GB HOMEPAGE

Do you ever abandon a game?

Posted By: nolalou

Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/04/17 05:38 PM

Just wondering if it's just me or has anyone abandoned playing a game? I've only done it a few times, but usually because I come across a frustratingly difficult puzzle that I cannot solve, and cannot get a saved game to pick up after that point. In some cases, games outcome depends on how you play, and using someone ease's saved game will give a different outcome. (or some games are not strictly linear, so a saved game from another player may not find you at the same point in the game).
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/04/17 05:41 PM

I never used to, but I find a lot of the newer games are not as engaging.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/04/17 06:10 PM

A definite "yes" from me !! yes

If I get bored to tears by a game I just don't see the sense in carrying on with it rolleyes

However, if there are no restrictions to my passing it on, I will do so, if only to a charity shop, as there's always the chance someone else might thoroughly enjoy it laugh
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/04/17 06:39 PM

Yes for me too. I gave up on Myst because it was just too tough for me and I really am not a big fan of first person games.
Posted By: The Haze

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/04/17 06:41 PM

I just posted on another thread that I abandoned "Eyes of ARA." Whenever a game becomes more work than fun (Which is not very often!) I'll quit. It's like reading 200 pages of a novel and realizing that you don't care what happens to any of the characters. I just find the next one.
Posted By: judith

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/04/17 07:24 PM

I abandoned "The Experiment" It was more work than fun.
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/04/17 08:01 PM

yep i have - paradise springs to mind , as well as black mirror 2.

neither game reeled me in .

paradise was glitchy ,and black mirror 2 was just too slow moving and lacked

the variety of interesting puzzles the first had.

the myst games were another - just couldn't get into the first ones.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/04/17 09:33 PM

I've mostly only abandoned games when the computer I was playing them on stopped working. I do have one on this computer (Conspiracies) that I haven't officially given up on but I haven't been back to it for a long while. I am stuck in it and can't move forward. I've never given up on one because I just didn't like it though.
Posted By: TJL

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/04/17 10:21 PM

Yes, I was forced to quit playing "JazzPunk" for really strong motion sickeness.

I was also near to quit "Stacking" for the same reason but managed to play it through playing only less than 20 minute sessions during several weeks of time. Didn't have guts to play many alternative solutions though.

Also quit playing "Deadly Premonition" for poor graphics on WQHD screen and poor gamepad controller feeling.

Timo
Posted By: Marian

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/04/17 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
A definite "yes" from me !! yes

If I get bored to tears by a game I just don't see the sense in carrying on with it rolleyes

Me too, although I don't like doing it. These days I tend to gravitate to tried-and-true favorites, because I already know what I am getting and invariably finish them.
Posted By: cybermom22

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/05/17 06:31 PM

I posted on another thread I hsve abandoned eyes of ara, frustrating and it was becoming my lifes work. after 7 hrs of accomplishing nothing, and just getting bored, I quit. I want a game I can move thru and see progress, not a game that was written for the NOT 'ordinary gamer' For anyone who is playing it - enjoy - I DIDNT.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/05/17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
I've mostly only abandoned games when the computer I was playing them on stopped working. I do have one on this computer (Conspiracies) that I haven't officially given up on but I haven't been back to it for a long while. I am stuck in it and can't move forward. I've never given up on one because I just didn't like it though.

How can you enjoy a game if you don't like it ?? woozy

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/05/17 09:12 PM

Well Mad, I guess I haven't TOTALLY disliked any game that I've played. There were parts of games I didn't like (fighting or boring or certain puzzles or getting motion sick) but I didn't dislike the game enough to just stop playing. Instead, what I may end up doing is using a walkthrough if that will help me to get to the end of the game sooner. I don't think I said I necessarily ENJOY them though. I just like to try to finish what I start, if I can.

