GB HOMEPAGE

Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/29/15 11:34 PM

Watch the trailer here.

See the screenshots here.

Get the Midnight Horror here.

Quote:
Haarlem, The Netherlands – 29 October 2015 – Get spooked with Midnight Horror (PC), a new adventure by Jonathan Boakes (Dark Fall, The Lost Crown). Midnight Horror is released today on Steam and is set between the The Lost Crown (2008) and The Last Crown: Blackenrock (soon to be released).

Midnight Horror comes with all the trappings a fan of the ‘Crown’ series would expect. Set on Halloween, a new Saxton village mystery will be uncovered, with the help of ghost-hunting gadgets, a séance and use of the Dark Arts. Collect your ghostly evidence and find out who or what is haunting the local harbour pub. Test your detective skills to uncover this brand new paranormal mystery.

“Midnight Horror is a standalone ghost story, a celebration of Halloween, but also acts as a re-introduction to the ‘Crown’ universe, and the people of Saxton,” says Darkling Room’s Jonathan Boakes. He continues: “I hope you enjoy the game! It's been a blast to make and it acts as a super Prologue for Blackenrock, as well as a seasonal title in its own right.”

Various assets have been created for the release of Midnight Horror, to show a first eerie glimpse of the game. The gameplay trailer is now streaming on Iceberg’s Youtube channel HERE. Download the complete press kit, containing screenshots and the gameplay trailer HERE.

Development of the new Crown game The Last Crown: Blackenrock is wrapping up and the release date will shortly be announced by publisher Iceberg Interactive. Meanwhile, Midnight Horror is now available on Steam with an attractive SRP of just $4.99/€4,99 / £3.99. http://store.steampowered.com/app/291770

About Midnight Horror
Halloween: when the veil between our world and the 'other side' is at its weakest. Witches celebrate Samhain, a Celtic festival from the old religion, conjuring the dead and communing with the spirits. Nigel Danvers, ghost-hunter, knows all about the ghosts that dwell in the darkness, he has seen plenty to convince him there are dark forces at work. So, why is Halloween so different? Something is haunting the guest rooms above the local harbour-side pub, The Bear. Who or what hides in the shadowy corners of the old Inn? What is the presence at the end of the Harbour Wall? Dusting down his old ghost-hunting gadgets, Nigel gets to work. He has one night to find out, before the veil returns to full strength, and the Halloween Horror is gone, for another year.

Features:
• A classic point and click adventure.
• An intermezzo between The Lost Crown and The Last Crown: Blackenrock.
• Story driven plot by Jonathan Boakes (Dark Fall, The Lost Crown).
• Test your detective skills to uncover a paranormal mystery.
• Utilise an array of ghost-hunting gadgets to see and hear the spirit world.
• Interact with the Saxton locals, in your pursuit of the truth.
• Dabble in the Dark Arts, on Samhain, like the witches of old.
• Collect ghostly evidence, to scrutinise for clues.
• Play several Halloween Party games, many with a supernatural twist.
• Practise your Psychometry skills, with local White Wicca, Nanny Noah.
• Full cast audio and music, plus atmospheric sound effects.

About Darkling Room
Darkling Room joined with Jonathan Boakes in Spring 2005, to pursue many shared interests, and construct projects with a shared passion, and devotion. Firmly based on England's South West coast, Darkling Room are proud to support contributions from London, Europe, the U.S. and beyond. With such an eclectic mix of work, output and association, a definite base of operations is essential. Cornwall offers clear, free spaces, fresh air, crystal seas and acres of inspiration, 3 hours from London. Since its inception, Darkling Room have created several supernatural adventure games from the digital pen of Jonathan Boakes, the Dark Fall and The Lost Crown series.

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/29/15 11:48 PM

Thanks, Ana. Just the perfect game! ghost

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/29/15 11:53 PM

Jan Kavan had his helping hands in this one too! yay

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/29/15 11:54 PM

Wow! What a treat! ghost thumbsup
Posted By: CountZero

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 12:06 AM

Is this the one that was supposed to come out a few years ago around Halloween? Did I see Nanny Noah? smile
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 12:15 AM

Yummy. happydance

thanks Ana

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 12:19 AM

Nice screenshots. smile
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 12:22 AM

I read an interesting comment on Jonathan's blog about this game.

