GB HOMEPAGE

Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/19/16 02:48 PM

Two eerie ‘Barrow Hill’ games to debut on Steam at Autumn Equinox.

Check out the official Dark Path website here.

View The Dark Path trailer here.

Check the screenshots here.

Quote:
Haarlem, The Netherlands
19 September, 2016

Fans of point-and-click adventure games will rejoice, as Iceberg Interactive and developer Shadow Tor Studios plan to release both Barrow Hill: Curse of the Ancient Circle, on its 10th year anniversary, and its brand new sequel Barrow Hill: The Dark Path on Steam in a few days. Both store pages are now up as 'Coming Soon’ on Steam.

Celtic myth meets modern technology in The Dark Path, as an ancient Bronze Age deity is let loose upon the Cornish landscape. Baibin, a shamanic, mythical creature, is angry; archaeologists have disturbed her tomb and removed precious items. The Equinox is upon us, when day and night are equal, and Baibin won't rest until she finds what is rightfully hers, no matter what the cost. Lives are at stake, including your own, during an endless night of Pagan ritual and Celtic ceremony.

Lead developer Matt Clark says: “It's the 10 year anniversary of the first launch of Barrow Hill, my first game, so I thought it was time for a dedicated sequel, back in the original setting for this year’s Autumn Equinox. The old Service Station and Motel have been slowly dragged back into the woods, as nature reclaims the old site. No-one dares to visit Barrow Hill since the original 'event', or do they? There has been talk of 'rituals' and ceremonies at the derelict motor garage, but the locals are afraid to look further. Maybe you are up for the task?”

Barrow Hill: Curse of the Ancient Circle, including its soundtrack as free DLC, will release at $ 7.99 and the all new The Dark Path at $ 14.99. For more information regarding Barrow Hill: The Dark Path, please visit the official website http://www.thedarkpath.co.uk or check out the coming soon pages on Steam.

Barrow Hill: The Curse of the Ancient Circle - http://store.steampowered.com/app/494360
Barrow Hill: The Dark Path - http://store.steampowered.com/app/520990

Barrow Hill - The Dark Path

It has been 10 years since the 'Barrow Hill Incident', a terrible, unsolved mystery, when several people lost their lives to the force inside the hill. No-one knows what really happened, except you. Something to do with the ancient standing stones, the old Druid Circle. It was built by pagans, millennia ago, for purposes that we can only guess at. Until now.

It is the Autumn Equinox, when day and night are equal, exactly as they were a decade ago. You have returned to the scene of the crime, seeking answers. Could such an event happen again? What trials and offerings await? As you leave the car behind, and step into the dark world of the old woods, you wonder whether you seek the truth, or you are following the Dark Path.

Joining you on your adventure, once again, is kooky amateur late-night DJ Emma Harry. She is worried for her teenage friend, Mia, who has been behaving suspiciously. Emma has heard rumours of rituals, ceremonies and Devil Worship near the old Barrow Hill Service Station. Could Mia be involved? She may have good reason, Mia's brother Ben was among the missing 10 years ago. Is time repeating itself?

Features -
Sequel to Barrow Hill - Curse of the Ancient Circle.
A classic style 'point and click' adventure.
Explore the woods, standing stones and abandoned buildings of Barrow Hill, Cornwall.
A full spooky soundtrack, featuring real-world sfx from the setting.
Solve a myriad of puzzles and enigmas.
Full voice cast, to bring the adventure to life.
Search for lost treasures from the Bronze Age.
Use archaeology to uncover sites not seen for thousands of years.

Happy Gaming!

Ana joy
Posted By: Marian

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/19/16 03:05 PM

Wow! This is exciting (and unexpected) news! Thanks, Ana. thumbsup
Posted By: MaG

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/19/16 03:14 PM

Thanks Ana. <wheeee>
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/19/16 03:17 PM

Thank you BLT-just put it on my wishlist. Lovely surprise on a damp and dreary day... fall

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/19/16 03:17 PM

And before anyone says anything, Bracken Tor will follow. It is set in the Winter Solstice. laugh
Posted By: 8dognight

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/19/16 03:26 PM

Welcome news. Thanks.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/19/16 04:21 PM

I hope it is made available at the Shadow Tor store soon
http://www.shadowtorstudios.co.uk/store/

That's where I got Midnight Horror.

