GB HOMEPAGE

Myst III & Myst IV

Posted By: Lion_1251

Myst III & Myst IV - 06/29/18 01:11 PM

Just saw on the GOG website that Myst III: Exile and Myst IV: Revelation are out now on GOG.

Lion_1251 haha wave2
Posted By: Marian

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 06/29/18 01:55 PM

Thanks! Those who are interested can read about it here. wave
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 06/29/18 06:05 PM

Whoo Hoo! Thanks for the info. I will be purchasing as soon as I can afford to. The GOG and Steam Summer Sales (as well as Big Fish) have got to my credit card this month. lol
Posted By: The13thDoll

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 06/30/18 10:12 PM

I think this is part and parcel of the Myst Anniversary Kickstarter that happened a little while back.
Posted By: Adam Beals

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/01/18 04:25 AM

I have to wait for payday! But wish listing these till then.

thanks Lion!
Posted By: CountZero

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/02/18 05:59 PM

I have never played a Myst game, should I?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/02/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: CountZero

Depends on the types of games you like.
Do you like mechanical puzzles?
Do you like exploration?
Do you mind if there are few characters to interact with and you are mainly exploring on your own?

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/02/18 08:34 PM

Myst is on sale at GOG right now so if you're going to try it, now's the time.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

Do you like exploration?
Do you mind if there are few characters to interact with and you are mainly exploring on your own?

Yes
Yes
I love interacting with characters

I guess its the type of game where you are all alone mostly. I think I should still give one a try. Which one should I start with?
Posted By: Adam Beals

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 04:41 AM

Do you like exploration?

Yes
Yes

I guess its the type of game where you are all alone mostly. I think I should still give one a try. Which one should I start with?

CountZero,

The first game is MYST.

GOG sells this in two versions:

MYST Masterpiece Edition (with original graphics, now playable along with the whole series for Windows 10)

RealMYST (real-time weather, improved graphics) plus a bonus MYST Age called Ryme with new puzzles in that age.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 05:09 AM

I guess its the type of game where you are all alone mostly.

Yup.

Which one should I start with?

The first one -- Myst or RealMyst.
The advantage of playing the games in order is so you know the characters and the story.
Also it's the shortest.

Myst -- introduces Atrus, Sirrus, and Achenar
RealMyst -- same as Myst only using 1st person 3D instead of snapshot style point-and-click. Has the extra "Rime Age" on the end.
Riven -- introduces Gehn and Catherine
Myst III (developed by Presto, makers of the Journeyman Project games) --- introduces Saavedro
Myst IV (developed by Ubusoft) -- introduces Yeesha as a child, reappearance of Sirrus and Achenar
Uru -- option of 1st or 3rd person 3D, Yeesha as an adult
Myst V -- more like Uru 2 than the earlier Myst games. 1st person 3D only

You are playing the same unnamed person in Myst, Riven, Myst III, and Myst IV in the early 1800's according to the Myst series wiki
http://dni.wikia.com/wiki/The_Stranger
Uru and Myst V take place many years later in present day, at the time the games were published.
Posted By: blackbird

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 09:14 AM

Myst IV was the first game I ever played around 11 years ago on win xp and I didn't have a clue how to play a video game. I've come a long way since then and played many many games. I never thought I'd get to enjoy Myst IV again as I couldn't get my discs to play on win 7 onwards so I could only hope there would be a re-release one day. Fantastic that Cyan gained the rights to update and release the Myst games. I've downloaded Myst IV from GOG and I'm delighted to be able to re-acquaint myself with this lovely game.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 04:12 PM

I think this is the last time I donate to a Kickstarter.
People who did not donate have been able to get Myst III and IV from GOG for days now. But because I "donated" over $100 to the Kickstarter I have to wait for some email with a "link" to a questionnaire to be sent to me before I'm sent a GOG code.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 04:38 PM

I would feel the same way, Jenny.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 05:08 PM

Email from Kickstarter says:
Quote:
1. You should get an email with your individual survey link from Blackbox to the email you provided Kickstarter. Please fill it out ASAP so we can distribute your rewards when ready.

