GB HOMEPAGE

What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two

Posted By: Marian

What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/01/21 04:32 PM

This is a new thread so that we can continue our What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? This will be part two. The other thread is quite long so I have started a new one.

You can find Part One of the discussion here.
Posted By: Reenie

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now - Part Two - 01/01/21 10:01 PM

I'm playing the latest Ameranthine Voyage (Legacy of the Guardians). I have played seven other games in this series and been happy with them, some more than others. (As usual, there is no continuity of subject with previous Ameranthine episodes, so you can play the games in any order you like.)

This game is good, and if you play it on "Hard," the mini-games are suitably pesky for me. The graphics are more than decent, as usual, and the HO scenes are not unduly obscure, but I am not feeling as engaged with the game as I have been with others in this series. I find I just don't care about the characters, nor their quest.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now - Part Two - 01/01/21 10:34 PM

Thank you for your thoughts on the game, Reenie. I haven't played this game. I have only played three games in this series so far. Good to read your description of it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now - Part Two - 01/02/21 05:47 AM

Thanks. Yes, I enjoyed Burning Sky, Tree of Life and Winter Neverending in this series far more than the new Legacy episode. In fact, Winter Neverending is one of my Top 20 Casuals, and it was an older game. I've already replayed it.
Posted By: Mad

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now - Part Two - 01/05/21 08:52 PM

Yesterday, rather late in the day for this seasonable title, I started "Christmas Stories : The Christmas Tree Forest" but really didn't like it at all ....
So I uninstalled it and started "Bridge to Another World : Secrets of the Nutcracker" instead - which I found MUCH more enjoyable bravo12
And I've played another little chunk of that today happydance12

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now - Part Two - 01/08/21 04:26 PM

Good to hear your update, Mad. What was it about Christmas Tree Forest that put you off? I haven't played it.

I just finished the Mystery Tales: The Other Side CE. Before that, I played the Nevertales: Hearthbridge Cabinet CE. Enjoyed them both. I am easy to please these days, I guess!
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now - Part Two - 01/08/21 08:34 PM

Somehow I missed your post Mad. I'm also curious as to what you didn't like about Christmas Stories: The Christmas Tree Forest. I have not purchased it yet but it's on my list. Did you finish the game or dislike it so much that you uninstalled without finishing?

Since I last posted, I have only finished Dream Chronicles 2: The Eternal Maze. I resorted to a game guide to finish up the final maze. If my XP and Win 10 didn't share this monitor, I probably would have tried the maze another time (I had found most of the stuff I needed) before consulting the guide but did not feel like wasting any more time on it.

I also started Amaranthine Voyage 4: The Obsidian Book. I'm not sure about this game yet, though I've played it twice now. I guess at the moment, I'm neutral on it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now - Part Two - 01/08/21 08:37 PM

It sounds to me like Mad uninstalled Christmas Tree Forest prior to finishing the game.

Are you saying that this is your third playthrough of Obsidian Book, oldbroad?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now - Part Two - 01/08/21 08:53 PM

Sounds that way to me too Marian. (About Mad not finishing the game.)

No. Sorry. This is the first time I am playing Obsidian Book. I meant I've had two play sessions with the game so far but have still not formed any opinion of it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/08/21 09:27 PM

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/09/21 12:23 PM

Yes. I uninstalled "Christmas Stories : The Christmas Tree Forest" without finishing it.
I didn't like the type of graphics it employed or the type of puzzles either - but, of course, both could well suit lots of other people !!

And after all, I'm not bound to like every Casual game I play, although I do like most grin

EDIT :

I also meant to say that the more I've played of the Nutcracker game the more I've liked it bravo

[Not had too much time to play but made up for it today.]

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/09/21 07:14 PM

Thanks Mad. And of course you're not bound to like every game you play, but tis a shame anyway. frown

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Nutcracker game though! happydance12

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/12/21 01:32 AM

I'm playing Secret City: Mysterious Collection CE. I bought it because there was a Sale and because I had enjoyed a couple of the earlier Secret City games (London Calling was pretty decent). This one feels like they phoned it in. The artwork is minimal and jerky (sorta like those TV cartoons where they have to show the characters running but only draw them from the waist up so they don't have to spend all that time/money animating their legs). Everything is in Disney primary colors, like they think their audience is a third grader still playing with crayons. Aside from a couple of good puzzles (only if you play on Hard setting), there isn't much to maintain your interest. As for an original story line or any attempt at characterization, fuggedaboudit. It is a shame. I don't usually pan a game this seriously. Still, there are lots of good games out there, so I'll finish this one and then go looking for them.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/12/21 02:09 AM

I have the game too, Reenie, so I will get a chance to see for myself. You are right, though - there are plenty more games out there! smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/13/21 03:18 AM

I was digging into a bookshelf today and found a stash of CDs of games. Wasn't sure they'd still load (from 2009), but I put in House of 1000 Doors (Family Secrets) and it booted right up. What a joy to replay this game. It is from a time when artwork was realistic. Wood looks like wood, with "grain," and isn't blue or orange. In fact, there is none of that candy-colored art and purple or green smoke that are so ubiquitous in contemporary games. Every scene is gorgeous. You can choose Easy or Hard for each puzzle, so anyone can find their level of challenge. I had forgotten how good these early games were. I found about a dozen and will happily play my way through them as the days go forward. Yay!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/13/21 03:32 AM

That's great, Reenie! I am planning on replaying House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets very soon. It's been so long since I played it that I am sure that it will seem like a new game. Glad you are playing it and have more good early games to look forward to! happydance

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/13/21 03:34 AM

Reenie, I have all 4 House of 1000 Doors games and haven't yet played any of them. The first 3 I have are also on discs. Good to know they still work. I've tried quite a few of the old Casual discs in Windows 7 (not in 10 yet which I'm assuming you are using) and haven't found any yet that didn't work.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/13/21 09:54 PM

I am enjoying this old game, so far. I have the others in the series as BF downloads.

The game is excellent and I am happy playing it because it is so multi-layered and challenging, but I will say three things:
One: There is no Map. Maybe other people don't use them as much as I do, but they save a lot of running around. This game involves constant to-and-fro, when something you find at "Point A" has to be used at "Point F," and the paths of travel can be long ~ especially if there is an elevator sequence to repeat again and again. It is realistic, if you actually were the investigator on the scene; you'd have to slog it out. Still, I wouldn't mind a fast-transport option. :-)
Two: The HO scenes, while very well rendered, include many objects that are exceedingly small. For my old eyes, these objects are hard to find and I have had to get a Clue to find many of them. (Things like acorns and paper clips, drawn to scale.)
Three: The background "music" is comprised of a single, short theme that repeats endlessly. In these older games, you can't turn off the music apart from the sound. After hours of play, you may be trying to not hear it.

Edit: Well, ahem, I have to correct Item 1 above: There IS a map. I just didn't see it because I don't consult the Guide to read what to do. (Kinda spoils the game to be led by the nose.) Anyway, if you want a Map, find your way to the Guide and open it.
Posted By: Sparkle

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/13/21 11:44 PM

I’m currently playing “Mystery Case Files: Black Crown”. Not sure how I feel about it. The story is a bit odd, imo. As much as I like a game with plenty of locations to explore, this game has more than seem necessary. There’s a lot of going back and forth to use inventory items. I’ve found the map to be essential. On the other hand, there are plenty of good puzzles for those who enjoy them. And HOS are challenging enough. The game is not at all what I’d expect from the MCF series though. Maybe that’s why the story seems odd to me. All in all, the game is a nice, long diversion. That’s about it for me,

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/14/21 12:10 AM

This is great information, Sparkle and Reenie. The drawbacks you mention with 1000 Doors, Reenie, I know I'd be okay with, but good to mention it.

I haven't played Black Crown, Sparkle. Thanks for the feedback about it. Much appreciated.

I just finished Chimeras: Inhuman Nature CE. It was not a very long game, nor was it anything unusual or different from what we have seen already, but it suited me just fine for the several hours that I played it. I think I was in the mood for something simple and relatively uncomplicated.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/14/21 06:15 PM

I have 4 x House of 1000 Doors games - and have played 3 of them so far.

It's a series I do really like thumbsup
Posted By: Tally Ho

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/14/21 06:23 PM

So - earlier this week I finally finished the Lost Lands series of seven games. I can't say enough good about them! They did everything right as far as I am concerned. The stories, the interface, the graphics, the music, and the total attention to detail. The only downside is, now I am spoiled by such superior quality that I get dissatisfied with other games that don't measure up. I'll get over it, but my admiration for the 5BN team will never go away.

This morning I played the entire main game of Mystery of the Ancients, Curse of the Black Water. Start to finish in one sitting! I don't think I have ever done that before. (A short bonus chapter yes, but never the primary game.) It's a good game to be sure, but I am guilty of thinking "5BN wouldn't have done it that way." Unfair, and as I said, will get over it. Maybe. Now it's time to log on to BBO and play Bridge.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/14/21 06:27 PM

Tally Ho, if you haven't already, try the Darkness and Flame and New York Mysteries series from 5 BN. The games in this series are all very good, too. I can post the order that the games should be played, if you would like.

Lost Lands is also very replayable, as there is so much to them that after a few months I don't remember a lot of the details.

And yes, Mystery of the Ancients is a really good series, but most games will fall short if compared to 5 BN - I agree with you there.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/14/21 08:55 PM

I played at least one of the New York Mysteries, and liked it. Wasn't familiar with the developer at the time.

And haven't heard of the Darkness and Flames. Would appreciate knowing the order they came out, thanks.

Just looked to see; Lantern of Souls and The Outbreak (don't remember that one at all)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/15/21 08:41 PM

Here is the series in order of when the games were released. Both Collector's Editions and standard games are listed.

Darkness and Flame

There are also New York Mysteries: Secrets of the Mafia and New York Mysteries: High Voltage (mentioning it just in case you missed one of those)

Another series by 5 BN consists of the Legacy games:

The Legacy: Prisoner

The Legacy: Forgotten Gates

The Legacy: The Tree of Might

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/15/21 09:03 PM

I haven't played The Legacy games yet so don't know if it matters but I think the order is (1) Forgotten Gates, (2) Prisoner, and (3) The Tree of Might. think

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/15/21 09:38 PM

Yes, you are correct about the order of release, oldbroad. I too am not sure whether the order matters in this instance. I haven't played any of the Legacy games yet, but they were very well received.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/15/21 09:50 PM

I thought the fourth game in D&F, Enemy in Reflection, was the best of the series. It was like they hit their stride with that one. The mini-games were original and creative, the atmosphere was natural as opposed to a lot of purple smoke and it was the most engaging. The others were too easy to be fun; meant for younger players.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/15/21 11:03 PM

I have to say that I did not find the other games in the Darkness and Flame series too easy, nor did I think they were geared towards younger players. Maybe that's just me.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/15/21 11:25 PM

The three Legacy games are three of my absolute favourite Casuals and I've played all of them three times now.
And just talking about them makes me want to play them again !! grin

(They don't need to be played in any specific order.)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/15/21 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mad
The three Legacy games are three of my absolute favourite Casuals and I've played all of them three times now.
And just talking about them makes me want to play them again !! grin

(They don't need to be played in any specific order.)

So glad to know that they are three of your favorite casuals! thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/16/21 08:28 PM

So I got the trial version of Legacy Forgotten Gates - that's a keeper!

