GB HOMEPAGE

The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/21/11 03:02 PM

You can download The Stroke of Midnight here.

Quote:
With her deadline looming, a romance author escapes to Eastern Europe with the hope that a trip to Transylvania can provide the inspiration she needs to rewrite her latest book. But soon her discovery of a Victorian-era love triangle provides much more than a new storyline: it provides an entire novel’s worth! Reunite the long lost lovers in the afterlife in The Stroke of Midnight, a fun Hidden Object game.

Incredible gameplay
Exciting storyline
Reunite haunted lovers!
Check out our Blog Walkthrough
Get the Strategy Guide !

As always, please remember to come back and tell us what you think.

Happy Gaming,
Ana wave
Posted By: Sparkle

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/21/11 03:43 PM

It's been feast or famine with BFG lately. This looks like another great game.
Forgive me if the question has been answered before, but why would someone purchase a Strategy Guide when a Walkthrough is available?

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/21/11 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Sparkle
It's been feast or famine with BFG lately. This looks like another great game.
Forgive me if the question has been answered before, but why would someone purchase a Strategy Guide when a Walkthrough is available?

The pictures are larger, the layout is different and they have unused credits. duh

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/21/11 04:17 PM

I just played this for a few minutes and I like it. When I saw "Nikitova Games," I already had a good vibe, as that is the same folks who did Deadtime Stories. smile

Margie B posted on the Big Fish forums an excellent overview of how the hint system works in this game, and I think it would be worthwhile to share this information here.

Quote:
* Hints are unlimited and recharge automatically in the Hidden Object Scenes.

* The list items for Hidden Object scenes can be found in various parts of the scene: the top, the bottom, on a wall, etc.

* To use a Hint in a Hidden Object scene, click on the list item to view its location (E). The game shows a small circle around a part of the item.

* Clicking randomly in a search scene will cause your cursor to move around wildly.

* The Hint system in this game comes in stages. You can read messages in mirrors, waterfalls, walls, and so on, regarding your next task.

* Zoom into those messages to learn hints about what to do next. Click on the zoom-in message once more to get exact details of what to do next.

* The Hand Icon allows you to pick up Inventory Items.

* This game does not have an inventory tray. Inventory items can be used as soon as you pick them up.

* You can right-click on an inventory item to drop it back where you found it in most cases.

* To use an inventory item, click it onto the area in which you see the cursor flash red.

* Your cursor will glow red when it hovers over an important item in any scene; click on the item to read an important clue.

* You can skip puzzles once the “Skip Puzzle” icon appears in the lower right corner.

* The Diary can be located in different parts of any scene. Open it to read parts of the story and receive clues for some of the puzzles.

wave
Posted By: GBC

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/21/11 05:20 PM

Thanks Ana, thanks Marian, this is a super game! I didn't even play more than ten minutes before I decided to buy it. Woo Hoo! A little different than the ordinary IHog and I'm really enjoying it. Nice story and creepy music too. thumbsup
Posted By: kjos

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/21/11 09:12 PM

Playing the demo,it sure is a different HOG. Never played a game quite like this one. I like it I guess. The hint system is different,it allways stays active, when you click in a item it shows you where it is,no waiting at all. If you don't like HO than this is the game for you. It's different all right.
Richard
Posted By: Kate Anne

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/21/11 09:49 PM

I am enjoying this game. At first I did not think I would like using the items in the same scene, but I was pleasantly surprised that I did have to think where to place most of the items. When the demo ended I had completed about 1/4 of the game (only used the walk through to see how far I had gotten). IMHO it is a great game. It ran beautifully on my computer.
Posted By: cailyn

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/21/11 09:49 PM

I'm enjoying it also,Hi Sparkle I've been wondering that myself???? wave
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/21/11 11:02 PM

Could only play for about 10 minutes, dreadful motion sickness..not one for me then... sick
Posted By: Koalanut

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 12:53 AM

Quite a different type of game. I am so thankful that Margie posted the hints. I read those first and it helped me figure out the gameplay. I really like the hints on the hidden object part, cause those always slow me way down. The mirror hints was really a unique way of helping. There is movement to the game, some sorta fast. In fact the first hallway was whhhooooshhhh, like the "El" in Chicago, hang on! It didn't bother me, but it might bother some. This one is on my "to buy" list, probably won't wait long! (is tonight waiting to buy? lol )

Koalanut
Posted By: traveler

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 01:12 AM

Who writes these things? They're asking an awful lot of 'suspension of disbelief' if they seriously want me to accept that a young woman would travel halfway across the world and head off alone to spend the night in a castle in rural Romania, not even blink when it turns out to be uninhabited, in ruins and covered with cobwebs and instead of leaving as fast as her little legs will carry her, find a way to cross a huge hole to the only navigable stairway, then lie down and peacefully go to sleep after murmuring that her creativity is coming back to her. (How was that for a run-on sentence?)