You can also find your survey by inputting the email you gave Kickstarter here: https://backers.blackbox.cool/myst-25th-anniversary-collection

I go to that blackbox link, type in my email address, and they send an automated email.
But there is no link to any "survey" in that email.
They only list the information they will want.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 08:59 PM

I didn't feel any need to contribute to this Kickstarter and I'm glad I didn't. It doesn't seem to me they really needed it. It seems like everything was already ready and waiting to go on GOG one way or the other.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
I didn't feel any need to contribute to this Kickstarter and I'm glad I didn't. It doesn't seem to me they really needed it. It seems like everything was already ready and waiting to go on GOG one way or the other.

If you wanted the games on DVD, the reproduction Myst linking book, or any of the other physical "rewards" you had to donate to the Kickstarter. I suppose the physical rewards will be available from scalpers later on for double or triple the cost of donating to the Kickstarter, but that's hardly a good way to buy them.
Posted By: blackbird

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 10:50 PM

I read that there was a Blackbox glitch but surveys were due to be sent early this week Jenny. Doesn't seem fair that you are waiting especially having donated to Kickstarter. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Adam Beals

Do you like exploration?

Yes
Yes

CountZero,

The first game is MYST.

GOG sells this in two versions:

MYST Masterpiece Edition (with original graphics, now playable along with the whole series for Windows 10)

RealMYST (real-time weather, improved graphics) plus a bonus MYST Age called Ryme with new puzzles in that age.

Thanks smile

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 11:03 PM

I guess its the type of game where you are all alone mostly.

Yup.

Which one should I start with?

The first one -- Myst or RealMyst.
The advantage of playing the games in order is so you know the characters and the story.
Also it's the shortest.

Myst -- introduces Atrus, Sirrus, and Achenar
RealMyst -- same as Myst only using 1st person 3D instead of snapshot style point-and-click. Has the extra "Rime Age" on the end.
Riven -- introduces Gehn and Catherine
Myst III (developed by Presto, makers of the Journeyman Project games) --- introduces Saavedro
Myst IV (developed by Ubusoft) -- introduces Yeesha as a child, reappearance of Sirrus and Achenar
Uru -- option of 1st or 3rd person 3D, Yeesha as an adult
Myst V -- more like Uru 2 than the earlier Myst games. 1st person 3D only

You are playing the same unnamed person in Myst, Riven, Myst III, and Myst IV in the early 1800's according to the Myst series wiki
http://dni.wikia.com/wiki/The_Stranger
Uru and Myst V take place many years later in present day, at the time the games were published.

Great info, thanks a lot...

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/03/18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: blackbird
I read that there was a Blackbox glitch but surveys were due to be sent early this week Jenny. Doesn't seem fair that you are waiting especially having donated to Kickstarter. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Apparently those "surveys" never arrive.
You have to go to https://backers.blackbox.cool/myst-25th-anniversary-collection
and type in your email.

I got that link from the Myst 25th Anniversary forum at Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1252280491/myst-25th-anniversary-collection/posts/2226229

Then you get an automated email message from Blackbox where you are supposed to click a blue box with a hidden link that's embedded in the email.

And once you've "verified" your physical address and chosen whether you want GOG vs Steam code, Mac or PC DVD, etc., you get another automated email from Blackbox which seems to indicate your GOG/Steam codes will come from "the creator" (which I suppose is Cyan) and not from Blackbox.

I've yet to receive any codes or heard back from a live person at Blackbox. They don't include a support link in their email so you are left using the Reply button on the automated emails.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/04/18 01:06 AM

That stinks, Jenny!

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/04/18 03:15 AM

If you wanted the games on DVD, the reproduction Myst linking book, or any of the other physical "rewards" you had to donate to the Kickstarter. I suppose the physical rewards will be available from scalpers later on for double or triple the cost of donating to the Kickstarter, but that's hardly a good way to buy them.

Good point Jenny about the physical rewards. I wasn't thinking about that as I've never went for the physical rewards on any Kickstarters that I've backed.