(Shades of Stargate 🤩 )

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/16/21 08:31 PM

Great, Tally Ho! You really should check out the Darkness and Flame series too if you haven't already.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/16/21 09:36 PM

If you like Forgotten Gates, you'll also like the third in this series, Tree of Might. Happy gaming!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/17/21 04:58 PM

All three Legacy games are "quality", Tally Ho thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/18/21 04:21 PM

I just finished Paranormal Files: The Trap of Truth CE. I thought it was quite a good game, with a few puzzles that I hadn't seen much before if at all.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/19/21 06:52 AM

This morning, I started replaying the oldie, Mystery Trackers: Black Isle. This is one of the games I recently found in my closet, on DVD. It is simply fabulous! Top notch design, creativity and follow-through. It is intelligently crafted, the sound effects add tremendously to the feel of the game, all the artwork is realistic, the puzzles are challenging as is the creative use of Inventory and there are no pop-ups to break the Fifth Wall. The only downside is the frequency of HO scenes, the fact that some of them respawn and the very small size of some of the objects. It is like they don't want you to be able to find the items. ha ha

The game involves a LOT of running around, back and forth, revisiting sites repeatedly. When you find a piece of Inventory, your next move invariably is to run off to the furthest away location to use it. You can transport, in a general way, to the three main locations of the site, but there still is a lot of shagging around involved with repeat visits. It isn't one of those games where you enter a location, do a couple things to be done there, and then go dashing off somewhere else with that scene in your rear view mirror. You'll return again and again to work things out.

With this game, you definitely need to take extensive and thorough notes or buy the CE version with an onboard Walkthrough. I am a serious note-taker, but I have lost track of what I was doing or where that tiny piece of inventory needed to be used ~ multiple times.

Still, I'm enjoying the game because it obviously was a labor of love by the team that created it. It stands far above most of the HOAs I've played in the last couple of years. They all seem primitive and shallow in comparison, with their garish colors and simple puzzles. Now that I have found it again, I know I'll want to replay this game yet again after a few months. :-D

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/20/21 05:00 PM

Started "Lost Lands : The Golden Curse CE" today - and it's lookin' good thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/20/21 06:04 PM

Finished the first two Legacy games, and about to start the third, "Tree of Might."

They went seemingly quickly, for a couple of reasons. First, I don't think they were designed to be as long as the Lost Land games, and the Bonus games are particularly short; and second, I have gotten so accustomed to 5 BN's style, that I spent far less time trying to find morphing and collectible objects and get on with the business of the game (which is also somewhat predictable due to experience.)

None of that is a complaint mind you - these are beautifully produced games, and they all have what I have said so many times is the most important element in a game - a good story line.

OK - enough blathering; let's get back to playing.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/20/21 06:38 PM

That's how I play, Tally Ho. I ignore morphing objects (unless they are vital to game progress) and don't "collect" items either unless they, too, are vital.

But story IS important to me. And I feel the Legacy games have good, solid, if maybe more old fashioned in style, stories yay

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/20/21 08:38 PM

Oh - Surprise!! I started Tree of Might, and found my name as player already there. And I was into the game a few scenes. Apparently I downloaded the Demo when the game first came out; and never bought it. Well, not remembering the beginning would be a problem, so created a new player and started fresh. Glad I did!

(Noticed that sometimes in the dialogue, they refer to the "Tree of Power" - send for the continuity editor 🤣 )

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/22/21 09:27 AM

I finished Amaranthine Voyage: The Obsidian Book a few days ago but haven't yet started another regular casual game. This game was just okay. I am playing a (more or less) straight hog Amazing Adventures: The Caribbean Secret and also a Match 3 game, Cradle of Persia. I lost in level 61 though and have to restart the game. Argh shocked.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/22/21 08:06 PM

You have to restart the whole game if you lose one level ?? After having played 61 levels ??

Aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh eek

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/22/21 08:50 PM

I remember Cradle of Persia as being one challenging game. I never made it through that one. Maybe I will give it another whirl at some point.

I just replayed Paranormal Files: The Trap of Truth CE. I think that is the first time I ever played a HOPA two times in a row with no other game in between. I decided to play the game again so that I could try to get all the collectibles and obtain all the pieces to a jigsaw puzzle you can put together in the Secret Room bonus content. I had fun with it. I also wanted to solve a couple of puzzles that I had skipped the first time.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/23/21 09:54 AM

So, I went to restart Cradle of Persia and it gave me the option to "continue". I clicked it thinking it would then tell me I had to restart but it only kicked me back to level 52 so I played that for awhile even though I could have completed it at least one time, but I was trying to build up some resources. I cannot keep enough lives though so I'm sure I'll run into trouble again soon. yes

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/23/21 05:50 PM

Good Luck, oldbroad.

[I will still definitely be giving this one a miss, myself !!!! Phew scared]

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/23/21 06:57 PM

Congratulations on getting so far in the game, oldbroad! bravo

I just finished the Mystery Trackers: Fatal Lesson CE. Not sure what's up next.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/24/21 09:50 PM

I just finished replaying Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town, and now am starting the Bonus Game. This game by Viva Media, from about ten years ago, has all the excellent and realistic artwork that I enjoy in a game. In fact, the graphics are superb throughout and the environmental sounds support and augment each scene. There are no pop-ups and no purple smoke, but you can look for Morphing Objects if that is your thing.

At a few points in the game, you interact with other characters, which enhances the sense of reality. I've gotten a little bored with games in which my character wanders around totally alone the entire time, or if there are other characters in the game, they are strictly eye candy and you have no meaningful interactions with them.

The game is deliciously complex, with a multi-stranded story line that follows diverging threads of inquiry all the way through and features some creative puzzles in a wide variety of styles. A few are real stinkers. Nothing is timed. The HO scenes can be a challenge due to their realism (if you are looking for a cork, it will be a small brownish item, not a garishly yellow object the size of a coconut).

It is one my Top 20 favorites in the casual games genre, so I was delighted to have found it in the cache of CDs in my cabinet. I'm working my through them all, happily.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/24/21 09:57 PM

Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town is a terrific game. The developer is Five BN (perhaps Viva Media was the publisher of your CD version?).

I definitely recommend it. wave

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/24/21 10:11 PM

Hm. I actually have that game downloaded on my Win 10 computer waiting to be played.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/24/21 10:43 PM

Marian - I had played the demo of Paranormal Files: The Trap of Truth CE, and never bought it. Now I have, and that's what I am playing now. Not bad.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/25/21 12:10 AM

I am glad you like it, Tally Ho. If you don't compare it to Five BN, I thought it was entertaining. grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/25/21 12:21 AM

Yeah, the box doesn't say anything about 5BN, just Viva Media. Either way, terrific game. joy

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/26/21 08:11 AM

I started my replay of Dream Chronicles 3: The Chosen Child last night and tonight I started playing Living Legends 8: The Crystal Tear. It's been a while since I played the other Living Legends games but this one seems to be quite different, or is my memory just bad?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/26/21 03:22 PM

I haven't played The Crystal Tear yet so can't offer an opinion.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/26/21 09:02 PM

Actually, looking at game descriptions of the other 7 games, I guess it is just my bad memory. Not sure what I was thinking about. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/27/21 08:48 AM

Well, this time I made it through Level 61 of Cradle of Persia but with only seconds to spare, no power up bonuses left, and only 1 life to go into Level 62. scared lol

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/27/21 03:25 PM

I know the feeling! lol

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/27/21 06:27 PM

eek eek eek

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/29/21 12:19 AM

I'm playing through the two Awakening games, Goblin Kingdom and Skyward Castle. The box says they were written for WinXP/7/8, but they are playing just fine on Win10, using Compatability mode. I played these years ago, but just found the cases in a bookshelf. The games are a bit too cutesy and are dated (no character dialog, repetitive music track, etc.). I only rate them as being "so-so" but the mini-games are a challenge at times, so I'm happy.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/29/21 12:28 AM

Some I liked better than others, but I have found all of the Boomzap HOPAs to be good.

I finished the Grim Facade: Sinister Obsession CE last night. I enjoyed it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/30/21 03:00 PM

Just ordered two "Mystery of the Ancients" games I don't yet have - from the current Big Fish CE Sale. So one of those is likely to be my next play grin

Mud Water Creek and Black Dagger hamster hamster

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/30/21 03:12 PM

I enjoyed both of those games, Mad. happydance

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/30/21 05:07 PM

That's good to know, Marian, thank you dance

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/30/21 05:11 PM

I hope you like them, Mad. But you are certainly not obligated to do so! grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/31/21 08:40 PM

I'm sure I will, thanks, Marian.
Not that many Casuals disappoint me because that's what I I play them as .... "Casuals" .... and don't expect a full "Adventure" production.
So over the years very few have fallen by the wayside lol

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 01/31/21 10:10 PM

Very true for me too, Mad. wave

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/01/21 08:23 PM

Well, started "Mystery of the Ancients : Black Dagger" and am liking it grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/01/21 10:54 PM

Good to know! smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/03/21 09:24 AM

Made it to Level 92 in Cradle of Persia, lost all my lives with 1 lousy square left to remove from the board and got kicked all the way back to Level 52 again. hardwall

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/03/21 06:34 PM

I'm speechless, oldbroad crazy

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/03/21 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldbroad
Made it to Level 92 in Cradle of Persia, lost all my lives with 1 lousy square left to remove from the board and got kicked all the way back to Level 52 again. hardwall

I know that feeling too, unfortunately. Ouch! mad
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/04/21 04:09 AM

Is Cradle Of Persia a timed game?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/04/21 04:22 AM

It is a timed Match 3 game, yes, not a HOG type game.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/05/21 01:33 AM

I just finished playing Shiver: Poltergeist by Viva Media. This is another CD version game that I found in my cupboard and reloaded. It is an excellent game, created in the style of a long-play Adventure game. A refreshing improvement on so many contemporary HOAs.

The artwork is all realistic and the sound effects are terrific (rain, wind, lightning, running water, etc.) The game is alive: leaves blow in the wind, trees and grasses sway, debris drifts by, clouds morph as they cross the sky, torches flutter and create light patterns on the stone walls, etc. Somehow, the objects have weight in this game. This is how "adventure" games used to be. No "flat," candy-colored objects and not a sign of purple or green smoke.

It is a challenging game as well, with a lot to be done and a lot of room in which to do it. None of that enter a scene, do a few things and move on stuff. You spend some time re-examining and re-exploring as you wander around an island and its buildings, frequently backtracking. There are all the usual things to fix, assemble from scratch or create from found materials. It is SO much more immersive than recent games and I was so caught up in the environment that I was a little surprised to find the day sunny outside, when I turned off the game.

I loved it and am so glad I didn't toss it after finishing it all those years ago.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/05/21 02:01 AM

I loved Shiver: Poltergeist. I have played it twice and will probably play it again at some point.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/05/21 03:02 AM

I thought the same thing when I finished it today. Such a large game, so much to do, to figure out. joy

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/05/21 04:01 AM

I have Shiver: Poltergeist on disc also. Another one I haven't played yet.

It almost seems like I am having less time to play lately even though I am not doing anything more than I was before. Reading here about all these good sounding games that I have but have not played is making me crazy. I will never be able to play them all. shocked

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/05/21 02:04 PM

Oldbroad, I felt the same way. The end of March last year I started keeping a list of casual games as I played and finished them and that has made me feel a lot better. Looking at the list, I am now up to #100. This helps me feel like I have actually put a dent in my unplayed-games pile. grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/05/21 05:17 PM

You must have SO many, Marian. You are on top of all the Casual games. I have no "unplayed" games. When I buy one, I play it immediately. dance

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/05/21 07:25 PM

Yes, Reenie, I have enough casual games to sink the Titanic. I have been buying games from Big Fish for nearly 15 years now. scared

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/05/21 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Reenie
You must have SO many, Marian. You are on top of all the Casual games. I have no "unplayed" games. When I buy one, I play it immediately. dance

I have games I bought years ago (and of all genres, not just Casuals) that I haven't yet played.