"The game will be available online, Steam, but also from me, directly, DRM free in the near future. I also want to make a lower res version for laptops and smaller desktop resolutions."

That is good news on many levels. You can check his blog for the totality of remarks with this link.

Jonathan Boakes

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 12:23 AM

Downloading smile
Posted By: plumgas

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 12:56 AM

just downloaded, finally its here
Posted By: LeBelleRachael

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 01:05 AM

Glad to see my boy JB is Back!!! bravo Just snagged it!
Posted By: venus

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 01:09 AM

Great news, thanks Ana! woot And thanks for the additional news, oldmariner! Glad he's also making a DRM free version. thumbsup I went ahead and bought the Steam version because I'm in a hurry. lol I'll purchase the DRM free version as well, probably as soon as it's out, since it doesn't cost very much.

Looking forward to the fuller upcoming game as well. thumbsup

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: CountZero
Is this the one that was supposed to come out a few years ago around Halloween? Did I see Nanny Noah? smile

This is not the one from a year ago. This is an entirely different one.

Ana wave
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 04:00 AM

Ooo... a nice little Halloween treat!
Posted By: dianne

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 05:51 AM

Guess that I will play this one in the near future as I really don't do Steam meanwhile I will just play some of my BIG fish Games the KEY TO RAVENHEARST Really having fun with this one really enjoy my mystery case files Dianne smile

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 06:09 AM

Shoot. Downloaded the game but it wont play on my laptop. It seems the requirements on steam are not correct.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 06:26 AM

I'm going to "take control of myself" and wait for the "DRM Free" release laugh

And thanks VERY much for the news, BrownEyedTigre thumbsup
Posted By: plumgas

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 08:20 AM

Originally Posted By: CountZero
Shoot. Downloaded the game but it wont play on my laptop. It seems the requirements on steam are not correct.

does it give you any error messages as this game should play on anything
Posted By: metamorphium

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 10:05 AM

Can it be a question of resolution (which actually is a part of requirements)? If not something is definitely amiss. eek

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 03:50 PM

Plays perfect for me. My resolution is 1680x1050.
Posted By: monbron

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 04:22 PM

Gosh what a lovely surprise, 'course I couldn't wait and am now downloading from Steam but a bit of surprise that it will take about 4 hours to download and that is with fibre optic at 35 Mb, but I just know it will be well worth it, can't wait for the evening when I will have time to explore. dance taz

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: metamorphium
Can it be a question of resolution (which actually is a part of requirements)? If not something is definitely amiss. eek

Yes, thats the problem. Thanks for the help....

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 05:17 PM

Glad it's working now. thumbsup

Thank you for your help, metamorphium. wave
Posted By: shardlake

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 07:07 PM

oh yes this is just what I need for the weekend... thank you dance

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 07:09 PM

welcome to GameBoomers, shardlake. Have fun with the game!
Posted By: maggsie

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 07:28 PM

Great news Ana the same spooky sounds as in Darkfall. Going to click over to Steam hope I don't have any trouble like Metamorphium.
Thanks ANA
Cheers
Maggsie

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 07:32 PM

smile awww maggsie. The only trouble I had was helping with programming that game.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 07:34 PM

smile awww maggsie. The only trouble I had was helping with programming that game.

And thank you for helping with the programming! bravo
Posted By: TJL

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/30/15 07:57 PM

Couldn't wait for the DRM-free version directly from Jonathan which he mentions - downloaded today from Steam as soon as I noticed this. Seven years of waiting is finally over. No matter how long or short this one is. Can hardly wait for the real dark which comes here in Finland much sooner than for most of you, ha ha!

Timo
Posted By: meryl

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/31/15 03:52 PM

I followed the link to buy this game which directed me to Steam which I've never used before. I wanted to go ahead and purchase but to do so I had to sign up for membership and all the "benefits" this would bring me (including more clutter in my in-box)
I declined. Why can't paeople just sell you something any more. It's surely not too smart to do this. I'm not a salesperson but I did go on a short course some time ago and I'll always remember the basic principle of successful selling "Never give your customer a disincentive to buy"
Fancy going into a shop and giving the product to be wrapped and just about to produce your credit card to be told "Oh, if you want that sweater Madam you'll have to....do this first/join this/provide these details/ agree to be contacted again".
Or am i just getting old and grumpy?!!

