GB HOMEPAGE

The Five Cores?

Posted By: Murphy

The Five Cores? - 02/13/18 02:38 PM

Hi guys-
Got a hankering for a Myst-like, and ran across this oldie, but it seems to be totally unavailable? Even a previous thread with link to desura.com didn't work...Any fresh ideas?
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/13/18 04:18 PM

I'm not finding it - maybe someone else will know.
Posted By: CaptainD

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/13/18 04:21 PM

I've tried looking for it as abandonware just in case, but no joy there either (at least not so far).
Posted By: Mad

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/13/18 05:23 PM

When I "Googled" for it, I found THESE

is this the game ??

But I don't know if any are safe sites ....
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/13/18 05:32 PM

Murphy,
Check your PM.

The game was released in 2012 according to archived pages at the web archive of neeblagames.com ***here***

There is more information about the game in the developer's postmortem -- what went right, what went wrong, also on the archive of the neeblagames.com website ***here***

Posted By: sanford

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/13/18 10:00 PM

Murphy,
BEWARE of sites that offer "FREE" game downloads. You will get some "free" stuff that you don't want, and it won't be a "game", and it may not be "free". I've been there, done that. Always look for a legitimate game site, such as GOG, Steam, Humble Bundle, Gamersgate, Zodiac, etc. HAPPY GAMING!
Sandy

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/14/18 12:37 AM

I made sure to mention that I didn't know if any of the sites were safe, Sanford ....

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/14/18 01:56 AM

I saw that, Mad. I hope that murphy heeds our warnings.
Posted By: The Haze

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/14/18 03:02 AM

This is a much older game that I played and enjoyed quite a while ago. I later tried one of those "Free" sites to replay it. It took three days and some rather inventive profanity to clear all the crud out of my computer. Sadly, I don't remember which site it was.
Posted By: Marinus_Louis

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/14/18 11:09 AM

Hi

I played The Five Cores in 2014, made a walkthrough for it to and I have still got it.....I could be wrong but I was never aware that this game was then a FREEWARE game. So if any sites offers it as a freeware game I would be very carefull to download it from those sites.

Marinus_Louis
Posted By: mrbill

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/14/18 04:17 PM

It was a purchased game from a single person with the name Neebla Games. Its price was around $10. I placed a copy on a disc. Mark Hasley reviewed it for us and then I played it. I see that my links all need to be dropped.

Take care,

Bill
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/14/18 04:41 PM

FYI, as per GameBoomers rules, we do not support any "free" or "abandonware" website downloads on a game that was not a free game to begin with without some documentation that the developer approves it.

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/14/18 05:07 PM

Good Rule!

This is what Bert Jamin said about the game in his walkthrough.

"Foreword
The Five Cores is made by Neebla Games. You can buy the game for only € 6,99. Is it worth it? Well I can be short about that. It is worth every penny you pay for it and even much more. To be honest with you... it is a very long time ago that I played a game that I loved that much. So my advice... get the game ASAP!"

Bill

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/14/18 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
FYI, as per GameBoomers rules, we do not support any "free" or "abandonware" website downloads on a game that was not a free game to begin with without some documentation that the developer approves it.

Maybe it would be best to delete my post of the download sites I found on Google then, BrownEyedTigre ??

Even though I DID clearly say I couldn't vouch for any of them, I would hate for anyone to suffer if they did decide to visit any shocked

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/14/18 08:32 PM

Anyone can do a Google search, Mad.
There's no need to remove the link.

I wasn't able to find any legitimate seller for The Five Cores using Google though.

If anyone does know of one, please post.

I bought the game direct from the developer's website at neeblagames back when it was active, but that website is gone now.

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
There is more information about the game in the developer's postmortem -- what went right, what went wrong, also on the archive of the neeblagames.com website ***here***

Going by what he posted there, the developer was having trouble solving some peoples' issues playing the game, so he may have stopped selling it because of the support issues.
Posted By: Tally Ho

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/14/18 10:14 PM

Maybe somebody should contact the author and suggest that there is interest in it, and that he offer it for sale again.
It had good reviews (see Mr. Bill above)

I just looked at some screenshots. They are beautiful, but what I would politely call "derivative" (not very original) Who cares? We MYST players love that stuff.

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/15/18 01:18 AM

Tally Ho, the company is closed and the developer is working on art for movies like Despicable Me. He has deleted all his access and emails from Kickstarter and such but he is on FaceBook. I sent him a message but not really expecting an answer. I do not believe he wishes to be contacted.

Ana

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/15/18 01:57 AM

I DO have "The Five Cores". it was a downloaded version, but I'm not sure where I purchased it. could have been through Amazon, or Gamersgate at the time. If I remember, I will let you know. BTW: I loved the game and I had a good Text WT to help me along.
Sandy

Only sites I just found are PHONY and NOT legitimate. BEWARE!

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/15/18 02:04 AM

Funny, I just found this thread here from 4 years ago. Deja Vu lol
Posted By: SirDave

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/16/18 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Funny, I just found this thread here from 4 years ago. Deja Vu lol

Thanks for the link. It refreshed my memory about Five Cores. I posted in that thread that I ran into installation problems (missing msvcrt.dll issue) and once I got it running there was tedious retracing steps and major head bob that made me nauseous. I never came close to completing it.