But even so I will still opt to re-play a favourite lol

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/05/21 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Marian
Oldbroad, I felt the same way. The end of March last year I started keeping a list of casual games as I played and finished them and that has made me feel a lot better. Looking at the list, I am now up to #100. This helps me feel like I have actually put a dent in my unplayed-games pile. grin

Marian, since 2018 I've been having lists of games played, casual and adventure, and whether they are first time plays or replays. It went from 64 in 2018, to 96 in 2019, and back down to 64 in 2020. Not sure why though. duh

Those are combined totals, adventure and casual. I do have them broken down on my lists. Casuals go 29, 43, 39.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/09/21 12:14 AM

I just finished the latest Labyrinths of the World game, "Eternal Winter." I have played more than a dozen of the games in this series, with quite different reactions to each. Some have been good and there are two that I marked for possible Replay. A few that I bought and played fall in the middle range of quality, while some have been so uninspired that I bailed on the Demo.

I bought this last one without playing the Demo, and it ranks among the worst. Everything was wrong with it. Shallow characters, Disney-cartoon-type art work overburdened with saturated and completely unrealistic color rendering, all that multi-colored smoke obscuring each scene (does this save them from having to execute better art?), mini-games that were childishly easy (I played on the "Hard" setting) and/or nonsensical, no real story line.

In looking at my spreadsheet, only the LOTW games that were a couple of years old even got "Good" ratings. This is the first game in a very long time that I contemplated just bailing out of and unloading from my computer. I couldn't wait for it to end. It seems they have lost their way, and if they can't invest more effort into their games than this, I won't be drawn to future offers in this series. In fact, I'm going to take a jaded look at any games issued by Domini. Just my view. Others' may differ.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/09/21 01:16 AM

I appreciate your opinions on the game, Reenie. I haven't played it yet, but I probably will. Just not sure when.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/09/21 06:43 AM

Well, we can't love them all! lol

Tonight, I reloaded Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome, another of the old games I bought in CDs. It is compelling and adult. Amazing complexity, great attention to detail, excellent artwork, creative ideas and pesky, unusual puzzles that make you work. This is what captured my attention in casual games. I have really missed it in the contemporary HOA games.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/09/21 02:41 PM

Dorian Gray Syndrome is another one of the great games, for sure! I think I am probably overdue for a replay on that one. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/09/21 10:16 PM

Just finished the second Darkness and Flame (Missing Memories) - thanks again to Marian. 5BN quality all the way. They understand when they get it right, stick with it. Certain facets of the games get predictable, but that is absolutely no problem. I am still thoroughly enjoying their series.

When I started the first one, Born of Fire, I was somewhat unimpressed - and went on to play another game in the meantime; but came back for a second chance; glad I did!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/09/21 10:26 PM

I am so glad you are enjoying this series too, Tally Ho! smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/10/21 12:40 AM

Agreed that is a decent series. I've played four of them, and found Enemy in Reflection to be the best so far. Natural atmosphere, adult protagonist, fine graphics and creative (original) puzzles.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/10/21 05:44 AM

Mad, I had to look at BF to see when I joined. 2013. Prior to that, I bought their games in CD format from local retailers. It doesn't state at BF how many games I've bought from their web site, but I have over 600 games in my Excel database. There was a period of an entire year when I was recovering from a bad accident and spent most of my time in bed. Lots of reading and playing time.

My hubster reminded me that I had joined Big Fish a few years earlier but bailed out after a few years because I wasn't playing enough to warrant the monthly dues. A year later, I signed up again, but not for the monthly "dues." Not important, just wanted to be accurate.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/10/21 06:32 AM

I made it through Level 99 and then got kicked back to Level 52 (in my Match 3 game). Am back now at Level 71 with 6 lives and all my power ups. It does get a little easier when you repeat it over and over smashpc but my arm is killing me! lol

I finished Dream Chronicles 3 a few days ago and am in the bonus chapter of Living Legends. Still playing Amazing Adventures and also Mystery PI: The Lottery Ticket, another straight HOG. I don't usually play 2 straight HOGs at one time but thought I read the The Lottery Ticket used Flash so I took a look. Apparently it doesn't and I started playing it.

One of these days I'll get back to the Amaranthine Voyage series.

Well, I just finished Living Legends: The Crystal Tear. Just a so-so game IMO. I seem to remember liking the other games in the series much more. I truly didn't understand the story (which is me, I'm sure). There are some different puzzles but nothing I particularly liked. Most of the puzzles were pretty simple. The hardest puzzles were in the bonus chapter.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/10/21 04:52 PM

Old Broad, your determination with that Match3 game is admirable. I hope you get all the way soon!

I haven't tried Crystal Tear yet, so thanks for the heads up. Yeah, that Living Legends series is pretty uneven. I thought Bound by Wishes and Uninvited Guests were the two good ones. Have you played them?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/10/21 10:46 PM

Thanks Reenie. I just can't let the game go. wink

Yes, I've played all of the Living Legends games but it's been a long while and I don't really remember much about them except the music that is the same in all of them. I do seem to think I liked them all though. You might like Crystal Tear, I don't know, but it didn't quite do it for me. I seem to be in a gaming slump right now though. Sometimes my mood affects my gaming and sometimes the gaming affects my mood so...

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/11/21 12:25 AM

"I made it through Level 99 and then got kicked back to Level 52 (in my Match 3 game). Am back now at Level 71 with 6 lives and all my power ups. It does get a little easier when you repeat it over and over smashpc but my arm is killing me! "

oldbroad, I'm still speechless !!!! rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

And Reenie ....
I bought my first game from Big Fish at the beginning of June, 2010.
Prior to that I had only dabbled very spasmodically with casual type games and they were all on disks smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/12/21 07:40 PM

Same here, Mad. I was into adventure gaming in the beginning Myst, the Zorks, Gabriel Knight, you name it. I'll still buy a modern adventure game if it doesn't involve combat.

I never liked any arcade-platform games that are all about speed and reflexes (Asteroids, Tetris not to mention combat. As for Casuals, I thought they were for kids. I don't remember how I finally played a Casual, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Since then, I've played about one per week. I always have one loaded, to fill up the corners on my day, so to speak. I do prefer casuals with "substance" over ones that are just a series of Find-the-Object scenes, loosely tacked together with a weak story line.
Posted By: MsMercury

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/13/21 12:23 PM

Hi everyone, I'm playing the bonus chapter in Amaranthine Voyage: Legacy of the Guardians. Oldbroad, I love that series.

Mary hearts

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/13/21 03:15 PM

Nice to see you here, Mary, and thank you for the recommendation! smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/13/21 11:03 PM

I'll be starting Amaranthing Voyage: The Orb of Purity soon. (If I can ever stay away from the Match 3 game that AGAIN sent me back to 52 from 99. I just can't get 100!)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/13/21 11:06 PM

It takes a lot of fortitude (and possibly also masochism) to keep trying after that, oldbroad. scared

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/15/21 03:36 AM

I very much enjoy my Match 3 games but they are mainly kind and gentle ones devil

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/16/21 04:16 AM

woot woot woot

I finished Cradle of Persia!!

joy joy2 rah

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/16/21 06:07 AM

Congratulations, OldBroad. You are a determined soul. I'm happy for you. praise thumbsup
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/16/21 01:22 PM

oldbroad, that is awesome!!!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/16/21 02:14 PM

Congratulations!!! praise bravo
Posted By: connie

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/16/21 09:40 PM

Congrats oldbroad!!!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/16/21 10:04 PM

thanks

I was on pins and needles as I kept losing lives and power ups blush. Level 100 released the Genie and ended the game for me but I had read a review where the person wrote about level 100-115 (even though the Genie released at 100)? I was hoping that at least if I made it through 100 and then lost my lives that I would only be sent back to 100, rather than all the way to 52.

I had fun with the game though (mostly) lol.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/17/21 01:59 AM

Very Well Done, oldbroad !! bravo

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/17/21 11:28 PM

I started Eternal Journey: New Atlantis today. Another fine game from Viva. It is one of my favorites from the hundreds I've played. I bought it as a CD, something like ten years ago. Hubby had to get involved to make it run in Compatibility Mode, but I'm cruising happily now. These folks obviously were in love with their work because the sound and graphics are excellent, very atmospheric, just the right level of creepy and both the story and all the puzzles are imaginative. There are more HO scenes than I like, but that is OK. I'm really enjoying it!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/17/21 11:30 PM

Yes, Eternal Journey: New Atlantis is a game that I enjoyed very much. The developer is 5 BN and it sounds like the publisher of the CD version was Viva Media. I bought the Collector's Edition from Big Fish when the game was released. It's about time for a replay. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/18/21 01:01 AM

I have that game downloaded and ready to play on my Windows 7. If I remember when I go in there, maybe I will put it closer to the front of the long line.

I am currently playing Amaranthine Voyage: The Orb of Purity and must be at least half way through or more. I am enjoying this game more than the last two. It's pretty good.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/18/21 03:22 AM

I haven't played Orb of Purity yet - good to know that you like it!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/19/21 06:25 AM

In the throes of my charity work (year end accounts) so haven't had time for much game playing - except the little ones on my iPad 🙄
Getting withdrawal symptoms 🙃

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/19/21 01:58 PM

I applaud you for the charity work, Mad. Happily the casual games will wait patiently for you. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/20/21 10:42 PM

I finished Orb of Purity last night. It was marred by only one puzzle, second to the last one in the main game. I ended up skipping it. First, I wasn't sure I understood what the solution was supposed to look like. To me, it could have been 3 different ways, but I couldn't seem to even get to one of those 3 ways to eliminate the possibility or to see if it was correct. I tried it on two different nights and then skipped. I am getting much better at using that skip button lol. I just want to play. The whole game went smoothly up until then, which is what really bothers me. You get in a zone and then you get stopped cold. If they want to put hard puzzles in the game, they should be consistent in the game.

Okay, finished whining.

Today I started Dying for Daylight which I picked up with a free code that I won here at GameBoomers in December. The game had been discussed in some thread not long before that, so I went for it. I have played Episode 1 and I am liking it quite a lot!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/20/21 11:14 PM

There always seems to be at least one puzzle in these HOPA games that I end up getting frustrated with for one reason or another, even when I have decided that I am going to try very hard not to hit the skip button.

Everyone here enjoyed Dying for Daylight, as I recall. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/21/21 12:36 AM

Today I started Dying for Daylight which I picked up with a free code that I won here at GameBoomers in December. The game had been discussed in some thread not long before that, so I went for it. I have played Episode 1 and I am liking it quite a lot!

oldbroad, I smiled when you said the name of the game because it was one of my favorite to write a WT for. I looked on the BF game page and the link is broken, but when I searched the name of the game along with BrownEyedTigre, the WT popped up! In case you need it here it is: Walkthrough

Also, seeing the url structure, it is easy to find other WT's from BF that are missing.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/21/21 12:59 AM

Great! Thanks Ana!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/23/21 01:20 AM

I am playing Love Chronicles: Beyond the Shadows CE at the moment. The developer is Vendel. I am finding it to be a thoroughly charming game. None of the puzzles are all that difficult, but the game is creative and fun.

It is a game that could be overlooked because it is not listed on the page listing Collector's Editions, which is no doubt an error. If you look on the Hidden Object games page or the Adventure Section, though, it is there.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/23/21 01:57 AM

I am playing Love Chronicles: Beyond the Shadows CE at the moment. The developer is Vendel. I am finding it to be a thoroughly charming game. None of the puzzles are all that difficult, but the game is creative and fun.

It is a game that could be overlooked because it is not listed on the page listing Collector's Editions, which is no doubt an error. If you look on the Hidden Object games page or the Adventure Section, though, it is there.

Sounds right up my alley so it's a good thing I have the game laugh. Have you played any of the others in the series?

I always use the "Adventure" section and only look at the "HO" page sometimes. Most of the games seem to show up on the Adventure page.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/23/21 02:32 AM

I have played two other games in this series, oldbroad, but it was so long ago that I barely remember them. Will probably replay both of those this year. I am glad to hear you have the game. smile
Posted By: copper

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/25/21 02:59 AM

I'm playing Mystery Case Files: Fate's Carnival.

