GB HOMEPAGE

Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/11/16 03:03 PM

From Simon Mesnard, the Developers of A.S.A A Space Adventure.

Check out the launch trailer here.

You can purchase here on Steam.

Check out the Making of Video here.

Quote:
Description

Catyph: The Kunci Experiment is a 1st person Sci-Fi adventure game. Discover the world and mechanisms of Tytaah, a moon of planet Catyph divided into 6 varied regions. Try to discover what the Kunci is, and who created it. "In 2062, Men from Terra have access to a new technology - the Blue Matter - developed from a mysterious Black Cube they found 5 years before (note: this refers directly to the events of ASA, in 2057, but the 2 games can be played separately). With this new power, Terrans decide to explore for the first time their solar system, in search for signs of intelligent life. They send YOU at the discovery of planet Catyph and its moons. After a series of strange events, you finally land on Tytaah." Exploration and discovery are the keywords of this adventure, and are necessary to understand and solve the challenging puzzles. The gameplay reminds what you can find in most 1st person adventure games such as Myst or Rhem. Catyph and ASA are both part of the Black Cube series (http://www.theblackcube.fr).
History

Catyph: The Kunci Experiment was self-funded and developed by a single person (except for music and a few other things) with the Visionaire Studio engine, After Effects and 3dsmax. "I took the decision to start this project in 2014 when I discovered that several people were asking for a sequel to ASA. Even though Catyph is not a direct sequel, it will try to correct the mistakes of my first game, and will show (I hope) an evolution in my work". In March 2015, the release of ASA: A Space Adventure - Remastered Edition (first game developed with Visionaire Studio by Simon Says: Play!) confirmed that Catyph has intrigued many players in the world. For more details about the development of Catyph, please read the Making Of (through one of the links below).
Features

Discover a new story in the Black Cube series
Visit new and varied areas with more realistic graphics and video transitions
Developed with Visionaire Studio (Deponia), allowing HD graphics and more flexibility
Different difficulty levels
And of course, all new challenging puzzles!
Over 10 hours of gameplay
An Original Soundtrack by Karreo

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/11/16 03:05 PM

Greyfuss, while trying to combine your two Catyph threads so I can place the official announcement, I accidentally deleted them. eek My apologies. We will try and restore them.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/11/16 03:14 PM

Thanks for the news, Ana. smile
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/11/16 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Greyfuss, while trying to combine your two Catyph threads so I can place the official announcement, I accidentally deleted them. eek My apologies. We will try and restore them.

No need to apologize, I much prefer it this way with the Official release thread Sheriff. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew.

It should also be noted that a DVD version of Catyph can be purchased from the Developer HERE How many newly released games have that now-a-days? Also there is supposed to be a Humble Store release soon.
Posted By: wisnoskij

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/11/16 04:09 PM

I enjoyed the first one so much. I actually think it might be the best puzzle-adventure of all time (by which I mean RHEM-like: minimal plot, minimal graphics, everything focusing on the multi-layered extremely difficult puzzles). I have been eagerly anticipating this release and plan on buying it. The first one had a rocky start, and was arguably moderately broken before the remastered release. So the (previously first time developer) has obviously learned a lot, and there is every reason to be optimistic with this latest release.

A few moths ago he was in some Myst-Jam and released a short game in the same style and universe as both ASA and its new sequel Catyph. If anyone is unsure about his style, and want to give it a go for free, or are sure and want more of it, give MYHA a try (http://www.theblackcube.fr/myha.html).

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/11/16 04:21 PM

Its should be noted that Catyph is not a direct sequel to ASA: A Space Adventure and doesn’t require you to play ASA first
Posted By: Mad

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/11/16 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info !! grin
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/12/16 02:11 AM

thanks for the links Ana
Posted By: Cookie

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/12/16 08:00 AM

I loved ASA so I've immediately purchased Catyph!!
After few minutes gaming, I can assure you that it sounds quite interesting!

