GB HOMEPAGE

Grim Fandango remastered announced!

Posted By: plswdth

Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 02:59 AM

During the Sony Keynote at E3, they just announced that a remastered version of Grim Fandango is in the works! They didn't show any in-game graphics and only said that it will be on PS4 and Vita, but hopefully a PC release is also in the works! I'm excited no matter what though, it's my favorite adventure game ever!
Posted By: Marian

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 03:01 AM

Very interesting. Let's hope for a PC version. smile
Posted By: plswdth

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 03:03 AM

Looks like PC is very likely!--
https://mobile.twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/476179637987315714

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 03:04 AM

Looks promising. smile
Posted By: Melia

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 05:35 AM

I was thinking of Grim Fandango just today, wishing it would work on my computer. This is great news!
Posted By: traveler

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 05:58 AM

I just hope that Sony doesn't screw it up by changing the controls IF they've managed to buy Grim from Disney, which seems highly doubtful to me, though I suppose anything's possible.
(It goes without saying that messing with the graphics other than to smooth out the obvious problems with 3D, or the best voices ever in a game would be disastrous.)
I have an extremely hard time making sense of anything on Twitter.

Edit: Well, it looks like it's true.
Here's the announcement on YouTube.
I'm not sure I trust Tim Schafer not to make a botch of it but we'll see.

Gil.
Grim Nut
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: traveler
I just hope that Sony doesn't screw it up by changing the controls...

Wasn't it the controls that most people complained about? Tank controls as he calls them.
Not sure why he would botch it either:-)

Originally Posted By: Melia
I was thinking of Grim Fandango just today, wishing it would work on my computer. This is great news!

Why doesn't it work?
Posted By: mbday630

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 12:15 PM

What wonderful news! I loved Grim Fandango, but as so many others, hated the clunky navigation/controls. So many things could be improved on; but, the story line is one of the best. I sure am keeping my fingers crossed that this happens.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: mj2c
I just hope that Sony doesn't screw it up by changing the controls...

Wasn't it the controls that most people complained about? Tank controls as he calls them.
Not sure why he would botch it either:-)

Well, I just crawled out of bed so my answer may not be as coherent as I'd like but I'll give it a go.

Yes, it was the controls most people complained about.
You use the arrow keys rather than pointing and clicking your way through.
In minutes, you master them and there is no pointy little cursor on the screen reminding you that you are only playing a game.
You have to pay attention to Manny, to stop and look when he does instead of having important things to investigate pointed out to you.
It immensely enhances the immersion so what on earth is the beef?
Isn't that what gamers want?
Immersion?
To feel as if they're there?
I do not understand why gamers can't see that the "tank controls" are perfect for Grim Fandango and a part of why it is the great game that it is.

As far as my not trusting Tim Schafer, here's why and my answer is twofold.
First, there was a saying of sorts back when I studied art: it takes two to make a painting, the artist himself and one to hit him over the head when it's time to stop.
I witnessed the truth of that once when a friend who was wonderful with pen and ink, a difficult and unforgiving medium, drew a ship under full sail and was honestly done but he saw something he thought needed more work and he overworked it.
From then on, the viewer's eye kept coming back to that inconsequential spot.
He realized it too late and tore up what would have been a beautiful example of work with ink and pen if he had just known when to stop.

Well, it's been years since Grim Fandango was released.
Tim Schafer has probably noticed many small details about it he'd like to change, so he's given permission to start tinkering...if Sony agrees.
He fixes this to his liking, he changes that, and suddenly the game loses its brilliance and is just another game because he tinkered too much.
The trouble is, you can't tear up a game, not when so much of other people's money has been thrown into it, so it gets released and the upshot is that gamers are suddenly asking themselves why that is considered a classic and possibly the best adventure game ever made.
It can happen.
I hope not but I see that it easily could.