It's fun, it's long, some of the puzzles are hard (for me) to figure out, but I like it when I really have to use my brain to figure it out.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/25/21 03:59 AM

Oh, that is a really good game, copper! I agree with what you say about it. Thanks for letting us know what you are playing. wave

I finished Love Chronicles: Beyond the Shadows CE and really enjoyed the bonus game too. Cute and fun.

Now I am playing Phantasmat: Crucible Peak CE. Just finished the main game and am getting ready to start the bonus game.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/26/21 08:08 PM

I just started another oldie (on CD) from my shelves, Lake House: Children of Silence. Like most of the older games (this one is 2006), it features "real" artwork with great detail and motion, atmosphere, etc., unlike the saturated coloring book art we get these days.

I am SO enjoying it. The puzzles are challenging, too, unlike the too-easy "puzzles" in today's HOAs. The animation is well done, not truncated. The characters feel real, so I find myself wanting to help them. There isn't much in the way of voice acting, but I don't find that I miss that. I'm really into the puzzles and the overall adventure.

One caveat: This game was a challenge to get running on Win10 with a solid-state hard drive. Without the help of my resident IT guy, who knows how to deal with pesky compatibility issues, I don't think I would have got it running.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/26/21 09:02 PM

I replayed Lake House: Children of Silence last year. Excellent game! I really miss the developer, Friday's Games. All their stuff was great.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/26/21 10:01 PM

I played that game once, long ago. I believe I liked it quite a lot if it is the game I'm thinking it is.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/28/21 06:03 PM

Just finished the Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Cursed Wedding CE. I found it quite enjoyable. The bonus game had a good length too.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/28/21 07:53 PM

I'm in a gaming funk. I see from my prior post that I started Dying for Daylight on the 20th and was enjoying it. Here it is the 28th and I haven't played anymore of it. Is it any wonder I'm so far behind in my gaming?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 02/28/21 09:45 PM

I have been in gaming funks before. Happily the game will wait for you!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/03/21 06:46 AM

I just loaded the 2006 game, Safecracker. This is one of my favorite games of all, being totally about solving puzzles and not much else. And they are delightfully pesky, too, so just my cuppa.

I have to say, though, that it was a real challenge to get it running. First, we only had a black screen. Then we got the game started but it was flashing horribly ~ unplayable! frown My faithful IT hubby stepped in, noodled around on line until he found a forum where geeks were talking about just my problems and how to fix them. It was quite a snarl. Half an hour later, he finally got it working and all I had to do was crank down the sound level and start in on the solving.

I am SO tickled to be playing this game again. I've already got most of the ground floor of the mansion opened up, and the rooms are full of puzzles. joy

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/03/21 10:18 AM

I liked that game a lot too Reenie. Are you playing from a disc or BiG Fish download? I have both but have only played it one time from the download. It is still installed on my Windows 7.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/03/21 01:31 PM

Started "Strange Investigations: Becoming" today and it certainly looks like a game I will enjoy dance

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/03/21 02:56 PM

Sounds good, Mad!

Reenie, it's nice to have a techie in the house, isn't it? There are some games that I never would have gotten working properly were it not for my son.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/03/21 06:09 PM

Essential! This was an epic bit of internet sleuthing, File Management/Editing and DDL-ing. I would have been afraid of blowing up the works.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/05/21 01:14 PM

Reading this thread inspired me to get the 2006 Safecracker. I had played the 2001 Safecracker twenty years ago (wrote the walkthrough actually) but haven't played the 2006 one. Yes, I had the same problems Reenie had, but got it going the same way her husband did, without blowing up the works! Lucky me. The editing and DLL-ing are necessary, but disabling the display adapter was not required (for me at least.)

Lotsa fun puzzles!!

A word of caution to people sensitive to motion sickness. Doesn't bother me, but I know there are people who can't tolerate it when the whole room moves with the mouse. 'Nuff said. 🤢

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/05/21 06:13 PM

Welcome to the Safe House, Tally Ho. It is nice not to be alone with all these puzzles. They are maddening good!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/05/21 11:17 PM

I moved the game icon (Safecracker) into "play" position on my desktop. Now, let's see if that happens lol. Have fun you two!

I finished Dying for Daylight and am mostly finished with my 2 straight HOG games. Haven't started any new casual yet though. Soon.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/05/21 11:55 PM

I am in the middle of playing The Secret Order: Masked Intent CE. A really good game. Even though there are some HOPs, it feels much more like an adventure game than anything else. Interestingly, the bonus game is in the middle of the game, which leaves me to wonder what the standard version is like as the bonus game really felt intrinsic to the whole. It's a nice long game too.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/06/21 12:39 AM

I just finished The Hero of The Kingdom series. It's one of my favorites.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/06/21 03:04 AM

Good to see you here, Connie! I love that series too.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/06/21 03:07 PM

Well, I am finding "Strange Investigations: Becoming" has quite a few puzzles that haven't particularly appealed to me so I'm having a break from it and am tinkering with Adam Wolfe - which I've had for eons and never touched.
But I'm not sure whether I will like it or not, yet whistle

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/06/21 04:05 PM

I haven't played Adam Wolfe yet, Mad, so will be curious to hear what you think of it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/06/21 05:18 PM

So far, Marian, I am enjoying it immensely !! thumbsup

I'm playing on the easy setting as I didn't know what to expect. And I think that was the right one for me to choose because I can get gentle nudges as to the right thing to do or direction to go lol

And I like this "comic book" style too yes

If the game continues in this vein, and doesn't suddenly turn difficult, I think I will be a really Happy Bunny laugh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/08/21 04:24 PM

Still enjoying myself with Adam Wolfe - although I did have a scary moment.
In the middle of a battle with a "supernatural" force, all the graphics suddenly went mad and jumbled .... "not playable" .... so I couldn't see what I was doing scared

I did manage to get out of the game alright so I shut down my machine (in case the fault was with my computer and not the game) and re-booted.
And when the game re-started it was fine - but in a different scene shocked
So I went to YouTube to see what I might have missed and discovered I'd missed all of two whole minutes at the most !! woozy

I don't know what the heck happened but it's been playing fine since and I LIKE it grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/08/21 04:32 PM

Well that is good news, Mad. Glad you made it through that very strange incident relatively unscathed! evil grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/08/21 04:39 PM

I played a couple of the chapters of Adam Wolfe two years ago. I found it engaging, but more gruesome than I like. Still, it was very original!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/08/21 05:15 PM

Hi Marian and Reenie smile

I don't mind gruesome if the story warrants it. And have played several games of a gruesome nature in my time !! lol

But I DO mind if a game doesn't behave well enough - so hopefully there won't be any more hiccups with this one.

Especially when I feel it's good yes

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/10/21 06:37 PM

Finished the first Adam Wolfe chapter today and thoroughly enjoyed it !! yay

So chapter two here I come grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/10/21 07:44 PM

That's great news, Mad! You are encouraging me to play this game soon. wave

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/10/21 08:00 PM

I think you would enjoy it, too, Marian thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/11/21 09:35 PM

Okay, my post seems to have disappeared.

I started Amaranthing Voyage 6: Winter Neverending two nights ago and it is good so far.

Reading Mad's post about Adam Wolfe had me looking at it in my library and downloading it to squeeze into my playing somewhere.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/12/21 03:49 PM

Well if you do squeeze it in somewhere, I hope you like it, oldbroad laugh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/13/21 03:57 PM

Started Chapter Three now .... Yeah !! hamster

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/13/21 04:21 PM

I think I'm going to play Adam Wolfe in the next few weeks, Mad. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/13/21 07:10 PM

I turned to playing Casual games because I often didn't have large blocks of time to sit down and work out all the complexities of full-blown Adventure games and keep in order all the questions, information and characters involved. I had my career going, and that often meant nights and weekends in the studio, plus business travel. Also, until Covid came along, hubby and I spent a month or so exploring some foreign country every year. I kept losing my place in whatever Adventure game I was playing. The same interruption problem would apply to Casuals, but since they take less time to play, they could be finished before we left home.

Now, I am replaying one of the Vermillion games, Order Zero now. I'm playing the CO version, which will have a nice Bonus Game. I enjoy these games because they sort of bridge the gap between a Casual and an Adventure game. The puzzles in these games tend to be more challenging than your usual Casual puzzles (that generally aren't even "puzzling") and the story line is complexified in several different ways. They all are set in a Jules Verne-like technology and I enjoy that after the steady diet of witches, monsters and fairy tale creatures that populate so much of the Casual genre. Only the New York Mysteries and Lost Lands series have featured such consistent high quality as Vermillion.

Of the six games in the Vermillion series, only Fleshbound was a bit disappointing. It simply was too easy to be fun, and I may not even have finished it. All the other Vermillions are on my Top 40 List, and this is the third one I'm replaying. I miss the complexity of Adventure games, and I would love to see more Casual games of this caliber!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/14/21 03:07 PM

Well, you've convinced me to replay the Vermillion games, starting with Moorgate Accord. I had forgotten that it starts out with what I think is the most difficult puzzle in the whole series - the one where you have to remember the ogre's facial features and sort them all out until you reproduce his image. I simply had to cheat; there are too many permutations, and I am naturally bad at faces anyway. Got through that, and it's onward and upward! Thanks for the nudge; I will enjoy re-playing the whole set.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/14/21 04:01 PM

I thought that was a difficult puzzle too, Tally Ho, until I realized that you could just click on the "remember" circle to the right, which will show you the ogre's facial features again. Take a look at this video starting at about 8:05 and you will see what I mean. It was only on my second playthrough of the game that I discovered this.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/14/21 06:13 PM

Here's what to do these days, when you have to match something from memory that you saw elsewhere: Use your iPhone to take a pic of the screen that has the information (in this case, a picture of the OGRE) and then refer to the picture on your phone to put the puzzle's pieces together. With apologies to Kaiser Permanente, I call it my "Senior Advantage."

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/14/21 06:19 PM

I think I am probably just about the only one left on planet earth who doesn't have a smartphone/mobile phone.

Senior Advantage, Reenie! laugh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/14/21 07:29 PM

I think I'm going to play Adam Wolfe in the next few weeks, Mad. smile

Well I hope you like it if you do, Marian grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/14/21 09:13 PM

No Marian, I don't have one either and neither does my brother!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/14/21 09:56 PM

I don't have one either.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/14/21 10:04 PM

Thanks to both of you for letting me know! grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/14/21 11:53 PM

You're never alone here Marian! lol

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/20/21 08:19 PM

I finished Amaranthine Voyage 6: Winter Neverending which had better puzzles than the last couple did, and I replayed Dream Chronicles 4: The Book of Air in which I found a glitch and had to skip a puzzle but I actually liked this game quite a bit and wish I could replay The Book of Water but cannot. I saw in the BF forum that somebody had the same problem I had and they were told it was not a glitch but it really was! Maybe if I had closed the game and gone back in I could have retried it but I did not do that.

Last night, or rather in the wee hours of this morning, I started Dream Catcher Chronicles: Manitou. I played for a short while and ran into a difficult puzzle which I hope I may be able to figure out today. I love the setting/scenery of the game but I'm betting this game would be considered "politically incorrect" these days. In one HO scene I had to find a cocoon and a scalp scared . I think those are firsts for me. I actually used the hint button 3 times in 2 HO scenes as items are hard to find and I wasn't entirely sure of one thing I was searching for. Maybe as I continue in the game I will become accustomed to it and not need the hints for the HO's. We'll see how the game goes.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/20/21 09:03 PM

I had never heard of Dream Catcher Chronicles: Manitou. I googled, and found it on Steam. Keep us posted!