Looking forward to more Emma Harry.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/19/16 05:04 PM

Jenny, for now, this is the official response: "it will be released on Steam and other download portals will be linked to from the website and the shadow tor studios store".

Ana wave
Posted By: meryl

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/19/16 05:23 PM

Wonderful, wonderful news. I'll get it even if it is on steam. Thank you for letting us know about this.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/19/16 10:59 PM

thanks for the info Ana.
Posted By: revco

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/20/16 12:33 AM

Holy cow...awesome. Thanks for the news!
Posted By: SCOTTY

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/20/16 12:37 AM

GREAT NEWS!! BH was one of my favorite games!! After I finish "EYES OF ARA" I'll be headed back to BARROW HILL!! Thanks Ana!!

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/20/16 03:33 AM

Listen to tunes and more here:

http://www.barrowhillradio.com/
Posted By: Mad

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/20/16 12:04 PM

Great news, BrownEyedTigre, thank you smile
But I'll be waiting to see if there'll be a non Steam release grin

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/20/16 02:27 PM

There will be Mad, I posted that a few posts above. laugh
Posted By: gamenut

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/20/16 03:11 PM

Finally!! A good game I've been looking forward to for years and will play on my win7!!! Broke my heart when the latest 'Crown' game came out and specs so high. won't be able to play it....and thought, well, the other Matt Clark games will be same type high specs--so I was SO TICKLED to see this post!!!!
So I will have 2 new and good games to play this year...this one and the one to be released later and hope the specs are the same! Hooray!!
Posted By: Lagavulin

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/21/16 12:38 AM

GREAT News thanks for the info

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/21/16 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Yes, I had seen that post, BrownEyedTigre, but an alternative seller doesn't always mean an alternative to Steam. I've been caught by that in the past - so I was trying to make sure laugh

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/21/16 04:30 PM

Ahhh... wink

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/21/16 06:21 PM

kissy kissy

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/21/16 07:57 PM

I've just noticed it says "keyboard and mouse to play" on the Dark Path website. I hope this doesn't mean we have to use the keyboard part of the time. What do you think?

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/21/16 08:01 PM

Just my opinion, but I don't think that's what it means - I think it will play just like the original Barrow Hill, and that it's just stating what peripherals are required.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/21/16 11:55 PM

The game is entirely mouse except for typing in a solution to a puzzle. No worries!

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/21/16 11:58 PM

Thanks for the confirmation, Ana. wave

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 12:05 AM

You are welcome!

Ana wave
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 02:45 AM

Thanks Ana! Now I know what my next game will be.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 02:51 AM

I can't wait for tomorrow! I cleared my schedule!

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 03:26 AM

I can't wait for tomorrow! I cleared my schedule!

Ana wave

I can't wait too. So Happy this is coming out...

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 07:58 AM

It's a winner for me! Thanks so much for the confirmation.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 09:38 AM

Exciting news! Thanks Ana!

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 01:55 PM

Steam tells me I have to wait 6 more hours! Noooooooo! rotfl
Posted By: dorish

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 06:22 PM

Downloading it now--1:15 pm Ontario Canada. Whoopee!

Doreen

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 06:58 PM

I'm playing! So excited! And it's 20% off along with other Iceberg games!
Posted By: dorish

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 07:24 PM

Well, I downloaded, and when I click on PLAY, it just keeps saying preparing to launch, and nothing happens Lol! I am just going to wait until tomorrow. Hope you are enjoying the game.

Doreen

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 08:35 PM

It just had an update. Perhaps that is what it was doing while you were waiting.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/22/16 09:16 PM

VERY impatient now - for a non Steam release lol lol

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/23/16 12:07 AM

Starting to play...I hope you ladies post a walkthrough soon. smile
Posted By: Jarkeld

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/23/16 12:55 AM

Already spotted what looks like a familiar Quoit. That is one of the things I really like about the Shadow Tor/Darkling Room games: they are based on real sites.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/23/16 01:56 AM

Seems there's a 40.9 MB update...interesting.
Posted By: Jarkeld

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/23/16 08:08 AM

Small bug fix I think: I reported a bug via the Shadow Tor facebook page and got a message back that they were working on fixing it.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/23/16 08:08 AM

Also waiting for a non Steam release. If anyone hears of the alternative download site could you post it here please. Thanks guys.
Posted By: connie

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/23/16 11:48 AM

Just bought it. happydance

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/23/16 02:26 PM

Jarkeld, yes. Matt has been hard at work releasing a few updates. It's a beautiful game so far! Savoring every moment.