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/31/15 05:49 PM

meryl, life is no longer simple with VatMoss. For example I had to close my own simple DRM free shop. You can read about this here: http://store.cbe-software.com/index.php

I am part of anti-vatmoss campaign and I have proof that people having to comply with the rules already lost thousands of euros just for the bureaucracy involved. Steam and other solutions are currently the only way.

So while the big sharks this VatMoss is aimed at always have money to solve this, hundreds of smaller outlets (like us) just had to close the door.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/31/15 05:54 PM

Hi Honza,
Hope things/life/health are well with you.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/31/15 06:45 PM

awww flowers

isn't life meant to constantly try our patience and sanity? wink

Lots of things happened, both great and horrible and one new cool announcement coming soon.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/31/15 07:36 PM

Very sad to hear about your shop, metamorphium frown
Posted By: meryl

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/31/15 07:55 PM

Just read your story Metamorphium. How dreadful and I'm so sorry to hear it. I had no idea there were issues here other than those immediately apparent.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/31/15 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: meryl
I followed the link to buy this game which directed me to Steam which I've never used before. I wanted to go ahead and purchase but to do so I had to sign up for membership and all the "benefits" this would bring me (including more clutter in my in-box)
I declined. Why can't paeople just sell you something any more. It's surely not too smart to do this. I'm not a salesperson but I did go on a short course some time ago and I'll always remember the basic principle of successful selling "Never give your customer a disincentive to buy"
Fancy going into a shop and giving the product to be wrapped and just about to produce your credit card to be told "Oh, if you want that sweater Madam you'll have to....do this first/join this/provide these details/ agree to be contacted again".
Or am i just getting old and grumpy?!!

No clutter in your mailbox. I've been a member for many years and have no troubles or spam.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/31/15 11:51 PM

Which is which on steam? There is "Midnight Horror and Halloween Horror"
The price on steam says 4.99 for Midnight Horror... Is that the same game...?

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/31/15 11:56 PM

Just click on the link in the first post.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 10/31/15 11:57 PM

What first post ? The one that says 4.99 for the game...?

Also requirements says OS: Windows XP, Vista frown

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 12:06 AM

THe first post in this thread that I announced the game in. It has the link to the game on Steam.

The MINIMUM Requirements are XP and Vista.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 12:13 AM

GOT IT thumbsup Its installing now...

Thanks Ana
Happy Halloween to all witch

I just started playing but I want to save the game as my doorbell is ringing off the wall with kids...How do you get to save the game?

I got it.... You have to press the ESC key...
It is really NICE... I LOVE IT !!!!

Thanks Johnathan what a nice surprise...
Posted By: TJL

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 03:55 PM

Played it through. According to Steam game statistics it took 7 hours. The actual playing time may have been 2-3 hours less because I left it several times in pause state.

How good it felt to meet Nigel and other villagers again. But I can't avoid getting a thought that this was published in a hurry for Halloween. There is a confirmed bug with DJ voucher and there are several things that scream for use in the game:
Click to reveal..
runes in the fireplace, blackened names in Mankle family tree, door phone at the end of the upstairs corridor, several items in your inventory etc. Lucy and Nigel never explored things together as planned. And who was the murderer and what was the motive?
Some or all of these may find use or get explanation in "Last Crown: Blackenrock", but now they left only an unfinished and unpolished feeling.

But this gave us hope finally getting a full length episode in the Crown trilogy, quadrilogy or what ever it will be!

JB, you made my Halloween!

Timo
Posted By: monbron

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 06:10 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhh You must be good, I have played for about an hour and not done much but then I am just enjoying being back in Saxton I think perhaps I should get on with the game thumbsup woot
Posted By: exalthim2

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 06:47 PM

Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between Steam and DRM? Is it hard to download on Steam?