I hope you get what you're supposed to get without having too much trouble or too long of a wait.
Posted By: plumgas

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/04/18 06:09 AM

I received my backers email yesterday going to wait for the steam codes as most of the games I have on gog anyway as well on the disk.
blackbox were too slow sending out the email and gog jumped the gun a bit so backers now have to wait for the codes.
a problem with timing when you use two different companies.
Posted By: colpet

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/04/18 11:49 AM

I did my survey 2 days ago and got my GOG code yesterday, which was the day after I sent my responses in. I signed up for the linking book tier.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/04/18 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: colpet
I did my survey 2 days ago and got my GOG code yesterday, which was the day after I sent my responses in. I signed up for the linking book tier.

Is it a single code for all the games?
How does that work if you already have all the Myst games except Myst III and IV at GOG.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/04/18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: colpet

How does that work if you already have all the Myst games except Myst III and IV at GOG.

I got 1 code to redeem my games. I haven't used it, and probably won't until the weekend. I can't answer the second part of your question since I don't have any Myst games purchased there.
Posted By: LadyCav

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/04/18 09:53 PM

Jenny100,
I used my single code for all the games at GOG.
But because I already had 3 of the games in my collection, I was given 4 games.
I received an email from GOG stating that I had gotten 4 games free of charge.
Now all the MYST games are in my library, but apparently the ones I already had were not revamped or updated.
Posted By: Tally Ho

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/04/18 10:40 PM

It seemed like it was a single code for all the games, but I redeemed the code, downloaded one game; and when I try to get the others the code is "used" and I can't get to the other games. Hmpf.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/04/18 11:20 PM

Dear Me, Jenny100 and Tally Ho !! What a situation !! I hope you and Jenny100 (and anyone else caught up in the mess) get sorted !! eek eek eek

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/05/18 02:56 AM

might be an idea to setup another gog account for the updated games but you need to setup another email address.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/05/18 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: LadyCav
I used my single code for all the games at GOG.
But because I already had 3 of the games in my collection, I was given 4 games.
I received an email from GOG stating that I had gotten 4 games free of charge.
Now all the MYST games are in my library, but apparently the ones I already had were not revamped or updated.

Originally Posted By: Tally Ho
It seemed like it was a single code for all the games, but I redeemed the code, downloaded one game; and when I try to get the others the code is "used" and I can't get to the other games. Hmpf.

So LadyCav got all the games she was missing but Tally Ho only got one game?
It sounds like you have to buy all the games at once.

I still haven't received any codes.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/05/18 03:35 AM

the code was for all the games and you had to tick all the games otherwise only the ones ticked you receive from the one code.
if you already have the game on gog you don't get it again. setting up another account will enable to get all the games.
noticed on kickstarter comments that you have to email support to reinstate your code.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/05/18 09:45 PM

I set up another account as plumgas suggested, but the redemption code is still "used"
I emailed GOG support, and the reply was

Your ticket (#277640) has been updated, its entire history can be viewed below.

but there was no "below" and the code still does not work. The ticket number only refers to the email.
Also sent a note to Cyan, but no reply yet.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/05/18 10:17 PM

They still have still not sent me any code at all.
If I don't get a code from them by tomorrow I'll have to email Cyan again.
No point emailing Blackbox because you never get a human answering.

I'm going to assume neither Cyan nor Blackbox did any work on July 4 and didn't send out any codes.
So they get an extra day before I email them again.
What a nuisance.
Originally Posted By: Tally Ho
I emailed GOG support, and the reply was

Your ticket (#277640) has been updated, its entire history can be viewed below.

but there was no "below" and the code still does not work. The ticket number only refers to the email.

I'm guessing that's an automated message with inappropriate text typical of automated messages.

They use too much automated stuff that doesn't work properly or is weird scripted stuff that's prevented from displaying in email/webmail by security features.

I'd rather have spent an extra $20 and dealt directly with Cyan.
This Blackbox intermediary isn't working out.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/06/18 04:01 AM

setting up another gog account should be done prior to entering the codes not after. you will just have to wait for gog support now.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/07/18 12:08 AM

update from cyan on kick starter.................................

We are aware of an issue some Backers have run into when redeeming their Myst 25 code at GOG. It appears that if all the check boxes were not checked for all 7 games, only the games whose check boxes were ticked will be added to the Backer's account.

If this has happened to you, please link to GOG SUPPORT immediately so they can begin working their magic (resetting your individual code) and get all the games you pledged to own into your account.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/07/18 10:15 PM

Been there; Done that.

