GB HOMEPAGE

ASYLUM WHO??

Posted By: Orion

ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/30/21 03:46 PM

Hi all

I use to frequent this forum and JA back in the 90's, posted once in awhile and really enjoyed both. It was pretty much adventure game heaven back then. Miss those times

The reason for my posting, as you can tell by the topic, is where and the heck is this game. What's it been.....15 years in development??? Nothing takes that long. There always seems to be one excuse or another, now Covid. Are we ever gonna see this game??? Something tells me no...not in my lifetime anyhow. I'm 64 now so there is still time I hope. I was really looking forward to playing what I had hoped to be a "Masterpiece".

Somehow I missed out on the temporary Demo. Don't know why is was a temporary thing. Would of at least liked to have play some part of Asylum. My loss

There use to be a Asylum website but it seems to be gone. Maybe I'm doing something wrong..... All I can find is this a Discord site. Can anyone send me in the right direction

https://discord.com/channels/368191694384136193/410782748064743424

Latest on Steam

https://steamcommunity.com/games/asylum

All in all I can't imagine what all goes into the development of a game but I know its complicated but come on Senscape lets get Asylum out already. In another 15 years I will be 80
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/30/21 04:00 PM

Hi, Orion and welcome back! I backed Asylum on Kickstarter so many years ago, I've forgotten! The game has been beset with problems for a long time, but is still slogging towards release - some day. I get updates now and then. There are even a couple of gameplay videos out.
Posted By: revco

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/30/21 04:42 PM

Hi Orion...you didn't miss much. The demo was pretty disappointing. No sound with the characters.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/30/21 05:42 PM

Demo was awful, but the gameplay videos are intriguing.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/30/21 06:23 PM

Hang in there Orion! Hopefully we will all get to play the game!
Posted By: Mad

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/30/21 07:28 PM

I'm not giving up .... YET !!!! 🙄🙄🙄
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/30/21 09:59 PM

I pledged on January 29, 2013 and KS ended on February 28, 2013 with a game completion date of 2013. lol
I wouldn't care so much if I'd like anything I've seen so far. I don't think I'm actually going to play it when I do get it.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/30/21 10:07 PM

Ana, do you think your taste in gaming is changing or is the game just not shaping up to what you thought it would be? (I guess those could go together.)
Just wondering.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/30/21 11:05 PM

No, not at all, oldbroad, but good question! I do not care for the graphics at all and the gameplay is clumsy. Every time they re-do it to a different engine or some upgrade, I find it looking worse. It looks and feels like a twenty year old game to me. I'm really quite disappointed.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 12:19 AM

Hm. That is a shame. One of the downfalls of taking such a long time to make a game maybe.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 01:58 AM

I don't understand why progress announcements are now so restricted as to where they get published - even when there ARE any woozy

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 02:06 AM

If a KS backer email says not to be shared, I won't post the news, but I too think it's ridiculous.
Posted By: Mikael

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 02:07 AM

I first heard about Asylum sometime in 2010. I was planning my game Amber's Blood at the time, which largely takes place in an abandoned asylum. I remember being slightly worried that Asylum would be released before my game, and that some players might find the framing of the games too similar. Let's just say that my concern was uncalled-for. Now the project seems to be more abandoned than its locale.

Agustín Cordes is a very talented and driven game designer. I wonder how this project can have capsized so completely.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 02:51 AM

Too funny, Mikael! We announced the game here on July 09, 2010 Mikael. It sure has been awhile!

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 02:04 PM

Well.....I tell you what. Don't hold your breath on this one for too long, as if one has lately. Seems they bit off more then they can chew. They reached their goal of $100,000 reaching $119,000 according to the Asylum Kickstarter. I can only guess that this amount is nowhere near what was needed to finish this project. Having to dig into your own pockets and working with a limited amount of personal is never a good thing....when working on other games as well?

Remember that Sci-Fi game Prominence. It took 12 years to develop. I really enjoyed playing it once it released so I guess there is a chance Asylum will release one of these years. I'm just glad this is one I did not back.

Here the link to Asylum's Kickstarter. Check out the FAQ posted back in 2013 regarding taking so long. Its been what...8+ years

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror/description

As far as the Demo last summer.....What the heck....Guess I did not miss anything. You would think that Demo would have been "SPOT ON". It should have been a selling point. Now I did not run it, just have been reading comments about it and they have not been great

It sure would be nice to get some detailed, and I mean DETAILED, info on the games progress from Scenscape. Where the heck are we on this. Oh well....just a thought.....