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 06:59 PM

It is easy to download from Steam. Steam has DRM which means that it is copy protected and you can't burn it to a disk or lend it to someone.

Ana wave
Posted By: exalthim2

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 07:01 PM

Great!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: exalthim2
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between Steam and DRM?

DRM means Digital Rights Management.
That means ANY software-based contrivance which MANAGES your acquisition or use of the software (game, movie, etc.)

Copy "protection" is DRM, both disc-based and online activation.
Steam and Big Fish both require the use a client which activates games after downloading, as do many other companies.

"DRM-Free" means no online activation, no disc check for games that come on CD or DVD. "DRM-Free" games are available by direct download through your web browser at GOG, DotEMU, and sometimes developer websites. Sites like ShinyLoot, HumbleBundle, and Adventuregamers Store may give a choice of DRM-free direct download or Steam.

Steam likes to call some of their games "DRM-free" when the games don't require activation after downloading. But since the Steam client is still required to download the games in the first place, and you can't simply download them from a link with your web browser, the games are still being digitally MANAGED and aren't truly "DRM-free."

Quote:
Is it hard to download on Steam?

It is impossible unless you first install the Steam client.
All downloading from Steam must be done through the Steam client.
If you've used the Big Fish client, you should have a general idea how that works, though the interface on the Steam client will of course be different.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

Steam likes to call some of their games "DRM-free" when the games don't require activation after downloading. But since the Steam client is still required to download the games in the first place, and you can't simply download them from a link with your web browser, the games are still being digitally MANAGED and aren't truly "DRM-free."

I politely disagree. In this light every website selling DRM-free games is actually DRM, because they don't let anyone download the game. So you have to either set up an account, or they email you some generated link etc.

If you don't activate DRM on Steam (eg. Midnight Horror doesn't use any DRM) you can copy the game to a CD, uninstall Steam and play the game without ever running Steam client again. In short - you don't have to have Steam client running to run the game and it doesn't manage the data in any way you don't let it to.

So the correct view is that Steam is a service, not a DRM. Developers can choose to use a DRM inside Steam, but if they don't, the client is merely a downloader. You can go as far as to tell, that your game will be using online validation, but this all is developers decision, Steam doesn't force you to do anything like this.

Unlike other sites though, Steam allows developers to push updates directly to you. For example a few hours ago we've pushed a Midnight Horror update which automatically updates the game for all steam users without them having to lift a finger for it. So while there is some (for me to be honest non-understandable) movement against Steam (especially now when they offer refunds as not many places do this so easily) - from the viewpoint of developer, the benefits far outweights a couple of people having a beef with this service. If I compare it to malware like Securom, Safedisc or Laserlok which is being part of too many DVD releases, I am pretty happy with what they offer. smile

Another benefit is that until Steam stays, you don't have to care about backing up your games. Simply redownload them whenever you wish (no limits).

My only gripe is that sometimes games on Steam are almost two times more pricey, but that's once again a decision of developer in question. Developers are in full control over all aspects of their release including the price.

So just my two cents. wave

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 08:56 PM

I agree with you completely Jan, I happen to prefer Steam and find it easy to use and I enjoy and utilize the extras they offer as well.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 09:14 PM

Quote:
If you don't activate DRM on Steam (eg. Midnight Horror doesn't use any DRM) you can copy the game to a CD, uninstall Steam and play the game without ever running Steam client again. In short - you don't have to have Steam client running to run the game and it doesn't manage the data in any way you don't let it to.

You can copy Steam games to a disk?! I have never been able to figure out how to do this, as there don't seem to be any folders associated with any of my Steam games. Like Jenny, I have always considered Steam to be its own form of DRM and tend to only use it when there is no other option, as it seems to be the least restrictive form of DRM. However if there is a way to copy their games to a disk and install it to a new computer, that really would make some of their games DRM free.

Would you be able to explain how to do this? I would love to save some backup copies if there is a way. smile

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

I politely disagree. In this light every website selling DRM-free games is actually DRM, because they don't let anyone download the game. So you have to either set up an account, or they email you some generated link etc.

You completely misinterpreted what I said.