Haven't heard anything - maybe they are closed for the weekend, or maybe they don't know how to fix it. If that is the case, then Cyan should issue new codes to the people who have the problem.

It's a little worrisome that GOG says to contact Cyan, and Cyan says to contact GOG.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/07/18 10:41 PM

I have yet to receive a code at all.
Cyan keeps saying to email Blackbox if there is a problem, but Blackbox never has a live person answer anything.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/07/18 10:55 PM

With the 3 million dollars one would think they could have budgeted for a better support team.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/08/18 12:02 AM

I have yet to receive a code at all.
Cyan keeps saying to email Blackbox if there is a problem, but Blackbox never has a live person answer anything.

I got this e-mail yesterday:

Happy Friday, Everyone!

(friendly banter...) 😉

(...followed by a clever segue to the business at hand...)

If you have returned your completed survey, please have patience as you wait for your code. If you didn't receive a code yet but did return your survey, it just means your number in the queue has not yet been served. The queue, remember, is 19,000+ backers.

There are many issues being handled behind the scenes, and we are working as fast and efficiently as we can to serve many, many help requests. If you sent a request for help already and didn't get a reply yet, please have a bit more patience. You might not hear from us until next week, depending when you wrote in.

We are aware of an issue some Backers have run into when redeeming their Myst 25 code at GOG. It appears that if all the check boxes were not checked for all 7 games, only the games whose check boxes were ticked will be added to the Backer's account.

If this has happened to you, please link to GOG SUPPORT immediately so they can begin working their magic (resetting your individual code) and get all the games you pledged to own into your account.

If anyone still has not received a survey, please use the link provided in Kickstarter Update #28 to request Blackbox RESEND your survey to the email you used to back the project. Here's the link to the RESEND SURVEY FORM.

If you have any problems with the survey, contact Blackbox directly by replying to the email they sent you.

Thank you all for your support and your patience.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/08/18 01:04 AM

I'm not impressed with how Cyan is handling this.

If they had 19000+ emails with codes to send out to backers, they should have started before this week. The way they did it the people who did NOT back their Kickstarter are getting preferential treatment.

With GOG's current sale,

Myst Masterpiece ... 2.09
RealMyst ... 8.99
Riven ... 2.09
Myst III ... 14.99
Myst IV ... 14.99
Myst V ... 3.49
Uru ... 3.49

Total is $50.13 for all games. Less if you'd already bought any of them.
If you only wanted the digital versions of the games, you might as well not have donated at all, and you'd have all the games by now and not have to wait until they get around to sending codes.

Quote:

So Tally Ho isn't the only one.
Maybe those "check boxes" aren't showing up the way they expect.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/08/18 03:18 PM

Well, the check boxes were normal enough; the reason I opted to check the first one and wait to do the others later, is that I only had a short time to download before leaving the house, and it seemed logical to do just one for now, and come back for the rest of them when I had more time. GOG obviously did not plan for that kind of flexibility.

It's possible I could have checked all, and only downloaded one at the start, but I didn't think like that.

Let me digress: When I finally bought a BIG TV, I moved the 40" smart tv to the computer as a hi-res monitor. Love it! However, MYST Masterpiece (the only thing I got so far for my 100+ bucks) is so grainy that it's not really usable. I still have some confidence that the later games in the series will look fine, just hope that includes Riven too.
Posted By: rmelone

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/08/18 08:23 PM

Jenny100 I hope you've received your link with the code to redeem the game(s) by now.

I received mine from backers@cyan.com on 7/3/18 and just used it today - 7/8/18. I selected the six
games available (I had already purchased Myst V from GOG in May) and then proceeded to install all the games.

I haven't tried any yet so I don't know if there are any problems with them - will do so in the next few days.

I did get some good information from the forum on kickstarter for Myst 25th Anniversary Collection. In case
you need the link it's here.

I did see where quite a few people were having similar problems that you've been experiencing.

Hope you are able to get the games downloaded.

Robert

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/08/18 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: rmelone
Jenny100 I hope you've received your link with the code to redeem the game(s) by now.

Nope. Nothing.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/08/18 08:50 PM

Just a quick note.