My last HOPA finished was Dark Romance: Sleepy Hollow CE. Now I am replaying Bookworm Adventures, which is a word game and a great one. Loved it the first time I played it about 15 years ago, and loving it now.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/21/21 12:57 AM

I used to play the Bookworm game with my Grandson when he was young and do still play it myself.
It's a permanent fixture on my XP machine.
But it is NOT easy once you get deeper in 🙀🙀🙀

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/21/21 01:29 AM

Marian, that's a blast from the past! I love the Bookworm game!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/22/21 02:07 AM

Yes, it's a great game! And it definitely does get more difficult. I am already finding myself having to repeat levels. It is a fun challenge.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/22/21 06:06 AM

It looks interesting Marian!

I finished Dream Catcher Chronicles: Manitou tonight. I liked it but I wouldn't really recommend it. It is mostly hidden object scenes with some different type of items (which is nice). There were two puzzle where you make a potion. I didn't understand the instruction chart but got them by trial and error. There were some match 3 games to find objects or fill mana and two match 3 boss fights (at least that's what a Steam reviewer called them) at the end of the game. It was a nice peaceful game for me.

Oh, and there was one other puzzle which I liked and can't believe I forgot to mention. Pushing objects around to get them into the right place and using them as blockers to keep other objects from reaching the edges.

I may go ahead and start Adam Wolfe next.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/22/21 02:31 PM

Thanks for the review of Dream Catcher Chronicles: Manitou, oldbroad. Good to know about it. smile
Posted By: Susie07

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/22/21 04:12 PM

Hi, Marian!

I'm currently playing "Dark Romance: Sleepy Hollow" CE and enjoying it very much. I picked it up with the "Find the Shamrock" coupon when I was finally able to see the shamrock lol . Even though you kindly gave me the code before I realized that the glitch was fixed, I wanted to earn it myself. I really appreciate the option to play a Match 3 puzzle when I'm tired of searching for hidden objects, or when I can't locate that last elusive object and don't want to use a hint.

Susan

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/22/21 04:16 PM

Thanks for letting us know you are enjoying the game, Susan! I enjoyed it too. I agree that the match-3 alternative is a nice thing to have; I like that much better than having to use the hint button in a hidden object scene. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/30/21 05:18 AM

Regarding Adam Wolfe - Mad did you finish it and did you like it to the end? Marian - have you decided to play it yet? I just finished Episode 1. It is definitely different which I very much like but (always a but) I'm still not certain if I like the type of gameplay. I can't put my finger on what it is though.

Nobody's posting much in this thread anymore frown.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/30/21 09:39 AM

Hi.

No, I haven't finished it yet. I've had to make do mostly with little iPad games recently because of health issues re sitting at my PC ☹️
However, I'm well into chapter 3 and definitely still enjoying it.
And not even minding the sometimes "actiony" style bits because I don't die - just get given the chance to do those bits over And they don't last very long.
I'm quite sure I'll like it to the very end 👍

Yes. I've noticed the reduced posts in this thread. Just don't know any reason why 😯

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/30/21 02:44 PM

Oldbroad, I haven't started Adam Wolfe yet. I got involved in a match-3 game (Cursed House 2) and just finished that up a couple of days ago. Will let you know what I think if I start playing it. Every single level of Cursed House 2 had different objectives to achieve, which was fun.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/30/21 07:44 PM

Aw Mad, sorry to hear that you're having problems. hug I think it is probably those "actiony" bits I'm not too fond of.

Marian, glad to hear about Cursed House 2. Are you still also playing Bookworm Adventures?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/30/21 07:47 PM

Yes, I am still playing Bookworm Adventures on and off. It's not a game that I just want to plow my way through, so it will probably be a while before I finish it. I am on book two of three.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/30/21 08:48 PM

It's nice to have a "background" type of game. I am currently replaying Pandora's Box that way.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/30/21 08:54 PM

Oh, yes! Definitely agree about having "background" games. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 03/31/21 02:51 AM

I just finished Episode 2 of Adam Wolfe. This is the one thing that I really don't like about the game - the "combat". I despise having to mash down on my mouse button!!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/01/21 12:28 PM

But at least you don't have to re-play a long lead up stretch in order to try again if you fail ??

I dislike that MORE lol

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/01/21 09:20 PM

Agreed Mad! In the second episode there is a 3 part area of mouse mashing. I only made it through 2 parts and had to use the skip button for the last one. I just couldn't do it and I use both hands for those.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/01/21 09:42 PM

I am replaying Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace. The premise is familiar: waking up in a strange place, all alone, and having to figure out what is going on while you try to save everyone else. ha ha Overall, I am enjoying it, since it is realistic, beautifully rendered and artfully designed. It is not one of those cartoon-colored things with purple smoke and Joker-like deranged villains. The various puzzles are challenging but none are game-stoppers. A few are dead easy. The HO scenes are not unduly aggravating.

This game did not come as a CE (no Game Manual) so I am suffering through a LOT of aimless wandering around, looking for tiny keys, miscellaneous gems and fragments of door puzzles, with most of the rooms locked until I find their keys or the pieces needed to solve a puzzle to open them. (I got stuck solidly while trying to reconstruct a ladder, and found a rung in the opposite end of the palace, in a room that was locked for the first two hours of play.)

The game has a Map function, but it only slowly reveals the environment, as you explore, solve puzzles and obtain more keys to open doors. Also, the environmental layout doesn't quite make sense at first, because of the way you turn corners as you move around the palace. I'm probably halfway through the game and still a bit confused about which direction to turn sometimes. Once you have rooms opened, though, you can rapidly transport from one to the other using the Map.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/01/21 10:28 PM

Thanks for that description of the game, Reenie. I have Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace but haven't played it yet. It sounds like it's worth a look. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/01/21 10:43 PM

Ditto what Marian said. I even have it downloaded and waiting.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/02/21 11:52 AM

I just finished Episode 2 of Adam Wolfe. This is the one thing that I really don't like about the game - the "combat". I despise having to mash down on my mouse button!!

I wouldn't think twice about skipping an action type bit, myself, oldbroad. seeing as it's not an adventure bit laugh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/07/21 06:18 AM

Just finished Adam Wolfe. I liked it okay but certainly did not love it and didn't really find it fun. Just me I guess. duh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/07/21 02:03 PM

Just finished Adam Wolfe. I liked it okay but certainly did not love it and didn't really find it fun. Just me I guess. duh

Not at all. I am sure there were other people who felt the same way. Thanks for giving us your opinion about it!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/07/21 02:29 PM

I can understand why you weren't too enthralled, oldbroad yes

However, I am still enjoying it - as much as I can actually sit and play games at the moment laugh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/07/21 06:47 PM

I'm glad you're enjoying it Mad and wish your body would allow you to sit and play more! I am certainly not sorry I played the game. There is a lot to like about it as well as some things not to like (for me).

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/11/21 05:51 PM

A good way into the final chapter now and still very much enjoying myself grin

When I'm finished, I think I might go for a total change of experience and fire up a real oldie "Adventure".
One of the Monkey Islands ?? Or maybe the original Broken Sword ??
[ But just pop in a bit of a Casual Match 3 now and then as well laugh ]

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/11/21 06:26 PM

I'm glad you are still liking it, Mad. wave

Currently I am playing an adventure game oldie and have also been making my way through Jewel Match Twilight Solitaire.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/11/21 06:54 PM

I like the Twilight version, Marian. Although I haven't played it for a while grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/11/21 08:07 PM

I'm replaying MCF: The Black Veil now, a very creepy and unsettling game. Torture themes, sudden shocks, arcane creatures and a madman keeping it all spinning. Not my cuppa, but I didn't realize all that when I bought it, nor when I launched it for replay. ha ha Still, I realize why I liked it, and it is totally down to the elaborate plot, good graphics and excellent mini-games. I am trying hard to overlook the grotesque and macabre elements. Would recommend it for players who would be happy to absorb the levels of torture and gore for the sake of a great challenge.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/11/21 10:59 PM

I still haven't played Black Veil. Thank you for reminding me about it, Reenie.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/15/21 04:28 PM

I really liked this game but a good way into it, I encountered a glitch that couldn't be overcome - even with help from Big Fish. So I was given a free game code.

But maybe it will work on my next machine.

I will certainly be trying it as BF said I can always re-try it yes

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/15/21 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mad
I really liked this game but a good way into it, I encountered a glitch that couldn't be overcome - even with help from Big Fish. So I was given a free game code.

Which game was this?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/15/21 06:49 PM

It was "MCF: The Black Veil" Uncle Reg smile

Well I finished Adam Wolfe today and enjoyed it VERY much - except for the ending - which I felt was really poor.
[But which won't stop me from playing the game again at some time lol]

Now I've installed Journeyman Project 3 : Legacy of Time.
I love this game and own several versions of it but I've gone for the GOG one and successfully installed it (and played about 30 minutes of it) on my Win7 machine.
So I'm very happy as I've always previously played it on WinXP rah

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/15/21 06:53 PM

Thanks for reminding me about Legacy of Time, Mad. I have the GOG version as well and haven't played it yet! Will move it up to the top of the pile.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/15/21 08:11 PM

I'm absolutely positive you will like it, Marian. It is everything an Adventure game should be thumbsup

Just be prepared for a lengthy intro laugh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/15/21 09:26 PM

I was disappointed in the ending of Adam Wolfe too.

Does that Black Veil glitch affect everybody? I have played some of it, but I don't remember if I ever finished it.

I agree with Mad about Legacy Of Time. It is one of my favorite games of all time. I think I remember that GOG made some tweaks that allowed it to work on Win 7 where earlier versions had problems. I think I might go for another replay too.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/15/21 09:42 PM

Uncle Reg and Mad, I will look forward to playing Legacy of Time! And lengthy intros are fine by me. smile

Also, I know of several people who played Black Veil with no issues, Uncle Reg.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/15/21 10:04 PM

I played MCF: The Black Veil last year but can't remember it at all.

I'm glad you enjoyed Adam Wolfe mostly all the way to the end Mad.

I have the Journeyman games from GOG (not played, of course).

I am in the middle of Amaranthine Voyage 7: Legacy of the Guardians and have been enjoying it so far. I'm also playing 100 Doors Game - Escape from School (free from Steam) when I feel like playing but not really playing.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/16/21 12:41 AM

Yes. Sorry !! I should have said it wasn't a glitch that affected lots of people. Thanks for clarifying that, Marian 🙂

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/16/21 04:35 AM

OldBroad, I'm replaying an Amaranthine game, too. The Tree of Life. Great mini-games, unusual concepts, tricky, head-scratchers. I've played 8 in that series, and think Winter Neverending is the best, but this one is darned good, too.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/16/21 04:44 AM

The Tree of Life is the first game. I liked that one too, as well as Winter Neverending, the 6th game. There were a couple in the middle there I didn't like as much though.
Posted By: Lex

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/16/21 07:31 AM

Having eventually finished Baba Is You and Stephen's Sausage Roll I was casting around for another simple (at first) puzzle game and stumbled across A Monster's Expedition: you have to fell trees by kicking them over to make bridges and rafts to travel between islands, and on some of the islands you (as a monster) find (now extinct) human exhibits with groan-inducing captions - available on Steam and in Apple Arcade (where I am currently playing it during a one month free trial).

I was also amused to google Amaranthine on the basis of the comments in posts above and find that it is also the name of a side scrolling space shooter which I will probably try if I can find an Apple compatible version (looks a bit like R-Type). catrub

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/16/21 02:02 PM

A Monster's Expedition sounds quite entertaining, Lex! wave

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/17/21 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mad
I'm absolutely positive you will like it, Marian. It is everything an Adventure game should be thumbsup

Just be prepared for a lengthy intro laugh

Although I should add that it might not be suitable for those folk who suffer from motion sickness - but I don't think you do, Marian ??

