GB HOMEPAGE

Current Re-Plays and Plays :-)

Posted By: Mad

Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/04/18 03:58 PM

Long time since I did it so have just started the first Black Mirror (the old and original) and am thoroughly enjoying, all over again, the stilted conversations and the erratic way Samuel walks from place to place wink

They just don't make 'em like that any more lol

What are you playing?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/04/18 06:34 PM

I really enjoyed the first Black Mirror. I wish I could erase my memory to play it like the first time!
Posted By: Marian

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/04/18 08:22 PM

I loved the stilted conversations and the way that Samuel walked! grin I replayed the game this past year, and enjoyed it even more than I did the first time around. In fact, I'd be ready to play it again this month. happydance
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/04/18 09:28 PM

A couple of months ago Ross Scott (of Ross's Game Dungeon) posted a video review of the first Black Mirror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvkcRSLfGHU

It was fun to see what he thought of it.
Probably best if you've played the game before.
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/05/18 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
I really enjoyed the first Black Mirror. I wish I could erase my memory to play it like the first time!

Memory erase becomes easier the older you get, smile
Posted By: venus

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/05/18 06:08 AM

The original Black Mirror is a fantastic game, pretty high up there on my favorites list. I still consider it the best of the series. The voice acting isn't great, it's true, but that's part of the game's personality, just like Nigel's odd way of speaking is part of The Lost Crown's. lol I'm also coming up on a replay of Black Mirror in a few games and am looking forward to it. Glad you're enjoying it all over again, Mad. thumbsup

Jenny, thanks for the link. I added it to my watch later list. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/05/18 03:16 PM

Already stuck !! eek

Reached the point of trying to "re-assemble the torn photo" - which could take me WEEKS lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/06/18 04:50 PM

Hah !! Just thought I'd check in and mention that I solved the torn picture tomato

Loving this oldie all over again thumbsup
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/06/18 06:24 PM

Yay Mad! I've got this downloaded for a replay soon also.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/07/18 05:56 PM

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself, oldbroad yes

I'm having a great time with it and made HUGE progress today .. Instead of doing things I should have been doing !! evil

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/07/18 06:01 PM

I enjoyed putting that torn photo together; it took me quite a while, but so satisfying to get it finished. yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/07/18 06:14 PM

I agree smile But I know there are much more difficult puzzles to come eek

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/07/18 06:23 PM

Indeed. On my replay I used a saved game for one of them. blush

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/08/18 04:53 PM

I've already dug out my ancient notes in case I get stuck and there's any help to be had from them !! laugh

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/11/18 07:35 PM

Wow !! I'd forgotten just how fascinating this game actually is !!

And a good job I dug out my old notes because there are some mind truly mind boggling puzzles to deal with !!

Absolutely having a blast hamster

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/11/18 07:40 PM

You are making me want to replay this game now. rah

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/11/18 08:23 PM

What .... Again ????

lol lol lol
Posted By: Tally Ho

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/11/18 11:54 PM

Arrgh - So I thought I would also replay Black Mirror - Put the CD in and installed it, but that dumb Star Trac (is that the right name?) security system won't allow it to proceed. I paid for that game; dammit I should be able to play it.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/12/18 12:28 AM

It is Starforce, Tally Ho. Either google for a Black Mirror NO CD fix or buy the game as a digital download from Steam or GOG. That will circumvent your problem. I have used the first method for my Black Mirror CD in the past, and it works. I have since purchased the game from GOG so that I don't have to mess with the copy protection problem.

Yes, Mad, I am very tempted to start the game again. grin
Posted By: frazap

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/12/18 10:16 AM

I've played the original Black Mirror at least three times, and recently replayed the "trilogy". The original is by far the best imo. The voiceacting, especially the choice of voice actor for Samuel, is not its strongest point, but I consider this game to be a minor classic in the genre. Don't care much for the other two games in the trilogy, but at least they are better than the "reworked" Black Mirror game from last year...

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/15/18 04:38 PM

More on the StarForce story -

I went to the StarForce website, and found a utility that will diagnose problems.

Here's the message I got.
"Unfortunately, this application uses very old protection version 3.03.027.035 and will not run under Windows 10 x64.
You should contact your product customer support service and ask them to make a patch, which will either update protection system version or remove protection at all.
Unfortunately, StarForce company can't build such a patch since we neither have legal authority to produce any patches nor original application files required for that.

Please, accept our apologies for the inconveniences."

So again, although I paid good money for a game when it came out, if I want to replay if, I must buy it again. That really goes against the grain.

BTW, there is a Netflix show called Black Mirror.
CAUTION! If you are at all queasy, or sensitive to language or violence or all-out sex, don't watch it. It's really bizarre. It has been compared to Twilight Zone, but no. Not. Nothing like Twilight Zone. The only similarity is that each episode is a stand-alone story.

Anyway, enough blathering. I probably won't be re-playing Black Mirror. Those of you who do, enjoy. It's a really good adventure. wave2

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/15/18 04:45 PM

Tally Ho, if memory serves, I have seen Black Mirror selling on GOG for less than $4 during a sale, and it will almost assuredly happen again. Not too bad a price to pay, even if you already have the CD.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/15/18 07:34 PM

Just gave myself a fright !! eek

Reached the point of
Click to reveal..
the notoriously difficult ZODIAC slider puzzle in Wales
but after searching through my old notes found I did have a saved game stashed away.

Phew !! dance

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/15/18 08:03 PM

That is the puzzle that I used a saved game for, Mad - it's quite the horror! help grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/15/18 08:09 PM

Absolutely !!!! crazy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/22/18 12:01 AM

Finished my re-play of The Black Mirror and thoroughly enjoyed it happydance Now about to start a re-play of The Black Mirror 2 rah

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/22/18 12:08 AM

Sounds good! joy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/22/18 04:23 AM

Yeah !! 😄

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/22/18 08:10 PM

Now you have me replaying game 1. I am off to a bad start though, already stuck. (I will post in the hints section if I need to.) I cannot open the drawer in my room and I cannot see the too high door frame. eek

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/22/18 10:40 PM

Winfrey .. Just a tip ..

Something I kept forgetting to do was click my R Mouse button on things grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/22/18 10:54 PM

Did you mean oldbroad Mad?

Thanks for that tip because I think I thought of trying that but didn't or maybe where I tried it there was nothing to see.

Or are you in a wrong subject here?

Must be the birthday thing. lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/22/18 11:02 PM

Definitely left AND right-click on everything; otherwise, you will find yourself stuck at several points throughout the game. wave

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/22/18 11:50 PM

Sorry oldbroad. Yes. I was intending the "tip" for you woozy

[ But blaming the "birthday thing" sounds like a good excuse - even if a naughty one - for the lapse wink ]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Marian wave2

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/23/18 12:07 AM

birthday flowers redchicken Mad.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/23/18 02:13 AM

Thank you Mad and Marian. I will start to right click!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/23/18 04:09 AM

Oldbroad and Marian hamster hamster
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/23/18 05:50 AM

I'm replaying the game now too.

Speaking of right-clicking, I just discovered something that I don't remember from previous plays. On the Save Game screen there are 24 save game slots, but you can only see 8 of them at any one time. If you click the up or down arrows it will scroll up or down one slot at a time, but if you right-click the arrows, it will scroll up or down a whole page (8 slots) at a time. Every time you open the Save Game screen, it always starts at the first 8 slots, so if you're using save games near the bottom of the 24 slots, this cane save a lot of clicks.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/23/18 08:20 PM

I don't know why I didn't re-read the game booklet. Then I would have known about the right clicking.

Uncle Reg - only 24 save slots??? I've already used 6 I think and I'm still at the beginning of the game.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/23/18 09:59 PM

Saves can be overwritten. I found I managed fine using and then gradually overwriting my saves thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/23/18 10:25 PM

I forgot to mention that this right-click feature also works on the Load Game screen.

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
I don't know why I didn't re-read the game booklet. Then I would have known about the right clicking

I went back and read the manual (which is supplied as a PDF file in the GOG version), and while it amply covers the use of right-clicking during gameplay and in the inventory, there was no mention of using it in the Save Game and Load Game screens.

Uncle Reg - only 24 save slots??? I've already used 6 I think and I'm still at the beginning of the game.

The game is divided into chapters (I think I remember that there were 6 chapters in all), so that once you advance to a new chapter, you can safely overwrite the saves for the previous chapter(s). That would effectively give you 24 saves for each chapter. I'm on Chapter 4 now, and the 24 slots have been adequate for me.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/24/18 02:24 AM

I'm no stranger to overwriting saves. I just didn't realize there were only 24 though.

I'm playing the GOG version but looked at the manual that came with my old disc. I never think to look for manuals with the downloads for some reason.

I'm off work tomorrow so, hopefully, progress will be made!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/24/18 02:33 AM

I never think to look for manuals with the downloads for some reason.

I don't either. I always used to look at the paper manuals back when we had physical releases.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/24/18 09:47 AM

I seldom look at them for Adventure games .... Unless I get stuck in some way .... And then of course I'm kicking myself for not having looked !! blush

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/25/18 06:17 AM

I just discovered another place where right-click works. It's on the scroll arrows at the left or right of the inventory bar. If you right-click the left arrow it will move the inventory items so that the first inventory item is on the left side of the bar, and right-clicking the right arrow will move the items so that the last item is on the right side of the bar.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/25/18 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info, Uncle Reg thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/25/18 09:19 PM

I'm replaying this game now as well. Thorsgoats and I love to quote these lines - "I think I will go now." "I'll return to my work." Samuel and Bates say these lines so many times, they seem to take up half of the game. lol

Really fantastic game, of course. I haven't gotten to the slider puzzle yet, but as I know the trick to solving it, I've never needed a saved game for it. devil I do, however, keep saved games for two of the very long waits after a couple of characters tell Samuel to come back later. I remember the second one taking about 40-45 minutes, with nothing to do in the meantime but run around to all the areas several times and re-read some of the family history just to pass the time. crazy

I've just gotten to the part where (very mild spoilers for the entire trilogy)
Click to reveal..
Samuel visits Murray in the pawn shop. Murray is a very different character here than he is in Black Mirrors 2 and 3.
grin

The original is still definitely my favorite, though I loved the sequels as well. I'm still avoiding the newest game, as I'm hoping a patch to fix the controls will be released at some point. If not, I'll power through it one of these days. smile
Posted By: sanford

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/28/18 09:37 AM

Hi fellow Boomers,
i'm also re-playing BM1, but this time it's the GOG version, even though I still have my old Boxed version. Purchasing the game from GOG cost me $9.99.I had missed the $4.99 sale, but no big deal. Got past the "Torn Photo"
puzzle by using the savegame. I understand that some other puzzles are more difficult than the torn photo. Haven't gotten to these yet, and I'm hoping there will be more savegames available for the game. Crossing my fingers! lol
Sandy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/28/18 11:28 PM

Having completed and very much enjoyed BM1, I've now started BM2 smile

A much slower moving beginning to this one and the setting is nowhere near as atmospheric but I expect it will fire up soon yes

Got to !! It IS a Blck Mirror after all !! lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/29/18 01:21 AM

I finally made it to Chapter 3 in Black Mirror 1 after dying a few times.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/30/18 06:35 AM

Mad, I think the original game was the most atmospheric by far, which is a big part of why it's my favorite of the trilogy. The sequels are still pretty fantastic as well, however. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/30/18 10:44 AM

oldbroad .. I hope you are enjoying the game ?? smile

venus .. I do remember liking all three games but I agree that the first was the best grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/30/18 08:55 PM

Mostly I am Mad - except when I had to wander around doing nothing but enjoy the rain while I waited for a key to be made and then for my photos to be developed. Not as long for the photos thankfully since that was almost immediately after the key. smile

I know game 2 started out more slowly and some people didn't like it, but I seem to remember that I did.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/31/18 01:59 AM

Yes. I liked them ALL - but the first the most smile

However, that "waiting for time to pass" in the first I originally found confusing. Thought I'd missed some vital clue or something (for ages) that would move me on !! shocked

Got to love those older ideas, eh ?? lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/31/18 06:03 AM

There are two especially bad waits in the original - one with Richard and one later with the priest. That second one took about 40-45 minutes for me. crazy Now, I keep saved games for both of those waits, so I don't have to worry about them again. grin

I suppose they thought the waits would add "realism," but I think there are much better ways to accomplish this. Plus, I think this is one of those instances where the player would want things to be less realistic. lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/31/18 05:03 PM

Well, I understand some waiting time, but couldn't I at least have sat down to eat or something while I waited?

