GB HOMEPAGE

Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning

Posted By: exalthim2

Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/23/08 12:26 AM

I recently bought Mushroom Age from BF and I played it for a short time last week. Today I get a security message from McAfee that a trojan was blocked and the location was in Muhsroom age. I'm not sure what this means. I thought it was safe to download games. Can someone help me with this?
Thanks
Kim
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 12:29 AM

exalthim, BFG games are safe. I'm sure what you got was a false positive. Some update in your virus data bank decided that something in the game was a trojan.

I had that with AVG and Everlight. I think it happens with every VS program eventually.

Did you send a report to McAfee and contact BFG?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 12:31 AM

There was another incident on the Adventure Chronicles thread today. Also from McAfee. It has happened before wioth ABG, CA, Norton etc. Sometimes when the antivirus companies update their signatures it does a false reading on content in games. Just let BFG know and they can contact them.

EDIT: Too slow! lol Hi L4L :happydance12:

Ana wave

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 12:35 AM

Ok I'll contact BFG. I figured it was ok nut I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the fast responses Ana and L4L
Kim

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 12:39 AM

I don't blame you Kim--I'm the same way :wave12:

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 12:47 AM

Here is a thread on it at BigFish.

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 12:48 AM

I sent an email to BFG and in this short time I got 2 more trojan messages from Mushroom Age and I'm not even playing it. How weird
kim

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 12:53 AM

Any BF game you have installed will likely be deleted. Not much you can do about it till someone tells McAffee to stop.

There is an email address you need to write Here.

Ana wave

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 02:57 AM

Thanks again Ana. I'll contact McAfee. Man, this stuff is complicated. Anyway, try to stay warm. We have another snow storm coming tommorrow eek Be safe :christmas:
Kim

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 03:00 AM

I'm doing my snow dance Kim....keep it coming. :happydance12:
Good luck on your virus issue....it happened to me a year ago, I understand what a pain it is.

Ana wave
Posted By: Teddo

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 01:46 PM

I had the same problem with AVG. I got rid of it and am now using AVAST. No problems. Teddo
Posted By: misa

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 02:27 PM

Oh geez. I use McAfee and yup, my exe files in the games for my BFG games being deleted. I'd rather not turn off background scanning. Going to email McAfee now. *sigh*

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 02:33 PM

Sorry misa....I remember how I felt when it did it to me and it's really a pain. Fortunately they have a better game manager now then when I had it happen.

I hope it does not happen to anyone that does not have broadband.

Ana wave

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 02:43 PM

Yeah, not fun at all! McAfee is pretty much going in and systematically removing the exe files when I open the game folder or try and access it through the game manager. It's not even showing up on the quarantined list or in recent event logs within the application.

Oh BFG has officially been in contact with McAfee as indicated in this thread. On the second page someone stated that they received a response that a patch would be out within 24-48 hours.

I hope that they patch it before xmas!
Posted By: jody319

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 04:19 PM

Have contacted McAfee...NO help!!! Guess I'll deal after the holidays...grr, NO MORE downloads from McAfee until this is fixed. Have a great time y'all and we'll hope it is settled soon. :happydance12: wave
Posted By: bermag45

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 04:31 PM

I emailed Kaspersky 2 or 3 weeks ago to inform that company that I was getting 'trojan' warnings on 3 of BFG's download files. I have received no reply whatsoever.

However, I am able to proceed with each download as I am asked if I wish to allow the download and I then click on "add to trusted".

Anyone with Kaspersky may find this useful, especially knowing they can still download by doing what I have said above. wave

Bernie monky

Re: Question on downloading games - 12/23/08 04:45 PM

Oh, for those having issues with McAfee, check your other games as well. McAfee quarantined 4 of my games bought from Spintop (all four Little Shop games).