Ana wave
Posted By: GBC

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/25/16 12:11 AM

Woo Hoo!

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/26/16 07:05 PM

The game is awesome! I'm loving it!
Posted By: marie

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/26/16 09:34 PM

I bought the game for $11.99 on steam, now I'm ready to play.

Thanks for letting me know about this new Barrow Hill Ana.

Marie wave2

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/26/16 09:43 PM

You are very welcome! Enjoy!

Ana wave
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/27/16 12:54 AM

Now that I've finally figured out how to make my way around, I'm enjoying it a lot more. Stuck as usual though... need to figure out the oak tree puzzle.
Posted By: Argyle1968

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/28/16 06:14 PM

Just curious-is The Dark Path the same game as what was once being teased as 'Wychwood' or something similar? In other words, the third Barrow Hill game, supposedly to come after Bracken Tor? In any event, glad it's out, and for once, playable on steam for those of us who don't have supercomputers. Big props to Matt for that!

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 01:17 AM

This one comes before Bracken Tor. It is the fall solstice and Bracken Tor is the winter solstice. Wychwood would fall after Bracken Tor.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 08:38 AM

Such a lot to look forward to then!

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 02:31 PM

Ana, do you know if Bracken Tor and Wychwood will be adventure games? I ask because within Dark Path, which I am enjoying more than an ominously promised free hug, on the RBH website there is mention of HOGs. Oh, say it isn't so, Matt Clark.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 02:50 PM

They are pure adventures as is Dark Path. I don't know who said it's a HOG, but they clearly aren't playing it! lol

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 03:28 PM

If you look at the websites on the laptop in Barrow Quoit, you can click on the one for Radio Barrow Hill and find the information on HOGs.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: 8dognight
If you look at the websites on the laptop in Barrow Quoit, you can click on the one for Radio Barrow Hill and find the information on HOGs.

A web search for "Barrow Quoit" only finds this thread.
A web search for "Radio Barrow Hill" finds this
http://www.barrowhillradio.co.uk/

However I see nothing there about any Barrow Hill game being a "HOG" or "hidden object" game.

I think you have misinterpreted something.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 07:37 PM

The Barrow Quiot is a location in the game Barrow Hill: THe Dark Path. The laptop is located there as well.
The game referred to is "Strange Mystery of the Haunted Winnebago CE" and is not real.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 07:40 PM

The Barrow Quiot is a location in the game Barrow Hill: THe Dark Path. The laptop is located there as well.
The game referred to is "Strange Mystery of the Haunted Winnebago CE" and is not real.

That would definitely make me smile. laugh

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 08:07 PM

Sorry, it took me a minute to get there in a game.

Click here for the screenshot.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 08:34 PM

Yes, when I clicked on that on the laptop in the Quoit, it made me chuckle!
Posted By: Argyle1968

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 09:53 PM

This one comes before Bracken Tor. It is the fall solstice and Bracken Tor is the winter solstice. Wychwood would fall after Bracken Tor.

Yeah, thanks for the lesson, but the actual reason I asked is because, despite your hypothesis, the in game footage from The Dark Path looks just like the teaser that came for Wychwood, way back when. It's quite conceivable, given the years long, for whatever reason delay of Bracken Tor, that Matt Clark simply took what he had started to develop as his third game and turned it into his second as a way to placate those waiting for Bracken Tor.

That's what I am getting at.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/29/16 10:30 PM

Wychwood is separate and the Dark Path is a new game. THe characters from the games are intertwined though in all of them. So to answer your question, this is an entirely new game and Wychwood is still on for after Bracken Tor.

And my answers are not an hypothesis. I confirm my responses with the developers unless I say that it is in my opinion.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/30/16 01:28 PM

THe big major update was yesterday evening. I started over so I can experience in the new order of things. They changed a bit. If you aren't too inconvenienced and don't mind a restart, I'd recommend playing agsain.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/30/16 07:06 PM

Thank you!! So you DO NOT have to un & reinstall the game. Just start the game you already have from the start?

