GB HOMEPAGE

Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/10/16 12:04 AM

The Final chapter will be released June 17th.

Watch the trailer here.

Ana wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/10/16 01:30 AM

Thanks Ana.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/10/16 01:57 AM

Nice to have a firm release date - and not much longer to wait. wave
Posted By: oldman

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/10/16 05:03 AM

Finally Mad and I can start with Book 1. happydance lol crazy
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/10/16 10:42 AM

Thanks Ana.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/10/16 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: oldman

Yeah !!!! yay

And thanks for the info, BrownEyedTigre thumbsup
Posted By: UruKat

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/10/16 04:21 PM

YAY!!!! I'm so excited! Great news!
bravo rah joy joy2 yay dance broccoli devilchili woot
Posted By: Melia

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/10/16 10:23 PM

Me too.
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/11/16 04:51 AM

I've been waiting too. Haven't started it yet either.
Posted By: venus

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/11/16 02:35 PM

Thanks, Ana! I got the Kickstarter update for this as well. This is such a beautiful and incredible game, and it's up there in the second position after TLJ for me. praise I'm so excited to see the ending, but I'll also miss the anticipation once it's finished. Looking forward to the (maybe, but hopefully not) conclusion of my favorite game series of all time. happydance rah bravo
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/12/16 01:35 AM

The trailer looked great Ana. thumbsup
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/12/16 06:34 AM

Good news!
Time to start again from scratch
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/12/16 05:17 PM

I still want to replay The Longest Journey and Dreamfall before I play Chapters. Who knows when I'll ever get to it. woozy
Posted By: rmt

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/14/16 05:22 PM

I did not intend to wait until all chapters were out to start book 1, but psychologically I had a block, and I too will now play the entire game for the first time.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/16/16 02:12 PM

I may be too late in mentioning this, but for those starting from the beginning, you may want to wait until the full game is out. Red Thread is updating Book 1, and there are entirely new scenes based on some screenshots they've posted. thumbsup It looks like most are waiting for the full release anyway, but I thought I would mention it just in case. smile

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/16/16 02:33 PM

That's good to know, venus - thanks! wave

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/16/16 03:52 PM

You're welcome, Marian. Hopefully it helps. smile

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/16/16 04:17 PM

Thanks Venus!

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/16/16 07:18 PM

Well tomorrow is the day. I have the GOG version so I've read on there boards that the release will be around 7PM.

So starting from scratch at GOG I'm wondering if the main download will include all the patches with all the "books" included or if I will have to download each patch separately. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/16/16 09:12 PM

I have no idea old man. I'm assuming each of the previous releases are "Full games" up to the current release so you only have to install the newest one. I'm expecting I don't have to install each chapter. Is that how it works just install the most recent chapter?

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/17/16 02:31 AM

I haven't downloaded ANY of the chapters because of waiting for the complete game - so for me a HUGE downloading task to come !! scared

EDIT :

I visited my account at GOG today and found four parts to download although I was expecting five.

Should there be five ??

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 08:18 AM

I just downloaded the game and have to assume that all five books are downloaded because the game doesn't tell me. Anyway Mad if you download manually then there are 4 parts to download. I used the GOG downloader (not Galaxy) and downloaded the windows installer and it installed the 4 parts you mentioned.

For peace of mind I wish there were a way to know that all 5 books were downloaded but I guess I'll find out when I get that far into the game.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 03:35 PM

Okay, I have to revise my opinion of Book 1 a bit. It looks like the new version has a lot of cut content, which I don't like. sad It's a shame, I hope they add the original back in as well and give players a choice as to which they want to play. Luckily, I have several of my earlier GOG versions saved, so I can access the Book 1 in its original incarnations.

On a much more positive note, however, Book 5 was outstanding. praise Anyone who was worried about important questions not being answered can rest assured that everything is wrapped up beautifully. There are a few minor loose ends, but all of the important questions are answered. I think those who waited had the right idea, as this will flow much better as one full game. Not that I regret playing each installment as it was released in the slightest. smile

I can now say for certain that Dreamfall Chapters is tied with the original TLJ as one of my two favorite games, which is the highest compliment I can give it. Point and click purists may disagree as it's not as puzzle heavy (though there are definitely puzzles), and the characters are controlled via direct control. (Personally, this has grown on me, since I can develop back pains when I use the mouse too much. I actually have a slight preference for this control method now.) The story and essence, however, are much more on par with the original than with Dreamfall. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the characters are generally more in depth, and Ragnar Tournquist has only improved as a writer with time.

I do hope that even if The Longest Journey Home is never made, he continues making adventure games at some point. (I see another genre is on the horizon first.) As far as I'm concerned, there will never be another series like this one. praise
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: venus
Okay, I have to revise my opinion of Book 1 a bit. It looks like the new version has a lot of cut content, which I don't like.

What was cut?
Do you think it was cut because they had trouble porting the content to the new game engine? -- that some things didn't transfer?

Or do you think it was cut due to a desire to "tighten it up?"

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 03:57 PM

I think it was the latter. The problem I have with that is a lot of interesting story content was just cut out. Also, there was some gameplay removed in the Storytime section. There were two extra dreamers to help in the beginning, and now there's only one sequence to actually play after waving aside some other dreamers. (I'm trying to be a bit vague here, but Zoë is actually still helping. It's just the player is not nearly as involved, and some really great content is now gone.) Also, even in the sequence where you do actively help, some dialogue and puzzles were cut.

