GB HOMEPAGE

big fish game manager

Posted By: family

big fish game manager - 07/28/11 12:29 PM

when i installed a game my game manager for big fish looks different.
Posted By: Sherlock

Re: big fish game manager - 07/28/11 12:33 PM

Periodically, BF updates their game manager. But this time, there is quite a change in the look of it. Not sure what I think yet. It's quite a bit larger than normal. wink

Re: big fish game manager - 07/28/11 12:51 PM

i notice it when i was installing some games,
Posted By: gamenut

Re: big fish game manager - 07/28/11 02:12 PM

Decided to do trial of The Lost City: Chpt 1 and the new Manager installed with it...not too well impressed with this new one. For Goodness Sake--keep it Simple! don't need all the stuff on the left side..get that info from the game site...One thing I wish BF would do is let us move games we've played to a new area (remove from main games we have list) and also instead of sending all those 'trial' cd's when we order a game backup cd give us the option to NOT get that extra trial cd. would probably save them a lot of $$'s. I don't need a rehash of info that is already on the site! Hope there are no glitches with this new Manager. Use mobile usb connection (not so fast to begin with) and allowed 5G a month--so if I have to re-download anything that's taken out of my Gig allowance! Usually if I am really interested in a CE of a game I order the backup so don't have to use the download time.
Posted By: Rosaboobie

Re: big fish game manager - 07/28/11 05:36 PM

It's a bit large and "in your face" but I guess we will get used to it eventually!
Posted By: traveler

Re: big fish game manager - 07/28/11 05:41 PM

Large is right. <g> Your very own BFG browser that goes nowhere but BFG.

Gil.
Posted By: Adorable

Re: big fish game manager - 07/28/11 10:47 PM

I haven't investigated it thoroughly yet, but one thing I have found so far is that if I want to bring up a wt from the blog area it's more confusing than it used to be. Maybe I haven't looked at it thoroughly or not, I didn't care for the new way. I'm all for simple, not filling the whole screen with my games. The other way was much more compact.
Posted By: Marian

Re: big fish game manager - 07/28/11 10:48 PM

You can resize the new game manager to make it a little smaller, but even after doing that it's still quite large. smile
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: big fish game manager - 07/28/11 11:39 PM

I happen to like it alot....Everything is at your touch on the left side...

I feel its very organized..You will get used to it...

"Out With Old" On With The New........ grin

Re: big fish game manager - 07/28/11 11:48 PM

Well, it's a little too organized for someone who never keeps a BFG game once she's played it.

And just a little whine? I wish they'd stop putting a 'more games' icon on my desktop! Sure I could say something but I seriously doubt they'll pay attention.

Gil.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: big fish game manager - 07/28/11 11:54 PM

I delete all icons from my desktop. I have one folder I tuck a few in and the rest get deleted.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/29/11 12:59 AM

I love icons. They row up and down the sides of my desktop, fast links to the most important things I have on my computer, games and graphics programs and whatnot. I just don't like their icon and I get darned tired of deleting it every time I dl anything from BFG. I could change it, I suppose, to one of the popo_emotions blacy's such as bad egg. <g> There's a thought.

Gil.
Posted By: flutist

Re: big fish game manager - 07/29/11 01:44 PM

I just downloaded the new tool bar. Anyone know if it will work with IE 9?

Re: big fish game manager - 07/29/11 01:56 PM

According to a post by a moderator on the Big Fish forums yesterday:

Quote:
I just wanted to post an update that the Toolbar update advertised in the Game Manager is compatible with the latest browsers.

If you reinstall your toolbar you should no longer experience any issues.

Sounds like it should work with IE 9 now. wave
Posted By: widget

Re: big fish game manager - 07/29/11 03:36 PM

Wish I could get it, am still having awful trouble with BF, cannot download any games or the new Game Manager, am waiting to hear from them,
have had browser problems and have not played games for nearly a week :-(((

Re: big fish game manager - 07/29/11 03:46 PM

That's awful, widget. I hope things get sorted very soon. frown

Re: big fish game manager - 07/29/11 05:19 PM

Well, at this point, I really don't care what the game manager looks like. I have noticed that my games are downloading much faster than they were and that's what matters to me! happydance

Re: big fish game manager - 07/29/11 05:27 PM

That's great, Sherlock. I haven't noticed my games downloading faster but I also haven't noticed any slowdown, so it's all good for me. yes
Posted By: spankie

Re: big fish game manager - 07/29/11 10:30 PM

Well, I don't like the new game manager!
Have been playing my games just fine all afternoon till I downloaded a new game. Now, none of my game will play becuase the new game manager says there is a game already running, but there isn't.
I checked at BF for the error 809, it says to close all programs, reboot and try again. Which I've done 3 times. Still no game starts to play. Has anyone else had this problem? And, how can I get my old game manager back?
Thanks, mad

Update:
I uninstalled then reinstalled the game manager. Now I'm able to play my games. Seems my virus software didn't allow the install correctly. Also, think I have to agree with others ideas about the new look. One thing that is bugging me, is the recommendations list which is annoying.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/29/11 11:15 PM

Whew! I'm glad you are able to play your games again. wave
Posted By: puzzler46

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 12:45 AM

I don't like to be negative, but the new game manager may keep me from buying as many games from Big Fish as I have to install them in a secondary hard drive and had the manager in that drive too until this one installed. It allows me to chose where to install games but I have to redo that choice each time I open the manager. It is also too big and my downloads were really slow (I have a really fast internet connection) and the old manager was much faster. eek
I hope they revisit this new manager and give us the option of returning to the old or fix this new one.
End of rant _ sorry blush
Kathy
happydance

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 12:33 PM

Got my Game Manager back [had browser problems]
and it is not the 'new' one,
Posted By: Sparkle

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 02:32 PM

I'm not thrilled either with the new game manager. But I imagine it's a matter of getting used to it. When you get used to doing something a certain way, it becomes automatic. Changes make you have to stop and think a bit. Probably good practice for those of us who are "of a certain age". lol

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 03:23 PM

Agree with you all, new game manger is way to cumbersome. I don't use it to open my games, only use the game icon on my desktop.

Alert Note: XPTotal Security

Yesterday I downloaded Midnight Mysteries 3 and along with it the new game manager which was automatic. My virus software alerted me that a virus/spyware called "SPTotal Security" was detected and did I want to remove it which I did. After that the new game manager wouldn't play any of my games. I did a lot of trouble shooting by uninstalling the new game manager, reinstalling the game manger (this time with the virus software turned off). Then tried playing my games and it worked. However, when I opened my virus software it still detected the "SPTotal Security" virus/spyware which I removed.

Consequently, Midnight Mysteries 3 would not open so I can't play it. I've unstalled it and sent an email to BF telling them of this issue. I'm hoping to get a refund for this game.

Has anyone else had that problem with Midnight Mysteries 3 and/or the XPTotal Security being detected at BF while downloading games?

Hopes this info helps anyone else.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 03:40 PM

I downloaded Midnight Mysteries 3 ,and played it.... Had no problems with a spyware detection from my virus program...I even did a full virus scan <Nothing>

duh

You might want to read this article about what is poping up on your computer.. Read

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 03:56 PM

Thanks for the info, Darleen. I had done some checking on my own about that software.

But I still can't get Midnight Mysteries 3 to open and play. When I click on "Play" through the new game manager, nothing happens. If I select it or any other game to play, I get an error message about a game is already running when there isn't one. Even checking in the Task Manager, nothing else is running. The only way to clear this is to reboot the computer.

Maybe I'll try it again later to download another one of my purchased games.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 04:03 PM

I didn't have any trouble with the third Midnight Mysteries either. I have seen other folks from time to time on the BF forums describe what you are experiencing, but I don't know the solution.
Posted By: lexxy

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 05:14 PM

Spankie,
I know of what you speak because I have had the same thing happen with Midnight Mystery3. I so wanted to play the game but have had to accept another game. I am sorry that you are having problems but I am gald to see that I have not gone insane. I have accepted the fact that I will not be able to play the game.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 05:26 PM

spankie: There were a lot of people who had problems with the Midnight Mysteries 3 game, including myself. It likely is not related to the new Game Manager since I and others who had technical problems downloaded the game several weeks before the new Game Manager was introduced.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 05:47 PM

Thanks Carol and Sparkle,
I had come to the same conclusion about the new game manager not being the problem because it will work with my other games. I even downloaded a different game and it works with that one also.

As for Midnight Mysteries 3, guess I won't be playing that game. I did check BF forum, seems many others had the same problems. I'm not going through all the effort to detect any problems on my computer as some did and it still wouldn't play. I just want a refund and be done with trying to play that game. It's the first game that has presented any problems in the many I've downloaded and played.
Posted By: Jeanne

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 05:48 PM

I have the same problem as you, Spankie. I believe many others have as well if you read the BF forums. Since I really wanted to play Midnight Mysteries 3, I contacted CS along with doing a Dr. Felix report. Their only suggestion was to uninstall and reinstall the GM. Now this was with the OLD GM. Since I wasn't in the mood to fuss with the GM, I decided to wait until BF gave me a "new" one.

When I tried to dl MM3 after getting this new GM, I still get the same messages and it won't run. Must be something about the configuration of my (and many others) machine that this game doesn't like. Shame, because I really had enjoyed the previous Midnight Mysteries and really wanted to play this new one.

If you find a way to overcome this problem I would love to know!
Jeanne

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 07:53 PM

spankie: Be sure to let BFG know about the problem and ask for a credit. After trying everything that tech support could come up with, that's what I ended up doing. Don't be too disappointed. There are still plenty of great new games to play. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 07/30/11 08:00 PM

I don't know what to think now because not only will it not play Mystery3 but now any other game that I play is getting the same error message809 and advises me to reboot because there is another game playing and of course it is not. I have Lost Horizon on the hard drive so I will get back to it and forget about HOG for this week end.
Posted By: Cynder

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 01:19 AM

Whether the new manager works flawlessly or needs tweaking, it's still just awful in my opinion. It's big, cumbersome, "overfeatured" (yes, I know that's not a word, but it's so appropriate for this. It's like the loud unwelcome guest at a party of friends who insists on yelling across the room.