Regarding the games on my non-working computers that I didn't finish, some are older games that won't play on Windows 7 like Alfred Hitchcock's: The Final Cut (I'm assuming that won't play on Win 7 but never actually tried it). The others were games that were giving me motion sickness so I haven't felt the urge to start them over (but may) or will try to continue if I ever get that computer fixed. One of the games was American McGee's Alice which I was actually liking a lot but I am not good at those type of games and wouldn't have been able to get much further in it anyway.
Posted By: colpet

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/05/17 10:29 PM

More times than I care to admit. When the fall of the first person adventures came, I tried to play some of the other adventures, more commonly described as 3rd person. I gave up on most of those including Grim Fandango, and Monkey Island 2 . That was at the start of my gaming hobby, and now I have a better handle on my taste in games.
Of my first person games that I didn't finish, most were due to glitches, though I never completed The Last Express nor Voyage because I just didn't like them.
Posted By: LadyKestrel

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/05/17 11:37 PM

There are two games I started but didn't finish, at least not yet. I recently was playing Spycraft: The Great Game on my older iMac when my built-in disc drive died. If I can find a compatible USB drive, I will finish the game, or else I"ll load it into my new iMac and start again. I also stopped playing Pegasus Prime because I lost all my saved games when moving to a different computer. I hope to get back to that one as well. I tend to take my time when playing a game and try to savor the moments. I guess I'm just lucky that as yet I haven't played a game I didn't like. smile
Posted By: CountZero

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/06/17 07:21 PM

The book of unwritten tales 2. It just felt like all I was doing was running chores. Maybe I will go back to it since I only completed chapter 1.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/06/17 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
Well Mad, I guess I haven't TOTALLY disliked any game that I've played.

Well I certainly can't say THAT !! rotfl
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/06/17 09:46 PM

When I first started playing adventure games (back when Windows 98 was current), I'd finish everything, even if I had to resort to Hints or a Walkthrough. I enjoyed most games, and nothing was bad enough that I couldn't finish it.

I certainly can't say the same now.

When I first started playing adventure games, there were...
  • No problems with motion sickness. Though nearly all Windows adventure games were first person at that time, they were point-and-clicks and did not use 3D movement.
  • No ruining immersion with pop-ups for so-called "Achievements."
  • No QTE's. There might be timed puzzles, which were annoying, but they weren't the impossible dexterity challenges you see today. They also didn't prevent you from viewing cut scenes the way QTE's do. (You always have to be watching for button command pop-ups with QTE's instead of being able to see what's happening in the game.)
  • Save games were easily transferrable and were located in the game folder -- not spread in locations all over the hard drive. It was easy to back up your saves.
  • Action/adventures were easy to spot. Adventure games might be miscategorized, but you could usually tell what you were getting from the game box.
There are a lot more reasons for me to stop playing a game now than there used to be. Skipping some obnoxious QTE with a save is more difficult when the game doesn't allow saves to be transferred, and usually isn't worth the effort.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/06/17 09:57 PM

Very well expressed, Jenny. I may well be showing my age here, but I rather wish we were still in the 1990s when it comes to adventure games. There were so many good ones.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/07/17 01:51 AM

If I'd started playing what passes for "adventure games" now instead of back in the late 1990's, I don't know if I'd have continued. The signal to noise ratio has gotten so low, and very few of the games I started with are available (and reasonably bug-free) for modern systems. The re-releases of Cryo and Arxel games are often cut down to the point where they're not worth playing. Even if I found something I liked, it would be too difficult for a newbie to know where to look to find more.

It's not that there's nothing being released that I enjoy -- There are Botanicula/Samorost type games, pixel art games, and a few casuals. But it would be extremely hard for a new player to realize what an "adventure game" is supposed to be given that everything from so-called "walking simulators" to Telltale-style QTE games to platformers-with-a-story is being called an "adventure game."

How is a would-be player supposed to find games when their dexterity is lower than developers think is possible and 3D game engines with "free-roaming" movement make them too sick to play? There's a reason why casual games of various types are the most popular genre. They're the only genre that recognizes that people like this exist. Now if only they'd stop "talking down" to players by congratulating them for every little thing and constantly blocking the screen to tell them what to do next with pop-up and slide-in messages.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/07/17 05:07 AM

Yes, give me a Windows 98 computer and the adventure games that played on that, and I would be a completely happy gamer. wave

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/07/17 04:24 PM

As the absolutely glorious Adventure releases of the 1990s started to dwindle, I decided to experiment and at least try to diversify yes

So I investigated RPGs (with turn based combat and reputedly decent story lines) and was amazed to find that not only could I manage some of them but I actually enjoyed those I could manage !! laugh