Now, I haven't gotten very far into the new Book 1 yet, so I don't know if anything was added to make up for (or at least balance) the losses. I'll let everyone know if that's the case later. For now, I still prefer the original Book 1 and will probably play that version during replays.

If anyone is interested and hasn't seen it, I recommend at least searching on YouTube. It's not the same, but at least you could see what was left out. There are probably some videos without commentary available.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 03:57 PM

Thank you for your thoughts on Book 5 and on the game, venus. You have really piqued my interest in it now. wave

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 03:59 PM

You're welcome, Marian. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to play. wave Have you played any of the previous episodes yet?

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 04:22 PM

I am always confused when a new download is ready for this game. I've been a part of this game since since the kickstarter and have the Season Pass. I've played all the episodes so far except the new part 5 released yesterday.
The new download does not show up on GOG for me....only Part 4. This happens to me every time a new part is released.
For some reason, I have the game on Steam and also on GoG.....not sure why that happened. Is it this way for everyone? I can't even remember if I played it on GoG or on Steam. I went to Steam this morning and this is what it it says:

"Just a brief update on today's launch of Book Five:

The final version has been uploaded to Steam (yay!) and the testers will have to do one final run-through of the episode to check that nothing has gone wrong in the build-and-upload process. This usually doesn't take too long, so we hope to have the Windows PC version live within a couple of hours.

Mac and Linux will follow shortly after.

When it comes to German and French subtitles, the localisation teams are still working on these, but they will be patched as soon as they're ready — hopefully next week. We'll keep you updated.

As soon as the final episode has been successfully tested, we will post another update with the change notes.

In the meantime, here's the Book Five launch trailer — but beware potential spoilers! If you're planning to play REDUX today anyway, you may want to hold off on watching it until you're done. (We won't blame you if you watch it, though: it's a great trailer!)"

I hate to sound ignorant, but I have no idea what this means. Where do I dl the new content?? Why is it not showing up on GoG for me??
Can everyone please tell me how they are finding the new content to download??

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: venus
I think it was the latter. The problem I have with that is a lot of interesting story content was just cut out. Also, there was some gameplay removed in the Storytime section. There were two extra dreamers to help in the beginning, and now there's only one sequence to actually play after waving aside some other dreamers. (I'm trying to be a bit vague here, but Zoë is actually still helping. It's just the player is not nearly as involved, and some really great content is now gone.) Also, even in the sequence where you do actively help, some dialogue and puzzles were cut.

Thanks, Venus.
I hope they add the content back too.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 04:27 PM

Venus, I've played The Longest Journey but not Dreamfall or Dreamfall Chapters. It's time for me to replay The Longest Journey and take it from there. hamster

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: UruKat
For some reason, I have the game on Steam and also on GoG.....not sure why that happened. Is it this way for everyone? I can't even remember if I played it on GoG or on Steam.

If you donated, they gave you Steam by default and if you wanted DRM-free they gave you Humble. I can only guess that you bought the GOG version at some point. I believe I bought the GOG version during one of their super-cheap sales when it was 75% or 80% off because at the time I was trying to have all my games available from one place.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

EDIT -- It took a while for my memory to kick in, but now I remember requesting a GOG key and being dissatisfied at receiving a key for the non-"Special Edition" version at GOG instead of the "Special Edition." I did receive the "Special Edition" at Humble (and now Humble would be my preference, since I don't like the insertion of the "Galaxy hooks" that GOG has now).

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Quote:
"The final version has been uploaded to Steam (yay!) and the testers will have to do one final run-through of the episode to check that nothing has gone wrong in the build-and-upload process. This usually doesn't take too long, so we hope to have the Windows PC version live within a couple of hours... "

I hate to sound ignorant, but I have no idea what this means. Where do I dl the new content?? Why is it not showing up on GoG for me??

It means Steam will make it available once they've finished testing that the upload was successful. GOG will probably do something similar, and it's possible their download won't be ready as quickly as Steam's.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 10:54 PM

So the four parts available at GOG definitely don't include the final chapter ??

I've had another look and there are still only four parts showing in my Libabry there yes

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 11:10 PM

Looks like part 5 is still not on Steam or GoG. Anyone have it yet?

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
So the four parts available at GOG definitely don't include the final chapter ??

Probably not yet, but check the GOG forum.
https://www.gog.com/forum/the_longest_journeydreamfall_series/changelog

They said it had been added but someone downloaded it and said Book 5 wasn't there.

https://www.gog.com/forum/the_longest_jo...s_save_with_501

One person says it's only offered through Galaxy at the moment.
Other people say they can't access Book 5 without starting over.

Another person quotes Ragnar Tornquist
Originally Posted By: jus69
Samurant: Hi folks! My name is Ragnar and I work at Red Thread Games. We just found out about this truly annoying bug, and here's what's going on:

There is an issue loading some old save games (prior to version 5.0) with the new version of the game. You should have no trouble starting Book Five if you've already played through the first four — but old saves are currently not working.

(You can also start fresh on any of the books you've previously finished or gotten to; it's only loading save games (we hope!) that's affected.)

Luckily, we have a fix and we should be able to make a patch within a couple of hours. For those of you already playing Book Five, your new saves will work, so you can keep playing. For everyone else, the patch should fix the issue.

