GB HOMEPAGE

Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish

Posted By: Marian

Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 02:05 PM

Today's game for Club Members, tomorrow's game for all.

You can download Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition here.

Quote:
Eipix Entertainment proudly presents the next terrifying case of the classic series Mystery Case Files!

Lady Eleanor Codington, prominent friend of the Queen herself, has disappeared while renovating her family’s legendary estate. Explore the crumbling grounds of world-famous children’s author Gloria Codington for clues. A towering black mirror may reveal a secret, but gazing into its depths may bring more than just a few years of bad luck. Can you find Eleanor and escape the manor alive? Find out in this heart-pounding hidden-object puzzle adventure game!

Help Gordon seek and uncover the shocking truth of his ancestry! Restore the cursed mirror and seal Shade in it once again!
Replay your favorite HOPs and mini-games - and earn achievements!
Search for tons of magical mirror shards and morphing items!
Enjoy exclusive wallpapers, screensavers, music, concept art, and more!
Never get lost with the strategy guide!

As always, please remember to come back and tell us what you think.

Happy gaming! sherlock turkey
Posted By: Susie07

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 03:23 PM

Hi, Marian!

Thanks! I'm downloading the demo right now.

Susan

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 03:25 PM

I hope you like it. smile
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 03:34 PM

Thanks, Marian!

Last years was the first one I missed. I hope the reviews are good and then I'll download tomorrow!
Posted By: Penny Lane

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 03:40 PM

I just downloaded. I have a lot to do today so I won't get to the game probably until tomorrow. I hope it's worth the wait! thanksgiving turkey cornucopia
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 03:44 PM

Thanks for the update.. looking forward to some reviews on this one... hope they are better than last year.. I too did not get last years game.
Posted By: Tally Ho

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 03:48 PM

I had two game credits set aside just for this. smile

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 03:52 PM

Good planning, Tally Ho. smile
Posted By: connie

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 04:20 PM

Thanks Marian. smile
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 04:35 PM

I took a pass on last years game too. I hope this one is better! I loved the old ones like Dire Grove and the early ones.
Posted By: JKEerie

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 05:19 PM

I don't want them to revert to the format of the earlier games where hidden objects were the emphasis. Last year's game was like that. The Mystery Case Files have evolved over the years with great stories, fun game play, interesting puzzles, etc. They spoiled us with Ravenhurst. Hopefully this game will be a reversion to the more recent games.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: JKEerie
I don't want them to revert to the format of the earlier games where hidden objects were the emphasis. Last year's game was like that. The Mystery Case Files have evolved over the years with great stories, fun game play, interesting puzzles, etc. They spoiled us with Ravenhurst. Hopefully this game will be a reversion to the more recent games.

I believe you are referring to Mystery Case Files: Rewind, which was released earlier this year and had an emphasis on hidden objects. I don't know if they plan anything else like that or not, but today's MCF release is definitely a HOPA.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 05:39 PM

Hi, Marian!

I'm going to play the demo later on today. So as not to clutter up the board with another post, I want to add that I bought and played "MCF: Rewind" earlier this year and enjoyed it for what it was ... a throwback to the original games. It was a novelty but not one that I'd like to see repeated lol .

Susan

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 05:41 PM

I'm thinking that Mystery Case Files: Rewind was probably a one-off in terms of MCF games, but I don't know that for sure. I feel similarly to the way you do - I enjoyed it for what it was, but I don't require a series of them. smile
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 07:27 PM

Thanks Marian. Lots of posts here already. Can't wait to hear what people think of the game. I'm still quite far behind on my MCF gaming. I haven't played the last 4 yet.
Posted By: JKEerie

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
I believe you are referring to Mystery Case Files: Rewind, which was released earlier this year and had an emphasis on hidden objects. I don't know if they plan anything else like that or not, but today's MCF release is definitely a HOPA.

Well there you go. I have no sense of time anymore. The days, weeks, months and now years just seem to blend into one mass of time. lol

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/20/18 08:02 PM

I know what you mean, JKEerie. grin

I looked to see when Mystery Case Files: Rewind was released and it came out in June. smile

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/21/18 05:21 PM

Hi, Marin!

I played a bit of the demo last night and enjoyed it. Since I haven't finished the game I'm currently playing, I'll wait until Saturday to see if BF has a good sale. If not, I'll use 2 Game Club Credits to pick it up.

