GB HOMEPAGE

New words to my vocabulary

Posted By: hamer

New words to my vocabulary - 05/22/13 07:02 PM

Since playing adventure games I have added some words to my vocabulary that I would oterwise never have known about or known the meanings of...But they are prevalent in adventure games lol
are there any you never knew about?
Words i am talking about are

Ankh

Bas Relief

I am sure there are lots more cant think of them off hand now tho...lol
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/22/13 07:07 PM

Oh My, the list is long!lol
Posted By: lanlynk

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/22/13 08:38 PM

Off the top of my head, there are all the Italian words I had to memorize recently in Nancy Drew: Phantom of Venice.

To name a few:
fiori = flowers
traliccio = trellis
albero = tree
giallo = yellow

I've also become pretty familiar with Egyptian gods and goddess playing several different games: Anubis,
Isis,
Osiris,
Maat,
Ra ...

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/22/13 09:24 PM

There are a lot that come up in different games for me and i am sure i will see agin..cant think of them now....yes Lanlynk I agree...you certainly get educated ...
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/22/13 09:44 PM

I already knew the words mentioned so far in this
thread, but it seems to me there were a couple of
words that I've seen in games that I didn't know.
Unfortunately I've forgotten them.

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/22/13 09:44 PM

The thing is, I'm not sure how factually accurate my knowledge is. I sure seem to know a lot about the rumored shenanigans of the Knights of the Templar. And the Nazis? Who knew they had so many strange hidden agendas? eek

But I've also acquired some odd bits of knowledge about other subjects. Like Base-4 and Base-12 numbering systems. And I think, with a quick review, I could probably pass a quiz on the Mayan Calendar. lol

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/22/13 10:00 PM

Lanlynk,
I don't think I've ever played an adventure game with an accurate portrayal of the Knights Templar other than a brief history in Treasure Hunter.

But if you play RAMA, you can add Base 8 (octal) to your collection.

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/23/13 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
I don't think I've ever played an adventure game with an accurate portrayal of the Knights Templar other than a brief history in Treasure Hunter.

But if you play RAMA, you can add Base 8 (octal) to your collection.

Funny how the Knights Templar have become so popular in games, books, and movies.

Never played Treasure Hunter or RAMA. Just looked up RAMA: an interesting classic. smile I was trying to remember where I ran across the other Base Number systems. Was it in Myst games? Sentinel? The Aura games? Mysterious Journey? duh Seems like I had to work with these different numbering systems in a few games.

Also, after playing adventure games, I'd like to think I've gained some rudimentary skill in electrical circuitry, plumbing, and small engine repair ... but I have my doubts. smirk

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/23/13 07:29 PM

I don't remember any "other base" puzzles in either the Myst games or the Aura games, but it's possible I'm forgetting.

Schizm (Mysterious Journey) and Schizm 2 (Mysterious Journey 2) certainly had them. The puzzles in both games had to do with figuring out alien numbers that used a numbering system other than base 10.

I can't remember if Sentinel had a puzzle that used other bases or not. But considering that the developer (Detalion) used them in Schizm 1 and 2, it's possible that there was an "other base" puzzle in Sentinel too. Maybe someone else remembers.

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/23/13 07:54 PM

Must have been the Schizm (MJ) games then. I played both, but it's been awhile. In one game, I remember standing by a pedestal working out a system, I think.

There are aspects of all those games I mentioned that are similar, so I often confuse which game had what quest.

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/23/13 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: lanlynk
In one game, I remember standing by a pedestal working out a system, I think.

That certainly sounds like one of the Schizm games.
I liked those games.

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/24/13 07:50 PM

another word i never knew was Flotsam...lol this is debris in the water...
Posted By: LadyKestrel

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/28/13 06:31 AM

I think I can now put Zodiac symbols in the correct order, and, with a refresher course, I might be able to decipher ogham. I'm also very good at finding keys and pulling levers. grin
Posted By: Mad

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/28/13 07:27 PM

hamer .... Have you never heard of "Flotsam & Jetsam" ?? [Terms used in Maritme Law.]

Flotsam refers to wreckage or cargo left floating on the sea after a shipwreck. And Jetsam refers to cargo or equipment thrown overboard from a ship that's in distress, sunk or washed ashore.

[Although I hardly think OUR flotsam, here at Gameboomers, is wreckage of any kind !!!! lol]

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/29/13 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Mad
hamer .... Have you never heard of "Flotsam & Jetsam" ?? [Terms used in Maritme Law.]

Hmm, I thought Flotsam & Jetsam was a heavy metal band out of Arizona.
The Band

Just kidding! laugh
Posted By: Mad

Re: New words to my vocabulary - 05/29/13 01:49 AM

rotfl rotfl
© 2024 GameBoomers Community