GB HOMEPAGE

Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 08/31/20 01:27 PM

I'm a little late to announcing, but those waiting for Schizm 3, the good news is, it is still in production, but the game is now called Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III. No official release date yet.

You can wishlist it here on Steam.

Here is the official website.

Characters of the game are two tourists (Amia, Bogard) that goes on attractive planet. Seduced by promotional offer, hoping for enjoyable and relaxing rest. However beautiful and idyllic atmosphere are disturbed. In their journey they meet other tourists and unexplained, dangerous phenomena. There are rumors about machine called „Fist of Nemezis”, that is capable of bringing a peace to the planet. Save yourself and your companion by overcomming the threat that is destroying this planet.

NEMEZIS MYSTERIOUS JOURNEY III takes place on Regilus planet. Founded anomaly which put this world in two parallel dimensions.
Each location has its own image in both dimensions. Places look alike, may vary, sometimes just in details. Some elements of locations exists in one and other dimension. Residents, with growing threat, started to build diffrent kinds of barriers that prevent from moving on the planet.
Gameplay is a mix of adventure and puzzles in beautiful scenes with dark elements. Playing characters alternately, can you solve all puzzles? By overcoming obstacles created by residents uncover more and more secrets of this world. As a tourist, we have been equipped with an electronic guide, whose help may turn out to be crucial in difficult situations.

Happy Gaming!
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 08/31/20 01:58 PM

Thanks, Ana.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 08/31/20 06:49 PM

Thanks Ana!
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 09/01/20 03:42 AM

Looking forward to this.
Thanks for the info Ana
Posted By: connie

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 09/01/20 12:23 PM

Thanks Ana.
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 09/09/20 12:28 AM

Actually, it probably wouldn't be a true game in the series if it didn't have multiple names during its life.

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 09/09/20 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by flotsam
Actually, it probably wouldn't be a true game in the series if it didn't have multiple names during its life.

lol Right??
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 09/09/20 06:17 AM

rotfl
Posted By: Simon

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/20/20 09:42 AM

Thanks Ana! Oh I had missed this info, it was posted in August! lol

There is no mention anymore of Schizm on the official page, only Nemezis. Do you know why? Did the creators write something about it?
Could it be that the project was started without owning the rights?
Or they considered that the Schizm series is not popular anymore today and so it was better to change the name?

Why keep number III if it's not officially Schizm III? Strange! The fans of the series might ignore this game while the newcomers will don't understand what is this 3rd episode. Honestly if I didn't see this news here, and if someone told me about Nemezis III? I wouldn't have been as excited as talking of Schizm III.
I have the feeling that since the beginning it was only to attract people that they called it Schizm.

I'm curious as a game developer about this decision, so I'd be happy to read your thoughts about it. For example if I decided to release a 5th episode of my Black Cube series, and didn't call it officially Black Cube but for example Terra Chronicles 5 instead, then I find that it would be difficult to explain this decision...
What are your thoughts?

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/20/20 12:07 PM

Hi Simon, the developer is notorious for renaming their projects! This title falls in line with the previous. The first game was Schizm: Mysterious Journey, the second was Mysterious Journey II: Chameleon and now this one is Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III. It is definitely the 3rd in the series. You will find other titles depending on your region or when it was purchased. Many people bought duplicates because they didn't know the name changed. lol

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/20/20 02:27 PM

Thanks Ana for the clarification! <3
I have always heard in France that Mysterious Journey II: Chameleon was Schizm II : Chameleon, that's why I was surprised. I didn't know that there was another title!
https://www.planete-aventure.net/jeux/schizm2-pc.jpg
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/20/20 03:00 PM

That was the North American publisher (Dreamcatcher/The Adventure Company) that changed the names of games from their original names. They did this with many games from different developers that they published, not just Detalion (the developer of the Schizm games).

I always found this to be insulting and dumb. I even went out of my way to purchase import versions and avoid the Dreamcatcher versions so I'd have the original name of the game on the game box.

The most confusing renaming was probably the Atlantis series
Atlantis 2 was renamed to Beyond Atlantis.
Atlantis 3 was renamed to Beyond Atlantis 2.

Pompeii was renamed to Timescape.
Aztec was renamed to Sacred Amulet.
Loch Ness was renamed to Cameron Files.
Martin Mystere was renamed to Crime Stories.
etc.

