GB HOMEPAGE

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/10/16 03:36 PM

The Game is Afoot! Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter is now available on PlayStation®4, Xbox One and PC.

Check out the official website here.

Check out the launch trailer here.

Check the screenshots here.

Quote:
Lesquin (France), June 10th, 2016 – Bigben Interactive, the video game publisher and distributor, and the studio Frogwares, are today celebrating the release of Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter on PlayStation®4, Xbox One and PC. Watch the launch trailer of the game now!

In the role of the most famous detective of all time, players must demonstrate an unparalleled sense of deduction while investigating a series of disappearances in the heart of Whitechapel, a living statue, a gang of thieves and a mysterious Mayan treasure. Confronted by these mysteries, each more disconcerting than the last, and by the threat looming over 221B Baker Street, will Sherlock Holmes be able to keep Katelyn, his adoptive daughter, safe from the dangers that surround her?

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter is a unique adventure game that blends exploration, investigation and action for a breath-taking and fantastic playing experience. You play as the master detective himself, plunged against his will into a fantastic adventure brimming with intense action sequences for an interactive experience that is more immersive than ever. Roam the streets of Victorian London in search of clues and suspects, and untangle the threads of multiple intrigues until you reach the incredible final revelation.

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter is now available on PlayStation®4, Xbox One and PC.

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/10/16 03:41 PM

Great for Sherlock fans!
Thanks Ana.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/10/16 04:56 PM

I am a massive Sherlock fan !! yes But not a massive Steam fan frown

So I could have a looooong wait to get this game from an alternative source cry

Nonetheless, thank you VERY much for the news, BrownEyedTigre wave2
Posted By: rmelone

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/10/16 07:48 PM

Mad,

I just checked Amazon and, unless I'm mistaken, they're selling the game on a DVD, not a download, from the United Kingdom - for less than Steam.

I already placed my order.

Robert
Posted By: Marian

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/10/16 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: rmelone
Mad,

I just checked Amazon and, unless I'm mistaken, they're selling the game on a DVD, not a download, from the United Kingdom - for less than Steam.

Robert

I just took a look at that page and it would appear that it is going to require a Steam connection - above the box, it says "Steam powered." It looks like you will still have to go through Steam in order to activate the game.

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/10/16 10:27 PM

You're right, I missed that.

Oh well, let's just hope for the best; I still want to get the game.
We'll see what happens.

Robert
Posted By: TeaMonster

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/11/16 12:42 AM

I hope that MaGtRo will write a walkthrough for this game, and that it will be possible to skip ALL action things, if not I will be totally lost with this game...
Posted By: MaG

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/11/16 12:47 AM

I have no plans to do so yet. I might later on.
I'm sure the web or steam will be filled with hints and solutions.
Have fun and enjoy the game.
Posted By: venus

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/11/16 02:29 PM

Thanks, Ana, it looks terrific. thumbsup I'm going to hold off on purchasing for now, as it's an expensive Steam game, and in addition, I think my graphics card may complain. lol Wishlisted for now. I definitely plan on getting it at some point. rah
Posted By: TeaMonster

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/11/16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: MaG
I have no plans to do so yet. I might later on.
I'm sure the web or steam will be filled with hints and solutions.
Have fun and enjoy the game.

Oh you are MaGtRo! I didn't know that! shocked I bow down to thee in awe, your walkthroughs are thee BEST that is out there! praise
Maybe you will have one out by the time I play this game, I think it's a little too demanding for my computer right now.

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/11/16 03:46 PM

Mad,

Robert

Oh, I always try and check to see if a "Non-Steam" release is available, Robert, so saw the offer at Amazon. But I did notice the "Steam" requirement frown
Posted By: judith

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/11/16 06:50 PM

I love Sherlock Holmes, but this game is way too expensive for a Steam download. I think I'll wait awhile to see what happens. Maybe it will become available at GOG one day for a lot less money, who knows?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/11/16 08:49 PM

You have to watch out for modern so-called DVD versions.
Sometimes all you get is a totally empty DVD with a Steam code.
Posted By: revco

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/11/16 10:06 PM

Playing it now...love it...thanks for the heads up!
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/12/16 01:34 AM

thanks Ana
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/12/16 11:00 AM

Playing it now also...like Sherlock's voice-little too much lip gloss in the close-ups!! lol One area might be cause problems-using the mouse and keyboard controls at the same time. Found it impossible, thanks for skips!!

