GB HOMEPAGE

Need help choosing!

Posted By: Drizzt

Need help choosing! - 05/22/12 07:48 PM

Hi, everyone. I've been too busy to show up here for quite some time, and in the mean while I've been scouting eBay for good old classic games (both adventure and dark-side stuff). On the adventure side, I've netted

Prisoner of Ice
Broken Sword 1 and 2
Full Throttle
Gabriel Knight 1, 2 and 3
Phantasmagoria 2
Sanitarium
Larry 1-6
King's Quest 1-6
The Darkness Within 1 and 2

So...where should I start? Which one of these do you people like the best? smile
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/22/12 07:58 PM

Hi,

My choice would be *Sanitarium* first...

Its a VERY Great game to me.... hearts
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/22/12 08:03 PM

Here is my opinion...

1. Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
2. Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh
3. Sanitarium
4 & 5. Darkness Within 1 & 2
6. Gabriel Knight 3 Blood of the Sacred Blood of the Damned
7. Broken Sword 1

You could skip the rest lol
Posted By: Becky

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/22/12 08:04 PM

Some very good games -- a hard choice! I'd probably start with Broken Sword 1.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/22/12 08:24 PM

King's Quest 6
Gabriel Knight 2
Sanitarium

I'd start with those. smile

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/22/12 08:46 PM

Hmm...I shall then start with...Sanitarium! Just need to get it to work on Win 7. smile
Posted By: Melia

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/22/12 09:42 PM

Broken Sword.
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/22/12 09:56 PM

Hmm Win7,
Unless you are dead set on getting the boxed version and if you haven't already purchased Sanitarium, I would get that game at GOG.com, you have a better chance of playing it on Win7.
I know I could not get the CD version of S. to work well on my Win7 32 bit machine.

Good luck in your hunt for games.
Posted By: Tomer

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/22/12 11:40 PM

Gabriel Knight 1+2+3!!!!
Posted By: Mad

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/23/12 12:12 AM

Oooooh !! What a lovely little collection to choose from Drizzt !! And my first choice would definitely be the Gabriel Knights 1, 2 and 3.
yay yay yay
Posted By: traveler

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/23/12 12:19 AM

First? Broken Sword 1 & 2!

Gil.

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/23/12 09:02 AM

Sanitarium actually runs without a hitch. Just that strange "palette" problem that all old games have with Win 7, but it's no more than an annoyance. And yes, it's the physical boxed version that I got...

Gabriel Knight 1, however, I just can't seem to get to work. frown

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/23/12 10:06 AM

Drizzt -- did Sanitarium come in a large, old-fashioned gamebox? Some of those original disks were defective and won't hold up in faster CD ROM/ DVD ROM drives.
Posted By: Mary

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/23/12 12:09 PM

Becky's right: I remember the fiasco when players started to complain about their CDs breaking IN their CD drive.
That's why I bought the GOG version of Sanitarium for my Win7 machine. Good game, though!
Posted By: sureshot

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/23/12 04:28 PM

My 2 bits worth..

1) Sanitarium

2) Gabriel Knight 2

3) Broken Sword 1 and 2

$) the resr any order but I'd do 1,2, and 3 first

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/23/12 05:01 PM

"Gabriel Knight 1, however, I just can't seem to get to work. "

Drizzt .... There are "installers" on the Sierra Help Pages and there should be one there that will work for you grin

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/23/12 08:36 PM

Yes, it's one of those old-fashioned boxes. Thanks for the warning! Maybe I should just get it on GOG then.

Mad, what Sierra Help Pages are you referring to? I thought Sierra was dead and buried? Edit: Oh, on GOG, I see. lol
Posted By: rmt

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/23/12 09:07 PM

Drizzt, not on GOG, here is the page:

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/GabrielKnight/GK1Help.html

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/23/12 11:40 PM

I would play them in this order:

Gabriel Knight 3
Gabriel Knight 2
The Darkness Within 1
Phantasmagoria 2
Gabriel Knight 1
Broken Sword 1 and 2
The Darkness Within 2

I could not play Sanitarium, I gave up whilst lost in the asylum as it depressed me. Perhaps I should give it another go. Maybe I was not in the right frame of mind or I had other big games crying for me to play them, not sure.

I have not played the other games.

(What? I am still a Shy Boomer with 50 posts after 4 years? Dear me, I will forever remain a Shy Boomer!) shocked eek crazy

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/24/12 12:39 AM

Shyness does eventually resolve itself into the next stage. I'm not sure exactly when that happens though. Probably soon.

(I know, I should know this stuff!)

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/24/12 02:00 AM

The first installer on THIS page might do the trick for you Drizzt grin

EDIT :
I see now that rmt has given you an address too !! Sorry, I should have read all this thread first lol

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/24/12 07:24 AM

Becky, it happens at 101, I will no longer be shy in 2016, based on my stats so far. blush

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/24/12 01:53 PM

Well, you have to work long and hard to reduce that shyness. I suspect that it will melt away faster than you think. (Assuming you don't take a loooong break.)

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/24/12 04:01 PM

Wow, those are quite a few installers! I will take a look at them tonight. smile

Has anyone used the GK2 installer and got it to work? I just get a "Not found. Please reinstall" after I installed the game.

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/24/12 09:32 PM

I've successfully used the installers for both GK1 and GK2 to get them running in WinXP - but I downloaded them many moons ago.