Argh. Slider. mad hardwall

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 01/31/18 11:05 PM

Hi Boomers.
I just found a copy of BM2 on my games shelf. Installed it and it's running perfectly on my WIN 10 PC (no serial number needed).
will start it after I finish BM1, and I WILL refer to Louis Koot's amazing walkthrough. HAPPY GAMING!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/01/18 02:14 AM

"Slider" grin

Is that because you just came across it - or because you just conquered it, oldbroad evil

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/01/18 02:17 AM

That's the slider I use a saved game for, oldbroad.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/01/18 03:59 AM

Does that mean I have a "slider puzzle' to deal with in BM2? LOL
When I mentioned Louis's walkthroughs as "Amazing", that includes MAG'S walkthroughs as well. She helped us out for many years, and I know we all appreciate her to this day.
Sandy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/01/18 04:23 AM

I have put several hours into the slider today and have not YET conquered it. Stand by Marian. grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/01/18 04:59 AM

Oh, it's a definite "doozie" of a slider alright eek

After a zillion tries the first time I played the game, I finally solved it.

And, needless to say, kept that save safe for evermore lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/01/18 05:32 AM

Well, I looked at MaG's walkthrough to see if I could get some guidance and saw that I had the signs in the wrong places. They were in the right order (thanks to Google) but instead of going around the border I had them going across the rows. So, while trying to rectify that, I got it solved. Yay!!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/01/18 06:59 AM

Fabulous !! yay

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/05/18 04:35 PM

I'm getting close to the end of The Black Mirror 2 now.

Haven't been as enthralled as I was with The Black Mirror (original).

But fully intend to have a re-play of The Black Mirror 3 next yes smile

EDIT :

Started No 3 now !!!! bravo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/05/18 10:00 PM

Same here, Mad,
Still playing BM1, just installed BM2, Next will be BM3, but waiting for a GOG sale to purchase BM3. HAPPY GAMING!
Sandy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/06/18 03:40 AM

You made it through the second game pretty fast Mad. Hope your enthrallment returns in game 3!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/06/18 05:44 AM

As I remember, Black Mirror 3 felt more similar in atmosphere to Black Mirror 1 than part 2 did. Still nowhere near the same level, of course, but I liked it more than the second game. I did wish the villain in part 2 would have made an appearance in the third game, however, as this person was one of the more interesting characters in the series. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/06/18 07:15 AM

Thanks for the tip, Uncle Reg, It's saving a lot of "clicks" using the RMB for the savegames and Loadgames
Sandy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/06/18 01:39 PM

You made it through the second game pretty fast Mad. Hope your enthrallment returns in game 3!

I was able to spend more time per session doing my replay of BM2 than I could with BM1 and I eventually found there were some parts I remembered more, too yes

But I doubt it will be the same with BM3 as I don't remember as much of that at all.
Apart from, as venus, says, having a vague feeling it was a better game than BM2 !!
So I expect it will definitely take me longer grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/08/18 12:51 AM

Yeah !! BM3 is proving to be SO much more satisfying than BM2 !!

joy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/08/18 12:59 AM

That's good to know. I just reached Willow Creek in Black Mirror 2, but my progress has been very slow. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/08/18 03:31 AM

I just finished game 1 today. Pondering starting 2 tonight or maybe a casual game in between.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/08/18 11:37 AM

I found progress to be slow most of the way through BM2, Marian. But I did enjoy the game. Just not as much as I did BM1.
However, BM3 is cranking up to be much more to my liking grin

I nearly opted for a "rest" between games too, oldbroad, but that old Lure of Adventure sucked me in !! laugh

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/08/18 08:54 PM

Yes, I ended up starting the game last night. I can still play a casual, or even something else, along side. I played a Hidden Expeditions game while playing Black Mirror 1. You know, when you need to calm down...

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/09/18 02:32 AM

Mad, I think we all share that "addiction" for playing Adventure games, and it's "catching" as well. LOL
Sandy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/09/18 07:36 PM

Definitely, Sanford laugh

And oldbroad ....
I, too, very often have a few games on the go at the same time - but wading through all three of these Black Mirrors I have "contained" myself this time !! lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/10/18 08:44 AM

Glad you're enjoying 3 more than 2, Mad. thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/10/18 02:27 PM

Oh, I certainly am, venus. It's a much more engaging affair altogether yay

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/13/18 05:33 PM

Well I am very much liking The Black Mirror 3 !!!! thumbsup

Not remembering much of it at all from my original play, it has been like a new game for me - and is fast becoming my favourite of the series yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/13/18 05:56 PM

I liked the first one best -- the only one made by Future Games.

Of the 2nd two Black Mirror games (both made by Cranberry Productions), I liked the 3rd one a lot better. The 2nd one seemed to take half the game to get started. Despite that Lovecraft-type stories often take place in New England, I thought the depiction of New England in Black Mirror 2 was very bland and ordinary, and half the game is over before you get out of New England and get to the Black Mirror Castle environment. Even then, the atmosphere wasn't as good as in the first Black Mirror, and I think that is mainly due to the better background sound and music in the first Black Mirror.

As far as games go, the 2nd two games were more stable, and didn't have situations like getting eaten by the wolf because you'd used too many bullets earlier.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/13/18 07:39 PM

Oh, I do still like the first one myself Jenny100. It is an excellent example of how a good Adventure game could play out at that time yes

I found The story in Black Mirror 2 to be soooo slow to develop and, as you say, the game was nowhere near as atmospheric early on as it could have been whistle

But the more "modern" build up and execution of the story - as done in The Black Mirror 3 - is very much to my taste grin

I think the three together, though, do still make a darn good trilogy thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/14/18 02:38 AM

I appreciate that Cranberry made Black Mirror 2 and 3 as real adventure games. I just liked the first one better, and a lot of that was because of the sound design. I can appreciate that some people might like Black Mirror 2 or 3 better. I don't remember being eaten by a wolf in Black Mirror 2 or 3.

Cranberry also made Gray Matter, Mata Hari, and Lost Chronicles of Zerzura. I don't remember many people commenting on Lost Chronicles of Zerzura when it came out. I thought it was sort of like one of the Kheops games (like Secrets of Da Vinci or Nostradamus) only in 3rd person.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/14/18 07:22 PM

I wasn't that keen on either Gray Matter, Mata Hari, OR Lost Chronicles of Zerzura myself when they were released - although I think I might still have two of them.

So who knows ?? I might replay those two some day laugh

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/14/18 08:05 PM

I still haven't played Gray Matter but I liked Mata Hari and Lost Chronicles of Zerzura.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/14/18 10:23 PM

I was a beta tester for Gray Matter - while I enjoyed doing that; by the time the actual game was released I went "ugh - I can't face it again" smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/14/18 11:10 PM

"ugh - I can't face it again"

That is what makes me wonder how people can write walkthroughs.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/15/18 01:43 AM

It's boring as heck, oldbroad! lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/15/18 06:39 AM

Interesting. I loved Gray Matter and consider it one of the better games I've played. I thought it was developed by Wizarbox, however. duh

Lost Chronicles of Zerzura was fun, but not nearly as good as the Black Mirror games. Mata Hari was frustrating for me. It had way too many mini games, and while the in between parts were okay, they weren't interesting enough to endure the numerous, annoying mini games a second time.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/15/18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: venus
Interesting. I loved Gray Matter and consider it one of the better games I've played. I thought it was developed by Wizarbox, however.

Actually I think you're right.
I was reading from a list at Mobygames
http://www.mobygames.com/company/deck-13-hamburg-gmbh

The other adventure games in that list do say Cranberry on the individual game pages, but Gray Matter does not, so I'm not sure why it's listed there.

Quote:
Lost Chronicles of Zerzura was fun, but not nearly as good as the Black Mirror games. Mata Hari was frustrating for me. It had way too many mini games, and while the in between parts were okay, they weren't interesting enough to endure the numerous, annoying mini games a second time.

I had a similar problem with the "magic" puzzles in Gray Matter. They were pretty much the same puzzle over and over, and I didn't like it the first time. The story was good though.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/15/18 06:55 PM

Although I wasn't too enamoured of the three games, I didn't totally dislike them.
But I did think Gray Matter was rather repetitious rolleyes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/16/18 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Interesting. I loved Gray Matter and consider it one of the better games I've played. I thought it was developed by Wizarbox, however.

Actually I think you're right.
I was reading from a list at Mobygames
http://www.mobygames.com/company/deck-13-hamburg-gmbh

The other adventure games in that list do say Cranberry on the individual game pages, but Gray Matter does not, so I'm not sure why it's listed there.

Quote:

I had a similar problem with the "magic" puzzles in Gray Matter. They were pretty much the same puzzle over and over, and I didn't like it the first time. The story was good though.

Thanks for the link, Jenny. That's strange that it would be listed with the Cranberry games on Moby Games.

The story in Gray Matter is what hooked me, it's true, although I thought the standard inventory puzzles were fine. I enjoyed the Daedalus side story and the puzzles that went along with it quite a bit. I do agree with you regarding the magic puzzles. I thought the idea was intriguing, but the execution could have been much better. The magic tricks were just basically following instructions from a list, which wasn't very exciting or much fun.

However, I'd take the tedious magic trick repetition over the frustration of the Mata Hari dancing quick time events and stealth train mini games any day. lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/16/18 05:51 AM

I rather enjoyed the dancing in Mata Hari. I got frustrated a few times, but I liked it. wink
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/16/18 07:03 AM

I forgot about those magic puzzles now that you bring them up a replay becomes a tough concept

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/16/18 10:29 PM

O.K. A change in the verdict on the order of BM's coming up, I suspect wink

I am well on the way to finishing BM3 now and if the final chapter is as enticing as those that have gone before, this third game will definitely take over 1st place in the trilogy - for me
I have SO thoroughly enjoyed this final "episode" smile

I'm considering Woodruff and the Schnibble for my next replay. Unless I get totally tempted by Lighthouse The Dark Being, of course, which is a lurking possibility !! hamster

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/18/18 06:09 AM

Finished Black Mirror 2 this evening. Taking a break before starting Black Mirror 3 though. At least until tomorrow.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/18/18 06:47 AM

I hope you enjoy BM3, oldbroad yes
I certainly did !! yay
But fancy deciding to wait such a long time before you start it rotfl

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/18/18 04:55 PM

Truthfully, I want to wait longer because it's getting to be too much at one time which ends up taking enjoyment away from it, but still, I don't really want to wait too long. I am anxious to get through with Black Mirror and move on to some other replays and new plays.

I started a casual game that doesn't appear to be too long so will probably start game 3 later today. I'm glad you enjoyed it Mad. the only thing I remember about it at the moment, is the shades, which I did not like.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/18/18 07:06 PM

Hi.

Sorry !! I used the wrong "tense" in my last post, oldbroad.
I should have said "I certainly DO like it" as I'm still playing it - and am just about to start the final chapter whistle

[I'm being delayed though because at the moment I'm producing "year end" accounts for a charity school where I act as Voluntary Treasurer and I'll have to forego a fair amount of gaming time until they are finished shocked ]

A big advantage to BM3 over BM2 (for me) is that the story progresses much faster and I find that a lot more satisfactory thumbsup

Good Luck for when you get to BM3, anyway grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/19/18 10:55 PM

Started game 3 last night.

Good luck with your year end accounts Mad. Too bad they're interrupting your game time right when you're nearing the end.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/20/18 12:31 AM

The delay might be a short term saving of my sanity though, oldbroad, if what I remember of the coming up "Shades" is accurate scared

Anyway, let us know how you like YOUR replay of BM3, won't you ?? grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/22/18 12:10 AM

Well I have entered the area of The Shades. AGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

I had forgotten JUST how frustrating this part of the game is.
So if I make it out alive I will be holding on to the appropriate save, that's for sure scared

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/22/18 12:24 AM

I remember getting help from MaG on the Shades and still had trouble!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/22/18 12:33 AM

I have little doubt I, too, will need help, oldbroad. So MaG's walkthrough might be getting a good thumbing through - metaphorically speaking laugh

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/22/18 11:00 PM

Phew !!
Utilising bits of MaG's walkthrough, as and when I became desperate, I have spent hours today making my way through the shades and have finally got as far as being outside the door of the exit room - only to find myself BADLY STUCK at this eleventh hour !! rolleyes

[ Can't get the light to be turned on in the final room so I can enter it cry]

Absolutely NOT able to try any more today - but hopefully, in my next break from accounts, I might solve the problem whistle

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/23/18 03:14 AM

The break might be exactly what you need Mad!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/23/18 09:22 PM

I sincerely hope so !! lol

EDIT :

Hurrah and Hoorah !!!!

