GB HOMEPAGE

Remake of Morpheus

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 04:18 AM

The son of the developer that created Morpheus is now doing a remake for today's computers and mobile platforms.

The website is located Here.

There is an interactive gallery here.

Check out the update videos here.

Ana wave
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 04:58 AM

Well this is exciting news as Morpheus was one of my favorite games. Not much on the web page except pictures. I can't find anything that states its a real remake which to me would be updated graphics, resolutions and wide screen or just making the old game work on newer systems like using an emulator which would have the original graphics and 4:3 screen size. I am not a Twicher or Tweeter so maybe they explain more there.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 06:08 AM

Interesting news, Ana. wave

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 03:02 PM

You can see what they are doing on the videos here.

Greyfuss, the screens are playable if you click on them.

I've invited him to come stop in, so hopefully he will register and post.

Ana wave
Posted By: judith

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 06:44 PM

That is fantastic news, I loved that game & still have the old cd's.
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 07:28 PM

I never played the original.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 07:36 PM

It's a good game, Guybrush; I think you would enjoy it.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 08:45 PM

Wow !! I remember this one as a really good Adventure !! thumbsup
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 08:57 PM

I never played it and don't have it.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
I never played it and don't have it.

I think you'd enjoy it.
Maybe not with the web-based interface though.
And I thought the graphics looked grainy even back when I played it, so a version with higher resolution graphics would have an advantage.

There was a casual game with a similar story -- Emerald Maiden: Symphony of Dreams -- where you are on what appears to be an elaborate Titanic-like steamer from the early 1900's, and can travel to different worlds. Morpheus and Emerald Maiden had that in common. Morpheus did it better though. Even with the grainy graphics, the places you visited had more atmosphere, and some were genuinely creepy.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/08/17 10:50 PM

It sounds good Jenny100.
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/14/17 01:15 AM

Loved Morpheus
If they get around to remastering as stated, even better!!
Posted By: sanford

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/14/17 06:52 AM

Loved this also. I believe that I have the original version on my shelf. Right now I have reinstalled and playingsMOEBIUS,
that I purchased from GOG. This was also a great adventure game, together with Mag's walkthrough to help me.
Unfortunately, nobody is writing a text/image WT anymore, so I really can't play the new games any longer. I can't keep up with the Video walkthroughs.
BTW, I haven't seen Mag here in a long time. I hope she is well and enjoying what I think is retirement?
Sandy

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/14/17 11:29 AM

MaG is well, Sandy! hearts

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/15/17 05:15 AM

Thanks so much, Ana.I was concerned, but I feel better about it now.
Regards,
Sandy
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/15/17 02:20 PM

I don't like video walkthroughs, its like playing the game twice. And you may have to sit through more than one to find the one that applies to where you're stuck. I only did that with one game and that was enough for me.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/15/17 02:28 PM

I think most of us prefer written walkthroughs. But more and more walkthroughs are videos ones rather than written, and sometimes now it's one of the few ways left to get help or to get past a stuck point.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 10/15/17 06:07 PM

Gameboomers has two written walkthroughs for the original Morpheus...
a four part walkthrough by Linda Shaw from July 1998
(older than Gameboomers I think)
http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcMm/MorphLS1.htm
http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcMm/MorphLS/MorphLS2.htm
http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcMm/MorphLS/MorphLS3.htm
http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcMm/MorphLS/MorphLS4.htm

and one by Dan Kennedy from December 2001
http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcMm/Morpheus.htm

Whether these would help with the online version I don't know.
Posted By: MorpheusDev

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/28/18 03:32 PM

Greetings, just found this thread and wanted to chime in on details for the Morpheus remake I have been working on.

- This is a faithful 1:1 remake of the original game
- Currently using the original released-to-CD assets
- I am building apps which wrap the web page into something which feels like a native application for mac, PC, linux, iOS and Android
- I plan on releasing to the various app stores for a nominal (<$5) price, but it's never really been about the money. I'll probably keep it free to play on the website in some fashion
- I have most of the original unmastered, uncompressed Morpheus assets and 3D models. After releasing the game, my next project will be to remaster all of the assets in to a high resolution version (Morpheus HD)

The game is ~95% complete. I am currently writing a fully automated play through of the entire game before a final re-write of the rendering engine to increase performance and reduce memory usage. There are a couple of bugs that block the player. The game also needs a little more polish (loading screen, start screen, do something other than crash at the end of the game, etc...).

Here are some ways you can follow the development:
- On Twitter https://twitter.com/dev_morpheus
- On Itch.io https://soapbubble.itch.io/
- On Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MorpheusGame/
- On Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyuVxOQF3M2d1Q2U65GSaVw

The game engine I wrote in pursuit of remaking Morpheus is open source https://github.com/soap-bubble/morpheus. Later on I'll add some more documentation and tools for creating new games in the style of Morpheus.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/28/18 03:41 PM

welcome to GameBoomers! THank you for stopping in and updating us! Sounds wonderful!