On the upside, this gives me an opportunity to clean out my computer a little. I had far too many BFG games installed.
Posted By: joanieS

Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 05:09 PM

I just rec'd two notices from my McAfee account about trojans being deleted from my system One was associated with Slotwords and the other with Return to Mysterious Island. Both of these are downloads from BigFish I e-mailed BF but unfortunately they are off on holiday. Anybody know what is going on here?

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 05:25 PM

Joanie, I combined your thread with the other thread on this. all the info you need should be on this thread.

ana wave

Posted By: joanieS

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 05:41 PM

Thank you so much for your excellent help!
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 06:22 PM

I'm so pleased to see this thread here, as about 10 minutes ago I got a warning from McAfee that I had a trojan in Madame Fate - I downloaded it when it came out which was over a year ago? - so it was a bit of a shock! It's good to know in one way that McAfee are doing a good job & hopefully the patch will sort the problem out! :smile12:

EDIT Since posting all my BF games have gone including my Diner Dash ones! :cry12: :cry12: :cry12:
Posted By: BFG-Guy

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 08:10 PM

McAfee is NOT doing a good job. They are ruining peoples holidays. This is a FALSE warning and they are uninstalling games from BFG, Shockwave, iwin, platfirst and others. I am furious. They have promised a patch within 24 hours...that is about 48 hours too late in my opinion.

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 08:18 PM

Amen to that BFG-Guy! I was furious when CA Anti-Virus (E-trust) did that.

Ana wave
Posted By: catsmom

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 08:29 PM

All my games are gone too. Will McAfee do a update?

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 08:32 PM

catsmom, se BFG-Guys post 2 above you.

ana wave
Posted By: misslilo

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 08:32 PM

Sheesh, what a mess!
Thank god for my Webroot - it has a Gaming Mode, that I turn on with just a click, everytime I play or download games. Just in case smile

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 09:12 PM

I'm not sure if someone mentioned this earlier but you can restore deleted games *if* you are willing to turn off real time scanning until the next update comes out.

Turn off real time scanning, then go into "restore", sort the files by date and restore all the ones that were deleted today/yesterday and you should be good to go without having to redownload any of the games (McAfee is quarantining the *.exe game files only, not any of the data files).

This is a real pain though for customers and for businesses like BFG.
Posted By: widget

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 09:36 PM

Thought it was only me, I have had 2 trojans, trying to get rid of them,

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 09:58 PM

widget, if they're with your BFG games, they are *not* trojans. It is a mistake/false positive by McAfee.
Posted By: widget

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 10:09 PM

Well one of them I tracked to Samantha Smith game, and they have only appeared since I downloaded the Notrodame game, both from BF

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 10:13 PM

I chatted with a person from McAfee and she said there will be an update within 24 hours. That it is a known problem and they are working on it.
Once the update, I wonder if you have to download all the same games again and the download manager?

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 10:18 PM

BFG-Guy - could you please let Kaspersky know that your game downloads are totally safe please?

With each download there are 3 of your ".exe" files being flagged up as trojans or as being spyware!

As I said earlier in this topic, I emailed Kaspersky 3 to 4 weeks ago and gave the company the names of your 3 ".exe" files to inform it that it was OK but I did not receive any reply!!

Thanks

Bernie wave monky

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/23/08 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: catsmom
Once the update, I wonder if you have to download all the same games again and the download manager?

No, you shouldn't have to redownload. Read my previous post about restoring from quarantine.

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 12:02 AM

Well, since my last post evry game I bought has been deleted and I start my vacation tommorrow. Had high hopes of finishing the 5 games I had started. Now they're gone. (just venting cause I'm so darn mad mad)
I'll try to restore games from misa's post.

if a patch comes out do I need to do anything with it or is it automatically updated?

Thanks for listening thanks

:christmas:
Kim

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 12:12 AM

Kim, you should be able to play without losing your saves. I have redownloaded games and the saves were in place.

THe patch should automatically update if you have your update turned on.

