GB HOMEPAGE

Motion Sickness with Adventure Games

Posted By: barbarosso

Motion Sickness with Adventure Games - 07/26/21 11:51 AM

G'day All,

I started playing Obduction and noticed to my horror that I was getting motion sickness. I cheerfully admit that I cannot watch films of racing cars or fast moving vehicles taken from the vehicle, but this is the first time that I have observed it with an adventure game.

Has anyone noticed something something similar.

Cheers, barbarosso
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Motion Sickness with Adventure Games - 07/26/21 12:40 PM

I think you will find lots of us suffer motion sickness in games! I know I do! Here is a previous thread with suggestions on how to reduce motion sickness in Obduction: Motion Sickness....

Ana wave
Posted By: Simon

Re: Motion Sickness with Adventure Games - 07/26/21 12:52 PM

Unfortunately I also suffer of motion sickness, and I can confirm, barbarosso, that you're not the only one! It is one of the reasons why I could never finish playing Obduction and Quern, sadly... (And working on the tests of my game Myha was terrible for me).

I have never understood why I have motion sickness with these adventure games, because I could play games like Skyrim or Fallout III in the past without too many problems.
It would seem that I have found a link (in my own case) between screen resolution and motion sickness. Playing in 1280x720 is quite ok for me, when the same game in 1920x1080 will make me sick. I don't know why (fps/speed, maybe?).

If anyone has found a way to fix motion sickness in 1st person 3d games, I'm interested!
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Motion Sickness with Adventure Games - 07/26/21 07:06 PM

Always barbarosso! I played Obduction, usually in small shifts while drinking a cup of tea but before eating anything. That's kind of how I play a lot of these game. I also move around as slowly as I can in the games which works well during exploration time but when you get stuck and are just wandering around trying to figure things out, it does not. After awhile I'll usually look at a walkthrough for a nudge.
Posted By: Jarkeld

Re: Motion Sickness with Adventure Games - 07/26/21 08:07 PM

Sometimes it's a FOV issue.
I can't predict which games will trigger my motion sickness. Sometimes movie grain effects will trigger it.
Posted By: barbarosso

Re: Motion Sickness with Adventure Games - 07/27/21 01:57 AM

Many thanks, Ana. I'll try some of the suggestions and see how I go.

Cheers, barbarosso
Posted By: pkstracy

Re: Motion Sickness with Adventure Games - 08/23/21 01:53 PM

I too suffer from motion sickness, noticed it when I played the new Resident Evil game, I will deff look into the linked thread about motion sickness thank you for sharing the link.
Posted By: Lex

Re: Motion Sickness with Adventure Games - 08/23/21 07:04 PM

I can remember having to abandon Quake (which looked like being a great game) because of motion sickness, and having to limit my time on some others for the same reason: very interesting to note what Simon says about seen resolution above. smile
Posted By: Ewil02

Re: Motion Sickness with Adventure Games - 08/24/21 06:32 PM

I don't know why it's so prevalent in today's games, but a lot of developers use motion blur in their games to make the graphics much cooler. I would check the games video settings and turn off motion blur if they have a toggle. That may help.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community