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/30/16 07:19 PM

Yup! That's what I did! Some things are different this time so don't be surprised if you see it a little different than your last time through.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 09/30/16 07:35 PM

Very cool. Thank you SO much!! I will begin again this evening. smile

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/01/16 03:00 PM

I moved some posts to the Hints thread in case you can't find some!

Ana wave
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/01/16 03:16 PM

I did not start the game over from the beginning after the large Update but I also recommend it and I will be re-playing the game from the beginning like Ana says after I finish where I am now. After the Update a few things appeared in my game that weren't there before the update.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/01/16 03:59 PM

I'm going to do the same as Greyfuss...

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/01/16 04:43 PM

I am replaying, but stuck earlier than I was before. lol I think later today, I'll be crying uncle and asking for help.

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/02/16 01:00 PM

I have finished Barrow Hill: The Dark Path. The game was cleverer than I in many places, which isn't hard to do I admit, though perhaps not as difficult as I remember the first game being. In this one a couple of times I thought I had run into glitches that weren't glitches at all but merely my own lack of patience once I gave the matter some thought. For instance, you can't
Click to reveal..
use the matches on the table in the cafe, you have to use the matches in inventory then wait

I hope the next winter solstice in Bracken Tor doesn't take another decade.

Also I have a question.
Click to reveal..
WW (Elsie Prestige) left messages for the journalist (Phil?) whom she must have known would come. I think the messages weren't for Mia and crew because they had nothing to do with restoring the balance previously. Did Elsie not intend to unleash Baibin? I rather think she did. Do we get an answer to this in the game?
Posted By: seagul

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/02/16 06:22 PM

I think
Click to reveal..
the White Whitch wanted to help the children, especially Mia. She is the one responsible for the wishing cards on the table of the diner, because she supports the beliefs the people show towards the supernatural. And she has made her own wishes on the same spot as the others.
I don't think she has messages for the reporter/me. She is the White Whitch of the area and has a responsibily towards nature and the supernatural.
In Barrow Hill she is the one who looks after the well of St. Anneka. She is very deep into the lokal mythology and has written two leaflets with informations about it.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/02/16 11:42 PM

Thanks, seagul. This was bugging me but isn't
Click to reveal..
the note in the cafe to someone who has restored the balance before? Maybe I'm suspicious because she helped and encouraged Mia, Gus, and Ollie to do something that almost got themselves plus Emma killed. At best, Elsie is one terrible supernatural supervisor.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/03/16 08:59 AM

The White Witch
Click to reveal..
states in the BHR-Treath that she started to belief the supernatural after something happend 1965 at Braken Tor. She also says in an Email to Mia that her own mother was damaged or died in these events 1965 because she did not believe. And that Mia could do it better.
She's playing a dangerous game.

As for the note in the cafe:
Click to reveal..
i always assumed she is talking directly to Baibin.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/03/16 02:18 PM

Wasn't 1965
Click to reveal..
the date or around the date that Harker came and disturbed the grave? Was Harker Elsie's mother? That would make sense in terms of children choosing career paths that are the opposite of their parents' professions, particularly when Elsie's mother was injured or died or vanished because she didn't believe.I thought the note in the cafe was to PC--I think at one point Emma calls him Phil--because Emma repeatedly tells him that he has restored the balance before and can do it again. Your take is interesting because it makes the player the next Baibin (or Herne figure if the player really is male). Come to think of it, I guess a Phil could be female. I've forgotten if the earlier game discloses a gender.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/03/16 02:35 PM

8dognight, that is an interesting and very believable possibility concerning the WW and Harker. It might explain a lot.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/03/16 03:06 PM

I don't think the White Witch is
Click to reveal..
the daughter of Agatha D-H.
The Emailaccout belongs to WhiteWicca1952, so we can assume, she was born in 1952. What corresponds with the pictures we see. In 1965 she must have been 13 years old and Agatha never mentioned a little daughter (or a daughter at all) in her diary.
In one Email the White Witch mentions Agatha D-H and shows great despite.

I read the messages the White Witch left at the cafe once more. You are right, she wants us/the journalist to help restore Baibins treasures. She even talks in an Emai to Mia that Baibin needs her treasures restored.
How could i not seen this before!
Posted By: gatsbygirl

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/03/16 05:45 PM

Never mind. It just loaded. Looking forward to playing it!

