GB HOMEPAGE

Best Match 3 Game?

Posted By: gaily

Best Match 3 Game? - 05/08/12 02:58 PM

Hi all,
I am a die-hard adventurer and IHOG fan. Recently, I have been giving the Match 3 games a go; some of which I found pretty fun, if illogical, others left me yawning. So when I saw the "Citadel" over at BFG, (and also the very mixed reviews) I thought I would ask here what other Boomers liked best of all with this genre.
What is your favorite Match 3 game of all?
think think
Posted By: MrLipid

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/08/12 03:12 PM

Around the World in 80 Days by Playrix.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/08/12 03:15 PM

I too liked Around the World in Eighty Days. smile

Others I would highly recommend are Caribbean Hideaway (my favorite, but it is timed and some of the levels are really tough); Cradle of Rome; Cave Quest; Paradise Quest; and the Jewel Quest games. wave
Posted By: OldMan44

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/08/12 05:01 PM

Gally,

Best Match 3 games: beyond a doubt Jewel Quest games (ALL), but the best is probably "Jewel Quest II" and of equal value is "Ancient Quest of Saqqarah".

All are available on Big Fish & are only $6.99 each. Start with those two & if you like Match 3 at all you will not be disappointed.

-OldMan44
Posted By: PATSY

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/08/12 05:21 PM

My very favorite is 80 days, next is Jewel Quest II.
Posted By: Flo NS

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/08/12 07:07 PM

Ancient Quest of Saqqarah was the best, but close was 4 Seasons the original.

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/08/12 07:30 PM

All right! Thanks so much everyone....I'll be giving these games a look!

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/08/12 07:55 PM

I have to agree with Flo about Saqqarah being a Great game (I have played the main game through twice & the add-ons at least once…currently playing The Egyptian one a 2nd time). One of the things that makes it great is that it exposes you to a number of different match 3 styles. I was also part of the GZ group that was instrumental in getting Codeminion to add a relaxed mode to the game soon after its initial release. 4 Seasons is also a very good game too, but in a different style & a good bit shorter than Saqqarah & all of the Jewel Quest games.

The reason that Jewel Quest II is my favorite (although Saqqarah is a very close 2nd) is that my wife of 35 years Judy (may her soul rest in peace) is who got me hooked on the game. She would play it for hours on end & when I retired a few years ago soon had me doing the same on my computer. So it remains a connection that I cannot bring myself to ever cut. Jewel Quest II, HE Titanic & MCF Huntsville are the games that began my addiction to the Casual Game genre. Until I retired I was a diehard FPS (which I no longer have a good enough reaction time to play) & RPGs (which I am still addicted to).

-OldMan44

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/09/12 02:29 AM

I am still very open to other's thoughts about their favorite Match3 games. bravo

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/09/12 02:37 AM

I must confess that I hacked 80 Days to get rid of the time limits and improve the power ups. Makes all the difference. I am now going around the world for the 30th time. wink

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/09/12 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: MrLipid
I am now going around the world for the 30th time. wink

Wow. laugh

I've played Caribbean Hideaway four times now and I thought that was a lot. smile

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/09/12 03:08 AM

I'm not really addicted. I just like this game. smile
Posted By: 3dobermans

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/09/12 09:26 AM

I really liked the Fishdom series; can be either timed or casual, by Playrix and also offered by BF.
Posted By: flutist

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/09/12 07:07 PM

I downloaded the Saqqarah game and so far, I really like it. Casual mode too. Glad you brought that one up Oldman. Thanks.

Bets

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/10/12 07:00 AM

Bets,

You are quite welcome. I think you will find it very addicitive. It, like the Jewel Quest series, always reminded me of Civ. In Civ it is always just one more turn; with these games it is always just one more screen & before you know it it is 3 o'clock in the morning. LOL

Casual/Relaxed mode is the only mode I play Saqqarah in. Raceing to beat a clock just takes all the pleasure out of it for me anymore. Besides, I have already had one heart attack & I am not going to play a game that might give me another one by raising my blood pressure from yelling at an arbitrary clock set by some young programmer with lightning reflexs. lol

Have Fun.
-OldMan44
Posted By: Cappy

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/10/12 01:23 PM

After reading all these posts, I once again tried Match 3 games. The one thing that really bugs me about them is the hint system. Is there any way to turn it off (other than MrLipid's method of hacking, grin )? It is very annoying to me to have the jewels tell me which ones to click on. No challenge in that. Without the hints I may even begin to like this type casual game.

Barb

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/10/12 01:45 PM

It seems to me that I have played some match 3 games where they don't indicate a possible next move, but right now I can't remember which games were like that, unfortunately. Maybe someone else will remember. wave

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/10/12 04:31 PM

Ladies,

I don't know about all of them, but most have an option menue that allows you to turn the hints on/off. I know that the Jewel Quest series do. In fact, in Jewel Quest II it is on the opening screen.

I just checked to be sure & ended up playing half a dozen screens before I could bring myself to quit & post this. LOL

-OldMan44

P.S. Wow, just realized I reached the 100 mark in posts. It only took me a little over 2.5 years. rotfllc
Posted By: Cappy

Re: Best Match 3 Game? - 05/10/12 06:34 PM

Thanks, OldMan44. Guess I missed seeing that option. I'll give the Match 3s another go around without the hints...and in particular Jewel Quest II which I downloaded the trial of earlier today.

Barb PS: Congrads on your 100th post. It'll be a while before I get there.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community