I also looked at Casuals but was disappointed with those until after I discovered that not ALL of them were solely hidden object searches happydance

Obviously a return to the fabulous Adventure games of the 1990s would be fantastic - but sadly it's very unlikely likely to happen. However, GOG's catalogue of "oldies tweaked for modern machines" is growing all the time so there's some compensation to be had there hamster
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/07/17 04:33 PM

I uninstalled Guild Wars 2 (darkside) and Ankh 3. Lost interest in both.
I still have many other games either on disks or downloaded I haven't even started yet. Only one started but not finished yet is now Cognition chapter 4.
Posted By: sureshot

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/07/17 07:07 PM

Good Subject !! I thought I was alone !!

I would say that of the games I purchased, that have be released in the past few years, I have abandoned just about all of them for one reason or another. I try to give them a shot but they fall flat real fast. smirk

I find a lot of them are hard to navigate and I wind up fighting a keyboard; dialog trees getting long winded and boring; graphics that look like stick drawings and are much too cartoony and corny; and puzzles that are way off the beam and have nothing to do with the storyline. woozy

Then there are some games that require you to have a "Super Computer" in order to play them. I won't even consider a game I buy that requires a STEAM account and where I have to install their client on my nice clean, powerful, safe machine - but I bet if I did, I would have purchased more games to abandon then I care to play. smashpc

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/07/17 09:43 PM

Games I've enjoyed aren't limited to 1990's releases. The 1990's was certainly when the bulk of them came out, but there were games from the early 2000's (Keepsake, Myst III, Schizm) that are among my favorites, and there were some games from the late 1980's that I enjoyed.

So I investigated RPGs (with turn based combat and reputedly decent story lines) and was amazed to find that not only could I manage some of them but I actually enjoyed those I could manage !!

I'm glad you were able to find a replacement. The trouble with RPG's for me is the repetition. You have to "build" your character(s) before he/she/they can go certain places and progress in the game, usually by fighting and defeating enemies. I don't usually have patience for all that repetition. On the positive side, at least you can eventually make progress -- unlike certain recent "adventure games" that include dexterity challenges that are dead ends even if you're using a walkthrough.

Obviously a return to the fabulous Adventure games of the 1990s would be fantastic - but sadly it's very unlikely likely to happen.

It won't. Gordon Aplin's "Shadow of the Monster" article is as true now as it ever was.
http://www.metzomagic.com/showArticle.php?index=456

Unfortunately the availability of 3D game engines means players who get motion sickness from 3D movement get left out, and aren't able to play recent first person puzzle-adventures (like Obduction or Quern) without getting sick -- a whole sub-genre gone useless. Despite that some people posted in the Obduction forum asking if it would be possible to skip the transitions, this feature doesn't seem to have been implemented. They tried to make "field of view" adjustable, but field of view" has to be "just right," not too wide or too narrow, and be coupled with other graphics features. Field of view adjustment alone isn't going to help everyone. Even people who don't normally get motion sick in FPS games have gotten sick in Obduction
https://www.reddit.com/r/Obduction/comments/4zvbx8/best_fov_to_reduce_motion_sickness/

However, GOG's catalogue of "oldies tweaked for modern machines" is growing all the time so there's some compensation to be had there

GOG tweaks for compatibility, not optimal gameplay.
Unless you want to play a game the size of a postage stamp, you may have to tweak anyway.
Not all GOG games work properly. For example, their version of Myst does not work on any of my computers. I've stopped buying games I already own from GOG "just to support them." I do not want "Galaxy hooks" in the games I play, and would prefer to buy DRM-free games elsewhere because of "Galaxy hooks" being added to GOG games.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/08/17 07:56 PM

Oh my favourites aren’t limited to the 1990’s either Jenny100 but I feel that that was when the bulk of the best Adventures was released yes

And the required character building in RPG’s doesn’t bother me that much as long as the game has a strong storyline smile

As for tweaked releases from Gog ??
I’ve had very few problems with any of them (and I’ve purchased many) and any small glitches I have experienced have been promptly resolved by their support people.