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/16/18 11:27 PM

Five Cores was released around the same time as a game called Kairo, which was also a 3D game. People generally thought Kairo had better puzzles, even though its graphics looked less "pretty" than The Five Cores. Of course neither game looked as good as a pre-rendered game from 15 years earlier, like Riven.

Kairo is still available at places like Fireflower.
http://fireflowergames.com/shop/kairo/

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/17/18 02:44 AM

I played that game back then without ANY "incident". Great story. wonderful graphics. music, and sounds. I hope you CAN find this game somewhere from a legitimate seller.
Sandy
Posted By: lanomalie

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/17/18 12:16 PM

Hello,

I'm the developer. I no longer support this game but I uploaded it on Gamejolt if anyone is still interested.
If you experience some in-game graphic issues read the description on the game page where I explain how to fix it.

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/17/18 03:19 PM

Thank you so much for stopping in lanomalie! I just got your link in your message so I'll add it here. And thank you for offering it to us!

Download Five Cores Here.

If you have troubles following the instructions, do not post here, post in Glitches for help please! All posts regarding help will be moved.

Once again, thank you so much lanomalie!

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/17/18 03:48 PM

This is much appreciated, lanomalie. Thank you very much. wave

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/17/18 04:05 PM

Hi Jenny,

Wonderful for him to do this.

I have two questions:

1. How large is the download (mine just now says 461 MB). My computer did not want to download anything. Its reason is that this file has not been downloaded in a long time. But it doesn't even want to open a file that I have had on this computer for a couple of years or one I created.

2. The developer says "description on the game page where I explain how to fix it." Can you give the link to this page?

Thank you,

Bill

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/17/18 04:19 PM

mrbill, Jenny? Are you referring to her post on Kairo or my post on Five Cores?

If the latter, the download is 461 MB.

THe instructions are below the download link:
Quote:
Know issues:

Black screen : Disable windows UAC (user account control) and composting.

No sound : Open control panel > Sound > Properties > Advanced > Check "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

Graphic glitch in-game : Open explorer > Program Files > Neebla Games >The Five Cores > Binaries > Win32 > Create a shortcut for T5C.exe and add the parameter -dx11 in the shortcut properties.

Ana wave
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/17/18 05:44 PM

Very nice of you lanomalie.
Thanks!

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/17/18 09:10 PM

Sorry Ana, My Vision goes Bonkers sometimes. One of the reasons for the walkthrough to take so long. I'm now working on the Downloadable Content Portion of the Game.

Thank you for the answers.

Take care,

Bill

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/17/18 09:19 PM

No worries mrbill! I thought maybe it had something to do with Kairo perhaps. Have a happy day!
Posted By: Iurii

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/20/18 02:38 PM

Thanks, lanomalie!

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/20/18 05:56 PM

I'm glad there is a legitimate source for The Five Cores now, even if the developer isn't able to offer tech support for it.

I apologize for the confusion caused by mentioning Kairo.

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/25/18 07:35 AM

Good news, fellow Boomers,

"The Five Cores" is now available on our own FREE GAMES GALORE, as well as "ROONSEHV", WITH WT.
SANDY

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/25/18 10:34 AM

If reading Dutch isn't a problem for you, or using google translate, then you can find a very detailed walkthrough for the games The Five Cores and Roonshehv Netarra on my site at www.pcgameswalkthroughs.nl I made the Five Cores walkthrough in 2014 and Dick did the Roonsehv walkthrough in 2015

I saw a question here about how to save your game in The Five Cores, but I can't find that question anymore. But you can save your game by pressing your Escape key and then click on Save. There are only 3 save slots in witch you can save your game. So if you save more then 3 times, you'll have to overwrite your previous save slot. The game runs on the Unreal Engine

I've played the Five Cores in 2014, 2015 and 2016, all 3 times with Windows 8.1 (updated)and I had no troubles with it. I've payed the price for it, so I'm wandering...can I get my money back, now the game is freeware?

Happy Gaming

Marinus_Louis

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/25/18 08:50 PM

Hi Louis,
I think it's too late to get your money back. LOL
As far as your Dutch walkthroughs, I'm fortunate to have Google Chrome which automatically translates in to English. I have been re-playing many older games with the help of YOUR wt's as well as with Mag's. Thanks for putting those out there for our fellow Boomers.
Sandy

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/26/18 08:25 PM

Hi Sandford

I was only joking about a refound for my purchase of The Five Cores, but I think you'll knew this. I got an e-mail from Dick Leeuw, the writer of the Dutch Roonsehv walkthrough that's on my site. Dick told me that he's going to do an English translation of the Roonsehv walkthrough. When it is ready you sure will find it on my site.

I'm almost ready with the new Dutch and English walkthrough for Lighthouse The Dark Being, and then I go on with the Alternative Lighthouse walkthrough. It's a real treat to be able to play some of those old Sierra games again

Happy gaming

Marinus_Louis

Re: The Five Cores? - 02/26/18 10:08 PM

"I'm almost ready with the new Dutch and English walkthrough for Lighthouse The Dark Being, and then I go on with the Alternative Lighthouse walkthrough. "
Ohhhh !! Fabulous news !! And thank you yay
© 2024 GameBoomers Community