Ana wave

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 12:28 AM

McAfee finally released the patch that fixed their error. The update or "DAT" file of the fix is version 5473. Once installed you have to restore your games from quarantine. Some folks reported that they had to redownload from BFG to get them working, while others could simply restore from McAfee.

Grrr....It's been a long 26 hours, but it is fixed. If you cannot get your games working contact Customer support. Be patient as this McAfee debacle caused a flood of over 10,000 support email.

This was a McAfee issue and it affected BFG and several other game sites.

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 12:38 AM

Thank you so much BFG for all your efforts to help us resolve this issue. You're the best praise bravo
Kim

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 12:47 AM

Thanks BFG-Guy for liasing with McAfee to ensure that they fix their issues. Sorry that this affected you and so many people. I hope that you and all your staff are able to wind down and have a good and relaxing holiday!

---------------------

For all others, you do not need to redownload/reinstall your games. Follow these instructions:

1. Update
Open McAfee, click "Update" to ensure that you get the latest files. Wait until that's updated and installed.

2. Restore from Quarantine

Go back into McAfee, click "Advanced Menu" at the bottom left corner, then click on "Restore" on the left side, then "Files". Click on "Date" to sort by date and check all the files with a date of yesterday or today and then click "Restore".
Posted By: HorseDancer

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 12:47 AM

Thank you so much BFG Guy. You are always there for us. I don't use McAfee (and never will after this mess) but do so appreciate having you on "our" side. :happydance12:

Every time I have had any question or concern your staff has been so polite, helpful and understandable!! :bravo12:

Also proud of the fact that you are right here in Seattle, WA!! A home-town Guy. :winter:

Have a wonderful holiday season!!

HorseDancer

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 12:50 AM

This is probably a really basic question but how do you restore files from quarantine or whereer they went.
Kim

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 12:53 AM

exalthim2, I edited my post above to include instructions. It's really easy but you need to make sure you update your McAfee first using the "Update" option.

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 01:08 AM

I'm glad that McAfee finally issued the patch so you all can start gaming again.

Thanks BFG-Guy for the update! I do hope your staff can unwind a bit to enjoy the holidays. Kudos to all of you.

Ana wave

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 01:11 AM

Thanks misa I muddled my way through it before I read your post and it seemed to work. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Sly One

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 01:20 AM

BFG-Guy

I just want to say thank you so much for all you do. I was following the forums here and the BFG forum since yesterday and the BFG customer service is just impeccable. I was one of the ones that was affected and I lost all of my games so I want to say thank you for all that you do. I just received my Fish yesterday and it couldn't have come at a better time. I just love you site and I recommend it to everyone I know that plays any kind of game. I will continue to always do that and I will continue to be a member for as long as I am here and BFG is here. Thank You! Have a GREAT Holiday! You an your staff certainly derserve it.

Barbara

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 01:40 AM

misa, I followed your directions and I have my games back. I looked at the DAT and it is different than the one I gave to McAfee.Only one problem tho is, instead of the Icon pictures I have white looking data pages. The Icons were cute I do want them back.

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 02:29 AM

I'm on my second glass of red wine....ahhhhh.

If you are missing things (like desktop icons) due to McAfee, you can always uninstall and reinstall from your 'My Account' 'Purchase History' on BFG. Some games will overwrite your game progress though when you reinstall.

Happy Holidays (with games!!!!)

Posted By: Sly One

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 02:34 AM

Ahhhh..that sounds really good BFG-Guy. Think I'll join you... :rotfl12: :praise12:Thank you again.

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 04:29 AM

We have a 4 glass limit here BFG-Guy otherwise you'll have to go to the naughty corner where I can keep an eye on ya. :yay12:

Ana :christmas:
Posted By: Cynder

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 09:20 AM

I also spent 25 minutes with McAfee live support last night, since it had quarantined 5 of my Big Fish games. Basically, while the support person was very polite, he was no help at all and I got the "hang on 24 hours" response.

It seems to be fixed now, but I had to restore everything by hand and redo all my icons on my desktop, so I'm less than pleased with McAfee right now.