I did start Real Myst and the graphics are very good (at least on my 24" monitor) and I like that you
have the option as to how to move about - the standard Myst point and click or using the mouse combined
with WASD keys to move about.

This game brings back memories as it was the very first adventure game I bought.

Jenny100 - I don't know if the forum I mentioned would help but there are quite a few people posting
with information. And when I posted my question I received a very quick reply.

Good luck.

Robert

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/08/18 09:06 PM

I don't know if the forum I mentioned would help but there are quite a few people posting with information.

Most information in that thread is for people who've already received codes.
All they have is excuses for people who haven't received their codes.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/08/18 10:45 PM

I don't know if the forum I mentioned would help but there are quite a few people posting with information.

Most information in that thread is for people who've already received codes.
All they have is excuses for people who haven't received their codes.

I guess you're right about the forum. Sorry, I thought it was worth a try.

You're probably already aware of this but just in case, I thought I'd mention where I received my
game code from, which was backers@cyan.com.

Most of the other blackbox mail I received was from mail@blackbox.com

Robert

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/09/18 01:35 PM

Email from GOG this morning told me they have re-instated the code, and that all the (remaining six) would be available for download.

Sure enough, it's true. I have successfully downloaded one of them, and will soon get the others. Thanks, GOG.

Now I hope they rewrite the code so that it is more intuitive; checking one of multiple boxes should not discard the unchecked ones.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/09/18 05:39 PM

Looks like some people are getting warnings about trojans in Myst IV when using antivirus.
Norton detects Heur.AdvML.B
Windows Defender detects Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.A

Reported at GOG
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/myst_ivrevelation_trojanwin32zpevdoa
https://www.gog.com/forum/myst_series/unable_to_run_myst_iv_revelations

and the forum rmelone linked to at
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1252280491/myst-25th-anniversary-collection/comments

And I still have not received GOG codes.
Which bodes ill for any physical "rewards" I'm supposed to receive from this Kickstarter in the future.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/09/18 05:46 PM

Sorry to read you are having such a problem Jenny... hope they will straighten this all out for you and soon!! mad eek

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/09/18 08:46 PM

Sounds like a real mess! Jenny, didn't you have a similar problem with some other Kickstarter a few years back?

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/09/18 08:50 PM

Jenny, didn't you have a similar problem with some other Kickstarter a few years back?

If you're talking about not receiving any physical rewards for Dreamfall Chapters, I still have yet to receive anything from them.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/09/18 09:03 PM

Wow! Are you still trying to get the Dreamfall stuff or is that a lost cause now?

I hope that doesn't happen with Myst also.

"I think this is the last time I donate to a Kickstarter" This here sounds like a plan!

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/09/18 09:44 PM

I've given up on ever seeing anything from the Dreamfall Chapters kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey
Originally Posted By: DreamfallChaptersKickstarter
Estimated delivery November 2014

Even for those who received something, they say the "Collector's Edition" boxed DVD was a disappointment -- just a sleeve over a DVD case and nothing like the "Collector's Edition" versions of games people used to be able to buy years ago.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/comments

Other people spent even more than I did on the Dreamfall Chapters Kickstarter and have also received nothing.

At the current time I wouldn't compare Cyan (so far late by a week with game codes) with Dreamfall Chapters (late by years).

However this is the first time GOG has had the games for sale before I received the game codes.
In the past I received the codes first and could pre-order at GOG even before the game was available.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/09/18 09:54 PM

Jenny

I received an email from Cyan customer support about the fact that I didn't receive a code for
Myst V which I had purchased from GOG back in May and they sent a code for a free Myst V to give
to a friend.

Being I received the message I asked about your problem and, I know this is going to sound very
familiar but there is one thing - I think - a little different in that they say look for your codes
this week.

Hi Robert,

Codes are still being distributed. It takes a bit of time to get 19,000+ codes emailed. Please ask your friend to have a bit more patience (we understand it's not easy to wait, trust us, we do), and to look for his email with the Myst 25 games code this week.

Best,
Lloyd Woodall
Cyan Worlds Customer Support

I was hoping for a more direct contact that people that hadn't received codes yet that they could use but this is what I got.

Robert

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/09/18 10:09 PM

Lot of people still waiting hopefully for Dreamfall Chapters going by that link.

