GB HOMEPAGE

Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion

Posted By: Kootsie

Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/18/14 02:35 AM

Hey Boomers!

Ok this is gonna be a rant. I thoroughly and completely HATED this game. The dialogue was inane and the plot was to say the least, confusing and pointless. Compared to my other ND games, this ranks at the very bottom...actually buried underground.

I am interested in your reviews. Give us some feedback..Thanks all!
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/18/14 05:36 AM

I don't know how many people are playing yet. Sorry you disliked it.

Ana wave
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/19/14 10:16 PM

I'm sorry for you Kootsie. Usually the Nancy Drew games get pretty good reviews.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/20/14 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Kootsie
Ok this is gonna be a rant. I thoroughly and completely HATED this game. The dialogue was inane and the plot was to say the least, confusing and pointless. Compared to my other ND games, this ranks at the very bottom...actually buried underground.

I am interested in your reviews. Give us some feedback..Thanks all!

I don't think Gameboomers has received a review copy yet, though I could be confused about that.
I've ordered it from Amazon.

It's hard to believe any Nancy Drew game could be worse than Ransom of the Seven Ships, with all those stupid dexterity-oriented monkey games.
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/20/14 03:57 PM

I haven't played any of the Nancy Drews since The Deadly Device. Just can't summon up the enthusiasm for 'em anymore.

I'd agree with Jenny that Ransom was the pits. Too many silly mini-games and timed puzzles. I recall GB's hints forum at the time receiving approximately 910,000 save requests for the monkey coconut throw. lol At least, that's what it seemed like! laugh

Posted By: MaG

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/20/14 03:59 PM

It's not one of the best but I think the hints and clues given in the game were well placed. I like using my neurons and not my arthritic hand. lol
Posted By: NoGreatGamer

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/20/14 07:47 PM

I'm still playing it and I wouldn't say it the worst in the series. But it does rank pretty close to the bottom. I think Ransom will remain my least favorite.

I'm a die-hard fan of the ND games, and so I am pretty forgiving of the flaws. I am finding the game more boring than frustrating. The dialogue tries too hard to be funny, and it wears thin. My bigger complaint is that the dialogue triggers don't seem to be sequenced correctly. I'm asking about things I haven't found or shouldn't know about yet. I am finding it hard to follow the plot, what there is of it, when the dialogue is out of order and doesn't make sense.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/20/14 08:19 PM

Michael Gray, the guy who does the video walkthroughs for the Nancy Drew games and who is a huge fan, actually lists Ransom of the Seven Ships as one of his ten favorite Nancy Drew games; according to him, that's because it's puzzle after puzzle after puzzle after puzzle after puzzle...

I would put The Shattered Medallion on about a par with Ransom in terms of how much I liked the game (i.e., not one of my favorites), but the puzzles in Medallion are mostly easier than those in Ransom. wave
Posted By: Scarlet

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/20/14 10:53 PM

Much of the problem with this game for me is I did not know if I was supposed to compete with the other contestants or solve some case I was not aware existed. I did not know if I should be rushing to compete.
Usually we have an established investigation; that is not the case in this one.

I start competing then I get a text that there is something else to be done. Then I get a message that a task has been completed but I learn I still have to finish (in order to get a needed password or advance); which may not be the NEXT clue that I needed at the moment). So while spinning in circles I get things done and somehow come to the end.

I played it again knowing what was going on and it was better.
With all that said it was not my least favorite.

As always, I can't wait for the next one!
Posted By: ipad_Lover

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/27/14 04:06 AM

I usually enjoy Nancy Drew games, I played 28 and liked it. I have 29 started. The reviews of this one have been tepid at best - so it is not at the top of my list of games to buy.
Posted By: SuMac

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/27/14 11:29 PM

The first third of the game was so-so for me, but I liked the middle third better.(Haven't played the last part yet.) I liked the submarine bit and the kayak race - even managed to win after a half dozen tries. The wool shed was annoying because it was so dark I could hardly see anything. I'm also perplexed why Bess has to stand in the exact same spot for hours on end. These are just minor complaints, but all in all, playing the game is better than not playing it.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/27/14 11:30 PM

The wool shed was dark for me, too - I had to turn up the brightness on my monitor. I thought the submersible was fun.
Posted By: Susie07

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/28/14 12:12 AM

Hi, Kootsie!

I was going to download the game from Amazon.com because the third party seller at Amazon.ca wants $27.99 for it but, after reading the reviews, I quickly changed my mind and decided to pass. It seems you have plenty of company who share your thoughts lol !

I have been playing the Nancy Drew games since the beginning, and this is the first one I have not purchased. I normally like to form my own opinion, but this many people can't all be wrong!

Susan
Posted By: sureshot

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/28/14 07:40 PM

Wow - Nothing like an Early Warning System !! thumbsup

Thank you for saving my sanity - especially if this game is anywhere close to how much
I hated that monkey coconut throwing silliness of Ransom !!! scared
Posted By: SuMac

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/28/14 11:49 PM

So far I haven't encountered anything nearly as bad as those darned monkeys. The kayak race is timed, but it's doable. If I can do it, anybody can do it. I did have to memorize the click-by-click instructions in the WT, though, and a few practice runs helped.
Posted By: bluerain663

Re: Nancy Drew: The Shattered Medallion - 05/29/14 01:32 PM

I agree that this ND game was not their best and in fact, I had no clue what the mystery was until the end, when I realized there was NO mystery, NO suspense, NOT much use of Bess in the game, and was uninstalled soon as I finished. I really hate speaking about a ND game this way because I am an avid player of their series, but I will not be a fan if I say all their games are great, because they are not. Remember Creature of Kapu Cave and Ransom Of Seven Ships anyone? Lol.

Some will love this game because we see Sonny, converse with Bess, the graphics, the puzzles etc. But, there was no substance, no meat, no plot like we have seen in many of the other ND games. I believe HER can have flops, but I felt games #29 and #30 should have been switched because number #29 showed a glimpse into Nancy's past and dissolves some personal issues in her life. For the 30th installment we are given, Sonny and are on a reality show with no plot?

Seriously hope #31 will be better than this, because this was not a favorite!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community