GB HOMEPAGE

I want to push my computer to its limits

Posted By: Mary

I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/24/10 06:35 PM

I just got a new Windows 7 computer, with lots of memory, hard drive and a 1024MB video card. I haven't bought many games over the past year or so because my old computer (7 years old)couldn't handle them.
Sooo, I'm asking advice on what new game to try that will show off what my computer can do! I'm tempted to try and install Siberia, because it's so beautiful, but maybe something new will fit what I'm looking for?

Right now I've got Sherlock Holmes/Jack the Ripper installed, as well as Dark Fall: Lost Souls.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/24/10 06:45 PM

None of the adventure games, you'd need to try a FPS or something.

Ana wave

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/24/10 07:59 PM

Uh...no. No FPS. I was thinking more along the lines of the beauty of the surroundings, how you maneuver around, the detail in buildings, clouds in the sky...that sort of thing.

FPS!!?? Not my cup of Java (don't drink tea!).
Posted By: Becky

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/24/10 08:17 PM

They may not work your computer as much as a FPS, but if you like tropical surroundings, you could try So Blonde, Treasure Island, Tales of Monkey Island, Return to Mysterious Island 2, or Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island -- all of which have beautiful environments. Most of them have pirates too, though that might just be a coincidence.
Posted By: Butcher

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/25/10 03:44 AM

You want to bring your pc to its knees? Try Crysis in DX10. There is a benchmark included with the game if i remember correctly so you don't have to actually play the game.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/25/10 10:41 AM

The newer Tomb Raider games have fantastically beautiful environments to explore.
Posted By: robedits

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/25/10 11:48 AM

Actually,Memento mori has high graphics standards.
Most of the adventure games are 2D,with only 3D characters,so you'rte not going to stretch things TOO much.
There are also RPGs like OBlivion that tax ANY computers.
And,as another poster noted,the Crysis games are very high-gfx intensive...but its a FPS.
Finally,Bioshock is a good combo adventure/FPS...a great game...that taxes settings on highest levels.
Posted By: venus

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/25/10 07:31 PM

I second Memento Mori - it's a very beautiful adventure game. thumbsup

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/25/10 08:34 PM

I guess I misled people when I titled this topic, but since it was on the adventure game discussion page, I thought that everyone would know that adventure games was what I was asking about. Sorry, I should have been clearer.
Anyhow, I appreciate the suggestions. I will look into Memento Mori and/or Return to Mysterious Island 2.
Posted By: colpet

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/25/10 08:59 PM

Why not try Uru live? You can really crank up the graphics and effects, AND probably move easily too.

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/25/10 09:08 PM

Colpet,
I've been watching the thread here about Uru live, and I think it appears to be too much socializing for me. From what I've read, there are some puzzles that you just can't do by yourself, and I'm really not good at having playing partners--I like doing things by myself, at my own time. So I think I'll pass on that.
Posted By: cazziejoe

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 02/28/10 11:58 PM

Mary if you like tad bit of "action" try "Lost" and the "King Kong" game. The graphics are incredible (and I actually think you can get them at Amazon for about a buck.")
caz

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 03/01/10 02:30 AM

cazziejoe,
I have too much stress in my life as it is; I don't need to add more stress worrying about being killed in my leisure game time when I'm trying to de-stress in real time.
(Boy, I hope you can follow that train of thought; I don't know if I can!)
Posted By: SkeeterUK

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 03/01/10 06:24 AM

Dreamfall is the only one i can think of that will push a system compared to other adv games, tho its not that demanding its more demanding than the usual adv games.
Posted By: colpet

Re: I want to push my computer to its limits - 03/01/10 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Mary
Colpet,
I've been watching the thread here about Uru live, and I think it appears to be too much socializing for me. From what I've read, there are some puzzles that you just can't do by yourself, and I'm really not good at having playing partners--I like doing things by myself, at my own time. So I think I'll pass on that.

At least 90% of the game can be played by yourself. Your Ages are solitary, and you even get your own version of the city to be alone in.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community