Ana wave

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/28/18 03:42 PM

welcome to GameBoomers, MorpheusDev. I am one of those who played the original release. Thank you for all of that information.
Posted By: Marinus_Louis

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/28/18 04:48 PM

Hi

I did a written walkthrough for the original Morpheus game some years ago, but I do not have it anymore. I would love to do a completely new text walkthrough for the new Morpheus game as it gets released and I even could do it in English.

About walkthroughs......

It's not true that there aren't any real walkthrough writers anymore. I'm one and I'm at it for about 27 years now. True.....my walkthroughs are mostly in the Dutch language, but I could do English to, when I'm asked nicely. And there is always Google Translate

It's all about money.....games cost money and I most have the game to do a walkthrough for it. But even with gog.com I can't afford to buy 10, 20 0r 30 games each year. My annual budget for buying games isn't that big, so there are chooses to be made witch game I buy and witch game I don't buy

My walkthrough site gets hundreds of visitors each day, from all over the world, and they all use my walkthroughs. A few years back I had a PayPal button on my site, so people good donate me a few euros or dollars to show there appreciation and to Up my budget,.... no one ever did.

Perhaps this is something you could think about when you ask for a text walkthroughs for a game here. Would you be willing to pay for a text walkthrough?, so the writer of it would get something of his/here cost back in return......Just a thought...

Marinus_Louis

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/28/18 07:03 PM

Also just an FYI that you can download the original Morpheus (packaged in a DOSBox emulator) for free at http://collectionchamber.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/morpheus.html. Quicktime 3 and the game in general do not run very well in the emulator environment (static in sound and a flickering mouse cursor) but it is the best way to run the original Morpheus on modern PCs.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/28/18 09:26 PM

Very cool... looking forward to this!

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/01/18 03:25 PM

Hi

If you're playing the old Morpeus game and are in need of a good text walkthrough with screenshots, than perhaps you can use my Morpheus walkthrough that someone just sent back to me. I've made this one in 2002 and it's now on my site again at www.pcgameswalkthroughs.nl It's in Dutch but, I say it again, you could use a translation service to translate it for you in your language. Or you could ask me nicly if I could do an English translation for it

Happy gaming

Marinus_Louis

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/01/18 05:50 PM

Well, I will ask you VERY nicely. And I'm sure I'll only be the first !! smile

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/01/18 08:40 PM

Well dear Mad, I ask for it, so I have to deliver. Problem is I do not have the Morpeus game anymore, so I can not replay it to check if my old walkthrough is accurate. It is 15 years ago that I made that walkthrough. So it has to be a pure translation of the walkthrough. I go do it after I have finished with Lighthouse, I suspect that that's the case within a day or two now

Happy gaming

Marinus_Louis

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/01/18 09:43 PM

Whenever you can manage it will be just fine, Marinus_Louis thumbsup

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/04/18 02:44 PM

Hi Mad

As promised....I have finished the Lighthouse wt, so I started the English translation of my old Morpheus wt to day. A have upload a first bit to my site. You can find it if you go to my site at www.pcgameswalkthroughs.nl and there click the link ENGLISH VERSION to get to my English page. I would appreciate feedback about the bit a have just translated into English. I can not replay the game because I do not have it anymore, and it has been 15 years ago that I made the Dutch Morpheus walkthrough. So, I can not check if it all make sense what I write. My memory of the game is practicaly none

Happy gaming

Marinus_Louis

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/06/18 05:02 AM

Hi again Louis,
I just looked at your newly added Morpheus WT, and even though I have played this game at least twice, when the new version is released I WILL get it, and all because of your amazing WT. Thanks again for being here for us.
Sandy

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/06/18 08:05 PM

Hi Marinus_Louis smile

I just peeked at your English translation of your Morpheus walkthrough and it looks splendid to me !! So thank you very much grin

I no longer have the "original" game but do intend to buy the new version once it's released and I'm sure your walkthrough will prove to be very helpful yes

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/06/18 08:27 PM

Hi Mad

Thanks for your feed back....I go on with the English wt then......

I do have the new version of Morpheus on my wishlist and if it's possible I shall then improve theMorpheus walkthrough with a lot more screenshots. It was a nice game to play. Someone is sending me the original game CD's this week, but it is not certain that the game wil install or play on my Windows 8.1 pc...We shall see.

Marinus_Louis

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/06/18 08:47 PM

Marinus your link above is wrong... pchames instead of pcgames......

