GB HOMEPAGE

Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation: Demo Added

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation: Demo Added - 02/19/13 05:19 PM

For those that dabble between old school Adventures and the DarkSide, you can have the best of both worlds.

You can download the [url=The demo download link is in this Kickstarter update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure/posts/428693]Demo here. [/url]

Quote:
The Game: An Old-School Adventure / RPG Hybrid

Sixteen-year-old D'arc has spent most of his life training in the elemental arts, in hopes of becoming a respected Mage of Iginor. Now he must prove himself by succeeding in three tasks around the perilous Iginor countryside. With the storytelling and puzzle solving of an adventure game and the customization and stat building of an RPG, Mage's Initiation is a unique hybrid that will be experienced differently by everyone who plays it.

The Team: Anonymous No More
Himalaya Studios have been making retro-styled adventure games for twelve years -- mostly freeware labors of love. The Anonymous Game Developers got their start with a fan remake of Sierra's flagship adventure, King's Quest I, which they updated with a point and click interface, SVGA graphics, and voice acting. This "anonymous" tradition continued with revamps of the next two King's Quest games and Quest for Glory II, all of which the team released as freeware under the name AGD Interactive. They also released an original commercial game, Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine, as Himalaya Studios. Learn more: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

The Kickstarter: A Campaign Fit for a Mage
Development of Mage's Initiation started in February 2011, after a community poll revealed that an adventure / RPG hybrid was the type of game their fans wanted most. The team has self-funded the project thus far and are prepared to keep doing so, but that could add years to the development time. So, they're turning to Kickstarter for a boost.

But raising money isn't the only goal. All along, Himalaya has planned to release a boxed Collector's Edition and other goodies -- the sorts of "feelies" that used to come standard in game boxes. (Remember those days?!) Without an infrastructure for taking orders and processing payments, this small team would have to pull themselves away from the game's development to get it done. But with Kickstarter, they can make their feelie dreams a reality. And the goodies they're offering... let's just say they're pretty sweet! Check out the Kickstarter here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure

To coincide with the Kickstarter Campaign, Mage's Initiation has just been listed on Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125180296

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 02/19/13 05:36 PM

Thanks, Ana. I'm very interested in this one, as I love the Quest for Glory games. thumbsup wave
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 02/19/13 06:18 PM

Thanks for the news, Ana. thumbsup
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 02/20/13 11:48 AM

Sounds promising Ana! I wish them Luck! thumbsup
Posted By: Mad

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 02/20/13 02:07 PM

Pledged !! And thanks for the info, BrownEyedTigre happydance
Posted By: Haroula

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 02/23/13 08:22 AM

Thanks, Ana wave

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 03/15/13 06:26 PM

Added a demo link in the first post.
Posted By: venus

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 03/16/13 05:55 AM

Looks interesting, though a little too action oriented for me. I wish them luck, though. I really enjoyed their King's Quest remakes. thumbsup
Posted By: DaveHT

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 03/22/13 07:04 AM

Very promising, indeed. I, too, wonder what elements of RPG will be involved. The current true RPG titles now have very developed skill systems, so I am not sure this game can match that level of integration.

I am also surprised (but glad) that Himalaya Studios is back with another game. It was rumored that the developer's last game, Al Emmo, never sold well, though the developer never released any official figures. Was a bit worried that another indie developer may bite the dust. So I am happy that it is back with another project.

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 03/22/13 04:22 PM

I really enjoyed Al Emmo and would have loved to see a sequel.

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 03/22/13 04:29 PM

Another fan of Al Emmo here; I thought it was a very good game. wave
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Indie Team behind Acclaimed King's Quest and Quest for Glory Announces Mage's Initiation - 03/22/13 06:36 PM

I thought that the narrator in Al Emmo (John Bell?) was hilarious. grin I do recall some frustrating pixel hunting and an 'orrible timed sequence near the end, but otherwise I rather liked it.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community