GB HOMEPAGE

Games list - thoughts

Posted By: flotsam

Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 12:11 AM

Hi all
It’s been a while (5 years) since we have done a list and so we thought we would bring it back, but with a bit of a twist.
At this stage I am intersted in your thoughts about what is proposed. If no one likes the idea I can do something else smile
First things first, we are adding Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect to the Hall of Fame. It featured prominently since its release and came first more than once. Plus Tex deserves to be in there.
With respect to the list, you may remember it was a way to help other boomers work out what to play next. The collective wisdom of all of us would identify various possibilities.
That is still the objective but between the previous lists and the HoF we have a lot of recommendations about 'older' games and so we want to try and unearth more recent games. We propose therefore that this year we do the following:
- you can list up to 10 games
- 5 of those can be released whenever
- the other 5 need to have been released in (lets say) the last 5 years
As far as "released in the last 5 years" is concerned, take it as being any game released in 2018 to the current date. That picks up a bit of overlap with our last list and everything since.
You wouldn't have to list 10 games if you didn't want to, and more than 5 can be 'recent'. The only real hard and fast rule is that you can only have 5 selections pre-2018.
We would start the list in a couple more months, but in the meantime, let me know what you think.
yes
Posted By: Marian

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 12:50 AM

I think it's a great proposal, flotsam, and I am all for it. wave
Posted By: Mad

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 12:53 AM

That all sounds fine to me, flotsam, but I’ll first need to verify which could be “recent” releases as I have no sense of such timings - I just buy what I fancy when I fancy it !! 😉
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 01:10 AM

I'm sorry but what is HoF?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 01:15 AM

I'm all in, flotsam!

oldbroad, Hall of Fame. smile
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 05:30 AM

Great idea, Flotsam!
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 05:42 AM

Ah, thanks Ana! duh

I like the lists but admit I am not sure about participating. blush
Posted By: meryl

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 08:10 AM

I don't play enough games to get a broad enough perspective to participate, but I find the lists very interesting and useful. Please bring 'em on!
Posted By: CaptainD

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 09:47 AM

Sounds like a good idea. Recency bias tends to work in reverse when it comes to point and clicks. I can think of two games from last year alone that definitely deserve to be called classics!
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 11:25 AM

I'm in...a great idea flotsam.

Gerry wave
Posted By: connie

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 01:09 PM

Thanks flotsam, Great idea.
Posted By: ergggo

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/04/23 01:40 PM

Looking forward to participating in the list as you've proposed, flotsam...thanks!
Posted By: Orion

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/05/23 03:26 PM

I'm in flotsam. Sounds interesting and fun. Can't wait to see all the suggestions come in
Posted By: KatieB

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/05/23 04:06 PM

I am happy to participate. I've always been Mac-based but just got a new Windows computer just for games, so I will be interested in the lists! Thanks for putting this together.

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/05/23 09:13 PM

Thanks all - sounds like it’s a goer yes
We will kick it off around mid-year smile
Posted By: Kickaha

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/08/23 11:12 AM

Lists are good, and I'll be interested in what the final results are!

Adventure games do cover a wide area, much wider than when I started by playing the likes of "Discworld" and "Monkey Island". Are you planning to have categories of Adventure games?

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/10/23 04:42 AM

I wasn’t and haven’t tried to do that in earlier lists.
The only distinction is that games that fall on the Dark Side aren’t included as they get there own list.
Apart from that so long as it’s an adventure it’s in yes
Posted By: Kickaha

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/10/23 08:43 AM

Okay that's fine! It'll be worth seeing what makes the top ten.

I've thought a lot over the years about how to classify Adventure games. It is a challenge when what is labelled as an Adventure game can have action or RPG elements in it, when games range from puzzlefests to walking simulators.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Games list - thoughts - 03/17/23 12:38 AM

Thanks for doing this flotsam. smile

Re: Games list - thoughts - 06/05/23 02:26 AM

Just bumping this up as a heads-up.
I will start a new thread for the list in the next couple of weeks, so get your recent game thinking caps on yes
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Games list - thoughts - 06/05/23 05:00 AM

Thanks for doing this flotsam, these lists really help to see what is out there.
Just a quick question, do games like The House of Da Vinci count as an adventure game or are those games fit in puzzle type games?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Games list - thoughts - 06/05/23 12:16 PM

Starcom, The House of DaVinci is definitely an adventure game! If I've announced it here, it can be safe to include.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community