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/12/16 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

Heck !! I've not heard of that before !! How ridiculous crazy
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/12/16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Originally Posted By: Jenny100

Heck !! I've not heard of that before !! How ridiculous crazy

I bought a game from Amazon that was just a code. I kept trying to pry the packaging open to get to the CD. Really ticked me off!
Posted By: UruKat

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/12/16 05:24 PM

There is a great video walkthrough on YouTube if anyone needs it.

Sherlock Holmes Walkthrough

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/12/16 05:40 PM

Thanks, UruKat. wave

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/12/16 06:33 PM

Thanks, Urukat!

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/13/16 08:02 PM

After communicating with a couple of people and doing research on Steam I
decided to cancel my order for the Sherlock Holmes game. Luckily I canceled
in time and wont be charged for it.

I had ordered the game on Amazon and had to send an email to the sender, so it
wasn't a typical cancellation.

I was wondering why games like this one are being released as "Steam Powered"
and not the typical way games were released - even though I could make a guess
and think it might be related to cost and profit margin.

I'm not even sure how the Steam system works but the one common thread I've seen,
more than once, is that quite a few people are not very happy with support.

I've been away from most adventure games lately - mostly using Big Fish - but I
really want to get back to these type of games but hesitate if the games are going
to be released through the "steam" process.

I guess I long for the old days of walking into a brick and mortar store and seeing
row after row of adventure games, ala Myst, etc.

I just hope the new Syberia game will not be released using Steam.

Robert

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/13/16 08:08 PM

I just hope the new Syberia game will not be released using Steam.

It will certainly be released on Steam.
What we don't know yet is whether the PC version will be released some other way.
The PC version may be a Steam exclusive for a few months -- or years.
It's only recently that Sherlock Holmes Testament became available at GOG, and Testament was first released on Steam 4 years ago (2012).

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/14/16 08:13 PM

So, I guess if I want to buy the Sherlock Holmes game in the near future
I have no choice but to use the Steam path.

Where can I find the PC requirements for this game?

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/14/16 09:22 PM

They are on the Steam page.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/350640/

Originally Posted By: Steam
Minimum:
OS: Windows 7 64 Bit / Windows 8.1 64 Bit / Windows 10 64 Bit
Processor: INTEL Core i3 3.6GHz / AMD FX Series 4.2GHz Quad-Core
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: 1024 MB 100% DirectX 11 compatible AMD Radeon HD 7790 / NVIDIA GeForce 460 GTX
DirectX: Version 11

Recommended:
OS: Windows 7 64 Bit / Windows 8.1 64 Bit / Windows 10 64 Bit
Processor: INTEL Core i5 2100 3.1 GHZ / AMD A8-7600 3.1 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: 2048MB 100% DirectX 11 compatible ATI R9 270X / NVIDIA GeForce 760 GTX or higher
DirectX: Version 11
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/19/16 02:45 PM

So, I guess if I want to buy the Sherlock Holmes game in the near future
I have no choice but to use the Steam path.

Thanks,

Robert

There's always a choice . Personally , I avoid Steam like the plague , unless I have no other option . I will wait until , hopefully , this and Crimes & Punishments come to GOG , or some other drm free avenue.
Posted By: Donald

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/21/16 01:44 AM

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter review: A dreadful case

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/21/16 01:59 AM

I merged your post, Donald, with the existing Sherlock Holmes thread. wave

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/21/16 05:06 PM

Wow !! That's a pretty scathing review, Donald !! eek
Posted By: k28d13j11

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/21/16 05:36 PM

Hello.
I am also not a very big fan of steam. I always have trouble getting into their website. so I also have a long wait for this game.
kathy

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/21/16 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Creeping_Doom
There's always a choice .

That is true.
You can wait.
You can decide not to buy or play the game at all.
Or you can watch someone else play it on YouTube.

Considering all the dexterity requirements for this particular Sherlock game, I'd much rather watch someone else play it on YouTube and let them wrestle with the "action" parts. You may be able to "skip" dexterity sequences, but if you do that you miss seeing what happened during the dexterity sequence. As the PCWorld reviewer pointed out, using skips makes an already short game even shorter.

Metacritic scores are around 80%, but those reviews are from console reviewers.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sherlock-holmes-the-devils-daughter
I have no doubt console gamers were the target audience -- probably considered to be where the money is.

The game is currently $50 at Steam -- not an inexpensive game.
Consider how much of the gameplay is something you'd enjoy and how much you'd have to "skip" before purchasing.

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/21/16 07:35 PM

"Consider how much of the gameplay is something you'd enjoy and how much you'd have to "skip" before purchasing."