I hope someday, probably some year, they finally release Asylum. The videos look great and makes one anxious to play. Gonna put this one on the backburner...... again

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 02:21 PM

When I get my next email from Agustin, I will let you know what he says! They also pretty much started over with the game engine at one point in time.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 02:45 PM

Ok Draclvr.

That would be nice. Its something I guess. You should get them to spill the beans here. Give us some details. I would say it might put some backers minds at ease but I guess they get some kind of updates as backers I don't know. I would be curious to see if these updates are satisfying or leaving one with questions/doubt. Guess that would be up to ones own mind

Thank you

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 03:19 PM

The last PR notice not a backer exclusive was announced here.

Here was our official First Look of the Demo by flotsam.

Since I do the official PR and admin here, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to post anything asked to not post.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 03:41 PM

Thanks for the links Ana,

I'm sure when Asylum releases, whatever year that might be, it will be worth getting/playing. Little surprised to see only 15 hrs gameplay. Then again how many hours can you spend in a haunted insane asylum before loosing your mind

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 05/01/21 04:07 PM

Well, I can't spill the beans with anything Agustin directs backers not to, but anything that is in the public domain I will!

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 07/22/21 12:28 PM

Hello again,

Just wondering if anyone has any updates on Asylum. SOMETHING you can share.

I wonder why backers are not allowed to share info given to them about Asylum. Whats the big deal / secrets here. Are they talking release dates / progress. Probably just keeping those who backed, I dont know....If I had to guess...keeping all of those who backed hanging.

I tried to get a response from a email I sent and got nothing. I wonder what happens, for those who backed, If the game never comes to a release. Id be a little upset. I guess that would depend on how much I trusted to them

You got anything to say Senscape?????..............Where are you?..........HELLLOOOO !

I will eat my words and apologize, if I am still alive, if Asylum releases some year. Oh well..........You all take care

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 07/22/21 01:11 PM

I have not received any press releases from them. They keep hiring additional people and that pretty much sums up the announcements.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 07/22/21 02:37 PM

Yes, what Ana said. It's been months since the last update for backers. I don't even pay any attention to them any more. Mostly hiring more people and how great it looks... blah, blah, blah.
Posted By: revco

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 07/22/21 03:38 PM

I so want to play this but it seems like a scam at this point. it's been like 10 years and the recent demo didn't show anything special to justify the length it's taking to be released/completed. Even if employees come and go, it's just pathetic.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 07/22/21 06:14 PM

Check out their updated Kickstarter page. People are bent some asking for their money back. Team responses

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror/comments

Take a look at the Campaign amounts and their offers on completion in 2013/14. I'd say they are in a world of hurt trying to finish Asylum. Bit off more then they can chew. I hope they can work it out. Backers can look at udates by logging in. Last May 21

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 07/23/21 11:37 PM

Well we have a public announcement here!
We summoned the dead! rotfl zombie

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 07/24/21 04:26 AM

devil devil devil

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/19/22 04:20 PM

Hi all

Hope you are enjoying Syberia: The World Before. Got her installed but have yet to start. Soon as I get done here I'll be double clicking

So.....Can anyone share anything new about.....geeze I forgot the name....ASYLUM! You know when this game first showed up the vids and screens
pretty much had us all ready to download. I can only believe we would still go after it if it ever does release. Right now I'm just looking for ANY info on it. They use to have a website dedicated to it. I dont know what happened to it. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to maybe get updates that aren't backer related. I really don't know why I care. I don't know.....just hoping to play someday I guess thinking, as long as it is taking to develop, this will be one for the history books you'd think

I dont know how long this latest Syberia took to develop but maybe someone should give Koalabs Games a call. Syberia looks great. I played the demo and wanted more RIGHT now. IT'S HERE! They did not mess around. You know thats how you do it!

Getting back to Asylum....Is the info you backers are getting any signs of hope or are they still beating around the bush. If there is no info on a release then in my opinion there never will be a release and I will finally remove from wishlist and forget about it. Should have done that already. If they were getting close you would think there would be mention of it. I really wonder whats going on. One thing for sure...I am glad I did not back. Last time I checked somewhere, can't remember where, many wanted their money back. Wonder how that works out for them

I won't be ranting on this game anymore. Please forgive my.......hostilities?

Take care all..... on to Syberia

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/19/22 05:08 PM

Especially for those of us who did back this game, you have plenty of company, Orion! Have fun with Syberia!
Posted By: LadyKestrel

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/19/22 10:13 PM

I think the Asylum team are using Discord now instead of Senscape. Also, if I remember correctly, Augustin is from Venezuela, which has had its share of problems.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/19/22 11:11 PM

Agustin lives in Buenos Aires, Argentina and he is fine.