If you're currently playing earlier episodes (and happen to see this message) don't update to the Book Five version yet. We'll let you know when it's safe to proceed.

Unfortunately, we are unable to patch GOG builds ourselves — we need help from the tech guys at GOG to do so — and though we'll try our best to get hold of them, it might take some time before they can push a patch out.

Sorry about this, but we're on it and your old saves have not been lost or corrupted! If you choose 'Start Book Five' (or four, three, two, one) instead of choosing 'Continue' or loading a save game, you should be able to play without any trouble — if not, please let me know!

Again, super-super sorry about this. I don't know how we missed this bug, and though it's easy to fix, it's frustrating for everyone... especially if you have to wait for a patch to be available. We feel your pain and we'll work through the night to get this sorted!

So better to wait until you're sure the bug is fixed and the download updated.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 11:20 PM

Apparently venus played it as she said above "Book 5 was outstanding".

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/18/16 11:26 PM

This is from STEAM.......

Quote:
Before you download and play Book Five, read this!
UPDATE: Solved! (Hopefully.) There's a new patch out, updating the game from 5.0.2 to 5.0.3 — save games should now work again. Please let us know if you're still having problems.

There is a known issue loading (some?) old save games (prior to version 5.0.2) with the new version of the game. You should have no trouble starting Book Five if you've already played through the first four — but old saves are currently not working.

Luckily, we have a fix and we should be able to patch within a couple of hours. For those of you already playing Book Five, your new saves will work, so you can just keep playing. For everyone else, the upcoming patch should fix the issue.

If you're currently playing earlier episodes (and happen to see this message) do not update to the Book Five version yet. We'll let you know when it's safe to proceed!

Sorry about this, but we're on it and your old saves have not been lost or corrupted.
Last edited by Red Thread Games; 23 hours ago

How was she able to play it already?

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/19/16 06:05 AM

You're welcome, Jenny. I've already seen some complaints about the cut content on the Steam forums, so maybe they will listen. I assume listening to feedback was what made them change things in the first place, but I liked it better the way it was.

Marian, it sounds like you have a lot of fun ahead of you. woot

UruKat, I know I requested a GOG copy from Red Thread Games, and they gave me one. Backers had an option to do so when Book 1 came out. Is it possible you requested one, and just forgot about it? Since I got to keep the Steam copy as well, I've been using that to play for convenience, plus storing the multiple versions (original Book 1 version with shadowy silhouettes and talking trash cans, original Unity 4 version of Books 1-3 and the Unity 5 version of Books 1-4 with no Book 1 cuts) from GOG on my hard drive. I plan to transfer them all to a USB stick shortly, so I can have access to all of them at any given time.

I'm not sure about Book 5 on GOG now, since the last version I downloaded only included Books 1-4. Have you tried using the GOG installer? I see Book 5 has been added to the changelog. Also, your Steam copy should have definitely updated itself. Have you tried opening your game and seeing if you can continue? If you are unable to do so, you may have to log out of Steam and then log back in to trigger the download.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/19/16 03:18 PM

Venus!.....Yes, now that you mention it, that's what happened.....I had it on Steam originally and then requested it on GOG from Red Thread Games. Thanks for clearing that up. I forgot I did that, it was so long ago. (I can't remember yesterday sometimes....lol)

I'm going to try opening the game on Steam and see if 5 is there. Thanks for your help. This stuff confuses me sometimes. I know just enough to be dangerous. crazy

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/20/16 05:34 AM

Glad the mystery has been solved, UruKat. grin

Hope Book 5 is there for you now! Have you been able to check yet?

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/20/16 07:04 PM

Still only 4 in my GOG library, venus yes

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/20/16 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Still only 4 in my GOG library, venus yes

These are the options in my GOG library:

Dreamfall Chapters season pass (Part 1 of 4) 5.03 (gog-20) 32 MB
Dreamfall Chapters season pass (Part 2 of 4) 5.03 (gog-20) 3.9 GB
Dreamfall Chapters season pass (Part 3 of 4) 5.03 (gog-20) 3.9 GB
Dreamfall Chapters season pass (Part 4 of 4) 5.03 (gog-20) 0.9 GB
Patch 5.0.3 (64-bit version) 96 MB

32-bit version (part 1 of 4) 32 MB
32-bit version (part 2 of 4) 3.9 GB
32-bit version (part 3 of 4) 3.9 GB
32-bit version (part 4 of 4) 0.9 GB

So the 64-bit version has a patch available and the 32-bit version does not. The patch is only 96 MB so is not big enough to include a Chapter on its own, though it may be a fix for the Chapter.

Four downloads doesn't necessarily mean only four books.
As you can see from the sizes, the downloads are vastly different in size, and you need all of the set downloaded in order to install anything. It's not like Book 1 is the 1st file, Book 2 is the 2nd file, etc. There will probably never be more than 4 downloads -- the first being the tiny exe, and the rest being in chunks of 3.9 GB at maximum.