I never run my games from the manager either, and I have my icons neatly organized. Thank heaven for that, as I simply could not stand this thing constantly in my face! frown

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 02:16 AM

Ok...Now I am very upset....The Old manager recognized that I had purchased the game...Which I could play anytime I wanted...I just downloaded ...Mystery Case Files ®: Dire Grove ...Which I payed for months ago...It says I have to buy...Which I shouldn't have to buy anything....I bought it already....I am UPSET about this.....I hope BFG comes here to straighten this out...

Thank You

Just got it straighten out....You have to click buy...The a window comes up already activated...

Sorry for any confusion....

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Darleen03
.....I hope BFG comes here to straighten this out...

Please remember that while you can vent here, BF has no responsibilty to come here to address any issues. Please post on BigFish forums or contact their customer support if you want them to hear you.

Ana thanks

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 02:36 AM

Thanks, Ana

I understand what you are saying....But, If we have a problem..And don't go to BF site...Some of us don't belong to BF site ...We just post here. BFG ...Comes here all the time.... duh

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 02:40 AM

No Darleen, he hasn't been on here in months and is not even posting on BF forums anymore so he can spend his time with his growing family as well as tend to his work. You do not need to post on their forums but the way to get heard by them is to contact the customer support and voice your concerns.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 02:43 AM

Oh....Thanks ,Ana

I understand now....No Problem...We all have family things to deal with...

BFG.. <HUGS>
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: lexxy
I don't know what to think now because not only will it not play Mystery3 but now any other game that I play is getting the same error message809 and advises me to reboot because there is another game playing and of course it is not. I have Lost Horizon on the hard drive so I will get back to it and forget about HOG for this week end.

Even if the Big Fish Game Manager no longer works for you, you should be able to play the games you've already installed and activated by running them directly from the game exe. You may need to enable viewing of hidden files to see the game exe in the game folder. But once you find it, you can make a shortcut to it to put on your desktop.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 05:36 AM

Ana makes a wonderful point. To properly voice our concerns, we need to go to the source.

There are a full 19 pages on the forum already about the manager and its issues. Search "Game Manager 3.0" in the forums.

In addition to posting there, a direct "contact Us" letter would also let them know that this may well be a misfire, or a t least that customers would value a choice. I've worked for several online sites as an admin, and I know that one actual letter is seen as more than one voice because of those who feel the same way but never voice their feelings.

It's certainly worth a try. I sent mine in a few minutes ago.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 03:03 PM

Love all the input about the game manager. Still agree that it's way to cumbersome with needless extras.
I also contacted them by email first about a credit for Midnight Mysteries 3 before posting here. Still haven't heard back about a solution.
Thanks everyone wink

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 03:40 PM

spankie: E-mail response from BFG usually takes a couple of days, especially over a weekend. And with the questions and concerns about the new Game Manager, I'd imagine they're extra busy.
Posted By: Flo NS

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 07:19 PM

Has anyone noticed that they have to sign in everytime you visit BF, even tho the "keep me signed in" is flagged.

Ever since the new manager, this is what I have to do.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 07:26 PM

I haven't had that problem, Flo. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 07:28 PM

Hmmm. If it was happening with other stuff, I'd think it was my settings, but it's just with BF, so I guess I'll have to notify them.

Thanks Marian
Posted By: smitty145

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 07:28 PM

My BFG Manager and BF Toolbar are updated and I'm a happy camper. As long as I have great access to GB and BFG I'm happy. happydance

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 07:32 PM

That's the spirit. lol Sometimes we need to over look the journey and appreciate the destination. grin
Posted By: Cherie

Re: big fish game manager - 07/31/11 10:52 PM

I can agree with all of you that the new Game Manager is a pain in the neck, I questioned it with BFG and got a response. They are working as quickly as they can to make some adjustments needed on it.

I later discovered that there is an options section in which you can set some personal preferances, which was quite helpful for me.

I still don't care for it but it did improve for me when I used the options. Give it a try and see if it helps.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/01/11 02:03 AM

I've also made it slightly better using the options, but there's no getting around the fact it's a HUGE resource hog. I have Windows 7, lots of available memory, and a dual processor, and trying to download even the trial for a game is ludicrous.

I could wash all my pets, go to Curves for a workout, and come back to find it still not ready to go. It also slows down everything else on my computer. For those with slower systems, it must be torturous.

I agree with Ana that we can sometimes ignore a rough trip for a pleasant destination, but, in this case the destination is a laggy, impaired, and overburdened computer.

Hopefully, BFG will make adjustments soon!!

Re: big fish game manager - 08/01/11 02:33 AM

It would appear that once again problems or the lack thereof vary from system to system, as I have had no problems with downloading with the new Game Manager, nor any other kind of problems with it at all.

I'm sure there will be updates pretty soon to address issues folks are having with it. wave
Posted By: Homer6

Re: big fish game manager - 08/01/11 02:46 AM

Sometimes downloading problems aren't associated with the computer. Sometimes it's all the connections between computer and downloading site.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/01/11 02:54 AM

Good point, Homer. smile
Posted By: MrLipid

Re: big fish game manager - 08/02/11 12:27 PM

The consensus on the BFG boards (there have been startlingly few moderator comments) is that the new Game Manager works best on systems with IE 9 installed.

That would be patched Vista installs and Win 7 installs. Also works well on Mac installs. The Mac version doesn't require IE 9 because there hasn't been a Mac version of IE for some time.

Unfortunately, IE 9 is not available for any flavor of XP which means in order for the Game Manager to work properly on XP, the Game Manager is going to have to be rebuilt.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/02/11 01:12 PM

MrLipid,
I agree with your assesement of the situation completely.I am runnimng WXP and because of this download manager problem I have not played any HOG in over a week and I am afraid that if the problem is not fixed I will have to stop playing HOG forever and that will be sad.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/02/11 01:16 PM

Well, I'm going to break the mold here; I'm running Windows XP and IE 8, with no problems whatsoever. wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/02/11 01:20 PM

Which version of XP? I'm running XP Pro SP3 and IE 8.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/02/11 01:26 PM

Win XP Home SP3. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/02/11 01:30 PM

Home is considerably more forgiving than Pro. Many games that run beautifully in Home will not even start in Pro.

Wonder if this also applies to Game Managers?

UPDATE: One response on BFG suggests that XP Home and IE 8 (on a laptop) doesn't work.

Looks like another bug hunt....

Re: big fish game manager - 08/02/11 03:20 PM

My computer is XP pro SP3 and the game manager works but each time I download a game, my virus software pops up with a warning of spyware detection for "XPTotalSecurity".

Would be nice if BFG offered the other version for the ones that are having problems and/or just don't like all the extras/cumbersome/huge new game manager. You know the old saying, "if it's not broken, don't fix it"? lol

Re: big fish game manager - 08/02/11 03:36 PM

I know the old saying. Just not sure BFG does. laugh

UPDATE: Just learned XP Pro SP3 w/IE 8 does not work with Game Manager 3.0.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 03:35 PM

Have received an email from BFG about the game manager. They are aware of the issues and are working on a solution. Still working on getting a refund for Midnight Mysteries 3 as they didn't mention that in their email.
Quote:
UPDATE: Just learned XP Pro SP3 w/IE 8 does not work with Game Manager 3.0

Also, I have XP Pro SP3 W/IE 8, seems to work for me. I just don't like the cumbersome and resource hog the game manager takes up when it really isn't necessary to play their games. crazy

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 05:02 PM

If you create a link to the exe of the individual game, you can run it without the Game Manager starting up. It's kind of a nuisance, but it would be a workaround if your problem is that the Game Manager running in the background is taking up so many resources that the game won't play well. You may need to set your computer to display hidden files in order to see the exe files for individual games.

Has anyone tried it with XP SP2?

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 05:40 PM

Home or Pro?

Like so many glitches, there is no clear answer. Best advice is "fully patched" which would imply SP3.
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 06:00 PM

I run XP Pro with SP3 IE 8 and have had no problems at all with the new game manager. I actually like it better than the previous version. I must be one of the acceptions to the rule.

Cathy duh

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 06:10 PM

Like I wrote, "No clear answer." There must be something OTHER than XP Pro and SP3 that is causing the Game Manager to work...or not. I think for the moment I'll put off downloading anything from BFG.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 08:09 PM

I am running XP Home SP2 and that game will not run no matter what I try. I did not ask for a refund I just took another game instead.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 08:22 PM

Hi lexxy,
Have you considered updating to SP3 ?

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 09:06 PM

my account keeps making me sign in every day, what is going on.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 09:15 PM

Sometimes cleaning your computers cookies help that. Try running ccleaner on your computer and see if it helps.

Ana wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 09:32 PM

thank you very much, try it didn't work, my big fish account stills make me sign in every day,.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: MrLipid
Like I wrote, "No clear answer." There must be something OTHER than XP Pro and SP3 that is causing the Game Manager to work...or not. I think for the moment I'll put off downloading anything from BFG.

Do you have .NET 3.5 installed?
I was unable to play Eden's Quest until I installed .NET 3.5, on either XP SP2 or XP SP3.

Installing .NET 3.5 wasn't something that Big Fish suggested. It was something suggested by a user on the Internet. For some reason Big Fish takes it for granted that you'll have .NET 3.5 installed even though Microsoft considers it optional, and Eden's Quest was the first game or other application I've ever used that requires it.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 10:05 PM

Yes. That said, I don't plan on downloading anything until BFG customers sound the all clear.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/03/11 11:52 PM

Cathy1,

At one point I did consider up garding to SP3 but it seems that I shouldn't have to do this just in order to play BFG. All of my other games are playing flawlessly. It wasn't until this new download manger installed did all these problems surface. I plan to leave my system as is and wait and see if TPTB @ BFG fixes the problem.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/04/11 12:22 AM

If you have paid for your game and the icon is on your desktop, you don't need the game manager to open in order to play. The game manager only has to open when you are playing a trial period.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/04/11 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: lexxy
Cathy1,

At one point I did consider upgrading to SP3 but it seems that I shouldn't have to do this just in order to play BFG.

I've had more trouble with Big Fish games on a computer with XP SP3 than on the computer with XP SP2 -- things like the game not starting, having to change the game exe to Windows 2000 compatibility mode, needing to start the game directly from the exe and as an administrator, and the game refusing to activate. Usually persistence solves the problem, but the Game Manager seems to be buggier on the XP SP3 computer than on the XP SP2 computer.

Back when the Big Fish Game Manager worked on XP SP1 I never had any trouble at all, but then they had to go and "improve" it.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/04/11 01:44 PM

File under YMMV.

