GB HOMEPAGE

What Was Your First Adventure Game?

Posted By: Space Quest Fan

What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 01:37 AM

My first game was Kings Quest and I was huge fan of Sierra and LucasArts games. Anyone else out there start with Sierra games?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 02:59 AM

My first adventure game was Myst.
The first games I played were similar in style to Myst -- 1st person games that ran in Windows 95, like Shivers, Connections, Atlantis, Timelapse, Titanic, Reah, Byzantine, Amber, Lighthouse, etc.

The first DOS games I played were Labyrinth of Time and Secret of Monkey Island.
Labyrinth of Time played in silence, but Secret of Monkey Island was an updated version that worked with sound in Windows 95.

Being able to play ALL the classic DOS Sierra and LucasArts games (not just those few that had been "updated" to run in Windows 95) was my inspiration for learning how to configure sound in DOS.
However they were not my earliest games.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 03:05 AM

Monkey Island. laugh

I still remember taking months to finish. No walkthroughs. wink
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 03:19 AM

Mine was Dracula The Last Sanctuary. I think it's still my favorite!
Posted By: MaG

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 03:21 AM

My first game was Adventure aka Colossal Cave Adventure when it was first released.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 03:22 AM

Probably the first game I TRIED to play was Myst because it came with my computer but I think the first game I actually completed was Blackstone Chronicles but not when I first attempted it. It took me a long time to figure out how to play these games. When I went back to Myst I used a walkthrough for the whole game and STILL didn't understand what I was doing.
Posted By: gameho

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 03:45 AM

Tex Murphy Under A Killing Moon! Then Phantasmogoria.

gameho
Posted By: ergggo

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 03:49 AM

The Longest Journey. After playing for a little while, it was given that I would end up with a case of BAAGs.
Posted By: Marian

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 04:03 AM

My first adventure game was Zork. Shortly thereafter I played my first Sierra game, Wizard and the Princess.
Posted By: Elentgirl

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 09:44 AM

The first real adventure game I played was Myst, though I had earlier played games with an adventure element on my Sinclair QL and Amiga. My second game was Riven, which I preferred to Myst (heresy. I know!), and my third was The Journeyman Project, Legacy of Time. All three are still favourites of mine and I have their boxes on the shelf over my PC where I can look at them nostalgically.
Posted By: CaptainD

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 11:19 AM

My VERY first adventure game was a weird text adventure for the Commodore 16 that was on a ROM cartridge. It was called "William's Berg Adventure" and the only thing I really remember about it was that you could buy a meal which, when you ate it, gave you the reaction "That hit the spot!".

I never really got on too well with the text adventure genre tbh... the first adventure game that made me really fall in love with the genre was Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders on the Atari ST.
Posted By: connie

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 11:50 AM

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 12:13 PM

Zelda on a Supper Nintendo...Then Myst on my brothers computer... Then I played Syberia ...
Posted By: Cari

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 12:40 PM

Apart from the early text adventures I can’t remember if it was Monkey Island or Simon the Sorcerer. I know one had my all time favourite characters the Woodworm National Front—Hilarious.
Posted By: Rushes

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 01:27 PM

Pi-Mania, on the ZX81 -- does that count? laugh

My first PC adventure was Voodoo Kid. I enjoyed it, but didn't think to explore any further in the genre. A few years later, I was given Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes game, The Case of the Silver Earring, and that was it, I was hooked.
Posted By: Mad

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 03:17 PM

Monkey Island - quickly followed by Monkey island II yay

Then I discovered earlier games and played those smile

[And every single one took an age to complete because there were no walkthroughs in those days lol]

And after that I played any release I could afford to buy happydance
Posted By: oldman

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 04:21 PM

My first adventure game was a text adventure that came with my Apple IIc (my very first computer). I don't remember the name but I spent hours trying to figure out which commands to type in order to get my character to go in the right direction and do the correct things. Frustrating but fun.

