GB HOMEPAGE

Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 02:07 PM

Todays game for Club Members , tomorrows game for all.

EDIT: Available to all for download Here.

Quote:
In Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars only you can help Mae read the stars and help her solve the mystery of her missing husband. Mae`s horoscope guides her through an epic journey after her husband is lost at sea. Do you have the sleuthing skills to uncover the truth and help her keep her family together?

Several mini-games
3D rendered objects
Heart warming story

As always, please remember to come back and tell us what you think.

Happy Gaming,
Ana wave
Posted By: dorish

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 03:10 PM

Just finished the demo. Some of the objects are really small. There are match 3 mini games and a sort of smaller version of Chinese chequers games. Also there is spot the differences and fill in the missing letters games.You earn money for finishing each level and you earn stars for doing the mini puzzles. These can be used to buy constellations to help you on your way. I only got to buy 1 constellation before the time ran out. There is no timer, and the hint system is good. after the 2nd level you can find 3 stars in each scene, as buying a constellation costs you stars as well as money. That's all I can think of. Hope I haven't confused everyone too much.
Posted By: ScarletDragon

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 03:11 PM

I'm starting the demo now. I shall return with my report in an hour.
Posted By: lilkim55

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 03:47 PM

Hi, I played part of the demo. I gave up. items are small. Found game rules confusing. There is nothing about the game that makes me want to go to the trouble. It maybe I'm over HO, except for the really outstanding ones. Lillian
Posted By: Marian

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 04:08 PM

There are some people on the Big Fish chat forums who are all stuck at the same point in the game, unable to progress, and believe they have encountered a glitch; one of them has written to BF about it. This may be a false alarm, but I am going to be watching this closely to determine what's up before I try out the game.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 05:27 PM

Thanks Guys. Marian, do let us know about the possible glitch wave

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 05:29 PM

I will, L4L! smile
Posted By: OP

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 06:49 PM

Didn't care too much for this HOG. As others noted, some of the items are VERY small. And I'm not a big fan of spot the differences or match three. I'm definitely passing on this one.
Posted By: NYLady

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 07:28 PM

I love the game but may not buy it because some of the items are too small for these old eyes. Even on my 23 inch screen I can't see them. I like everything else about the game. The variety, the vivid colors are all wonderful. Makes me wish the makers would have just made the objects a tiny bit bigger and they would have sold twice as many games. frown

For those of you with young eyes, you will enjoy it. I'm not a fan of spot the difference but because the pics were so bright and vivid, the differences were easy to spot. I also like the concept of finding the stars and the objects with the stars... makes the game more interesting. If only.... Oh well!

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 07:29 PM

An update on the glitch--apparently, it is an inability to click on an archer photo when you are on a boat. I am still monitoring the chat forum and not one person has posted so far saying that they have been able to get through this successfully. Hopefully BF will release an updated version of the game soon to fix this problem.

NYLady, I too like the use of color in this game; it's very pretty. I also like the fact that the game takes place in the Seattle area, the home of Big Fish. hearts
Posted By: BFG-Guy

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 11:29 PM

The archer problem only affects a minority of people and did not occur on any of our test lab machines, we will work with the developer to find the issue and get a fixed version in a day or two.
When it is done we will post here and you can simply redownload it.

BFG_Guy

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 11:37 PM

Yep, I'm one of the "minority of people" who got stuck. It's the picture on the wrecked ship. We've found every other object for that scene, but it won't recognize the items we've found and the button to proceed is frozen. What a bummer. BIL and I have spent the entire day working on this game only to reach a brick wall with the glitch. Of course, I've already bought the game since we're about 75% finished. <sigh> The items were indeed quite tiny at times so I brought in my backup player to help me search. Between the two of us, we've managed to find almost everything.

Since BFG is already aware of the problem, I guess I don't need to contact customer support.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 11:40 PM

Thanks BFG-Guy for the update! Much appreciated.

Ana wave

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 11:42 PM

Thank you, BFG-Guy! thumbsup

It seemed like everyone was having this problem, but I was forgetting the salient point that if someone played the game and did not have this problem, they would be happily playing away rather than posting about the problem. laugh wink

Just to be sure, I will wait to buy the updated version. smile

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 11:46 PM

Yep. We have sold thousands of units of this game today and have had a couple dozen complaints about the issue. Either it is fairly rare or others have not gotten that far yet.

You should always contact customer service if you ever have an issue like this with a purchased game, that way you are assured a personal response. They have been made aware of this issue and will give good advice.

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/01/09 11:50 PM

Thank you so much, and three cheers that the game is selling so well--you and Big Fish are THE BEST! wave bravo

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 12:31 AM

OK, I stand corrected. I'll fire off a note to customer support right now. I guess they need to know how many players are affected. We were playing through the game pretty quickly so I'm betting most players haven't reached that point in the game yet.
Posted By: Rachel D

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 03:19 AM

i found the game confusing and disorganized. Made no real sense to me..but hey..to each his own. I didnt finish the demo...and sure wont buy this one.