I've had no trouble with SP3. Game Manager 2 has worked (and works) flawlessly.
Posted By: Springchicken

Re: big fish game manager - 08/04/11 02:23 PM

I feel sorry for the BFG crew which worked on the new Game Manager meaning to make it better. As it turned out, it became very inconvenient and cumbersome. I downloaded one game with the new GM and it took forever. Besides, when the User Control window came up during the installation I missed to click Continue button. The installation stopped. In the old GM I would just click Install button and it will continue the installation. Now there is no such button, instead I got an error message. It was a pain in the neck to renew the installation.

I do hope this thread might catch attention of the BFG as it happened a few times before. As this whole forum is about BFG, announcing, discussing and reviewing them and we all like it.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/04/11 02:38 PM

my gamemanager works fine except some of the games felix picks for me i already have.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/04/11 05:04 PM

Have to say that I've had no problems with the new Game Manager either. Download speed seems to be the same. IMO, really just a few minor things to get used to.
Posted By: Adorable

Re: big fish game manager - 08/04/11 10:17 PM

I am not having trouble with the new GM but I don't like it. On my machine the download time is much longer than the old GM. Also, if you want to buy a game you can't do it from the new one. I had to go to my account and do it from there. Not as user friendly as it used to be. I haven't passed that along on the chat room yet, but I will. Maybe I'm more unliterate (is that a word?) than I think I am.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/04/11 11:05 PM

Adorable, I have a little "buy" button right next to the "play" button on my new GM. It's just like the old one for buying games. So, I'm not sure why you wouldn't have that button also. wink

Re: big fish game manager - 08/06/11 04:08 AM

do i need to uninstall my old games i brought before this new game manager, and reinstall them.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/06/11 04:31 AM

I haven't needed to do that, family. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/06/11 08:31 AM

I am having terrible trouble with the 'new' game manager, it just will not download games, keep getting error message 768 [no room] but there is,
have very nice guy trying to help but after a week of doing all he says, it still will not download games.

I can download and play Spintop games, so if BF can't sort it for me, :-((((
is Spintop any good?????
Posted By: ScarletDragon

Re: big fish game manager - 08/06/11 11:09 AM

Well, I finally found time to try a new game demo but I had to deal with the new game manager. Yikes. I don't like it at all. I don't want them to recommend games and certainly not OLD games. If I want to look for a new game, I check my emails from BFG and then come here to the GB forum to see what fellow Boomers have to say about it.

The new game manager is huge and I already have trouble with low virtual memory.

I've looked everywhere and I can't find out how to switch accounts. Three different people play games on my PC so I need to be able to sign out and sign back in with my own user name.

I tried to d/l a demo but got interrupted and had to pause installation. When I returned to the computer, the demo had expired. Wonder how that happened? Guess I won't buy that game since I always try the demo before purchasing.

I'm not resistant to change, but I place my vote with the people who ascribe to the theory "if it's not broke, don't fix it." I have to work this weekend, but when I find some more gaming time I will contact BFG with my issues, but I'm hoping they fix the problems before then.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/06/11 12:10 PM

i was playing dark tales the black cat ce and it reboot my computer and i got an error messages.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/06/11 03:03 PM

The BFG forums and Facebook wall are filled with very unhappy customers. More than one has given up on BFG until the GM 3.0 issues are sorted out.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/06/11 06:24 PM

it is not my game manager, it is something else, i refunded mystery case files 13 skull ce for dark tale the black cat and i email big fish and they fixed it.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/06/11 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: widget
is Spintop any good?????

SpinTop is fine except for being a little more expensive than Big Fish.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/07/11 01:11 AM

Of course, if you can't download anything from Big Fish, cost is relative. wink

Re: big fish game manager - 08/07/11 01:20 AM

This weekend I went to my friendly Goodwill store and found three HOG, Hidden Secrets The Nightmare, Mystery Case Files 13th Skull, and Drawn The Painted Tower for three dollars each. I installed each w/o any problems and I am curently playing 13th Skull with NO ERRORS. I haven't given up on BFG but I don't plan to purchase any more games until the download manager is fixed.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/07/11 04:36 AM

If you are interested, or haven't seen this thread, HERE is the thread on BFG relating to Game Manager 3.0.

As stated several times in the above thread, customer service is very interested in knowing about any problems you are having with GM 3.0. They also want the results from Dr. Felix sent with your complaint.

If you are receiving error messages, go to BFG's site and look for the "Help" button on the top right of the screen. After selecting "Help" you will be taken to a location listing possible solutions to error codes you may have received.

Just remember, if you don't take the time and notify BFG about problems you have with games, or in this case GM 3.0, they can't fix the problems or suggest possible solutions.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/07/11 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
is Spintop any good?????

SpinTop is fine except for being a little more expensive than Big Fish.

Thanks Jenny, will wait to see what BF help comes up with next before I give them up,
but it sounds like they have a lot of problems and complaints.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/07/11 04:06 PM

Thanks Jenny, will wait to see what BF help comes up with next before I give them up,
but it sounds like they have a lot of problems and complaints.

That's an understatement. I, for one, am not waiting for BFG to straighten out this self-imposed boycott. (A self-imposed boycott is when you lock the door to your store and wonder where all the customers who weren't given keys went.)

As entertaining as it is to dip into the forums at BFG on the Twelfth Day of this mess, it's not as entertaining as a good game. So, I'm off to play Dreamland. (And no, I didn't download it from BFG.)

Re: big fish game manager - 08/07/11 07:55 PM

I feel better that there are a lot of people who do not like the 'new' Game Manager,

But am still confused myself as all your 'problems' are not the same as mine, I still cannot download and get a Code 768, which tell me I have not enough space, but as I can download from Spintop and Alawar I find that not right,
still as BF support do not work weekends will see what next week brings for me.
Posted By: Mary

Re: big fish game manager - 08/08/11 11:03 PM

I've been following this thread and a bit of the posts on BigFish.
I've never had anything download so slowly as the games are now with this new Game Manager.
I'm using Win7, IE9 (I believe) and am using Verizon Fios which is pretty darn fast with most things.
I thought my Internet connection had bogged down for some reason, but now I know what that "reason" is.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Mary
I've never had anything download so slowly as the games are now with this new Game Manager.

I think the slow download problem is on Big Fish's end.
I think their new Game Manager is using up more of their bandwidth than they expected it would -- or possibly using more of their servers' processing power than they thought it would.

I've noticed their website is also more sluggish than it used to be, taking about 5 seconds to load what used to be almost instantaneous.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 04:04 AM

I think their website is too graphically intense. Too many graphics, too much going on all the time. (I assume lots of additional code but that's only a guess.) Have you noticed that when you click on one of the pictures below the game description that it loads thumbnails below as well? And for me trying to watch a preview video is like watching grass grow. I hate to think what it must be like for those still on dialup.

Someone upstairs at BFG is really making some goofy command decisions, starting with that vastly unimproved game manager.

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: traveler

Someone upstairs at BFG is really making some goofy command decisions, starting with that vastly unimproved game manager.

Goofier yet is the refusal to roll back to the previous game manager while citing "testing" issues. Seems the old game manager may not be compatible with BFG's new system. Or something.

It's been two weeks. Before I get another credit, I'm out.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 03:05 PM

Don't think I will be far behind you MrLipid,
had no response of any more help since Friday, [it's now Tuesday pm]
I know they must be 'busy'

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 03:16 PM

Widget, have you tried Live Chat (assuming you are a Game Club member)? wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 03:29 PM

No have not tried that, seen it but when I look it is not 'working'
yes I am a member,

yep just been there, 9- 4.30, its just gone that time here, might try and remember tomorrow.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 03:39 PM

You would have to contact them while accounting for the time-zone difference. Live Chat opens about an hour from now, which would be early evening for you there. Remember that the Live Chat hours are for Pacific Standard Time, so you need to adjust that time accordingly for the UK; 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Pacific Standard Time translates to 5:30 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. for you.

I'm sure you will hear back from Big Fish through email, but I have used Live Chat several times now and it's nice to get to talk to someone right away.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 05:04 PM

It's really weird - I absolutely dread it when BFG upgrades the Games Manager because I always always get problems....... but strangely this time everything is "hunky dory" for me. Mind you, I have still not had the courage to download their toolbar because it caused me no end of problems the last time I installed it!

I am really sorry to hear about everyone's troubles though.
Posted By: meryl

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 05:48 PM

I've had no problem with the new Game Manager other than I think it has slowed things down somewhat.

The BFG site is very slow anyway for me - I've a pretty slow broadband connection and I have always had to wait forever while the site loads up quantities of pictures which are totally irrelevant to what I'm trying to view. Many internet sites have this fault.

Why can't the Game Manager offer us some REAL improvements that would make life easier.
For example - flag up when we download an hours trial if we've tried the game before. On several occasions I've spotted a game on the list I thought I might like, then spent an hour downloading the trial, only to receive a message at the end "Trial Expired". Obviously I've tried it before and decided not to buy for some reason.

I'm real sorry for the people who've had their gaming really messed up by this new Game Manager and know I shouldn't complain.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
You would have to contact them while accounting for the time-zone difference. Live Chat opens about an hour from now, which would be early evening for you there. Remember that the Live Chat hours are for Pacific Standard Time, so you need to adjust that time accordingly for the UK; 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Pacific Standard Time translates to 5:30 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. for you.

I'm sure you will hear back from Big Fish through email, but I have used Live Chat several times now and it's nice to get to talk to someone right away.

Just gone on there now, seems they are also very busy with problems, not sure what times it means!!! will wait a while.

You are currently number 21 in the queue. You should be connected to an agent in about 08:18. The average amount of time a customer has to wait is 10:38.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 07:05 PM

If you don't mind sitting there waiting for eight to ten minutes or so, it sounds like you will get a chance to speak with someone.

A lot of folks having GM problems are probably using Live Chat, as well.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 08:02 PM

Just had a 'chat' my problem now has been passed to 'Senior Tech' and now I have to wait for e-mail from them, oh well, back to Solitaire !!!

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 08:32 PM

Well, maybe your problem will at least have been expedited to the proper channels. I hope! smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 09:00 PM

Seems there is a memory issue with the new game manager. It takes pretty much all it can get, which would explain the system slow downs.

Also, it may or may not go away when shut down. And if it doesn't, one has to go in with Task Manager to manually shut it down.