The exe files for the 64-bit version, the 32-bit version, and the patch are all showing up as June 20, 2016, so these may be new uploads. The download from Humble that I did yesterday had a date of March 1, 2016.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/20/16 08:40 PM

Oh, thanks very much, Jenny100. Those are the options I see also thumbsup

I'll download all the 64-bit stuff then over the next few days grin

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/20/16 09:11 PM

I downloaded the first 5 of those files. After running the setup file, and the installation completed, I attempted to run the patch, and it said Update already applied. So, apparently only the first 4 files (or possibly the last 4 32-bit files) are necessary for a new installation, and the patch is only necessary to update earlier installations.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/20/16 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Reg
So, apparently only the first 4 files (or possibly the last 4 32-bit files) are necessary for a new installation, and the patch is only necessary to update earlier installations.

Yup. They've done that before with other games -- updated the main download and offered a patch for the older version at the same time. The patch must be for the Book 5 version that was buggy.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/20/16 11:20 PM

Haven't checked yet. I'll do it this evening and let you know.

Has anyone been able to dl it yet?

Update:
Just updated my game on STEAM. When I selected "Continue game" it started at "interlude 3- the girl who walk between worlds". I'm guessing this is still book 4??
What has me so confused is that they have "episodes", "interludes", "books", etc. I honestly don't know what part I am at right now. I wish they would just keep it simple names so I can know where I am.
Anyway, I saw this posted on STEAM:
Quote:
REDUX is on its way!
JUNE 17 - RED THREAD GAMES
Just a brief update on today's launch of Book Five:

The final version has been uploaded to Steam (yay!) and the testers will have to do one final run-through of the episode to check that nothing has gone wrong in the build-and-upload process. This usually doesn't take too long, so we hope to have the Windows PC version live within a couple of hours.

Mac and Linux will follow shortly after.

When it comes to German and French subtitles, the localisation teams are still working on these, but they will be patched as soon as they're ready — hopefully next week. We'll keep you updated.

As soon as the final episode has been successfully tested, we will post another update with the change notes.

In the meantime, here's the Book Five launch trailer — but beware potential spoilers! If you're planning to play REDUX today anyway, you may want to hold off on watching it until you're done. (We won't blame you if you watch it, though: it's a great trailer!)

I'm guessing it's not quite bug-free yet.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/20/16 11:53 PM

What is this "REDUX" thing he's talking about?

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/20/16 11:58 PM

I may be wrong, but I think that's the name of Book 5??
http://assets.vg247.com/current//2016/04/dreamfall_chapters_book_5-5-424x600.jpg

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/21/16 12:29 AM

UruKat, that update is a few days old, and Book 5 was added to Steam the same day it was posted. If it hasn't updated for you, try signing out of Steam and signing back in again. Sometimes Steam won't update unless you do this for some reason. I think I may have had to do this to trigger the download as well.

Also, the version on GOG is the newest version from what I can tell. Have you tried using the GOG downloader? It's a lot simpler than downloading all of those files separately. GOG downloader is not Galaxy, by the way. It will put all of your files into one folder, and it's all DRM free.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/21/16 12:57 AM

Thanks for your help Venus. I have never tried the Gog downloader. I was wondering what that Galaxy was....but it said it was in beta.
I will try all that you advised. I'm sure I'll get it one way or another...lol.
urock

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/21/16 03:09 AM

luck I'm sure you'll get it. smile It's there, it's just a matter of figuring out how to get it to show up. lol

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/21/16 04:33 AM

And even though it says that Galaxy is a beta, lots of folks are already using it, if you wish to go that route.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/21/16 02:16 PM

Venus, I still don't see book 5 on Steam or GoG yet, but I had one more question to ask you about something you said in an earlier comment.
You mentioned you are going to transfer all the game to a USB stick. Is that hard to do? I would think it would have to be able to hold a large file for the entire game to be transferred to it. Again, I don't know that much about it. I'd love to know how to go about doing that if it's not too complicated. confused

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/21/16 02:52 PM

Please start a discussion in Glitches for details on transferring files to a USB stick. Thanks!

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/21/16 04:02 PM

I apologize, didn't realize it was the wrong forum. oops
On a good note....I downloaded GoG Galaxy and then was able to download Book 5 from that. thumbsup

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/21/16 04:12 PM

Good news, UruKat. Enjoy! smile

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/21/16 04:14 PM

No problem UruKat. It happens all the time that the threads derail to technical info! lol

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/23/16 12:53 AM

Glad you were able to download it through Galaxy, UruKat. You could have also downloaded it the other way, but at least you got it, so that's the important part. smile I think with GOG, you have to just download the entire game again. I know it's there because I've seen comments about people having downloaded it and played it on the day it was released.

As for Steam, did you try signing out and signing back in again yet? I think that's probably what you have to do in order to get it to download. You should be able to get it, as it's been up for almost a week. I played it the day it came out.

You can ask me about the USB stick in Glitches if you want. I'll try to answer as soon as I can, if I'm not at work. smile Short answer, I do have a USB stick with over 60 GB, so this gives me plenty of room for all the versions of Chapters, TLJ, Dreamfall, my entire picture collection and a whole lot of other games on top of that. lol
Posted By: rmt

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/23/16 07:47 PM

Anyone knows how I could have it on GoG? I must have missed an email at some point, and I sent them an email long ago to request a GoG key, but it remained unanswered. I have it on Steam and Humble Bundle (which is not updated yet there).

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/23/16 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: rmt
Anyone knows how I could have it on GoG? I must have missed an email at some point, and I sent them an email long ago to request a GoG key, but it remained unanswered. I have it on Steam and Humble Bundle (which is not updated yet there).

