GB HOMEPAGE

Carol Reed parody

Posted By: Mikael

Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 09:39 AM

This is, without exaggeration, the most fun I've had this year. It's a freeware game called "Darryl Creed", and is a parody of the Carol Reed games. (I might add that I'm the developer of the Carol Reed games, for those who don't know).

It's made by a Swedish team, and set in the town Uddevalla.

I'm surprised that I hadn't heard of this game before, since it's been out since August 2009.

Be warned that there is some violence in the game. It's not realistic though, and no blood is visible. There is also some mild swearing.

Unfortunately, the sound doesn't work on Windows 7.

Download the game from here:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20030542/Darryl+Creed.exe

Or here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B0MZAQW4
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 12:22 PM

Glad they made a fun parody and that you don't mind. I'll for sure be checking it out. Thanks for the headsup and I too am surprised no one here has posted about it yet.

Ana wave
Posted By: Gamer

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 01:31 PM

Ive never heard about it either. I love the "carol Reed" games and will be wure to check this out. smile
Posted By: Becky

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 01:49 PM

Mikael -- are there subtitles? (I have Win 7.)
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 02:45 PM

I downloaded and just started playing. Yes, it has full subtitles. smile Having fun with it so far!
Posted By: Becky

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 03:01 PM

Thanks Rushes! wave
Posted By: Bristol

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 04:02 PM

Thanks, Mikael. Just playing Blue Madonna which I won here pn GB. An excellent game. All the Carol Reed games are my favorites, can't pick between them.
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 04:52 PM

The game is absolutely playable without sound. I did so myself the first time.

I forgot to mention that a walkthrough is in the game folder.
Posted By: Koalanut

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 06:51 PM

Downloading this one and gotta go buy Blue Madonna on BFG. Thanks Mikael! rah

Koalanut
Posted By: Ewil02

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 07:19 PM

Mikael-Thanks for the links and thanks a lot for the Carol Reed games! thanks

You know you've hit the 'Big Time' when someone does a parody of your game.
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 07:50 PM

I'd have never found that 4th stamp without the walkthrough.

I'd like to have seen his newspaper ad. Just how does one advertise that he's
Click to reveal..
an assassin for hire?

Good to still have XP. smile
Posted By: lazydaisy

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 08:44 PM

I can't get the download to install.

WinXP------Any ideas what is happening?

Edit: Got it all figured out -- Firewall/Defense settings caused my issues. All's good now.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 08:59 PM

Thanks for that link, Mikael, I will be downloading shortly thumbsup

Played and enjoyed ALL your games and am sure I'll be entertained by the "parody" as well lol

However, I do hope you are busy working on the next "real" Carol Reed game wink
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 10:04 PM

As they say, "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery"... (tho' IMO, it's just one of many). I just DL'd "Darryl Creed" & can't wait to see what kind of parody has be made of our Carol ! grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update: Just began playing. No rough stuff yet... and I've had several laughs from the get-go... the humor is 'dark-ish', subtle, & funny (..noisy kids that used to play outside no longer being a problem..) and it's definitely from a man's POV (very unlike Carol). Nice 'heads up' mention from Darryl to Carol, as well. I'm really enjoying this trip through another part of Sweden; through another's eyes... though I'm still waiting for this lovely 'Calm' to come to an end... as our 'hero' gets to 'work'.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/22/11 10:53 PM

thanks Mikael
Posted By: 8dognight

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/23/11 01:29 AM

Darryl Creed is funny. The opening letter made me laugh out loud; it's hilariously politically incorrect. The play is identical to Carol Reed without the talented photography and photoshop skill that turn snapshots into digital Monets.

So far I've gotten to a church. I didn't get anything out of a barrel earlier so I guess I've missed something.

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/23/11 02:49 AM

I could not find the walk through in my download. There is a webpage that says file is no longer available.

I also could not figure out how to get the "thing" out of the barrel.

This has been hilarious so far. The comments are very creative. Great fun! And I found that 4th stamp after the earlier hint about how hard it was -- set me to thinking in a different way.