The game mechanics look interesting but the story? Honestly, they'll have to do better than this if they want me to last more than ten minutes in a game.

Back to wrestling with a game that, so far, has an interesting and credible story line,

Gil.
Posted By: Koalanut

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 01:16 AM

Lol traveler! I thought exactly the same thing as your spoiler. But like any book, movie or game, I just go with the flow and see what happens lol

Koalanut thumbsup

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 01:46 AM

I might have just gone with the flow, too, Koalanut, if it weren't for thinking that these guys believe we'll play anything if they just give us pretty graphics and puzzles with a skip button. I've noticed that they even use the same music in some games and for sure, they use the same story line (such as it is) in game after game. (Didn't we just have one about a woman author laying the spirits of lovers to rest?) Just a sentence or two to let us know that this was an intrepid gal who tames alligators for fun and doesn't mind roughing it in tumbled-down ruins would at least have made her decision to bed down there easier to swallow!

I know, I'm hard to please. Sigh.

Gil.
Posted By: Cappy

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 12:02 PM

And, Gil, her HUSBAND sent her there! Now, if my husband made reservations for me to stay in such a run-down place, we'd be "having words" and the storyline would not only be vastly different, but there would be "Murder" in the game's title. lol
Posted By: thracia

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 12:19 PM

lolCappy

thracia
Posted By: bermag45

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 01:45 PM

.....and I just cannot wait until someone comes up with the idea of sending a grand-daughter to search for her grandfather who has mysteriously disappeared through a mirror, a time warp or an old beaten-up wardrobe! crazy wave

Bernie monky

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 02:44 PM

"And, Gil, her HUSBAND sent her there!"

Rofl! How could I have missed that?! Cappy, you started my day with a big laugh!

Gil.
Posted By: PATSY

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 03:25 PM

where is the english?I can't get in the front door or find the menu to exit.

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 03:30 PM

?? What do you mean, where is the English? Is your version in another language? Where did you download from?

Ana wave
Posted By: MrLipid

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 06:41 PM

PATSY may be having the experience I had. If the resources don't extract properly when the game is loaded, there are many pieces of the game missing. Like, say, menu buttons. What's left are the file structure tags <ui/front_door/lock/closed_position> or, better yet, a string of copy that includes "reactives".

Sadly, reports from the BFG forums suggest that once the game fails to load properly the first time, it will not load properly -- nor can it be uninstalled and reinstalled to fix the problem -- from that point on.

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 06:42 PM

I downloaded from here when you announced it I think I'm losing it or already lost it. It sounds like everyone is having a good time but me. LOL

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 06:47 PM

Everyone but you and me, PATSY. wink

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/22/11 07:28 PM

You're right, mr;ipid i tried to install again and got the same mish mosh.

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 04:09 AM

I've been playing around with (not playing) The Stroke of Midnight this weekend. Have decided to subject myself to BFG Customer Service and see what they say. I am not expecting much which means if they come up with anything I'll be pleasantly surprised. smile
Posted By: Cappy

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 11:54 AM

Then be prepared for a very pleasant surprise, MrLipid. BFG's customer service is head and shoulders above any others!

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 02:37 PM

Actually, I have found the answer this morning on the BFG boards. And here it is.

"I had the same issue, because I accidentally pressed a key on first start,
when there was an "unpacking resources" window popping up.
Any uninstall/re-install didnt help.
I found that half-unpacked data in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Namco\Stroke Of Midnight
After removing that directory and reinstalling the game it worked.
Hope this helps"

And it did indeed. The game actually runs now. Had to download resource.pak from an alternative site, but all's well that ends well, right? wink

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 03:24 PM

Thanks for posting that solution, MrLipid. Good to get to the bottom of this conundrum. smile
Posted By: Rosaboobie

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 03:32 PM

What is it with this "unpacking" system with this game? I have never seen this before, or maybe just never noticed it before. grin

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Rosaboobie
What is it with this "unpacking" system with this game? I have never seen this before, or maybe just never noticed it before. grin

This is a layman's explanation wink --but basically it means that when you download the game, some of the files have been compressed, and then the game "unpacks" them after you have downloaded and returns the files to their original (uncompressed) state. This makes the download size of the game smaller than it would have been if the files had not been compressed beforehand.

I have had files unpack on a couple of BF games before; I believe one of them was Buried in Time--by the same developers as Stroke of Midnight. wave

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 03:46 PM

One more thing. The resource.pak file when unpacked to the resource.dat file takes up the better part of a gig: 933MB. That, coupled with the other game files, brings the total to 950MB.

BFG claims the whole game takes up 374MB.
Posted By: Rosaboobie

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 04:07 PM

Wow - no wonder they packed it - This must be the largest casual game download ever??