Miracle it works for anyone. And nothing but a misery to diagnose for those for whom it doesn't work or barely works.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 09:20 PM

That sounds like a good explanation, MrLipid.

I hope you are enjoying Dreamland. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/09/11 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
That sounds like a good explanation, MrLipid.

I hope you are enjoying Dreamland. smile

Thank you.

I'm enjoying Dreamland and I'm enjoying that the publisher's version of Dreamland doesn't need a game manager to run. wink

Re: big fish game manager - 08/10/11 12:07 AM

MrLipid,

When you say the publisher's version are you talking about a retail box version? I have a few boxed versions of HOG that I am playing now because this game manager mess has given me a headache.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/10/11 12:13 AM

Download version from NevoSoft.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/10/11 01:40 PM

could there be something wronge with my game manager, i had 2 error messages with the black cat ce and curse of the raven ce and i had a hard time playing pennytodd, i didn't have a hard time with mystery of the mummy, i am going to try dracula 1 and 2.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/10/11 03:44 PM

Just downloaded the trial of Secrets of the Dark - Temple of Night and was pleasantly surprised. Download of GM 3.0 went quickly and download of Secrets went quickly, too.

I'm using XP Pro SP 3, fully patched.

Is this the end of the drama? Don't know. Seems to be the end of it for this ex-fishie.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/10/11 10:38 PM

Interesting. I just clicked on the Forums link at BFG to see if there were any announcements about the game manager and the forums are "currently unavailable".

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/10/11 10:56 PM

The forums work for me Gil. Try again now.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/10/11 11:07 PM

Thanks, Cathy1, I reached the forum. Might as well have saved myself the trip.

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/11/11 02:48 AM

I have no idea why my system reacted so favorably to GM 3.0. But it did. No problems whatsoever. So far.

I will work with others to track down the source of the success on XP Pro and pass along what I learn.

Who knew?

Re: big fish game manager - 08/11/11 05:25 AM

I also have XP Pro, with SP3, no problems here either.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/11/11 08:23 AM

Same here Flo.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/12/11 10:37 AM

I am running XP Home SP2 and I am having major problems, could the fact that I don;t have XP Pro SP3 make the difference?

Re: big fish game manager - 08/12/11 12:06 PM

Before moving to XP Pro, I would install XP Home SP3. It's the most recent service pack, it's free and it seems to work for some folks.

Here's where to find it.

The real issue is there is just no telling what GM 3.0 needs. BFG has been silent about the new GM's software requirements.

What version of IE is on your system? I've upgraded to IE 8 (the newest version XP supports) and it seems to work fine. You don't have to use it as your browser, either. Just upgrade and forget it.
Posted By: Jeanne

Re: big fish game manager - 08/12/11 01:51 PM

Lexxy,
I am running XP Home SP2 with IE8 and have not had a problem with the new GM.
Jeanne

Re: big fish game manager - 08/12/11 07:19 PM

Just to let you know, I had a e-mail from a 'Senior Tech' did as he said and still will not work, replied 2 days ago, have heard nothing, am quickly giving up hope,

Find it strange as I can download games from Alawar and Spintop, no problem,

Still I will leave it over the weekend and see what happens next week,

Just got on to there Live Chat and this is the remark from them,

I know an update for our Game Manager is going to be going out very soon, that should fix a lot of the errors that we're currently seeing. I'm very sorry about all this, I know it's very frustrating. This is something that we didn't intend to happen and are doing everything we can at the moment to get this taken care of as soon as we can, without creating more issues

Re: big fish game manager - 08/13/11 06:57 AM

Well, that's good news for all of your having problems. Let's hope it works.
As well as feeling sorry for all my fellow Boomers who have experienced issues with the new GM I've also felt very sorry for BFG as they are such a good outfit and try hard to give excellent service.
However, I've been thinking all along - wouldn't the most effective way of helping everyone have been to swap the GM back to the previous version until the new one can be tested more thoroughly.
Maybe that's too simple, or there may well be tech. issues involved that would make this unworkable?

Re: big fish game manager - 08/13/11 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: meryl

However, I've been thinking all along - wouldn't the most effective way of helping everyone have been to swap the GM back to the previous version until the new one can be tested more thoroughly.
Maybe that's too simple, or there may well be tech. issues involved that would make this unworkable?

Many have suggested that - I think it's a great idea - and many have rolled back to GM 2.0 as individuals.

BFG, however, appears to be unwilling to bend. It's GM 3.0. Period.

18 days and counting....

Re: big fish game manager - 08/13/11 03:46 PM

Somewhere in that huge long thread at Big Fish it was mentioned that the new Game Manager incorporates stricter copy "protection." So they're not going back to the old version, no matter how many problems it causes.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/13/11 04:22 PM

I would have to agree with Jenny about the game manger as I have been working with BFG on my issues with it and Midnight Mysteries 3 not playing. Fortunately, they gave me a replacement credit for another game. However, they did state the following concerning the Game Manager:
Quote:
To be honest, most people can use our new Game Manager without issue, and most do like it. We tested it internally and with customers 6 months before releasing it – a lot of people do like it. However, as with any software a company releases, there will always be a percentage of customers who do not like it, or that it doesn't work – especially when it's new software. That's just the nature of Windows programs, and the nature of PC gaming. We will never be able to release a game that works with every customer – though we try our best to. Everyone's computers different, and some computers are just too old or slow for some of our new releases

The choice he is mentioning here, was my suggestion of going with the new game manager or staying with the old one.

Quote:
I think it'd be a great idea to have that choice, and I know that the Game Manager development team is considering it. The new Game Manager, though giving some customers issues, has a lot of little tweaks and structural changes in it that's normally supposed to make the whole download experience a lot better. That's really hard to tell if you're having trouble, though, so I can understand. I know that we're taking the feedback of the customers who do not like it in consideration - the custom sort feature's one thing, or the actual size of the Game Manager (I think it'd be great to adjust the size manually). Right now, it's really not possible to roll back to the old Game Manager, and I fear that if we did, the same problems will occur, or even new ones apepar.

They also say this about the operating systems it supports:
Quote:
Operating Systems supported by GM 3.0
Windows: XP and later, IE 7 and later
Mac: 10.4 and later (including Lion!), Safari 4.0 and later

Hope this helps a lot of you who are concerned about the new game manager. wink

Re: big fish game manager - 08/13/11 05:30 PM

Somewhere in that huge long thread at Big Fish it was mentioned that the new Game Manager incorporates stricter copy "protection." So they're not going back to the old version, no matter how many problems it causes.

That turned out to be a misunderstanding. Or maybe just a rumor.

Unfortunately, silence breeds speculation and BFG has been routinely silent on the weekends.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/13/11 06:01 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, silence breeds speculation and BFG has been routinely silent on the weekends.

Think I saw on BFG their tech support/responses is closed on the weekends. Perhaps this would be the answer to your statement. wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/13/11 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: spankie

Think I saw on BFG their tech support/responses is closed on the weekends. Perhaps this would be the answer to your statement. wave

And from a customer relationship standpoint, a poor answer it is.

As if finding an answer to the unexpected almost three week long failure of the linchpin of their business model can wait until Monday. Or Tuesday. Or whenever.

Harvard Business School case study on the hoof.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/13/11 07:42 PM

The explanation given does not satisfy me. I have uninstalled the game manager and I am playing HOG that I have purchased at Walmart and I am checking out Spin Top and other sources as a replacement to BFG. I know that the other sources are more expensive but at least there won't be this constant drama. I know I will loose the games that I have already purchased from BFG but that is the price to pay.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/13/11 10:52 PM

That explanation doesn't satisfy me either, lexxy. I fail to see why customers cannot choose the download manager they want to use if they are told up front that newer games may not work on the old GM. I'm sure some of the people who play BFG games, whether a lot or a few, can't go out and buy a new computer to keep up with BFG's advances and I know that many of those who are getting more and more frustrated can't even play games they already own which did play with the old GM.

I'm using an older version of Opera because I like it and I'm willing to forego some of the updates. But my browser works. Opera doesn't tell me I have to update or...well, too bad. One wonders just why BFG can't do as much. Especially since my task manager identifies their new GM as a browser.

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/15/11 06:35 PM

The ***Big Fish Game Manager 3.0 thread*** at Big Fish forums is now up to 63 pages. Some people still can't get it working.

Even if it works, it's inconvenient to use. It takes several seconds to start where the old version was virtually instantaneous, takes extra mouse clicks to accomplish the same thing as the old one, and repeatedly tries to foist the Big Fish toolbar on you every time you use it.

They haven't even fixed the bug where it "forgets" what you have set as your install folder every time you close it. I don't know how that bug got past testing. I also don't know why they chose Program Files as the default install location, since that's one of the two WORST choices for install location (along with the Windows folder itself) for every version of Windows since XP SP2.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/15/11 10:44 PM

What's more, the game manager doesn't seem to recognize those who are already members. The last time I dl'd it (and I do mean the last), a pop-up offered me a game for $4.99 if I signed up.

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/16/11 07:38 AM

Well, I spoke too soon about all going well for me with the new GM.

I have not been able to download anything for many days now - I have 9 games in the queue and I keep getting the error message "Download Timed Out". I have never ever had this message before.

I leave my laptop on overnight to download these games, but the Gm simply says next morning "Ready to download", although I clicked on them all the previous evening for downloading. I am now on my third attempt to download the new Redemption Cemetery and I have also tried the alternate download method with no success.

And I know it's not my internet connection as I have just downloaded Dracula The Last Sanctuary and this was (for my connection) a huge download of nearly 2 GB - aaarrrggghhhh

Re: big fish game manager - 08/17/11 12:42 AM

The way it's sounding, 63 pages equates to bad programming.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/17/11 02:29 AM

They've just locked those 68 pages, Homer6, and opened a new thread on the 'new, updated game manager' which has evidently just been pressed into service. Whatever else has been fixed, the size of the GM and the ads for "Game You'll Love" appear to be the same.

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/17/11 03:30 AM

Just checked the new thread and it seems, so far, the updated GM has fixes taking care of reported problems. Though, one user reported still having download problems.

Time will tell if this update has any more surprises.
Posted By: butterflybabe

Re: big fish game manager - 08/17/11 05:09 PM

A few months ago, BFG was named after I did a quick AVG scan. Since that has never happened before, I informed BFG, and this is their response.