Thanks for the help, BFG-Guy!

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/24/08 09:41 AM

Hi BFG-Guy - only just picked up your email sent at 23:49 on 23 December as I am in the UK

This was regarding the 3 .exe files and Kaspersky. I will get back to you about this when I have made a 'test download' at BFG and have written down exactly what Kaspersky says the problem is.

** It may help to know that, until I click the "add to trusted" the actual game manager will not come on-screen and begin the download. I recall all the 3 files began with bfg but I do not think that will be a great help think

Will get back to you later - now off up the village to pick up the turkey thumbsup

Bernie monky

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/24/08 02:17 PM

OK then BFG-Guy - Re: Kaspersky!

The names of the .exe files you asked for are bfgclient.exe, bfggameservices.exe and bfgprocess.exe. Originally, Kaspersky flagged up a warning that these 3 files contained "Riskware - Hidden Install" and I had to click on "add to trusted" to allow the Game Download Manager to kick in. Two alternatives on the Kaspersky warning were Cancel and Deny.

Had I been a potential new customer to BFG, and a Kaspersky user, this would most certainly have put me off downloading from your excellent site!!!

I have just done 2 further tests downloading games not previously downloaded. The first game being The Pini Society. BEFORE the Game Download Manager was able to kick in the following warning was flagged up by Kaspersky and I had to once again click on "Add to Trusted" before the game could be downloaded:

Kaspersky Quote: RISKWARE - Hidden install. Program module C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BigFishGamesCache\Upgrade\stub\the-pini-society_s1_l1_gF2657T1L1_d387287152[1].exe installed and running without user interaction. This activity is similar to Trojan Download Dropper.

I tried it again with a jigsaw download and the same happened with the jigsaw application file flagged up.

I am used to clicking on "add to Trusted" in order to bring up the download manager and so download the game but, as stated, anyone new to BFG would most certain be put off.

I confirm that I emailed Kaspersky 3 or 4 weeks ago giving that company details of the 3 .exe files above and stating that there were no hidden installs. I have had no reply from Kaspersky.

I do hope this helps and please contact me again should you require any further information.

Bernie wave

Bernie monky

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/24/08 03:09 PM

Bernie, if you recieved a private email, perhaps it would be best to respond to it via email.

Ana :wave12:

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/24/08 03:59 PM

I am up and running with all games and progress intact :yay12: I learned a lot from all your help. So, from the bottom of my heart thanks for your patience and your help. I appreciate you all so much.

Thankd again BFG for being so attentive and responsive to us. You're great.
May God bless each one of you this Christmas.

so with that said, I'm going to to trudge thru the neverending snow over to BF and order a boatload of games. maybe BFG will share some of his refreshments

Kim

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/24/08 04:01 PM

Ana, the email contained a link to this forum and this topic!

Bernie

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/24/08 04:39 PM

exalthim2, glad you're up and running again. smile
Posted By: C65candy

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/24/08 07:26 PM

I lost all my games so I turned off my McAffee so I wouldn't lose more and started to delete and reinstall them, I don't know if I should put my McAffee back on the desktop or what to do now, and suggestions?
Posted By: HorseDancer

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/24/08 09:26 PM

Hi,

I use AVG Anti Virus http://free.avg.com It is a free program with weekly updates and was recommended by my computer repair company.

Good luck. It is no fun to have to reinstall everything.

:holidays:

HorseDancer

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/24/08 09:26 PM

C65candy, it is not necessary to uninstall and reinstall the games. As long as you have updated McAfee to the latest files, you can have McAfee back on. See my previous post in this thread with instructions on updating McAfee AND restoring your files from quarantine.

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/24/08 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: BFG-Guy
McAfee is NOT doing a good job. They are ruining peoples holidays. This is a FALSE warning and they are uninstalling games from BFG, Shockwave, iwin, platfirst and others. I am furious. They have promised a patch within 24 hours...that is about 48 hours too late in my opinion.