GreyFuss is right in saying that Catyph is not a sequel, and the author himself has confirmed it. You can just find some mentions to the events occurred in ASA but they do not play a decisive role.
Posted By: Vairon

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/12/16 08:57 AM

Great news!! yay

One of the most anticipated indie game inspired in the Myst universe!
Posted By: Simon

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/12/16 03:09 PM

Thank you Ana for the announcement! If anyone here has any question about the game, you can ask me here and I'll do my best to help! (oh I'm the developer, in case you didn't know)

Thanks for the kind words wisnoskij! I hope you'll enjoy Catyph too. It is a bit different of ASA, more "exotic" maybe (I can't find the word, but you'll see). I didn't want to do the exact same game after all! ahah. But it's still a vast world with logical challenging puzzles. I think it's still close to Myst and Rhem in the good way (for people who like the genre).

And Hi Cookie, Vairon and Greyfuss smile
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/14/16 03:09 AM

Thanks for the links!

Good luck with the game Simon! I especially liked your "Making of" page. It should interest everyone even remotely interested in game making.
Posted By: boidsonly

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/18/16 01:47 AM

It's not often we see retail copies of games for sale. Available on Steam, Humble Bundle or at the link below.

https://www.trepstar.com/purchase.asp?idprod=195680&mode=itemlist

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/18/16 02:54 AM

Thanks boidsonly, Greyfuss mentioned it earlier in this thread. I merged the posts.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/23/16 05:57 PM

NP, thanks and apologies for the redundancy.
Ordered and received my DVD copies of ASA Remastered and Catyph.
Thanks Simon.
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/24/16 05:10 AM

Do those DVDs require Steam?

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/24/16 03:17 PM

Hopefully boidsonly will answer Uncle Reg.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/25/16 01:21 PM

I have not opened them yet but nowhere on the outside of either DVD case does the word Steam appear. Just to be safe, I sent an email to the developer inquiring about Steam or any other form of DRM for the 2 DVD games. I'll post back when I hear from him.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/25/16 03:43 PM

It is usually listed under the requirements. Does it say internet connection required?

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/27/16 04:42 PM

Oddly enough, there are no requirements listed on the outside of either game's case. But, here is Simon's response re: DRM/Steam:

"Yes I confirm that you can open and use the DVDs to play without Steam! Just insert the disks in your pc, run the exe file (or copy/paste all the files on a hard drive if you prefer), and that’s all. No installation required, no Steam and no other software Clignement d'œil;)"

There you are. Good news.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/28/16 12:46 AM

Where can I buy a DRM Free "download" of this game ??

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/28/16 01:07 AM

Directly from Simon, the developer HERE Mad

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/28/16 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: GreyFuss
Directly from Simon, the developer HERE Mad

That link appears to be for the DVD vrsion, not the download.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/28/16 01:54 AM

That's where I had looked, GreyFuss, but it appeared to be the site at which to buy a disk version.

Still, I have bought the game now. I just don't know if I've bought a disk or a download !! lol

EDIT :

Well I've got my order confirmation now and I've bought a disk !!
[I don't mind that at all - however I still don't know how I could have bought a download and not a disk whistle]

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/28/16 02:30 AM

Sorry Mad

I assumed that because you always like your games on disk I thought that is what you wanted. I don't think you can get a digital download DRM free as even the Humble Bundle Stores version comes with a Steam Key

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/28/16 02:53 AM

Oh, it's fine, GreyFuss. I always prefer a disk when I can get one thumbsup

I was obviously mistaken in thinking there was a DRM Free digital version available.
But then, nothing I do/think these days surprises me. I've reached "that age" !! rotfl
Posted By: frazap

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 05/30/16 09:56 AM

The cheapest shipping option for the DVD from (I guess) France to Sweden is almost as much as the game itself. Pity there's no option to purchase this game DRM-free through digital download. Can only find it on Steam and Humble store (Steam key only). Until that changes, I will not buy this one.
Posted By: stevefox

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/16/16 11:51 PM

Catyph: The Kunci Experiment

Catyph Full DRM-Free and Catyph Update 1, downloadable from itch.io
($14.99 USD or more, also there is a PayPal option)

Already have this game, a clickable "Download Update 1" link is here on this page.

https://the-icehouse.itch.io/catyph-the-kunci-experiment

A text walkthrough is available here.:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/396870/discussions/0/350533172683734130/
Posted By: MaG

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/17/16 01:01 AM

Thanks stevefox.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/17/16 02:22 AM

Hi stevefox ....