Quote:
Discussion Details
Our Response March 31, 2011 05:30 PM PDT
Hello Annette,

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. This is *** in Seattle, and I understand AVG listed 163 cached Big Fish Games files as corrupted executables. I'm happy to talk with you about this today.

I can definitely understand your concern about malicious software on your computer -- this is a very serious issue. I want to start by assuring you that our files are 100% safe -- no actual virus or trojan has ever been found in them, and as we show on each game page, they are scanned daily by a variety of security software (including Trend Micro and McAfee products). What you have received is a false alarm, and I would like to explain why you received it.

Malicious programs generally allow for unauthorized communication between a computer and either another computer or a network elsewhere. The Big Fish Games files that set off this warning for you are sometimes mistaken for these types of files by security software, due to how they operate. Once those .bin and .exe files of ours are downloaded, they fetch the requested game from our network and install it within our Game Manager -- because this two-way communication can appear suspicious to some security software, those files are occasionally flagged as trojans by mistake. This is what happened in your case.

We enjoy a great relationship with most antivirus companies. What usually happens in cases like this is that we contact the antivirus company, inform them of the false positive, and they adjust their definitions so as to avoid problems like this with those files.

Again, I very much understand your concern, and I'm happy you wrote in. We take security very, very seriously here. I hope this information has been helpful, Annette. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.

All the best,

(deleted by BET)
www.BigFishGames.com
virus message re: upgrade

I did an AVG scan yest and was shocked to see it list 163 BFG cashe files about 'upgrade download test corrupted executable SDK type.core' and each file listed had a different number; if they were consecutive numbers, they weren't listed that way so I couldn't tell.

Also, I just browsed thru the BFG forum about the newest GM, lots of unhappy customers out there, some considering ending their membership.

So far, thankfully, my computer is doing fine with it; tho it may be because I just upgraded my pc to a custom-made model with a lot more memory and that always helps.

I don't mean that to be a brag; I just have feeling that older pcs might be the reason some folks are having issues with BFG's new GM.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/17/11 05:13 PM

I havent noticed my GM updating today - I have 3.0.1.44 - Is this the updated version?

Re: big fish game manager - 08/17/11 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Rosaboobie
I havent noticed my GM updating today - I have 3.0.1.44 - Is this the updated version?

Yes, it is. wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/17/11 10:52 PM

I downloaded a demo game just to see if there was an update and it took me 8 (eight) minutes just for the demo and that big outrageous back drop is still there so for my money nothing has changed.
Posted By: myopia

Big Fish too big for its boots? - 08/18/11 12:09 PM

With apologies to MaG. mods and everyone who might be offended: I tried to buy a game from Big Fish just now and had to endure yet another download of Game Manager (last download was a few days ago). After the game manager download (yawn) I was greeted with an error code 322 message (huh?) and apparently Big Fish doesn't recognise my 'n' drive, which I don't, either. So here I stand, with a credit gobbled up by Big Fish and nothing to show for it and lack of comprehension of what mistooks I made.
Methinks that Big Fish and Paul Thielen need to come back to grass roots and consider the individuals rather than the overall success.
A company is only as good as the people it employs.
Not the place to air this, MaG, I know, but none of the choices on Big Fish seemed appropriate. Thank you for being here as an unbiased mouthpiece.

Re: Big Fish too big for its boots? - 08/18/11 12:15 PM

I have to chin in here and say that I agree with everything you have stated and it's a shame because I used to look forward to the delightful games they offered and the short download and the excellent customer service they provided. I have cancelled my membership and am playing the games already paid for and accepting the slow download.
Posted By: bermag45

Re: big fish game manager - 08/18/11 12:58 PM

Re: butterflybabe's posting, I would like to point out that about two years ago or more I 'ditched' Kaspersky as my anti-virus and firewall because it kept flagging-up false reports during BFG downloads. I did send a message to Kaspersky prior to ditching it to see if the company would look into this but, alas, no reply was received.

Since getting rid of Kaspersky there has not been any problem with any warnings whatsoever. Therefore, the reply butterflybabe received from BFG is entirely correct and accurate! thumbsup wave

Bernie monky
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: big fish game manager - 08/18/11 01:30 PM

I'm wondering if Big Fish is really as bug-proof as they claim. Recently I blanked my hard drive and re-installed Vista.
When I went to 'find pictures on my computer' I had pages and pages of pictures from every (I think) Big Fish game I have downloaded since 2008.
Either the drive wasn't blanked properly or there is forever a secret place on the hard drive for 'Big Fish' eek eek eek scared

Re: Big Fish too big for its boots? - 08/18/11 01:54 PM

Myopia, I hope you will at least contact Customer Support if you haven't already, as I'm sure they will issue you a game credit for your game if they are unable to get it working properly for you. The more people that report these problems, the better, as this is the kind of information that they need in order to arrive at solutions.

I'm truly sorry that some people are still having problems with the new Game Manager. I haven't had a single problem with it, and I don't have a brand-new computer nor do I have a superpowered internet connection (and my download speeds haven't changed at all). wave
Posted By: Springchicken

Re: big fish game manager - 08/18/11 02:25 PM

Hi bermag45, I'm using Kaspersky anti-virus 2011 version, never had any problems with BFG. wave

Re: Big Fish too big for its boots? - 08/18/11 02:30 PM

Good advice, Marian. I too have had no problem with the new game manager. On the other hand, I've had problems in recent months with some of the newer games running smoothly. I've contacted Tech Support in each instance and have always been given the option to receive a coupon code for credit. Unfortunately, with the variety of internet providers, gaming platforms, and PC's in today's market, there's bound to be cases where it's difficult or impossible to track down why someone is having a problem.

I hope that those who are having difficulties since the new Game Manager was introduced are soon able to "get back in the game".
Posted By: smitty145

Re: Big Fish too big for its boots? - 08/18/11 02:56 PM

After reading about so many problems I have to say I'm fortunate not to have had any problems at all with the new GM. It recently updated again when dld Hidden Expedition and no issues with the newest version either.
As far as buying through the GM, I always sign into GB and buy through the link provided above for BFG at the top in support of GB. I like coming here and always getting good info from great people.

That's my 2 cents. wink wave
~ Carol
Posted By: flutist

Re: big fish game manager - 08/18/11 03:00 PM

I couldn't find a version number on my GM. I think the last update was March this year.
Posted By: bermag45

Re: big fish game manager - 08/18/11 03:04 PM

Hi Springchicken - Good news - perhaps Kaspersky has addressed this issue since I shelved it over two years ago now. Glad to hear all is OK for you thumbsup wave

Bernie monky

Re: big fish game manager - 08/18/11 03:32 PM

Thanks Marian...I know where to go to get the matter sorted, as I've been there before and always been impressed and grateful with the response, but I suppose my point is that it shouldn't be so complicated if problems occur...well, problems shouldn't occur.
Didn't intend this whinge to be hijacked to probs with game manager but apparently it has.
PS If you need to kill a thriving thread, call myopia.....hours later after my response and no replies. I rest my case (eww the power!)

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 02:02 PM

how do you keep the game manager on your desktop.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 02:28 PM

The Game Manager icon was automatically added to my desktop when it downloaded from BFG.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 02:51 PM

Myopia, you certainly didn't kill this thread, nor were you being ignored. I would be very frustrated if I were having the problems with the new Game Manager that you are experiencing, and I sincerely hope that Customer Support will be able to get things sorted for you. Unfortunately, we here on the forum can do little to help beyond commiserating with the difficulties that some folks are having with the new GM. In a perfect world, all new implementations of the Game Manager would work flawlessly for everyone, but unfortunately that is rarely (if ever) the case with anything of this nature and complexity.

Fingers crossed that you are able to get back to playing the games very soon. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 04:20 PM

Well, I am happy to say that the new GM has solved my previous download problems, although I still do find my downloads much slower. But I dont mind that - just so long as they download eventually!

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 05:07 PM

how do you change the game manager to go to the desktop, i click quick launcher instead of desktop.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 05:30 PM

Don't quite understand your question, family. The game manager icon was automatically added to my desktop when I downloaded and installed the first game I bought after the release of the new GM, the same as what happens with the game icons. Anytime I download and install a game or demo, an icon is automatically added to my desktop for that game. Maybe you should check with BFG Customer Support for instructions to answer your question.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 05:40 PM

thank you very much.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 07:24 PM

Anyone else noticed lately that BFG ads follow one around the web?

And here's why. BFG is using Criteo to mark folks who have visited BFG. If you want Criteo to stop, you have to opt-out by setting a cookie on your browser.

Like there weren't enough ads in the new Game Manager.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 07:35 PM

Marian, bless your heart for being so caring and empathetic. MaG should treasure you, because you are priceless.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 08:41 PM

I appreciate your kind words, myopia. I hope that things will be running smoothly for you very soon. flowers
Posted By: MaG

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 08:47 PM

Myopia,

We do - GameBoomers definitely, emphatically do.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 09:03 PM

Lol MaG, not the first time you've aided a stranded passenger....thanks for being there and God bless.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 09:10 PM

My kudos for Marian too! hearts
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 09:41 PM

And Mine, she is a treasure indeed! As are Ana and MaG. wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 10:34 PM

Aw, you folks are embarrassing me. smile flowers

Another update to the Game Manager was released today; the newest version is now 3.0.1.60. I hope that it will help folks who are still having problems with it. I believe that this is the last update planned for the foreseeable future.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 10:39 PM

I've got that taken care of, Mr. Lipid. Everytime I visit sites like Big Fish I just run CCleaner and remove all the cookies I don't want. Take that, Criteo! <g>

Unfortunately, Marian, there seem to be other "improvements" in the works (no clue as to what) and I gather they have no plans to reduce the size of this monster GM. Or to remove the ads.

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/19/11 10:47 PM

Use this here to keep the cookies away.

Ana wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 12:39 AM

Thanks, Ana. I'll check it out. smile

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 01:23 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, Marian, there seem to be other "improvements" in the works (no clue as to what) and I gather they have no plans to reduce the size of this monster GM. Or to remove the ads.

Gil.

Reasons are given in the new thread on BFG forum as to why GM was updated, and improvements down the road was one of the reasons. Hopefully other improvements prove more improving. grin

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 01:41 AM

The "improvements" they seem to be interested in making have nothing to do with the speed of downloading games and everything to do with "tailored" advertising. Because a few people complained of seeing "recommended games" that they already have, the Game Manager will become more intrusive into what you have installed on your computer so it can suggest games based on what it finds.