You can try emailing Red Thread again and tell them you never got your GOG key.
If that doesn't work, wait for one of GOG's 80% off sales and buy it then.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 06/24/16 05:59 AM

There's a new 5.1.1 patch available on GOG.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/07/16 07:35 PM

Well, I'm still not completely finished with Book 5, but, without giving any spoilers, I'm wondering what others think of it so far. It seems to be tying up all the loose ends and explaining a lot.
I'm not complaining, but Book 5 seems much more like a movie instead of a game. Not a lot of "gaming" to do, just mostly watching cut scenes, but still very good overall.
I'm not sure how much more I have left to play. Just got to the last Interlude and decided to wait and finish it another day.
Has anyone finished it yet? Haven't really heard any reviews or opinions yet. Just curious.....

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/09/16 06:03 AM

Well, I got stuck a couple of times, but then I'm terrible at finding hotspots. lol (That's why I always use a hotspot revealer whenever it's offered in an adventure game. grin) Otherwise, the puzzles were pretty easy, yes, but they weren't that challenging throughout the game anyway. I do think the puzzles were a lot better than they were in the original Dreamfall. Of course, they're not on the level of the original TLJ either, but then, I wasn't expecting them to be. I still think the bot puzzle in Book 3 was the best in the game.

I didn't feel it was more like a movie than a game, but then I play a lot of TellTale games as well, and I would much more readily apply that term to their games. I don't say this negatively, as I love TellTale's games and think there is room for the more movie-like games. Though I wouldn't want every game to be like this. I explored a lot in Chapters, too, though and checked out all the details, so this may have given me a false/different impression of things.

Personally for me, story is where Chapters has shone since the beginning, as well as exploration initially, though that lessened in later books. I still explored as much as I could in every book which made an already long game even longer. As far as the story/exploration elements go, I count it as one of the best gaming experiences I've had when taken as a whole. The amount of lore and detail in the game is amazing, and I don't know when or if there will be another game with this much detail again. (Maybe the next Lost/Last Crown game, whenever it comes out will come close . . . smile)

My biggest complaint is the cuts they made in Book 1, as I thought it was much better before. Luckily, I saved some older versions on a USB stick, so whenever I go back to replay the game, I will play the "correct" version of Book 1. grin

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/09/16 02:57 PM

I agree with you Venus......the amount of lore and detail is amazing. Such an incredible and complex storyline. I doubt there will ever be a game quite like this one again. I'm sad it's over, but I am glad that they tied things up in the end and don't leave us hanging, especially after devoting so many hours to this game.
I haven't gone back to replay Book 1 yet, so I'm not aware of the cuts.
I need to figure out how to put the whole game on a USB stick so I can one day play the entire game from beginning to end again.
Thanks for sharing your impressions of it. It was quite an EPIC game!!

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/09/16 07:42 PM

Well I may be (usually am) dense but I didn't get my questions answered.

They are:
Click to reveal..
I thought that the old lady at the beginning of TLJ and the end of Dreamfall Chapters was April Ryan having somehow gone to an alternate univrse after her supposed death (because an older Crow was there with her) and then April Ryan comes through a portal. So they still didn't answer who the old lady is.
Who was Saga? Is she the old lady at the beginning of TLJ and ending of Chapters? What happened to Saga's mother and father?

I enjoyed the series immensely but am still confused.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/09/16 11:52 PM

Good questions, Oldman. I haven't completely finished the game yet, so I still don't know the answers to your questions. Maybe when I do, I might be able to figure it out.....especially the Saga question. Still wondering about that one. Hoping it would be explained at the end.
Posted By: Iurii

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/10/16 04:38 AM

Oldman,

Click to reveal..

Of course Saga is the old lady at the beginning of TLJ and ending of Chapters! That is shown perfectly clear.
As for her parents - they were lost somewhere in their travels, never to return to the house between the worlds.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/10/16 02:50 PM

Oldman, just to expand a bit of what Iurli said smile :

Click to reveal..
Saga is April Ryan reborn. She becomes Lady Alvane after being "adopted" by Kian. (Which struck me as a bit amusing since they are about the same age. smile) It seems as though she remembers a lot of her life as April Ryan but doesn't quite remember that she was April Ryan. Crow was also reborn as well, and it looks as though Saga was able to orchestrate that somehow. If you notice, in that scene where she's with Kian and Likho at the end, Crow is a baby bird there.

Saga's mother got lost in her travels when Saga was just a baby. It sounds as though her father went searching for Etta (Saga's mother) once Saga was an adult, and they were able to say goodbye to each other. We don't know if he ever found her, as this is not something Saga herself knows.

UruKat, I know, I don't know if we'll ever see a game quite like this one again. frown Unless Ragnar decides to make another adventure game at some point, which I hope he does. As for a USB stick, just make sure you get one with plenty of space. (The one I'm using has over 60 GB, so I was able to include several games plus all my pictures and still have plenty of space left over. smile) Then just make sure you transfer all the files from your games. If you're using the GOG downloader, you should have a folder labeled GOG downloads. If you're just downloading them manually, they're probably just in your downloads somewhere. Hope this helps. You can always post in glitches for further assistance. smile

As a side note, I really enjoyed Saga's character. I even named my new cat after her. grin

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/10/16 03:57 PM

Thanks Venus for clearing that part up about Saga. It was what I suspected all along. Such a great story line and how it was all tied together at the end is so amazing.
Also....thank you for the advice on transferring games to a USB stick. I plan on doing that so I can one day go back and play from beginning to end one more time. I think that it will all make more sense playing it a second time, now that I know the whole story.
Now I'm SO looking forward to the next installment of Syberia to see what Kate is up to! TookToot! wave
Posted By: Thorsgoats

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/10/16 09:11 PM

This is one of the best games I've ever played. I still haven't played Book 5 because I'm replaying the whole thing from the beginning to refresh my memory.