There is a HUGE difference between having to install a proprietary client to download versus being able to directly download from a link using your web browser. Every "update" of a client runs the risk of the new version failing to work with your computer -- and your losing access to any new installations and reinstallations of your games. And who wants to have to install a different client for every website they buy from?

Quote:
If you don't activate DRM on Steam (eg. Midnight Horror doesn't use any DRM) you can copy the game to a CD, uninstall Steam and play the game without ever running Steam client again

You said it wrong. It is not your choice whether to "activate DRM" or not. If the game has DRM, it will be there whether or not you activate your game. If a Steam game doesn't require activation, you won't have to activate it, but you will still require the Steam client to download.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 09:29 PM

I did a bit of research, and from what I've found out it looks as though while you can in fact back up your files, the games still need to be activated via Steam. So not really DRM free. frown

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 09:52 PM

venus, right click your game, select properties, go to tab Local Files and click on a button "Browse Local Files". Windows explorer opens and you can simply copy the contents of this folder to any place you want or burn it to CD. This will of course work only for non-DRM games (J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Midnight Horror, Vampires: Guide them to Safety, etc. wink ).

Jenny100, the real reality is that I've lost so much more games from now defunct (so called DRM free) sites than from Steam. And I am not talking about small amount of games here. But why is GoG Galaxy (when GOG is by some considered to be good guys and Steam the bad guys) or Desura (which declared bankrupcy not so long ago) any different? They have their own clients and I don't think GoG will keep the direct downloads much longer as soon as Galaxy really picks up. It's extremely impractical from provider's point of view as every single connection error on your side results in gigabytes of data transferred on their side.

It's your choice whether to activate DRM or not. If the game on Steam has DRM, it will be listed on Steam store page and you can choose not to download it from there. If it's not listed, it means that either developers use their own form of DRM and didn't write it there (meaning they are cheating you) or it's DRM free.

I also want to note, that Steam is serving binary differential files so when your connection goes down during the download, you don't have to redownload gigabytes of data. That's why I see how the service provided greatly outweight the more philosophical approach to the whole concept.

I fully understand the fact that you don't want to download client for each service you use. But my point stays - digital rights management is a process going beyond the mere download. It's what iTunes or Amazon Kindle is doing - forcefully preventing you from copying or using the product in other way then you are allowed by the client. In case of DRM free games on Steam, you can do whatever you want with them and no single software is preventing you from doing so. Whether it's illegal is an entirely different discussion. smile

And I am extremely biased towards Steam from another purely selfish reason. In our world today, small developers like me, have over 95% income from Steam. If we didn't, we won't be here anymore. Of course this won't affect Bethesda or Ubisoft. But Steam is the only service which pays you monthly and delivers timely proper reports. With all respects to other publishers and their contracts, having to wait 6 months to see the first cent from your game is not what we can afford. If Steam didn't kick in at the end of October 2014, there wouldn't be any new game from us and most probably you will see Midnight Horror much later. wink So yes - I don't want to speak badly about the only service on this planet which literally saved my behind. smile

And our own little outlets are now destroyed by VatMoss (for the reasons I stated before), which is now also slowly creeping to Australia and Japan as well, and it's just a question of time when it will be a worldwide phenomenon. Maybe when this agenda will be taken by payment processors (Paypal eg. - which again is considered to be evil by some), our store with direct links may return back!

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: venus
I did a bit of research, and from what I've found out it looks as though while you can in fact back up your files, the games still need to be activated via Steam. So not really DRM free. frown

It's nothing easier then try it yourself. smile When you get one of the games I mentioned in my last reply, copy the folder contents on USB flash drive and run it in another computer. You will see, that no activation was needed.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: venus

I don't know about Midnight Horror specifically, and I believe most Steam games will need to be activated through the client.

However I remember reading about a game advertised by Steam as "DRM-free" over at Adventuregamers. One AG member said he downloaded the game using the client, copied the files to another computer that wasn't connected to the Internet, installed the game, and it played fine. So that seems to be what Steam considers "DRM-free" and it's what I was referring to when I said "Steam likes to call some of their games "DRM-free" when the games don't require activation after downloading." It's a separate thing from "no 3rd party DRM."