I don't know what could be happening for you, Drizzt woozy

Maybe a visit to the Glitches Board would help ??
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/29/12 03:46 PM

Your (this) thread about "old" games has jolted my mind into thinking about a couple that I got at GOG and have had sitting waiting for me to "get into" again so since I had finished playing my (disc) copies of the Last Half Of Darkness (finally) I fired up the GOG The Longest Journey download I purchased and am 'reliving' my adventure as April Ryan. I just wanted to thank you for nudging me back into these older games which I so enjoyed the first time around. And I have been to GOG to add a couple of my fav's to their wishlist. Have you ever played Temujin?, Shivers (1)? = I asked there if these will be considered for them to offer - and found out that I can get a download of Grim Fandango and the "add-ons" to URU (the Myst series). What fun!
Love, Betty Lou

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/29/12 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Betty Lou
And I have been to GOG to add a couple of my fav's to their wishlist. - and found out that I can get a download of Grim Fandango....

I wish! Grim is second on their Wish List, Betty Lou, right after System Shock 2 (?), which is amazing for an Adventure Game. But it's not available for download yet.

As someone commented, year after year Grim Fandango comes in somewhere at the top of every list of the Best Adventure Games ever made, yet you either can't get it, it's prohibitively expensive to get it, or you can't play it on a modern computer very well, if at all. It doesn't make any sense that Lucas Arts would refuse to release this classic (that's Lucas Arts for you, all for the gamer) and I really hope that someday GOG will get Grim and fix the technical thingies that make it hard for most people to play on a modern computer. Did you vote for it? If not, go vote! grin

Gil.

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/29/12 10:05 PM

LucasArts could re-release Grim Fandango themselves if they wanted to. They don't need GOG grin

Look what a terrific job they did with the Special Edition Monkey Island games !! happydance

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/29/12 10:16 PM

Yeah, and have you seen any sign that they have the slightest intention of doing it, Mad?

Do you know the expression, "when pigs fly"?

They've done their best to bury Grim Fandango for years. It's gamers who don't forget and want it back. They are focused on Star Wars. Sheesh!

Gil.

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/29/12 10:58 PM

Well perhaps that's where they make their biggest profits.

And at least if they ARE making profits they are surviving.

And having survived they might let us have a "tweaked" Grim some time in the future.

I have every faith that pigs may one day fly rotfl

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/29/12 11:18 PM

Since I've never been a fan of wookies or guys with light sabers or people who talk through a synthesizer (yes, I did stand in that mile long line for the first movie - what a waste of time), I don't care if they survive if the only thing they're going to make is Star Wars. Someone who voted for Grim on GOG said he'd like to take a shovel to George Lucas. He ain't alone.

Let us have a tweaked Grim? They won't even let us have it as is!

Gil.
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: Need help choosing! - 05/30/12 04:22 PM

WOW! I did not realize there were so many of us who loved the dear Grim so much. Am glad to see we have even a small chance of it "appearing" for us some day, should I live long enough and I agree Mad, some day "pigs will fly", why not, man has his hand in "engineering" these days. Let's see, if we cross an eagle with a pig, will the pig sprout wings? or will the eagle end up with a snout and a curly tail? LOL I am equally unhappy with J Jensen for quitting the G Knight series. And while I do not like or play "strategy" games I was/am so in love with the book series Dragonriders by Anne & Todd McCaffrey that I have the PC game Dragonriders of Pern and love it, want to see more of the series either in a PC game series or in the movies - "they" seem to love comic book movies and I don't see the point to them at all. Love my games. I should add DOP to my wishlist at GOG
Love, Betty Lou

Re: Need help choosing! - 06/02/12 03:13 PM

I still can't get the installer to work. Have tried reinstalling a number of times. frown

Re: Need help choosing! - 06/03/12 01:53 AM

Jenny100 once sent me the message below .... Or have you already visited those sites ??

[But I still think you might possibly get help on the Glitches Board.]

There is fan-made support help for GK1 here
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/GabrielKnight/GK1Help.html

and for GK2 here
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/GabrielKnight/GK2Help.html

If the problem is that the games won't start at all, try the usual game troubleshooting suggestions, like installing in a folder other than Program Files and using compatibility mode.

Re: Need help choosing! - 06/03/12 08:32 PM

Thanks, but I'm still out of look. Tried the patches and did quite a few re-installs.

I have gotten GK1 running perfectly though. I got to day 2, and I'm completely stuck, though. I have absolutely no idea what to do. razz
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Need help choosing! - 06/03/12 09:21 PM

DRizzt, they can probably help you in Glitches. luck

Ana wave
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Need help choosing! - 06/04/12 01:26 AM

He's been there, Ana.
Inland was trying to help.
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/812947/Need_help_installing_GK2_on_Wi.html

Re: Need help choosing! - 06/04/12 01:31 AM

Thanks Jenny!

Ana wave

Re: Need help choosing! - 06/04/12 08:12 PM

Yeah, I'm over pestering them at the Sierra Help Forums now instead. laugh

Re: Need help choosing! - 06/04/12 08:22 PM

lol You have not been a pest here. I just want you to be able to get the help you need. luck

Re: Need help choosing! - 06/04/12 11:50 PM

"Yeah, I'm over pestering them at the Sierra Help Forums now instead. "

I pester them there too, Drizzt, and they can be very helpful thumbsup

So Good Luck !!

[Very glad to hear you have GK1 running though. It's my most favourite game of all time happydance]
© 2024 GameBoomers Community