my computer. I think the games were put out by Vivendi.

I loved many of the old Sierra games and it will be fun to revisit them.

Thanks!
Posted By: kjos

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/28/10 06:01 PM

gatsbygirl ,Download and play no tweaking at all.
No Dosbox. Gabriel Knight plays perfect on my xp. 93 the game came out. I used to have the game many years ago. Really liked it.
Richard
Posted By: Mad

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/28/10 09:30 PM

I didn't know Sierra's games were now owned by Activision, either !!

So I went browsing and found THIS

It would appear the only good news about all that lot (for us Adventurers) is GOG now being allowed to get in on the act whistle
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/28/10 10:46 PM

Thanks for the link Mad. At first I thought this was good news but being a huge Sierra fan I am not sure now.
Posted By: mrbill

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/28/10 10:49 PM

I am a bit puzzled too Becky! Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers was, as far as I knew, a Sierra-On-Line game (now just referred to as Sierra) and they are part of Vivendi. But thanks to your link to the list of Activision Games, I found a link at the top that explains how Activision merged with Vivendi (has controlling interest) and the portion of Vivendi that was called Sierra was closed in 2008. Thus most Sierra games are property of Vivendi and Activision is their publishing outlet. HERE is that link.

Boy do I miss the good old days when Sierra-On-Line, Activision and others like Legend Entertainment were making great adventure games. smile

EDIT:
Update to previous post: I just clicked on my old Sierra Link in my favorite websites to visit and it leads to Activision now. frown

OH Well!

Mr. Bill

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/29/10 02:21 AM

Thanks, internet sleuths! grin So if someone wanted to develop Gabe 4, they'd need to skewer, err, locate the IP lawyers at Activision?

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/29/10 04:24 AM

I've got some brilliant skewers I could lend, if they're required rotfl
Posted By: oldman

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/29/10 06:27 AM

Hmm, I wonder if that will make it harder or easier for the TSL team? They've had a rough go of it to say the least.

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/29/10 12:55 PM

Activision partnering with GOG would argue that they are paying attention to their classic catalog, and perhaps are more open to sequels and/or fan-based games?
Posted By: AmunPtah

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/29/10 01:46 PM

I was really pleased to hear about Gabe 1 being released on GOG.com. I have been trying and failing to run the game for the last five or six years, and now I can finally re-experience one of my favourite adventures!

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/29/10 04:01 PM

Great! I recently found a GK game when cleaning out a drawer (The Beast Within) but didn't try to load it because I doubted that it would play well on my newer computer. It is nice to know that they are bringing back some of these great games and that they will play on newer computers.

How did you like playing the game again? Was it still as good as you remembered it or were the graphics and gameplay too dated?
Posted By: mrbill

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/29/10 06:42 PM

I'm hoping they will release the Zork games, Return To Zork, Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor.
Posted By: gamenut

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/29/10 09:21 PM

Would truly enjoy being able to play GK:Sins of the Fathers and The Zork games without having to do any 'tweaking' because i don't 'tweet' or do much 'tweaking' either! smile

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/29/10 09:28 PM

I keep looking for Ripper some day. I've got the game Ripper on the disk but it won't play on my xp won't even play on my win 98.
Richard
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/30/10 04:41 PM

I am so delighted with GOG, now have the Tex Murphy games and 3 of the Myst series and I see they also list The Dig. Sure wish they would grab up games like Beyond Time and Grim Fandango and offer them too (don't remember the studios who made these and lots of others).
Love, Betty Lou
Posted By: Jfi

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/30/10 09:01 PM

Hi,

This GOG sounds great, I would love to play GKI on my new computer.

Will the GOG download games work with Windows7?

Thanks

June

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/30/10 09:16 PM

They don't list Windows 7 here, but there's more discussion about GOG and Windows 7 in their forum here.
Posted By: ssgamer

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/30/10 09:50 PM

Hi all,

I bought GK 1, not because I needed it, as I have the hard disks and all three GKs' are installed on a XP computer (via vigons, mispelled I'm sure)and they work good but I want to help the cause along. GK II, doesn't work as well as I would like so when it come out will see if it works better.

Great game place!

Charllotte

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/30/10 10:23 PM

Hi Becky,

I went to the sites you susgested and I am going to study them. The people's questions and especially replies about Win7 look very promising.

But there is one thing I forgot to mention my computer has the 64bit, but so far everything I try seems to work OK. So I am going back to that second site and read what everyone has to say. It would be great to get GK1 on my Win7.

Thanks

June

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/31/10 05:40 AM

There shouldn't be a problem with win 7 64-bit, since most of the games either use DosBox or ScummVM (already implemented in the installer).