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/23/11 06:16 AM

What a little gem of a game !! Laughed myself right through it lol

Thank you so much for letting us know of it, Mikael thumbsup
And I would like to thank the developers too, if that's possible bravo

[Can they be contacted ??]
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/23/11 12:27 PM

lazydaisy, the walkthrough is a text file inside the main program file, which for XP is at C:\Program Files\Darryl Creed. If you can't locate it I'll gladly e-mail you my own copy. Otherwise if you're stuck, post at Hints. happydance

Mad, the developer's e-mail addy is in the game's Read Me file.

I finished the game last night. It made me cackle.
Posted By: Penny Lane

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/23/11 03:37 PM

The game is very "Carol Reedish". It makes me want another Carol Reed game soon! This game is not as polished as Mikael's games but it plays almost identically to his. I am enjoying it so far!Thanks Mikael!

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/23/11 07:44 PM

Thanks, Rushes, for making me explore further hunting for the walkthrough. I finally found the "right" folder. I thought I installed it in my special "games" folder, and it appeared to be there,but was only the exe for the game. Thought I was playing from that location, but I was wrong. It installed on the C: drive in it's own folder. The walkthough etc. are there.

Don't know exactly how that all happened, but glad I found it. Thanks for encouraging me to persevere in the search.

Maybe something to do with earlier install errors because of firewall settings. IDK

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/23/11 09:49 PM

"Mad, the developer's e-mail addy is in the game's Read Me file."

Thanks, Rushes thumbsup
Posted By: old lady

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/25/11 02:46 PM

I'm also a great fan of Carol Reed and loved this. It had me laughing right the way through
Posted By: 8dognight

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/25/11 11:06 PM

If there is a sequel, I await a shady but perky girlfriend employed by an embassy or consulate and Creed's roommate's door exploding. Maybe Creed will have to move because of the silenced children or splintered door.

No, the door can't explode. Too fancy.

Darryl Creed was great fun. I never used the walkthrough even once because I saw the file only once, then couldn't relocate it. That's good. Too many casual, meaning too easy and the with walkthroughs, too, games make for a sloppy mind.

I wish some clever souls would do some GK parodies.
Posted By: Penny Lane

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/26/11 01:46 PM

Love your screen name 8dognight! One of my favorite bands (behind The Beatles) is 3 Dog Night. puppy puppy puppy
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/26/11 09:18 PM

Just finished and enjoyed a lot... and would like to see more... BUT....

...because I don't care for the assassin theme, I'd like to see a Darryl Creed who has decided to act on the side of the 'good guys,' like his favorite female detective, Carol Reed.

The two characters could exist independently, as could the games be developed independently of each other. There could be a co-mingling of the characters and stories (like The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew).

I'd pay for a kinder, gentler Darryl Creed, right along with my purchases for future Carol Reed Mysteries. Darryl could use his old assassin skills as protection (of himself & Carol), if needed, and keep his dark humor & wit, too (love that), but no more hired-killer stuff.

If I had my d'ruthers, that's what I'd like to see.grin

Re: Carol Reed parody - 02/26/11 11:46 PM

For those that weren't aware, the developers also did a couple other similar games which can be downloaded-
""The Room" and "The Apartment" is a first person adventure games with a twisted sense of humor. The whole games are created with a program called "Adventure Maker" and there isn't any coding/programming behind these games. They may appear a bit crude, but these are games that you should not take seriously and the whole point with them is to make you laugh.

Story
In "The Room" you are playing a character who is trapped in a room and have to escape.
In "The Apartment" you are playing the same character as in "The Room", but this time he have to escape from an apartment.
That's it."
The Room: A Prequel to The Apartment (This is the prequel to the main game.)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FVPGQOV2

The Apartment: A Sequel to The Room: A Prequel to The Apartment (This is the main game)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3XVK79I6

A walkthru has been posted at the following website for both games-
Website: http://dagonproductions.blogg.se/category/home.html

Posted By: Iurii

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 06:20 AM

Thanks! Somehow I have missed this great game years ago.
Maybe somebody could please share working links to 'The Room' and 'The Apartment' as well?

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 03:07 PM

Is this The Room you are looking for?

Ana wave
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

It wouldn't be that one. That "The Room" is a puzzle game that was released on iPad before being released on PC. You are not playing as someone who is trapped in an appartment in the "The Room" that is on Steam.