I don’t know what "Galaxy hooks" are woozy I’ve never used Galaxy. I just download games from GOG using IE.
However, I must admit “Myst” games are not anything I would buy.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/13/17 07:11 PM

And the required character building in RPG’s doesn’t bother me that much as long as the game has a strong storyline

It's the amount of repetition that bothers me. One advantage adventure games used to have was that the puzzles weren't all the same and you had a variety of non-dexterity-dependent puzzles.

Quote:
As for tweaked releases from Gog ??
I’ve had very few problems with any of them (and I’ve purchased many) and any small glitches I have experienced have been promptly resolved by their support people.

GB members have complained in Glitches forum about problems like postage-stamp-size game windows in GOG games that use DOSBox or ScummVM. The screen settings can be adjusted in the DOSBox or ScummVM configuration that ships with the game, but doing so is too difficult for some gamers. It would be better if GOG had an installer for games that use DOSBox or ScummVM that could detect the monitor resolution during the installation, allow the user to confirm, and then size the game window accordingly instead of using a "one size fits all" or "one size fits most" approach.

Quote:
I don’t know what "Galaxy hooks" are. I’ve never used Galaxy. I just download games from GOG using IE.

Galaxy hooks are built into recent GOG releases (and re-releases) regardless of whether you have Galaxy installed or not, and regardless of whether you download the game using Galaxy or not. Galaxy hooks allow communication between Galaxy and the game and may be needed for online games. They have no purpose in offline games other than collecting information about how you play the game, what version of Windows, Mac, or Linux you used, patching, etc.

Unless you've archived a version of a GOG game that existed before Galaxy was introduced and before the game exe's started being "updated" to include the hooks, your game may have Galaxy hooks.

Galaxy hooks are one reason patches may be late at GOG, since the patch for the generic DRM-free version has to be tweaked for the GOG version because of Galaxy integration.

Galaxy hooks will conflict with software firewalls that are built for security rather than convenience. Oldmariner ran into this and reported on it, and I've seen other gamers report on it on other forums. As soon as you click the shortcut to start the game, the Galaxy hooks will reach out and try to connect with Galaxy. If you don't have Galaxy installed, the hooks won't be able to connect with Galaxy, and according to GOG, will just give up and the game will start. But if you have a software firewall built for user control rather than simplicity, part of its purpose is to block data from passing from your computer to the Internet without user permission -- and a firewall like this will block the Galaxy hooks, which prevents the game from starting. The game won't start unless the Galaxy hooks are allowed to do their probing. This raises the question of how the Galaxy hooks are actually functioning. Are they trying to open ports to the Internet that the software firewall is blocking?

Some firewalls that claim to block outbound traffic will be pre-configured for "simplicity" and let some traffic out by default, without prompting the user, in order to make things "simpler" for the user. More secure firewalls that always ask the user will block the Galaxy hooks though -- or at least prompt the user for whether to let them through, maybe giving the user the option to save the setting for the future.

Why wouldn't you just do this and shut up your yap as long as the game starts? Maybe you don't want Galaxy or its "hooks" collecting information about you. Maybe you have no use for Galaxy and don't want the "hooks" reaching out and possibly communicating with unknown servers out on the Internet. Maybe you want the original un-doctored game you paid for. Maybe you don't trust a company you suspect is trying to track your use of your legally purchased game.

If you buy a GOG game that uses DOSBox or ScummVM, the Galaxy hooks will probably be integrated in the DOSBox or ScummVM part of the game rather than the original game files. That means you can probably configure the game to work with an original, un-Galaxied version of DOSBox or ScummVM.

Most people don't use software firewalls and so they have no idea what's going on, and some firewalls are designed to be "leaky" for "simplicity" sake and those won't alert the user to the presence of Galaxy hooks.

If you want to be sure a GOG game is not "reporting" to the Internet, with or without Galaxy, you have to disconnect your computer from the Internet before starting the game.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/13/17 09:13 PM

Well, Jenny100, I'm very sorry to hear that some people ARE experiening difficulties with GOG games.

I've never used Galaxy myself nor have I suffered from any Galaxy related problems to date.

All I ever do, and have ever done, is just download the setup files from Gog using IE and burn them to disk. And away I go !!

[I use the latest Norton security - and always have used Norton.]