I purchased the new Barrow Hill game last week while it was on sale. I haven't used Steam in quite awhile and the game is taking forever to load and install. A box on my screen says "updating Steam" and this has been going on for about ten minutes. Is this normal since I haven't used Steam for awhile?

Thanks!

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/03/16 10:00 PM

Have fun!\

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/03/16 10:01 PM

Yes, it is completely normal. Once you get past the updates, you should be good to go.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/03/16 10:19 PM

Thanks, Draclvr. Seagul, I do think there is a distinct possibility
Click to reveal..
Elsie is Harker's daughter. For all we know, Harker could have had three or four children all safely lodging with the vicar in St Awful or tucked away in boarding school and having a better time of it than they would have had with a globe trotting, glory seeking mom more concerned with the monetary worth of a find than its scientific or historical value. That said, I got a kick out of Harker's journal, loved the photos (Was that someone in drag as Harker?) and loved how much clout Harker clearly had with the Royal Society. She must have been something of a celebrity archaeologist, not at all the type to be bothered by leaving her children with the grandps for years on end. I quite liked Harker with her Bronze Age pelf around her neck and her nose in the air. "Kids, what kids? Oh, those. Yes, must remember to write after Christmas and see if their camel ever arrived from Cairo. Perhaps the Pony Club will refrain from fussing if Elsie has a nonregulation mount." If taxed about leaving Elsie to the care of others, Harker would have sniffed and said, "Winston's moral compass was his nanny. Pass the cucumber sandwiches, there's a dear."

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/04/16 01:00 AM

I like this scenario. Perhaps you have the basis for a new game with the characters! So many possibilities...
Posted By: Thorsgoats

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/04/16 01:30 AM

I think the new Barrow Hill game is very good so far. It helps a great deal if you played the first one because everything will be familiar. I was actually hoping that there would be attacking stones in this game, but I haven't seen any so far. I think it's a good game to play around Halloween. blackkitty bat witch
Posted By: shine

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/07/16 06:31 PM

Is this the game Wychwood Hollow? It looks similar to the future game of same name. They must have renamed it.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/07/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: shine
Is this the game Wychwood Hollow? It looks similar to the future game of same name. They must have renamed it.

Ana already answered that question on the previous page of this thread.

Post #1084026 ...

Post #1084138 ...
Wychwood is separate and the Dark Path is a new game. THe characters from the games are intertwined though in all of them. So to answer your question, this is an entirely new game and Wychwood is still on for after Bracken Tor.

And my answers are not an hypothesis. I confirm my responses with the developers unless I say that it is in my opinion.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/10/16 06:55 PM

Barrow Hill Path Path was a fab game just finished it and loved it. There several things I need a little help with and one was the order of the video clips (where there any clues on how Mag solved this one?) and placement of the grave things and how she figured out what to use?

Marie wave2 ghost2

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/10/16 07:10 PM

Hi Marie,

Click to reveal..
5-8 was easy enough.
I deduced 2,3,4 were together.
It's the first one - burning of leaflet that I went through inserting in between 2-4 by trial and error.

As for the grave thing - that was straightforward.
You have the list of grave things inserted in Agatha's journal plus the rolled up drawing of the location of those 4. See the walkthrough for pics of both of them.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/10/16 07:22 PM

Very clever, Mag, thanks.
Posted By: BubbaJake

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/14/16 02:22 AM

I truly liked Barrow Hill and because of that very good game, I wanted to play Bracken Tor, not The Dark Path. I will not waste good money on this one. I read the reviews and the four important ones got through to me. I am no longer in the mood. I hope Matt Clark makes a fool of me and has made a very good follow-up to Barrow Hill.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/14/16 02:46 AM

I LOVED The Dark Path and once it was fully patched, it was a great game.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/14/16 03:11 AM

I also enjoyed Dark Path. It is a very good sequel to Barrow Hill 1. I highly recommend this game.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/14/16 03:56 AM

I thought The Dark Path was excellent and a worthy sequel to Barrow Hill. I just finished yesterday and I'm sad it's over.

Ana wave
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/14/16 04:37 AM

I agree, a most enjoyable game

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/14/16 07:45 PM

BubbaJake: The Dark Path is like an appetizer for Braken Tor. The events at Braken Tor are mentioned in the game and some persons who where there.
So i hope you change your mind and give it a try.
After having played The Dark Path i want to play Braken Tor even more.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/15/16 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad

Yes, I had seen that post, BrownEyedTigre, but an alternative seller doesn't always mean an alternative to Steam. I've been caught by that in the past - so I was trying to make sure laugh

Hi BrownEyedTigre smile

Just wondering if you will be posting at Gameboomers if and when a non-Steam version is made available ??