There wasn't a single instance where the original name of the game was not better.
The renamed names were vague and meant very little, while the original game names at least told you where the game took place.

I don't know why they'd do this unless they were hoping to sell the same game to people who'd bought the original version and didn't realize they were buying a 2nd copy of a game they already had.

Schizm was a great name. It was short, and it didn't resemble any other words.
Try doing an Internet search for "Mysterious Journey" and even if the search engine respects your quote marks (which they rarely do anymore), you'll get all sorts of unrelated results that are nothing to do with the game.

Do a search for Schizm and there's a lot less unrelated stuff.

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/20/20 03:45 PM

Thank you Jenny for all these interesting details! I had no idea that so many games were concerned.
Indeed it's difficult to find any logic in changing all these titles!! And you are right, "Mysterious Journey" is hard to find on search engines, while Schizm makes it immediately very specific.
This is probably pure marketing strategy, but hard to understand...
It's like, in another genre, Final Fantasy VI (in Japan) that was renamed Final Fantasy III in US.
It would seem that there was a time where some publishers were not very respectful of the work of creators and were using any means to make money (it probably still is the case but it is more subtle).

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/20/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Thank you Jenny for all these interesting details! I had no idea that so many games were concerned.

I think they changed the names of more of the games they published than of those they didn't.
Not a good ratio.

This is probably pure marketing strategy, but hard to understand...

Well, they probably didn't have any "good" ideas, so they pushed bad ones.
There were articles on adventure game sites that had good ideas for expanding the adventure game audience, but Dreamcatcher didn't accept any of them. It's so much easier to change the print on the box than to improve your distribution method or look for more effective advertising venues, even if changing the print on the box is totally ineffective and even offputting.

It's like, in another genre, Final Fantasy VI (in Japan) that was renamed Final Fantasy III in US.

I think they did that because so many Final Fantasy games were not released in North America.
The 6th Final Fantasy was only the 3rd one released in North America.
But it's arguably even more confusing than what Dreamcatcher did.
It made things confusing for North American gamers because they wanted to play ALL the games, even if they had to import Japanese versions (from eBay or wherever) and use a modded Playstation or emulator.

I don't know why the publishers didn't just release all of the Final Fantasy games for Playstation in North America because players in the US certainly wanted to play them. And the problems caused by their poor decisions persist to this day. They've republished something called Final Fantasy III on non-Playstation (like Nintendo DS, iPad, and Android), but who knows which Final Fantasy III game that is, and how many people would want to risk repurchasing a game for console or handheld considering they can be considerably more expensive than the $20 or $30 Dreamcatcher's games used to be.
Posted By: mike_bn

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/25/20 06:38 PM

So what was the original game name then for the first game? (In terms of what was written on the box of the first release)
Was it just 'Schizm' (orginal box did not have 'Mysterious Journey' on the box anywhere)
or was it 'Schizm: Mysterious Journey' (while Mysterious Journey was sort of a subtitle written in smaller letters on the box)?
When googling, I only find pictures of the latter.

Same question regarding Schizm 2.

Btw, Schizm I is one of my favorite myst-like games, mainly - but not only - because of the really difficult and clever puzzles.
And yes, I like 'Schizm' as the main name much better than 'Mysterious Journey' (the german translation of Mysterious Journey
sounds ridiciously lame, btw.)

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/25/20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mike_bn
So what was the original game name then for the first game? (In terms of what was written on the box of the first release)
Was it just 'Schizm' (original box did not have 'Mysterious Journey' on the box anywhere)

In Europe it was Schizm, and the game came in a DVD case.
There was more than one DVD case design.
Mobygames has pictures of the boxes and DVD cases for different countries.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/schizm-mysterious-journey/cover-art
In North America, it was Mysterious Journey in a small game box.
Some boxes may have said "Schizm: Mysterious Journey" but the only
ones I saw only said Mysterious Journey. There might be a difference
with re-released versions having different titles.

One other thing that Dreamcatcher did which I didn't like, was to replace the original
introductory video of the game with voiceover text.

Same question regarding Schizm 2.