Besides, the GOG team test all games on all win configurations - XP/Vista and now win 7 smile

As for GK1 I can confirm it plays beatifully on Win7 Pro 64-bit.

The thing about GOG.com is, that you get addicted to games from them, because it's so darn easy and a trip down memory lane laugh

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 01/31/10 03:57 PM

Hi misslilo,

So glad to hear there are no problems with Win7 64 bits.

I am looking forward to downloading GK1 and other games.

Thanks

June
Posted By: lexxy

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/01/10 12:14 AM

I too have the original GKI but I wanted to help the cuase. I downloaded it and it plays fine but the background music is missing. I just wonder if anyone else is experiencing this.
Posted By: Tracy

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/02/10 10:22 AM

Hi everyone. I noticed someone asking about DOS box w/ the GOG games and I just downloaded Stonekeep and ran it. DOSbox seems to run on it's own automatically and I was in the game and playing in seconds! I'm thrilled to have found this because I always hated having to run DOSbox myself so this is a Godsend. smile

Just wanted to stick my head in and let you guys know.

Cat, off to Stonekeep for awhile longer wink

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/05/10 01:52 AM

Just added Dark Fall: Lights Out and Vampire The Masquerade Redemption and a couple other goodies in the first post.

Ana wave

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/05/10 03:18 AM

More good news! Thanks Ana! wave
Posted By: challis3

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/05/10 04:19 AM

I just played Pandora Directive on my Win 7 beautifully through GOG- can't wait to get to Killing Moon and Overseer.

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/05/10 05:16 AM

Wow !! Even MORE terrific games being offered yay yay

Thank you GOG bravo

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/23/10 01:33 PM

Just added Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within for 5.99! yay

Ana wave

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/23/10 01:42 PM

Yes yes yes! I'm so happy The Beast Within has been uploaded. Finally I can replay this masterpiece!

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/23/10 03:23 PM

I just knew this one would be their tuesday release laugh

I'm not so sure we'll be getting the 3rd one though, since it is still sold in stores.
I do hope they prove me wrong though - if they do, I just don't think it will be until easter smile

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/24/10 06:54 AM

This is great news. Although I have it on hard disk, paid some hundred dollars for it new in orginal, with book. I finally got it to play with a lot of tricks and problems. I will buy and down load as I like the way Tex Murphy plays now, no problems. Thanks.
Thanks GOG
Charllotte bravo
Posted By: venus

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/24/10 07:32 AM

Wow, they're adding so many excellent games. It's almost a shame I already have them. Almost. lol

Glad to see they are available for those who can't play them anymore and for new players as well. Love the Gabriel Knights. thumbsup
Posted By: Karsten

Gabriel Knigt 2 Retrospective @ GOG - 02/27/10 08:02 PM

Good Old Games (http://www.gog.com) has an editorial up about Gabriel Knight.
Here's a quote telling with the voice acting in the game:

Quote:
The interface and presentation of the game weren’t the only thing that changed. Gone was the star-studded voice cast of the original, with Tim Curry’s portrayal of Knight in Sins of the Fathers being replaced by a rather more understated performance from Dean Erickson. Erickson’s performance is solid, however, and his co-star Joanne Takahashi as Gabriel’s long-suffering assistant Grace, who plays a much more prominent role in The Beast Within that she did in Sins of the Fathers, gets Grace’s particular brand of curiosity, thoroughness and playful jibes at Gabriel’s expense just right.

And other news from http://www.gog.com this week, you can now buy King's Quest 4-6 at GOG.

source:
http://www.bluesnews.com/

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/27/10 08:22 PM

Hi Karsten -- I'm combining this with the GOG Gabriel Knight 2 thread. Sounds like an interesting editorial!
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/28/10 12:11 AM

I still think that Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within is one of the best adventure games that I have ever played. The plot is outstanding and I love how you play as Gabriel and Grace. If you have not played this gem before I suggest you do yourself a favor and add this game to your collection. thumbsup
Posted By: HeavenlyJoy

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/28/10 08:13 AM

Yes I totally agree, one of my top five games ever, I played it for the first time, just a year ago, ran fine on my XP,
and had a BLAST, I was blown away!!!
I also love the other two of these, Gab 1 and 3...
I played 2 first, then 3 and then 1,
I actually like 2 the best, then 3 then one,
but I loved them all, the stories are great,
I was a little disappointed in the first, since I played if for the first time, this last year, but
once I set aside my expectations about the graphics, I really enjoyed it also, the story was just as good as the others, so i also recommend them to anyone who has not played them...
great GEMS
Marcia
Posted By: venus

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/28/10 04:43 PM

HeavenlyJoy, that is the exact order that I have the GK games in as far as favorites are concerned, although I played them in order. smile I agree that they are all outstanding games. thumbsup

