GB HOMEPAGE

Leaves

Posted By: Winfrey

Leaves - 03/12/18 06:55 PM

Just finished Leaves... had to get out the pen and paper for this :-0... fun game really made me think at times.. I must say for one puzzle I printed out the picture... transferring a design to another sheet mirror style with my dyslexia it just wasn't happening. haha

Now for Leaves the return :-)
Posted By: mike_bn

Re: Leaves - 03/12/18 10:06 PM

So, Winfrey, how would you rate the difficulty then? Lets say compared to Myst, Riven, Rhem, Schizm etc

Re: Leaves - 03/12/18 10:12 PM

Hmmm, it is not as hard as those, you go from place to place with little brain teaser puzzles, some don't allow you to work right away but must come back after completing another area.. and you may find notes, and stuff somewhere else that apply and that you must use... have you played Machinarium.. sorta on that level
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Leaves - 03/12/18 10:50 PM

That's a good analogy, Winfrey... I loved the Leaves games, but they are deceptively tricky.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Leaves - 03/13/18 12:15 AM

I loved both of the Leaves games and agree with Winfrey’s statement. It’s not a cakewalk but it was delightfully puzzling! It does make you think.
Posted By: The Haze

Re: Leaves - 03/13/18 12:19 AM

I agree; both games were very analogous to Machinarium. (mike_bn: Did anybody actually complete Schism without help? That's an older game and I had a much younger brain, but that one beat me.)
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Leaves - 03/13/18 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: The Haze
Did anybody actually complete Schizm without help?

I'm really interested to hear that. Personally, I don't think it was possible. Good game though.

Re: Leaves - 03/14/18 05:20 PM

@Winfrey: Thanks for the feedback about the Leaves puzzles, i will play the game for sure

@The Haze/@Mikael:

Having solved every puzzle of Schizm without any hint is probably the thing i am most proud of in my whole 'gaming career'.
For me, it is the best and most difficult Myst-style game ever (Rhem-series is on second place).
It's been a long time ago, but if i remember correctly it was quite a benefit that i have a degree in mathematics (i studied it at university), because some puzzles really required to be trained in logic-analytical thinking. If mathematical-logical thinking is not your thing, i don't think its possible to solve that game without a walkthrough.

The moments in Schizm when a cutscene started and i started to realize that i just solved
a very hard puzzle evoked feelings in me unlike anything i ever experienced while gaming.
(i would include one particular Rhem puzzle in this list).

EDIT: i meant 'best ever' in terms of puzzles. My overall favorite still is RIVEN, because for me, personally,
it was pretty much perfect in every sense.
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Leaves - 03/14/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: mike_bn
Having solved every puzzle of Schizm without any hint is probably the thing i am most proud about in my whole 'gaming career'.

I don't believe you! smile Seriously, I'm impressed, but it doesn't surprise me that it takes a degree in mathematics to do it.

Re: Leaves - 03/14/18 05:31 PM

Lol, to tell the whole story, i had to look up in the walkthrough once, but not for a puzzle.
There was a point i was stuck. It turned out that after having solved a certain puzzle, one had to
go to a different place and something triggered there which could not be derived logically.
I even went to that place (i went to every place again because i was stuck), but i used
save games to get there faster and in the save game i used i had not solved the puzzle yet
so the trigger did not happen. So, i had to look in the walkthrough once, but not for a puzzle.

Oh man, why did you mention Schizm ;-)
If i was a billionare i would hire the exact crew who designed
Schizm and pay them to make another game having the same difficulty level.
Not only were the puzzles extremely difficult, they were really original and fun as well.
And the graphics and atmosphere were also terrific (DVD-version only!)

Now all we have left is Knut. I can't wait for Rhem V.
Posted By: Lion_1251

Re: Leaves - 03/14/18 06:28 PM

I think that can be a while, I believe there must be first Rhem 2 SE and Rhem 3 SE.
Rhem 1 en 4 are already the SE. You need the medallions for Rhem 5.

Re: Leaves - 03/14/18 07:02 PM

Yes, i am aware of that. Unfortunately Knut has been very busy with
finishing LISSN, hopefully he has more time now to continue working
on Rhem II SE again smile

Re: Leaves - 03/15/18 04:02 AM

Mike_bn; I too am impressed. I would never have finished Schizm without a good walkthrough. Your "Math" comment makes me feel better, since I am a Literature and Drama major. You've given me an excuse for my ineptitude. The only place we disagree is that I have long thought that URU is the best game ever made. NOW, to get back on track, has anyone heard rumblings of a Leaves 3? That wold make my day.

Re: Leaves - 03/15/18 04:04 AM

I'm with you, The Haze... I've checked several times and so far, no rumblings about a Leaves 3. That would also make my day!
Posted By: Iurii

Re: Leaves - 03/17/18 05:18 AM

Well, 'Schizm' is a special game for me as well smile
I don't remember finishing any other 'Myst-like' game without a walkthrough, and I was not able to complete any 'Rhem' at all, - but I did solved 'Schizm' on my own the first time I have played it!
Posted By: Marian

Re: Leaves - 04/02/18 02:36 AM

That is *very* impressive, Iurii! praise
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Leaves - 04/02/18 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Iurii
Well, 'Schizm' is a special game for me as well smile
I don't remember finishing any other 'Myst-like' game without a walkthrough, and I was not able to complete any 'Rhem' at all, - but I did solved 'Schizm' on my own the first time I have played it!

Congratulation, Iurii.

I've heard people say they solved Riven without a walkthrough but had problems solving the original Myst. I always thought Riven was harder. I have more trouble with games where the clues are far away from where you use them.

Re: Leaves - 04/02/18 03:46 AM

I finished MYST with almost no problems, and had a fairly easy time with Riven when it came out (With its five disks.) However, it has become clear that since MYST came out in 1993, and I played it right away, I was probably MUCH younger then, and that matters.
Posted By: Iurii

Re: Leaves - 04/06/18 08:18 AM

I would have never solved 'Riven' without a walkthrough. My congratulations to all who did!!!

And as for 'Myst', I have spent about three months doing it, and I did have to find one single hint
Click to reveal..
for the elevator in the mechanical age
before I was able to finish it smile
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Leaves - 04/07/18 08:11 PM

Wow, Leaves sounds great! happydance But back to the Machinarium comment: I loved that game initially, but soon ran into a timed/arcade sequence that I could not complete. The stress of such devices gives me chest pain. So, of course, I could not go any further in the game. I need to know if Leaves has any sort of timed/arcade puzzles in it?

Re: Leaves - 04/07/18 09:08 PM

I am trying to think back but I do not recall any timed puzzles... but some of the quests are hard.. I enjoyed both games a lot but some of the puzzles were hard..

Re: Leaves - 04/08/18 03:19 AM

I also don't remember a timed puzzle, but I seem to remember a slot machine-like game that you had to use several times to get the prize. It wasn't timed. It just required a certain number of pulls.

Re: Leaves - 04/08/18 03:37 AM

I'm also not remembering any timed puzzles in either of the Leaves games either... just very tricky puzzles!
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Leaves - 04/08/18 06:26 AM

"Tricky" sounds like my cuppa! happydance
© 2024 GameBoomers Community