The latest update was yesterday and this is it:
BTW gang, it's been an eventful Friday of wrapping up stuff, talking to potential new people to join Senscape, and we have a bunch of solid news lined up for next week. The Asylum is busier than ever, and the schedule is tighter than ever too!

We know that we're owing you one of those massive Steam updates with loads of screenshots and goodies, and that's just around the corner 👀

When there is something I can post that means anything, I'll be posting.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/20/22 12:38 AM

Thank you for that, BrownEyedTigre. At least THAT is a positive in this totally disappointing situation 🙂

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/22/22 02:33 PM

Appreciate the comments.

Guess they are going to release more pics and "goodies"....OK. How about a tenative release date, this year, next year, 5 years from now. What ever happened to this other demo I thought they were going to release or were they???

SIBERIA....PLAY IT ! Absolutely AMAZING ! This is what adventure gaming is all about. You don't see much of this type of PURE adventure gaming anymore. Could be the last of it's kind. Don't let it get away from you. I did not know that Benot passed away, very sad. They have dedicated this BEAUTIFUL WORK OF ART to him

You all take care out there and thank you
Posted By: lakerz

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/27/22 02:29 AM

I too backed Asylum. I used to get occassional KS updates through email, but it has been quite a while since the last one. Glad to hear development is still ongoing, but for sure they incorporated way too much ambition in the game design. Still rooting for them though

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/27/22 02:25 PM

This is quoted from the Kickstarter comments a month ago:
I look forward to play the Asylum game - hopefully before the whole world turns into one big asylum - but is there a chance that the game will be released in 2022?

Reply:
Our pleasure, *****, and thanks for the kind words. Guess you realized the big twist of the game -- we all have to go crazy to play it!

In all seriousness, you know that's a difficult question, and I wouldn't want to give false hopes -- but we're taking steps to ensure a release date is settled as soon as humanly possible. I'll be glad to discuss more about this in our upcoming update!

Hard to be believe it was funded on "Successfully funded on Feb 28 2013" I was backer #6. lol

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/27/22 03:20 PM

I don't know what number I was, but me too!

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/27/22 03:59 PM

Drac, if you go to KS and view your pledge the number you are is on there. I think many of us back in the day, jumped at the chance to support and purchase the game. This among others is why I no longer give my hard earned money to any kickstarters.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/27/22 04:41 PM

I stopped too. I think the last one was The Season of the Warlock about 3 years ago. I'm really looking forward to that release because the demo was fun. But I've given up on Asylum.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/27/22 05:05 PM

I refuse to give up !! After all, what's 10 years or so of waiting ?? lol lol lol

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/27/22 06:27 PM

At our age, Mad, that is a relative question!!

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/27/22 07:13 PM

Well I'm NOT giving up, Draclvr, as I'm hoping to be still playing games when I reach 90.
[ And that's only another 10 years away !! devil devil devil ]

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/27/22 07:55 PM

I have the same goals, Mad!

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/27/22 11:38 PM

Here we go, then !! bravo bravo bravo
Posted By: Argyle1968

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/31/22 04:22 PM

I think Braken Tor has this one beat.
Posted By: Marian

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/31/22 04:37 PM

It's been a long wait for Bracken Tor, but I still have hope that we will see it someday. smile

One thing I can say is that Jonathan's and Matt's games have all been worth the wait.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/31/22 07:40 PM

Asylum was crowd funded; Bracken Tor was not. Makes a difference for some people.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/31/22 07:48 PM

That would definitely make a difference to me, oldbroad. yes

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/31/22 08:42 PM

Me too !! A big difference yes

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 03/31/22 10:38 PM

Argyle1968, there is no comparison with the two games. Shadow Tor Studios has never asked for a dime from anyone. They can make whatever game decisions they wish with their games. They owe no one, any thing.

When you ask for money and make promises and then follow that with nearly ten years of excuses, I think those of us that supported him deserve something and we have the right to complain.
Posted By: jimrh69

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/01/22 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Argyle1968

Bracken Tor became Barrow Hill: The Dark Path according to the developer Matt Clark as he himself told me.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/01/22 06:37 PM

I have to agree with Ana here. Bracken Tor doesn't have $30 of my money.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/01/22 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by jimrh69

Bracken Tor became Barrow Hill: The Dark Path according to the developer Matt Clark as he himself told me.

That's the first time I've heard that woozy But it could explain a lot yes

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/02/22 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by jimrh69

jimrh69, I think there was a miscommunication. Here is the details regarding Bracken Tor from Matt within the last hour (I just spoke to him).