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/13/17 09:35 PM

Norton's firewall is one of those that is "preconfigured" to let certain traffic through without prompting the user. Not everyone wants that, though Norton thinks the bulk of their users don't want to be bothered with questions about whether to let a probe through or not. Those people who want to know when their computer is letting something through their firewall might be better served with a different firewall (or maybe Norton has an optional "advanced" configuration that gives the user more control). Galaxy hooks may not be in all GOG games (yet) but the fact that you don't see Galaxy hooks being blocked with Norton's firewall doesn't mean they aren't there.

I don't want anything installed with my game that isn't part of the game. That means no tracking and no "Galaxy hooks" and I'm not at all happy that GOG has added this junk to games that didn't have it when I purchased them.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/13/17 10:42 PM

I understand how you feel, Jenny100, but I'm not technically confident enough to fiddle with many things myself - and certainly not stuff like advanced Firewall settings eek

However, since I was first connected to the internet I have NEVER (thus far, touch wood) suffered a virus or malware, so I feel my 20 year trust in Norton combined with using my own common sense has been successful.
[And I should add that my Son in Law, who IS a techie, has also always checked my machines periodically, with programmes other than Norton, and he has never found anything evil either thumbsup]

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/13/17 11:01 PM

This isn't about viruses. I wasn't suggesting you tinker with your firewall, just trying to explain why some firewalls block GOG's Galaxy hooks and some don't.

This has gone way off the topic of abandoning a game, which I'm sure we've all done numerous times.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/14/17 04:39 PM

Yes. Badly off topic redface
Posted By: frazap

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/14/17 05:36 PM

I, who hate everything DRM, don't have any problem with GOG Galaxy whatsoever. The games are there for you to download and play without touching the client if you want. Which kind of brings me on-topic...:) Right now I'm playing the original (GOG) version of Ether One, which can only be downloaded as an extra to the Ether One Redux. Thought I had encountered a bug in the Redux version, which turned out not to be the case, but anyway.

Ether One is one of the best games I've played in recent years. it may be completed in probably a couple of hours if you approach it as a "walking simulator" but for the full experience you need to solve a lot of puzzles and they are in some cases extremely hard! I'm almost 25 hours into it and just refuse to give up, even though I have no idea how to solve the few things that are left to solve. It's just too good even for simply ignoring those last pieces of the story and just finish the game. And it's definitely too good to spoil by using a walkthrough.:) Looking forward to firing up the game again when I get home even though I have no clue as what to do to move things forward.

I rarely give up on games even if I consider them to be pretty bad. Once I've accepted the challenge I want to complete what I've started. I'm a completest type of person. The only thing that's affected by the game's quality is the willingness (or unwillingness) to consult a walkthrough (I hate doing so). But it happens that games remain half-way played on the computer for other reasons than me actively deciding to quit. Sometimes life gets in the way and I rather start the game from the beginning some day in the future than continuing a game I haven't played for a while.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/14/17 07:32 PM

That's "proper" game playing, frazap !!!! wink

Well Done You laugh
Posted By: frazap

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/15/17 10:06 AM

That's "proper" game playing, frazap !!!! wink

Well Done You laugh

smile
Posted By: lexxy

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/16/17 01:11 PM

I too had to give up on Myst as it was too hard. I still have the game and I may revisit it one day. smashpc
Posted By: Billy the Kid 64

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/16/17 06:17 PM

I would just like to add that sometimes when I get stuck and tried everthing possible to continue I will walk away from it for a day go back and find the problem.Don't no why but seems to work.Playing obduction for three weeks and sometimes don't have a clue where I am and what I'm doing.I am still playing and get a little farther every day.Very interesting game,but hard.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/16/17 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy the Kid 64
I would just like to add that sometimes when I get stuck and tried everthing possible to continue I will walk away from it for a day go back and find the problem.Don't no why but seems to work.