Then I saw someone with an Apple IIGS and was amazed at the graphics on that machine which today would seem not so amazing. They also had a new graphics adventure called Kings Quest and I started playing it and was hooked. I subsequently played every Sierra game that came out and have been a "Sierra On Line" (just to differentiate from the new and unimproved "Sierra" after the sale) fan ever since.

I also remember that it was on a 5 1/4 disk. Some game had several disks and when you'd go to a different scene you had to swap disks and the same when you returned to a previous scene. Now my computer doesn't even have a 3.5 disk drive. My how times change.

I also remember getting hint books where you needed a special reader to read the hints.

Years ago we had this thread and there were a lot of Myst entries but not so many today. Hmmmmm?

Posted By: zookeeper

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 04:31 PM

My first was The Dig and second was Shivers so yes to starting my adventure game adventure with both Lucas Arts and Sierra. smile

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 04:56 PM

Wasn't there hint lines you could phone but had to pay for?

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: oldman
Years ago we had this thread and there were a lot of Myst entries but not so many today.

You mean this thread?
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/586004/1

There are more responses there period. But that thread lasted from January 9, 2010 through January 30, 2010 where this current thread was only started yesterday.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Cari
Wasn't there hint lines you could phone but had to pay for?

There sure were. Quite a pricey endeavor!
Posted By: sanford

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 06:47 PM

Also MYST, and since then I can be considered as a "MYSTAHOLIC". I believe that since then that I have played every game that has been mentioned in this thread. HAPPY GAMING, fellow Boomers.
Sandy
Posted By: oldman

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Originally Posted By: oldman
Years ago we had this thread and there were a lot of Myst entries but not so many today.

You mean this thread?
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/586004/1

There are more responses there period. But that thread lasted from January 9, 2010 through January 30, 2010 where this current thread was only started yesterday.

You're quite right Jenny. I'm sure the Myst enthusiasts will be along shortly. I hadn't realized that there were so many posts in the previous thread of 2010 wow.

Cari: I also remember the hint line and it was expensive a person had to have money to spare or be really desperate to call though. I always waited to find the hint booklet. The first ones from Sierra on Line had a yellow marker that you had to mark to see the hint answers. (Memories playing in the background)

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 09:01 PM

Wow does this bring back memories for me hearing about all these older games again. I feel for you who had Myst as your first game. I had trouble finishing that game even with a walkthrough. woozy

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 09:25 PM

I remember the Kings Quest games too; the first one, complete with those jerky character movements and the graphics which appeared to be made from tiny Lego bricks. But they quickly improved and I think set down the bedrock for many later puzzles we find variants of today.

Happy times.

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 10:56 PM

I know what you mean about the graphics. There was a fiddle that you had to pickup at one point in KQ1 and I couldn't figure out what it was the graphics were so fuzzy. woozy

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/12/15 11:48 PM

Wow, what memories, Jenny. Thank you for that link.
BTW, MYST has come a long way, such as "REALMYST"
Sandy

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 01:27 AM

Is the difference between Myst and Real Myst just updated graphics.
Posted By: cattitude

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 03:39 AM

Myst. I was hooked [probably played around 300 games]. Recently playing room escape games [last year or so], but I miss the immersion of a longer game, so I'm back sort of looking for the next Myst...

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 03:59 AM

Cattitude, the next "Myst" should be "XING". I just hope it stacks up with the original MYST games.
Space Quest Fan, I LOVE those updated graphics and the game engine as well. I still play it at least once a year.
Sandy
Posted By: TJL

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 05:47 AM

My first adventure game was "Castle Adventure" (DOS) which I used to play at school on lunch breaks in 1985 and then a long break until "Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None" which I played in early 2007. It set up the spark which has lasted through some 150 games so far.

Timo
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 05:54 AM

Believe it or not (BUT) I got interested in adventure games with playing the first Tomb Raider games. broccoli
Posted By: Adam Beals

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 06:31 AM

Myst for me. It was recommended by a friend and I remember exploring that island and getting lost. Good times smile
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 10:27 AM

My first game was also Myst. My sister got me started on adventure games and we played together over the phone. We talked as we played and helped each other that way. It was fun. We spent hours on the phone and would save in the same place and continue!