Completed The Shades .... AT LAST .... And can now carry on with the finale of this great game !!!!

joy joy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/24/18 02:28 AM

I knew you could do it! bravo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/24/18 02:54 AM

I couldn't make sense of ANY walk through, oldbroad. Not even MaG's blush

So in the end I just had to keep experimenting (dying more times than I'm willing to acknowledge !!) until ONE of my experiments actually succeeded lol

Despite the horrible "shades" area I'm still expecting I will change my order of preference of "The Black Mirror" games to 3 first, 1 second and 2 third - because that order definitely reflects the enjoyment pecking order - for me yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/24/18 08:20 AM

Well, the first is still my favorite for sure, but glad you enjoyed the third game so much this time, Mad. They're all great games. smile Congratulations on getting past the shades portion after it gave you such trouble. thumbsup

I'm replaying Moebius now and am really enjoying it. I really don't understand the harsh criticisms, as I think this is a terrific game. I'm enjoying even more this time around. Sure, Malachi moves oddly, but that's a very minor issue for me. lol It's a shame there probably won't be a sequel.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/24/18 07:39 PM

I haven't played Moebius yet, venus, but I hope to enjoy it when I do !! laugh

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/25/18 08:17 PM

Finished The Black Mirror 3 !! thumbsup

[And it wasn't as difficult an ending to fathom as I'd expected - which was a bonus.]
I thoroughly enjoyed this game and will certainly re-play it yet again at some time yay

I'm thinking I might attempt my Win7 version of Amber Journey's Beyond next as I didn't do very well with it when I first played the original version years ago blush

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/26/18 05:44 AM

Hope you enjoy Moebius when you get to it as well, Mad. I played some more today, and I'm still enjoying it very much. I think it's moving up on my "list of favorites." woot

Glad you enjoyed Black Mirror 3 all the way through. Did you keep a saved game after the shades section for your next replay? grin Enjoy Amber Journey's Beyond if you play it. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/26/18 08:14 PM

"Glad you enjoyed Black Mirror 3 all the way through. Did you keep a saved game after the shades section for your next replay? grin "

You bet I did !!!! lol

I'm playing a Casual at the moment - whilst I decide which re-play to go with next smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/26/18 08:58 PM

Congrats on finishing the game Mad and glad you had fun. I can't wait to finish as I am getting rather sick and tired of wandering around not knowing what to do. Keep falling asleep at my computer. I should not have played all 3 games in a row.

Let us know what you decide to play next.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/26/18 10:04 PM

Is this in BM3 that you are falling asleep at your computer, oldbroad ??

I could understand that might have happened in BM2 but rather surprised to hear it's happening for you if it's in BM3 shocked

Not what you want at ALL sad

[ And yes, I'll come back and tell you what I decide to re-play next wink ]

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/27/18 12:08 AM

Great that you'll always have that saved game, Mad. thumbsup Whenever I make it through a difficult action sequence, I always keep at least 3 saved games. lol I kept some after the spider sequence in Still Life and sneaking past the man and dog in Sherlock Holmes and the Secret of the Silver Earring. grin I definitely kept some after all three annoying arcade sequences in Next Life! It was a very fun game otherwise, but those sequences were terrible. crazy lol

Enjoy your next replay, whatever you choose!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/27/18 03:15 AM

Yes Mad, in BM3. Wandering around for a long period of time not knowing what to do gets boring, but also it has to do with the music and background sounds lulling me to sleep.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/27/18 03:49 PM

Oh, dear .... I certainly didn't have that experience ....

So you're not enjoying it then. I'm really sorry, oldbroad whistle

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 02/27/18 08:35 PM

It's not that exactly, but I really should have taken time in between the games. I would have enjoyed them more then I believe.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/01/18 09:46 PM

I've opted to play The Birdwatcher and re-play Amber Journeys Beyond.

[The latter tweaked for modern machines.]

So I should definitely be enjoying myself for quite some time dance

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/02/18 04:09 AM

Well, enjoy those games Mad. The Birdwatcher is a beautiful game. I haven't played Amber Journeys Beyond (yet).

Still working on BM3, slowly making progress. yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/02/18 07:41 AM

I hope you are enjoying it more now then, old broad ??

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/08/18 03:05 AM

Mad, I finally finished the game. I had to use the walkthrough a few times near the end. I tried for 3 hours to get the shade/labyrinth puzzle myself but then spent 1 hour on it using the walkthrough. I needed it for the hieroglyphics/canister puzzle also. I enlarged the photo of the skeleton but then ended up skipping the puzzle as I just could not get it. I very strongly dislike skipping puzzles! The story got too confusing for me at the end with shades and souls and soul shades etc. I did not understand it any better this time than I did the first time I played it.

That said, I really did enjoy replaying the games though even though that doesn't sound like I did. yes

I think I will try to find something lighter to play now, like Machinarium maybe.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/08/18 05:25 AM

Congratulations on making it through the series, oldbroad. thumbsup

Mad, how are your two games going?

Right now, I'm replaying The Moment of Silence, which is such a fantastic game. praise A lot of the themes in it seem more relevant now than they did when it came out in 2004, which makes me appreciate it even more than I did in my original play-through. It is strange to see so many CDs laying around when the game is supposed to take place in 2044, though. lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/08/18 04:43 PM

oldbroad ..

So glad to hear you did enjoy re-playing the series, despite everything !! thumbsup

venus ..

I'm thoroughly enjoying myself - yet again smile

Really like The Birdwatcher. But then I have liked ALL Mikael's games yes

Unfortunately, I've not got very far with Amber Journeys Beyond yet, though, due to lack of playing time at the moment. But it IS nice visiting that house again eek

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/09/18 08:07 AM

Sounds great, Mad. Glad you are enjoying them when you have the time. thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/09/18 10:28 AM

I finished The Birdwatcher last night (loved it) and then decided to install Black Dahlia .... All seven disks of it, plus a patch from a floppy disk shocked

So between that and Amber Journeys Beyond, I reckon I'll be keeping myself entertained for a few MONTHS now, considering how much time I can allow per playing session lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/12/18 01:53 AM

I started replaying The Wolf Among us today. Fantastic Telltale game, highly recommended for those who don't mind occasional QTE's. As long as you can type and have decent reflexes, they aren't too difficult. I don't like/tend to be bad at action sequences, and I'm okay with Telltale's controls. smile It's definitely a story focused, choice based game, so those who are primarily puzzle gamers will most likely not enjoy it.

However, if you like a good story and want to catch up before the sequel that will probably begin late this year, I recommend giving this one a go. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/12/18 02:06 AM

I started my replay of Road to India today finally. I had installed it on my XP machine about 2 months ago I think.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/12/18 01:50 PM

I've never played The Wolf Among Us but I've played Road to India a couple of times smile

EDIT :
I had completely forgotten that I do actually have The Wolf Among Us !!!! hamster

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/20/18 04:05 AM

Hi fellow Boomers,
I just bought BM3 from Steam, on sale for $2.49. Installed and looking fantastic. As I said earlier in this thread, I'm waiting for a sale on this game, so I finally have it now. YAY!
Sandy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/20/18 05:07 AM

Congratulations, Sandy! Enjoy the game! woot

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/20/18 06:13 AM

thank you Venus,
I AM enjoying this game, even if it IS a re-play.
Sandy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/20/18 04:04 PM

I absolutely enjoyed it Sanford and I hope you do too !! yay

[Having a great time myself with my re-play of Black Dahlia. It is SUCH an excellent oldie thumbsup]

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/20/18 08:21 PM

I wish I had Black Dahlia and that it would play on a computer I own. I think I saw it at Amazon one time but it sounded like it would be problematic.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/20/18 08:51 PM

I've never played it using anything other than Win95 or Win98, oldbroad, and Win98 is what I have it running on at the moment. And (with the patch installed) it is working perfectly.

[I'm extremely doubtful of it working on any later O.S. though - and Jenny100 would probably be the one best to explain "why".]

I keep hoping GOG might have a go at it for us. That would be SO good yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/21/18 01:02 AM

Mad, the STEAM version of BM3 sure is working well for ME on my Win 10 64 Bit PC. I loved Black Dahlia as well.
Sandy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/21/18 02:32 AM

I recently played through all 3 of the Black Mirror games. I used the GOG version on all 3 for the first time. All 3 played perfectly with no issues.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/21/18 08:14 PM

Yes. That's what I did, too, Uncle Reg. Gotta love GOG, eh ?? laugh

And a "tweaked" Black Dahlia from them would be SUCH a treat !!!! yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/21/18 08:18 PM

I'll be one of the first in line for Black Dahlia if I ever see Marian posting that it's available at GOG. yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/21/18 10:09 PM

And I'll be right on your tale !!!! lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/21/18 11:32 PM

I'll be one of the first in line for Black Dahlia if I ever see Marian posting that it's available at GOG. yes

And wouldn't I love to be making that announcement! yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/27/18 09:22 PM

Well, I'm enjoying the heck out of my Black Dahlia re-play but have to confess that in certain places I've had to take long, hard peeks at my walkthrough yes

There are some VERY difficult parts in this game eek

Still absolutely love it though lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/28/18 02:50 AM

So glad you're enjoying it Mad!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/28/18 07:08 PM

Thanks, oldbroad grin
Posted By: Winx

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/30/18 04:04 AM

I am currently replaying the first FMV Tex Murphy game Under A Killing Moon. I first played it way back in 1994 on my first computer. As there were no walkthroughs in those days, in fact I wasn't on the Internet at that time, it was the first game I managed to get all the way through owing to the neat hints system incorporated into the game.

Anyway, as it has been some years since I last played UAKM, it's a wonderful walk down memory lane as it is still a good yarn and enjoyable to play despite the pixelated graphics.

I still have the original game on CDs, but am playing the GOG version on my Windows 7 computer.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/30/18 05:54 AM

Oooooh .... My favourite Tex Murphy game.
Brilliant !!!! yay

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/30/18 10:53 AM

I've just got to my least favourite part of the game - the GRS offices with the security robot. Took me forever to get through it the first time way back when, but I eventually emerged shaken but triumphant.

As it was the first Tex game I ever played it is close to my heart, but I love Pandora Directive the most.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 03/30/18 09:37 PM

"I've just got to my least favourite part of the game - the GRS offices with the security robot."

That's my least favourite part too, Winx eek

But the rest of the game is SO good that I always persevere - despite ending up a drained wreck woozy
Posted By: mbday630

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/01/18 06:10 PM

I have played Edna and Harvey the Breakout twice in the past week. My grandkids came over and started playing it too and had so much fun with it. Right now I am re-playing discworld noir. I love that game. A good game to play while I am waiting for my prime rib roast to cook. Happy Easter!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/01/18 08:21 PM

Lovely !! grin

Discworld Noir is one of my favourite games too, mbday630, and I have re-played it several times thumbsup

I've never possessed Edna and Harvey the Breakout so am not familiar with it but wonderful that you can play it with your Grandchildren happydance

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/02/18 07:17 AM

Managed finally to get through the GRS Offices with only being zapped a few times by the bot. On to despatching the Chameleon.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/02/18 07:21 AM

luck

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/03/18 11:51 PM

Well my Black Dahlia re-play is going well, if rather slowly laugh

But there are some doozies of puzzles to get to grips with and never enough playing time yes
Posted By: FlyingDutchman42

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/08/18 12:54 PM

Hi Mad,

I have read that you did not possess
Edna and Harvey, would you like to have
mine? I never played the game, cause
it's not my cup of tea ... smirk
Edna doesn't even has a nose... smirk laugh
I would send it to you for free.

Have a nice day, Rob wave2

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/08/18 06:25 PM

Well, that is a nice offer FlyingDutchman42. I hope Mad takes you up on it. I enjoyed both Edna and Harvey games myself.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/09/18 08:16 AM

Hi FlyingDutchman42 smile

That's very generous of you, to offer the game for free, and thank you !!

But you must allow me to at least cover the postage.

[I will go PM you with my address.]

Cheers.

Mad grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/09/18 03:08 PM

Hi Mad, wave2

I have yust sent the package.
It is nice of you that you offer to
pay for the postage.

Normally I would be inclined to refuse, yes
but as my finances have seen better days, smirk
I would appreciate it if you could pay half.

That would amount to 6 euro's.

I will send you a PM with my paypal.
Hope the game arrives savely and you will
like it!

Have a nice gaming day, Robert wave

P:S: Thanks, oldbroad for the friendly words! blush

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/09/18 03:39 PM

Got your PM, FlyingDutchman42 smile

Have replied - and sent you the money via PayPal grin

I'll let you know when the game gets here - and many thanks yes

Cheers.

Mad happydance

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/10/18 11:37 AM

Hi Mad,

I have recieved your paypal transfer
Thanks and I hope you will recieve the game soon.
It seems to be a special edition.
(with music disc as an extra) cool
The box is quit pretty as well!
(hope I wrapped it in suffenciently) think

Have a fine day, Rob wave2

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/10/18 12:35 PM

Hi smile

Thank you very much and I will let you know as soon as it arrives grin

Cheers.