The current thread (the third one on the subject of the Game Manager) is ***here***

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 01:44 AM

Ana, thank you very much for that link. It was very helpful!! wink

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 01:46 AM

"Hopefully other improvements prove more improving. grin

Ha. Whatcha wanta bet they do, Homer6?

The biggest improvement I see is in the amount of money left in my wallet since I kissed the GM good-bye. evil

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 04:01 AM

No, Gil, from what I just read on the additional pages of the new GM thread, new and improved isn't going to be near improved enough to keep people coming back to BFG.

As you read those pages you see some who have already given BFG the heave ho, and others who are on the verge of doing so.

The biggest complaint is the ads being shoved down the throats of those with the latest GM, and those additional pages are full of people who are not in the mood to have an ad cluttered PC. The other things sticking in the craw of users is their browsers opening after playing a game, something that never occurred before the new and improved GM. Seems this is the decision of some developers. Why? I'd open my browser myself to go to their site if their game is good. Screw around with my browser and I'll never visit their site.

BFG sent me a post card with a coupon code for any game of my choice for only $2.99. After reading those additional pages I believe that post card is going to be thrown away. A real shame.

Seems someone at BFG doesn't understand that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 04:40 AM

What gets me, Homer6, is that the GM appears to be 'bigger' (megabytes) than my browser and according to some folks on the forum, makes their CPU usage jump wildly at times. Someone jokingly remarked (I think they were joking) that BFG seemed to be building their own browser. If so, they're doing a poor job of it.

Shoot, unlike the GM with its multiple, irritating ads, my browser sneaks in only a few things that I don't want - such as a tiny little link to Ebay - and allows me to remove them without a fuss. Oh, and it pesters me once in a while to upgrade to the latest version but it doesn't insist on it. My browser is also a d**n sight better looking with its custom skin and can be resized to almost the size of a postage stamp, unlike this BFG clunker that occupies most of the screen and will not give it up unless you minimize it to nothing.

I got rid of the game manager and my account, not because I had any problems, but because I just don't like the way BFG is ignoring people's legitimate complaints and not giving them the GM that worked while they're trying to work the Multiple bugs out of this new one that's being stuffed down their throats.

I really do not know what they're thinking.

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 05:36 AM

What they're thinking is that they are going to do what they want regardless of how it affects the user or the users' computer.

Maybe they are trying to write their own browser, or something that they believe resembles a browser. Regardless of their intentions, as one no longer a BGF customer put it, BFG has shot themselves in the foot and they're continuing to do so.

At the rate they're going, they'll be lucky if they have any customers in the next few weeks. Garbage doesn't play well with users who demand spit and polish.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 12:48 PM

I've experienced frustrating technical issues with BFG in the recent past - not related to the GM. BFG did all they could to resolve the problem. A company that didn't care about their customers wouldn't bother to provide a forum for discussion and provide the sort of customer support that BFG does. Given the number of downloads the site processes on a daily basis, and the number of different game platforms and PC configurations they have to deal with, it's really quite remarkable that the site doesn't crash on a regular basis. BFG is a top-rate site. The number of problems with the new GM is likely a small percentage in the grand scheme of things. I understand the frustration of those for whom the new GM has affected their ability to download or play the games. However, I feel that the complaints regarding the overall "look" and functions can be disregarded when considering how "big" the problem is. Not that those opinions shouldn't be shared. Just that they don't really represent a failure on the part of BFG, IMO. Give BFG some credit for working with everyone concerned. For a number of reasons, change is usually problematic in any human endeavor. And maybe it's well to remember that BFG is indeed a HUMAN endeavor. To those who decide to jump ship, I understand that you feel this is what you need to do to express your displeasure. A valid response. In the end, it's up to the customer to decide where they wish to spend their dollars.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 03:43 PM

Very true Sparkle, I remember the complaints when Gameboomers changed to a new forum program and even though there were new features added that people had been begging for, there were complaints. Now no one even notices the difference anymore. Change is hard thing to accept.

I am an anti-ad person though especially if I am customer and buy the games. Save the ads for sites that are all pay for free games.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 03:47 PM

The ads don't bother me. Since I get plenty of pop-ups on my Yahoo Home Page from places I shop online (in spite of AdBlock Plus), I've pretty much learned to ignore them. Just clean out my cookies every now and then. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 04:41 PM

At least now everyone has some idea what a game portal looks like when run by a former managing director at Goldman Sachs. wink

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 04:46 PM

Jeremy has been in charge there for 4 years so I'm not sure he is to blame. lol

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 04:48 PM

Oh-oh - I just this minute got yet another GM update installed onto my laptop!! Version 3.0.1.60

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 08:46 PM

Boobie, I hope that the updated GM continues to work well for you.
Posted By: butterflybabe

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 08:50 PM

BET, I used the opt-out link and elected to opt out of all those cookie buggers.

I also bookmarked the page to check again at another time, just to keep on top of it

Thanks for the info!

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 09:00 PM

I have used it for quite awhile and posted it here after noticing it worked. I have however noticed that despite the fact they say it stays away for years, I have had a few come back and I have needed to opt-out again. I believe that happens when you inadvertantly agree on another website you visit to accept that particular cookie. No big deal to opt-out again though.

Ana wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/20/11 09:06 PM

Okay, having read all the comments listed, I'm not afraid to add my own two cents again. (I tried discussing this before, but was swept away in the anti-complaint-it-must-be-your-computer-tide.;) )

I can understand both sides of this issue, and, in a really bad economy, I'm sure BFG is feeling the pinch as well, and desperately trying anything for marketing. However, what they're doing with the GM and all its revisions is going to hurt not help. IMHO, they need to stop holding on to a losing proposition, and at least make choices available for customers.

My beloved Felix is safe with me. I'm certainly not planning on torturing or dismembering him, which some folks on the main forums are doing, but I hate to see BFG steadfastly do themselves damage. No, I haven't cancelled my membership, but I also haven't made my usual amount of purchases. I suspect there are a lot of customers like me out there, and overall, their revenues are not going to look good at the end of the month.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 12:36 AM

Guess I'm slow on the uptake, Cynder; Felix? Seems I'm having slow days very often these days. grin

I think you hit the nail on the head, Cynder, in that the customer no longer seems to have a choice how the GM is displayed, or what is displayed, on their computer. And if the new and improved GM is as much of a system hog as has been said, that as well.

Sure, BFG and all game sites need to protect themselves, making sure the software used for their sites are as fool proof as possible. But when changes upset as many customer as this one has I'm not sure it's worth the possible losses in the end.

I am one of those customers you spoke of, Cynder, who would love to buy more games from BFG. But after all I've read I'm not about to subject my system with software that seems to have moved backward instead of forward. I'll keep my eye open, hoping things will be resolved to my satisfaction.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Cynder
My beloved Felix is safe with me. I'm certainly not planning on torturing or dismembering him, which some folks on the main forums are doing,

Really? That's terrible!
I'd never do that, even if I quit Big Fish.

Quote:
No, I haven't cancelled my membership, but I also haven't made my usual amount of purchases.

Same here, though I did buy the new Hidden Expedition game.

Originally Posted By: Homer6
Guess I'm slow on the uptake, Cynder; Felix?

When you're a member at Big Fish for a year, they send you a plush Felix the fish. (Felix is the Big Fish mascot)

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/364/picture1juh.png

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 03:12 AM

The issues with the Game Manager have caused more than a few folks to wake up from their BFG trance and consider if there might be other places to buy games.

The fact that BFG management has decided to insist that the GM 3.0 is OK with just a few annoying problems says a lot about what they think of their loyal customers. Basically, take it or leave it.

In three plus weeks, the folks in charge have done a lot of damage to a reputation that took more than a few weekend sales to build and will take more than a few weekend sales to restore.

Maybe BFG will come back. Maybe, if GM 3.0 ever works for most customers, it will be forgiven and forgotten. Maybe.

What's clear is that the opinion of BFG's customers apparently doesn't matter to BFG. And the good will of those customers, including myself, is no longer something BFG can take for granted.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 05:25 AM

rotfl Jenny, the minute I read your post I remembered who Felix was. I did say my slow days are more frequent. rotfl

MrLipid, there is no doubt in the world BFG's reputation has been dragged under a bus because of the updated GM. And as was said, they'll see the results when they check the books at the end of the month.

There is a yes/no about the customers' opinion, though, because many of the posts on BFG's forum show they want to help customers solve the problems they are facing.

On the other hand, when comes to the GM they do want to fix what doesn't work so they can release something that does. Regardless of how the customer likes what they'll have to use to buy games from BFG.

Personally, I don't see the "take it or leave it" as a good business approach in keeping loyal customers, especially computer users. We seem to be a bunch who like to see the KISS principle used as often as it can, because we don't have all day to spend waiting for something to load, run, burp, hiccup, or whatever else it may have to do.

Any updated program, from anybody, which is in anyway worse than the original is, in my books, a huge step backwards. The surest way to loose customers who have been loyal for years is to take that huge step backwards and anger those customers.

My personal opinion is that the testing BFG did on this updated GM wasn't enough to ferret out all the problems they have seen users encounter. It also doesn't seem as though they had someone who knew how to provide tight programming, hence the huge size of the updated GM--just my opinion, not gospel.

In short, this thing should not have been released yet. It should have been tested with select BFG members to get their reactions and opinions, and corrections made so that what they're wading through right now might not of happened.

But without knowing the purpose behind the update, the type and amount of testing done, and what was used to write the program, all we have is just speculation. And all BFG has are angry customers, and those waiting and watching, not buying any games.

A happy customers tells, perhaps, five other people. An angry customer tells ten times that many.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 07:43 AM

Just to up-date those who might be interested,
BF still have not solved my problem, nearly 3 weeks, they have suggested lots of things but nothing works, so am going to give them one more week, then I will cancel my subscription.

I am having terrible trouble with the 'new' game manager, it just will not download games, keep getting error message 768 [no room] but there is,
have very nice guy trying to help but after a week of doing all he says, it still will not download games.

is Spintop any good?????