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 01:23 PM

zookeeper,

I forgot all about Shivers. That game was scary and I remember it had some creepy mucic too.
Posted By: CountZero

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 04:41 PM

Its kind of hard to remember so far back, but Im pretty sure my first adventure game was Maniac Mansion.
Posted By: cyanne

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 06:45 PM

My fist video game was King's Quest (one of the first) it was all green and we played on a PC AT with a hard disk of 10MB could you believe it hehe!. My friend and I, we made all sorts of written coloured design plan trying to decipher it. What a lot of fun we had. I bought all kind of fairytales books to make researchs as a walkthrough.
Posted By: copper

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/13/15 07:55 PM

My first adventure game was Hugo's House of Horrors, you had to type in just the right words to go forward, it really was a "horror" to play. Kings Quest seemed so 'high tech' after that!
Copper
Posted By: Mikael

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 02:53 AM

Leisure Suit Larry back in 1987. After the very first scene, it was clear that adventure games was my new favourite game genre.
Posted By: Karsten

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 10:29 AM

My first adventure game (without knowing it at the time) was Adventure from 1976 or 1977. In 1981, I think, my dad's business got a computer. And with the computer were this game. This text adveture. I couldn't go on and neither could my father frown . Now we move forward to 1998 where I got my first computer. And I think my first adventure gamer were Urban Runner or a game where I was in a museum and fell through a hole in time and landend in the middle ages. It was game that's involved templars an such. Great times smile

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 02:39 PM

I vaguely remember Urban Runner. Wasn't it full of "you can die" parts ?? scared
Posted By: SharonB

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 03:39 PM

It's hard to remember that far back, but I think it was Space Quest 4 that was the first game I really enjoyed and played to completion. I can't tell you how many times I got blown up in that game. (Those darn ordinances.) Then King's Quest 6 and Gabriel Knight, Sins of the Fathers. It's really all burred together but those were my early on favorites. There was Prophecy and an Elvira game that I tried to play as well... Somewhere in there Tex Murphy, Under a Killing Moon came along and that became my all time favorite - except for the next Tex Murphy games. laugh
Posted By: judith

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 05:02 PM

My first computer game wasn't adventure. It was from SSI (Strategic Simulations Inc.)It was a trilogy from 1991 called Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 1: The Champions of Krynn, 2: Death Knights of Krynn, 3: The Dark Queen of Krynn. After that it was all Sierra until I found GameBoomers & found out there were a lot more games out there that I would love, & the rest is history because now I'm an addict.

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 05:13 PM

CountZero,

I loved Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle.

Anybody remember:

The Kyrandia series
Altered Destiny
Countdown
Les Manley
Rex Nebular
Clara Bow
Posted By: Marian

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Space Quest Fan
CountZero,

Anybody remember:

The Kyrandia series
Altered Destiny
Countdown
Les Manley
Rex Nebular
Clara Bow

I remember all of those, and some of them are now sold on GOG. smile

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 05:29 PM

I remember most of them - and still re-play several.

I have original and GOG versions.

[Just can't bring myself to part with the originals !! lol]

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 05:41 PM

Anybody remember:

The Kyrandia series
Altered Destiny
Countdown
Les Manley
Rex Nebular
Clara Bow

Never heard of that last one, though I've played both Laura Bow games.

The only Clara Bow I know of was a movie actress of the 1920's.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001966/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
What a horrible life she had -- nothing at all like the carefree "It Girl" she played in the movie.
Imagine having your mother try to slit your throat the way hers did.
Posted By: Penny Lane

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 06:08 PM

My first adventure game was Nancy Drew; Message In A Haunted Mansion. I have been hooked ever since! I have all 31 games and I am anxiously awaiting delivery of # 32 which should be delivered today or tomorrow. happydance
Posted By: cyanne

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 06:42 PM

Hi space quest

Like I wrote my fist game was King's quest (don't remember the title, it had "rumplestliskin" in if as a puzzle) the second was Rosella. I was a great fan of Sierra Luca's art.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: MaG
My first game was Adventure aka Colossal Cave Adventure when it was first released.

