GB HOMEPAGE

Scary games

Posted By: Laurette

Scary games - 06/18/17 04:06 AM

Does anybody know, or have heard about any scary/creepy games coming to BFG lately? I have beta tested several games lately, which appear to be great. But, it seems BFG is currently focused on knights, ladies in distress, and nothing current. After awhile this gets boring. Please give us something scary, like modern-day games. Non bloody, just scary.

Thanks.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Scary games - 06/18/17 02:16 PM

I would say it's almost a certainty that some games of that type are in the works as it's a very popular genre, but as to when exactly, I don't know. wave
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Scary games - 06/29/17 02:03 AM

I agree, Laurette. I am equally tired of the witch/demon as protagonist, as well as having yet another kidnapped family member's rescue driving the plot. ha ha

At the same time, can we ask the game designers to move on from the "blinking eye" trope, to signify the character is waking up from yet another horrible smack on the head that should have been fatal? wink
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Scary games - 06/29/17 06:15 AM

I also agree with Laurette, we need more scary games and Yes, Modern games please.

And Reenie you made me Laugh when you mentioned
Quote:
"blinking eye" trope, to signify the character is waking up from yet another horrible smack on the head that should have been fatal? wink
good one and I have noticed this is done in most of the games when characters get knocked out, oh well.
Posted By: gamenut

Re: Scary games - 06/29/17 01:03 PM

Oh boy! I'm hoping they bring on some REALLY good creepy, scary games soon. Also--to be Really creepy or scary you don't need gore... You need very good writers first!
I read somewhere a couple weeks ago that BigFish was either moving or has already moved their base of operations to Kentucky (they've been owned by Churchill Downs for a couple years now). Maybe they'll also 'move' to get some better, more suspenseful, eerie, creepy, scary games..Maybe--even get some new developers since the regular ones seem to be stuck in the same-o, same-o. Think I will reload Escape from Ravenhurst (again this year- replay it every year!) this weekend. I do wonder what ever happened to the group that developed that game... Yep- it's older but to me remains the best of anything BFG offered us! Ravenhurst or that family sure hasen't been the same--too bad because you Just Know there are still Branches on that tree that haven't been pruned yet! BWAHAHAHAAAaaaaa.

Re: Scary games - 06/29/17 03:45 PM

Gamenut, I don't go for gore, either, but I enjoy suspense and I did play the entire Ravenhurst series, too. Twice have replayed the one you mentioned. Good writing + scary = great game. Gore and things startling you both seem only like a cheap tricks, whether in a game or a film or a book. Include some puzzles to be figured out, and I'm a fan.

Re: Scary games - 06/29/17 07:47 PM

Gamenut, as far as I know, Big Fish has no intention of relocating to Kentucky. This article talks about how they will be moving to new headquarters in Seattle sometime next year. wave
Posted By: Gordon

Re: Scary games - 07/01/17 06:49 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. I am SSSOOO tried of "Your (put in your favorite relative) is in trouble, and only you can save them. In most of them the player has to do a plethora of things that have nothing to do with the story line, just to find the key to the gate, or door. I like puzzles just as much as the next player, but "Jeez" people, cut out the puzzles that don't move the story along. Having to go "5 Scenes back" just to retrieve something that should have been available when you were first there gets a bit tedious.
Posted By: Gordon

Re: Scary games - 07/01/17 08:14 PM

While we are on the subject, What would be your top 3 "Spookiest, Creepiest, Nightmareiest" game ever? This has probably been covered before, but I forget. I used to have a good memory, but I forget when that was.

Re: Scary games - 07/01/17 11:12 PM

Among my favorites are Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek and Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood, along with Mystery Case Files: Escape from Ravenhearst and True Fear: Forsaken Souls. I also liked Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker and Shiver: Poltergeist.

Re: Scary games - 07/02/17 02:24 AM

Me, too, Marian!

Re: Scary games - 07/02/17 02:27 AM

I would add Dire Grove: Sacred Grove.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Scary games - 07/02/17 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Gordon
I like puzzles just as much as the next player, but "Jeez" people, cut out the puzzles that don't move the story along. Having to go "5 Scenes back" just to retrieve something that should have been available when you were first there gets a bit tedious.

Having to run back and forth across the gameworld isn't exactly a "puzzle" though. And there's the other extreme, where the game seems to be one cut scene after another, constantly taking control away from you.

As for the spookiest games, maybe the first Dire Grove -- the one that was developed by Big Fish. Or MCF: 13th Skull. Other than that, I'd have to think about it.

Re: Scary games - 07/02/17 05:40 AM

Boy, do I agree with that. Using "make work" to try to make a shallow game last longer and seem more involving doesn't work. We all see it for what it is.
Posted By: Sparkle

Re: Scary games - 07/09/17 06:14 PM

I'm currently playing "Mystery Tales: The House of Others CE". It's pretty scary. The missing person is someone from a ghosthunters type reality show. So, it's more contemporary in them. Give the demo a try if you haven't already played it.

Re: Scary games - 07/09/17 08:23 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community