GB HOMEPAGE

GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork?

Posted By: traveler

GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 03:37 AM

They've put up a Police Line until the 18th with specific instructions not to cross...and a bunch of code behind that seems to contain hints of what's coming. Speculation is running high (or maybe just hopeful) that one (or more?) of the Zork games may be their next release. Mad, I think you're a Zork fan; why don't you take a look and see if you think the guesses in the forum are right?

For sure, those guys do know how to get our interest!

Gil.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 03:55 AM

The Zork series would be a huge hit. Those games were very popular.

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 04:24 AM

Whatever comes, I hope it's an adventure game. I've never played any of the Zork games, SQF. Have you?

Gil.
Posted By: Mad

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 04:31 AM

I did a quick visit and certainly noted a lot of
Click to reveal..
"Z"s, and the words "passage", "eaten" and "maze"
all of which could apply.

But who knows ???? lol

Didn't have time to visit the Forum though ....

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 04:37 AM

Mad, you're quick! People in the forum noticed those words, too, and a few more but you got the gist of it. If it is Zork, which one would you be hoping for? (If you didn't have it already.)

Gil.

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 05:08 AM

Yes .. I do already own all my favourite Zork games - and more than one version of some, where XP versions were released later laugh
But if GOG perfected Return to Zork for modern machines, I would definitely go for that yay
Posted By: JeanK

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 05:14 AM

"Want some rye? Course you do!" lol

Some of my favorite games of all time. I really hope they do them!

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 05:19 AM

traveler,

I played several of the Zork games. The original games were text only and the later games in the series were really good especially Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor. I'm just guessing but I think the Zork games numbered in double digits.
Posted By: DaveHT

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 07:18 AM

This is a very interesting license for GOG to pick up. I am interested in seeing what the commercial reaction to these IF releases. The games are widely available as abandonware already, and it may be a difficult sell to the community.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 03:32 PM

Dave, there are plenty of illegal downloads of all games, old and new, available. Per our rules on GameBoomers they are not permitted or you will lose your member privileges. I would hope that our members and many other gamers would jump on the chance to purchase these games if they are made available to get legally because they acted responsibly and did not illegally download prior.

Ana

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 03:57 PM

I just checked on Google and it looks like at least 13 Zork games exist. Nine of which were text games. If you count fan games the count goes to 21 games. I still remember opening the mailbox in the first game. Things sure have changed in the gaming world.

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 04:48 PM

Dave, I've seen mention of IF several times and I have no idea what it means. Could you elucidate?

Gil.

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 04:57 PM

Gil, IF stands for Interactive Fiction.

Ana wave
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: traveler
Dave, I've seen mention of IF several times and I have no idea what it means. Could you elucidate?

Gil.

Interactive Fiction - Early games like Hunt the Wumpus, Leather Goddesses of Phobos and The Colossal Cave Adventure were IF's.
Posted By: Ewil02

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 07:44 PM

If they get the Zork games, I wonder if they'll have the other Infocom games available (Lost Treasures of Infocom)? There were some great games there like Planetfall, Hitchhikers guide, Moonmist, Wishbringer to name a few. smile
Posted By: Krispi

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 09:53 PM

I bought the Infocom Masterpieces collection years ago, this had over 30 titles on it, including Hitchhikers, The Lurking Horror, Deadline (which I owned the original of once!), Trinity as well as loads of pdfs of all the manuals, hint sheets, and other gubbins you got with the games. Great collection, unfortunately they won't work on newer operating systems unless you use something like DOSBox.

Maybe GOG are going to release an updated version of the collection?

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/16/11 11:21 PM

"Interactive Fiction"

Oh, duh! Talk about feeling dumb.

Gil.
Posted By: DaveHT

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/17/11 05:18 AM

I entirely agree with your sentiments. The economic challenge will be more for IF games than graphic adventures, though. We all remember that GOG began with graphic adventures. Diversifying their portfolio is always a challenge, and the choice for IF (assuming this is true) is a bold one.