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/22/21 05:06 PM

I am replaying Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain and enjoying it every bit as much as the first time. This series is among my favorites because of the high quality of the graphics and the difficulty and originality of the puzzles and mini-games. I'm going to reload SOTD: Flower of Shadow as soon as I finish this game, and SOTD: Ancestral Estate as soon as I finish that one. joy

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/22/21 05:23 PM

No, happily I have not experienced motion sickness with games, Mad. smile

The Secrets of the Dark series is excellent, Reenie! I replayed Secrets of the Dark: Temple of Night in the last few months.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/22/21 06:55 PM

I have four of the Secrets of the Dark series. But I'm not sure I've actually played all of them yet. And there's probably more been released by now smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/22/21 07:11 PM

I have all four Secrets of the Dark downloaded and waiting.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/22/21 08:24 PM

Mad, I wish I could find out if there were more in this series. I tried the BF search engine, but it doesn't search by title, only by individual word, so all you get is a lot of irrelevant titles. I opened their page that lists all games and found it redesigned and harder to scroll through, but what I noticed was one of the four games I own no longer is listed. There are only three listed now.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/22/21 08:36 PM

Reenie, are you talking about the Secrets of the Dark games? If so, there are indeed four of them, and they are all listed on this page.

I have found that the listings are not always consistent, but I can usually find what I am looking for anyway.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/22/21 08:43 PM

Thanks. How odd. I typed in the title Secrets of the Dark into their own web page (into the box labeled "Search PC Games" on the upper right corner of the page) and it took me to a different listing in a different format and shows only three games in that series. Why would BF want to have "alternative" search engine capacity and results, especially when they vary in content?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/22/21 08:47 PM

I have found that Search PC Games thing fairly useless. It often does not call up the games I am looking for. I don't use it anymore.

I either use an external search engine or look at their pages listing "hidden object games," Collector's Editions, etc.

Using an external search engine, I have found games that take me right to their download page, and yet if you tried to find them on BF they aren't even listed.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/22/21 08:49 PM

I use the "PC Games Home" and then the "Adventure" selection and I don't have any problem that way.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/22/21 11:00 PM

I will try to remember your technique, Marian.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 04/23/21 03:04 AM

Reenie .....

I use Google a lot these days to quickly find what I want at BF yes

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/08/21 10:48 PM

Installed Fatal Evidence : The Missing today and played the first bit.

Looks good thumbsup

[I also have another in the series - called Cursed island (I think) - but can't remember if I've played it rolleyes]

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/08/21 11:08 PM

Good to know, Mad! I hope you enjoy the rest of the game. smile

I have been playing some levels of Katy and Bob: Cake Cafe Collector's Edition (a time management game) as well as Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island (which I have played through at least three times before).

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/10/21 09:18 AM

I do hope you are still enjoying yourself, Marian laugh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/10/21 02:02 PM

I sure am, Mad! happydance

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 04:41 AM

I loaded The Legacy: Forgotten Gates this morning, and am loving it. I played it three or four years ago, so I have forgotten enough to not let it spoil a replay for me. It is everything you want in a game: beautiful and realistic artwork executed with great talent and obvious pride in their work, creative story line, cinematic scenes that flow effortlessly and link together the changes of scene in a rational way, and plenty of imagination at play both in terms of story line and mini-games. New ideas are popping up everywhere. It is one of my Top 20 games, and I've been waiting to replay it. Could not be happier!

Tree of Might is another game in this series and nearly as good.

Unfortunately, the other games in this series that I tried out were not of equal quality and I would not recommend them. They are: 1) The Prisoner, which is way too easy, no more than a "find-it-and-use-it" game, 2) Origin of Witch Island, which is also too easy, has silly music and is full of pop-ups, you name it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 01:20 PM

So glad you are enjoying your replay, Reenie. happydance

Speaking of Five-BN games, there is a new game coming pretty soon. I believe it is the second installment of their new Legendary Tales series - Legendary Tales: Cataclysm. I have also heard that they are working on another game in the Lost Lands series. Definitely something to look forward to!

And by the way, Mercy of the Gallows and Legacy: Witch Island Origin are from a different developer, not Five-BN. And make sure that you are not confusing the following two games: The Legacy: Prisoner is 5-BN, but Stranded Dreamscapes: The Prisoner is from another developer altogether. It can get confusing when there are the same or similar words in some of these titles.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 05:28 PM

"Mercy of the Gallows and Legacy: Witch Island Origin are from a different developer."

I was just about to say that - until I spotted your post, Marian lol

I love "The Legacy" series and have played all three several times thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 05:31 PM

Yikes. I just saw that. Thank you for letting me know. I took it off. It was part of Legacy Tales, not Legacy.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 05:49 PM

Well guys, I just downloaded The Legacy: Forgotten Gates from my Purchase History - because I don't think I have ever played this one! Appalling, isn't it? blush

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 05:50 PM

All I can say is, "Lucky you. You have an enviable journey ahead!" joy

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 06:30 PM

Absolutely shocking, Marian !!!! What have you been thinking ???? evil

So enjoy yourself to the max, now dance

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 07:43 PM

Just looked at my purchase history, and found Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows CE - is that part of the series you are discussing? Or something else entirely.

p.s. WooHoo bring on more 5BN!!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 08:19 PM

Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows CE is a game that has been recommended by several people here. The developer is not Five-BN, though.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 08:32 PM

Thanks Marian - I think I'll replay it (since I also have one of those "expiring" memories.)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 08:48 PM

Mad, I enjoyed Fatal Evidence: The Missing, because it had good puzzles throughout and had a long game play. However, I prefer games with more realistic color palettes if I can find them. I'm tired of the candy-colored artwork. Any recommendations on a game with naturalistic graphics?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 09:22 PM

Well, I don't think my memory is THAT bad - I am well into the first chapter of Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows CE, and Absolutely Nothing is familiar. Sooo - I will certainly stick with it. (Reenie - great graphics in this one; realistic to say the least!)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 10:50 PM

Mercy of the Gallows would certainly be a new game for me too. The one and only time I played it was when it was released in 2013, eight years ago. Yikes!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/15/21 11:53 PM

Thanks, Tally Ho. I did try Mercy of the Gallows in 2017, but it would not properly load on my screen. 1/4 of the screen was cut off. I couldn't find a fix for it, so I had to bail on the Demo. thumbsdown

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/16/21 02:01 PM

Oh that's too bad!

When I downloaded it from my purchase history, there was some message about an update - possibly they fixed the problem.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/16/21 05:31 PM

Well, it would be worth my while to check that out. Thanks, Tally Ho!
Posted By: MsMercury

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/17/21 12:33 PM

Been replaying the Amaranthine Voyage games but took a break to play Jewel Match Solitaire: Atlantis 2. Loving it!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/17/21 01:43 PM

Thanks for letting us know, Mary! I do enjoy the Jewel Match Solitaire games. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/18/21 04:21 AM

So, I posted something here a few days ago but my post disappeared which seems to be happening an awful lot lately. I don't know what's wrong with me that I can't post right anymore or maybe the GB forum dislikes me. Anyway, the last HOPA that I played was the 7th Amaranthine Voyage game which means I still have one more to go. I've been playing some other types of casuals like 100 Doors (puzzle), Runefall (Match 3) which I'm not too into, and replaying Glass Masqerade only this time I'm playing the Steam version which is double the size of the Big Fish version and I bought it on sale quite cheap a while back.

Tonight I decided it's time to start a new HOPA and have had A Gypsy's Tale - The Tower of Secrets downloaded and waiting for a long time on my Windows 10 computer. It only opens in a small square in the upper left corner of my screen. Oh well, so much for that. Maybe I will download it to Windows 7 and see if it works better there.

That's it for me!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/18/21 01:04 PM

oldbroad, I looked in the inner workings of the forum and no disappearing posts from you so maybe you didn't hit send. I do that often myself and have multiple tabs open on my browser and then close them without sending the posts.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/18/21 01:21 PM

Oldbroad, Gypsy's Tale plays just fine for me on my Windows 7 computer. Runs properly and displays properly.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/18/21 01:40 PM

The problem might be that this game requires Flash Player.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/18/21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Reenie
Mad, I enjoyed Fatal Evidence: The Missing, because it had good puzzles throughout and had a long game play. However, I prefer games with more realistic color palettes if I can find them. I'm tired of the candy-colored artwork. Any recommendations on a game with naturalistic graphics?

Just off the top of my head, Reenie, I can't name a Casual like that - although there are sure to be some.

BUT : Did you ever play the Adventure game Quern ??

Quern : Undying Thoughts is a first person exploration adventure full of mind bending puzzles and definitely not full of candy-coloured artwork . smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/18/21 07:10 PM

Thanks Ana, I'm sure it is just me forgetting to hit the post button.

Good to know Marian. I will try the game there.

Tally Ho, I'm pretty sure the game would tell me that like a different game I tried one time did.

Reenie (Mad), Quern is a great game.

Huh, I just Googled and it does seem that A Gypsy Tale uses Flash.
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/102844.page

The game seems as if it will play in my little window on Win10 though I didn't actually try it. I did create a profile to get into the options section. Marian, do you currently have it installed on Win 7 and if so, does it still work? (Also, do you still have Flash Player or did you uninstall it like I did and wish I didn't.)

Well, the game plays in the small window in Win10 so it does not involve Flash Player as I do not have Flash Player. I will try Win7 when I get into that computer. I hope it works full screen. It looks like a good game!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/18/21 08:42 PM

I left Flash Player on my Windows 7 computer so that I would be able to play my older games that used it. I don't currently have it installed, but it worked fine the last time I played it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/18/21 10:27 PM

I did try Quern. Very Myst-like, beautiful, alien-feeling, etc. ~ so I enjoyed the first half of it. I did get tired of the repetitive, tedious mixing of potions everywhere I went, though. I decided to take a break from it, and then I never went back. I guess I like a bit more variety in my mini-games.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/18/21 11:17 PM

I'm sorry you got tired of Quern Reenie. I don't remember it feeling like a potion mixing game but to each his own.

Well, I tried installing A Gypsy's Tale to Win 7 and it DOES require Adobe Flash so I will not be playing it there. I guess I can continue to try to play it in my small window in Win10. I wonder why it works there and if it will continue to work there.

Everyday I do this hardwall in regard to uninstalling Flash. I never in a million years thought it was going to affect some of my Big Fish games.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/20/21 08:02 PM

There is an upside to playing A Gypsy's Tale in a small window. There is a slider puzzle that I messed around with one night. The next night I looked at a walkthrough, and while I could not follow the steps of the walkthrough, I was able to leave it open on my desktop to see the completed picture while I worked on the slider puzzle and that seemed to help me to solve the puzzle.

I think that Big Fish or anybody who sells games that use Flash Player should put that warning on the sell page. I guess that might be a big job to sort out. I bought this game 2 years ago before Flash ended but it is still for sale. I have several old games on my "to buy" list that have been recommended but now I am afraid to buy them. I originally worried they wouldn't work on Win 10; now this. I tried Googling for a list of games but no such luck. Maybe I should check into BlueMaxima's Flashpoint.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/20/21 08:18 PM

I just found this page on Big Fish's technical support section regarding the discontinuation of Flash Player.

I find this sentence particularly interesting:

Please Note: This only affects the 'Online Games' section of Big Fish Games and any of our downloadable PC or Mac games are not affected.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/20/21 08:48 PM

Marian, that shows it was updated 10 hours ago. I wonder if something has changed?? If not, then they are lying, I will give it another try later when I boot up my Windows 7 though to check it out.

I had previously found this article from 3 months ago (which is after Flash support ended)

https://www.bigfishgames.com/game/b...install-Adobe-Flash-Shockwave-Computer-/

Maybe I shouldn't say "lying" but it is misleading if a person has uninstalled Flash and tries to install/re-install a game that uses it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/23/21 03:42 PM

I haven't verified this so can't say if this is true or not - but on another forum someone is saying that Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake uses Adobe Flash Player and now she isn't able to play it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/23/21 07:08 PM

I just wish I hadn't uninstalled it. I usually don't listen to that kind of stuff. I only thought of games like Samarost and I did post something on the glitches board about that.