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/07/18 07:29 AM

Thanks Winfrey....I have correct it. Need a pair of new glasses for reading text on a computer screen fast

Marinus_Louis

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/07/18 02:43 PM

Today I got the original Morpheus Cd's from 1998. But alas......it will not work with the 64 bit version of Windows 8.1 that I have. The original Morpheus is 16 bits or 32 bits and that won't work on 64x machines. Tried comptability mode but that won't work either. You can safeley assume that this old game will also not work with Windows 10, but I can't try this because my Windows 10 machine doesn't have a cd/dvd-drive. So...I'll have to wait until the release of the remake version

Marinus_Louis

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/07/18 03:02 PM

Did you try it with VMware?

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/07/18 04:35 PM

Hi Jenny100

No, I do not have any virtual machine software installed on my computers. Years ago I would have done this but now I do not bother anymore. Now days I think "You win some, You loose some". Guess I'm getting old. I'll wait for the remake of Morpheus and for now I just do an English translation of the old Dutch walkthrough, such as it is. I shall sent the two Morpheus CD's back to the person who was so kind to sent them to me to try it out.

Marinus_Louis

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 03/07/18 05:28 PM

The original Morpheus will not run on 64bit hardware because it depends on Quicktime 3 which does not work on 64 bit machines. In order to play the original morpheus, you will need a virtual machine. Or you can go and download Morpheus packaged in a runnable emulator at http://collectionchamber.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/morpheus.html.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 01/08/19 10:25 PM

WOW, MorpheusDev,
I have it now, and it's running perfectly on mt WIN 10 64 Bit PC. Thank you so much, and welcome to Gameboomers.
Sandy

Louis, thank you also for your English version WT of Morpheus. I just printed it out (all chapters).

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 01/22/19 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: sanford
WOW, MorpheusDev,
I have it now, and it's running perfectly on mt WIN 10 64 Bit PC. Thank you so much, and welcome to Gameboomers.

Great! I have the web version running nearly 100% as well: https://morpheus.soapbubble.online

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 01/23/19 02:00 AM

What is soap bubble?

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 01/23/19 02:12 AM

I think Soap Bubble is the name of the developer.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 01/23/19 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Winfrey
What is soap bubble?

The link in the original post that says Official Website is the Soap Bubble developers website.
Quote:
About Soap Bubble Productions
Soap Bubble Productions is a small game company that developed the game Morpheus which was released in 1998.
We are attempting to re-release Morpheus as a web game, playable on all modern desktops. The game has been completely rewritten from scratch while re-using the existing game assets. Eventually, we would like to remaster the game assets.

Ana wave

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 01/23/19 02:47 AM

It's very nice to see this game getting a new lease on life. wave

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 01/24/19 02:02 AM

The web version seems to work well.
How do I save etc? The dot top left has various options but none that resonate with my ever older brain woozy

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 01/27/19 07:50 AM

The game should autosave automatically to the browser you load the game in. If you press the top-left button you are given the option to login with a google account. If you so that you can create multiple saves with "New Cloud Save". These saves are accessible on any browser (once you login) by clicking on the "Load..." button.

If you have any problems with the game, they can usually be resolved by reloading the game from the menu or by simply reloading the browser webpage (Ctrl R / Cmd R).

That menu is not final... just something I threw together quickly to expose these functions.

Update It appears the cloud save might be broken. I'll look into that. In the meantime the game should still autosave correctly

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/01/19 02:10 AM

Many thanks MD
Posted By: dianne

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/01/19 06:44 AM

I have not played Morpheus so this remake of Morpheus will all be new to me. and I thank Marinus_louis for all the English walkthroughs.sometimes if there is only a dutch walkthrough I can figure it out by looking at the pictuers. smile
Posted By: Cookie

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/01/19 09:37 AM

Hi everyone!

I've just tried to interact with some image but I only see the top-left button on a BLACK screen smirk
Can anyone tell me why? I'm using Firefox and my Google account.
Is there any restriction for European countries?

Thanks wave2

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/13/19 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Cookie
Hi everyone!
I've just tried to interact with some image but I only see the top-left button on a BLACK screen smirk

The best browser is Chrome. At one time I was making Chrome specific builds but I am back to making it more cross platform. That being said I only every develop and test on Chrome. If you are still having problems, can you please send me any errors that are appearing in your javascript console (Tools -> Web Developer -> Web Console).

There should be no issues loading from EU, other than the fact that the assets load from Washington USA (so a very long ways away). I have plans to cloudfront all of the assets which will push them to edge cache servers and make the asset loads faster. Until then you just need to be patient.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/14/19 02:05 AM

I am a little confused about this remake...is this only going to be a browser game or will there be a downloaded version?