However even the "DRM-free" Steam games will still need the Steam client installed on some computer to download the game in the first place.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 10:01 PM

Yup, you need Steam downloader to get the contents. The contents is then yours (in case of truly DRM free files). Similar service is provided by eMusic, where you have to use their downloader, but the resulting mp3's can be used any way you like. In case of eMusic however everyone praise the service and curses iTunes.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 10:47 PM

I use GOG a lot (have done for years) and I don't need to "do" anything other than ....

(1) Log-in.

(2) Download anything I might buy just using my normal browser (no "client" required - although an "optional" one has recently become available).

(3) If I so desire, I then burn the downloaded files to disk so as to make a back up copy before I actually install any of them.

Quick and simple. Exactly how I like it.

Plus, of equal importance, their customer support is both easy to access and top notch.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/01/15 11:04 PM

Can we please get back on track to using this thread for discussion of Midnight Horror. Thanks. hearts
Posted By: abby

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/02/15 12:19 AM

does this game have a walkthrough to help you out,if needed.thanks

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/02/15 12:36 AM

Thanks for the information metamorphium and Jenny. How do I copy the files? Right click the game in the Steam library and select Back Up Game Files? I don't see any folders for my Steam games stored on my computer, only the game saves.

Sorry for the thread derail, Ana. Back on topic, Midnight Horror is great so far. I love being back in Saxton with the familiar characters. Mr. Tibbs is a particular favorite. grin Looking forward to Blackenrock in a month or so. pumpkin

EDIT: Abby, there is no walkthrough that I know of so far, but there may be some help here if you're stuck - http://steamcommunity.com/app/291770/discussions/0/. Also, I'm sure there will be some videos up at some point.

EDIT 2: Okay, I tried it out, and it looks as though selecting Back Up Game Files is what I have to do. I should really try things out before asking. lol Thanks again for your help, metamorphium and Jenny.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/02/15 12:45 AM

abby,

Jonathan has a walkthrough out on all of his previous games. Let's wait for his announcement.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/02/15 02:25 AM

I just finished it. Loved it and can't wait for more. pumpkin

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/02/15 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Can we please get back on track to using this thread for discussion of Midnight Horror. Thanks. hearts

My apologies, BrownEyedTigre. I ought to know better !! rolleyes
Posted By: jimrh69

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/03/15 03:52 AM

I would like to jump in here. On the non DRM games from steam you can also use a program like Setup factory or something similar to create your own game installer smile I've used setup factory for a few Non DRM steam games and it works great! smile
Posted By: Solebra

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/04/15 01:02 PM

What aspect ratio and resolution is this game? It looks like 4:3 aspect ratio, but who owns a 4:3 monitor nowadays?

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/04/15 03:27 PM

welcome to GameBoomers Solebra.

Originally Posted By: Solebra
What aspect ratio and resolution is this game? It looks like 4:3 aspect ratio, but who owns a 4:3 monitor nowadays?

They did choose a different resolution for this game, it's because it is in HD. I have no trouble playing on either of my widescreen monitors, and most seem to be unaffected. Sorry that not everyone can enjoy it though. This was a quick project for them and a great surprise so I'm thankful for whatever they can do.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/04/15 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
Glad it's working now. thumbsup

Thank you for your help, metamorphium. wave

Unfortunately my laptop only has a resolution of 1600x900, so I was unable to play it. Then I remembered. I had a widescreen lcd monitor in my spare room that I havent used in a while. I plugged it in, but it still wouldnt play on this monitor either. So, I went in and changed the setting for the monitor from "cloned" to "extended". Works like a charm now and Im meeting all the old characters again. Great smile

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/04/15 06:05 PM

We'll go through a lot to get a game running properly, won't we, Count Zero? grin
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/04/15 11:29 PM

What a bizarre and ridiculous requirement! Really? Hard coding the screen height? I don't think I've ever seen that as a requirement for a game before and to be frank I hope I never see it again. Real schoolboy error stuff, and yes, I am a bit narked.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/05/15 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: mj2c
What a bizarre and ridiculous requirement!

What's more bizarre is that they assume watching widescreen movies is the only use of laptops and put such short, squinty screens on all of them. 16:9 is a miserable aspect ratio. Just try to find a 4:3 or 5:4 laptop for work.

