GB HOMEPAGE

Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :)

Posted By: Tracy

Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/19/16 11:24 PM

Hi everyone. I bought Layers of Fear on Steam today and began to play. It looks fantastic, but before I got too far I realized that I didn't see a way to save the game. Do you guys know if there is a manual for the game and/or how to save?

Thanks so much! smile
Tracy
Posted By: Marian

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/19/16 11:30 PM

I haven't played the game so don't know if there is a manual. A review of the game was just posted in our forum reviews, though, and the reviewer said that the game has save checkpoints - so you can't save at will. The poster thought it was a really good game. wave

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/20/16 12:09 AM

Thanks Marian! smile
Posted By: Pokey

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/20/16 05:02 PM

If there is a manual available, it will show up on the right side of the library page in Steam when the game is highlighted. If there isn't one, you can often get information on the game such as key assignments from walkthroughs.
Posted By: cazziejoe

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/22/16 05:19 PM

Yes does anyone know how to save it?
Played 2 hours and restarted and back at the beginning!
Thanks, caz

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/22/16 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: cazziejoe
Yes does anyone know how to save it?
Played 2 hours and restarted and back at the beginning!
Thanks, caz

From my post above:

Quote:
A review of the game was just posted in our forum reviews, though, and the reviewer said that the game has save checkpoints - so you can't save at will.

It sounds like you hadn't reached the first save checkpoint, and that was why your game started back at the beginning.

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/22/16 05:44 PM

Thanks but how do you know you've reached it?
I played for 2 hours...

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/22/16 05:48 PM

Another player will have to tell you that - hopefully the game notifies you in some way when you have reached a save checkpoint.

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/22/16 06:41 PM

Usually there is an icon that appears when saving. Steam forum on saving in the game....

https://steamcommunity.com/app/391720/discussions/0/520518053440154272/

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/22/16 06:47 PM

Wow how incredibly annoying.
Really bad design.
I'm still not sure after reading that.
Exiting with ESC doesn't do it.
Thanks, caz

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/22/16 06:54 PM

You have to reach the Painter's Room before you can save and you will find yourself in that room when you reload, all progress saved, but you need to walk to the location where you saved last. I don't have the game, so haven't tried that.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/23/16 01:20 AM

oops Maybe I'll regret buying this one ....

Saving sounds too much like the system used in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - and I hated it in that game frown

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/23/16 01:49 AM

Hey everyone. I'm playing this now and I LOVE it. You DO have to go to the painting room and click on the easel to save, but it does work. When I logged out and then back into the game, I was right there w/ all my progress saved. The tricky thing is that as you play, the house changes, and so it's not easy to find the painting room sometimes. But, you can get back there eventually if you pay attention to the rooms/hallway you're in and make sure to get all of the stuff done in that area. You'll often get a key to a locked door, then you can go through it, and soon end up in the painter's room. It is a pain, but the game is SO beautiful and fun and has scared the heck out of me already, so it's worth it! smile

Tracy

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/23/16 01:57 AM

Thanks, Tracy! I'm glad you are enjoying the game. smile

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/23/16 02:01 AM

Thanks, Tracy, I've made a note of what you say thumbsup

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/23/16 03:04 AM

You're welcome, guys! smile Hope you all enjoy it too!

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/23/16 05:32 PM

Tracy, have you tried saving in other rooms by hitting escape? Seems like that would eliminate having to find the painting room and you would only need to walk back to where you saved.

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/23/16 10:17 PM

No you definitely have to reach the painting for the game to save.
If you leave and reload it takes you back to the painting.
But it's very linear and it only requires about 15 minutes of play each session.
Thanks

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/24/16 01:02 AM

Hey Pokey. I did try to save that way, but it doesn't have a save option so I believe you can only save using the painter's easel. smile

Tracy
Posted By: robedits

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/24/16 01:13 AM

NO manual with the game I purchased at GOG. you cannot save manually, as I mentioned in my "mini gameboomer review". The game auto saves FOr you once you reach certain checkpoints. As far as autosave/checkpoints go (mostly, I detest them...I've seen indi devs put "save anywhere" options in their games...and I've seen high-dollar console ports NOT have saved game options)...Layers of Fear's autosaves were fairly easy to come by...one has to simply play through an area to get to them. ANd,as noted above, once you get a new layer of your "painting" revealed in the easel-room, the game always autosaves there and you can move on.
One drawback to LOF's autosaves is that you don't KNOW where the game is being autosaved, as far as I can tell, although as I saw it the game did autosave at your latest (most recent) checkpoint if you closed the game.
Some of the platform jumpers I used to play back in the day had these checkpoints systems and...let's just say I HATE them. I wish every game dev could program in infinite saved game slots. I'm not sure why every game cant have them...but then I don't make games, I just play them.
ANyway...the lack of the ability to manually save a game in LOF did not bother me as much as I thought it would.
It's still an absolutely brilliant designed game, diabolically creepy to the extreme. I hope these guys make another game..SOON.
Rob

Re: Layers of Fear Manual/Info? :) - 02/24/16 06:41 AM

"It's still an absolutely brilliant designed game, diabolically creepy to the extreme. I hope these guys make another game..SOON."

But with a manual save system, eh ?? wink
© 2024 GameBoomers Community