That makes 2 of us - good times back then smile
Posted By: Susie07

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/14/15 10:37 PM

Hi, Space Quest Fan!

My very first game was "Wishbringer" by Infocom. It took me weeks to play, and I scribbled out pages and pages of notes and maps. After that, I was hooked and bought practically every new Infocom game that was released. Then I discovered Tex Murphy and Gabriel Knight, and the rest, as they say, is history happydance !

Susan
Posted By: venus

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/16/15 01:36 PM

Great question, Space Quest! Prepare for long post. lol I don't even remember the name of my first adventure game. It was a text game I played on my stepfather's work computer, and I remember I kept dying and having to reload. I was determined to get past one particular area. Not sure if I ever did. lol

Then there was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, another text game. It was like playing through a very difficult version of the novel, and I loved it. lol After that, I remember Alice and Wonderland by Windham Classics and Labyrinth by Lucas Arts (Lucas Film then) on the Commodore 64. I'm not sure if either really qualified as adventure games, as they had "action" elements, but they were a lot of fun. Alice in Wonderland was my favorite of the two. I played it with my mom quite a bit, and we couldn't even save the game, so we kept having to start over from the beginning. We got to know that game very well. lol When we finally finished, it was a huge accomplishment. It's too bad I can't play that game anymore, as I'd like to.

My first "official" graphic adventure was Maniac Mansion, also for the Commodore 64. I can still play the Windows version of that game on ScummVM. thumbsup Zak McKracken arrived not long after (also playable on ScummVM and available on GOG grin), and those two were my favorites for quite some time.

King's Quest 6 was the first game that blew me away on a story level, and it was the type of evolution I'd been hoping for. Even though it was a basic fairy tale story, there was so much detail in the plot and in all the subplots, which fit together beautifully.

Then I discovered Grim Fandango, then The Longest Journey and finally went back to get the Gabriel Knight games. I'd somehow missed the GK games when they first came out, which is a shame, as I would have loved them at the time. These remain my favorite games today, along with Culpa Innata, The Lost Crown and The Walking Dead, and soon Dreamfall Chapters and Life is Strange will be added to that list as well. It's amazing to see how games continue to grow, in some ways better than others. lol I continue to replay my old favorites all the time, and I continue to get excited about the new ones as well. Adventure games are such a diverse and fantastic genre. praise
Posted By: Sparkle

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/16/15 03:30 PM

Syberia. The artwork and graphics had me mezmerized. The beginning of an addiction. Longest Journey and Darkfall Trilogy came next.
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/16/15 03:38 PM

Syberia was my first ,thanks to a shopping trip with my brother in law!

He was upgrading diablo ,and I asked if there was anything without fighting. He picked Syberia because it had won game of the year .

Took FOREVER ,because I didn't know about Gameboomers or walkthroughs .I remember being so stunned by the graphics and cutscenes ,and what a great story !

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/16/15 05:02 PM

Venus,

Reading your list makes me think that we enjoy the same games. smile

Reading the posts about Syberia reminded me of how much I loved that game and I can still picture the rain and snow in that game.
Posted By: SirDave

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/16/15 06:45 PM

I toyed with 7th Guest and Monkey Island 1, but really didn't get into them at first. But Myst was really the first AG that I played from beginning to end in 1995.

Of course, I've been a major 'all things Myst and Myst-like' fan forever, but here's what still amazes me:

The Rand brothers started work on Myst in 1991 -that's 24 years ago! Keep in mind how relatively primitive computer graphics were in the early 90's, not to mention how limited the monitors were. Now skip forward to the present and play the opening scenes of the original Myst on a modern computer set up. Also, if you have them, take a look at Myst, Masterpiece Edition (from 2000) and realMyst.