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 08:13 AM

I just don't understand the (commercially) blind stubbornness that BFG is exhibiting over this issue.
Without having an ounce of technical knowledge, I know it must be possible for them to restore the old Game Manager.
When this began I felt sorry for the company (as well as for its clients) but it's obvious from their forums that the problem is of epic proportions and not improving with subsequent new versions of this monster.
I've seen companies commit commercial suicide before and the cause is often a refusal to listen to their customers and fully address a problem.
Let's hope this doesn't prove to be the case here.
Incidentally, what are the alternative companies one could use for those people who are unable, or don't want, to use BFG any more?
Posted By: sarahandus

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 12:06 PM

I find Spin Top very reliable, but more expensive. Also there is Awem and Alawar. All three use codes to activate your game so you don't need to go home to them to replay your game. You own it and can use it however you want.
Amazon is also a good place for downloading games, using their downloader.

Yahoo also uses codes, but they call home when you finish the game so I don't use them anymore.

I have always felt Big Fish loaded too much junk with their games, this new game manager is just the most visible.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 01:03 PM

I agree with everything you said so astutely, homer6. Two days ago, I cancelled my connection to Big Fish after many years and don't intend to return until the basic introduction and therefore the first impression of Big Fish, is fixed. I'm almost personally ashamed of this amateurish front-line pretence at IT in a No.1 firm.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 02:03 PM

Homer 6: Just a couple of comments. First of all, do you know for a fact that BFG did not beta test the new game manager? And do you think that a limited test of selected users is going to cover any and all possible problems?

Computer users come in all ages and not all of them are cautious or responsible in their usage. It was mentioned that one of the purposes of the new GM is to improve security. I can tell you from experience that many people who download games online are not at all careful or concerned about how or where they "shop" or what possible problems a download may cause. We have a neighbor who calls my husband (a retired IT professional) on a monthly basis because his computer has been compromised. Therefore, not every problem should necessarily be assumed to be the fault of BFG. Frustrated users will be the most vocal. It would be interesting to know exactly how many users are experiencing technical difficulties as a percentage of the whole of the BFG customer base.

Given the overall track record of BFG, I seriously doubt that the new GM was simply thrown together without thought of the overall impact on the site. I would imagine much discussion went on about expected and unexpected problems and how they would be managed. It will all get ironed out in time. Most other high-traffic sites I visit crash on a regular basis. And many busy sites simply shut down whenever they need to upgrade. I think it's pretty darn awesome that BFG can continue to make the site available while working through this upgrade. How many more users would be outraged if BFG shut down while upgrading in order to avoid technical difficulties?

Everyone has their point of view based on their own experience and expectations. And I can respect that. I hope you understand that this is not meant to be any sort of criticism of those who are unhappy. I just think it's s helpful and fair to inject a positive perspective into the discussion. You can count me in the number who are still downloading games from BFG on a daily basis. And admittedly grateful that the new GM is working just fine for me.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 02:53 PM

I have cancelled my membership with BFG and don't plan to return until the GM is fixed and not just patched. I could not believe that it took almost 30 minutes to downlaod a game compared to a short 3-4 minutes with the old GM. I have purchased games there that I will continue to download but not another dime will I put forth to purchase a game from them.I learned a looong time ago when I was in college taking business mgt classes that #1 rule of business is , The customer is always right, maybe BFG management should consider re visiting that rule.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Sparkle

Given the overall track record of BFG, I seriously doubt that the new GM was simply thrown together without thought of the overall impact on the site. I would imagine much discussion went on about expected and unexpected problems and how they would be managed. It will all get ironed out in time. Most other high-traffic sites I visit crash on a regular basis. And many busy sites simply shut down whenever they need to upgrade. I think it's pretty darn awesome that BFG can continue to make the site available while working through this upgrade. How many more users would be outraged if BFG shut down while upgrading in order to avoid technical difficulties?

Let's separate a couple things here. BFG's site availability is only compromised for those for whom the new GM doesn't work. For those for whom it works, the site has not changed. In fact, the site is no different than it was a month ago, pre-GM 3.0. The only difference is the replacement of GM 2.0 with GM 3.0. And the fact that gamers can roll back to GM 2.0 without any issues suggests the problem is purely within GM 3.0.

As for GM 3.0 being thrown together, BFG is not a technology company, it is a technology-dependent marketing company. Right now, their technology is failing to deliver on what their marketing promises.

Like coffee shop chains, BFG relies on habitual buyers; folks who drop in every day to get their fix. Too many down days and it's time to look elsewhere for that fix.

BFG will no doubt keep its loyal customers for whom GM 3.0 is not a problem. The question is what current customers for whom the GM either doesn't work at all or works poorly will do.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 03:20 PM

I must say Mr. Lipid, that you're comparison to coffee shop patrons is a good one. A local Starbucks opened up a sidewalk window to serve their customers while upgrading their shop rather than closing for the time it would take. And free cookies. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 03:41 PM

So when does BFG start giving out free cookies to customers who can't get in and can't reach the window? wink

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 03:48 PM

laugh

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 03:56 PM

Sparkle,

I guess my last post wasn't as clear as it should have been.

I wasn't saying BFG didn't beta test their new GM, BFG stated as much in one of the new GM threads, but that it should have been tested longer and by not just in house people but select BFG members. Six months of testing isn't very long when you are about to introduce something like this new GM. If you want to introduce a good product to the market you should test that product a minimum of one year, two if possible.

When you introduce an update as significant as seen in the new GM it should be tested every which way you, and others, can think of. In house people are mostly employees, or family members, so they are going to be loyal to the product. Members of a site may be loyal but you'll get a much more honest evaluation as to a products worth because the company wanting the testing doesn't have any holds over them. Unless they own stock in the company, the end user doesn't really have a vested interest in whatever company it may be.

Yes, I do understand not all computer owners are responsible computer users. And that many problems they encounter are a result of their carelessness.

But the discussion does not center around every problem these people experience, it concerns the problems people are having with the updated GM. And their experiences of once having a working GM that allowed them to download and run their games to something that no longer does.

A few people having this problem could be thought to be the result of problems with their systems. But the sheer number of people having this problem lays the problem directly on the door step of BFG. In this case A + B is not going to equal C.

I agree, this new GM was not put together out of the blue, it had planning and discussion. But that doesn't mean someone at BFG hadn't already decided how the finished product was going to look and work; I've 34 years of experience watching something like this happen on a daily basis.

Why would BFG shut down because of software used on our computers? Does this software run the entire BFG web site? Needing to upgrade user software does not seem a valid reason to shut down an entire web site if that software doesn't control the web site.

No one can fault any web site when they tightening their security. It should be expected, but at what point does tweaking become a detriment? At what point are you going to start hearing from your customers? And are you going to listen to those customers, regardless of your overall plans? Customers drive a business, the business doesn't drive the customer.

Comments about anything are automatically classed as positive or negative, it's the way we've been programmed; and something we may never be rid of. We can't get away from this because it's the accepted norm. But I submit there is neither positive or negative comments, but people expressing opinions that add to the overall discussion of a topic. Offering, from their points of view, insights no one else has expressed or realized existed. Discussions would be rather dull if everyone provided the same insights. And I don't believe computer users are a dull bunch.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 04:16 PM

Comment lifted from the BFG forums. As Perry Mason might have said, "If it please the court, we submit this statement as indicative of the witness's agitated emotional state."

"BF used to be the best site around, now its pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

wink
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 04:18 PM

Don't known if it will help anybody who's having problems but there's an update for the game manger. When I installed a game last night the manager updated itself first.

I haven't had any problems with the game manager.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 04:59 PM

Appreciate your comments, Homer. Can you posit whether or not BFG was already dealing with security breaches that was negatively impacting their bottom line and/or the overall security of their site, and therefore made it more urgent to release the new GM and work on any technical problems as they arose? In other words, taking the more acceptable risk of losing some customers over the risk of opening themselves up to hackers? I don't know. Just wondering if you have an opinion about this scenario.

And to Mr. Lipid: Further in the area of human nature and how businesses fare when they decide to make changes: Our local McD's recently underwent renovations - likely mandated by corporate. There had been several groups of people who were in the habit of gathering for breakfast on a daily basis. In the interest of making the store more "hip", the larger tables were removed to make room for small tables in order to facilitate wi-fy access. The "regulars" were incensed - and I can't say I blame them. In protest, they moved their morning get-togethers to the Burger King across the street. Now, the Burger King didn't get even a small fraction of the business that the McD's enjoyed. On the plus side, you never had to wait in line. lol But the product and the service was inferior. Eventually, the morning "regulars" moved their business back to McD's - where both the food and the coffee were superior, (albeit that it was necessary to spread themselves out a bit). The End. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 05:21 PM

Sparkle,

Let's take a closer look at product and service. In most cases, the games available (product) for download (service) are identical. Amazon and BFG offer much the same catalog of games. Even the prices are the same.

In some cases, Amazon's prices are lower. Twisted Lands Shadow Town is $3.49 on Amazon compared to $6.99 for BFG Game Club members. And there is no club or monthly fee for Amazon.

Does Amazon mail out a plush mascot? No.

Does Amazon require a massive Game Manager? No.

While BFG has some original games, even those are being marketed in other places. (Amazon expects to offer 78 of them.)

So what, exactly, differentiates BFG from other portals?

What would make folks want to return to BFG?

I'm sincerely curious about this. What is the attraction of BFG versus the competition? What makes BFG the Mac & Don's Supper Club of gaming portals and everything else the Burger King?

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 05:58 PM

Mr. Lipid: I've never downloaded games from Amazon. How many casual PC games of the sort that BFG offers are available on Amazon - total? Do they offer free demos? Does Amazon have something akin to the punch card? How many of the games that Amazon offers are in the range of $6.99-$13.99? A single example of a lower price doesn't make the case, since prices tend to fluctuate on Amazon. For that matter, BFG does have the $2.99 deals. Does Amazon offer periodic sales of any and all of their games at a single, low price of $4.99? And what can you tell me about the security of Amazon downloads vs. BFG? Does Amazon provide a forum where one can swap tips and/or find a walkthrough? I know that walkthroughs can be found in many places. But it's nice to be able to go right through the GM to find them. ETA: Live Chat and Tech Support are also easy to access through BFG site.

As far as the Game Club membership, I personally don't consider that an extra cost since I buy more than one game/month. For me, it boils down to being satisfied with BFG overall. I don't see that shopping around on Amazon is worth the trouble. In the long run, I probably come out ahead or at least even as regards how much I spend. I do check Amazon first when I want to buy an adventure game DVD though since I'm usually looking for what's new.

I'm glad that those who are having problems have options. It's hard to quit once you've become addicted. wink Now if Wendy's would just bring back the Frostychino, all would be well in my little world. grin

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 05:59 PM

Quote:
What is the attraction of BFG versus the competition?

