GB HOMEPAGE

Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/03/20 01:32 PM

Here is an interesting read on the current affairs of Frogwares.

Looking forward to seeing anything new that Frogwares delivers.

Happy Gaming!
Posted By: Marian

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/03/20 01:37 PM

Very interesting news, and understandable considering what happened with Focus.

Thanks, Ana. wave
Posted By: Mad

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/03/20 03:07 PM

Thanks for that, BrownEyedTigre smile

Does it mean Frogware games will once again become available directly from them - and therefore not require a Steam account ??

Or is that just my wishful thinking ??

Cheers.

Mad laugh
Posted By: connie

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/03/20 03:26 PM

Thanks Ana.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/03/20 03:29 PM

I agree, Ana. Thanks for the update.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/03/20 06:18 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/03/20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mad
Thanks for that, BrownEyedTigre smile

Does it mean Frogware games will once again become available directly from them - and therefore not require a Steam account ??

Or is that just my wishful thinking ??

Cheers.

Mad laugh

I think that's something we will know more of when they release something. They did like some sort of protection on their games so I am assuming it would still not be DRM free.
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/04/20 11:32 AM

Publishers are trouble. The creators of Star Wars: The Old Republic made a mistake with the contract with their publisher and lost creative control. The game we have now is not the game they had planned. They intended that expansions would add new chapters for each of the 8 classes. And since it standard procedure in online games, probably to even add new classes. Having every mission be the same for every class after chapter 3 was not the plan. The publisher didn't want to spend the money adding 8 (or 10) new chapters. Closest they came was adding saboteur option so 2 versions of some missions (quests). There are two new none player characters with unqiues skill sets, that in any online multiplayer game would be teasers for 2 new player classes. But given they've cut the developing team to the bone thats not likely to happen.

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/04/20 01:40 PM

"I think that's something we will know more of when they release something. They did like some sort of protection on their games so I am assuming it would still not be DRM free."

Thanks, BrownEyedTigre smile

I don't expect future games to be released DRM Free but "Steam Free" would be a bonus for me yes
Posted By: frazap

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/06/20 08:41 AM

Mad, most Frogwares games are already available DRM-free on GOG.com. Almost all Sherlock Games, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Dracula Origin. The only ones missing are The Mystery of the Mummy (which stinks anyway), 80 Days (which I think is hard to get working on W10) and their latest, The Sinking City. Although I've mostly heard bad things about it, hopefully The Sinking City will be on GOG too if they begin publishing themselves.

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/06/20 10:28 AM

Hi frazap smile

Yes. I do HAVE all the ones I want SO far .... I'm really talking about future releases. But if they become available via GOG that will just be great yes

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: frazap

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/06/20 01:42 PM

Oh, I see. What I most of all wish for Frogwares to do is getting back to do the things they do best, that is creating pure adventure games. The Devil's Daughter was plagued with badly designed action sequences and from what I've read they have taken yet another step in that direction with The Sinking City. Haven't bought that yet though so can't confirm.

But like you I definitely wish for future (good) Frogwares games to be released on GOG. The Sinking City was actually listed in the "coming soon" section of GOG for a while but I can't find it there anymore. Hope it shows up eventually. I do buy things on Steam sometimes, but only if there is no hope for a GOG or other DRM-free release.

Cheers back! smile

Re: Frogwares Turns to Self Publishing - 04/06/20 02:49 PM

I haven't yet played The Devil's Daughter but have read about the action sequences thumbsdown

My favourite "adventure" Sherlock from them is still The Awakened - and just talking about it makes me want to play it again lol

And their Hound of the Baskerville is, in my opinion, one of the best casual games ever released yes

I haven't felt any compulsion at all to buy The Sinking City after having read comments from players who were sorely disappointed by it whistle
© 2024 GameBoomers Community