GB HOMEPAGE

FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/07/15 12:31 AM

For those of you that want to purchase your games on GoG and dislike Steam, this message is for you.

As I read through the threads, much of the posts regarding whether or not a new game is going to be available on GoG, seems to point towards the developer and Publisher on where the games are released and the truth is, this is not the way it goes. Most developers want to get their games Greenlit on Steam because it has the largest following and they pay, but this does not mean that they don't try and get their games on other portals such as GoG.

For instance, there was a new game released yesterday that I announced here that was denied acceptance to GoG. They are only the latest that I have been informed of in the last few weeks, but I do not have permission to name the others.

If you wish a game to be released on GoG, may I suggest you write them and let them know? Posting your wishes here will not get the game on there, the developer and your wishes can only be heard if you make some noise. I know you can do it! Start your writing campaign when the games are announced instead of waiting until they are released so that maybe you can purchase them soon after release!

In the meantime, please do not assume that the developers and publishers are the ones that dictate where the games are released. They are at the mercy of acceptance at the various portals.

Update (thanks Marian) - There is a wishlist here you can vote for games.

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave

Posted By: Marian

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/07/15 12:37 AM

Good info, Ana. I encourage everyone to write to GOG if you wish to see a particular game released there. wave
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/07/15 01:26 AM

thanks Ana thumbsup
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/07/15 01:39 AM

Good information... and great suggestion.
Posted By: sanford

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/07/15 05:12 AM

Thanks very much for your explanation about new games ending up only on Steam.Ana. My only objection to the STEAM way of getting games is because of their TERRIBLE ("non") SUPPORT SYSTEM, and I'm not the only Boomer to say the same thing about Steam "support". The one and ONLY reason that I buy games from STEAM is because they just aren't available anywhere else, at least at this time. I'm hoping that will change in the very near future. I WILL contact GOG and tell them about my concerns about this.
Sandy
Posted By: Mad

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/07/15 10:32 AM

Thanks for the info, BrownEyedTigre. I'll be sure to contact GOG !! yes
Posted By: cg_mike

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/07/15 07:14 PM

Interestingly, GOG used to have a system in place for this. If you searched for a game on their site and they didn't have it, you could add yourself to the tally of people who wanted to see that game added to GOG's store.

The mechanism was a bit obscure, and we only learned about it because a kind-hearted fan wrote to us and told us that they did this for Prominence -- presumably because they wanted a DRM-free version, which we completely understand. At some point, though, GOG removed the system from the site.

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/07/15 07:20 PM

Are you referring to the GOG wish list? Because you can still find it here.
Posted By: cg_mike

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/07/15 08:30 PM

Woo! Thanks Marian! Yes, it looks like it's been transformed into "Community Wishlist" and is in beta.

Glad that they haven't abandoned it, but I really hope they wire it up to the Search tool again, and into the account Wishlist as well. I had checked both of those avenues before posting, just to see if they had brought it back. Neither mentions anything about the Community Wishlist.

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/07/15 08:49 PM

You're welcome. I was certain that I had seen that wish list recently and was glad to see that it's still there. wave
Posted By: Dan Peach

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/08/15 02:15 AM

First time I'm seeing this - you can vote for Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting on there. If you like. Just search for it. laugh

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/08/15 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Dan Peach
First time I'm seeing this - you can vote for Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting on there. If you like. Just search for it. laugh

Will do, Dan. thumbsup
Posted By: Dan Peach

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/08/15 02:24 AM

Hey, thanks. grin thumbsup
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/08/15 03:57 AM

Of course Dan! hearts

Ana wave
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: FYI on Purchasing Newly Released Games on GoG - 08/08/15 12:30 PM

Thanks, found it and voted. :-)
Posted By: Draclvr