GB HOMEPAGE

The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available!

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 12:41 AM

The game is now available!

Check out the launch trailer here.

The 13th Doll is a game created by and for fans of The 7th Guest series! It began as an all volunteer, freeware passion project, but evolved into a fully licensed game.

In the 7th Guest, evil toymaker Henry Stauf built a mansion, and invited 6 guests. A 7th Guest, Tad, snuck in and was trapped there, afflicted by mystifying spirits, dolls and the ghosts of the other guests - until he defeated Stauf.

The 13th Doll ties in with the events of The 7th Guest. A decade after Tad managed to escape the mansion, he is still haunted by the souls, dolls, and Stauf's victims he left behind. So haunted, in fact, that the young man now resides in a mental institution - misunderstood, plagued by guilt and obsessed with one idea: to escape the dreary padded walls of his asylum cell, return to the mansion - the site of his innermost fears - to rescue those he left behind and defeat Stauf once and for all!

Soon, a new doctor by the name of Richmond arrives in the asylum. NaΓ―ve to the legacy of Henry Stauf, and equally bewildered and intrigued by the fantastic legend, the staunch rationalist plans to take Tad on a cathartic trip back to the mansion.

This unconventional therapy attempt rapidly turns into a fateful journey, unravelling Tad and Richmond's contrasting worldviews and leading the unlikely duo straight into a horrifying vortex of lies, illusions, lunacy and death. And soon a blood-curdling question arises: Have the two visitors really made their way to Stauf's harrowing home on their own accord or are they mere pawns in a much grander, inescapable scheme?

While playing The 13th Doll, a lot of time will be spent navigating through gloomy sites, concealed rooms and maze areas from an immersive first person perspective. Thanks to the game being developed in Unity3d, this becomes an advanced and engaging experience, as the engine allows free movement and a fully accessible environment in detailed high-definition visuals. For the first time, players will be able to explore every inch of Stauf's residence and face all its eerie inhabitants up close and personal. A plethora of interactive, delightfully animated objects will bring even the most desolate locations to life.

Logic puzzles were an integral part of The 7th Guest's gameplay, and The 13th Doll follows suit. We've designed 26 original brain-teasers, all varying in style and offering a wide array of intellectual challenges. These diabolical creations are found throughout the game - whether it be card tricks, pathfinding and chess challenges, or even artificial intelligence puzzles versus Henry Stauf himself!.

Happy Gaming!
Posted By: revco

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 02:31 AM

I'm playing...yeah!

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 03:08 AM

So happy for you revco! I need a new computer. frown Sad. Mine is a Win 7 and it crashes as soon as it starts. I have been blessed that it has so far played every game I've thrown at it so far!
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 03:58 AM

Thanks Ana! Get going with the new computer. January is approaching quickly!
Posted By: connie

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 12:36 PM

Thanks Ana, I hope my Win 7 will play it.
Posted By: The13thDoll

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 12:56 PM

Hello Boomers!

Yes, we finally released the game and we couldn't have done it if not for dedicated fans and communities like yours. We've appreciated all of the attention and encouragement we've received from the forums and the site over the years. You were following us before we even had the Kickstarter!

Thank you so much for your support and enjoy the game!

-Chris
and the Attic Door Productions team

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 12:57 PM

Note: We know about some issues with Windows 7. Even though it isn't officially a supported OS, we're doing all we can to identify the cause and get things working!
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 01:38 PM

Windows 7 is listed as a minimum computer spec at both GOG and Steam, so it should play, Ana. There isn't even a video card requirement listed.

Oops! I see the game developer has posted about the issue just before I posted this! Hopefully, they can get it worked out.

If your computer has good enough hardware, you might be able to just upgrade it to Windows 10.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 01:40 PM

Ana, same problem here. Congrats on the release Chris.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 02:02 PM

Our minimum requirements are generally as follows:
OS must be supported by the manufacturer
Graphics Card must be supported by the manufacturer

It is hard to support hardware and/or software that is over a decade old and guarantee the game will work well. That being said, we know there are a lot of Windows 7 users out there and while support for that OS ends in January, we are doing all we can to kill whatever is causing the bug.

Here are some things that we've found help, but might not fully resolve the issue:
Update all drivers and install all Windows patches
Install https://www.webmproject.org/ie/
Install https://xiph.org/dshow/
Complete any reboots necessary

If you still have problems, please email contact@the13thdoll.com with the following details:
Operating System
Graphics Card Model
Any other PC Details
Also if you can get the log files from C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\LocalLow\Attic Door Productions\The13thDoll it would greatly help us!

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Draclvr
Windows 7 is listed as a minimum computer spec at both GOG and Steam, so it should play, Ana. There isn't even a video card requirement listed.

Oops! I see the game developer has posted about the issue just before I posted this! Hopefully, they can get it worked out.

If your computer has good enough hardware, you might be able to just upgrade it to Windows 10.

Drac, where are seeing you Win7 on Steam? When it wouldn't play I checked and it said Win8 last night. This computer has played all the games flawlessly till this one! It never ceases to amaze me! I have a Win10 also but it's a low end I just use for internet and mail. It has an integrated graphics card and can't handle anything. lol

Originally Posted by The13thDoll
Note: We know about some issues with Windows 7. Even though it isn't officially a supported OS, we're doing all we can to identify the cause and get things working!

Thank you! It looks great in the intro and plays but then crashes. It would be awesome if I didn't need to start looking for a new computer just yet!
Posted By: Marian

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 02:04 PM

I am seeing that it mentions Windows 7 on GOG but not on Steam.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 02:17 PM

Yes, not sure why it didn't update on GOG. Will take a look at that.

