GB HOMEPAGE

Key to your own apartment?

Posted By: Laurette

Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 01:24 AM

Didn't know where to post this, but... Has anybody noticed in quite a few games, the hero/whatever has to find a key to get out of their own home? Never heard of this - why lock yourself in and not others out?

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 01:31 AM

Are they really locked in? Or do they want to find their key so they don't lock themselves out after they leave.
Posted By: Susie07

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 02:18 AM

Hi, Laurette!

I was going to post exactly the same thing grin ! I just played a demo where the character needed a key to get out of the house and I said to myself "who locks the door with a key from the inside?". That has also happened in a few other games I've played, so it seems to be a trend.

Susan
Posted By: Marian

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 02:57 AM

I have noticed this too in a couple of games I have played.

It's a good thing I don't analyze things too much as I would probably be disconcerted a lot. laugh
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 03:44 AM

Just on the serious side there are such doors that lock that way, one of the reasons you have doors that lock from the inside is if you have a small window near the door, if a burglar breaks the window, he still can't open the door without the key. The other reason I have heard why people install that type of lock is if they have a hyper-active kid and they don't want them to run out of the house.

But all said and done, it is funny that "One has to Search for the Key, don't they keep it in the same easy to find place"?
Posted By: Sparkle

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 12:30 PM

There's no reason to believe that there aren't doors without the sort of lock we're accustomed to. Without a latch on the inside, one would need a key to lock or open the door from either side. Since most developers seem to be located in Eastern Europe, perhaps such door locks are common there. Or perhaps auch locks were more common in the past. Just a thought.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Laurette
Didn't know where to post this, but... Has anybody noticed in quite a few games, the hero/whatever has to find a key to get out of their own home? Never heard of this - why lock yourself in and not others out?

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

They are called Double Cylinder Deadbolts and up until the last 5 years or so, I had them almost everywhere I lived. We have always left the key in the lock, which, even if you have a sidelight on your door that someone could reach in and then use the key, it is no different than having a locking knob with a handle. They used to be considered safer since you could remove the key, but after some people not being able to get out of their house due to a fire and the smoke making it difficult to find the key, some areas have building codes against that. It is not at all far fetched to require a key to leave your home. You aren't locking yourself in, you are locking others out.

Ana wave

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 02:33 PM

Very interesting information. Offhand I don't remember having seen anyone using a Double Cylinder Deadbolt before (apart from seeing it in games).

Thank you for starting this thread, Laurette. I have learned something from it. wave

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 04:40 PM

Hi, Marian!

I normally overlook most things while playing computer games, but if the lock is on the inside, how would you you re-lock the door after you leave the house or apartment? We're just too darn logical lol !

Susan

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 06:05 PM

A Double Cylinder Deadbolt locks on both sides. It really is a popular lock. grin

Normally they look like just a round lock, but here is a fancy Victorian one. One part goes inside, the other half goes outside.

Quote:
Double cylinder: deadbolt has a keyed cylinder on both sides of door; key required to unlock/lock from interior and exterior of door

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 06:15 PM

Thank you, Ana. Nice to get a visual. smile
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 07:43 PM

I have those locks on both my front and back doors. We leave the key near the front door but sometimes it is missing due to the cats.

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 08:43 PM

Hi, oldbroad!

So, do the cats hold you hostage until they tell you where the key is grin ?

Susan

Hi, Ana!

Even with a visual, I'm still confused lol ? Does unlocking the inside lock also unlock the outside lock, or do they work independently of each other?

I do like the concept because, as was already mentioned, if your door has a window and someone broke the window, they wouldn't be able to reach in and open the door.

Susan

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 09:19 PM

Susie, if you lock either side, it will lock both inside and out.
Posted By: Laurette

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 10:21 PM

Thanks, everyone for your interesting input. Never thought of the window near the door.

Happy 4th to all!

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 06/30/17 10:24 PM

You too, Laurette! I hope you have a pleasant and relaxing holiday. wave
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Key to your own apartment? - 07/01/17 01:33 AM

They sure do Susie but unfortunately never when it's time to go to work.

It is just one lock. Not an inside and an outside lock. One lock that opens with one key either from inside or outside.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community