GB HOMEPAGE

If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game...

Posted By: Becky

If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/27/12 11:53 AM

I've been playing Pahelika: Revelations (it's discussed in the GB Casual Games forum here). I haven't consulted a walkthrough this much since RHEM 4. lol

If you're the type of gamer who relishes tough puzzles, even though this is considered a casual game, you should give it a try.

Don't let the purple sparkles lead you to think this game is easy! The purple sparkles are mere purple frosting on the devious layers of puzzle toughness. evil

Pahelika Revelations is a sequel to a previous casual game: Pahelika Secret Legends. You don't need to play Secret Legends in order to enjoy Revelations, though after Revelations, if you're curious about the story, you might want to go back and try Secret Legends to learn more.
Posted By: colpet

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/27/12 01:26 PM

Thanks, Becky. I'm going to give this one a try.

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/27/12 02:05 PM

I am very curious as to what you think of it. wave
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/27/12 03:25 PM

Hi, Becky... I just played this... and you are right... I was surprised at the difficulty of some of the puzzles.... I had fun smile
Posted By: Coreoverload

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/28/12 07:17 PM

Meh, the problem with demos is that they end.

I enjoyed the game. I did get stuck for a bit trying to get into the almirah. During which time
I grabbed over 100 pieces of paper to see if there was some hidden document underneath. There wasn't.

BTW, just to clarify, casual and free are not interchangeable, correct?
Posted By: traveler

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/28/12 07:31 PM

Right! Some great free games are real adventures, like the King's Quest and Space Quest remakes from Infamous Adventures and original games from people on the Adventure Game Studio forum.

Gil.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/29/12 10:13 AM

Thanks Becky looks like fun and challenging! wave
Posted By: Tomer

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/29/12 01:01 PM

So what makes it a casual game then? Cause I'm actually in a need for a good, tough puzzle adventure smile

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/29/12 03:20 PM

Tomer -- the first game in the series was adventure-lite -- this second game is closer to adventure. It's right at the edge of the genre definition. The environments aren't as large as in (for instance) the RHEM games.

Anyone like Winfrey who makes it through the game -- I'm curious what you think of it.

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/29/12 10:04 PM

Well, as soon as my exams are over, I'm getting it, and I'll let you know :-)

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/29/12 10:09 PM

Sounds good. wave

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/29/12 11:46 PM

ok, I just bought it, despite my effort to delay it smile
Will let you know soon what I think.
It's annoying that there's no way to avoid the "taxes" when you buy it! Or was there, and I missed it?

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/30/12 12:20 AM

I don't remember offhand. I pay taxes online so much nowadays (New York is very aggressive about it) that it's unremarkable to me.

frown

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/30/12 10:59 AM

Well, so far so good, I just arrived to the
Click to reveal..
Sage.

That's the first time I'm really stuck.
Click to reveal..
Can't find the right door, and I hope it ain't gonna be a sequence of right doors I need to pick, cause I can't see how to figure out those strange symbols above them

It also took me a while to find
Click to reveal..
The hidden button in the tower, where all the portals are.

But other than that I don't find the game extremely challenging. I find it harder to locate things on the screen (what I don't consider to be a very big intellectual challenge) And I have to disagree with the comparison to Rhem :-\
1. I don't get any Rhem vibes.
2. I find the puzzles of much lesser quality, generally, and definitely different from the super-logic-based puzzles of Rhem.
3. The whole sparkly thing reminds one it's a casual game... I can't say I like the genre a lot!

However, I am enjoying it... smile

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/30/12 11:33 AM

Hi Tomer -- that's great that you're in. The comparison with RHEM 4 is that I've been forced to use a walkthrough frequently, just as I ended up doing in RHEM 4. The gameworld in Pahelika isn't as large. A soft hint for the door puzzle, if you want one:

Click to reveal..
The developers are based in India.

If anyone else has played both RHEM 4 and Pahelika Revelations, though, I am curious as to how you would compare the puzzles in each game. Is a tough puzzle simply a tough puzzle? How much difference does it make if the parts of the puzzle are spread out through a larger gameworld, rather than close at hand? Should the entire gameworld be part of the puzzle?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/30/12 07:49 PM

Tomer, I moved your request for a hint to the Casual Forum.

Ana wave

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/30/12 08:01 PM

Ok, Becky, it was mostly intended for you...
Posted By: colpet

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/30/12 08:07 PM

I'm interested in playing it, but will probably wait to see if it gets to BigFish.
Posted By: rockingrjranch

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 01/30/12 09:19 PM

Bought the game and am loving it.
Posted By: sureshot

Pahelika: Revelations - 02/06/12 04:23 PM

In my desperate attempt to find decent Adventure Games to play, I came across this game mentioned on GB - from IronCode called Pahelika: Revelations.

I don't see any actual Review by GB but I do see that some of our members have or are playing it.

As I hold everything GB in high regard - I am anxious to know how this game fairs up.

It does look interesting. wave
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Pahelika: Revelations - 02/06/12 04:49 PM

Sureshot, you can search the casual forum for other threads regarding this game since it is a casual adventure.

Ana wave
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 02/09/12 08:33 AM

got the demo I like this one thanks

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 02/09/12 09:49 PM

Thank you Ana - I did some checking and the game does sound intriguing.

I seems like it's more than a casual game which is why I was looking forward to one of the great GB reviews. I always check with GB reviewers first. thumbsup

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 02/09/12 09:51 PM

Sureshot -- since it's on the edge of casual and adventure, we won't be reviewing it. I will be talking about it in one of my upcoming editorials, though. wave

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 02/09/12 09:55 PM

Thank you Becky. I look forward to reading about it. thumbsup
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 02/10/12 06:53 AM

This one reminds me of how they did games yrs ago but I realy like this and if this is a casual game well I would buy more .Any one know about any more games like this please let me know .Well done . ta

Re: If you're looking for a first-person puzzle-heavy game... - 02/10/12 11:43 AM

Dragonuk44 -- you should definitely try the first game in the series: Pahelika Secret Legends. As for more games like this one -- maybe asking that in the Casual forum would elicit some ideas.

I posted about the game here in Discussion because I knew so many people missed the first person puzzle adventures, and this came closer than other casual games I've played to fulfilling that.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community