GB HOMEPAGE

Where have the platformers gone?

Posted By: PMcOuntry

Where have the platformers gone? - 01/18/09 10:50 PM

Okay, it's been months since we've seen a good platformer game, last was Alex Gordon. Since then nothing, where have they gone?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Where have the platformers gone? - 01/19/09 12:23 AM

They just aren't as popular as the other casual genres I guess. They need sales and based upon what people are playing that I can see, it is more profitable to do other games.

Ana wave

Posted By: jldcat

Re: Where have the platformers gone? - 01/19/09 03:58 PM

I'm with you PMcOuntry, I love the platformers too. The last one I have seen was Azangara which was on Alawar. I wrote to bigfish about it but haven't seen it yet.
Posted By: Penny Lane

Re: Where have the platformers gone? - 01/20/09 02:08 PM

What is a platformer?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Where have the platformers gone? - 01/20/09 02:18 PM

Like the old Mario games where you scroll along into the next scene.

Ana wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Where have the platformers gone? - 01/20/09 02:20 PM

This is what Wiki states:

Platform game, or platformer, is a video game genre characterized by jumping to and from suspended platforms or over obstacles. It must be possible to control these jumps and to fall from platforms or miss jumps. The most common unifying element to these games is a jump button; other jump mechanics include swinging from extendable arms...

Games like Super Granny or SuperCow. hearts
Posted By: ScarletDragon

Re: Where have the platformers gone? - 01/20/09 05:52 PM

I still have nightmares about Pitfall Harry. Guess I'm not a platform game player.
Posted By: Bristol

Re: Where have the platformers gone? - 01/21/09 02:21 AM

I've got Turtle Odyssey 2 and can really recommend it. Big Fish has it too.
Posted By: Cynder

Re: Where have the platformers gone? - 01/22/09 04:30 AM

My husband enjoys both Turtle Odysseys, Bristol. He says they relax him when he wants something fairly mindless, I'm just not a platformer, but, then again, I love time management/simulation stuff, and he doesn't like those, so gamers have lots of different tastes! So many things to enjoy!
Posted By: PMcOuntry

Re: Where have the platformers gone? - 01/24/09 03:02 AM

I have both those plus alex gordon and scuba in aruba. I never heard of Azangara, I'll look it up.
Posted By: Lex

Re: Where have the platformers gone? - 01/24/09 12:09 PM

Someone I think on this site* mentioned Braid: I have just downloaded the demo on Xbox 360 and it looks very promising. wave

See H4XXORZ's thread below
© 2024 GameBoomers Community