Integrated graphics cards can be tricky on any OS, even supported ones. If the card has dedicated memory, like the one in my laptop, great, if it is shared memory, you will need to increase that shared memory value.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 02:22 PM

I could have sworn it said Windows 7 on Steam too! Obviously I misread it!
Posted By: Mad

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 02:58 PM

I haven't installed the game yet but I, too, am running Win7.

So really hoping it will work when I DO install it.

Every other game I've installed on the machine so far has worked without any problems ....

πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Draclvr
I could have sworn it said Windows 7 on Steam too! Obviously I misread it!

It DID say Windows 7 on the Steam page.
Here's an archived link of the Steam webpage for the game from October 18, 2019 where it lists Windows 7 in the requirements.
https://web.archive.org/web/2019101...e_13th_Doll_A_Fan_Game_of_The_7th_Guest/

Obviously Steam updated their page when they realized there were problems.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 05:11 PM

We've identified at least one of the contributing factors to the black screen/game crash issues. It has to be fixed in quite a few areas in the code. We're working on it!

That being said, this is also caused sometimes when the appropriate Webm codecs aren't installed, as mentioned in the links earlier.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 05:28 PM

We've identified at least one of the contributing factors to the black screen/game crash issues. It has to be fixed in quite a few areas in the code. We're working on it!

That being said, this is also caused sometimes when the appropriate Webm codecs aren't installed, as mentioned in the links earlier.

Glad to hear you're making progress.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 06:20 PM

There's already somebody here in the hints and help forum looking for puzzle help.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by oldbroad
There's already somebody here in the hints and help forum looking for puzzle help.

That means we did it right!

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 07:32 PM

Then maybe I WASN'T just seeing things! I sure thought I saw Windows 7 on both Steam and GOG.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 10/31/19 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by oldbroad

That means we did it right!

lol I guess so!

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 01:07 AM

A big Thank You,The13thDoll, for endeavouring to fix the game for Win7 players !! bravo

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 12:04 PM

Hello, we released a fix for the Windows 7 bugs last night. Please update the game and try again. Please ensure that you have the WebM codec installed as well, as this will cause additional issues.

Install https://www.webmproject.org/ie/
Install https://xiph.org/dshow/
Complete any reboots necessary

Thanks,
Chris
and the Attic Door Productions team

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 01:48 PM

Thanks, Chris! smile

For those who were having issues, please try this update (along with the WebM codec installed) and report back. wave

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 02:39 PM

It works now!!! THank you so much for your effort! Can't wait to play this weekend!

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 02:58 PM

That is great news, Ana! happydance

Thanks again, Chris. smile

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 03:06 PM

Thanks Chris, so far so good. happydance

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 04:53 PM

This is wonderful news!

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 06:17 PM

Glad everything is going well! We still have one person on Steam reporting the problem after the fix. Not sure what's going on with that one...

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 09:40 PM

Hi The 13th Doll.

I just download the game files from GOG so I can burn them to disk - without using Galaxy - and patches are normally shown as a separate item to download.

Will this be the case with your game ?? Because at present a patch isn't being shown.

Thanks.

Mad smile

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 09:50 PM

I'm not 100% sure on how the build uploads work. I will circle back on the Devs with that.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/01/19 11:29 PM

Many thanks thumbsup

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/02/19 02:12 PM

How are people liking the game so far?

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/02/19 06:18 PM

Loving the game. happydance
Posted By: McGeorge

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/02/19 08:30 PM

Soup's on!

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/05/19 07:23 AM

I'm not 100% sure on how the build uploads work. I will circle back on the Devs with that.

Any news for us yet, The13thDoll ?? smile

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/09/19 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mad

Any news for us yet, The13thDoll ?? smile

I apologize for the delay. It takes some time for GOG to put the patches into a separate build. You should see them now.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/09/19 02:04 PM

Thanks, The13thDoll.

Can I presume, then, that both the Galaxy download and the Game Files Only download are now patched ready for downloading ??

[There is still no actual separate patch showing.]

Mad smile

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/11/19 12:56 PM

We saw someone else say that the stand-alone files were there... Hmmm... Will need to investigate.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/11/19 04:29 PM

Thank you for responding smile

I went to look at GOG again today but there are no "extra" files showing - so I have emailed GOG Customer Services to see what they say.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/12/19 09:30 PM

Mad, I'm currently downloading from GOG and there is a 10-part download for the installation files as well as two patches. I've emailed you a screenshot showing the downloads listed at GOG on my account.
The latest version seems to be 1.1.0

EDIT -- it looks like parts 1-5 of the download are for 32-bit Windows and
parts 6-10 are for 64-bit Windows, so you don't have to download all ten
parts, despite how GOG is listing them.

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/13/19 04:02 PM

Thank you very much for your email, Jenny100 smile

After reading it, I re-visited my GOG account and found an arrow had appeared next to the game files. And when I clicked on that I found the files you describe.

[Never seen an arrow there before and I have downloaded games in the past that had MANY files !!]

Anyway, happily sorted now hamster

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/13/19 04:06 PM

We saw someone else say that the stand-alone files were there... Hmmm... Will need to investigate.

Hi again The13thDoll.

I have now found the files on GOG, thank you.
They were "hidden" by an arrow - one which has never appeared on my GOG account before - so I am able to proceed with a download yay

Thank you for your time and patience smile

Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan of the 7th Guest Now Available! - 11/14/19 12:46 AM

Glad to hear it is all working OK!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community