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 04:48 AM

Hey, guess what? Customer Support at Big Fish has a new program called Dr. Felix Big Fish Games Diagnostic Tool. You download it and it runs the diagnostic for you. Then you just attach the zip file with the results to the e-mail reply and they get all the information they need. Is that cool or what? No more running dxdiag myself. Way to go BFG - anything that makes my life easier is good.

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: ScarletDragon
Hey, guess what? Customer Support at Big Fish has a new program called Dr. Felix Big Fish Games Diagnostic Tool. You download it and it runs the diagnostic for you. Then you just attach the zip file with the results to the e-mail reply and they get all the information they need. Is that cool or what? No more running dxdiag myself. Way to go BFG - anything that makes my life easier is good.

Very nice! What did you think of the game, up to the point where you got stymied and could not continue?

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 06:27 AM

Just to keep you up to date if you have the "archer issue".

We just got a new version from the developer (It is Sunday night kudos to Brand X, the Developer) and they think they fixed the issue. Our testers will verify it passes QA and get it live mid-morning Monday PST.

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: BFG-Guy
Just to keep you up to date if you have the "archer issue".

We just got a new version from the developer (It is Sunday night kudos to Brand X, the Developer) and they think they fixed the issue. Our testers will verify it passes QA and get it live mid-morning Monday PST.

Outstanding! thumbsup I'll be purchasing it tomorrow, hopefully. happydance
Posted By: cmcd

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 07:43 AM

My problem with this game is if I leave it when I come back I must start at the beginning.
Posted By: BellaRosa

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 11:03 AM

I played the demo yesterday and my first impression was this game was not for me. I am wondering now if I was hasty and after Serpent of Isis (brilliant game) a bit judgemental.

I guess I cannot do the demo again so will wait for more feedback before I consider buying this smile
Posted By: Teddo

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 01:31 PM

I, too, just finished Serpent of Isis. I think I'm definitely stuck on IHOGs. The objects in this demo are way too small for these eyes. Don't think I'll buy it. Teddo
Posted By: Sly One

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 02:23 PM

I like this game and will definitely be buying it once the fix is in place. I don't find the items that difficult, no more than some other games and it's different. I like everyone else am definitely hooked on the IHOGs, but they don't come around as often, so this is really a nice game to fill in the time. Thanks BFG-Guy.
Barbara

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 02:58 PM

Marion, I liked the game enough that I was annoyed when I had to take a break to go to the grocery store and fix lunch. lol

The basic storyline is interesting but the dialogue is weak. I liked the minigames for a change of pace. I'm not really fond of "find the differences" and there seem to be quite a few of them in this game. The hidden objects are often extremely tiny but for me, that just makes the game more challenging. You don't have to find everything to proceed and there are ample hints.

When the demo time ran out and I bought the game, I had to restart from the beginning. After that I could quit the game after a level was complete and the game would resume from where I left. However I didn't see a "change player" option. Apparently only one person can play at a time.

Final verdict: Definitely not AWESOME or OUTSTANDING, maybe not even GREAT, but somewhere in the shady area between GREAT and GOOD. Any game that registers as high as GOOD on my quality meter warrants spending a game credit.

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ScarletDragon
Marion, I liked the game enough that I was annoyed when I had to take a break to go to the grocery store and fix lunch. lol

Hey, that's important information that should be included in all game analyses! laugh

I only played the first hour of the demo, but "good" is how I would have rated the game, as well. And, like you, "good" warrants a game credit.

It seems to me that the developers were trying to do something a little bit different here, and I give them kudos for that. I also thought that the "spot the differences," although not one of my favorites, were easier to see and more well defined than in some of the games that I have played. I also liked the word puzzles--give me a word puzzle mini-game over a mechanical puzzle any day, as I find those more enjoyable. And, even though some of the objects were hard to see, that is the case in most of the HOGS that I have played, and I found the use of color in this game much easier on my eyes overall.

So, time to sit back and wait for the release of the patched version...

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/02/09 09:36 PM

The patched version was pushed live on BFG an hour ago. Just uninstall/download/reinstall and you are good to go. It will even save your progress in the game (i.e. you do not have to start over).

Posted By: BellaRosa

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 03/03/09 11:05 AM

Ok i bought the game and enjoying it however there are still some things that make this not the perfect game that Serpent of Isis is (well to me anyway).

I am not sure how far I am through this game - but I have noticed some discrepanices such as with those Horoscope - fill in the word games- the letters sometimes fill up for the other words and sometimes they stay blank.

Still unsure what buying the horoscope thingos give me as an advantage - I will play it through then play again and perhaps then understand that part a bit better.

I like how the game is bright and the graphics clear but some items are a bit cartoony and hard to guess- no big deal - will learn playing again what they actually are meant to be- just one example sushi is nothing I imagine sushi to look like and some of the items you look for I have never heard of such as california cream or something like that! LOL

Oh well its all about learning I guess and this seems to me to be a good game - the story so far is interesting- graphics nice and bright- despite cryptic objects - and I think it is overall worth buying.

Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Mae Q`West and the Sign of the Stars - New HOG on BigFish - 04/19/09 08:28 PM

Has anyone finished this game and bought all the constellations?
I think there's supposed to be some sort of surprise bonus if you get all the constellations, and I'm wondering if it's worth replaying for the bonus.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community