Mad thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/11/18 05:11 PM

Wow !! The game arrived today !! Super fast, eh ?? shocked

And thank you SO much for sending it to me yes

And, oh yes, it was VERY well wrapped. So thank you for that, too laugh

Cheers.

Mad happydance

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/13/18 01:16 PM

Hello Mad,

That was incredibly quick! yes
Am glad the game arrived savely.

I have bought "Layers of Fear" again
on GOG,(it was on sale) cause my
Steam one didn't install anymore.
I never finished this one
cause of the "Layers" of Doors that were
a game spoiler! slapforehead

Since yesterday I have made good progress
(many a door hás been openend ... joy2)

P.S: I am a clumsy package wrapper,
and tape often ends up on my fingers,
instead of on the package. ... laugh

Have a good day,Rob wave2

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/13/18 03:03 PM

I hope you are very much enjoying "Layers of Fear, FlyingDutchman42 yes
[I also have the game but haven't played it yet.]

[And it looked to me that ALL the tape on the package you sent me WAS on the package as far as I could tell !! lol]

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/14/18 02:05 PM

Nearly completed Black Dahlia now and think I might re-play some King's Quests next.
Lovely !!
rah rah rah

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/14/18 05:46 PM

I'm thinking replays of Scratches and The Arrangement coming up next. Scratches will actually be The Director's Cut which I did not play before but I still consider this a replay.

Hopefully, they will both work with no problems.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/14/18 05:50 PM

Have fun with King's Quest, Mad! woot Do you play the originals or the remakes when you replay? Even though the fan remakes are great, I always have to play the originals when playing through the full series, as I consider those the versions that "actually happened." grin King's Quest VI is still the best, I think. thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/14/18 11:30 PM

I'm thinking replays of Scratches and The Arrangement coming up next. Scratches will actually be The Director's Cut which I did not play before but I still consider this a replay.

Hopefully, they will both work with no problems.

I recently loaded The Arrangement on my 7 year old Win 7 64 bit, and I couldn't get any sound.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/15/18 02:35 AM

I'll be trying The Arrangement in my XP Uncle Reg, but did you post in glitches in case they might be able to help you with that?

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/15/18 07:04 PM

I’ve never played The Arrangement, oldbroad, but I've played both the original Scratches and the Director’s Cut.
I hope you enjoy whichever games you decide to go with grin

I vary my plays of King’s Quest games, venus.
Sometimes I use the original disks in Win98SE and sometimes I use the GOG tweaked versions in WinXP or Win7.
[ Without physically checking, however, I’m not sure what fan versions I actually have !! smile ]

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/16/18 03:24 AM

Mad, it sounds as though you play the original versions then, regardless of whether you use your disks or the GOG copies. thumbsup This is the "correct" way to play the series, I think. grin

There are also these installers that allow you to run your original games on more modern computers - http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSierraInstallers.html#KQ. I use these for my Roberta Williams Collection, and they allow the games to run perfectly for me on both Windows 7 and Windows 10. Just another option in case you ever want to use it. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/16/18 12:47 PM

Oh, I DO also have access to those Sierra Installers etc., venus. Grabbed them yonks ago - as soon as I heard about them laugh

My favourites in the KQ series are 4,5,6 and 7 - with 6 being my very favourite yes
Posted By: TJL

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/20/18 06:53 PM

My last two games played are "Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders" and "Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father 20th Anniversary Edition". Liked both games offering more traditional gameplay. The first one had gamepad support but the latter not, so lots of mouse clicking lately.

AC was more like a casual game and little too much guided tour like, you simply could not go wrong. I prefer Sherlock Holmes games over it.

Never played original GK, started gaming as late as 2006. The remake offered decent graphics and somewhat challenge gamewise. Had to take a peek at walkthrough three times. For the mimic and policeman, coded message on the wall at the graveyard and drumming message near the end. The last one was actually too easy to even try, he he. Expected something more complicated.

I guess it's now time for an action oriented game, thinking of Resident Evil IV...

Timo
Posted By: CaptainD

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/20/18 07:30 PM

I enjoyed playing ABC Murders, as you say not exactly taking but enjoyed playing it in a laid-back with cooperatively with my better half.

Looking forward to giving 39 Days to Mars a spin as a 2-player co-op adventure. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/20/18 07:44 PM

I'm down to the very last remnants of a re-play of Black Dahlia and am about to start a re-play of one of the King's Quests games.

And last year, I re-played both the games you mention, TJL !!

I really ought to be starting one of the many "never yet played" in my collection but I keep getting side tracked by lovely oldies laugh
Posted By: judith

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/20/18 07:57 PM

I'm like you Mad, I keep getting drawn to the oldies. Just finished playing all the Agatha Christie games & I'm starting Barrow Hill again today.
Posted By: mrbill

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/20/18 07:59 PM

Quern: Undying Thoughts

Very interesting Game!

No idea what will be next. Quern may take me several months. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/20/18 11:00 PM

So have you decided which game in the King's Quest series you will replay first, Mad?

This puts me in the mood for replaying some of them myself. yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 12:43 AM

I am feeling a steep leaning towards KQ5, Marian - which could then very well lead on to more of them !! hamster

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 05:39 AM

Mad, great, glad you have the installers as well. thumbsup I agree with your choice of favorites, particularly KQVI. grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 06:00 AM

I'm playing The Pillars of the Earth, by Daedalic. It's an excellent narrative game with a strong story line and characters. thumbsup It certainly isn't a challenging game by any means, but the story is fantastic, and I've apparently made choices that deviate from the events of the novel. grin In fact, I've become so invested in the story and characters, that it may end up topping Memoria as my favorite Daedalic game. I'm still working on Book 3, and I plan on playing some more over the weekend. thumbsup

TJL, do you think you will play the Gabriel Knight sequels, now that you've played the original? grin They are both fantastic as well, and I think the second game is the best in the series. Gabriel Knight is my second favorite game series after The Longest Journey/Dreamfall series. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 07:48 AM

Many of you are replaying games (over and over again). Personally I've played some 200 game titles since 2006 and not replayed any single one, ever. For some time I remember everything too well to find it worth but of course I can't use that excuse after years. But there are 'millions' of other games just waiting to be played so why bother? What's your driving force for replaying?

TJL, do you think you will play the Gabriel Knight sequels, now that you've played the original? grin They are both fantastic as well, and I think the second game is the best in the series. Gabriel Knight is my second favorite game series after The Longest Journey/Dreamfall series. smile

venus, I really don't know yet. Both sequels are currently on sale on GOG, 3.19€ piece and their stories sound interesting. GK2 in FMV looks decent but GK3 in 3D quite awful. Currently I think I'll skip GK3 and wait for a possible(?) remake some day. But I think I'll give GK2 a chance to convince me. I've played couple of older FMV games before and found them 'playable' in terms of graphics. So why not. But right now I need some action and take another sort of game to play...

Timo
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 09:34 AM

I also replay old games. Right now I am replaying Tomb Raider Anniversary. It has taken forever to get to the final level but I love the challenge of all the old Tomb Raider games.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 03:30 PM

[quote=TJL]Many of you are replaying games (over and over again). Personally I've played some 200 game titles since 2006 and not replayed any single one, ever. For some time I remember everything too well to find it worth but of course I can't use that excuse after years. But there are 'millions' of other games just waiting to be played so why bother? What's your driving force for replaying?

I was the same way for a long time but a few years ago I just had a craving to start revisiting some games I had already played. Some of them I find I like a little better because I understand them better now (or am a little more seasoned as a player or something) but some aren't holding up as well in the replay. What I've found about remembering the games, is that I remember stuff in them, but some of what I think I remember is just in my imagination.

I'm currently playing Scratches: The Director's Cut (played only the original prior but not seeing any difference in this game). After this I think I am going to play The Vulture (first time play).

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 05:48 PM

oldbroad .... The difference between the two versions is explained here HERE

TJL .... the reason why I bother re-playing is because a lot of the old games are high quality and can stand their ground against many a more modern offering yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 05:54 PM

Installing KQ5 in about two minutes from now !! joy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 07:20 PM

Have fun Mad!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 07:25 PM

Thanks for that information Mad. I'll see if I notice any difference by the end of the game. May be that I just don't remember all of it clearly, though I am remembering quite a bit of it.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 07:25 PM

Thank you, oldbroad. Installed and being played hamster

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 07:28 PM

I found the Director's Cut version did have extra content - and was certainly as good as or better than the original.
ENJOY !!!! yay

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/21/18 10:54 PM

WELL, I'm still a "MYST-A-HOLIC" as well as a Tex and Gabriel fan. I keep going back to those looking for something I might have missed the previous times. I just bought "The Dame Was Loaded" from GOG, which I had played many moons ago. HAPPY GAMING, my fellow Boomers.
Sandy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/22/18 07:12 PM

Phew !!
Just completed the desert section.
Thank goodness I still have the maps I made all those years ago whistle

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/26/18 05:50 PM

So lovely to see the opening Sierra Logo of the old games.

Nearly worth installing one of them to watch just that !! lol

EDIT :
Finished KQ5 and getting on with KQ6 now joy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/27/18 03:27 AM

That was pretty fast Mad. I'm still working on Scratches. I didn't play Saturday because I was starting to get that frustrated feeling and needed a break. I did advance some on Sunday and stopped before I got stuck again so I would have a new area to start in on Wednesday but then for some reason I never did play on Wednesday. If all goes well though, I will finish the game this weekend.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/27/18 05:32 AM

Oh, KQ5 is not a long game for me, oldbroad.
Mainly because having played it so many times even I, with MY sieve like memory, can remember the order of things.
KQ6 will take me longer. Although I'm very familiar with it, too, it is a more complicated affair and I won't remember the intricate details quite so well.

Scratches is a totally different cup of tea !! yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/28/18 06:51 AM

Have fun with KQVI, Mad. I agree that it's the best of the series, and I still consider it one of the best games I've played. thumbsup
Posted By: gamnos

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/28/18 01:59 PM

Just finished 3 indies in a row: Minims (charming), Tiny Echo (intriguing) and lastly,
Eartworms (nice drawing style, sadly I managed only to get a neutral ending). Al quite good games, not too hard.
Started FoxTail, because it resembles my beloved Kyrandia (I) so much, but sadly it is for me at least a bit tedious and repetitive.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/28/18 08:18 PM

Ahhhh !! Kyrandia !! Another excellent oldie series I enjoy replaying dance

Although the third game wasn't as good as the first two, in my opinion ....

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/28/18 08:23 PM

Yes. KQ6 is the best of them, Venus yes But they ALL have that special "Sierra" something yay
Posted By: RebKean

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/28/18 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TJL
Many of you are replaying games (over and over again). Personally I've played some 200 game titles since 2006 and not replayed any single one, ever. For some time I remember everything too well to find it worth but of course I can't use that excuse after years. But there are 'millions' of other games just waiting to be played so why bother? What's your driving force for replaying?

For me, the games that I keep coming back to, are the ones that feels like a second home. Or an escape maybe. It doesn't matter to me that I have to do things that I have done before. Morrowind and Oblivion are games that I play over and over. Now, it's true that they are not exactly the same each time, but I play them for the atmosphere. I love starting the game, and just walk around and listen to the music for example.

And this is also true with all Carol Reed games. I got obsessed with them long before I knew Mikael, and started my own game.
Yes, I know most things by heart, but it's not about the puzzles. It's about just being there. Even though it's photographs, and not a 3D environment, you still feel like you are there. And that really spoke to me.

It might be the nice feeling of familiarity also. It's safe. I like safe. smile
Posted By: The Haze

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/28/18 11:01 PM

I constantly replay all the MYST games and Syberias 1 & 2, as well as Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes game. First; I constantly replay them because I really enjoy them. Secondly I can't afford a new computer and my aging one won't run many of the new games

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/29/18 01:40 AM

RebKean, you stated it exactly how I feel. "For me, the games that I keep coming back to, are the ones that feels like a second home. Or an escape maybe. It doesn't matter to me that I have to do things that I have done before. Morrowind and Oblivion are games that I play over and over. Now, it's true that they are not exactly the same each time, but I play them for the atmosphere. I love starting the game, and just walk around and listen to the music for example." That is why I play Simon the Sorcerer 1 so many times. i like to listen to the music, look at the butterflies and snakes and just enjoy the atmosphere. It is like a safe place. Of course, I know the puzzles by now, but, I just enjoy being in that world for a little while.
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/29/18 02:20 AM

After having watched the whole Star Trek original series I thought it was time to play Star Trek: 25th Anniversary from 1992, with the characters from the original series. However, I was put off by the opening action sequence (a shooting scene which I wasn't even able to complete).