Hi BFG-Guy, McAfee & it seems some other suppliers of anti virus programmes made a big mistake & I'm very pleased that at least in the case of McAfee they have listened & have made attempts to rectify the problem.

I don't think making a mistake is the same as doing a bad job & to put things in perpective here there must be a reason why more than one anti virus company came up with an update that, as I see it, was designed to protect your PC but
ended up deleting and/or quaranteening perfectly safe programmes. The only reason that I can think of is that anti virus 'companies' have been alerted to similar files being used in malevolent programmes.

McAfee can't afford to do a bad job - they are the favored PC protection for many large corporate companies & local government.

I couldn't phone because of their office hours but I did send an E-mail to a branch of their organisation stating my dissatisfaction with them removing at least £200.00 worth of my games without my permission & that if it wasn't resolved I would be cancelling my subscription.

My point is they made a mistake that could cost them dearly - it's not the same as a bad job but would agree they could have responded quicker when it was obvious there was a problem. :smile12:
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/25/08 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: bermag45
Kaspersky Quote: RISKWARE - Hidden install. Program module C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BigFishGamesCache\Upgrade\stub\the-pini-society_s1_l1_gF2657T1L1_d387287152[1].exe installed and running without user interaction. This activity is similar to Trojan Download Dropper.

At least Kaspersky is giving you some indication of where it thinks the problem is. The Big Fish download manager is handling the installing of the games, and Kaspersky thinks that's similar behavior to Trojan Download Dropper. At least it isn't just deleting your games willy nilly. It's not such a big deal as with McAfee.

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/26/08 05:58 PM

I totally agree Jenny. However, who is to know how many users of Kaspersky are 'potential' customers of BFG and are then put off from downloading by such warnings? thumbsup wave

Bernie monky

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/26/08 07:21 PM

We are working with Kaspersky (and Bermag45) to resolve. Our version of Kaspersky does not have an issue but it is affecting some uses. Where we got 6,000 support issue on McAfee the first day, we have had only about 5 on Kaspersky...but that is 5 too many.

Posted By: NYLady

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 12/26/08 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: exalthim2
Well, since my last post evry game I bought has been deleted and I start my vacation tommorrow. Had high hopes of finishing the 5 games I had started. Now they're gone. (just venting cause I'm so darn mad mad)
I'll try to restore games from misa's post.

if a patch comes out do I need to do anything with it or is it automatically updated?

Thanks for listening thanks

Kim

Boy! I'm so glad that I dumped McAffee. After my computer crash, I had a hard time redownloading it because I lost the email with my number... so rather than go through a lot of trouble I just downloaded the free AVAST and guess what? It works great. I'm not going to spend anymore money on expensive programs. Avast and AVG work great.
Posted By: mel22odie

Re: Question on downloading games - McAffee Trojan Warning - 12/26/08 08:30 PM

All my BG games exe.'s were wiped out. Only useless squares were left on the desktop. In my case, I believe that I was downloading a demo from Arcade. Don 't know why all BF games were gone (and there were multi games). I restored my computer to an earlier date and so far everything is going smoothly. This is for the last 3 days. Mel22odie

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 01/02/09 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: misa

For all others, you do not need to redownload/reinstall your games. Follow these instructions:

1. Update
Open McAfee, click "Update" to ensure that you get the latest files. Wait until that's updated and installed.

2. Restore from Quarantine

Go back into McAfee, click "Advanced Menu" at the bottom left corner, then click on "Restore" on the left side, then "Files". Click on "Date" to sort by date and check all the files with a date of yesterday or today and then click "Restore".

Thank you misa - I've just got round to 'unquaranteening' my BF games - your info was very helpful! :newyear:

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 01/02/09 05:08 PM

You're welcome chrissie. smile

Re: Trojan notice from McAfee - 01/02/09 05:15 PM

thanks again Misa :waving:
© 2024 GameBoomers Community