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/28/10 06:08 PM

My own order of preference is the order in which they were released smile

Sins of the Fathers blew me away when it was first released.
I had never experienced anything so good !!
And what Sierra were able to convey on screen with the graphic capabilities of the time was purely magnificent bravo

I was disappointed not to hear Tim Curry's sexy voice in GK2 evil but still enthralled by the game and the FMV mode was terrific thumbsup

GK3 was a different kettle of fish.
As always, an excellent story but the graphics were from the very start of 3D time and on my first play, I disliked the game because of that.
However, later re-plays have won me over laugh

Posted By: HeavenlyJoy

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 02/28/10 06:34 PM

I traded Gab 2 not long ago on the trade list,
I am not one that usually replays games, but
have been wanting to redo this one, because
I was so enchanted with the
FMV part of the game, I loved watching Grace,
she seemed to have a Magical presence,
hey Gab was nice to look at too wink
I thought WOW, no wonder she was smitten over him,
LOL
Yeh, I wish in the 3rd they would of kept the FMV,
but came around and loved it as well...

Marcia
Posted By: Gnabgib

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/01/10 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: kjos
I keep looking for Ripper some day. I've got the game Ripper on the disk but it won't play on my xp won't even play on my win 98.
Richard

I hope they put Ripper also. I got about halfway through using dosbox but now it won't load. I would love a vista compatible version, and an update of Phantasmagoria 2 as well.

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/01/10 02:49 AM

Hope Ripper comes real soon
Richard

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/02/10 07:21 PM

Phantasmagoria 2 is ready for a download at GOG,
Sorry about stacking posts
Richard

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/02/10 07:29 PM

Thanks Richard!

Ana wave

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/02/10 07:50 PM

broccoli Thanks, kjos !!!! broccoli
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/02/10 09:21 PM

I'm loving the games (MYST series right now) from GOG even tho I have the originals etc. However, I would love to see them offering Shivers I and Temujin and Beyond Time and Amerzone too - All the old games that will not play (without lots of tweeking and hair pulling and maybe not at all) on Windows XP, or Vista or 7.
Love, Betty Lou

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/03/10 01:38 AM

Finally made it to chapter two in Phantasmagoria 2. I remember playing this game years ago. I think I gave it away. What a great game and hard also. It was made in 1996 for dos or win 95.
Richard
Posted By: SharonB

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/03/10 03:46 PM

That's great news about Phantasmagoria 2. bravo I would be ordering it myself if I didn't already have it in the box.

I found out a while back that it plays just fine in VPC, Win 98. Will have to play this game soon.
Never did finish it when I got it.

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/03/10 04:09 PM

I played the first Phantasmagoria and really liked it until the end. Didn't realize that there was a second one. Does it take place in the same house? How is it different from the first one?

thanks!

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/03/10 07:12 PM

No, it's not a sequel in that sense.

Gameboomers has a review HERE

And Moby has one HERE
Posted By: Gnabgib

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/08/10 05:19 PM

I've tried for years to get Phantasmagoria 2 to work on my old xp comp, and my vista laptop. Played the full game once, now it always errors out. Thank You Good Old Games for allowing me to finally be able to play this game again.
Now crossing my fingers for Ripper by take two to show up.
Posted By: marie

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/09/10 01:22 AM

Oh Yeh! GOG rocks lol I'm playing Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon and its my first game and I'm hooked already. They have such a great list to choose from. I've always wanted to Pantasmagoria and now I can happydance

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/11/10 01:38 PM

Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned is available now! Yay!
Posted By: SharonB

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/11/10 03:03 PM

Fantastic! Can't wait... Must purchase now! ***Switches to GOG site, pays and starts downloading***

happydance happydance happydance

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/11/10 03:41 PM

More good news from GOG!
Posted By: Gobobby

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/11/10 11:51 PM

I am all agog!

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/12/10 03:51 AM

Hi,
Gabriel Knight 3, yes I have the disks and they play just fine, but how nice to not have all the disk changings. I did get them to play via vigons, full install, but will buy to help out so maybe some of the other older games, Beyond Time and such will become part of their list sooner or later.
Great company. Yes, Betty Lou, Temijun and Amerzone. No disks to change.
Charllotte

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/12/10 07:50 AM

Hi Gobobby! lol
Posted By: joanieS

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/12/10 02:22 PM

So, is there an advantage here if you already have the games and don't have a problem changing discs?

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/12/10 02:27 PM

It's to enable those that have been unable to play on there computers to be able to enjoy the games without tweaking. If you have it, played it and enjoy your copy, there is no reason to buy again.