What strikes me is how well the game compares to present AGs. Of course, the Masterpiece edition has enhanced graphics and music, but it still is essentially the original game simply updated to work better on computers that now had improved graphics and sound cards. The game itself is unchanged.

Point being: What genius was at work for the boys at Cyan to have conceived of and created a game that was not only years ahead of its time, but which (along with Riven) anticipated the possibilities of adventure games far into the future. Personally, I have not come across to this day any AG that has the same level of the combination of original graphics and puzzles of the first 3 Myst games (yes I know that Myst III was a Presto game, but the Millers still assisted, directly and indirectly, in production).
Posted By: venus

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/17/15 02:04 PM

I love Syberia and its sequel as well. thumbsup Also Still Life and The Moment of Silence, both of which came out around that time. thumbsup

Space Quest, I remember that we enjoy many of the same games. You have great taste. grin

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/17/15 04:32 PM

lol Venus.

I forgot about Moment of Silence. That was a good game.

After reading all these posts it makes me want to play these games over again. smile
Posted By: CountZero

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/18/15 08:01 AM

CountZero,

Anybody remember:

The Kyrandia series
Altered Destiny
Countdown
Les Manley
Rex Nebular
Clara Bow

I had quite forgotten about Les Manley...Im sure, I have forgot more than I remember...
Posted By: sureshot

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/18/15 05:26 PM

Wow - this brings me back to my first computer - an IBM 8086 ! My first Adventure game was Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. That was the "hook" then it's all a blur from there. I do know I went through all the Sierra games after that.

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/18/15 09:09 PM

I had a friend tell me the other day that his first game was one of the old Sierra Quest for Glory games. I think the fourth one in Mordovia was my favorite.

Another thing I loved about the Sierra games was the ability in Gabriel Knight to play as Gabe and Grace. I also remember that in the Quest games you could pick from several different characters. Very cool.
Posted By: Karsten

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/18/15 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
I vaguely remember Urban Runner. Wasn't it full of "you can die" parts ?? scared

I can't remember. But I was very impressed because it was one of the first games to use the full motion effect. And by that I mean the game looked just like a show on TV. And I think it also had 3D movement effects....
Posted By: gatsbygirl

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/19/15 04:40 PM

Space Quest,

My first game was Laura Bow: The Dagger of Amon Ra, a Sierra game. I had just bought my first computer and a friend was playing adventure games, so I tried this one. I had no computer experience, had no idea what I was doing (often still don't laugh ) and thought that I would never get the hang of a mouse but I loved this game! After that, I played most of the King's Quest games and loved them, too.

The only bad thing about the Sierra games was that if you missed something in the beginning,and didn't pick it up, you would get to the end and die. In Laura Bow, I was all the way at the end and rescued, Steve from the coal bin only to have him step on a nail because I had missed picking up his boot earlier in the game. They couldn't escape from the killer! Very frustrating. My friend had the same problem with Police Quest. Still have very fond memories of Laura Bow and wish that they had made more of them.

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/19/15 05:37 PM

Hi, sureshot!

My first computer was also an IBM 8086. It had a whopping 640K of RAM, monochrome monitor and 2 5-1/4" floppies, and cost just under $5,000 (including the printer). I was only able to play text adventures, but I have a vivid imagination so one game would keep me engrossed for weeks lol ! Half the fun was typing in rude comments just to see what the reply was, and the developers were ready for just about anything!

Susan
Posted By: Rushes

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/19/15 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Susie07
Half the fun was typing in rude comments just to see what the reply was, and the developers were ready for just about anything!

I seem to remember with Pi-Mania (my first adventure) that if you typed in a swear word, the Pi-Man would take offence and kick you out of the game and back to the entry screen! lol

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/19/15 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Karsten
Originally Posted By: Mad

I can't remember. But I was very impressed because it was one of the first games to use the full motion effect. And by that I mean the game looked just like a show on TV. And I think it also had 3D movement effects....

Yes, I agree. It was a very "good looking" game for the day but having checked my (ancient) notes, I find I never did complete the game because of the constant "dying".