Perhaps MrLipid, it's the "Punch Card" incentive system with the free game and an occasional $4.99 deal on any game except CE?

Not sure if the other game websites offer that, but would be interested to know.

Also, it's seems like a mute point to hash over the BFG problems here and not at their website where they can see and respond. To bad, these efforts are wasted here and not where they should be at BFG.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 06:01 PM

[quote]
Also, it's seems like a mute point to hash over the BFG problems here and not at their website where they can see and respond. To bad, these efforts are wasted here and not where they should be at BFG.

Good point.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 06:35 PM

Also, it's seems like a mute point to hash over the BFG problems here and not at their website where they can see and respond.

Big Fish will delete references to alternative game sites like SpinTop or AWEM. And they apparently also won't allow their members to post links to an installer for the previous game manager. That's why their Game Manager forum thread is so full of requests for PM's for this information. So there is good reason for people to discuss the problem on other game forum sites like this one.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 06:52 PM

And they apparently also won't allow their members to post links to an installer for the previous game manager.

No apparently about it. Any links to GM 2.0 disappear quickly, replaced with "[removed by moderator]". I should know. I've PMed both the process by which one removes GM 3.0 and the link that leads to GM 2.0 many times.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 07:12 PM

Wouldn't it cause even more problems for members to be uninstalling the new GM and trying to reinstall the older version in its stead? If BFG is trying to make the new GM work, I'd think having people trying to use the old one would only add to the trouble. confused

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 07:20 PM

Let's see if there are answers to some of these questions.

Mr. Lipid: I've never downloaded games from Amazon. How many casual PC games of the sort that BFG offers are available on Amazon - total? Do they offer free demos? Does Amazon have something akin to the punch card? How many of the games that Amazon offers are in the range of $6.99-$13.99?

2005, yes, no, most.

Does Amazon offer periodic sales of any and all of their games at a single, low price of $4.99? And what can you tell me about the security of Amazon downloads vs. BFG? Does Amazon provide a forum where one can swap tips and/or find a walkthrough?

Not sure, about the same, yes.

I'm glad that those who are having problems have options.

Agreed. And for those for whom BFG has locked its store door with GM 3.0, Amazon is one of many attractive alternatives, including Steam and Alawar.

There is no exact match to BFG. However, for those unable to access BFG (or the games they bought and downloaded from there), the alternatives look pretty good.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 07:25 PM

Wouldn't it cause even more problems for members to be uninstalling the new GM and trying to reinstall the older version in its stead? If BFG is trying to make the new GM work, I'd think having people trying to use the old one would only add to the trouble. confused

Not at all. Here's the issue. You can't download and activate games with anything but 3.0. Once the games are activated, 2.0 works much better.

And for those for whom 3.0 doesn't work at all, uninstalling it and replacing it with 2.0 at least lets them access the games they already have.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 08:02 PM

Appreciate your comments, Homer. Can you posit whether or not BFG was already dealing with security breaches that was negatively impacting their bottom line and/or the overall security of their site, and therefore made it more urgent to release the new GM and work on any technical problems as they arose? In other words, taking the more acceptable risk of losing some customers over the risk of opening themselves up to hackers? I don't know. Just wondering if you have an opinion about this scenario.

Since BFG, or any web site, might not come right out and tell if hackers have attacked their sight, no, I can't say I've read anything on the BFG forum dealing with this issue. BFG did list tightened security as one reason GM was updated, so possibly they were encountering problems.

Tighten security by releasing a program that caused problems for many, and then work out the bugs? No, this program isn't the one running their web site so it should have been better before it was released.

Customer loss for any business is not an acceptable risk, because you may never get those customers back and lose more along the way. You lose too many customers and you lose your business. As I said in a previous post, customers drive a business, businesses don't drive customers.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 08:02 PM

Thank you Homer and Mr. L. for taking the time to answer my questions.

As far as risking loss of business, any change a business makes is going to bother some customers in some way. I remember many people saying they were going to quit shopping at one of our local grocery chains because the chain had decided to revamp their stores and moved everything around. I haven't noticed that these changes caused a long term loss of business, despite the initial angst. A successful business is usually able to overcome the negative in the long run. Otherwise they wouldn't have been successful in the first place. I just don't see this GM issue as being the death of BFG as some seem to suggest.

It's been a pleasure discussing this with everyone. Now, back to the gaming. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 08:09 PM

You're welcome. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 09:43 PM

It saddens me to see all the upset that the new GM has caused. BigFish has always been my one safe haven to download from and I am not ready to give them up, but I hate to see so many unhappy posters. I hope that a happy medium will be found amd everyone can be ready to discuss the games again and not just the download.

I appreciate that everyone is voicing their opinions in an adult manner here though. thanks

Ana wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 09:49 PM

What? You want us to start acting like the kids we feel like on the inside? grin

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 10:02 PM

lol You can come join me in the naughty corner if you want to regress to your childhood Homer.

I just find it refreshing to read thought out comments and opinions. hearts

Ana wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 10:34 PM

And here I thought I was engaging in venom-filled rant....

Ah, well. wink

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 10:38 PM

And here I thought I was engaging in venom-filled rant....

Ah, well. wink

lol

Re: big fish game manager - 08/21/11 11:59 PM

No apparently about it. Any links to GM 2.0 disappear quickly, replaced with "[removed by moderator]". I should know. I've PMed both the process by which one removes GM 3.0 and the link that leads to GM 2.0 many times.

And "bfgHondo" posted this:
Quote:
Also, I just wanted to bring to your attention that distributing our Game Manager software is a violation of our Terms of Use. As such, I’ll be removing all references in this thread to any files that are being shared amongst one another.

Real friendly that.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 12:47 AM

It's been a pleasure, Sparkle. wave

WOW! An invitation to be in Ana's naughty corner. How will I ever get over this? rotfl

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 01:13 AM

grin Remember Homer, what happens in the naughty corner, stays in the naughty corner.

Ana yay

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
grin Remember Homer, what happens in the naughty corner, stays in the naughty corner.

Sort of like what happens at BFG, stays [removed by moderator]. wink

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 01:55 AM

Quote:
And "bfgHondo" posted this:
Quote:
Also, I just wanted to bring to your attention that distributing our Game Manager software is a violation of our Terms of Use. As such, I’ll be removing all references in this thread to any files that are being shared amongst one another.

Real friendly that.

Since he pointed us at the Terms of Use, I think everyone should go read them, particularly the part about Warranties and Liabilities shouted at us all in caps. If they put that on the front page, BFG would be a ghost site in no time.

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 03:31 AM

I just read that Gil, and you may be right. Part of it is saying if you don't like what they present you can stop using their software and go elsewhere.

Also, no where does it say BFG has to try a fix any problems with the software they present. But they are, which I admit says something about BFG wanting our business.

It also says they aren't responsible for third party problems, I'm thinking here about browsers opening after demos are played because some developers are putting it into their games.

Out of all this new GM mess I will say one thing for BFG, I've never encountered a customer service more willing to help solve a user's problem. They may not get back to you for a few days, but they do get back in touch with you.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 03:46 AM

If you read any Privacy Policy you would see that BigFish has the least intrusive policy from all the other portals. I do read them all and that is why I stick with BF and Spin Top as my primary downloads. And they do indeed follow through on their customer service and they give out free game coupons as though they were passing out candy on Halloween if you aren't happy. No where else do you get anything close to that. They may be having growing pains but they are still an admirable company.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 03:54 AM

I've always read that about Customer Service at BFG, Homer6 and I believe you.

But it was BFG that caused the myriad problems people are having with the new GM, for which, bottom line, they take no responsibility, however nice the people in Customer Service are. Nobody should have to jump through hoops to get an intermediate piece of software to work on their computers without causing problems ranging from trivial to massive.

I do feel sorry for Customer Service. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes.

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 07:24 AM

I have had a look at the BF forum, what a lot of people complaining, a lot have already cancelled, surely something must be done soon?

Just had a look at the Awem site, am trying a trial download,

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 11:34 AM

Widget,
I have cancelled BFG and have found SpinTop to be very good so far but I too will take a look at Awem.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 12:31 PM

Thanks lexxy, is the price about the same??

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 01:13 PM

Looks like $ 9.95 with a up to 20% discount for a year if one registers now. In other words, the usual. wink

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 01:35 PM

If you read any Privacy Policy you would see that BigFish has the least intrusive policy from all the other portals.

Have you checked the policy at Awem, Ana?
Do you see anything bad there?

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 01:58 PM

Awem's Privacy Policy looks very clean. I'm thinking new fave here.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 02:09 PM

It's fine Jenny. They are a developer as well so benefit more if you are buying one of their developed games also.

Ana wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 02:43 PM

Sandlotgames is another place to check out. They seem to have prices similar to BF. No monthly charges. smile

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 07:55 PM

Looks like $ 9.95 with a up to 20% discount for a year if one registers now. In other words, the usual. wink

Bit more expensive than BF,

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 08:05 PM

Bit more expensive than BF,

There's always Sandlot Games. $ 6.99 for most games, most days.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 10:00 PM

What is the URL for Awem?

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 10:06 PM

Awem

wave

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 10:07 PM

http://www.awem.com/

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 10:20 PM

Thanks, folks.

Hmmm...that's interesting. I try going to Awem and get blocked. Even tried going to Awem from Google, blocked. Beats my shorts what's going on. Any ideas?

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 10:34 PM

Perhaps your ISP? Your antivirus? Odd.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 11:20 PM

It is odd - I'm not blocked in Firefox or IE 9.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/22/11 11:35 PM

Pfui, I can't remember how to get into the darned thing, but do you suppose it's possible that Awem somehow got into your hosts file as a site to be blocked?

Gil.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/23/11 12:58 AM

It's fine Jenny. They are a developer as well so benefit more if you are buying one of their developed games also.

Thanks for the advisory, Ana (and MrLipid).

They've locked the thread and started a new one again.
***new GM3 thread***

Re: big fish game manager - 08/23/11 02:12 AM

Thanks for the advisory, Ana (and MrLipid).

They've locked the thread and started a new one again.
***new GM3 thread***

You're welcome, Jenny100. I thought it looked good.

As for BFG, well, this is becoming a pattern. No telling where it ends.

Re: big fish game manager - 08/23/11 02:39 AM

This thread was getting too long so you can continue here.

Ana wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community