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/14/19 03:57 AM

It will be able to be played via browser Greyfuss.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/14/19 04:25 AM

So its ONLY going to be a Browser game and not a real game on the computer?? Bummer!
Posted By: Cookie

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/14/19 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by MorpheusDev
Originally Posted by Cookie
Hi everyone!

The best browser is Chrome. At one time I was making Chrome specific builds but I am back to making it more cross platform. That being said I only every develop and test on Chrome. If you are still having problems, can you please send me any errors that are appearing in your javascript console (Tools -> Web Developer -> Web Console).

There should be no issues loading from EU, other than the fact that the assets load from Washington USA (so a very long ways away). I have plans to cloudfront all of the assets which will push them to edge cache servers and make the asset loads faster. Until then you just need to be patient.

Thanks for your reply!
Here you can see how the page looks like, along with my javascript console http://i66.tinypic.com/1jkpj9.jpg

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/14/19 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by GreyFuss
So its ONLY going to be a Browser game and not a real game on the computer?? Bummer!

I believe that is correct, Greyfuss!

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/14/19 03:23 PM

While these are technically just a browser packaged as an app, here are some install-able versions of the game: https://soapbubble.itch.io/morpheus Windows, Mac, Linux and Android currently supported. iOS is still under development.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/14/19 05:35 PM

Hi MorpheusDev

Thanks for chiming in but forgive me as I am still a bit more confused after reading the info in the Link.

I am not sure but reading this it seems like you are still working on an actual Remake, Updated version and not just a Browser or a game that just plays on newer systems.

I am currently using the original assets from the released CD which are really bad by today’s standards due to being over compressed in order to fit on 3 CDs. I do have all of the original unmastered assets that I plan on remastering them once I am finished with the game.

Does this mean that there will be a much better version than you have now once you remaster the original assets?

Also, I assume that the first Download in your Link is for Windows (74mb) but what is the last one x86_64.rpm (56mb) ? I have a 64 bit Windows 7 so not sure which to use plus if there will be a better version coming out I might just wait until its all done.

BTW, I do appreciate you hard work in bringing this game back for us.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/14/19 07:48 PM

Also, I assume that the first Download in your Link is for Windows (74mb) but what is the last one x86_64.rpm (56mb) ? I have a 64 bit Windows 7 so not sure which to use

rpm files are for Linux.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/14/19 09:16 PM

I have the game on cd... and a windows xp.... think I will try loading that.... I tried the link but it did not run very well don't want to struggle thru it.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/15/19 07:48 PM

Hi MorpheusDev

Thanks for chiming in but forgive me as I am still a bit more confused after reading the info in the Link.

No forgiveness is needed. Feedback is always helpful. Everything is still very much a work in progress. I have a full time day job, plus wife-n-kids so I only ever have a limited time to work on this project. That being said I can try to make the description clearer about what is what!

I am not sure but reading this it seems like you are still working on an actual Remake, Updated version and not just a Browser or a game that just plays on newer systems.

I am working on a playable remake. I am using HTML / Web as the underlying tech stack. Knowing what I know now I would have chosen differently but at this point I am trying to move forward rather than backwards.

Does this mean that there will be a much better version than you have now once you remaster the original assets?

Correct! I have most (not all) of the original assets in uncompressed format. The resolution and frame rate is still low by modern standards but at least everything is clear and crisp without Cinepak compression artifacts.

Also, I assume that the first Download in your Link is for Windows (74mb) but what is the last one x86_64.rpm (56mb) ? I have a 64 bit Windows 7 so not sure which to use plus if there will be a better version coming out I might just wait until its all done.

BTW, I do appreciate you hard work in bringing this game back for us.

You will want the Windows link.

Originally Posted by Winfrey

I have the game on cd... and a windows xp.... think I will try loading that....

You will need 32 bit windows (aren't all XPs 32 bit?). I've used at latest Windows 7 32bit to run Morpheus. You will need to install Quicktime 3. You will need to run as adminstrator and with all compatible options enabled. The game does run but the sound crackles and the cursor flickers.

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/15/19 09:45 PM

Thanks MorpheusDev for explaining this so I can understand. I am thrilled to hear that you are actually working on an honest to goodness remake and not just a Browser game or the original updated to run on modern systems. I will wait patiently for the full remake and hope that you will not offer that for free or maybe run a Kickstarter so we can help defer your costs...and to perhaps buy a gift for the wife and kids smile

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/16/20 11:42 PM

The developer had a great update here. Good to see it's making progress!

Ana wave

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/17/20 03:35 AM

Thanks Ana!

Re: Remake of Morpheus - 02/17/20 09:49 AM

thanks BrownEyedTigre grin
© 2024 GameBoomers Community