Here's the weird thing Marian. That link you posted to keeps saying update such and such hours ago. It is down to one now so maybe it will stop saying that soon. I saw it at five and at two. Doesn't appear to be updated to me in any way.
y with
I did not retry the game in Win 7 but did try Dream Chronicles in Win 10 and too much weird stuff came up that I did not accept and instead uninstalled the game. It would not fully install or play without Flash.

I'm still enjoying A Gypsy Tale though even in small screen.

I have Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake on disc. If I remember and feel ambitious at some point I may test it out.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/23/21 07:22 PM

I'm thinking that last updated at such and such hours ago may be part of some software program that is part of a bigger picture that doesn't always apply to that page specifically. In general, pages such as that one would not be updated that frequently anyway.

I am glad you are enjoying Gypsy's Tale despite the small screen. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/23/21 07:45 PM

Yes, I guess that makes sense Marian.

Here's the link to when I posted in glitches about Flash if anybody cares. I guess it made me feel confident uninstalling it unfortunately.

https://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1222421/Searchpage/1/Main/87801/Words/%2Bflash/Search/true/re-amanita-flash-games#Post1222421

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/24/21 09:10 PM

Rumor has it that the new HOPA from Five BN will be out this week. Fingers crossed!

And yes, I remember that thread, oldbroad.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/25/21 05:19 AM

I just finished A Gypsy Tale. Was there ever a follow up game?

Marian, I know both you and Jenny liked Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls which I believe is by the same people as A Gypsy Tale. I do not have the game but had been thinking of getting it. Do you (or does anybody else) know if it uses Flash Player or have any other problems? Hm, I guess I should go look in the BF forum too.

(Added) Looks like it has screen size issues too.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/25/21 02:10 PM

I have Curse at Twilight and thought it was a really good game. A Gypsy's Tale never had a sequel. Curse at Twilight is from the same developer as A Gypsy's Tale.

I don't know if Curse at Twilight uses Flash Player. It runs perfectly on my Windows 7 computer. I never had any issues with the game at all.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/25/21 05:48 PM

Thanks. I guess I'll keep thinking about it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/28/21 05:26 PM

I've just started "Faircroft's Antiques : The Heir of Glen Kinnoch (Collector's Edition)".

From the gameplay, it looks like an older game but I am quite liking it.

And I see there are two more in the series so if I enjoy this one I might get those as well smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/28/21 06:43 PM

Mad, Faircroft's Antiques is a brand-new series from Boomzap, just released this past year. It's an old-school game, but it seems to be the type that a lot of people still find enjoyable. Glad you are liking it! wave

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/28/21 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info, Marian.

I find it really surprising !! yes

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/30/21 12:13 AM

Well, phooey !! frown

Since I last posted about this game it has crashed many times, and when I went looking for help at Big Fish I was just directed to a huge list of "technical" things to try - which I'm not prepared to do.

So I guess it will just have to be a case of "moving on" !!

Not good mad

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/30/21 12:24 AM

I was wondering if you would have problems or not. Some reviewers mentioned glitches.

Sorry to hear that!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/30/21 12:52 AM

That's a shame, Mad! Not having played the game myself, I have not had the opportunity to test the game for glitches. It surprises me that Boomzap may have issues with this game that did not get fixed. They have always been very reliable developers.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/30/21 01:06 AM

I've started on my first ever "Chimers" game now .... "Mark of Death" .... and am liking it very much, so far.

Needless to say Fingers Are Crossed !!!! lol

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/30/21 01:08 AM

I will cross my fingers too! yes

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 05/30/21 09:20 PM

Thank you, Marian hug

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/01/21 06:11 PM

I tried Faircroft's Antiques and didn't really care for it - too cutesy. Didn't get far enough into it to experience any glitches.

I have enjoyed other games from BoomZap (but don't remember what they were.)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/01/21 06:15 PM

Currently playing Phenomenon: Meteorite. I like it, but there is a LOT of back-and-forth. Gonna wear out the map lol

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/01/21 06:25 PM

I'm playing the last Amarnthine Voyage game (The Burning Sky) so I can move on to some other series. I'm also playing Queens Garden Sakura Season which is a Match 3 game. I'm finding it addicting and relaxing. Still playing some other things here and there too.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/01/21 07:10 PM

I will check out the Queens Garden game.

I have been kind of quiet here of late because I've been playing Nancy Drew games. I replayed three and played one for the first time.

Oh, and I also replayed Lost Lands: The Four Horsemen CE.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/02/21 06:28 PM

I am playing Legendary Tales: Cataclysm and LOVING it. I know this game will displace one of the Top 20 already on my list. It features realistic and beautifully rendered artwork, plus no purple smoke or Amusement Park graphics. The voices are well done, distinctive and not prone to melodrama, making the characters feel like real people. In fact, nothing breaks the wall of this alternate world. The variety of locales is appropriate to the subject (an island volcano eruption) as is the accoutrement in the HO scenes (you won't find a soccer ball or a mini-scooter in any of the HOs). As for the mini-games, they are challenging, often completely original in design and relevant to the story and its theme. The only thing I haven't liked is a couple of puzzles that were timed. I can't tolerate that and had to skip them.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/02/21 06:41 PM

I don't think I have ever seen a timed puzzle in a Five BN HOPA game, Reenie. I will have to check this out and see for myself. Great news that you are loving the game, though! I am eager to play it. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/02/21 08:17 PM

Sounds good Reenie! I bought the game last week along with the first game, Stolen Life. Did you play that one?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/03/21 12:11 AM

Yes, I did play Stolen Life last year, and my notes say, "Best game in a long time." I already have replayed it. joy

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/03/21 12:13 AM

I'm downloading both games right now. (Not sure when exactly I'll play them but this will keep them on my radar.)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/03/21 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mad
I've started on my first ever "Chimers" game now .... "Mark of Death" .... and am liking it very much, so far.

Needless to say Fingers Are Crossed !!!! lol

Really liking this game - which so far is running perfectly - so will definitely get more from the series thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/03/21 11:18 PM

Good to hear! I believer there are 12 games in that series so far, so you have a lot to choose from smile.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/03/21 11:26 PM

No technical problems and you ilke the game too - great news, Mad! yay

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/05/21 05:09 PM

I downloaded the demo of Chimeras, Mark of Death after reading this - I agree; it's not bad.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/06/21 06:45 PM

I finished the bonus game today and I think I'll play another from this series next grin

[Hope you enjoy the game as much as I did, Tally Ho, if you get it.]

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/06/21 07:23 PM

Sounds good, Mad! wave

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/06/21 08:48 PM

Yes !!

Thanks, Marian.

I am thinking it might be the "Cherished Serpent" one this time grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/08/21 08:08 PM

I am wrapping up a replay of Macabre Mysteries: Curse of the Nightingale. I think it was issued in 2014. It is a lot like the Parables series (I'd say the HO scenes are identical). Your quest is to figure out who set fire to a theater, with resulting fatalities. There is a LOT to do, many scenes to explore, no horrible dark scenes or shocking surprises, nothing gruesome, no combat or timed puzzles. It comes with a good map that expands as you open up more locations. The background music is not annoying.

Sometimes, it is a challenge to figure out what a given mini-game is about, and the Hint system does not cover the puzzles. With a couple of the minis, part of the puzzle was figuring out what the #!!#@& you were supposed to do. ha ha As for exploring the theater and solving its mysteries, there is a lot of running hither and yon.

The important thing about this game is the sheer number of HO scenes, sometimes more than one in a given scene. You had better enjoy that aspect of game play if you buy this game. The objects often are very well disguised and not particularly representative, by color or size, of the object you are seeking. It is almost as if they didn't want you to find the stuff. :-)

It is a good, long game, but I doubt I'll replay it. The HO scenes became a pain near the end.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/08/21 08:23 PM

I have been playing Faircroft's Antiques: Treasure of Treffenburg which is mostly just a straight HOG game with some jigsaw type mini's in it. I've played 6 chapters of 19 (I believe) without any glitches yet. Fingers crossed.

I also started an old game called Spirit Walkers: Curse of the Cypress Witch and so far I am enjoying it. It's different and I like the puzzles that I've encountered to this point.

I have finally finished the Amaranthine Voyage series. Yay!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/08/21 08:31 PM

I don't have Spirit Walkers but it sounds like one I might want to pick up. I am glad you aren't having any glitches with Faircroft's Antiques!

Congratulations on finishing the entire Amaranthine Voyage series. That's quite an undertaking. thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/08/21 09:51 PM

So your Faircroft's Antiques game played without the hiccups I got with "Faircroft's Antiques : The Heir of Glen Kinnoch (Collector's Edition)", oldbroad ??

Glad to hear it yes

Interestingly, at this site Orchid Games the Spirit Walkers game you mention is said to not be playable on modern machines however it appears to be readily available from Big Fish think

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/08/21 09:56 PM

If you look at the bottom of that Orchid Games page, you can see that the game does not officially support Windows 10. That does not mean that it won't run on that OS, though, at least for some people. It's always best to try it for yourself.

I just started the Lost Lands: The Golden Curse CE. This will be my second playthrough. I don't remember all that much of it and it is pretty much like playing a new game.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/08/21 10:19 PM

I'm only a third of the way through Mad so we'll see but some reviewers mentioned a certain spot that they could not continue from but I got past that one without any problem. I had already bought all 3 games prior to you stating that you had trouble. I don't know if you were playing in your new Win 10 or Win 7 but I decided to try Win 7 figuring that maybe the problem was Win 10.

Regarding the Spirit Walkers game, I am playing that in Windows 10. So far, so good!

Also Mad, as I discussed earlier, there are apparently games that use Flash that are still available on Big Fish and they don't state that they use Flash and won't work if you don't have Flash so... headscratch

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/08/21 11:28 PM

Oldbroad, I found a replacement for Flash Player called Lightspark. You can download it here. Apparently you can use it to play games that require Flash Player. It's free software and I know a couple of people who have already been using it with no issues, even though they are continuing to tweak it. It might be worth checking out now or in the future.

I haven't tried it out yet on our Windows 10 computer, but I plan to do so at some point. I still have Adobe Flash Player on my Windows 7.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/09/21 12:18 AM

Thanks for that info Marian. I may look into it but probably on my Win 7. I am eager to hear how it goes on your Win 10 computer. My back end is so sore from all the kicking of it I do! blush

Though, looking at those "issues" on the linked page, it sounds like it might be too complicated for me to deal with.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/09/21 01:17 AM

It is still being bug tested. However, the person I know who is using it is having no issues at all with the casual games she has tried.

Some of those issues have to do with seeing if it works with Linux and Ubuntu as well, issues that a Windows user would certainly not have to concern themself with.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/09/21 03:22 AM

I just finished Spirit Walkers: Curse of the Cypress Witch. I have the SE version and it only took me about 4 hours to play without skipping any puzzles but I think it was a good game. Puzzles not super easy but obviously doable since I was able to do them wink. I only had one issue. Not a glitch or anything. For most of the game you are reading the story and clicking continue to move along. Right near the end there was something I was trying to read that left the screen before I could finish it. (A complaint I posted about recently in Reenie's quibble post.) Fortunately, Arglefumph has a video walkthrough so I was able to read it. Not much to miss but still!

Oh, looks like there is only a SE version; no CE.

Marian, regarding that flash thing, it sounds like it doesn't want to work with Firefox which is what I use. That's what I was talking about. So, it is not a program that is installed? Do you have to have an internet connection while playing a game that uses it?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/09/21 02:39 PM

I have Firefox too. They are working on it so that it will work with Firefox for everyone, I believe. I don't think it requires the internet while playing a game. I will let you know when I find out more about it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/09/21 07:53 PM

So Mad - yes I did buy that game, and yes I like it. Will likely do more of the series.

Also, after Reenie's mention of Macabre Mysteries... I have downloaded the demo. Haven't tried it yet.
I'm resilient though, can stand a plethora of hidden object scenes. We'll see. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/09/21 08:11 PM

8dognight reviewed Macabre Mysteries in our Reviews thread.