My second thought is this: if it ever gets into Tim Schafer's hands and is "remastered" for PC - its original platform, once they've finished making it right for Vita and the PS4, and what sense does that make? - I'll likely be pushing up daisies long before he finishes it, whatever kind of job Double Fine might do.
I backed Broken Age in the beginning of 2012.
Two and a half years later, only the first half of the game is finished and playable but he and his team are already working on another game and he had the temerity to say in an email to backers on January 28th: "We're already hard at word on Act 2.... We're not sure exactly when Act 2 will be out, but we promise to release it the second it's awesome."
Not awesome yet, it seems.

Gil.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 02:59 PM

mj2c, it does work with the proper installers. Melia, please see the stickied threads in Glitches forum on how. For any other questions on getting the game to run, please post in glitches.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 03:17 PM

I'm just the opposite - I thought the clunky controls took attention away from the game and ruined the immersion. And I play shooters and RPGs using a Cyber Snipa gaming keyboard. Some games require me to put a a dozen keys into my brain to use with my left hand instantly. But the keyboard controls for Grim are awkwardly placed and not intuitive at all.

This is very exciting news and I'm glad to hear that one of the world's best games is being remastered!

And, Melia, Grim plays just fine on Windows 7 if you use the installers. I have it on my Windows 8.1 computer and it's working great. Check out the Windows 7 and Games thread in Glitches.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: mbday630
I hope that they make it that you can go up the mountain faster and also fix it that you can move faster when you are trying to capture that native.

Mountain?
Native?
I'm afraid you've lost me.
Why would you want to move faster?
Move faster and you are going to overshoot something vital, that's guaranteed.
Impatience does not pay off in Grim Fandango.

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I'm just the opposite - I thought the clunky controls took attention away from the game and ruined the immersion. And I play shooters and RPGs using a Cyber Snipa gaming keyboard. Some games require me to put a a dozen keys into my brain to use with my left hand instantly. But the keyboard controls for Grim are awkwardly placed and not intuitive at all.

Could that be because you use the arrow keys with your right hand?
What if they allowed you to remap the keys?

Gil.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 03:44 PM

I posted a link (I think last week) of him playing through Grim and he gives an explanation why they made the game and the controls the way they did.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 04:01 PM

"In minutes, you master them and there is no pointy little cursor on the screen reminding you that you are only playing a game.
You have to pay attention to Manny, to stop and look when he does instead of having important things to investigate pointed out to you.
It immensely enhances the immersion so what on earth is the beef?
Isn't that what gamers want?
Immersion?
To feel as if they're there?
I do not understand why gamers can't see that the "tank controls" are perfect for Grim Fandango and a part of why it is the great game that it is.
"

Oh, it definitely feels like you are there alright !!
The pain from banging into everything whilst trying to master navigation makes sure of that !! lol

Nope. I'm afraid I'm with Draclver on the very clumsy controls.

[In fact a re-mastered point & click version would suit me down to the ground, thank you very much snicker]

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
mj2c, it does work with the proper installers. Melia, please see the stickied

I was going to say as I'm almost certain I've played it on Win7.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 04:17 PM

I suppose I shouldn't complain if the people who can't deal with arrow keys win out (not that I won't).
They dutifully stump slowly through games like The Lost Crown or reel dizzily in Scratches but they can't handle Grim?
After all, though, what do I care if nobody else likes the controls as they are?
I have the original game and can play it as it stands any time I like if the "remastered" version is dreadful.
I'm just sorry for the ones who have never played it as it was made to be and may never get the chance now.

sad

Gil.
Purist

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr

And, Melia, Grim plays just fine on Windows 7 if you use the installers. I have it on my Windows 8.1 computer and it's working great. Check out the Windows 7 and Games thread in Glitches.

Thanks!