And pretty much the same answer.
Schizm II: Chameleon in Europe in a DVD case.
Mysterious Journey II in a small box in North America.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/mysterious-journey-ii-chameleon/cover-art

And then there is Sentinel: Descendents in Time.
Renamed to "Realms of Illusion" by Dreamcatcher, but actually sold under
both names in North America, to the consternation of players who bought both
games thinking they were different games.

Btw, Schizm I is one of my favorite myst-like games.

The first time I played it, I thought it was the most beautiful game I'd ever played
with the living ships drifting around. Most of the puzzles were too hard for me
because of the clues being spread out around the gameworld, but I was able
to do some of them on my own. Some people had trouble with the math -- the
geometry and the non-base 10 number systems. But my problems were with
finding my way around and finding clues for those puzzles that needed them.
(I had similar problems with Riven.)
One thing I liked about Schizm II was that the clues were closer to where
you'd use them.

It will be interesting to see how this new game, Nemezis, turns out.

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/25/20 08:29 PM

For the first game, I have the Jewel Case as shown in your link Jenny, right at the top. It does show Schizm at the top but on the bottom it says Mysterious Journey in smaller letters under the picture.

For the second game, I have the small box which only shows Mysterious Journey II. At the bottom it says it is a sequel to Schizm Mysterious Journey. I don't see anywhere on the box that it says Chameleon.

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/25/20 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldbroad
For the first game, I have the Jewel Case as shown in your link Jenny, right at the top. It does show Schizm at the top but on the bottom it says Mysterious Journey in smaller letters under the picture.

For the second game, I have the small box which only shows Mysterious Journey II. At the bottom it says it is a sequel to Schizm Mysterious Journey. I don't see anywhere on the box that it says Chameleon.

That's because you have the North American versions and not the European or UK versions.

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/25/20 09:12 PM

Right, but I was referring to this:

"In North America, it was Mysterious Journey in a small game box.
Some boxes may have said "Schizm: Mysterious Journey" but the only
ones I saw only said Mysterious Journey.
There might be a difference
with re-released versions having different titles. "

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 10/26/20 11:56 AM

Every front cover I checked on the mobygames site has somewhere written 'Mysterious Journey' on it,
so in my opinion
Schizm: Mysterious Journey
should be considered the original title ( 'Schizm' being the 'main' name and Mysterious Journey sort of a subtitle, not sure of
the proper english words here)

Accordingly (for GER at least)

Schizm II: Chamelon

So, in my opinion, the developers should have chosen

Schizm III: Nemezis

for the new title.

It's really a bit frustrating/annoying that developers/publishers make these titles more confusing than necessary....
Posted By: Iurii

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 11/01/20 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jenny100
That was the North American publisher (Dreamcatcher/The Adventure Company) that changed the names of games from their original names. They did this with many games from different developers that they published, not just Detalion (the developer of the Schizm games).

You are totally right of course! I could never understand the meaning of it.
Well, in case of 'Atlantis II' / 'Beyond Atlantis' it could sound like some marketing trick, so that the players who did not play the first game would not be discouraged, but what about all other cases?

And in case of 'Schizm', Dreamcatcher has even changed the intro video! In the European version it was presented as a FMV-interview with the heroes, while in the US version it is just a slide-show with pictures... Why?!

So - please everyone play the European version smile

Originally Posted by Jenny100
Was it just 'Schizm' (original box did not have 'Mysterious Journey' on the box anywhere)

In Europe it was Schizm, and the game came in a DVD case.

Not exactly. I have several editions of this game - I and have uploaded the cover scans to Mobygames.
As it is the Polish game, the original title is 'Schizm: Prawdziwe Wyzwanie' smile Which could be translated as '... a true challenge'.
The UK version was always 'Schizm: Mysterious Journey'.
And it was published first in a box, not in a DVD-case - the more common CD version had 5 CDs. A DVD version in a DVD-case is much rarer - not many people had DVD drives in 2001. I did not, and I had to buy a CD version then - and after a few years I had to spend a lot of time and money to find the DVD version smile

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 11/03/20 10:43 AM

Thanks for the interesting infos, Iurii.