[I've been checking the Shadow Tor Shop but not seen anything yet.]

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/15/16 11:08 PM

You betcha!

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/16/16 08:05 AM

Thanks Ana,
That would be great!

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/16/16 06:06 PM

You betcha!

Fantastic !! bravo
Thanks, BrownEyedTigre wave2
Posted By: frazap

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/18/16 10:15 AM

Couldn't wait for a non-STEAM version.:) At least the game turned out to be DRM-free in the STEAM sense of DRM-free. Maybe even DRM-free for real but I didn't try moving the game to another computer so not sure.

Highly recommended game btw!

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/18/16 02:39 PM

I'm glad you said in the STEAM sense of DRM-free frazap because Steam releases are certainly not in the TRUE sense DRM free !! rolleyes

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/18/16 03:07 PM

I'm glad you said in the STEAM sense of DRM-free frazap because Steam releases are certainly not in the TRUE sense DRM free !! rolleyes

Depends on ones own definition of DRM-free I guess. Some games are truly DRM-free once installed via the STEAM client. That is, the folder containing the installed game may be transfered to another hard drive and even another computer and still work completely independent of STEAM. That's good enough for me, but I guess only games that depend neither on the STEAM client or registry entries in Windows work this way.

But it is at least true that many games, especially adventure games, work without the client (with STEAM not even installed) once they are installed. But being forced to use the STEAM client to install the game in the first place is in those cases bad enough, I agree.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/18/16 05:29 PM

This is a clear definition of DRM Free, frazap, and it is the one I go by grin

DRM is usually tied to a client (like Steam or Origin).
Once you buy the game and install it with a key, the game gets tied to your account with that client and that key cannot be used to install it on any other accounts.

A game that is DRM-Free is a game that does not have any DRM scheme. It can be installed as many times on as many different machines as you want and is not tied to any account anywhere. The idea is that the publisher of that game trusts you, as an honest person, to not distribute their game en-masse. It's effectively the logical extreme of the old Shareware model.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/20/16 08:42 AM

This is a clear definition of DRM Free, frazap, and it is the one I go by grin

DRM is usually tied to a client (like Steam or Origin).
Once you buy the game and install it with a key, the game gets tied to your account with that client and that key cannot be used to install it on any other accounts.

A game that is DRM-Free is a game that does not have any DRM scheme. It can be installed as many times on as many different machines as you want and is not tied to any account anywhere. The idea is that the publisher of that game trusts you, as an honest person, to not distribute their game en-masse. It's effectively the logical extreme of the old Shareware model.

That is someone's definition on DRM-free, and I basically agree. But I don't mind using Steam as what can be called a download/install client, as long as the game once installed is not at all tied to the Steam account or the very computer it was first installed on. I'm just trying to say that some games aren't. One example is Contradiction. I bought it on Humble store, which gave me one DRM-free (in the pure sense) version and one Steam key for the game. The DRM-free version turned out to an old version so I installed the Steam one. Once installed you can shut down, even uninstall, Steam and move the folder containing the game to another computer. It still works. Giving me the exact same result as with the version downloaded directly from Humble store (only, in this case, bug free).

Very few games on Steam are like this though and I haven't tried moving the new Barrow Hill installation to another computer. But once installed at least it does not need the Steam client to run.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/20/16 04:53 PM

Well, as has been said so many times, frazap, the using of Steam is by personal decision and for me it is a definite "no" laugh

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/21/16 08:11 AM

Well, as has been said so many times, frazap, the using of Steam is by personal decision and for me it is a definite "no" laugh

I certainly respect that! I had that position myself no more than a year ago and I still basically consider Steam a game rental service in disguise. But there are games that I like to play and that are not available anywhere else so a while back I bit the bullet and signed up. But I still of course only buy a game from them if it's absolutely impossible to obtain in any other legal way and it's a game I simply have to play!