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 05:49 PM

I suppose I shouldn't complain if the people who can't deal with arrow keys win out (not that I won't).
They dutifully stump slowly through games like The Lost Crown or reel dizzily in Scratches but they can't handle Grim?
After all, though, what do I care if nobody else likes the controls as they are?
I have the original game and can play it as it stands any time I like if the "remastered" version is dreadful.
I'm just sorry for the ones who have never played it as it was made to be and may never get the chance now.

sad

Gil.
Purist

Yes. I, too, can play the original as it stands. But I don't feel that offering a more easily manageable navigation system would be detrimental to the game at all.
In fact more people might be enticed to play it yes

And maybe those who "dutifully stump slowly through games like The Lost Crown or reel dizzily in Scratches" are enjoying themselves and are not incapable of handling the Grim control system but just don't WANT to rolleyes ??
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 06:58 PM

smile Gil~

Aaahh... memories of Manny.
When I first saw this thread, you and he were the first ones who came to mind.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 07:42 PM

That's me, Mad... I CAN, but I don't WANT to have to drive the tank in Grim. I would like to be able to play, not constantly look at my keyboard to find the different keys to use. I can put map the dozen or more keys I need for a shooter on my CyberSnipa keyboard and be off and running. But the Grim controls just detract from the game for me. I love it so much that I will slog through it, but I would like to just enjoy it, not drive the tank!

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 09:58 PM

Okay, I can't stand it, I just have to reply to that.

You have to constantly look at four arrow keys?
You can't get the hang of which key to press to bring out an inventory item?

Aw, Drac!

Ha, Mad, you left out the emphasis on slowly in my comment on The Lost Crown, which could really apply to Scratches as well, as slowly as the stories evolve.
Tsk, tsk.
Well, I've gotta tell you, the main reason I've never finished either that or Scratches was that I just couldn't stand clunking around hoping the story would get more intriguing to me.
(Well, that and the voice work in The Lost Crown.)
On the other hand, since I first played it, I've given myself the pleasure of reliving the story with Manny and Meche and Glottis at least once a year.
And what a pleasure it is.

thumbsup Carrie!

Gil.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/10/14 11:17 PM

If I remember correctly, there are a lot more controls than just the arrow keys. I think there is an "E" you have to push for examining, an "I" you have to push for inventory and then to scroll through the inventory there is something else, and then to put your inventory away you have to push P.... (which took me a long time to figure out). and then just using the walking keys was a hassle. I ran poor Manny into the wall so many times. So, there are lots of keys to push and try to remember. For an old person like me, it is way to much, and I sure would like it if they made it point and click. Of course, most of us can do the controls.... it was such a good game that I muddled through..... but, it would have much more enjoyable not to have to think all the time about what key to press.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/11/14 01:12 AM

"Ha, Mad, you left out the emphasis on slowly in my comment on The Lost Crown, which could really apply to Scratches as well, as slowly as the stories evolve.
Tsk, tsk.
"

Well, what a thing for me to go and do, eh, traveler ?? shocked

Never mind. Perhaps banging into a few more walls with Manny will knock some sense into me rotfl

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/11/14 01:24 AM

Now, now, you two! shame lol

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/11/14 02:25 AM

laugh laugh laugh

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/11/14 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Mad

Never mind. Perhaps banging into a few more walls with Manny will knock some sense into me.

rotfl thumbsup

Gil.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/11/14 03:51 PM

You can view a video with the developer on Grim Fandago here.

Ana wave
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/11/14 09:08 PM

Thanks Ana. I didn't realize that was Tim Shaffer.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/11/14 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: mbday630
If I remember correctly, there are a lot more controls than just the arrow keys. I think there is an "E" you have to push for examining, an "I" you have to push for inventory and then to scroll through the inventory there is something else, and then to put your inventory away you have to push P.... (which took me a long time to figure out).

