GB HOMEPAGE

Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes

Posted By: Becky

Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/01/11 07:39 PM

The strange and terrifying past is finally catching up to Black Mirror Castle and its innocent (or not so innocent) neighbors. Rushes prepares for dark revelations, as the final chapter in the Gordon family saga unfolds.

Black Mirror III: Final Fear
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/01/11 07:44 PM

Thanks for a great read Rushes!

Thanks Becky.

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/01/11 07:49 PM

Thanks so much for the review, Rushes. I enjoyed your Black Mirror II review as well. I'm looking forward to playing this game. smile
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/01/11 08:32 PM

Thanks Becky for the link & Rushes for a spot-on review. I'm in mid-flow playing at the moment & know exactly what you mean by not picking-up speed - it took me a long time to get into it! Some of the problems you've mentioned I haven't experienced - for me the game is playing very smoothly, the inventory bar slides along nicely & I haven't noticed (so far) the music drowning out the dialogue - I guess I'm lucky! I agree with the very dodgy voice-acting - I'm not sure there's a true accent there except from Darren (as himself) & the stand-a-lone puzzles (far & few between so far) are not great! I'm enjoying the story a lot but thought way back & agree that out of the 3 it is by far the weakest game. A very fair review! praise
Posted By: smulan

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/01/11 09:48 PM

Thanks for a funny, a bit sharp, article.
Black Mirror 1 I enjoyed a lot, number 2 I gave up playing about one third into the game. Your review convinces me 3 is not at all my game.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/02/11 03:49 AM

Thanks for the very welcome review, Rushes smile

But oh, dear !! Not a lot of praise !! shocked

I haven't started the game yet but was hoping for a "fantastic" finale to the series slapforehead

What is offered, however, sounds very disappointing rolleyes
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/02/11 09:58 AM

Thanks for the Review Rushes. I love the series!
Posted By: JeanK

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/02/11 12:35 PM

Darn, I may skip it too. I had high hopes for it.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/02/11 01:02 PM

Thank You, Rushes

Thanks, Becky
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/02/11 01:42 PM

If you're not sure about it, try the demo and see what you think of that. It sets the pace and tone for the rest of the game.

There are members here who enjoyed BM3. For me, it was a slow water torture.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. smile
Posted By: venus

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/02/11 03:41 PM

Thanks for the review, Rushes. Sorry you didn't enjoy the game as much, though. frown

I'm actually enjoying it more than the second game. Almost finished with it, though I stopped at
Click to reveal..
the shade room puzzle
for now. Just haven't been brave enough to try it yet, I guess. lol
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/03/11 06:24 PM

I've now finished the game & although there were some very frustrating parts particularly in the later chapters where it seemed to 'lose direction' it seemed to find it again in the last chapter albeit at a snail's pace! I loved the conclusion to the story, although mind-boggling, & thinking about replaying BM1! I'm probably in a minority here but I thought the shade room puzzle was one of the more interesting ones! If you've enjoyed the first two games I think you will enjoy this one just to see what it's all about (if you can fathom it out!)but would recommend reading Rushes' review 1st! smile
Posted By: GBC

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/04/11 10:37 AM

Thanks Rushes for the review.

I guess I'm one that really enjoyed the game. I didn't encounter any problems at all. Except for the pace being a little slow I truly enjoyed BM3.
Posted By: sureshot

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/04/11 02:53 PM

Thank you RUSHES for the great review. bravo

I too have to throw in with you. I really liked the series but III was killing me with the slow pace and line after line of dialog.

The game itself was right up there with the graphics, story line, and game play - but the pace dragged me down a bit.

sleep
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/04/11 07:44 PM

That review confused me. Makes it sound bad then gives it a B. Must not be all that bad.
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/04/11 07:50 PM

B for the gorgeous graphics and acknowledging that plenty other folks are not likely to mind the slow pace, or be irritated by the poor quality voice acting/dialogue. I took that into consideration when awarding Ye Grande B rating.
Posted By: sureshot

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/05/11 06:04 PM

I wouldn't say that bad, it's just that I expected a better experience. I did complete I and II and had to play it out with III which I am glad I did.

III did have it merits - the scenes were well done and the game play was good. I just got very frustrated with the very heavy dialog lines here and there and it made the game draggy.

I think Rushes nailed it with her great review.

All in all, it was worth playing for me.
Posted By: Magwitch

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/19/11 02:22 PM

Sorry to come late to the thread, but I wanted to say thanks for Rushes' excellent review (as always!)and to say I wish I'd read it before I bought the game! I completely agree that it's by far the weakest of the series - a great shame, as I loved the first two. I've struggled to spend more than 20 minutes at a time on it before getting bored, which hardly ever happens with me. In fact, given that my copy of The Witcher 2 is arriving tomorrow, I doubt I'll finish it.

Oh dear, what is going on with dialogues/translation/voice-acting in adventure games these days? Is it just me or have standards dropped in general? I'm seriously considering abandoning the adventure genre completely, apart from the odd big release, despite having been an adventure gamer since I acquired my very first computer more than a decade ago. frown

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/19/11 03:09 PM

Well, I'm quite a way into the game now and although the start was slow I have to say I've definitely been enjoying it since !! thumbsup

Just goes to show how different we all are lol

I think sometimes just too much hype goes on when a much anticipated release is on the cards and people's expectations get pushed too high duh

I certainly think that was the case with Gray Matter rolleyes
Posted By: Magwitch

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/19/11 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Well, I'm quite a way into the game now and although the start was slow I have to say I've definitely been enjoying it since !! thumbsup

Just goes to show how different we all are lol

I think sometimes just too much hype goes on when a much anticipated release is on the cards and people's expectations get pushed too high duh

I certainly think that was the case with Gray Matter rolleyes

Yes, I agree, sometimes expectations can be too high. Maybe that was my problem with BM3. I had very high expectations for Gray Matter too, though, and I absolutely loved it. I thought it was almost a masterpiece, actually.

Re: Black Mirror III: Final Fear -- A Review by Rushes - 05/19/11 03:27 PM

I've only played a little of Gray Matter as yet so I can't give an opinion.
[Just wanted to get a taste of it after the mixed reactions on its release.]

But it will have to be mightily good to be Gabriel Knight standard laugh
© 2024 GameBoomers Community