Way too soon for comparison; just sounds disappointing and frustrating not to be getting your codes yet though. frown

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/09/18 10:23 PM

Thank you for trying to help, rmelone.
Cyan support doesn't seem to have control of when the codes are sent out and are depending on some other company, possibly Blackbox, to send out the codes.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/11/18 07:43 PM

I'm so sorry you are still experiencing this mess, Jenny100. I hope it will be resolved for you very soon !! slapforehead

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/12/18 12:20 AM

Still no GOG codes. I suspect what will have to happen is that I'll have to wait until Cyan thinks they've sent out all the codes and then alert them to the fact that they haven't.

I think that if you had to "prod" blackbox to send you an email about their "survey" by going to
https://backers.blackbox.cool/myst-25th-anniversary-collection
before receiving the survey email from them, that you will never receive the GOG codes without special help from Cyan -- and that Cyan won't help until they think all codes are already sent out.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

But in other news, 3 years and 8 months late, I finally received the "Collector's" DVD of Dreamfall Chapters today. However it wasn't what was described during the Kickstarter.

Originally it was described like this on ***the Kickstarter page***:
Quote:
BOXED COLLECTOR'S EDITION • Get a boxed DVD copy for your collection! • Includes a beautifully designed COLLECTOR'S EDITION BOX and printed instruction manual!

And then from ***this update webpage***
Quote:
The Collector's Edition ($110) comes in a beautiful slipcase containing a DVD keep case with an instruction manual. The slipcase and keep case feature a unique and beautiful cover designed by art director Christer Sveen.

What I received was not a box, or even a sleeve over a DVD case.
It is a plastic DVD holder glued to folded over cardboard, about half the thickness of a normal DVD case, or 1/4 the thickness of one of the small game boxes they started using in the early 2000's. It looks like the one on the following Kickstarter webpage
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/2063474
though maybe smaller than you'd expect -- the height and width of a DVD case or small game box, but much thinner.

There is no printed instruction manual included.

This is what you get for donating "$110 or more" to Dreamfall Chapters. I'm lucky it wasn't bent or accordionized the way most cardboard things arrive when they are shipped in a thin, flattened bubble envelope like this one was. I'm also lucky I didn't donate any more than I did.

But after all this time, I'm surprised to receive anything at all from them.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/12/18 01:22 AM

I can't believe that the Dreamfall Chapters DVD finally arrived, Jenny. It's hard to fathom what could have happened that it would take that long.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/12/18 02:27 AM

Jenny, I'd be issuing a complaint big time! That is an absolute ripoff!

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/12/18 03:14 AM

thumbsdown

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/12/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Jenny, I'd be issuing a complaint big time! That is an absolute ripoff!

Fraudulent practice to my mind shocked

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/12/18 03:39 AM

Yes, that really is fraud. I'd be furious.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/12/18 08:21 AM

It's the same as other backers of the project are getting.
Check backer comments on the comments page for Dreamfall Chronicles
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/comments

and this page where people mention how the manual is missing and the packaging is unimpressive for a so-called "Collector's" edition.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/2132785

I think Red Thread may have run out of money to produce them properly and cheaped out, which means people who backed at higher levels for other physical rewards will probably have even more disappointments coming.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/13/18 06:13 PM

None of that makes what has happened to you right, though, Jenny100 !!!! rolleyes
Posted By: Chief

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/18/18 05:33 PM

Did some of you waiting for the STEAM code received an e-mail for the survey and a link to it and did complete it?

Or maybe it is not necessary to complete the survey? duh

Chief wave

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/18/18 06:12 PM

The survey asks if you want GOG or Steam, so yes you have to complete the survey.

If you never got an email about the survey, go to
and prod their automated service to send you one.

I have yet to receive my GOG codes, despite receiving a receipt after completing their survey on July 3.

I'm curious if anyone who had to go to
https://backers.blackbox.cool/myst-25th-anniversary-collection to prompt blackbox to send a survey has received any GOG codes.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/18/18 08:38 PM

Thanks for the response, Jenny.

I sent Blackbox an e-mail since again the link they send has no survey link.

I'll wait for their response or maybe they know that I want my games from Steam…

Chief wave

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/18/18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Chief
I sent Blackbox an e-mail since again the link they send has no survey link.