That's definitely what I'm doing, Jenny100.
I was very disappointed to read about all the action parts. I'm not that good with "action" in Adventures frown
Posted By: plumgas

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/22/16 10:44 AM

I have just finished playing this game and it is a very hard game & certainly not your typical sherlock holmes. The pc spec are also very high. I does have skips in some parts but in 2 different sections of this game you cannot skip so you are dead in the water if you cannot get through it.

maybe watch a bit of a playthrough on youtube before you buy this. if I could describe this game in 2 words I would say "Indiana Jones"
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/22/16 12:37 PM

If anyone's looking for a good YouTube playthrough to see if this is a game that you might like to play yourself, I'd recommend DanQ8000's; it's a lot of fun. laugh

SH: Devil's Daughter playthrough

Edit: I just noticed that UruKat posted an alternative playthrough earlier in this thread. That one is without player commentary, whereas Dan's is with, so go with your preference. I know that some folks dislike commentary. yes
Posted By: venus

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/23/16 12:40 AM

Thanks for the links, UruKat and Rushes, and thanks for the review, Donald. Wow, I think I'm definitely going to go with Jenny's suggestion and just watch a YouTube playthrough. eek I may get it eventually when the price goes down drastically, but as of now, I think it's overpriced for such a short game loaded with action segments. I don't like action segments. TellTale's are fine, but that's about as much as I'd prefer to handle. Much as I'm enjoying it, even the new King's Quest takes them too far for my tastes sometimes, particularly at the end of the last episode.

For now, I think I'm going to go with UruKat's link to just watch the story without commentary. Then, maybe I'll watch Rushes' link later as well, as it's always fun to see others' perspectives on games. smile
Posted By: plumgas

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/29/16 07:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Rushes
If anyone's looking for a good YouTube playthrough to see if this is a game that you might like to play yourself, I'd recommend DanQ8000's; it's a lot of fun. laugh

SH: Devil's Daughter playthrough

Edit: I just noticed that UruKat posted an alternative playthrough earlier in this thread. That one is without player commentary, whereas Dan's is with, so go with your preference. I know that some folks dislike commentary. yes

I watched DanQ8000 play through and he did a great job, totally recommend watching him for a few hints.

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 06/29/16 03:14 PM

Thanks, plumgas!
Posted By: Thorsgoats

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 07/10/16 09:31 PM

Thanks, BrownEyedTigre. The trailer is interesting and makes me want to play the game. I look forward to playing it once I get a better graphic card to support it.
Posted By: TJL

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/15/17 05:41 PM

Hi,

I'm quite surprised how many negative comments there are written, especially from those of you who have not played the game at all.

I played the game one case a day and liked it. Interesting cases and surroundings, several different types of puzzles with various difficulty. In total I would say that it was easier than many previous SH games.

Most of you have complained about how expensive the game is and how much there are action sequences.

What it comes to price, in last couple of years the price of new games has almost doubled. I guess it's due to them being released on multiple platforms including consoles and it's certainly much more tempting to rise the price for PC players than to lower it for console players. But I agree with you that it is not a fair tendency. But if you are willing to wait a bit longer and keep your eyes open you most propably find new games with less than half the original price within a year from their release.

From my opinion action is not a bad element in adventure games. It is a compromise to tempt new audience from other genres to make the games more profitable. Otherwise there would be far less new games. There has been action elements in SH games for ages already. But in earlier games the were designed to be played using mouse and keyboard mostly. The console era games are designed to be played totally using a gamepad. I understand it may feel a massive change for many to try a gamepad instead of keyboard and mouse. But believe me it's not that difficult. Once you get used to it you won't even consider using keyboard and mouse if there is gamepad support available in the game like there usually is nowadays. Don't spoil your game experience with 'wrong' equipment. A wired Microsoft XBox 360 Controller for Windows (which is probably best supported) is not an expensive investment, only about half the price of a new best seller game. Learning to use the gamepad is best done playing some easy game that uses it in comprehensive ways, one that comes to my mind is Brothers - a Tale of two Sons.

But I wish game developers would offer us more options for tuning the game difficulty, except from skipping something totally. Three or more would be fine in most cases.

The only thing that's permanent is change!

Timo

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/15/17 06:50 PM

Timo, I played with a gamepad long before keyboards and computers became a household thing. Never liked them, never felt comfortable with them. I also do not like keyboard controlled games. Having been a DarkSide game player for many years, I have to accept that fact that it will be controlled that way. On the other hand, I do not like my adventure games with anything but a mouse. I also don't like action in them. I play different things when I am in the mood, and when I want an adventure, I want to stroll through enjoying all it has to offer. I do not enjoy it when I have to have fast reflexes. If I want the stress of that, I will load a FPS and blow up some monsters or enemies.