I also liked Morrowind and Oblivion, but the fighting got a little too tiresome for me after 20 hours of so (which has happened to me with so many RPG's). I liked Bethesda's Dishonoured 1 & 2 better, of which I played the second before trying my (badly coordinated) hand at Star Trek.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/29/18 09:14 AM

Hi,

I'm glad this topic got plenty of new postings in past few days.

If I summarize your reasons for replaying games here are the main ones I found:

* oldies feel better
* finding or doing something new each time
* atmosphere
* computer limits.

I've been reluctant replaying anything so far, and I find it interesting trying to convince myself using your arguments.

I started gaming in 2006 when I was well over 40 years so I didn't start with the oldies and even today have played only couple of games older than that (thanks to GOG). The era of the game doesn't matter to me, I find 'good games' among old and new but by my opinion they must have decent graphics, blurry or pixeled images are definitely not for me.

I prefer long games and finding or doing something new each time doesn't motivate me too well. For Steam games you can often see achievements and if I see in the end that I've got 85 per cent or more that 'book' stays closed. I play mostly story driven games that leave less space for totally free exploration.

Atmosphere is something I put great value and which could motivate me best for a replay. For some games I've even considered that after some time from first playthrough has passed. But so far, after some more considering, I have rejected the idea on basis that I simply want to keep those sweet memories of the first time fearing it just wouldn't feel the same on second time and ruined the original experience. Because of time passed, either technically or how I feel about the subject.

Computer limits and games are a hard subject. I understand the goal to make technically more advanced games each year but I wouldn't like to buy a new computer every two or three years. I'm accepting the fact that I must buy a new 'top quarter' computer every five to six years if you want to play the newest game titles too. That concept has worked well for two upgrades now. But what's more annoying is that Microsoft doesn't offer better backward compatibility. That couldn't be too difficult if they cared for that but their business is to sell new and not keep anything old alive, sadly. It's kinda sad when it limits our playing our gaming either technically or economically.

Still have couple of dozen 'new games' in my virtual shelf waiting for their turn, thanks to 'constant' sales and bundles sold. So not expecting any replay soon.

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/29/18 05:28 PM

"Atmosphere is something I put great value and which could motivate me best for a replay. For some games I've even considered that after some time from first playthrough has passed. But so far, after some more considering, I have rejected the idea on basis that I simply want to keep those sweet memories of the first time fearing it just wouldn't feel the same on second time and ruined the original experience. Because of time passed, either technically or how I feel about the subject."

I am having trouble getting the "Quote" thing down. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.

Anyway, regarding your paragraph about atmosphere, unfortunately that is one thing I find doesn't hold up well in the replay. For me, those "sweet memories" of the atmosphere aren't quite the same in some of the games I've replayed frown .

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/29/18 08:39 PM

* oldies feel better
* atmosphere
* computer limits.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don’t find many of the above apply as far as I'm concerned.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oldies only “feel” better if they “are” better !!

And it is definitely possible to find something new during a replay.

In an Adventure game I, personally, look for a strong storyline and a friendly interface – both of which, if there, can contribute to a good atmosphere.

Graphics are not so important to me - which is one reason I can so very happily re-play ancient games yes

As for buying a new computer every five years. I simply couldn’t afford to do that. Nor have I found it necessary.
Posted By: RebKean

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/29/18 09:27 PM

mbday630 It is indeed a safe place, and I'm happy that you also have found it. I think we all need somewhere to escape to, and I'm grateful for knowing where my refuge is.

Mikael There are some fighting in Morrowind/Oblivion, but I have found a way to get around this. I mean exept lowering the difficulty slider. I found that the "Chameleont" magic thing, is fantastic when you use a lot of it. You can actuallty make yourself invisible! So when I just want to walk around in the wilderness, without getting a heartattack from a giant minotaur, I just put on my invisible clothes and have a stroll. smile

TJL Why not think about it as an experiment? Try an re-play a game or two, and see how it feels. We are all different though, and my reasons for playing games over and over, are totally based on my emotions. I just get drawn back because my feelings tell me to go back. I'm sure this will not work for everyone.
I'm like that with most things in life. I prefer the things I know I will like, so I don't like to try new foods or things like that. I also re-watch TV-shows that I love. Some more often than others. My hubby is not like that for example. So I'm forced to try new things once in a while. lol
So perhaps you won't like old games that you've already played, but you will never know until you try either. Best of luck!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 04/30/18 07:19 PM

I'm doing well with KQ6 and enjoying it very much happydance

Might go for Dragonsphere or maybe Riddle of Masterlu as my next replay ....

So many great oldies to choose from - and so many of them now available "ready tweaked for modern machines" at GOG.

YEAH !! bravo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/01/18 04:28 AM

I am having trouble getting the "Quote" thing down. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.

You need to remember to close the quote.
Without the spaces between letters, you put [q u o t e] or [q u o t e=who-you're-quoting] before the quoted text.
Then you put [/q u o t e] after the quote. Don't forget the / in the [/q u o t e].
Then you can use "Preview Reply" to see if it looks right.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

The following is a repost since the original was lost in thread merging.

But there are 'millions' of other games just waiting to be played so why bother?

Because sorting through "millions" of new games to find a single one I'd enjoy rarely turns up anything. With a game I've played before, I know what I'm getting. I may forget almost everything about a game, but I'll remember whether I liked it or not.

If I summarize your reasons for replaying games here are the main ones I found:

* oldies feel better
* atmosphere
* computer limits.

I've been reluctant replaying anything so far, and I find it interesting trying to convince myself using your arguments.

The reasons I replay are more about so few of the types of games I enjoy being made any more.
If you like a wide variety of games, can handle dexterity requirements, don't mind gimmicks like "achievements" popping up in your face, and other 4th-wall-breaking features, and don't get motion sickness, you have more to choose from than I do. If you only found one or two new games a year that you were interested in playing, you'd be replaying your older ones too.

The era of the game doesn't matter to me, I find 'good games' among old and new but by my opinion they must have decent graphics, blurry or pixeled images are definitely not for me.

Then the era of the game DOES matter to you, because it affects the type of graphics that were possible in games from that time. I tend to "get used to" older graphics from the 1990's. As long as the game is drawing me in in other ways, I stop noticing any shortcoming in the graphics.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/01/18 07:34 AM

Jenny - thanks for trying to explain about the quote thing but I don't really get it. I use the "Quote" or "Quick Quote" at the bottom of the post box. I don't see a difference between the two. If I want to quote the whole post it works but not for just a part of the post. Then if I try to remove the part I didn't want to quote, it gets messed up.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/03/18 06:24 PM

Have you finished Scratches : Director's Cut yet, oldbroad ??

And if so, what's the next game on your agenda ??

grin grin grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/03/18 07:02 PM

If I want to quote the whole post it works but not for just a part of the post. Then if I try to remove the part I didn't want to quote, it gets messed up.

[q u o t e] before quoted text.
[/q u o t e] after quoted text.

So in your previous message where you said

"Atmosphere is something I put great value and which could motivate me best for a replay. For some games I've even considered that after some time from first playthrough has passed. But so far, after some more considering, I have rejected the idea on basis that I simply want to keep those sweet memories of the first time fearing it just wouldn't feel the same on second time and ruined the original experience. Because of time passed, either technically or how I feel about the subject."

Anyway, regarding your paragraph about atmosphere, unfortunately that is one thing I find doesn't hold up well in the replay. For me, those "sweet memories" of the atmosphere aren't quite the same in some of the games I've replayed frown .

you'd want this:

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

[q u o t e=TJL]Atmosphere is something I put great value and which could motivate me best for a replay. For some games I've even considered that after some time from first playthrough has passed. But so far, after some more considering, I have rejected the idea on basis that I simply want to keep those sweet memories of the first time fearing it just wouldn't feel the same on second time and ruined the original experience. Because of time passed, either technically or how I feel about the subject.[/q u o t e]

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

(without the spaces between the letters in [q u o t e] and [/q u o t e].
Which would come out looking like this:

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Atmosphere is something I put great value and which could motivate me best for a replay. For some games I've even considered that after some time from first playthrough has passed. But so far, after some more considering, I have rejected the idea on basis that I simply want to keep those sweet memories of the first time fearing it just wouldn't feel the same on second time and ruined the original experience. Because of time passed, either technically or how I feel about the subject.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/03/18 07:52 PM

Mad - I took the day off from Scratches yesterday hoping to avoid frustration lol. I'm going to try to finish it up today.

As for what is next? I'm not sure. I planned on The Vulture but prior to that I planned on some other games that I never got to. After a time, my mind changes so I'm not sure yet but I will let you know as soon as I know wink.

Jenny - I'll work on it!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/03/18 08:17 PM

Is The Vulture an older "top down view" game ??

[ That's the only one I've ever heard of laugh ]

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/03/18 08:38 PM

It is this game: https://www.amazon.com/Napoleons-Paris-V...&dpSrc=srch

On my CD, the title just says The Vulture.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/04/18 07:02 PM

Oh, right !! smile

When I googled "The Vulture" I only found that old "top down view" game.

The one you have seems to be definitely superior to that laugh

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/04/18 09:53 PM

I am replaying Tales of a Hero now and I forgot most of it. Thank goodness for the walkthroughs! I forgot how hard it was and how much pixel hunting there is in the game. The bad thing about the game is that it is not alt minimize friendly. I have to exit the game to look at a walkthrough. which is good and bad in a way - I try harder to find things on my own before I have to exit the game - but, when I do finally look at the walkthrough, I find that I read ahead in case I will have trouble later on.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/04/18 10:19 PM

I no longer own that particular game but I do remember thinking it was pretty difficult when I did play it !!

luck and enjoy yourself hamster

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/09/18 05:50 AM

I started Return to Mysterious Island tonight, first time playing. Lots of trying everything on everything/everywhere. We'll see.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/09/18 06:07 AM

A good game, oldbroad, with a decent story and a mixture of puzzle difficulty yes

Hope you enjoy it thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/09/18 06:08 PM

I had already peeked at the walkthrough when I ran into the monkeys throwing stones at me and could not scare them away (and don't think I ever would have gotten them). I thought maybe there might be some strategic hint but I saw I didn't really have to scare them at that point. I especially don't like using the walkthrough with non linear games because I see things I'm not ready to see, but they are also too hard for somebody to give you hints and help. Too hard to know what a person has done or not done.

I fired up my XP this morning and am going to load The Arrangement to see about a replay of that also.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/09/18 11:18 PM

I must have liked the Mysterious Island game well enough because I still have it and I don't hang on to games I doubt I'll re-play smile
[But can't have liked the sequel. I didn't keep that !!]

Don't seem to remember ever playing "The Arrangement" though.
I'll have to go look and see what it's about grin

EDIT :
Finished KQ6 and have now loaded Blade Runner yay Just have to hope I make it through the bomb scene eek

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/10/18 05:20 AM

Ah, going Darkside on us for awhile huh Mad?

I am enjoying Return to Mysterious Island quite a bit but really thought I hit a dead end (even though one of the reviews says you can't). I was trapped in Granite House for the longest time. I had tried to kill a robot with my bow and arrow but couldn't do it and did not have what I needed to load my rifle or the cannon. I went through item after item in inventory and at the fireplace trying to get something to work. Finally I tried the exit with the bow and arrow again and got the robot fairly quick that time. Found a way to load my rifle, killed another robot with that and then my game froze on me. Had to hit my power button to get out of it but was able to stop my system from shutting down or restarting. (Must have hit the power button just right to get to the desktop and then it gave me the option to cancel the shutdown.) Anyway, I hope the game is okay when I go back in. Fortunately, I had just saved before
that. I think I had the game open too long and it overheated or something.

Never got around to loading The Arrangement!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/10/18 06:19 AM

Glad you are enjoying the game, oldbroad.
It's one I haven't re-played as yet but I have no doubt I will at some time smile

Blade Runner is a 1997 Adventure game which, however, I HAVE re-played. And a couple of times.
It's a splendid one !! laugh

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/10/18 06:27 AM

Hm. Sounds like an action game. Google says it is point and click adventure.

Have fun with it Mad!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/11/18 09:02 AM

It's definitely classed as an Adventure, oldbroad. And it is a very good one.
But ....
There is certainly one particular scene that requires quick reactions (and that I'm not keen on) but perseverance in the past has got me through it and hopefully will get me through it again when I get to it this time woozy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/11/18 07:17 PM

Good luck with that particular scene. Didn't you keep a save after it for future plays? I do not see it available anywhere but if GOG gets it, maybe I will check it out.