Perhaps a lower resolution version of the game will eventually come available for laptops. The latest Carol Reed had both a high (1920x1080 or higher) and a low resolution version.
Posted By: cazziejoe

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/05/15 05:26 PM

I went to the Steam page for this and there's no BUY option or Add to Cart option at all?
caz

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/05/15 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: cazziejoe
I went to the Steam page for this and there's no BUY option or Add to Cart option at all?

Seems to have been temporary.
It's back up now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/291770
Posted By: robedits

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/06/15 12:37 AM

this was a shocker...I had no idea Jonathan was putting this game out. Wonderful surprise! Great game; fun thus far. I replayed TLC too many times to count waiting for the sequel.
Jonathan...if you're reading this: "THANK YOU!"
And...cant wait for Blackenrock!
Posted By: Solebra

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/06/15 04:10 AM

Thanks for the welcome Ana.

Well i'm a bit of a technical nerd, but this game looks quite good to me.
Looking forward to Blackenrock after this little taste.
Posted By: troi

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/13/15 01:36 AM

I never get stuff from Steam in my mailbox. My membership just sits there till I want to use it. I had misgivings at first but tried it when the Steam version of TLC came out for cheap and love it. I had to change download sites bc it is slow in Phoenix but other than that, no problems and no complaints. I am also basically an old school crank, by way of my credentials for comments on this.
-------------
Originally Posted By: abby
does this game have a walkthrough to help you out,if needed.thanks

http://www.darklingroom.co.uk/thelastcrown/MidnightHorrorWalkthrough.pdf
------------------
Someone mentioned at least one update to the game directly applied with Steam and someone noted that there had been on reported glitch fixed. Have the been any others? I played the game over several days and seemed to notice small differences here and there.
-----------------
I have played this game twice and still miss a non-essential section, as follows:

Click to reveal..
When Nigel looks into the men's room after finding drugs, he is supposed to not be able to hear the druggies. The walkthrough says he needs to go to the balcony and listen through a window and then go back to roust them. I get rid of them without listening at the window and do not know where the balcony is. Is it the landing in back of the Bear or is it in front or some place I am missing altogether?

TIA

troi

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/13/15 04:31 AM

troi,
Click to reveal..
it's the landing behind the Bear

Ana wave
Posted By: gamenut

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/13/15 04:10 PM

Wish they'd made it available on/from GOG. not a fan of Steam.
Posted By: zookeeper

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/15/15 06:03 PM

I can't get the game to play in full screen. Does anyone know how to change this?

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/15/15 06:16 PM

Zookeeper, according to page 2 of this thread, the monitor height needs to be a minimum of 960 - try changing your desktop resolution.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/15/15 06:22 PM

Marian, my resolution is set at 1920 x 1080. Shouldn't that do it???

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/15/15 06:31 PM

I don't know why that doesn't work for you. Ana said that 1680x1050 worked perfectly for her - maybe try that?

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/15/15 06:46 PM

Ok, I got it. I had to uncheck "maintain aspect ratio" . Thanks for your help, though!
Posted By: GBC

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/16/15 12:44 AM

enjoying the game. No trouble at all installing or playing, rah
Posted By: troi

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/16/15 07:15 AM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
troi,
Click to reveal..
it's the landing behind the Bear

Ana wave

Ana, thanks. I went to there but no luck with the task. Maybe my timing was off. not a great loss but I feel incomplete, lol.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/16/15 04:31 PM

I am going to bet that the timing in which you visited there triggered it to advance. It wasn't anything earth shattering that happens, you just hear them speak automatically. We can't have you feeling incomplete. lol

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/19/15 03:38 AM

wonder what ever happened to time of tooth and claw. Dianne smile

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/19/15 04:00 AM

Still coming.

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/20/15 01:25 AM

Oh sorry about the silly question. dianne

Re: Announcing Midnight Horror, the Prologue to The Last Crown: Blackenrock - 11/20/15 04:50 AM

Not a silly question, but I promise as soon as a date is known, I will post it. In the meantime, it is still coming.

Ana wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community