Just so you know,
the link to the survey in the email from blackbox is hidden under a blue box that says "ENTER ADDRESS".
If you get a message from blackbox after visiting
but you don't see a link, be assured that it's probably hidden.

Instead of an obvious link, there will be a blue box in the email saying
"ENTER ADDRESS" and looking like you're supposed to enter information. Clicking the box is supposed to take you to a link out on the Internet where the actual survey is. Sometimes an ISP's webmail anti-malware will block this link from functioning, as it did mine. Why they would expect anyone would automatically click what appears to be an image in an email is beyond me.

Blackbox never answered any of my requests for assistance.

However when I emailed Cyan, they told me I was supposed to click the blue
"ENTER ADDRESS" box. Clicking the blue "ENTER ADDRESS" box in the email didn't do anything. However while attempting to forward the blackbox email to Cyan to ask where the link was, I noticed the blue box had slightly different dimensions in the forwarding window, and when I clicked it there, it immediately took me out of my webmail (where I was logged in) to the blackbox page. If I'd realized the blue box had a link attached, I would have used right-click and open in new tab. All I knew was that something wasn't functioning as intended. Why couldn't they just put a URL link where people could recognize it and see it instead of sending what appeared to be a useless email advertising a survey "somewhere" that had no obvious weblink.

Today Cyan sent an email complaining about how some people weren't answering the survey and said the survey would be closed on July 31.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/18/18 11:07 PM

That does sound ridiculous Jenny100!

Good luck Chief!
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/19/18 03:50 AM

Wow, sorry to hear about all the issues you're having Jenny.

I'm wondering if Cyan and Black Box didn't anticipate the kind of response that was received through the kickstarter and now they're having issues trying to manage the huge volume. Hope they get their act together. Makes me a little nervous about the other item fulfillment that will be coming up (linking book and pen holder). smirk

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/20/18 12:08 AM

For those who want Steam codes, there is an update here
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1252280491/myst-25th-anniversary-collection/comments

Originally Posted By: Cyan Worlds Inc
@Naz - Check out Kickstarter Update #29 - Steam keys will issue about a month or two after GOG codes started (those started in early July).

So we're looking at sometime in August, maybe (probably late August, not early) but remember - that (like all the Estimated Delivery Dates) is Subject To Change.

Meanwhile they still haven't sent me any GOG codes.
I wonder if people will be sent their Steam codes before I'm sent GOG codes.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/20/18 02:09 AM

I didn't have problems with the survey email .....

once you click on the enter address the link page opens up

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/20/18 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: plumgas
once you click on the enter address the link page opens up

It didn't.
It was completely dead.
I don't know why it works differently for different web browsers, but obviously it does.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/20/18 02:27 AM

I was using chrome

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/20/18 06:40 PM

If this can be of help: I sent a response to Blackbox after their e-mail about the Survey in which I did not see the link to it.

Quote:
Sorry for the misleading copy! That definitely is confusing.

There's no need for you to fill out the backer survey since you're receiving all digital rewards.The cool folks over at Cyan will be sending out the download codes for Myst themselves. Blackbox is only responsible for collecting data and shipping out the physical backer rewards. I hope that clears things up!

Quote:
Cyan has already begun to send out the GOG codes, Steam will soon follow. If you need anything else, please feel free to let me know. I'm always happy to help.

One less problem to take care off. grin

Chief wave

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/21/18 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Chief
If this can be of help: I sent a response to Blackbox after their e-mail about the Survey in which I did not see the link to it.
Quote:
Sorry for the misleading copy! That definitely is confusing.

There's no need for you to fill out the backer survey since you're receiving all digital rewards.The cool folks over at Cyan will be sending out the download codes for Myst themselves. Blackbox is only responsible for collecting data and shipping out the physical backer rewards. I hope that clears things up!

That contradicts what Cyan has been saying.
Here is their July 17 email (bolding is Cyan's)
Quote:
Survey Lockdown July 31st

For backers only

Posted by Cyan Worlds, Inc. (Creator)

Hello Backers,

Survey alert! Many of you have already filled out the survey. Thank you! Feel free to stop reading this email.