This happens to me too, more often than not. I recommend this approach when getting stuck in a game. wave

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/16/17 11:55 PM

Doesn't work so well for me. My mind will get in a rut in its way of thinking about how to solve a puzzle, and by the time it's out of the rut I'll have forgotten everything about the game and have to start over -- and then I'll usually get stuck even earlier in the game than the first time I tried it.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/17/17 04:32 AM

Jenny100 !!!! Is that really true ?? I can hardly believe it !! lol
Posted By: nolalou

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/21/17 10:16 PM

That's one of my problems, if I put a game away for too long, I forget the plot, characters, etc.
Some games are nice enough to give you a review of your progress, unfinished tasks, etc, which may help, but that's not always available.
Posted By: Billy the Kid 64

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/22/17 07:17 PM

I will say that I walked away many times in obduction,still lost so I MUST ADD MY NAME TO A GAME I ABANDONED.
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/24/17 01:07 AM

I must admit that I recently gave up on both Obduction and Quern. Both were magnificent games, but simply too complex for me. I'm not a Myst person, although I'm a big fan of both Riven and Myst III.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/24/17 06:51 AM

I'm not a Myst person either.

The only one I ever managed to play right through to the end was Myst Exile.

I did have a good stab at the Uru games but had to give up on them eventually.

I abandoned every other Myst I attempted at some stage, too.

And there were some I didn't even have the heart to start !! redface

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/24/17 04:59 PM

The only one I ever managed to play right through to the end was Myst Exile.

Myst III: Exile is the one that was made by Presto, makers of the Journeyman Project games. Presto made some good games.

I can't say I finished any of the Myst games without cheating, but I did finish them.

I am not able to replay Myst V due to motion sickness. I did finish it around the time it was first released, but that was using a CRT monitor. Widescreen monitors make motion sickness much worse. I very much regret not buying a couple of high end CRT monitors back when they could still be bought new.

I didn't have a problem with motion sickness in Uru when playing in 3rd person (follow cam), even with a widescreen monitor, and I've replayed it about 7 times now.

I couldn't play Obduction. Motion sickness was too awful to play for more than a minute. Though Cyan took some peoples' suggestions for controls that might diminish motion sickness, they didn't take mine (or the suggestions of most other people who get motion sickness).

I ended up watching (actually listening to and occasionally glancing at) a YouTube playthrough of Obduction. What a depressing end -- both endings. There was also a terrible "puzzle" that the YouTube person mentioned was where a lot of people gave up -- a sort of "slider" type puzzle where you had to take an elevator and run down a tunnel every time you made a move, then run back and take the elevator again to see whether your move did what you wanted. Not my idea of fun. Not the YouTube uploader's idea of fun either, though he was apparently able to do most of the puzzle in his head so he didn't have to run around as much as I would have.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/24/17 05:10 PM

I have started a couple of Myst games but never actually completed one. My neighbor told me he finished Riven without a walkthrough but that it took him 2 years to do it - talk about patience!
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/24/17 11:43 PM

Wow, 2 years to finish the game, it took more than patience, it also requires a good memory to remember where you were and what you did. It took me 3 months to finish Myst in my younger days and I only needed a walkthrough for the ending Ride, were you had to go E,W,N,S... etc.
Speaking of Myst, does anybody remember the Original Myst game where there was glitch that allowed you to finish the game in 5 minutes or less, I tried it and it worked, I do not remember what it was though, but I believe the original walkthough might show it.

As far as quitting games before finishing them, yes, most of the other Myst games and a few others I cannot remember. Some of them as *Jenny100 pointed out was due to the Spinning around motion that made me sea-sick.

*I believe it was Jenny100 that said this, my apologies if I got the wrong person.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/25/17 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Starcom
Speaking of Myst, does anybody remember the Original Myst game where there was glitch that allowed you to finish the game in 5 minutes or less, I tried it and it worked, I do not remember what it was though, but I believe the original walkthough might show it.

That's not a "glitch", it's a cheat. It's not something you could do by accident, and not something you'd know to do without finding all the pages for at least one brother -- which means you'd have had to solve each Age at least once. Unless you used the cheat.

If you want to skip past a game and see the ending, there are many games that have cheats that allow you to skip to the end. Usually it involves pressing a hotkey and entering a command, but sometimes it's something unusual you can do in the game that can suddenly dump you at the end.

Myst V did have a bug/glitch where you could accidentally miss most of the game -- and it was easy to do. You can read oldbroad's description of the bug ***here***

Originally Posted By: Starcom
As far as quitting games before finishing them, yes, most of the other Myst games and a few others I cannot remember. Some of them as *Jenny100 pointed out was due to the Spinning around motion that made me sea-sick.

*I believe it was Jenny100 that said this, my apologies if I got the wrong person.