[ And I'm still not quick enough today, half the time !! lol ]
Posted By: deleterman

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/19/15 08:44 PM

my 1st game was Duke Nukem 3D , and the other day just finished all episodes ,what a great game .now on to Broken sword 5..

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/19/15 09:31 PM

gatsbygirl,

I didn't know that about the Laura Bow games. I do remember being frustrated at dying over and over in several games. The Police Quest games gave me problems because I could never follow the proper procedure. lol

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/20/15 02:06 AM

Hi, Rushes!

Now that's funny lol ! I don't remember playing any games that sent players back to the beginning if they typed in any rude comments, but the game developers back then must have had some pretty hilarious brainstorming sessions because they anticipated pretty well every swear word imaginable.

BTW, I had to Google "Pi-Mania" because I have never heard of it before.

Susan

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/20/15 02:51 AM

Rushes,

I think it was one of the Lucas Arts games maybe Zak or Maniac Mansion that had the copy protection system and if you entered the wrong code it put you in jail and said " You really should buy a legal version of the game." lol

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/21/15 07:34 PM

Hi Susie07 - I've been called away for a while - Yep - My first 8086 was supplied to the Executives of the Insurance Company I worked for. As a VP - I got an IBM machine set up to terminal into a System 36 IBM Mainframe with an Emulation card to run it as a PC also. They came with Leisure Suit Larry installed and we were ENCOURAGED to play it to get familiar with the PC and its use !!

That was my start - and my home machine cost me $4000.00 !! NO PRINTER.... rotfl
Posted By: Volkana

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/21/15 07:39 PM

Tex Murphy The Pandora Directive grin
Posted By: Gnabgib

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/26/15 08:00 PM

First for me was Phantasmagoria. Still have the original 7 disc version and the G.O.G. digital version

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/26/15 08:40 PM

Yeah !! A fantastic game !! bravo

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/26/15 10:41 PM

Grabgib, I ALSO have the original boxed game, and I can still play it on my "dinosaur" WIN XP computer. I have not purchased the GOG version, however. HAPPY GAMING!
Sandy

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/26/15 11:31 PM

I, too, have the old 7 disk version which I can still play on my wonderful Win98 machine.
But it's SO much more convenient to use the download from GOG laugh
Posted By: ramona

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/27/15 12:36 AM

Myst was my first adventure game. So glad I bought it.
Posted By: Barry

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/27/15 06:20 AM

Looks like we have a first game played in common MaG. My first game was The Colossal Cave also. Followed by the first color game Journey.
Posted By: LadyKestrel

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/28/15 08:06 PM

My first game ever was Starship Titanic. I was a novice computer user as well as gamer and didn't even have a clue about navigation. I spent countless hours wandering around that starship but loved every minute of the zany Python humor.

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/28/15 08:59 PM

Hi, sureshot!

I received my very first IBM PC at work (also an insurance company) in 1984, but I was Secretary to the Executive lol ! It was plopped on my desk with "Multimate" (a WP software package) and Lotus (a spreadsheet software package) one Friday afternoon, so I took the software manuals home to familiarize myself with the programs. I didn't dare say I didn't know how to use it since I had been whining for months about getting a computer because I was sick of re-typing my boss' speeches and letters grin .

I bought my first IBM PC in 1986, and I'm sure the computer alone must have been about $4,000. Mine didn't come with any software, but it didn't take me long to find the games in my local computer store. One game I remember playing (and really enjoying) was "Starflight". It was totally addicting and took forever to finish.

Susan

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/28/15 09:13 PM

I had forgot all about Starflight. Man I feel old. woozy

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/28/15 10:50 PM

Hi, Space Quest Fan!

I know how you feel. It only seems like yesterday that we were enjoying the new release of another Gabriel Knight or Tex Murphy game, and it's been over 20 years.

I normally stuck to adventure games, but absolutely loved "Starflight" because it was so darn addictive. I would play into the wee hours of the morning while mumbling to myself "just a few more minutes" because I just couldn't put it down. I also bought "Starflight 2". GOG.com has both games for $5.99, and I'm actually tempted to pick them up.