Ana wave

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/15/17 07:19 PM

Hi Ana, nice to hear your opinion. Hope to hear others too! smile

I personally have nothing against mixing adventure and action, vice versa. Especially to gain wider audience (for 'adventure' games).

Many new games have plenty of opportunities to adjust gamepad controls. For example this particular game has options to invert X- and Y-axis and adjust their sensitivity individually through in-game menu. Those will help many gamers to change the controls for their liking.

Keyboard and mouse controls together are horrible! Always get sore fingers! mad

Timo

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/15/17 07:57 PM

I have kids so I have access to all the consoles, controllers and latest gadgets. I have really given it my all to like it especially since they have asked me to play with them. I just can't.

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/15/17 09:10 PM

I agree with so many of the points BrownEyedTigre has made yes

And too much merging of genres won't have a happy ending, in my opinion rolleyes

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/16/17 12:59 AM

People should vote with their wallets.
If you want more QTE-heavy Sherlock games, go ahead and buy it.

Otherwise, don't waste money on something you won't enjoy.

It's not up to Gameboomers members to subsidize Frogwares.
Posted By: CountZero

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/16/17 03:13 AM

I also do not want action/dexterity sequences in my adventure games. Its one of the reasons I have never purchased a telltale game. Im not really sure what they are...

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/16/17 07:09 AM

I hear heavy opinions here!

By my opinion the newest SH game was not so different than previous ones and the amount of action has been too underlined in comments. Danger and action are part of SH world in books. So why should they be forgotten in games? Well, at least I liked it.

It is unfortunate that there are players who can't handle the QTE sequences, at least not with adjustment options provided. But giving more options from watching a cutscene up to full action could change the thing?

Because of ever increasing multi-platform releases the gamepad controls are here to stay as the only common way covering all platforms. And that's where they put their effort. It's better to try to adapt than strictly hold on to the past if you want to play multi-platform games in the future. One good way to ruin your experience is to use 'wrong' equipment. This concerns all game genres, solid and hybrids.

What I wish is that be open to new ideas and technology in games and do not pre-judge anything so easily without trying yourself. And keep in mind that what once was is not necessarily true today, both games and equipment develop by time.

What it comes to TellTale games, I found those I'we played (Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us) quite easy on QTE. But the story adapting to your acts and decisions is what makes them special. You deeply immerse to the story and start to really care about the characters. Life Is Strange is a good comparison. In general I'm not a big fan of cartoonish games but especially The Walking Dead has a style that pleases my eyes one great thing being characters narural facial expressions.

I'll leave this subject to this posting.

Timo

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/16/17 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: TJL

What I wish is that be open to new ideas and technology in games and do not pre-judge anything so easily without trying yourself. And keep in mind that what once was is not necessarily true today, both games and equipment develop by time.

For 50 dollars, I can buy 6 games like Leaves: The Journey and Tormentum that are absolutely brilliant and play exactly like I want them to. There is a lot I can do with that amount of money. I also did not pre-judge it, I just decided to pass on it.

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/16/17 08:34 PM

As always, it boils down to a personel preference.
So some people will agree with you, TJL and some people won't.
And I am one of the latter.

Although rather sad at the prospect, I doubt I'll be buying any future Sherlock Holmes games from Frogware.
Not only have they now become extemely expensive and and inclusive of difficult "can't skip" action sequences - but they have also become tied to Steam !!
And Steam is another "No No" as far as I'm concerned rolleyes
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Now Available - 03/16/17 10:45 PM

I agree with all the comments against this game especially the price, requirements, action sequences and the fact that you can't play using just the Mouse.

I really liked Jenny100’s quote:
Quote:
People should vote with their wallets

And it's not so much the price itself, if too expensive, wait and the price will come down but it is Not only the price of the game one has to take into consideration, I have a 4 year old laptop which can still play almost every Adv. game out there and I am not ready to buy a New Laptop just for the sake of playing one game, and I know I am not the only one that would need to buy a New Laptop or *Upgrade their Desktop PCs to play this game.

*IF that is, the old desktop is capable of being upgraded and then one must ADD the cost of the upgrade with the game "Wow, expensive game right?" and if not capable of an upgrade to play the game then you are in the same boat as Laptop owners, Buy a New PC just to play a game, a Short one at that.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community