Life UruKat, I'm also looking forward to playing Syberia 3 to see what Kate Walker is up to.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/11/16 06:16 PM

Well, I've not yet found time to download this (from GOG) as I need to get the whole game - not having played any of it so far. But I'm hoping to get to it over the next day or so.

So, a question ....
Is Dreamfall Chapters a completely "stand alone" game ??

[ Whilst I've played The Longest Journey more than once, I never completed Dreamfall. I really disliked certain aspects of it frown ]

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/12/16 12:37 AM

You're welcome, UruKat. I hope you are able to get it saved to a USB stick. I agree, it tied together beautifully, and the entire series tells my favorite story/stories in adventure games. (The Gabriel Knight series is a close second. smile) Even though he says it's unlikely, I do hope Ragnar makes The Longest Journey Home someday, or at the very least, another adventure game. He's my favorite writer in gaming, but games that are too focused on action are not my thing. smile

Mad, Chapters continues where Dreamfall left off. What was it about Dreamfall that bothered you? Was it the action sequences? If so, there are none in Chapters to worry about. There are two (brief) annoying stealth sequences in different books, but that's it. Most of the game is just pure adventure gameplay. You may want to watch a YouTube playthrough of Dreamfall if you want the back story. You can go into Chapters without playing it, but there are a lot of references you won't understand if you do it that way.

@UruKat and Thorsgoats - Yes, Syberia 3 should be great. smile

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/12/16 06:00 PM

Yes, venus. I intensely disliked those action sequences in Dreamfall and am pleased to hear there aren't any in Chapters !! yes

I can get quite a detailed "back story" of Dreamfall from WikipediA so I doubt I'll bother to watch the game on YouTube - although thanks for the suggestion.
I'm sure I'll manage OK grin

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/13/16 02:20 PM

Mad, I don't blame you regarding the action scenes in Dreamfall. I just pushed through them anyway since I wanted to play the game so badly. lol Now, since I have them memorized, I have no problems at all, and it's one of my favorite games in spite of having so many elements I dislike. Go figure. lol That said, I'm certainly glad they decided to do away with them in Chapters. yes

Wikapedia works also, great idea. thumbsup Just be careful not to spoil yourself with the added Chapters info. grin

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/14/16 03:56 AM

Oh, I'll make sure not to "spoil" myself !! laugh
Posted By: JoAJ

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/15/16 11:56 PM

I shouldn't really have been reading all these posts as I've not quite finished Chapters! However, I just couldn't resist as I really was getting so frustrated wondering about one of the same questions Oldman asked. Of course I should have just waited until the very end and found out for myself, not sure exactly where I left it last night but think it might be just before the Epilogue.

Must say I've loved the whole game and replayed the original Dreamfall while waiting for Book 5 to be released. I thought I hated the fight sequences originally but for some reason had no problem with them at all this time and loved every moment of playing that again. Now maybe I'll replay TLJ (although I've played that at least 3 or 4 times), then replay Chapters right trough from the beginning....maybe.....

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/16/16 12:06 AM

Thanks for letting us know about how much you liked Dreamfall Chapters. And that's interesting how you had no trouble with the fight scenes in Dreamfall the second time around - that gives me hope, as I know a lot of people had trouble with them. smile

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/16/16 06:18 AM

@Mad - thumbsup

JoAJ, I also had no problem with the combat the second time around or in any subsequent playthroughs. (Strangely, though, I was fine with Vinnie, the man in the Victory Hotel, the first time around, but during my second playthrough, I just couldn't win against him. Luckily, I know how to avoid him now. lol) That said, I still don't like combat and prefer games without it. I'm fine with TellTale's for the most part, as it mostly just feels like typing on command with the occasional mouse click. lol Even so, I would prefer it if they didn't rely on it so much.

Even though I'm better at Dreamfall's combat now, I'm so glad they did away with it in Chapters. I prefer relaxing while playing games, and having to do action sequences just makes me tense. yes

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/16/16 09:06 AM

Well, I just finished Chapters - hated to finish it but thought the ending certainly cleared everything up. Now there's a sort of "empty" feeling - what on earth does one play that is so involving I hadn't felt like this about a game in years for instance when first playing games like GK2, Tex Murphy games and of course TLJ. Of course there are lots of good games but mostly just games - if you know what I mean - rather than something that you think about at odd sorts of times and rather feel part of. What a shame that Book 5 is really and truly the end of a wonderful series!!

Must say that of all the Books in Chapters, personally I enjoyed Books 4 and 5 best of all, I felt the whole series just got better and better as it went along.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/16/16 03:32 PM

I know what you mean, it's hard to find games that are on that level! You may want to check out Life is Strange if you haven't done so already. While not on the level of Chapters, I thought it was a really fantastic, special game. Great story, characters I felt involved with, particularly Max and Chloe. It was one of the better games I've played in a while.