Susan
Posted By: gatsbygirl

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 05/28/15 11:12 PM

Gnabgib,

I loved that game but I ended up getting killed. Guess there were different endings depending on the choices made and I apparently picked the wrong ones because the husband killed her before I could finish the game frown I'm not exactly sure how it did end because of that but I thought it was creepy and liked having the live actors. Couldn't believe that Stella Stevens was in it!
Posted By: BubbaJake

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/02/15 04:29 PM

MYST, MYST, MYST. Was so baffled by it, but intrigued. The one I played and went crazy for (understood and loved) was Pandora Directive. I've played all of the Myst games up to Riven, but I'm a dyed in the wool Tex Murphy fan.

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/02/15 06:49 PM

All I remember from my office computer was playing Leisure Suit Larry - and getting reports off my dot matrix printer which made a racket and dropped those little dots of paper all over my office ! Space Quest series was next - and holy buckazoids - that's when I started on the road to BAAGSdom and it's a blurr after that ! haha

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/02/15 09:19 PM

I have to give some love to the Space Quest shoutout. thumbsup sureshot.

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/03/15 01:09 AM

A fitting tribute for a great game, Space Quest Fan !! bravo

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/03/15 01:20 AM

I think it was the humor of the Space Quest games that helped get me hooked on computer gaming.
Posted By: DocPaul

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/03/15 12:13 PM

Myst was my first. Then, Beyond Time.
Posted By: FlyingDutchman42

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/03/15 03:46 PM

I bought my first PC rather late, probably at the end of the 90's.
Before that I played Nintendo,Super Nintendo and Playstation
I really cant remember the first game but if one can call it an
adventure game than Zelda on Nintendo must have been my first
adventure. When I got my PC I played Cryo games (to difficult
though) and I tried different Myst games, which were really
pretty but I couldn't finish them. slapforehead
I did not know the world of the walkthrough back then. cry
Recently I played Zelda (majora's Mask) again
(on Super Nintendo) and I still liked it a lot. idea

Posted By: 3dobermans

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/04/15 01:19 AM

Also first played Myst, or I should say, tried to then gave up. Then along came Riddle of the Sphinx and made it through after finding out there were such things as walkthroughs, namely per GB.

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/04/15 09:12 PM

Those of you who played Myst as their first game have earned my respect. I was not smart enough for that game. I had trouble finishing it even with a walkthrough. woozy

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/04/15 09:15 PM

Those of you who played Myst as their first game have earned my respect.

I knew about walkthroughs six years before playing a game myself.
Nothing particularly "respectable" about that.
Posted By: joanieS

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/06/15 01:19 PM

Myst, when it first came out. I bought my first computer just to play that game. Took me 3 months to finish....no walkthru's back then. Loved the King's Quest series. I guess just because these were new experiences my enjoyment playing these games has never been equaled by subsequent offerings. Just hearing the starting music of these games gives me a burst of "happy". I still love the adventure game genre but don't really play them anymore. Still have a closet-full of these old games that I just cannot part with.
Posted By: lexxy

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/06/15 04:43 PM

My very first adventure game was Under A Killing Moon and today with all the new techknowledge afforded the new games Tex remains my favorite.

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/06/15 04:54 PM

I know what you mean about the opening game themes Joanie. In my opinion games really went to a new level when soundtracks became a priority in games. Monkey Island has to be my all time favorite but I also love Kyrandia, The Dig, The Longest Journey, and the Syberia music and sound effects, smile

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/07/15 02:34 PM

"Just hearing the starting music of these games gives me a burst of "happy."

Ahhhhh !! And not just the opening music. The Sierra Start Screens are still absolutely MAGICAL for me !!

HERE ARE SOME reminders happydance

Re: What Was Your First Adventure Game? - 06/07/15 04:49 PM

thanks Mad. That link rekindled a lot of good memories. thumbsup
© 2024 GameBoomers Community