Anyone interested in the two games "The Room" and "The Apartment" might try emailing the developer and asking about the games using the email form at
http://dagonproductions.blogg.se/2008/july/valkommen-till-min-nya-blogg.html

The only direct download links I'm finding are to torrent websites.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 03:43 PM

I just tried to download darryl creed and the 2 links are not working.

Edit

I went to Free Games Galore and found the link... it worked
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 05:23 PM

There is also the nicely done Indie Carol Reed clone by Johan Grinde called The Artifact which, because of all this talk, I am replaying right now. I must also add that the game is playing very well on my Windows 7 64bit.

I know that Darryl Creed played perfect on XP but upon loading it I have no sound. Has anyone tried this on Windows 7 64bit and know a way to get the sound to work?

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 05:31 PM

Isn't the artifact the one that is no longer available the last couple years?

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 05:51 PM

'The Artifact' is a nice game as well! I have it in case anybody wants to play it.
GreyFuss, the only way to get sound in 'Darryl' is to play it in Windows XP! It could be possible to enable sound in Windows 7 by re-building the game in the latest version of Adventure Maker - I have asked the author about it, but unfortunately he no longer has the source code.
Posted By: Chief

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 05:53 PM

I remember asking MaG to pull out The Artifact game from Galore.

If we could get a working link, that would be great.

Chief wave
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Winfrey
I just tried to download darryl creed and the 2 links are not working.

No those links from gamefront and megaupload that were posted back in 2011 are no longer working.
Neither are the links posted in 2012.
However before the links were removed, I had downloaded the game and saved it on my external drive.
When the 2012 links stopped working in 2013, I uploaded the game to my dropbox account as described in this old thread ***here*** and ***here***.
The dropbox link where I uploaded the game in 2013 is still good.

Quote:
I went to Free Games Galore and found the link... it worked

Free Games Galore links to the dropbox link where I uploaded the game.
So unless dropbox deletes my account, the link will stay good.

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 06:55 PM

Here, I tried to upload 'The Artifact', hope it works:
http://1drv.ms/1WwpCBM

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 07:15 PM

By the way, I have asked Dagon Productions about "The Room" and "The Apartment" - but no, they do not seem to have it...
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/16/15 09:47 PM

Very nice of you Iurii

There was also another similar type game that was only released at Big Fish games sadly. Relics: Dark Hours http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/6777/relics/?pc

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/17/15 01:44 PM

GreyFuss, thanks for the link to "Relics"! But it is not Swedish smile And it's not made of just photos, it's made as FMV - luckily we have quite a few FMV-adventures today.
And as for the photo adventures, I can also refer to 'Capri' series by Gey and Silvio Savarese - Italian pictures are usually more picturesque than Swedish smile

I have re-uploaded 'The Artifact' as the installer *.exe file (as many could prefer it over the archive) - http://1drv.ms/1IWto05

And I do hope that somebody could have 'The Room' and 'The Apartment' sitting somewhere on their hard drive...
Posted By: Chief

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/17/15 05:06 PM

Thanks Iurii.

I'll ask MaG to post the link at Free Games Galore.

Chief wave

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/17/15 09:17 PM

Speaking of "The Artifact", I think the developer made a sequel (The Artifact II) which I've been looking for but have not found to date- it may not be in English, but any info on that game would be appreciated.

Unfortunately my files of the Apartment and The Room were lost with my old computer.

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/17/15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Ewil02
Speaking of "The Artifact", I think the developer made a sequel (The Artifact II) which I've been looking for but have not found to date- it may not be in English, but any info on that game would be appreciated.

He never finished it and to my knowledge wasn't working on it anymore. He's on FB and last I spoke to him he wasn't doing anything anymore on the games.

Ana wave

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/18/15 03:43 AM

One year ago Johan (the author) told me that he has put the second game on hold as he is quite busy - but he hasn't given up on it and is planning on making it bigger than the first one. So let's hope 'The Artifact 2' would be done some day!

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/18/15 03:53 AM

That is great Iurii. I believe my last contact with him was 2013 and it was on hold then.

Re: Carol Reed parody - 08/18/15 11:28 PM

Thanks BET and Iurii-

I guess we'll have to be patient and hope for the best.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community