I don't know if it was me or not, though I've certainly quit games due to motion sickness. I never used to get sick from node-based games with panning (like the Kheops games) until I got a widescreen monitor. I'm much more prone to motion sickness with a widescreen monitor, even if it's only panning with no forward movement.

What I've always had trouble with, even when using a CRT, are first person games with FPS-type movement, like Myst V, Obduction, and many other recent first person games like Ether One, Portal, Among the Sleep, and Dear Esther.

In contrast, 3D Games where you follow behind your character (for example, Outcast, the 1996 Tomb Raider, or Uru in 3rd person) don't bother me unless the camera follows too close, or is zooming in and out all the time. The motion sickness seems to be caused by how objects move in relation to each other -- if the camera is pulled back enough and is high enough, the movement is natural enough that I don't get sick.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/25/17 03:31 AM

That puzzle Jenny100 described in Obduction sounds absolutely horrible.

One thing that makes me feel sick in a game is when I have to get right up on top of something to interact with it, such as a doorknob. I did not used to get motion sick so much playing games before as I do now.
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/25/17 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Widescreen monitors make motion sickness much worse. I very much regret not buying a couple of high end CRT monitors back when they could still be bought new.

Some widescreen monitors can be set to Picture format - 4:3 in the menu. It can also sometimes be set in the monitor option in the Windows control panel, depending on the graphics card. That way, you get the same aspect ratio as on a CRT monitor, which most likely will reduce motion sickness. This method is also very useable for older games that display in a stretched-out format on widescreen monitors.

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

Myst III: Exile is the one that was made by Presto, makers of the Journeyman Project games. Presto made some good games.

Myst III is very Presto-like, and at the same time true to the Myst series. They did an excellent job there!

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/25/17 10:21 AM

Journeyman Project III - Legacy of Time - was my favourite of the series and is one of the best loved games in my collection smile

I'm not very good with "gadget operating" though so the first two Journeyman games were rather a struggle lol
Posted By: The Haze

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/25/17 04:21 PM

I like this thread because it shows how different we all are. I have bailed on a few games, but I loved all the MYST games and still think that URU is the best game ever made. I'm not knocking any of the above-stated opinions. I just like the idea that gamers are a really diverse bunch.

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/25/17 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: The Haze
I like this thread because it shows how different we all are. I have bailed on a few games, but I loved all the MYST games and still think that URU is the best game ever made.

I like them too. Even when the puzzles are too much for me, I enjoy exploring the imaginative environments in the Myst games.

I wish Cyan had made another single-player game before releasing Uru. Not many Myst fans had fast enough Internet for the online version in 2003. 2003 was too early for an online game like Uru, and it didn't really have a chance.

Originally Posted By: Mikael
Some widescreen monitors can be set to Picture format - 4:3 in the menu. It can also sometimes be set in the monitor option in the Windows control panel, depending on the graphics card. That way, you get the same aspect ratio as on a CRT monitor, which most likely will reduce motion sickness. This method is also very usable for older games that display in a stretched-out format on widescreen monitors.

I've used that to prevent games from being horizontally stretched. But unfortunately it doesn't work to reduce motion sickness. Maybe because the black bars at the sides on a widescreen are the same distance from your eyes as the rest of the screen (as opposed to seeing around the sides of a 4:3 screen) or maybe there is something about new LCD screens themselves.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/26/17 02:46 PM

I do remember feeling bad not being able to finish Myst and Riven. Myst was just too hard for me and in the process of playing Riven I discovered that I really was more of a fan of third person games.
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 02/28/17 06:06 AM

I never used to abandon a game for any reason. Decades ago, there weren't that many good ones for adventure players, so if you bailed, what then? These days, I am more prone to give up on a game if it turns out to be too "action" oriented but I didn't know this before buying it. Sometimes, you don't hear about that in players' comments because they don't mind or else they enjoy the stress. I can't take all that jumping and timed stuff and shooting.

So, for the first 25 years of gaming, I never quit a game until I'd finished it.
In the last five years, I have bailed on at least one game per year.
Posted By: LeBelleRachael

Re: Do you ever abandon a game? - 03/01/17 04:44 AM

Just abandoned Dreamfall Chapter!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community