Les Manley in: Lost in L.A.

or there is the Les Manley Bundle

Happy gaming! wave
Posted By: Mad

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/11/20 05:46 PM

Thanks, Marian !! thumbsup
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/11/20 06:24 PM

Thanks Marian! The only one I've heard of is Return of the Phantom (and that one only recently). Are they good games?
Posted By: Marian

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/11/20 07:17 PM

Besides Phantom, I can only vouch for Timequest. It's a very good old-school adventure game with a lot of interesting puzzles. There's a lot of reading, though, and patience is required.

I can't believe that these games are all 25-30 years old now. It seems like yesterday to me. Yikes!

Watching a bit of them on YouTube will give you a good idea of what they are like.
Posted By: connie

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/11/20 07:19 PM

Thanks Marian.

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/11/20 07:39 PM

Yeah, I just took a look at them. The only game I ever TRIED to play that is similar to Timequest (with all the reading) is 1893 A World's Fair. I really like the game but could never get to the end with success. I am actually planning on trying it again though. I have it installed on my XP.

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/11/20 09:56 PM

Since I now know there is a "Novice" setting (thinking about that maze !!) I've gone and bought the Return of the Phantom "download" crazy

[I sold my original game disk version many, many years ago - after the maze drove me mad for weeks and weeks lol]
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/11/20 11:39 PM

Thanks, Marian!
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/12/20 03:27 AM

Bought all 4. That brought my GOG collection up to 300.

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/12/20 03:32 AM

Way to go, Uncle Reg! bravo grin
Posted By: Mikael

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/12/20 03:57 AM

I was to curate an awards ceremony for video games, I would give GOG a special award for significant contributions for the preservation of adventure games. Thanks to them, we can still enjoy hundreds of games that would otherwise be lost in time due to incompatibilities and obsolete gaming engines. Their efforts can not be overestimated.

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/12/20 04:02 AM

I wholeheartedly agree, Mikael !!

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/12/20 02:11 PM

Well said, Mikael. wave

Originally Posted by oldbroad
Yeah, I just took a look at them. The only game I ever TRIED to play that is similar to Timequest (with all the reading) is 1893 A World's Fair. I really like the game but could never get to the end with success. I am actually planning on trying it again though. I have it installed on my XP.

In my opinion Timequest is even better (although I did not finish 1893). And I don't think there's quite as much reading. I would definitely go for Timequest if you have the patience for 1893. These Legend Entertainment games are really good.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/12/20 03:14 PM

Making Shivers I playable on Windows 10 alone should get them an award!

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/12/20 08:53 PM

Well, I followed Uncle Reg's footsteps and bought the games.
Posted By: frazap

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/15/20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Draclvr
Making Shivers I playable on Windows 10 alone should get them an award!

Technically it's the people at ScummVM who should get the award for making Shivers (and many other old Sierra games) working, not GOG. It has enabled the rights holder to put the games on GOG, but it's just as easy to get the games to work in ScummVM if you own the CD:s.

Of course I still bought the games on GOG to support them.:)

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/16/20 04:28 AM

I have VERY many of the original disk versions of old games but have never been able to get my head around using things like ScummVM or DosBox .... with them.

I've tried.

So GOG is IT for me - to have them playable on modern machines !! yes
Posted By: Mikael

Re: More Adventure Oldies Now on GOG - 09/17/20 03:09 AM

The ScummVM developers have done a tremendous job, no doubt about that. But, as Mad points out, running games with ScummVM is complicated, and not really an option for most players. And to run all of these older games with ScummVM, you have to own the original out-of-print game discs. And you have to have a computer with a CD drive (and, as I've understood it, most PC's don't even come with a disc drive today - correct me if I'm wrong here).
© 2024 GameBoomers Community