GB HOMEPAGE

Adobe Flash Player

Posted By: Reenie

Adobe Flash Player - 07/11/20 08:26 PM

I have a question for those who are well connected with Big Fish:

Why is BF still using Adobe Flash Player to show preview clips of their games? This software was known to be easily hacked, and the creators of it announced they would abandon the maintenance of it themselves, at the end of last year. Our IT people stripped it from every computer in the office before the end of last year and we all took it off our home computers. Two of the games I play on line migrated to another software platform and reformatted their game play accordingly.

Yet, BF still is using AFP six months after Adobe stopped protecting users against hackers. This means that, if I want to check out a game's preview video (as I just did this morning) to see if I might like to buy it, I can no longer do that. Since I don't buy games without taking a look at them first, this will put a major kink in my years-long patronage of BF (I have played close to 600 games from their site).
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Adobe Flash Player - 07/11/20 08:35 PM

Not that I blame you Reenie, but you can still download the Demo, I know it is a Longer process than just viewing the online video, but personally I never found those videos very helpful in whether I decide to buy a game or not.. And yes, BF has to get off their butt and make the switch.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Adobe Flash Player - 07/11/20 09:19 PM

Reenie, you and I both have Adobe Flash Player on our brain today. Earlier I posted a question in the Tech board about it, which Starcom answered.

Aren't only the OLD games on Big Fish still having the Flash Player previews?

Also, according to what I've read, the Adobe support doesn't stop until the end of this year.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Adobe Flash Player - 07/11/20 09:30 PM

Starcom, Big Fish made the switch to no-Flash-Player videos some time ago. Yes, oldbroad, it's only the older games on Big Fish that still use Flash Player in their previews. None of the newer games use Flash Player in their videos. Either way, for me it is not a big deal. There are also previews/walkthroughs of just about every Big Fish HOPA on YouTube, which you can view if you want to watch some videos of any particular game. Given this fact, I don't see how what you describes presents a problem at all. It's very easy to see what a game is like based on what you see on YouTube (and I often don't even view the video preview on Big Fish prior to purchase as I don't think it is all that helpful - if at all- in deciding whether to buy or not buy something anyway).

Adobe Flash Support ends on December 31st; you can read about it here.

Reenie, just a heads up that the new Five BN came out today: Legendary Tales: Stolen Life CE. There is an announcement thread about it here on the forum.

Posted By: Starcom

Re: Adobe Flash Player - 07/12/20 12:05 AM

Thanks Marian for the update on BF vs Flash vs HTML5 usage, or at least that is what I believe is being used now. Anyway, good to know we no longer have to worry about BF.
Speaking of HTML5, is this what is being used? or is it something different?
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Adobe Flash Player - 07/12/20 01:25 AM

Yep, that is what I'll do. What I am saying is that some games were so "purple-smoked" or "sneering-demoned" that is was easy to determine right from the little clip that I would not like that game. lol It saved a lot of time. Yes, I can download the game and start playing, then decide whether to bail. Just takes more time.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback!
Posted By: Marian

Re: Adobe Flash Player - 07/12/20 01:47 AM

I don't know what's being used now, Starcom.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community