For the 18% of you who haven’t yet filled out the survey — hey, what's going on?

Seriously though, we need you to fill out the survey, so we can get codes sent and start manufacturing!

Soooo... IMPORTANT! We are locking down the surveys at the end of the day (midnight PDT) on July 31st. If you have not completed your survey by then and you pledged to receive a physical reward you will receive the Windows version on the disc.
FAQs...

BUT WHAT IF I MOVE BEFORE YOU SHIP THE PRODUCT?

Your address will not be locked down. There will be of plenty of time to change your address before we ship the physical products.

I ONLY SELECTED DIGITAL DOWNLOADS OF THE GAMES, WHY DO I NEED IT FILL IT OUT?

If you don’t fill it out, you may not get ANY codes to download the games.

WHAT IF I DON’T FILL OUT THE SURVEY?

You may not get anything! Please fill out the survey!

WHERE DO I FIND THE SURVEY?

Go to this link and enter the email that you used on the Myst 25th Kickstarter.

If you are not able to fill out the survey or you have any issues with it, please send an email directly to mail@blackbox.cool .

If you see other problems (wrong country, wrong tier, etc.) please email us directly at support@cyan.com .

Thanks

So it sounds like either
1. one hand doesn't know what the other is doing or
2. blackbox is engaging in "tell 'em what they want to hear."

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/21/18 06:48 PM

Let's see now if I receive another e-mail about the survey.

Chief wave
Posted By: Sassy

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 07/31/18 10:14 PM

I had no problem filling out the survey today from the "enter address" box in the email I got.
The only problem now I can think of now, is I don't have a GOG account yet. Guess I'll have to

Tho I really don't care if I get the digital's or not. Just really looking forward to the physical
copies, the linking book, and the ink well. happydance

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 09/11/18 09:22 PM

I received my Steam codes for all the games of the Myst 25th Anniversary.

I also received an e-mail about a problem with Myst 4 but I deleted that e-mail. duh

Maybe someone received it also and can tell me what it is about.

Thanks for any help.

Chief wave

EDIT: forgot to say I'm having a resolution problem……...

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 09/11/18 10:06 PM

Chief,

I think this is what you're looking for:

Quote:
MYST IV not launching?

We are currently investigating a crash that many Myst 25 Kickstarter Backers have found when launching Myst IV.

If you’re experiencing this issue or others, please reach out to us by emailing support@cyan.com. Include detailed information, and attach a dxdiag report of the computer you are playing on.

We’ll have an update about this issue once we’ve found the cause of the problem that backers are reporting. This will take some time. Please have patience.

Robert

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 09/11/18 10:51 PM

Thanks Robert.

I appreciate your help. thumbsup

You bet that I will contact them.

Chief wave
Posted By: gamenut

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 09/26/18 10:43 PM

Anyone know if they will all play on older win 7 home premium-64bit?

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 09/26/18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: gamenut

There are newly available GOG downloads that support Windows 7. If you had a problem that they couldn't solve, they would refund your money.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 09/26/18 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: gamenut

Myst IV is supposed to work on Windows 7, 8, and 10.
https://www.gog.com/game/myst_4

Myst V is supposed to work on XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
https://www.gog.com/game/myst_5_end_of_ages

Myst III is listed as working on Windows 7, 8, and 10.
https://www.gog.com/game/myst_3_exile
though if it's using ScummVM I'd expect it to work on every version of Windows from 95 through 10, and if it's using ResidualVM I'd expect it to work on every Windows version from 2000 through 10.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 09/26/18 11:03 PM

Jenny - did your situation with this ever get resolved?

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 09/27/18 12:56 AM

Jenny - did your situation with this ever get resolved?

After Cyan claimed to have sent out all the GOG codes, I emailed Cyan and this time instead of telling me to wait because they had thousands of codes to send out, they claimed the code had been sent out two days after I'd sent in the "blackbox survey." Cyan ended up sending me a code directly by email. I never received anything from blackbox.

I fully expect to have the same problem when it comes time to get the physical games, only it will be worse if they're all out of them.

Re: Myst III & Myst IV - 09/27/18 01:25 AM

Thanks for the response Jenny. I sure hope you get your physical games (and without any further problems)!!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community