I bought the disk version for the game - which has arrived safely smile

Do I need to download the update for that ??

Thanks.

Mad grin

P.S. Thanks for the walkthrough link yes
Posted By: stevefox

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/17/16 06:24 AM

Manual updates (for non-Steam users):

http://www.theicehouse.fr/games-digital---catyph-the-kunci-experiment.html

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/17/16 04:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm glad you finally found exactly what you were looking for. My apologies for not coming here earlier: my internet has been broken for a month after a storm, and it happened only 2 days after the release of Catyph. I'm back online now, since 1 week, and I have had a lot of things to do (late things I mean)!

It would seem that I am more available now, so if you need help, please let me know!

Here's a summary of the versions:
- usual version of the game available on Steam and Humble (DRM free) - PS: the Humble purchase delivers a Steam key.
- self-published DVD (DRM Free, no internet/Steam required)
- other DRM free digital version: itch.io (DRM free, downloadable, a little less expensive)

All the links can be found here through the buttons at the bottom of the page:
http://www.theicehouse.fr/games-digital---catyph-the-kunci-experiment.html

Regarding the first update:
- it should be downloaded automatically for Steam users (however please check the note in the discussions /community hub)
- it is available for other users (including the DVD) on the Catyph site, or itch.io
This update is not absolutely necessary but recommended.

The full walkthrough is also available on the Steam community hub in the discussions, here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/396870/discussions/

I hope you like the game. It's certainly not perfect but I did my best. Good luck during this challenging journey!

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/17/16 04:24 PM

Thanks, Simon! You must have gone through internet withdrawal!

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/17/16 05:59 PM

Yes the internet was fixed, at last. Thank you Ana! It was terrible to release the game only 2 days before the breakdown, and then not being able to support anyone online :S

It would seem that 2 reviews are now available for those who want to learn more about Catyph.
There's a negative review and a positive one, so you have the choice. Everyone will make his own opinion about the game (even if I have my preference!)

The negative review (C grade) is on Just Adventure. They obviously didn't like at all the gameplay and dialogues, and (many) other things.
http://justadventure.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3443

The positive review (4/5) is on Adventure Gamers (all new!). I think they understood well what I tried to do in the game, and that was a true relief for me.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/30652

Do you know if a review is planned here on GameBoomers? I know it's a lot of work to review such a long game such as Catyph, so don't feel compelled (I'm just asking out of curiosity, but I would love to read a 3rd opinion).

As always it's a matter of tastes and feelings, so it all depends on the puzzles and worlds that you expect in adventure games. It is more likely that if you liked ASA you will like Catyph, but I have added some changes that might not please everyone, while they could be enjoyed by others. It really is a different game!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/17/16 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Simon
Do you know if a review is planned here on GameBoomers?

I think flotsam was going to review Catyph (he previously reviewed ASA).
But my computer went bad (we think it's the motherboard) and I lost some recent emails so I can't look up where a review code might have been sent.

EDIT -- I just checked the Board Room and flotsam may not be reviewing Catyph after all but will see.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/17/16 07:21 PM

Jenny, I sent you the review key in May. If you need it sent again, I will send it.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/17/16 08:16 PM

Thank you, stevefox and Simon !!

Looking forward very much to playing the game - even though it won't be just yet happydance

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/17/16 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Jenny, I sent you the review key in May. If you need it sent again, I will send it.

I think flotsam has already used that key.
If I end up reviewing, I'll buy the hard copy, but I don't have time to play or review right now.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/18/16 02:19 PM

Thanks Jenny, Ana and Mad.
Jenny, no problem, there is no need to review Catyph quickly, so of course take your time.
Please, I ask it to everyone: play the game when you *want* to play it. It is probably not the kind of game that you should play if you don't feel ready smile

If you need another review key for GameBoomers, it is very easy for me to provide it (even a downloadable copy for non-Steam reviewers), so feel free to ask (PM or email if you prefer).
In the US I can even consider offering a physical copy to a reviewer (because shipping is a lot less expensive in the US than in the rest of the world), even though I never did this before. But I see Jenny that you're located in southeast USA, so why not?

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/18/16 04:10 PM

Thank you Simon. I'll let you know. Very kind of you!

btw, is your DRM-free still the Steam DRM-free version or is completely off Steam?