Susan

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/21/18 05:46 PM

I seem to remember Big Fish having a good Thanksgiving sale last year, so let's hope it's the same for this year. smile
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/25/18 01:50 AM

Agreed, Draclvr. Dire Grove set a high bar to meet. I did like Black Veil and the three Ravenhursts (Unlocked, Key and Return), but otherwise, they have been disappointing. Still, I'll check out Countess as a Demo and decide then.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/25/18 09:22 AM

I just got this one - in the sale - plus the new "The Legacy" game happydance

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/25/18 03:32 PM

Mad happydance

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/25/18 04:24 PM

I'm looking forward to opinions on the game! I am avoiding spending the money till I hear it's worth it. I am not a club member for a long time.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/25/18 08:42 PM

Same here, Ana. Haven't been a club member for a long time. Very much looking forward to some GB opinions before I buy!

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/25/18 09:56 PM

I read the reviews at BF and it does not look promising...which is a shame!!

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/26/18 05:23 PM

Hui, Marian!

I did enjoy the demo and just picked up the game for $6.99 in today's BF Cyber Monday sale. I'm glad I held out because I was tempted to use 2 Game Club credits to pick it up last week in the BOGO sale, but couldn't find another CE I wanted. I won't pay more than $7.99 for a CE, so I passed on the weekend sale of 55% off retail. I didn't realize I had so much willpower lol !

Susan

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/26/18 05:26 PM

Good for you, Susie07 !!

[ Don't know how much I've got when it comes down to it, either laugh ]

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/26/18 05:34 PM

Susan, will wonders never cease! lol

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/26/18 07:54 PM

Hi, Mad and Marian!

I guess procrastination does pay off because I kept thinking there would be a better deal down the road, and there was! I even surprised myself that I didn't cave <VBG>.

Susan

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/27/18 04:56 PM

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/28/18 05:18 PM

Well, I just finished the main game and the bonus chapter.

Did I like it? Yes. Am I okay with spending two game credits for it? Yes; I believe it is important to support BFG and Eipix. Was I overwhelmed and swept away? No; but that may be because after playing a zillion games, the player is bound to become somewhat jaded by the repetition.

It didn't really feel like part of the Mystery Case File series, only that there was the usual call from the 'Queen' asking the detective for some help. That's okay.

It does have a coherent storyline, something I feel is very important in a game of this type. The graphics are gorgeous, something we all have become inured to, which is too bad. The artists are to be highly commended. As well as the oft-forgotten sound folks. It's easy to ignore the music and sound effect; they were great. The voice acting was good too; we take the voices for granted when they are right; only to complain when they are corny and poorly done.

So in a nutshell - they put a lot of high-quality work into this production; I would say flawless. With all the hundreds of games in this genre, originality is very difficult to achieve; and it's easy for me to say I've been-there-done-that all before. That's my only disappointment.

My recommendation? Play it! It's one of the better selections out there.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/28/18 05:21 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments about the game, Tally Ho. I haven't picked up the game yet but now most certainly will the next time there's a good sale. wave

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/29/18 03:40 AM

Thanks, Tally Ho! I'll pass on the game. I am looking for the extraordinary game with the Rube-Goldberg puzzles. I don't have more than an hour a week to play a game and I need it to really stand out. I appreciate your comments!

Ana wave

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/29/18 09:28 AM

Thanks Tally Ho 🙂

After reading your comments I was very glad I had bought the game !!

Cheers.

Mad 👍👍
Posted By: connie

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 11/29/18 12:39 PM

Thanks Tally Ho, I may wait for SE on this one. wave

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/01/18 05:40 PM

Hi, Tally Ho!

Thanks for your review, and I agree with a lot of your points. I've been playing on and off since the beginning of the week (I picked it up for $6.99 during BFG's one-day sale) and, for the most part, enjoying it.

One thing I do find frustrating is the fact that some of the puzzles just pop up with no explanation or information about what we're supposed to do, so I've been pretty well solving them by "hit and miss". Even after solving a couple of them, I still had no idea what I just did or why I did it lol ! There was one puzzle on a staircase (with dominoes) near the beginning of the game, and I had to consult the Guide. Even with the solution staring me in the face, I still didn't understand the logic of how they arrived at the solution. I always enjoy the Super Puzzles, though, because they are challenging, fun and well thought out.

Susan

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/01/18 06:34 PM

Ana, what are Rube-Goldberg puzzles?

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/01/18 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Susie07

I've been pretty well solving them by "hit and miss". Even after solving a couple of them, I still had no idea what I just did or why I did it lol !
I frequently have this same experience.

Even with the solution staring me in the face, I still didn't understand the logic of how they arrived at the solution.
This situation makes me crazy and sometimes ruins games for me.

Sorry - I just cannot get the quote thing right. My replies are inside your quote.