I finished Mysterious Island last night. Soon I will move onto the 2nd game but first, some things in between I think. I very much enjoyed the game!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/12/18 07:07 AM

It's difficult to use a saved game with Blade Runner.
Being a non-linear game you would have to do everything in the same order as when you previously played and made the save.
[ I did try it once !! laugh ]
Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed your Mysterious Island game bravo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/12/18 05:34 PM

Ah, yes. I understand that then, about the saved game.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/12/18 06:23 PM

Good luck with Blade Runner, Mad. I have it installed and it has been patiently waiting for me. smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/13/18 04:51 AM

I'm currently replaying Blackwell Epiphany and Secret Files: Tunguska, which means I'm playing two red headed heroines. grin I consider one game considerably stronger than the other (hint: Blackwell Epiphany grin), but Secret Files: Tunguska is so much fun and so silly with some of the lines that they say. grin The two games make a nice contrast with one another, and I'm enjoying both a great deal. thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/13/18 05:26 AM

I still haven't played any of the Secret Files game but have been thinking about trying to squeeze in a replay of the Blackwell games.

Glad you're enjoying both!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/13/18 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Marian
Good luck with Blade Runner, Mad. I have it installed and it has been patiently waiting for me. smile

My installation is patiently waiting also, Marian. I haven't had time to do anything except watch the opening cut scenes so far !! shocked

Edit : Neglected to say thank you, Marian !! shame

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/14/18 06:31 AM

Thanks, oldbroad. Hope you enjoy the Blackwell games if you replay them. It's a great series. thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/19/18 03:03 PM

Wow !! I had half forgotten just how addictive Blade Runner is.
Really enjoying my re-play VERY much happydance

And enjoy yourself with the Blackwell series, oldbroad. Some nice games to get to grips with thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/19/18 05:50 PM

I probably won't be re-playing Blackwell for awhile though it is on my radar, along with a bunch of other games.

I'm glad you are enjoying your replay of Blade Runner so much! Did you get past the scene you were concerned about?

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/19/18 07:12 PM

No. I haven't got far enough into the game yet so that pleasure is still to come !! evil

Yes. I have plenty of games "still to get to" as well, oldbroad. It's a case of big enjoyment - but just one small step at a time laugh

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/20/18 07:24 AM

I'm replaying Dreamfall now. It's my least favorite game in the series, but it's still fantastic. I remember I used to find the action segments challenging, but I can just breeze right past them now, as I've played the game so many times now, and I know all its tricks. evil lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/20/18 06:16 PM

I know you really like the game venus so I know you will be enjoying re-playing it for the "??th" time lol

Couldn't get into it myself .... even though I did give it many hours of a go ....
Just wasn't what I like OR expected whistle

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/20/18 08:13 PM

Have fun with Dreamfall venus. I wish I could breeze through the action parts of the game. I did not like Dreamfall Chapters too much BUT someday I plan to replay it and see how it goes then. Sometimes things go better on the replays. It will be a long while for that though. lol

Mad - I know you didn't think The Arrangement was your cup of tea and never played it but I did enjoy my replay, I think as much as I did the first play through, although I always remember things just a little different. Not just this game but all of them I've replayed. My memory makes things up sometimes I guess. wink I finished the game last night.

Today I will start Return to Mysterious Island 2 (first play through).

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/20/18 11:02 PM

Thanks, Mad. Glad you're enjoying Blade Runner. I've never played it before, so I'm sure I'd struggle through that part you're referring to. lol It looks like an excellent game, from what I've seen. Good luck with that section when you get there. grin

Oldbroad, Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters are two different games. Chapters is actually my favorite of the series because I think it has the most in depth characters and world building as a whole. Just exploring and talking to the characters was so much fun for me, as there were so many little touches that made the world(s) feel alive. There were some plot points I didn't like in the end, but those were (relatively) minor when compared the things I especially enjoyed.

I think the second game, Dreamfall, actually has the best plot in the series, but since characters matter to me more, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the other two, although I still think it's a fantastic entry in my favorite series. The only reason I can breeze through the action sequences now is because I've played the game so many times, I have them memorized. lol Plus, I skip the combat whenever I have the option. evil In general, I'm terrible at action sequences and prefer they not be included. I'll put up with them if I have to, in order play a game that interests me, though.

April will always remain my favorite protagonist of the series, though Zoe came a lot closer after Chapters, and Kian is way up there for me as well now. smile

Have fun with Return to Mysterious Island 2, even if it isn't a replay! grin Have you played the originals?

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/21/18 12:18 AM

Oldbroad, Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters are two different games.
Have fun with Return to Mysterious Island 2, even if it isn't a replay! grin Have you played the originals?

Hi venus. I know that Dreamfall and Chapters are two different games. I didn't make a mistake when I said I didn't like Chapters too much, although, I didn't actually like Dreamfall as much the second time I played it as the first time. So far I've only played Chapters one time.

Thanks regarding RMI2 but what do you mean by "Have you played the originals?" Plural? I just recently played the first game. I don't know of any other ones.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/21/18 12:42 AM

Honestly, I'm surprised that people like Dreamfall more than Chapters, but to each their own. yes Chapters seemed much more "adventure gamer" friendly than Dreamfall to me, due to the (somewhat) more challenging puzzles and the lack of action sequences. Also, as I said, I just found it more in depth character wise. They wrote Zoe and Kian the way I'd wished they'd written them in Dreamfall. I felt they were finally as fleshed out as April had been in the first game.

Sorry, I wondered if I'd made a mistake. lol I don't really play first person games, so I'm not familiar with the series. I thought maybe there was a Mysterious Island, a Return to Mysterious Island, and then a Return to Mysterious Island 2. Looks like I was wrong. grin Enjoy the sequel, regardless. thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 05/21/18 01:47 AM

Well, that's part of why I plan to one day replay Chapters even though I didn't care for it too much. I may have been frustrated by some things and maybe in a replay I will like it better. Some day, maybe, I'll find out. wink

I thought maybe I was the one who was missing something (regarding Mysterious Island).

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/10/18 11:45 AM

Now I finally did it! Started re-playing a game first time in my gaming history covering over 200 games. Today I started re-playing The Testament of Sherlock Holmes.

The main motivation for doing so is that when I played it the first time in January 2014 I had less powerful PC with GTX 260 graphics card and running Windows XP. I often experienced black screen, screen stuttering or crash to desktop which took away great part of the fun while fearing some hiccup to happen all the time.

Now I have a more capable PC which already is 2.5 years old though but it runs the game smooth with max graphics on WQHD (2560x1440) screen. Only vague memories of the opening and tutorial scene returned to my mind when I started playing it but I believe I'll have much more fun with the game that I had back then.

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/10/18 04:43 PM

Enjoy your replay, Timo! It sounds like you will enjoy it a lot more this time around. yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/10/18 05:28 PM

TJL, we're both re-playing Sherlock Holmes games. thumbsup I'm replaying Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, as I've only played it once. It's a lot of fun, although I still think the one you are playing, Testament, is the best of the series. thumbsup Glad you're able to enjoy it properly now. woot

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/10/18 07:40 PM

Excellent reason to replay the game TJL. Have fun with it!

I'm currently replaying the Ankh series, close to the end of the first game.
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/11/18 01:56 AM

I just finished a Re-Play of both The Room 1&2...love these games my only complaint is they are over much too quick. snicker Does anyone know if they are going to release Room 3&4 for the PC?

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/11/18 02:44 AM

Greyfuss, here is the latest development regarding Room 3 - Room 3 PC Update

I really enjoy them too!

Ana wave

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/11/18 02:52 AM

Thanks Sheriff

At least there is hope. I am a bit confused with the article...Is The Room: Old Sins actually Room 4 since they say they are still working on that?

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/11/18 03:00 AM

The Room: Old Sins is the 4th in the series. It was released shortly after that update on Room 3 going to PC.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/11/18 03:11 AM

Woo Hoo

Hopefully they can get a PC version out for that one too!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/11/18 03:38 AM

They released the Amazon/Kindle version of 4 at the end of May so I believe 4 is all released now on various mobile devices. I hope that means they can focus on the porting of the PC versions.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/11/18 04:26 AM

I am not sure it will play on my 12 year old Flip Phone smirk

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/11/18 01:01 PM

lol Let's just hope for the PC version!
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/12/18 07:02 AM

Just started Riven again, the game that really cemented my love of that stye
Posted By: Tristy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/13/18 03:44 AM

I'm replaying Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time. I forgot how fun this game is. I love Arthur and his colorful commentary, and I love all the interesting historical information. happydance

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/13/18 01:29 PM

Journeyman Project 3 is my favourite of the series and I've re-played it several times happydance

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/13/18 08:42 PM

Another series I have but haven't played (sigh).

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/16/18 04:51 AM

Yesterday I started my replay of Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris and tonight I started a replay of Sentinel: Descendants in Time in my XP machine. I have to get used to the movement in the game as it makes me a little nauseous but I remember really liking this game. I only played a very short time, just long enough to get me to my first location. (Probably 5 minutes of play time that took me 45 minutes.) Whoo Hoo!

TJL, hope you are enjoying your replay of Testament of Sherlock Holmes

flotsam, I hope you're enjoying Riven (another game I need to replay).

Tristy, I hope you're enjoying Journeyman Project 2

Mad, are you back playing yet at all?

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/16/18 06:52 AM

TJL, hope you are enjoying your replay of Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Thanks oldbroad, yes I really do! It is totally different experience with smooth graphics on 27" screen. As I played I began to remember the main part of the story but there are also lots of little things I have forgotton in 4+ years. So it feels like half new.

Maybe I just start re-playing all my 200+ games from start again. No need for any new ones, ever. Just kidding! But certainly I will re-play some of them, now having started.

Enjoy your plays and re-plays, everyone! smile

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/16/18 01:20 PM

Not back yet, oldbroad, but hopefully soon !! yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/16/18 01:44 PM

Testament of Sherlock Holmes is a fine game dance
I played it a couple of months ago and had a great time wave

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/17/18 03:37 PM

I seem to be in the mood for sequels now. I have a new game I have to focus on, but if/when I have time in between, I think I'm going to replay Runaway 2: Dream of the Turtle and The Book of Unwritten Tales 2. The latter is probably going to take me forever to get through, as it's roughly a 25 hour game. grin

TJL, I go through a long list of games that I like to replay, too, going all the way back to King's Quest I. lol That sounds like a great plan to me. grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/17/18 05:20 PM

TJL, I go through a long list of games that I like to replay, too, going all the way back to King's Quest I. lol That sounds like a great plan to me. grin

venus,

I finished my The Testament of Sherlock Holmes re-play today. Liked it very much and the end scene with Beethoven's 7th playing on background almost brought tears in my eyes.

Now I'm thinking of re-playing Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened which introduced me to the motion sickness! Until I realised what was going on I became so sick that I threw up and had to play rest of the game in short periods. The remastered version has option to switch between first and third person gameplay which I hope to solve the problem.

I also bought whole Black Mirror trilogy from GOG summer sale for re-play. I think my originals are DVD versions and wanted to make it sure they run on Windows 10.

Does any of you know if there is a non-disk version of Scratches that runs of Windows 10? I liked the atmosphere of the game very much when playing it years ago but I was never able to finish it on Windows XP because of crash to desktop every time I entered one room near the end of the game.

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/17/18 05:21 PM

I seem to spend more than half the time I allow for playing games, re-playing those I very much like.
Simply because I like them so much !! happydance

So when I'll ever get to the bottom of my stack of "not yet played's" (which will no doubt hold even more goodies to treasure) who the heck knows ????

But what a great way to "carry on regardless" lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/17/18 05:48 PM

TJL - The Awakened gave me motion sickness also and to top it off the whole game was distorted because of some Nvidia something or other (can't remember quite what it was) that I should have downloaded or updated or something. At first I thought the game was supposed to look that way but eventually figured out that it shouldn't. I played it anyway and wondered why everybody liked it so much. I have the remastered version now but still haven't felt like a replay of it. I never made it through Nemesis which was also giving me motion sickness, but also because the computer I was playing in broke down and I never had it fixed. Have not felt like attempting it again. The Sherlock Holmes game I SHOULD play but haven't is Jack the Ripper. It is a story line I really like but for some reason still never played the game. I hope you enjoy other future replays just as much. For me, some are better and some not as good. I don't find that remembered "atmosphere" really holds up on the replays.

venus - I liked the Runaway games but 7 years after playing the 2nd game it still TICKS me off that it ended on a cliffhanger. Had I known that (which maybe I would have if I had read any reviews) I would not have chosen to play it at the time I did. And then the 3rd game didn't even close the cliffhanger up as far as I can remember. That kind of ruined the series for me but someday I will probably replay it all.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/18/18 04:37 AM

TJL, wow, sorry about your motion sickness! I've only played The Awakened in 3rd person, as the remastered version was already out by the time I got it. I have no idea if I'd have the same experience, but it sounds terrible. Hope your replay is much better! I agree, Testament was great; I think it was the best of the series. Enjoy the Black Mirror trilogy! It's a great series as well. smile

Mad, I know what you mean. lol At least you'll never run out of games to play. grin

Oldbroad, I can understand that. I really enjoyed the 2nd Runaway, as it was the longest, and I didn't mind that it ended on a cliffhanger that much at the time, as I was pretty sure they would continue. The 3rd game was good, but it was my least favorite of the series, as it was much shorter, and Sushi wasn't featured at all. Part of me really wanted Brian to end up with her, as I thought they were a better match. lol I did end up finally liking Gina as a character in the 3rd game, though, so it had that going for it. smile At least Runaway concluded its story. The Book of Unwritten Tales may never get a 3rd part, and it really needs one. I don't regret playing the game, as it's really good, but it's a shame that it ended the way it did. I definitely recommend Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper. Personally, it's my second favorite of the series after Testament.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/18/18 05:06 AM

Now I'm thinking of re-playing Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened which introduced me to the motion sickness! Until I realised what was going on I became so sick that I threw up and had to play rest of the game in short periods. The remastered version has option to switch between first and third person gameplay which I hope to solve the problem.