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 04:13 PM

Or the most surprising. You download 169MB and it turns into 950MB. Sort of like a clown car for files. laugh
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 04:37 PM

I've got 2 minutes of demo time left myself.

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 04:43 PM

Have you been playing or troubleshooting?

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 05:52 PM

Playing. It unpacked just fine.

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/24/11 06:00 PM

That's good news. Enjoying it? smile

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/25/11 01:35 AM

mrlipid, I couldn't find it on mine

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/25/11 02:22 AM

Couldn't find what, PATSY? resources.dat? resource.pak? Are you running XP or Vista?

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/25/11 03:33 AM

Yeah, have to buy it.

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/25/11 03:54 AM

I finally had a chance to play it and, since I had a credit handy, bought it. smile

I'm actually more interested in it for the step it represents away from rooms full of junk and complicated locks. Hidden object games haven't exactly been filled with visceral thrills. Will this be a first step or a dead end? For now, it's a hoot!
Posted By: lazydaisy

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/25/11 07:24 AM

Hope you like it and find it fun, MrLipid.
I played the demo and thought it was great. I consider it a great introduction into point and click "old-style" or "pure" adventure games. Loved the graphics and the game play. The only thing I didn't like was the way it went to the title screen for transitions -- thought it could have been done better.

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/25/11 01:05 PM

Running xp. couldn't find data pak or resources

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/25/11 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: PATSY
Running xp. couldn't find data pak or resources

Look in the directory where you keep your Big Fish games. It's listed in the Game Manager under the Options tab on the bottom.

Once you find the directory, go to The Stroke of Midnight folder and look inside. If you've reinstalled The Stroke of Midnight, you've probably got a resources.pak in your Stroke of Midnight directory.

Here's where to find resources.dat.

It can be found in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Namco\The Stroke of Midnight in XP.

If resources.dat is still on your system when you try to reinstall, the resources.pak file will not extract anything and nothing will happen. I know. Did it myself many times.

So here is what you need to do to get rid of the old resources.dat.

Uninstall your current copy of The Stroke of Midnight.

In XP, go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Namco\The Stroke of Midnight.

There is only one file in The Stroke of Midnight folder: resources.dat.

DELETE resources.dat. (If this seems too extreme, rename it something like resources.org or resources.old.)

Download and reinstall The Stroke of Midnight. Once it has installed, click Play Now. You should see the green "extracting resources" bar.

If there are no errors while extracting, you should be good to go.

This is not a guarantee that the game will work properly. However, if you have had a failed install, you MUST DELETE resources.dat to have any hope of a successful reinstall.
Posted By: Laurette

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/26/11 11:06 PM

Just for the heck of it (my 2 cents). I bought this game, after looking at the blog walkthrough. It appeared to be a very long game; however, I found it to be very short. Enjoyable, but way too short.
Posted By: JennyP

Stroke of Midnight - is there a bug ? - 01/29/11 03:32 PM

I have gathered peppermint, camomile & rosehips in Chapter 10 and nothing is happening..
Help
Peeked at the walkthrough and apparently a ghost is supposed to appear & lead me off to the right. Nothing is happening.
Helpity help

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/29/11 03:41 PM

JennyP, I haven't played the game, but until someone else comes along who can provide better help, maybe the following is worth a try.

A quick look at the Big Fish forums reveals some other folks having had the same problem. Apparently if you don't collect the ingredients in the right order, the game may not cooperate.

One person said the following:

Click to reveal..
I had problems also. I went back into the game under a different name and it worked. You have to get the mint by doing the hidden object scene, get the rosehips, then the chamomile flowers in that order - and then there is a ghost to let you into the dining room.

Let us know how you get on. I'm hoping there's a better solution than this. confused wave
Posted By: JennyP

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/29/11 04:59 PM

Oh dear - I collected the ingredients in that order & nothing happened - does this mean I have to start the game anew ???

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 01/29/11 05:10 PM

I have no idea, unfortunately. Let's wait and see if someone who has actually played the game can offer some insight. If you did everything in that order, then I don't have a clue as to why you are having this problem. Maybe it's something simple? confused

wave
Posted By: fildil

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 03/01/11 09:42 PM

Has anyone figured out how to make the ghost appear after you've gathered the herbs near the end of the game? I've asked on the GBs
forums, but nobody has an answer.

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 03/01/11 09:53 PM

fil, see the posts above yours. Apparently it;s an issue in the game.

Ana luck
Posted By: smitty145

Re: The Stroke of Midnight - New IHOG on BigFish - 05/05/11 04:15 PM

I just came across this game.....better late than never. It's beautiful and very deferent from any other IHOG I've played. I'm in the middle and had it freeze on me a number of times but I'm still determined to enjoy and finish. I found that if I clicked too fast (not referring to HO scenes) that it would freeze. So I'm taking my time, moving forward and thoroughly enjoying it. smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community