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Dave, there are plenty of illegal downloads of all games, old and new, available. Per our rules on GameBoomers they are not permitted or you will lose your member privileges. I would hope that our members and many other gamers would jump on the chance to purchase these games if they are made available to get legally because they acted responsibly and did not illegally download prior.

Ana
Posted By: BubbaJake

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/17/11 03:50 PM

I only know Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor. I hope it's one or both of those, although I can play the second with no help now. Nemesis needs all kinds of PC slowing help and is still not perfect. I currently own copies of both of these games, but like Tex games, will buy them again to play them correctly without any patches or whatnot.
Posted By: mrbill

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/17/11 05:11 PM

Hi All,

Exciting isn't it? The words "You are" "maze of alike passages" "It black are likely eaten by" Zs all over the place and 2s all over the place. If there are 3 graphical Zorks to choose from, then from a GUE historical point of view I would guess Zork Grand Inquisitor, but from a view of release dates it would be Nemesis. I don't think it will be IF, but I've been wrong once before. smile Ouch! I am being SMMMMIIIITTTTENNN!!!! I must get away from the Inquisitor!

Can't wait! Zorks are some of my very favorites laugh

Mr. Bill
Posted By: Koalanut

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/17/11 08:07 PM

Oh boy, I would love to play Zork again! Still have the discs, but would love to have it work without tweaking! Looking forward to checking tomorrow! happydance

Koalanut
Posted By: gamern

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/17/11 11:19 PM

Not trying to change the topic, but the police tape and name "Detective Sonny Bonds" suggests Police Quest I-III.
Posted By: Mary

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/17/11 11:40 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Zork Nemesis; it's second only to Myst as my favorite game. I loved it!

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/17/11 11:42 PM

Maybe it's both Zork and Police Quest! Anyway, tomorrow we'll know.

Gil
Posted By: MaG

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/18/11 12:02 PM

Taken from mail from GOG.con:

Quote:
After covering GOG main page with Poilce line last Friday, and giving some clues over the weekend we're now ready to end all speculations and confirm today's release of Zork Anthology ($5.99) and Police Quest series ($9.99) while more great classics from Activision will be coming soon!

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/18/11 03:09 PM

0.o! Does this mean they will be updated to work with new operating systems? I'd definitely want to get them then. Um, not to appear uninformed or anything, but what in the world is GOG, and what is their website?

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/18/11 03:13 PM

Jean, you can access it here: Gog.com

It is made to run on newer machines.

Ana wave

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/18/11 03:19 PM

Thanks Ana!

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/18/11 03:34 PM

"...the choice for IF (assuming this is true) is a bold one."

You nailed it, DaveHT. These are Zork text adventures. Well, I'm up for a challenge (and they are a challenge for me, I'm so bad at "talking" to the game to get anywhere) but I can always hope that the graphic adventures will follow along in time.

Gil.

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/18/11 07:15 PM

Boy was I wrong! frown

I still hope to see Return to Zork and Zork Grand Inquisitor get done by GOG. I already have the Anthology so I'll have to sit back, be patient and keep hoping.

I have to say that I am thrilled with what GOG.com is doing and I will do whaterver it takes to support them. It was also very nice to find out about DotEmu.com here on GameBoomers as well. Thank You!

Cheers,

Bill

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/19/11 01:08 AM

"I have to say that I am thrilled with what GOG.com is doing and I will do whaterver it takes to support them."

Me too, mrbill thumbsup

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/19/11 01:54 AM

Gog sure is picking up a lot of fans. I can't wait to see what they put out next.
Posted By: Melia

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/20/11 12:47 AM

Based on what I heard from you guys about Zork, I went to GOG and downloaded it. I've gotta say that I don't like it. All I get is written text in DOS with a flashing curser that expects me to write something.

Is that the way the game is supposed to go? I don't get it.

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/20/11 03:49 AM

That's what a text adventure IS yes

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/20/11 04:42 AM

Melia,

The Zork games they've all been saying they liked so much are not text adventures. The ones GOG has just released are early in the series, back when gaming was new, AFAIK. With luck, eventually GOG will have the later games.