There were quite a lot of hotkeys.
Here's a list of some of them (not including movement keys).
Quote:
number pad 5 or E or S -- Examine Item
number pad + or P or A -- Pick up or Put Away a held item
Enter or U or W -- Use Item or Talk or Exit Inventory holding item
number pad 0 or I or D -- Open Inventory or Exit Inventory
1 -- Pull out scythe
2 through 0 -- pull out inventory items in the order picked up
"-" -- see previous inventory item
"+" -- see next inventory item
left or right arrows -- scroll items in open inventory
up or down arrows -- scroll through dialogue lines
Enter key -- select dialogue line
Control-T -- Toggle speech mode (speech only, text only, or speech+text)
Control-B -- Adjust Brightness level
Control-J -- Toggle joystick or gamepad control
Escape -- Skip cut scene or Exit inventory without item
Pause -- pause the game
F1 -- Main menu
Delete or "." -- skip dialogue line
Alt-X -- quit game

Sure you don't have to use them all, but the problem there is that you might accidentally use one of them by mistake and then have to figure out what it was in order to undo it.

Inventory management was WAY more difficult with the keyboard than with the mouse.

Quote:
And then just using the walking keys was a hassle. I ran poor Manny into the wall so many times.

Many people had trouble with Manny getting stuck in doorways and on furniture and on the wall. Usually I managed to extricate him by holding down the back button and alternately clicking the left and right arrow keys. He could really get stuck in there good and solid, but I had better luck using the back button to extract him backwards. Not that there haven't been problems with point-and-click, but that's mostly with early 3D adventure games like "The Watchmaker." Compared with point-and-click in 2D games, which is what we were used to, movement in Grim Fandango was clumsy.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 12:18 AM

I hope the remastered game keeps everything the same except those hotkeys. They were a pain.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 12:35 AM

I'm with you all on the controls. I would play a remastered edition with point and click controls any day!
Posted By: Tally Ho

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 01:50 AM

And I'm with all you "original" wannabes. I'm heading for the shelf as we speak, now that I know it will play on Windows 7.

I recall some glitch involving sliding down a bannister or something; which prevented me from finishing the game. It's been ages, so I hope there is a patch to get by that one.

I'll be getting the installer and the launcher and crossing my fingers! (Uncrossing them to use the keyboard of course!!)

>>>>>>>>>>Later:

I installed using the installer, and launched using the launcher, but got stonewalled. When I try to launch the game it just wants to install it again. D'oh!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Tally Ho
I recall some glitch involving sliding down a bannister or something; which prevented me from finishing the game. It's been ages, so I hope there is a patch to get by that one.

Not sure if it's what you're thinking of, but there was a problem getting on a conveyor belt that was computer-speed-related.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 03:08 AM

That sounds pretty familiar. It was 12 or 13 years ago that I played it. I think that was fairly far along in the game.

Anyway I am stuck trying to get it to play at all. I run the setup from the installer, then run the launcher, and it says it can't find the files. Aargh.
Off to bed, and I will uninstall everything and try again tomorrow.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 05:29 AM

Melia,

Try installing it in My Documents.
I have it installed there with the Launcher and the LucasArts patch and I've had no trouble running it.

I just noticed that my Launcher (which appears as Setup) is version 1.0 and the newer one on the Quick and Easy Software site is 1.5.
I should probably download that and see what further improvements Bennyboy made.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks Setup and Launcher/installer are separate.
They're not.
If you download the file, it actually says Launcher.
(Just did when I dl'd 1.5.)
The file description for GrimSetup1.0, which I can see by placing my cursor over the file, says: Replacement installer for Grim Fandango.
The description on the Quick and Easy Software site is a little confusing but if you click on either of those links, Setup or Launcher, you end up on the same page and find the same link.
There is only one download file here.

Gil.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 06:09 AM

I wonder if there have been some changes? They were originally two different files. I still have them both in my Downloads folder - completely different files.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 06:33 AM

Well, as I said, Drac, I have only the patch and the replacement launcher/setup/installer, whatever you want to call it, from 2010 in my file folder (still have them separate from the installed game).

So, I'm not sure what's going on, though it did occur to me that maybe Melia might be having trouble because she's trying to run two of the same file.
Is that possible?

You probably won't recall the trouble I had with Tale of a Hero when I had it installed to the default location; it kept looping early in the game and I couldn't get any further.
I fixed that by installing in My Docs and since Grim is sitting there, too, I may have had some problem with it which went away when I changed the default location.
Anyway, I really would suggest that Melia put the game somewhere other than it wants to go.