Bracken Tor is it’s own storyline and game, set in very different new locations. Not the same as The Dark Path or Barrow Hill. The Dark Path’s narrative, puzzle and graphics were never part of Bracken Tor with exception to some of the woodlands graphic screens and the inside of the garage. Those were going to appear in Bracken Tor as a side story but that has since been dropped.

Dark Path explores barrow hills original locations and new ones nearby for its ‘10 years on’ separate story, with the spirit of a Shaman witch awoken from slumber.

Bracken Tor story explores the moors, legends of beasts protecting ancient sites and transports the player back into pockets of the Bronze Age in order to face The Trails of the past, as The Wild Hunt awake.

What is shared with all titles are characters and local world elements. In Barrow Hill you learnt about local character, those evolved and some appeared in Dark Path, but you also had some new characters introduced such as Agatha an archaeologist of antiquity who’s unfortunate ‘work’ disturbed ancient sites and set in motion event. In Bracken Tor we find out what happens/happened with Agatha and the disappearance at a archaeology dig in the 60s.

In all games there’s hints to the Wychwood storyline which I hope return to and rebuild at a later date.

And many characters cross over between games still.

Oh and so Bracken Tor is still coming - rebuilding in a new game engine but keeping as point and click, and will likely arrive relabelled as Barrow Hill: The Bracken Tor or similar (Bracken Tor still for me, in the same way I call game 2 Dark Path)

Hope that helps clear that up.

And getting back to the discussion of Asylum. Apparently this is the update Senscape promised (posted 2 hours ago):
Hello there, Facebook community! Or is that Meta now? 🤔

We know you've been expecting news, and we have them right here: a thorough recap about the current situation of ASYLUM, filled with gorgeous 4K screenshots which bring the hideously decrepit environments of the game to a whole new dimension of detailed horror.

It's all looking good, and with a reinforced team, things are happening fast. Soon we'll be opening the gates to the Hanwell Mental Institute so that a crew of unlucky people can lose their minds in its twisty corridors, while providing us with feedback in the process (at least before they start babbling incoherently).

Stay tuned for more. We are determined to wrap up this ambitious project as soon as we can, and finally unleash its frights and mysteries to you!

Check out the update here.

Happy Gaming!

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/02/22 12:32 AM

Thanks for clearing that up about Bracken Tor, Ana. I was quite certain that it and Dark Path are two completely different games; however, it is good to get the official confirmation from Matt. smile

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/02/22 12:33 AM

Thanks, BET, for clearing up the Bracken Tor situation 👍

AND I was emailed an Asylum update today as well.

Good Stuff 🤗

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/02/22 03:04 AM

I had a feeling that Bracken Tor and Dark Path were certainly not the same game. Thanks for clearing it up, Ana!

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/02/22 03:56 AM

Thanks for all the info Ana!
Posted By: Iurii

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/03/22 11:29 AM

Ana, thanks for the news from Matt and Augustine!

You are right of course about "Bracken Tor" not having our money already, but...
Does anyone remember those ancient times when "Bracken Tor" was available for pre-order?
I do smile That was 30 euros: https://web.archive.org/web/20101130093014/http://www.iceberg-shop.com/bracken-tor.html
I was going to pre-order it and I am glad I did not do that after all.

But someone probably did? I do not think they feel pleased that the game that was going to be released in 2010 had not yet appeared 12 years later. I can only hope they got their money back from the would-be publisher.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/03/22 01:54 PM

Iurii, for the most part, Developers have no control what the publishers do with their games. Also, blaming the developers without knowing the background when a publisher is involved is often directing the frustration to the wrong place. And contracts mean they can't go public with issues. Bottom line is, Matt has not asked for money.

Sooooo.....lets go back to chatting about Asylum. smile

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/03/22 02:38 PM

Plus, it's SO NICE to hear from you, Iurii! We've been worried.

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/03/22 02:47 PM

Yes, it's great to see you posting, Iurii! hug

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/03/22 03:19 PM

Well I must say it is finally nice to see an update that might lead to a release. According to the update they have a playable game. Once played by Discord's Mods and them giving their opinions and ideas of Asylum some final tweaking will be done before releasing. Definately an update actually saying something in a good direction. If they only had been giving positives updates all along they might have saved themselves a lot of negativity. Now who wants to wager on how long the tweaking will take........Take care all and thank you Sassy Admin
Posted By: Iurii

Re: ASYLUM WHO?? - 04/04/22 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Draclvr
Plus, it's SO NICE to hear from you, Iurii! We've been worried.

Thanks! smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community