GB HOMEPAGE

Best new adventure games out??

Posted By: Tristy

Best new adventure games out?? - 05/02/12 04:09 PM

Hello all! I've been out of the gaming world for a little while, saved me some money, haha! Anyway, I'm just wondering what you guys think are some of the best new games to come out this year or last year. I glanced at some the new reviews but thought it might be quicker to get a general consensus this way. Then I'll read those reviews. Thanks! grin
Posted By: traveler

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 05/02/12 04:22 PM

Lost Horizon (2010)
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Last Half of Darkness: Society of the Serpent Moon
Grim Fandango...oh, wait....grin

Gil.
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 05/02/12 05:43 PM

A few of the newer games I've especially enjoyed have been A New Beginning, Memento Mori, Alter Ego, Captain Morgane, Alpha Polaris & Amber's Blood.

I'm probably not the best person to take a recommendation from as I tend to enjoy most games! lol

What games have you enjoyed in the past?
Posted By: sureshot

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 05/02/12 06:42 PM

I really enjoyed

Yoomurjak's Ring
Perry Rhodan
Amber's Blood
LHOD - Society of the Serpent Moon
Lost Horizon

I tend to grab as many as I can hold of hoping to get a few good ones from the bunch - most of them get flung out the window scared - but these were very special for me - keepers !!
yay
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 05/03/12 01:54 AM

haha - same question i was hoping someone else had asked !
sounds like i can add a couple more to the ones i have,but haven't played yet.

thanks
Posted By: Mad

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 05/03/12 03:20 AM

I, too, would recommend Book of Unwritten Tales and Lost Horizon - plus any of the Carol Reed games grin
Posted By: Tristy

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 05/03/12 03:25 AM

chrissie, some of my all-time favs are the Longest Journey, Riven, the Journeyman Project games, Tex Murphy, Gabriel Knight, Shadow of Destiny. Anything with a really good story! I'll have to check out some of these. Amber's Blood has an interesting title, I'll have to read the review. Thanks everyone! grin
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 05/03/12 04:31 AM

The Book of Unwritten Tales!
Posted By: traveler

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 05/03/12 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
The Book of Unwritten Tales!

You had to go and do that, didn't you? Get all enthusiastic about BoUT. Now I have to drag it out and play it again. Sigh.

Gil.
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 05/03/12 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Tristy
.......some of my all-time favs are the Longest Journey, Riven, the Journeyman Project games, Tex Murphy, Gabriel Knight, Shadow of Destiny. Anything with a really good story!

Sounds like you'd enjoy just about every game mentioned so far Tristy! smile
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 05/04/12 06:20 AM

oh , for sure go for the new carol reed game ,tristy !

they are consistently good . it's a great series.
Posted By: lynthorpe

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/17/12 11:41 AM

I'm in the same boat. I'm about 2/3 through BoUT and kinda don't want to finish it...best one I've played in ages!
Recent games include Ceville, Ghost Pirates of Voojoo Island, A New Beginning, Whispered World, Alternita, Alter Ego even got desperate enough to play So Blonde which was a lot better than I expected
I only really like 3rd person P&C so would be grateful for any suggestions. smile
Posted By: Wincey

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/17/12 02:50 PM

I second the mentions of LHOD: Serpent Moon, Amber's Blood and Lost Horizon and would add to that list Baron Wittard, a great little-known game from last year in the style of Barrow Hill.

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/17/12 04:21 PM

"Baron Wittard, a great little-known game from last year in the style of Barrow Hill."

Am I missing something ??

I've played both games but wouldn't have called them "similar in style" at all woozy

And why do you class Baron Wittard as "little known" ??

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/17/12 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
"Baron Wittard, a great little-known game from last year in the style of Barrow Hill."

Am I missing something ??

I've played both games but wouldn't have called them "similar in style" at all woozy

And why do you class Baron Wittard as "little known" ??

It's never mentioned anywhere that I've seen except for a few reviews.

Similar in style - both ghost stories, nighttime, spooky. You're dropped off at a location and have to figure out what's going on. They just had the same feel to me, though it did help that the Emma voice actress was in both of them.

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/17/12 05:38 PM

Well, I didn't feel that playing Barrow Hill was anything like playing Baron Wittard - so I guess we'll just have to differ !! wink

But it would be interesting to see what other folks think yes

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/18/12 10:51 AM

Thanks for those suggestions. I've already played Lost Horizon. I'll give Serpent Moon and Captain Morgane a go.
The others seem to be first person...I've played a few but for some reason just can't seem to get immersed in them.
Faves have been the Discworld series, both Secret Files, both Syberias, Longest Journey (MI series goes without saying).
I'd be grateful for any other suggestions. kissy
Posted By: Gandalf

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/18/12 04:44 PM

Lost Horizon

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/18/12 08:54 PM

Have you looked at what GOG have to offer, lynthorpe ??

Plenty of Adventure choices there thumbsup

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/22/12 02:12 PM

Yes, pretty much done GOG to death...at least all the stuff I want to play.
I have played Lost Horizon.
Just finish Book of Unwritten Tales...great game with the exception of the potion stirring and, even worse, the rain dance! Why do they do that...if I wanted to be bashing arrow keys at double quick speed I wouldn't choose point and click adventure games would I!!!
I liked the Ankh and Runaway trilogies and The Next Big Thing too.
Guess I'll just keep checking here to see if there are any other gooduns out there.

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/22/12 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: lynthorpe
Thanks for those suggestions. I've already played Lost Horizon. I'll give Serpent Moon and Captain Morgane a go.

If you do, please don't abandon adventure games forever thinking this is how terrible they've become in recent years. Ugh. Serpent Moon however, is excellent.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/23/12 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: lynthorpe
Just finish Book of Unwritten Tales...great game with the exception of the potion stirring and, even worse, the rain dance! Why do they do that...if I wanted to be bashing arrow keys at double quick speed I wouldn't choose point and click adventure games would I!!!

I know. We have gamers here who have to ask for saved games to get past that sort of thing.

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/24/12 10:04 AM

Yup I almost reached that point myself. In fact I gave up (Twice!) on one of the MI games - 4 I think - where I had to learn Monkey-speak. I've never finished that game.
And don't worry Wincey I will never give up on adventuring...I'm a librarian and have given up reading in favour of gamimg...how sad is that!
Posted By: Argyle1968

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/25/12 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Well, I didn't feel that playing Barrow Hill was anything like playing Baron Wittard - so I guess we'll just have to differ !! wink

But it would be interesting to see what other folks think yes

Barrow Hill and Baron Wittard were remarkably similar. They're both 1st person horror adventures dealing with supernatural phenomenon, set in the English countryside, with little extra-character interaction, requiring the gamer to explore an abandoned game environment, do a lot of reading to piece together a back story, collect and assemble clues and solve puzzles to unlock a mystery.

You can throw the Dark Fall games in there, too. The stories chage, the graphics chage, but when you boil them down, they're all of a similar structure. The same same would go for games like Cold Winter Waiting (save for the setting) and Rhiannon (Ireland).

Maybe that's why some of us like these kinds of games so much.

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/25/12 11:04 PM

Yes, I obviously can see the points you are making but I didn't "feel" the games were like each other in style or anything else, when actually playing them ....

I must be on my own in this, I guess lol
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/26/12 12:00 AM

Mad, I loved Barrow Hill, and couldn't get into Baron Wittard at all so I have to agree with you. lol

Re: Best new adventure games out?? - 06/26/12 05:30 AM

Ahhhh, BrownEyedTigre, Thank you. Now I am no longer alone !! laugh
© 2024 GameBoomers Community