Also, the Blackwell series when taken as a whole is fantastic. The first few games are really short, so it almost feels episodic, but they get longer as the series goes on. The fourth game is really terrific, and the fifth is the peak of the series. You may have already played them, but in case you haven't, you may want to check them out. smile

Also, Oxenfree is a great, recent game. I got really involved in its story and setting. It's really short, though, only about four hours and is more about choosing dialogue choices and its radio mechanic. Pretty great for its length, however. I'm hoping to see more from these developers.

I agree, I think Chapters got better with each subsequent book, even though I missed the exploration introduced in book 1. Books 4 and 5 really blew me away. One of my favorite scenes is the one where my avatar takes place. smile I know Ragnar said they probably won't ever be able make TLJ Home, but I'm still hoping they are able to arrange it somewhere down the line anyway. While there are some really strong games out there, I felt TLJ and Chapters were the best gaming experiences I've had. Dreamfall was also fantastic, though not quite as detailed as the other two. Who knows, maybe we'll see at least see another adventure game by Red Thread Games at some point. That would be something to look forward to. smile

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/17/16 01:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Venus. I did play Blackwell Chronicles quite some years ago but wasn't all that keen on it from what I can recall, but I'll certainly check the others out. My favourite game of all times was GK2 even though I loved all the GK games. I think sometimes one's favourite games may be because of which games you play first. For instance I didn't play GK1 until a few years after playing GK2 and GK3 so that's probably why I've always preferred GK2 - well maybe anyway.

I haven't played either Life is Strange or Oxenfree, so will also check those out, thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/17/16 01:54 PM

Well, I played the GK series in order, and I also favor GK2. smile I thought it had the best story in the series, plus Von Glower was a very compelling character. The third is my second favorite because of the complexity of the story, the character development for Gabriel and Grace, and the Le Serpent Rouge puzzle. All three are outstanding games, however, and the series is an extremely close second favorite after TLJ for me. thumbsup

Great, hope you enjoy those games! Life is Strange in particular reminded me of Chapters as far as its playstlye is concerned. Plus, there is are a lot of TLJ parallels. The protagonist is an eighteen year photography student (April was an art student) with short brown hair (well, April's always looked auburn to me, but the characters look very similar smile) who is just going about her ordinary life when she discovers she has an amazing power. The stories are vastly different, of course, but I'm pretty sure the developers must have played TLJ and used it as one of their inspirations. smile

And now I think I'm going to replay Dreamfall Chapters from the beginning. I'm looking forward to playing it as one full game. It may take several days to get through, even so. lol

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/17/16 03:14 PM

Venus, thanks for some of the game suggestions. I had never even heard of Life is Strange or Oxenfree....I'm going to check those out for sure!
And.......while we are talking about some of the best games with a compelling storyline and lovable characters, let's not forget SYBERIA! I think it is a close second to Dreamfall. Such an amazing saga and must be played from beginning to end. I'm so excited for the next one to be released later this year. If anyone hasn't played it yet and enjoyed Dreamfall, I highly recommend it. There is Syberia, Syberia 2 and now awaiting Syberia 3. Wonder what Kate Walker will be up to now that she finally got Hans to Syberia.......and I hope Oscar will still be around. He was such a lovable character, along with the Youkals. Tooktoot wave2

PS. Just watched the video clip of Life is Strange. Is there fighting and is it mouse controlled or keyboard? I'm so not good at stealth or timed sequences.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/17/16 03:47 PM

You're welcome, UruKat. smile Syberia is a fantastic series also. I think it's really interesting that Syberia 3 is coming out so close to the end of Chapters, as the original TLJ and original Syberia also had a similar release schedule. I really like what I've seen of Syberia 3 in the videos so far. I would also like to see Oscar return. Maybe he can be resurrected somehow. smile

Also, The Lost Crown is an amazing, very detailed game I would recommend, though I assume most have played it already. smile I'm really looking forward to Blackenrock and hope we get some news on that one soon!

There is no fighting in Life is Strange; it's a pure adventure game. Its controls are exactly like the controls in Dreamfall Chapters. Use the keyboard to move the character and the mouse to control the camera. There are some minor timed stealth sequences in earlier episodes and one longer one in the last episode, but since your character has the power to rewind time, they're not that bad at all. The only one I got really annoyed with was the long one in episode 5, and that was just because there were more obstacles to avoid than I would have preferred. It's doable with the rewind mechanic, though, just really annoying. I'm not good at stealth either, and I managed to make it through (with more than a little complaining.) lol The episode 5 sequence was the only part of the game I didn't care for, but most of it is very slow paced, relaxing and enjoyable. I highly recommend it if you enjoyed Chapters.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/17/16 03:51 PM

Well, between other games, I am replaying Dreamfall Chapters from the beginning and trying to choose the opposite choices of what I did the first time through. It's not always easy to remember what choices I did make but I'm doing my best. (I sometimes have difficulty remembering what I had for breakfast today) lol

Also, not to beat a dead horse, I'm still a little confused about the ending
Click to reveal..
If Saga was a reincarnation (or whatever) of April then I don't understand how/why the young April came through the portal at the ending