Posted By: 8dognight

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/01/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Tally Ho
Well, I just finished the main game and the bonus chapter.

Did I like it? Yes. Am I okay with spending two game credits for it? Yes; I believe it is important to support BFG and Eipix....
It does have a coherent storyline, something I feel is very important in a game of this type. The graphics are gorgeous, something we all have become inured to, which is too bad. The artists are to be highly commended. As well as the oft-forgotten sound folks. It's easy to ignore the music and sound effect; they were great. The voice acting was good too; we take the voices for granted when they are right; only to complain when they are corny and poorly done. So in a nutshell - they put a lot of high-quality work into this production; I would say flawless....My recommendation? Play it! It's one of the better selections out there.

Okay, Tally Ho, you convinced me. I'm buying.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/01/18 11:17 PM

Hi, oldbroad!

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
Originally Posted By: Susie07

I've been pretty well solving them by "hit and miss". Even after solving a couple of them, I still had no idea what I just did or why I did it lol !
I frequently have this same experience.

Even with the solution staring me in the face, I still didn't understand the logic of how they arrived at the solution.
This situation makes me crazy and sometimes ruins games for me.

Sorry - I just cannot get the quote thing right. My replies are inside your quote.

Maybe the reason I've lost track of the story and forgotten the original goal is that I've only been playing for a little while every day confused ! I am enjoying it, but it has a different feel than the other Mystery Case Files games.

I love puzzles, but I like to understand what needs to be done to solve them. That domino puzzle on the staircase still has me stumped because I have no clue how they arrived at the solution.

Susan

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/02/18 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Winfrey
Ana, what are Rube-Goldberg puzzles?

Rube-Goldberg are mechanical puzzles that are a series of complicated steps you need to do that have a domino effect to solve something that could have been easily done. The door puzzles that MCF series is noted for fall under that category. Here is an example 1 and example 2.

It's one of my favorite things that set the games apart from others.

Ana wave

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/02/18 04:50 AM

The Rube-Goldberg puzzles are what keep me coming back to these MCF games!

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/02/18 01:37 PM

Ahhhyes, thanks Ana! I agree I loved those puzzles... and I agree Drac that is what kept me playing and enjoying MCF games. We expect a lot from MCF too bad they have not been able to keep up the high quality of the game!

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/02/18 08:36 PM

I'm just playing #14 Broken Hour now and I like it quite a bit.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/03/18 03:13 PM

Regarding the 'Rube Goldberg" puzzles -

I also look forward to them. They're a bit like your brain going to the gym. laugh

I was a little disappointed to see the big complex puzzles dumbed-down in this game;
the developers probably listened to a few complaints that they were 'oooh too hard.'
My suggestion to the developers: Ignore the whiners and listen to the praise. Keep the good puzzles coming.
Posted By: 8dognight

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/03/18 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Thanks, Tally Ho! I'll pass on the game. I am looking for the extraordinary game with the Rube-Goldberg puzzles. I don't have more than an hour a week to play a game and I need it to really stand out. I appreciate your comments!

Ana wave

I always am looking for those, too. MCF: Rewind had them but I couldn't stand the endless HOs in the bulk of this high-concept retro game even though I loyally bought it, largely for the super puzzles and to an extent for the snarky characters.

BTW, Jenny100 told me one time in no uncertain terms that super puzzles are not Rube-Goldberg puzzles. I forget the reasoning. I thought maybe it had to do with unspoken trademark or copyright concerns but she did distinguish the two puzzle types on some other basis.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/03/18 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Tally Ho
Regarding the 'Rube Goldberg" puzzles -

I was a little disappointed to see the big complex puzzles dumbed-down in this game;
the developers probably listened to a few complaints that they were 'oooh too hard.'
My suggestion to the developers: Ignore the whiners and listen to the praise. Keep the good puzzles coming.

Or perhaps they could have an easy mode to help those who need it along and let the rest of us have a challenge.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/03/18 05:12 PM

Thank you, Tally Ho! The "dumbing down" of so many of these games is why I play very few of them anymore. That's a great suggestion, Winfrey.

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/03/18 11:22 PM

I enjoy the varied difficulty levels in game puzzles but have to admit I prefer not to have mind bogglingly difficult ones in Casuals.

I play a Casual as a relaxation and not a brain draining exercise lol

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/04/18 12:32 AM

That's why it would be nice to be able to choose your puzzle difficulty - to please all of us! Probably asking too much!

Re: Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition - New HOPA on Big Fish - 12/04/18 04:38 PM

I imagine so, Draclvr !! lol lol
© 2024 GameBoomers Community