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/21/16 06:17 PM

I do have a very few games from Steam, frazap, even though I have always much disliked their "invasiveness" but following my purchase of a game from them (a long time ago) that had a massive technical fault and wouldn't run and for which no help whatsoever was forthcoming - not even the courtesy of a reply and certainly no offer of a refund - I decided on principle not to have anything more to do with them yes

Many people were in the same situation as I was with the game. It wasn't just me. And we were all equally disgusted frown

Having said that I know there are lots of people who are happy to use Steam - and I wish "good luck" to them all laugh

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/23/16 03:22 PM

I do have a very few games from Steam, frazap, even though I have always much disliked their "invasiveness" but following my purchase of a game from them (a long time ago) that had a massive technical fault and wouldn't run and for which no help whatsoever was forthcoming - not even the courtesy of a reply and certainly no offer of a refund - I decided on principle not to have anything more to do with them yes

Many people were in the same situation as I was with the game. It wasn't just me. And we were all equally disgusted frown

Having said that I know there are lots of people who are happy to use Steam - and I wish "good luck" to them all laugh

If you have a Steam account and don't like DRM i can report that The Dark Path is indeed completely DRM free once installed through Steam. Just moved the installation folder to a completely different computer (without a Steam client installed) and it seems to work perfectly.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/23/16 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info, frazap.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/23/16 06:36 PM

I'm glad, frazap, that you found a way to use Steam that works for you thumbsup
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/25/16 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: frazap
If you have a Steam account and don't like DRM i can report that The Dark Path is indeed completely DRM free once installed through Steam. Just moved the installation folder to a completely different computer (without a Steam client installed) and it seems to work perfectly.

Does it have to be moved to a different computer?

Could you move it to a different drive on the same computer and play it without using the Steam client?

Could you leave it installed in the same location and play it without using the Steam client?

Could you move it to a USB drive for storage, and then move it back at some later time and play it without using the Steam client?

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/28/16 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Reg

Does it have to be moved to a different computer?

Could you move it to a different drive on the same computer and play it without using the Steam client?

Could you leave it installed in the same location and play it without using the Steam client?

Could you move it to a USB drive for storage, and then move it back at some later time and play it without using the Steam client?

I believe the answer is yes to all three questions. I played it all the way through on the same computer I have Steam installed on but disabled the client. Then only tested the game on another computer briefly and it seemed to work. So the game seems to work without being dependent on Windows' registry or the Steam client.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/28/16 09:26 PM

Thanks, frazap.

Is disabling the client as simple as just exiting from the running program, or is it more involved than that?

Are there any other games that work like this one?

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/29/16 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Reg

Thanks, frazap.

Is disabling the client as simple as just exiting from the running program, or is it more involved than that?

Are there any other games that work like this one?

I think you have to rename the steam.exe in order for the game not to "connect" with the client. That's what I do anyway.

I'm replaying The Lost Crown (the enhanced Steam version) right now. It works without the client too (achievements doesn't work of course, but that's only a positive for me). Will try moving it to another computer and report back.

There are quite a few games that don't need the client once they are installed. But I'd guess not many of them work on a different computer from the one they were installed on due to dependency on Windows registry entries.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/29/16 08:10 PM

I think you have to rename the steam.exe in order for the game not to "connect" with the client. That's what I do anyway.

Is there somewhere else that you can learn little tricks like this? I don't remember seeing many details like this being discussed on this forum.

There are quite a few games that don't need the client once they are installed.

Is there any way to tell which games don't need the client before you buy them?

I apologize for all the questions, but this discussion keeps getting closer to converting a heretofore dyed-in-the-wool Steamophobe (I think I just coined a new word) like me. Any assistance that you can provide will and already has been greatly appreciated.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/29/16 10:08 PM

Here is a list of a lot of them.

Can we discuss Steam and non-game discussions off of game threads please so that we can discuss the actual games here and not technical issues? How to get things to run is a glitches item. Thank you!

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/31/16 02:46 PM

Well, I've just succumbed to Steam as I couldn't wait any longer to get The Dark Path. Took 2.5 hours to download (my slow broadband connection) but I know it's going to be worth it tonight when I turn the lights off and tell the dog to stop bothering me. The treat of the year in store.

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/31/16 03:01 PM

You will love it! And just right for Halloween night...

Re: Announcing Barrow Hill - The Dark Path - 10/31/16 07:37 PM

Hopefully, when the non-STEAM version is released, it will still be cold, dark nights lol

bat ghost2 bat ghost2 bat
© 2024 GameBoomers Community