Gil.

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/20/11 04:01 PM

Hi Melia,

That's how adventure gaming started back in the mid to late 1970s. The computers were massive called main-frames and filled entire rooms. They were not able to deal much at all with graphics at the time. When home computers came out they were very expensive and could only run small programs like text adventures. Zork 1 was released for sale in about 1980 for over $40.00. What you just bought would have cost over $250 and the computer that would run them might have cost up to several thousand dollars. What you are playing is a bit of gaming history. Give them a chance and let your imagination soar. Depending on what you type in might give you a few belly laughs. There are walkthroughs available to help you out.

Take care,

Mr. Bill
Posted By: Karsten

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/20/11 06:41 PM

If you have played the first Monkey Island game, you'll know what to do. Just write n for north, s for south, e for east and w for west.

You need to type in commands like 'open mailbox' or 'close window' or 'open grate' or 'look down' or 'look up'. And try not to be eaten by a grue (hint: they don't like light much...grues that is)

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/21/11 01:41 AM

Hi Melia-

Mr Bill has a great page over at his Adventureland which helps to explain which commands can be used for the text adventures-

http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com/howto/intfiction/textplay.htm

You also might want to check out Wikipedia for background info on 'interactive fiction', 'Infocom', or even 'Zork' to get a feel for what IF's are all about. smile

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/21/11 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Karsten
If you have played the first Monkey Island game, you'll know what to do. Just write n for north, s for south, e for east and w for west.

I never had to do that with The Secret of Monkey Island.
My first version of the game was on those huge floppies, my next was on the 3.5 and currently I have it on CD.

So, there was an even older version that MY first one ??

Mind boggling laugh
Posted By: Melia

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/21/11 03:03 PM

Thanks, all. I didn't realize that what I'd bought was a text adventure. I'll try your website, Mr. Bill, and see how it goes.

Which are the games with pictures, too?

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/21/11 03:47 PM

Hi Melia-

I think the following later Zork games either had some pictures or were entirely graphic- Zork Zero, Zork Nemesis, Return to Zork and Zork Grand Inquisitor.

I also remember the old Legend Entertainment games as having some pictures to go along with the text adventure. Some were written by Steve Meretzky who wrote a bunch of the Infocom games. These were games such as Spellcasting 101-301, Gateway 1 and 2, and Eric the Unready. Great games.
Posted By: Karsten

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/21/11 05:19 PM

I just meant that in the first Monkey Island game, you had to actually write talk or walk. But for the movement you used the arrow keys or the mouse.

Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor are games with graphics.

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/21/11 05:36 PM

Melia,

Return to Zork (1993), Zork Nemesis (1996) and Zork Grand Inquisitor (1997) are the Zork graphic adventure games.

Take care,

Mr. Bill
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/21/11 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Karsten
I just meant that in the first Monkey Island game, you had to actually write talk or walk. But for the movement you used the arrow keys or the mouse.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the first King's Quest? As far as I know, every version of Secret of Monkey Island used the SCUMM engine, where you pick a verb that's listed on the screen and never actually type anything in. SCUMM was first introduced in LucasArt's Maniac Mansion. JA has an article on SCUMM ***here***.
Check the screenshots at Mobygames. There's no place to type.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/secret-of-monkey-island/screenshots

But with the first King's Quest, yes you had to type, and you can see where your words appear at the bottom of the screen in these screenshots.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/kings-quest/screenshots

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/22/11 04:03 AM

Thanks, Jenny100 !! smile

I was sure I HAD bought "the" original version of Monkey Island when I first purchased it thumbsup

[Just love those games and still re-play them regularly yay]

Cheers.

Mad happydance
Posted By: BeaSong

Re: GOG is up to something. Could it be Zork? - 01/29/11 05:06 AM

I'm playing a Zork game on my iPad now. It is the last story in a list of the app called "Frotz"
© 2024 GameBoomers Community