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/18/16 09:10 PM

All versions are DRM free! smile

- on Steam: DRM free, but you need a Steam account at least once to download the game the first time (then you don't need Steam anymore and you can play without internet and without going through the Steam software)

- DVD version: DRM free, off Steam, no internet needed

- itch.io version: same as the DVD version, DRM free, off Steam, no internet needed, direct download

On itch.io, it is possible to purchase your games without creating an account. Note that if in a few years you want to retrieve your purchase again, it is possible even without an account, just by submitting the email address that was linked to the game when you purchased it. It is explained here:
https://itch.io/docs/buying/already-bought

The only advantage of Steam here is that each new update is automatically applied when you connect to Steam. For the DVD or direct download on itch.io, you need to download the patch and install it manually.

I hope it helps!

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/18/16 09:16 PM

Thank you Simon! I happen to love Steam, but others don't. Great info!

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/18/16 10:50 PM

I very seldom use Steam but I don't mind applying patches manually .... As long as I get notification of them laugh

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/19/16 05:27 PM

I have nothing against Steam either Ana smile I think that this platform is a chance for developers, and a huge chance for small indie developers like me!
However I like to provide an alternative way, and itch.io looks nice.
Steam is not always easy of use for foreign people who don't speak English well (but it has improved a lot), or for people who have never used it before. It is often that someone says me: oh thanks for the Steam key, but how am I supposed to activate it?
Plus I understand that some people don't like the proprietary system with the DRM.

Ah Mad, you're right. But sometimes I don't know how to reach people when i have a patch. Even by making it available on Steam or the game homepage, there's still a chance that many people will not see it.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/19/16 05:37 PM

I think you would be allowed to tell us about any patches by posting here at Gameboomers, Simon ??

But MaG or one of the Moderators will surely speak up if I am wrong yes

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/19/16 06:04 PM

Oh yes, Mad and Simon. News about patches are great for the gamers. Anything that will get the gamers enjoy the game.
You can also post at Glitches forum if there are other tech help you think will help.

wave Mad.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/19/16 09:34 PM

Thank you, MaG happydance

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/19/16 09:36 PM

Oh yes, I didn't talk about the patch, because stevefox posted about it before. But you're right wink
It is available from the homepage of the game (update 1 button):
http://www.theblackcube.fr/catyph

I will also try to talk about it in the good part of the forum.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/20/16 12:24 AM

Thanks Simon.

The updates are posted at Glitches forum here.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/20/16 06:05 PM

- itch.io version: same as the DVD version, DRM free, off Steam, no internet needed, direct download

Is there any chance of your offering the game DRM-free/client-free from Humble?
I notice you offer Catyph on Humble, but only with Steam.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/catyph-the-kunci-experiment

itch.io may be fine, but I've never heard of them before and I already have a Humble account.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/20/16 07:16 PM

I bought it on itch.io, and I didn't have to set up an account. Worked fine. The download speed was slow as molasses though.

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/21/16 02:50 PM

itch.io is starting to get popular these days and you probably won't make a big mistake if you get the game there wink It is exactly like buying it on Paypal directly from me.

Regarding Humble, I don't plan to add the game there for the moment, my dev account seems to be limited. Maybe later? It's just not the good moment, my days have been quite busy lately, and I prefer to focus on supporting everyone. I hope you understand!

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 06/23/16 11:00 AM

If you like the music of Catyph, the original soundtrack is available for download (free or pay what you want) here:
http://karreo.bandcamp.com/album/catyph-original-game-soundtrack

One of my favorite tracks is number 7 (Saad), but it's a matter of tastes. I think they're all interesting smile
Please support the work of Karreo and share! Thank you!

Re: Announcing Catyph - The Kunci Experiment - A Sci-Fi Adventure - 07/25/16 10:36 PM

Hello everyone,

Regarding the first update:
- it should be downloaded automatically for Steam users (however please check the note in the discussions /community hub)
- it is available for other users (including the DVD) on the Catyph site, or itch.io
This update is not absolutely necessary but recommended.

I noticed you say the "first" update.

I have downloaded that one. Are there likely to be more then ??
© 2024 GameBoomers Community