I got motion sickness with the 1st person version of The Awakened. After the 3rd person version was released, I replayed it and the 3rd person view fixed the motion sickness problem. There are however a few points in the game where you may want to briefly switch to 1st person to orient yourself or examine something.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/18/18 04:06 PM

Thanks oldbroad, venus and Jenny100! It's comforting to know the remastered version of The Awakened with optional third person view makes playing easier for us suffering from motion sickness.

Having to switch between modes in some rare occasions is not any problem, I found that easiest way in The Testament at times already.

Back to The Testament - I especially enjoyed those somewhat challenging puzzles like finding James' desk in classroom with given hints and 'similar' jungle shooting range puzzle in fun fair. On the opposite all the lock picking puzzles were easiest of all times. One puzzle about which I had no clue at all was disabling the bombs around London using coloured buttons that lit and unlit according pressing them. It was sheer luck I solved it, I admit! crazy

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/18/18 06:27 PM

Sheer luck works for me thumbsup I rely on it frequently myself!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/19/18 03:09 PM

One puzzle about which I had no clue at all was disabling the bombs around London using coloured buttons that lit and unlit according pressing them. It was sheer luck I solved it, I admit! crazy

Sheer luck works for me thumbsup I rely on it frequently myself!

Thank heavens it was only a game - in real life I would not wish to rely on sheer luck when disarming bombs! laugh

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/19/18 07:54 PM

I just purchased "Awakened Remastered" from GOG. because of your recommendations. I have the original version, but the graphics on this newer one are awesome. I'm working between the GB WT and Louis's, so I'm covered. LOL
Thanks so much for your input. Boomers.
Sandy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/20/18 06:46 PM

"Awakened" is still my favourite of the Sherlock series thumbsup

Although I haven't tried "The Devil's Daughter" after I read about all the timed stuff it contained thumbsdown

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/20/18 06:48 PM

I think Frogwares has put up saved games for most if not all of the timed stuff in Devil's Daughter - not that this is the ideal way to play a game, but it's better than nothing.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/21/18 04:11 AM

Thanks, Marian. I didn't know that. But I doubt I'll play it by using lots of saved games. Not much fun there whistle

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/21/18 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Thanks, Marian. I didn't know that. But I doubt I'll play it by using lots of saved games. Not much fun there whistle

I agree - I don't particularly want to play it that way either.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/27/18 06:51 PM

I'm very much looking forward to a re-play of Lighthouse the Dark Being - now I have the GOG version happydance

But sadly, I'm not that far into my re-play of Blade Runner as yet. The two heat waves here in the UK - one recent and one current - have addled my brain and left me incapable of rational (or, for Adventure games, irrational wink ) thought !!
Posted By: gamenut

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/27/18 08:51 PM

Yes I thought the first Black Mirror was the best..found the next one dull and tedious.
Riven is my all time game of the oldies. loved the whole thing (well the puzz were hard for me but finally with help of walkthrough got them!) but loved the artwork, the flow from one spot to another...the Music!!!!! did like # but after that the action/timed stuff pretty much did me in...such a shame... I still have my winxp. several years ago had a pc person come get and added more oomph to it and when he brought it back i was moving some stuff around and just asked him to set it on the floor (i had it in a large carry bag with a top..remember those BIG HEAVY 'towers'??? Well I STILL have not gotten it back on its table! I can't lift things much anymore and no one else around..but one oe these days !!!!! Will have lots of good gamed to replay. AND i have a whole big bookcase filled with them! Thats when games came in a big box and I drooled when i got one.! got all my boxes too! AND a huge box of printed out walkthroughs!! I think my son is going to come for a visit in a couple months and see if can get him to lift up the XP and help me hood it up.
SAY reminds me..anyone here have one of those Telekin computers i have seen advertised on tv? what do you think of them and are they any good for gaming?

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/28/18 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: gamenut
anyone here have one of those Telekin computers i have seen advertised on tv? what do you think of them and are they any good for gaming?

Telekin computers don't run Windows. They run a type of Linux -- according to Wikipedia, it's a fork of Tiny Core Linux and customized for Telekin.

Telekin computers have a touch screen and are mainly meant for people who want a computer for email, chat, word processing, web browsing, and similar. They aren't meant for Windows games. They probably have some built-in casual games like Bubble Bobble and Solitaire, which most Linux has. But you'd be very limited in what games you could play on them.

Find out more at the Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telekin
or the website
http://www.telikin.com
http://www.telikin.com/telikin_freedom

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/28/18 07:18 PM

Never heard of that Telekin.

I have finished Ankh 2 and will move on to Ankh 3 soon. I'm working on a puzzle in Sentinel that has me going back and forth a lot. I've gotten used to the movement in the game but can't go back and forth too fast or I get sick, and this particular puzzle has me going up and down a spiral 12 story tower. Oh well, I love this game!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 06/28/18 07:25 PM

About the motion sickness.
I also suffer from sensitive eyes,
but I was able to play most of The Awakened,
changing the mouse sensitivity does help
a lot.

luck
Posted By: Tristy

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 07/03/18 05:25 AM

Oh me too Mad! I love the 3rd Journeyman Project the best grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 07/03/18 05:59 AM

Less having to "mess with gadgets" suits me just fine, Tristy, which is one of the reasons it's my favourite of the series lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 07/19/18 05:23 PM

Unfortunately the 3rd person option of the remastered version of Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened was a disappointment. I was hoping something like 'over the shoulder' view but it was only clumsy 'follow the click walk'. It was often impossible to get a view from angle needed and 80 % of the time you were still forced to use the 1st person view. I can't remember from my first play through if it was possible to walk with left mouse button down or using WASD only. This time I found it tolerable to walk with mouse that caused almost no sign of motion sickness.

The story was good, playtime long according current standards and some puzzles still very challenging. I think I used walkthrough three times and that's too many, I usually manage without. But I didn't give up easily, used hours for each until finally became too frustrated.

Starting re-play of The Black Mirror II next.

Oh, and before SH I played The Amazing Adventures of Captain Spirit. Didn't find this new demo as captivating as previous LIS games. And the dad's mobile PIN code puzzle was a total flop by my opinion. That was the only one for which I had to use the walktrough. Afterwards I checked PIN code from Wiki and for my great surprise I learnt that mobile PIN code can actually be as long as long as 10 digits. But even then, why would dad choose such a code?

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 07/19/18 08:26 PM

Sorry you were disappointed with the 3rd person option of the remastered version of SH: The Awakened. I hope you enjoy your replay of Black Mirror II!

Like you, I do my best to stay away from walkthroughs but actually use them more than I think I do. I recently had to use one while playing Sentinel after going most of the game without it, however, due to misunderstanding the clue, I was making a lot of repetitious movements (trying to solve the puzzle by process of elimination/trial and error) which caused the game to start crashing and freezing. I had a lot of trouble trying to get out of the game without wrecking my XP computer which has a broken start button. I could not get to the desktop or Task Manager. I decided it was best to use the walkthrough to solve that particular puzzle. I just have one more "world" to visit in the game.

Last week I finished my replay of the Ankh series and I must say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not sure yet what I'll replay next but two days ago I started a first playthrough of Journey to the Center of the Earth. So far, so good, although I am stuck in it at the moment.

I don't know anything about mobile PIN codes, so no comment on that!

wave

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 07/20/18 01:27 PM

TJL, that's a shame about Awakened. I do remember I had to switch to first person a couple of times, but for the most part, I was able to complete everything in third. Sorry it didn't work out that way for you. frown I also prefer the over the shoulder view offered in Testament and Crimes and Punishments as well, as their point and click option does tend to be clunky. Hope your Black Mirror 2 replay is better! That's such a great series.

I enjoyed The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, though I agree it isn't as captivating as the main series. Then again, I didn't really expect it to be. When I found out what the code was later and where it led, I wasn't overly disappointed, as all I had missed out on was a mini arcade hotdog game. lol It's cute, but I'm not really into arcade games. I liked Chris a lot, but I hope we're playing someone a bit older in the sequel. I'm not sure a little kid could carry a game like Life is Strange, though I could be wrong, of course.

Oldbroad, I never played Ankh, but I enjoyed the original Jack Keane by the same developers. (The sequel, not quite as much. lol) I notice the Ankh games are available on Steam, so I may pick them up sometime. thumbsup Hope you enjoy Journey to the Center of the Earth. I thought it was a fun game. thumbsup

I'm mostly focused on a new game now, but in between, I've been replaying Culpa Innata. thumbsup It's still one of my favorites, though it's a shame that there will never be a sequel, and the intriguing side story (which I assume would have become the "main" story in the series) will never be complete. I really like how nonlinear the order of the visits can be, and I don't think I've ever replayed the game the same way twice. thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 07/22/18 03:32 PM

Like you, I do my best to stay away from walkthroughs but actually use them more than I think I do. I recently had to use one while playing Sentinel after going most of the game without it, however, due to misunderstanding the clue, I was making a lot of repetitious movements (trying to solve the puzzle by process of elimination/trial and error) which caused the game to start crashing and freezing. I had a lot of trouble trying to get out of the game without wrecking my XP computer which has a broken start button. I could not get to the desktop or Task Manager. I decided it was best to use the walkthrough to solve that particular puzzle. I just have one more "world" to visit in the game.

Years ago I used even days for some hard puzzle or point in game but then in couple of cases it appeared there was some bug or glitch that had prevented me solving it forever had I not started from an earlier savepoint and done something 'correct'. Nowadays a couple of hours stucked is my limit, Then I start to delicately reveal the solution little by little if possible and do as much as I can on my own.

I too know too well the situation where you repeatedly try something and the game is poorly optimised or whatever causing it to freeze, CTD or in worst case prevent you from terminating it in any 'normal' way and endangering your save file integrity.

I have played a few Egypt themed games and my next big challenge there is playing Assassin's Creed: Origins. I hope it's challenge lies mostly in stealth instead of more aggressive way of approach.

When I found out what the code was later and where it led, I wasn't overly disappointed, as all I had missed out on was a mini arcade hotdog game. It's cute, but I'm not really into arcade games.

I totally agree what Game Watcher comments on that particular puzzle (beware, it partly reveals the solution):

Click to reveal..
We'll be honest, this is an incredibly terrible puzzle, in many ways. There is no indication that Chris' Dad likes Hawt Dawg Man, PIN codes are 4 numbers rather than 8, the phone goes up to 11 digits so "Hawt Dawg Man" makes more sense... and worst of all, there are no letters on the phone's password screen so you have to work out which letters correspond to which number.

I'm mostly focused on a new game now, but in between, I've been replaying Culpa Innata. It's still one of my favorites, though it's a shame that there will never be a sequel, and the intriguing side story (which I assume would have become the "main" story in the series) will never be complete.

I remember having played Culpa Innata. It's a pity that for a reason or other not even many good games do not get a sequel to finish their story. I believe one of the most waited games waiting for their sequel(s) is the Crown trilogy/quadology or whatever we've been (mostly) patiently waiting for over a decade now. In the light of resent years I get a feeling of developers reaching perfectness and I hope the time doesn't run too fast for them in what the majority expects from a new game from technical aspect. It's not so important for me, the great story is what matters most. But it doesn't harm to get as wide audience as possible, to make them commercial success and enable continuation.

Continuing to enjoy re-play of Black Mirror II. Only partial memories from first playthrough years ago.

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 07/22/18 05:39 PM

Quote:

Years ago I used even days for some hard puzzle or point in game but then in couple of cases it appeared there was some bug or glitch that had prevented me solving it forever had I not started from an earlier savepoint and done something 'correct'. Nowadays a couple of hours stucked is my limit, Then I start to delicately reveal the solution little by little if possible and do as much as I can on my own.