Gil.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 12:42 PM

I downloaded the file and have the launcher installed, but, the game keeps hanging up on me. I haven't messed around with it much to see if I can mess around with compatibility settings or anything yet, and I can still play it on my XP, so, no biggy. I sure wish they would do a remake of it though.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 01:59 PM

I cleaned it out (uninstall, that is) and re-installed it in MYDocuments.

I still get the message that it "can't find the files, please insert a disk."

This is using the Launcher, with the option to run from the hard drive checked.
I also get the same message if I uncheck that option and have the original disk in the CD drive.
Oddly, I can hear it accessing the drive, but it "can't find the files."

Also, I get the message that I don't have the patch installed.
Yes. I am using the original CD's. not a downloaded version. If I tell it to get the patch, it comes up "unavailable."
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 02:14 PM

I'd recommend posting at Glitches forum for any technical problems anyone is having with installing or playing Grim. luck

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 02:19 PM

Well, hey!

I got in and it seems to run just fine. The problem? It wouldn't go without the patch.

I looked for it at LucasArts, and it seems unavailable, but found a copy at http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=patch
Installed and ran the file, and everything works as expected. WooHoo!
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 02:24 PM

Glad you got it fixed, Tally Ho!

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 02:33 PM

Me too. Thanks.
Now I wish I could do the same for Mystery of the Druids. I suspect a new video card is the answer for that one.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/12/14 03:49 PM

Melia, I was moving your post "I had trouble with installing it and then running it, too. Uninstalled." to Glitches, but somehow it got lost. I apologize.

Please everyone, as I mentioned earlier in the thread and Rushes reinforced, do not post here for technical issues. Please post in Glitches.
Posted By: venus

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/13/14 05:58 PM

Fantastic news! I also hope there will be a PC version. grin

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/13/14 07:25 PM

Considering the fact that it's the PC gamers who are howling for Grim Fandango in any version...fixed up by GOG (over 40,000 votes) or Tim Schafer's hotted up Grim...and most console gamers have probably never even heard of it, it would be idiotic not to make it available for the PC.

Gil.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/14/14 12:35 AM

I can't picture how this game would work without the keyboard controls.
It would have to be entirely re-constructed.

Let the people with pliktrologiophobia play something else! lol

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/14/14 12:50 AM

Lol! You've got Merriam-Webster beat, Tally Ho!

Here's one for the books since you bring up the unknown-until-now tank control phobia (so that's what you call it): I've actually seen posts on another forum wishing that they would completely redo the background graphics!

And people think I'm nuts.

Gil.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/14/14 05:13 PM

HeeHee -

I only looked up the Greek word for keyboard. Came up with: πληκτρολόγιο

Maybe it's because we all suffered from Triskaidekaphobia yesterday! smile Sounds like I had nothing useful to do, right?
Posted By: ipad_Lover

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/15/14 01:12 PM

As a VITA owner, I can see why Sony is behind this game - because the VITA has an OLED touch screen -adventure games are a joy to play on it. I have an extensive collection of adventure games on the VITA an I'll get this one as well.

Using a touch screen this game will control well. The VITA is a very popular platform for adventure games.

I looked and could not find any information on a PC release.

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/15/14 04:10 PM

Does the VITA link to other devices; for example could you use the VITA touch-screen as your controller, while the game actually plays on a big TV or computer monitor? I only ask because I am not comfortable playing games on a little screen.
Posted By: ipad_Lover

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/15/14 05:50 PM

There is a vita tv being released in the us in December and I would look into that if I were you.

I play PC games - but some games do play better with a touch screen interface.
Posted By: Thorsgoats

Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! - 06/16/14 01:33 AM

I'm looking forward to playing it. I wasn't too fond of the controls, so I hope I have the option to use the mouse this time. I think the graphics already look good, but a polish might make them look even better.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community