Also, we need to keep in mind that when we talk about 'original' title, one first needs to define what that term is supposed to mean in the context of adventure games: People might have different understandings of what it means. I can see many different 'definitions' which all make sense sonewhat:

1. The title of the game's first release in the country the developers are from. In case of Schizm, the orginal name would then be 'Schizm: Prawdziwe Wyzwanie' or, if translated to english, 'Schizm: A true challenge' or in my language 'Schizm: eine wahre/echte Herausforderung'. This is probably the title the developers have the most say in, so it is probably the title the developers chose, so it makes sense to consider this the original title. As a side note, sometimes in some rare cases it might not be possible to translate such a title if the title contains some very specific term which only exists in that language.

or

2. The title of the game of the country where the game was released first. Probably most of the time this will result to the same
as the definition I gave in 1., but logically it could be a different: It is theoretically possible that a series is so popular that for some reason
a game gets published at first in the US or UK and only after that, it gets published in the country the developers are from
with a different title, meaning those titles - if translated to the same language - do not match. What should take precedence then in order to constituate 'original title'? Date of the very first release across all countries (2.) or the title of the native language of the developers/publisher (1.)?

or (a personal definition which takes into account your own language)

3. The name of the first release in your own country. For me, that would be the german title of the first german release, but I, personally, would almost never use this definition because whenever possible, I play an english version: I feel most of the time english is the native language of the developers/ their publisher anyway (that or the developers specifically designed the game with focus on the english language) , so I am concerned of some language-centric puzzles being cut out in the german version because 'translating' them is either to hard or not possible. So for me it would not make sense using this definition. Why should I care of the german title If I will never play this version aynway? Also, of course, 3. cannot be used as a 'global' definition because the 'value' can vary from country to country. Exception for me is only when the developer is german. Knut Müller - one of my most favorite developers ever - is german, so I play the german version of his games and would take this as the original title (in that particular case the result of defintion 1. and 3. is the same for all germans)

or

4. The title of the earliest release of all countries where the main language is the same as in your own country (e.g. US <-> UK)

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 11/08/20 03:08 AM

Also, we need to keep in mind that when we talk about 'original' title, one first needs to define what that term is supposed to mean in the context of adventure games: People might have different understandings of what it means. I can see many different 'definitions' which all make sense sonewhat:

That's a very theoretical question smile
And I am quite sure it can't be 'defined' once and for all, as different games all have different stories. In some (or, even most) cases, the title spelled in the developers' first language is indeed the original one, but not in all cases as today many developers first think about the international English title, not about the one in their own language. So the correct definition of an 'original' title would require questioning the developers - and studying the history of the game's releases in different countries all over the world.

In case of the first 'Schizm', as far as I know, the original release was in Germany (released 15.06.2001), not in Poland (05.09.2001) or US (17.10.2001) and UK (even later). smile

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 11/08/20 06:38 AM

So, in my opinion, the developers should have chosen

Schizm III: Nemezis

for the new title.

Oh, that's quite another thing, by the way. Which has something to do with the dark matters of copyright laws: as far as I understand, the 'new' Detalion may not have the rights for the name 'Schizm' that could belong to LK Avalon or to THQ Nordic or to who knows whom.

Re: Schizm 3: Nemezis Renamed to Nemezis: Mysterious Journey III - 11/08/20 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Iurii

That's a very theoretical question smile
And I am quite sure it can't be 'defined' once and for all, as different games all have different stories. In some (or, even most) cases, the title spelled in the developers' first language is indeed the original one, but not in all cases as today many developers first think about the international English title, not about the one in their own language. So the correct definition of an 'original' title would require questioning the developers - and studying the history of the game's releases in different countries all over the world.

In case of the first 'Schizm', as far as I know, the original release was in Germany (released 15.06.2001), not in Poland (05.09.2001) or US (17.10.2001) and UK (even later). smile

I agree. Actually I just mentioned a few options how to define 'original' title off the top of my head to show it is not easy. For me it is also not that important and not worth thinking too long about it. And yes, I had forgotten about copyright issues which makes it even more complicated.

I did not know that Schizm I was released in my country at first. I have fond memories playing that game in 2001 or 2002.Similar like Jenny, I found the atmosphere (graphics, floating ships, cutscenes, music) simply brilliant, my eyes were glued to the screen. I can understand that for people who are very much into science-fiction and have read a lot of classic books of that genre, the story is cliched/uncreative/boring. For me it was ok and the combination of superb puzzles and the wonderful atmosphere make it one of my favorite games ever. I cannot wait to play Schizm III.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community