Same here. I remember when I played Atlantis: The Lost Tales. The game let me into an area I could not leave without solving a puzzle but I needed an item that I had not picked up before entering that area. I don't know how long I spent trying to solve that puzzle before looking at the walkthrough only to find out I needed to go to a prior save to pick up that item and then continue on to the next area.

How long I'll spend on a puzzle sometimes depends on how much I like the puzzle or whether I think I'll actually be able to solve it or not. Sometimes I post in the "hints" forum rather than look at a walkthrough and risk seeing more than I want to see. With my Sentinel problem, once I saw that I misunderstood the clue, I did try a different method to try to figure out the puzzle but still wasn't getting it, and was just too worried about the game freezing up again. I didn't go straight for the solution.

Glad you are enjoying your replay of Black Mirror II!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 07/31/18 06:11 PM

Finished my Black Mirror II re-play yesterday. I was surprised how little I remembered from my first play through years ago. The graphics were much better than those of BM1 that slightly disturbed my gaming experience. It felt good to manage totally without walkthrough. I was glad to notice and remember BM2 is equipped with autosave mechanism that saved you from losing even several hours of progress should you happen to 'die'. Hard to decide which game to take next. When you have time to play on weekends only (or mostly) you tend to become quite picky and use that time well.

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 07/31/18 06:55 PM

Glad you enjoyed your replay of Black Mirror II TJL! Is Black Mirror III on your radar? Let us know what you choose to play next.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 07/31/18 10:17 PM

I finally finished Testament of Sherlock Holmes. I have been at it on and off for a long time. I could never figure out getting across the gallery. I found a walkthrough that had pictures and finally I was able to finish the game. I played it in 3rd person, but, I found out that sometimes I had to go to 1st person to see things better. I like that in a game - where you can do 3rd person and 1st person. Also, I really liked that if I was working on a puzzle for quite a while, it would give the skip button. I think all games should do that. There is nothing worse than a puzzle that you can't figure out and not being able to finish a game.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/01/18 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: mbday630
I played it in 3rd person, but, I found out that sometimes I had to go to 1st person to see things better. I like that in a game - where you can do 3rd person and 1st person. Also, I really liked that if I was working on a puzzle for quite a while, it would give the skip button. I think all games should do that. There is nothing worse than a puzzle that you can't figure out and not being able to finish a game.

I agree with ALL that !!!! 😎

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/01/18 05:42 PM

Hi,

I am having great difficulties deciding which game to play next.
So I listed all my games owned but never played too see how many choices I actually have.
Didn't make my decision any easier.
There are also several games that came along some bundle as 'extra' and I have no idea whether I ever gonna play them.

01 The 7th Guest
02 The 11th Hour
03 Alice: Madness Returns
04 Assassin's Creed®: Director's Cut
05 Assassin's Creed II
06 Assassin's Creed®: Origins
07 Back to the Future: The Game
08 Batman™: Arkham Origins
09 Beneath a Steel Sky
10 Beyond Good and Evil™
11 Bully: Scholarship Edition
12 The Cat Lady
13 Closure
14 Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, The
15 The Chronicles of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night's Dream
16 The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet
17 The Crew
18 The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
19 The Darkness II
20 Dead Space
21 Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut
22 Deponia Doomsday
23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
24 Dragonsphere
25 Dominique Pamplemousse
26 Far Cry® Blood Dragon
27 F.E.A.R.
28 F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point
29 F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate
30 F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
31 F.E.A.R. 3
32 The Flame in the Flood
33 Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
34 Grand Theft Auto III
35 Grand Theft Auto IV
36 Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
37 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
38 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
39 Grim Fandango Remastered
40 Guardians of Middle-earth
41 Harry Potternd The Deadly Hallows™
42 I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
43 Jazzpunk: Director's Cut
44 The Journey Down: Chapter Two
45 Kelvin and the Infamous Machine
46 Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
47 Left 4 Dead
48 Left 4 Dead 2
49 The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
50 Magrunner: Dark Pulse
51 Metro: Last Light Redux
52 Moment of Silence, The
53 Mortal Kombat Kollection
54 NaissanceE
55 Neverending Nightmares
56 Odysseus Kosmos and his Robot Quest: Adventure Game
57 Omerta: City of Gangsters
58 Oxenfree
59 Outlast
60 Oquonie
61 Pathologic
62 Real Myst
63 Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space
64 Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse
65 Sam & Max Save the World
66 Subject 13
67 Sunless Sea
68 This War of Mine
69 Tomb Raider: Legend
70 Tomb Raider: Underworld
71 Treasure Adventure Game
72 Tropico 4
73 Tyrian 2000
74 Ultima™ 4: Quest of the Avatar
75 Warsow
76 The Whispered World Special Edition
77 The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
78 The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings - Enhanced Edition
79 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
80 World in Conflict
81 Worlds of Ultima™ : The Savage Empire
82 XCOM: Enemy Unknown
83 Yesterday Origins

Now I'm asking your help to find me a 'nice' game offering some 5 to 15 hours of gameplay on that list to start next.
I would also appreciate a game that is storywise easy to stop playing any time and continue some other day or time.
Any recommendations?

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/01/18 07:27 PM

Most of these games are not my type of game and some of them I have but have not played yet either, so my vote would have to be #18 The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/01/18 07:34 PM

I would also appreciate a game that is storywise easy to stop playing any time and continue some other day or time.

So you want a casual game?
Maybe one of those "Chronicles of Shakespeare" games then.

The Sam & Max games and Back to the Future are also relatively short games, not too difficult, from Telltale while they were still making classic adventures -- before they started making CYOA/QTE games instead.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/02/18 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

So you want a casual game?

No, I must have expressed myself poorly. I still like full bodied adventures and action games too. But I would like to find a game within my list which don't take more than a month to play through if I am able to play let's say 4-5 hours each weekend. And such a game whose story consists of 1-2 hours long chapters or which you can stop quite freely at almost any point without breaking the natural flow of the story.

Thanks for your recommendations oldbroad and Jenny100! smile

I would appreciate some more recommendations perhaps with your opinion what you like in that game specially.

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/03/18 05:01 PM

Have you not yet played Gabriel Knight 2 ?? If not, I would certainly suggest that.
And if you can cope with ancient graphics, Dragonsphere is another.
Also, oldbroad's suggestion is an excellent one.

However, as people play at different speeds, it's difficult to say how long anyone might take to complete a game.
And also when to "end a play session" will vary considerably from person to person.

But these three games certainly carry good storylines smile

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/03/18 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Have you not yet played Gabriel Knight 2 ?? If not, I would certainly suggest that.

I agree with Mad - if you haven't played this game, it should be a top priority!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/05/18 03:58 AM

Ditto, but Oxenfree warrants your attention sometime soon.
And FEAR when you want an FPS

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/05/18 04:43 AM

I finished Journey to the Center of the Earth a couple f days ago. It was good except moving the protagonist around. She didn't want to go where I wanted her to go and by the last 1/3 of the game I was losing patience and consulting the walkthough.

Last night I started Memento Mori. I will need to find something else to play though so I can switch off when I get stuck or just need a change. I tried to play The Sacred Amulet in my XP but it will not work.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/05/18 10:35 AM

Tropico IV is my hint for you, It's a great city-builder, yes
instead of an adventure, but you will have lots of fun
with it. You're a dictator on a tropical island who
must try to keep his people happy by building the
things they need or (true to the word) be a real dictator
and be a harsh ruler. scared

The risk is than there might be a revolt.
But you'll have soldiers and the secret police!
(That might save you're career (and life!) or not ...
You'll have different tasks to fullfill
to win an assignment. You can regard an assignment
as a Chapter.

The series have been a big hit in Germany.
I had lots of fun with Tropico 3 and 4
(have 5 as well ...) yay (Bananarepublic! snicker)

Rob luck

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/05/18 05:50 PM

I tried to play The Sacred Amulet in my XP but it will not work.

There was a thread about XP patches for Sacred Amulet/Aztec here
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/999139/1
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/999139/2
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/999139/3
There were some unofficial patches made that allowed it to run on XP (separate patches for different languages and for CD vs DVD), but most of the links in that thread don't work anymore.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/05/18 06:42 PM

Yes, thanks Jenny100. I had found that thread and clicked on the link titled English/International CD Patch posted by KSE which is supposed to go to 4shared.com and my Malwarebytes and Norton both went CRAZY! I didn't try any others.

EDIT: Ok, I tried the link that Iurii posted for the Polish CD patch (under "or here")and have downloaded the AztecPL5.zip. I'll give it a try if it's not too complicated for me.

2nd EDIT: I've continued this over in Glitches. Thanks!

3rd EDIT: Thanks to Iurii's patch and Jenny100's help installing it, I am also now playing The Sacred Amulet.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/06/18 09:15 AM

Yeah !! happydance happydance happydance

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/06/18 04:20 PM

Thanks for your recommendations concerning my "which game to take next?" -list. Gabriel Knight 2 got most votes and that is what I take then, but not until next weekend. The others will have to wait their turn, but your other recommendations stay on top. And you can always give more hints, the pile is not empty any day soon.

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/06/18 04:46 PM

Have fun with Gabriel Knight 2 then TJL. I may have recommended it but I haven't played it yet either so I couldn't.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/09/18 06:53 PM

TJL, enjoy Gabriel Knight 2! I consider it one of the best games ever made, and it's my favorite of the series. All 3 games are amazing, in fact. smile

I also strongly recommend The Cat Lady and/or The Moment of Silence once you're finished. Also, I agree with flotsam, definitely give Oxenfree a try. thumbsup

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/09/18 07:08 PM

Have fun with Gabriel Knight 2 then TJL. I may have recommended it but I haven't played it yet either so I couldn't.

eek You need to rectify that very soon!

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/09/18 08:28 PM

I know, I know!! Gabe, Tex, Monkey Island. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/09/18 10:07 PM

A very long etc etc etc .... oldbroad !!!!

You are worse than ME and that's sayin' somethin' rotfl
Posted By: Thorsgoats

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/11/18 02:52 AM

I plan on replaying The Lost Crown and The Last Crown Midnight Horror around October. I really hope that The Last Crown Blackenrock comes out soon. I've been waiting to play that game forever.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/11/18 04:19 AM

Thorsgoats, I know what you mean! Hopefully, that game will make it out one of these days. It's becoming mythical at this point. lol
Posted By: Thorsgoats

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/12/18 04:31 AM

Venus, I like the screeshots that were posted a long time ago. I hope the game comes out soon before the screenshots become a distant memory.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/12/18 03:28 PM

Started playing Gabriel Knight 2 today. Played the first chapter and liked the story but not the overall quality of the graphics. Any hints to make the game look even a bit more decent on NVIDIA GTX 970 and WQHD (2560x1440) screen? Tried this and that already but I believe there are plenty of DOSBox specialists here who can do miracles with right settings. I'm playing the GOG version. Thanks in advance.

Timo

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/13/18 03:16 AM

I'm rather sceptical of you being able to improve the graphics.
[Although I'm no techie !!]

This is a really old game (1995) and the mere fact of being able to play it on a modern machine is wonderful .... to me anyway yes

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/13/18 03:20 AM

TJL, if you want to talk about Gabriel Knight and graphical options, please post your questions over in Glitches where our techies hang out. wave

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/16/18 05:45 AM

I finished Memento Mori a few days ago and The Sacred Amulet tonight. Both games were pretty good although I did have trouble finding my way around one area of The Sacred Amulet.

Tonight I started Memento Mori 2 and played for about an hour. So far, I'm thinking the first game was better but we'll see how it goes. The voice acting doesn't seem very good in this second game.

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/16/18 12:30 PM

I am playing Faust at the moment.
Had it for years, could not get it
to run (on windows 10) and
after I did (somehow) I never got
past Chapter 1.

Now, with a lot of help
from the various walkthroughs, urock woot
I got to chapter 4, leaving behind
me a lot of frustrating moments
(and the endless repetition of the songs).
I am still intrigued by the game though!

Robert blush

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/16/18 03:23 PM

I like the Faust game - but it's not the most straightforward, I agree grin

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/24/18 05:42 AM

I still get chills thinking of that room scared

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/24/18 02:50 PM

lol lol lol

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/29/18 02:32 AM

I finally finished Memento Mori 2 tonight. Had a few technical glitches but otherwise a long, decent game. Stories often confuse me, but I liked the puzzles well enough.

I had also started Unavowed but haven't played for a few days while I tried to finish Mememnto Mori 2. I'm going back to that and thinking about playing The Crystal Key. Will see! My mind changes from day to day about what to play but that one has been in it for a few days now, but since I haven't yet installed it...

Re: Current Re-Plays and Plays :-) - 08/29/18 01:37 PM

Please continue your conversations here.

This thread has reached it's post limit so I have to lock it. Thanks for sharing and please continue the fun in the new thread!

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community