But, to reiterate, I completely agree that this was one of the best, if not the best, games to come out in the adventure genre.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/17/16 04:10 PM

Oldman,
Click to reveal..
The House of All Worlds exists outside of space and time. If you remember, in the original TLJ, April visits Lady Alvane (who we now know is Saga) while escaping some Vangard agents that are chasing her. We also know that Lady Alvane (Saga) is telling the story to some visitors at the beginning of TLJ after the events of the game have taken place. Everyone just assumed Lady Alvane was April, since she was talking to an old Crow in the epilogue. And essentially, that's true, just not in the way we all expected it to be. When we see April come through to talk to Saga, we're just seeing the same scene we saw in TLJ from the other point of view. Hope that helps, at least somewhat. smile

Have fun with the different choices this time! Do you remember which career path you got for Zoë in your first playthrough? I have a definite favorite, and it's the one that involves "welding." grin If you got that one, I'm sure you'll know what I'm referring to. smile

I agree, this is one of the best gaming experiences I've had, and I'm glad to see there are others who feel the same. smile

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/17/16 04:59 PM

There is a good discussion on the different choices and consequences made while playing Dreamfall. This does have MAJOR spoilers, so if you haven't finished the game, you may not want to read it yet. I was thinking of doing the same thing as Oldman and seeing if different choices made a different ending. but after reading this, I don't feel like I will need to do that.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/237850/discussions/0/351659808483001843/

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/17/16 07:11 PM

There is no different ending, no, but there can be variations on the ending you do get. Personally, I wouldn't want vastly different endings anyway, as I don't feel that would fit this particular game. With certain games like The Walking Dead Season 2, this works (although even then, I have a preferred ending smile), but I feel like too many different endings for Chapters would water down the experience. I was quite satisfied with the variations on the ending I got
Click to reveal..
Kian, Likho and Saga all ruling together, Enu alive
, but I do intend to go back and create an "ideal" playthrough, now that I know the outcome of certain choices I've made. After that, I will probably always make these choices in subsequent playthroughs with only slight variations. I usually have a personal "canon" playthrough with choice based games, and this one will be no exception. smile

Urukat, also, in case you didn't know, there can be some pretty vastly different experiences in certain books depending on choices you've made. For example, Zoë can have one of two different career paths in Book 1. I prefer the one that involves "welding" myself, but there is another interesting experience you can have if you choose the other path. So even though your ending may not change all that much, your journey there can have some pretty different outcomes. smile

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/18/16 03:57 AM

Venus the first time through I did the one with welding and this second time I'm doing the one that involves algae.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/19/16 11:28 PM

I've also started playing Chapters through a second time, but it's hard to remember the original choices, although I know that so far I've certainly made one different choice - not that I've played much of it at all.

Thanks for the suggestion of Life is Strange, not one I'd heard of either. I see it's available at Steam but personally I'd rather buy games from GOG, I guess it may be there but haven't looked properly as yet. I'll buy games from Steam if I can't get them elsewhere though.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/20/16 02:39 PM

Oldman, sounds great. Have fun. thumbsup

JoAJ, I don't blame you. I prefer GOG as well, but unfortunately, Life is Strange is only available through Steam right now. I hope that changes one day, and I'm crazy enough that I'll buy it again if that happens. lol Like you, I'll get games from Steam if there is no other option but always go to GOG first so I have have a DRM free version to save to a USB stick. I'm also hoping that the new King's Quest will be available through GOG at some point, as so far, it's only on Steam. Oxenfree is available on GOG, which is really nice, as it wasn't at first. I picked it up there a second time when it was on sale.

For those that have started Chapters a second time, what do you think of the "new" Book 1? Do you like the cuts, or did you prefer the original? Personally, I liked the original a lot more, which is another reason I love having the GOG copy. I saved my older versions and will play them for Book 1, then switch to the Steam version after, so I can play Book 5. (The only reason I have both versions is that, as a backer, I was able to request a GOG version, and Red Thread also let us keep our Steam versions, which was really nice. smile) I suppose for new players, it wouldn't make a difference, as you will have only seen the newer version and therefore wouldn't miss the older one.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/21/16 01:18 AM

Venus, I too thought the first version of Book 1 Chapters was better than the new one, don't really understand why they felt the needed to alter it. Other than that everything else so far seems fine. smile

By the way, how odd that you mentioned Life is Strange the other day and now the first episode is being released free! I'll certainly be checking that out although I can't see a link for the free version yet. Mind you, I live in Australia and I don't now what the time difference is wherever that was produced/

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/21/16 06:38 AM

I agree, I don't see why they felt the need to alter it, as I thought it was perfectly fine the way it was. Why remove sections that people enjoyed? duh I'm hoping they get enough feedback and bring back the cut scenes/puzzles/dialogue. Amazing game anyway, of course. smile

It is interesting that the first episode of Life is Strange is being offered free now. Great timing. thumbsup I checked too, and I didn't see the offer on Steam. However, the trailer said the 21st, so maybe it isn't available quite yet. It should hopefully be offered soon; we'll just have to keep checking periodically.

EDIT: Life is Strange episode 1 is available free now through Steam. thumbsup

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/21/16 11:47 PM

Thanks Venus, downloading it now.

Re: Dreamfall Final Chapter Release Date - 07/22/16 02:32 AM

You're welcome, JoAJ. Have fun! smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community