Ana wave

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/12/10 05:44 PM

I have original versions of many oldies - which I re-play in turn on my two very old computers. But I'm well aware that these lovely old machines won't last forever cry

So I buy "tweaked" versions from GOG where possible as I know they will play easily on newer machines.

Which benefits both GOG and ME !! happydance happydance
Posted By: cassadaga

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/13/10 07:47 PM

I have a question and hope someone can help me out.
I purchased and downloaded GK2 without realizing that it's a 3g file.
Did anyone with an XP have any problems installing it? I'm afraid to try! eek
Why would an older game have such a huge file?
I'm in need of enlightenment! confused
Posted By: Zimbo

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/13/10 08:42 PM

Gabriel Knight 2 has a lot of full motion video, hence the size. It works fine as long as you have enough space on your hard drive, why shouldn't it?
Posted By: cassadaga

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/15/10 01:29 AM

Thanks Zimbo. Eventhough I've got an old computer and have kept upgrading it, I still have a hard time understanding RAM and hard disk space.
I can install the game now that I know it's hard drive space.
I've read so many great reviews for GK2 and I'm happy that I can finally play it . Thanks again.

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 01:27 PM

Next up for grab is the first 3 games of the Gobliiins series for only $5.99 laugh

And to clarify - it's the CD versions, not the original floppy.

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 02:38 PM

The Gobliiins are here, the Godbliins are here! grin Thanks misslilo.
Posted By: dorish

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 03:44 PM

I am having problems with the graphics on gk2, and gk1 is even worse. They are very pixelated.
I haven't seen anyone mentioning this on the other posts. Am I the only one having this problem? I would like to download Phantasmagoria, but am hesitant to do so.

Doreen

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 03:47 PM

They are old games, it's likely how they should be and not a problem you can fix.

Ana wave

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 03:57 PM

Thank you Ana,not quite the reply I was hoping for,as I was looking for a way to actually "see" what I was looking at on the screen. are the graphics for Phantasmagoria just as bad?

Doreen

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 04:05 PM

I think so, it hurts my eyes and others it does not bother at all. Here are some screenshots: Phantasmagoria

Gabriel Knight

Ana wave

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 04:39 PM

Yes, my eyes were hurting too. Were those screenshots for Phantasmagoria 1 or 2? They looked clearer than GK1. I am disappointed because I downloaded TLJ from there, and it was perfect. I know it is a more recent game, but it was my first download from GOG, so I was expecting the other downloads to be of the same quality--my mistake.

Doreen

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 04:47 PM

The quality of the download can only be as good as the quality of the game. These are not remakes of the game, they are the original game tweaked to run on your newer machines. Unfortunately they have no control about how the game was made.

Ana wave

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 04:56 PM

Thank you for the info ana.

Doreen

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 05:12 PM

I haven't played alot of these either, but the pixelated pictures give me such a headache I just can't play them even though they'll run on my computer. I'm sorry you can't enjoy them either Doreen.

Sorry, I missed your question earlier, the screenshots were of Phantasmagoria 1.

Ana wave
Posted By: meryl

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 06:16 PM

I downloaded the first Gabriel Knight game - Sins of the Fathers. But I am so disappointed just after starting to play the game.
The sound is fine but the picture seems to be composed of a fuzzy mosaic.
Before I ask for help on the glitches forum or go back to GOG, can you tell me if this was how the original game looked. Perhaps I shouldn't expect too much of a game this old.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 06:20 PM

mreyl, see the posts above you. We were just discussing this. I comnbined the threads.

Ana wave
Posted By: meryl

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 08:59 PM

Thanks Ana,
Glad it's not just my computer or something I'm doing wrong. Disappointing though as these GK games have such a good press.
Guess I'll play until I can't stand it anymore.
Meryl
Posted By: bigmamma1

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 08:59 PM

Regarding the several comments about GK2 Beast Within-I did fairly recently play it on WINXP with no problems. The game window was smaller than usual, but everything worked fine. Great game.
Posted By: Feeb88

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/23/10 09:39 PM

I avoided GK1 specifically because of how I suspected the pixel-art visuals would look on my monitor, but I can't say I've had a problem with either GK2 or Phantasmagoria. That is, I noticed the less-than-perfect video quality but it hasn't prevented me from making anything out.

Those affected may want to try windowed mode (Alt+Enter, in-game), if you haven't already. It might actually be easier on the eyes!

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/24/10 11:18 PM

Marie, I moved your post to here.

Ana wave

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/25/10 02:49 PM

And now - "drum roll"

The Syberia series laugh

Re: GOG.com Brings Legendary Activision Games Back to Life - Gabriel Knight 3 added - 03/25/10 03:51 PM

Thanks misslilo! wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community