Here is the post:

Macabre Mysteries: Curse of the Nightingale

Blue Tea, 2011

Most people who play these games already know that Curse of the Nightingale, apparently a stand alone as I could not find any others available in a Macabre Mysteries series although there may have been some, is a great game. The plot doesn't revolve around a kidnapping. The graphics are pleasing, particularly in the HO screens. At some point, Blue Tea went a hair blurry in the overall look of some of the games, although I hasten to add that those games are usually well above average, too.

One particularly useful facet of Curse of the Nightingale is the diary/journal which contains a map and cast of characters with blurbs about them that are fleshed out as the game progresses. The map is also a minor hint system (it's easy to get a bit lost in the theater) but not one that overpowers exploration. The same is true with objectives; they're in the journal but you don't have to consult them. For inventory hints, I discovered this time around that I could place an object over the eye on the extreme left of the inventory bar and get a close-up of where to use it. I should mention I usually skip tutorials even when I could have used one later.

I normally avoid playing games set entirely within a theater because they feel too confined. Not this one.

HO screens give off a slightly out of focus bubbly quaver to alert the player, and sometimes a spark or two rises from other hotspots. But this is a wonderful game, so those visual cues are forgivable. There were two inventory items I wouldn't have found otherwise although in my defense I am less observant when developers hold my hand than when they don't.

Steven Xhao was the main creative force behind this game. From cursory googling I gather he is now making VR games. It's almost enough to prod me into investigating them.

To get a 2018 HOPA as immersive as Nightingale, I would pay twice the price.

ETA: I noticed another good quality. After finishing the game, I started the bonus game then closed out. When I returned, I carelessly clicked on the main game which started up again from the beginning. I thought, "Darn, now the bonus game will be chained up again." No, that didn't happen. Under the same profile, the bonus game remained open. Very thoughtful of Blue Tea.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/09/21 11:08 PM

I have actually played Macabre Mysteries, probably after reading this review of 8dognight but even re-reading it now, I can't remember anything about it. I'm pretty sure I liked it though.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/10/21 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
So Mad - yes I did buy that game, and yes I like it. Will likely do more of the series.

I'm onto the bonus game of Chimeras : Cherished Serpent now, Tally Ho.

The main game didn't seem as long as that of the Mark of Death one and I, personally, didn't think it was quite as good a main game either .... although it WAS still pretty enjoyable yes

EDIT :

Yes. I definitely found it shorter - and have now finished the bonus game as well grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/15/21 05:46 AM

I started playing Drawn 1: The Painted Tower tonight for the first time. It is quite different! I'm playing from a disc in my Windows 7 computer but it still opens up the BF app which drives me crazy and when it closed, my desktop went blank with only my background picture on it and no icons or task bar or anything. Scared the heebie jeebies out of me for about 30 seconds which seemed longer. Then everything came back. Whew! Don't like that! This game is from 2009.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/15/21 07:13 AM

Weirdly, over the years, games I have bought on disk have, at some time, appeared without warning or a given reason, in my Big Fish Purchase History woozy

So I've tended to play the BF version on a re-play.

And I do have the two "Drawn" games on disk but haven't noticed if they also have appeared in my account as BF versions.
So I will look .... when I think on !!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/15/21 08:27 AM

The game doesn't show in my purchase history, only acts as if it is. I've had other casual disc games do that on occasion. I don't like that.

By the way, there are three Drawn games.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/15/21 08:46 AM

Oh, yes !! I had forgotten about a third game.
I don't think I ever bought it.
But I'm not sure - without going to look 🙄

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/16/21 02:33 PM

I can't remember if I ever played the third Drawn game. Will have to look into it!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/16/21 05:13 PM

If you've played the third one, you might remember the croquet game where you have to play through about ten wickets, taking turns with an opponent every time you miss.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/16/21 06:13 PM

That doesn't particularly sound fun Uncle Reg. I do plan on playing all three games though.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/16/21 06:26 PM

I just finished replaying the CE version of Nightfall Mysteries: Black Heart. It is a satisfyingly long game with a combination of hokey stuff ("NYAH-HA-HA" villains with outrageously bad accents) and great graphics with tough puzzles. I think it is about three years old but has held up well. Good Game Manual if you get stuck. The Map keeps track of where you are and locations where there is action to be taken. Most of the time, you are alone inside the castle, but there are a variety of outdoor environments, occasional meetups with others and a lot of running back and forth. The HO scenes aren't bad on the whole; just a few with VERY small parts or very well camouflaged. The story is loosely based on a vampire family wanting to resurrect its leader but you, as the intrepid detective, are tasked with preventing this. It is a good, long game and I think I enjoyed it more on replaying it than originally. The last scene foreshadows a follow-up story/game, but I don't know if one was created.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/16/21 06:39 PM

There is a game after this one called Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past. I don't know if it follows up on Black Heart or not since I haven't played them yet. If you don't have it, maybe you can check it out. (Or maybe somebody else already knows and can tell you.)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/16/21 06:48 PM

There are four Nightfall Mysteries games.

Black Heart was the third game and Haunted by the Past was the fourth. Not sure if the fourth game is a continuation of the story in the third, but it apparently has some of the same characters from the third game.

Black Heart, by the way, was released in 2012. Haunted by the Past was released in 2015.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/16/21 07:25 PM

That doesn't particularly sound fun Uncle Reg. I do plan on playing all three games though.

If I remember correctly, it doesn't matter if you win the game or not, you'll still get what you need, so it's really not so bad.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/16/21 09:16 PM

That croquet game doesn't ring a bell, Uncle Reg. I am quite certain now that I haven't played the game.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/16/21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Reg

If I remember correctly, it doesn't matter if you win the game or not, you'll still get what you need, so it's really not so bad.

Sounding better. wink

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/17/21 05:03 PM

Playing Macabre Mystery - Curse of the Nightingale. I quite like it! The hidden object scenes are that style where you assemble an object from twelve hidden pieces, all very ornate. I admit to using a technique that might not be totally legitimate, but it works well. Instead of looking at the necessary pieces first, then searching the scene, I scan the scene picking up what looks like pieces without even knowing what they are yet. Goes pretty fast, and usually results in finding 9 or 10 right off, then actually searching properly for the last few.

I remember seeing the Blue Tea logo before, but can't recall what games I might have played. (Not this one, to be sure)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/17/21 05:40 PM

Tally Ho, Blue Tea is the developer of a lot of the earlier Dark Parables games. They also did a few other games as well.

Your technique for picking up the fragments is the same as mine, actually. I don't consider it to be cheating. grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/17/21 05:57 PM

I also use that technique Tally Ho!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/17/21 06:56 PM

I just replayed Macabre Mysteries, Curse of the Nightingale and enjoyed it all over again. And yep, I'm another one that does a "Scan/Click" of the pile first, too. Sometimes, more than half the items will pop up readily, then you pick out the stragglers. I really don't enjoy "make work," like HOG scenes, and just want to get through them and go on with the game.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/18/21 08:03 AM

hardwall hardwall hardwall

I am not happy right now. My Drawn game is causing issues. To make a long story short, there was a crash, a BF manager error, some other error, and then it seemed to right itself but now I have to start the game from the beginning again. ARGH!! I'm sure it won't take too long to get back to where I was even though I had been playing for 4 hours, except for at least one puzzle that I'm not sure I can complete again, though I guess I can skip it since I know I solved it once.

I knew when the disc game opened up the game manager that I should have made a different desktop shortcut but being lazy I didn't. I have now, and hope that will help. I really should always do that since I don't really like the manager opening every time I exit out of a game.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/18/21 02:39 PM

Oldbroad, if you open up Game Manager and click Options in the upper righthand corner, the next screen will show you four things with some boxes that you can check or uncheck. Check the box that says Quick Exit: Skip the Big Fish Games app when I exit games I've purchased.

If you do that, you won't have the Game Manager opening when you exit out of a game.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/18/21 06:17 PM

Glad I'm not the only one using that method. (and I thought I invented it LOL !)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/18/21 06:58 PM

Thank you for that information Marian! I've never seen that.

Although the problem I had last night wasn't while trying to close the game I'll still do that, but the other desktop shortcut I think keeps you away form the game manager altogether.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/18/21 07:12 PM

Yes, I did not think this was necessarily related to your problem, but good to know about it in any case.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/19/21 06:25 AM

So I restarted Drawn and played for about 1-1/4 hours. I solved that dratted puzzle again and was not quite as far along as I had been when the game crashed again. I could not open it up again either to see if I lost all my time - again. I'm assuming I did. I guess if I have to start from scratch again I may try it in my XP computer at some point, otherwise I'm just not going to be playing these Drawn games.

Wow, I used the word again quite a bit there didn't I?

To top that off, I'm having trouble playing the free Microsoft Solitaire all of a sudden. For some reasons the "ads" keep freezing up and if the ads don't finish, the game won't load. This is in Windows 10, not the same computer I'm playing Drawn in.

smashpc smashpc smashpc

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/19/21 12:59 PM

The only OS I have ever played Drawn in is Windows XP. It would probably be better (at least in this case) to stick with that.

You could try asking over in Glitches about the solitaire problem, although googling it brought up many people posting about the same issue.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/19/21 04:54 PM

Thanks Marian. Yes, XP sounds like the way to go. I've been lazy about booting it up. Never got back to it to try to resolve my 80 Days issue, in fact.

I hadn't Googled about the solitaire issue. I just assume it will eventually work itself out. If not, oh well. It takes my time away from other things I should/could be doing smile.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/19/21 05:06 PM

I have played all 3 of the Drawn games on my Win 7 64 bit more than once, and I can't remember any issues with any of them. I don't have any on disc though, all of mine are the Big Fish downloads.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/19/21 05:10 PM

Thanks for that info Uncle Reg. BF doesn't show Win 7 for these games but it does show Win 8. I'm actually surprised I'm having a problem with it, but I think I'll try XP rather than re-purchasing. Maybe it's something in my computer that the game doesn't like.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/20/21 05:11 PM

I am playing the Bonus round on The Legacy: The Tree of Might, and have to sound the Horn of Excellence for this game. I first played it in 2018, and marked it for Replay. Boy, what great (naturalistic!) graphics, decent voice acting, a plethora of challenging and unique puzzles to solve and an alien world that keeps on going. I've spent nearly three days on this game. The characters don't do stupid things so that they'll generate in the next "problem" to solve in an alien world; they think and act like a wise person would do. It has just the right amount of note-taking and map-following that adds to a game without burying you. There are no false notes, everything fits in its place and nothing boots you out of the magic. This is among the longest-lasting games in the Casual group that I've played. I also played Forgotten Gates in 2017 and already replayed it as well.

Looking at my spreadsheet, I notice two other games in this series that I skipped after trying the Demo. The Prisoner, was one I played and didn't like at all ("Too easy, a find-and-use-it game, bad puzzles, bailed on the Demo"), and Witch Island Origin ("way too easy, silly music, popups, you name it, bailed out"). This illustrates why, even though I may give up on a game, I still will try subsequent games in that series, just in case.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/20/21 05:15 PM

Reenie, the Legacy: Witch Island Origin games are not part of the Legacy series from Five BN and are from a different developer altogether by the name of Itera Laboratories. It can get confusing when titles are so similar, I know. There are three of these Witch Island games, so be advised that they have nothing to do with Five BN.

I thought Legacy: The Prisoner was yet another good game from 5 BN, however. wave

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/20/21 05:41 PM

There is Legacy: Witch Island 1, 2, and 3 and also Origin, so four games I think.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/20/21 05:45 PM

Yes. I was so put off by the first "Witch" game I played that I never looked at the others.

Thanks for the correction on the "The" versus no "The" business, Marian. I've fixed that on my spreadsheet.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/20/21 05:55 PM

You're welcome, Reenie. I am glad you are enjoying your replay of The Tree of Might. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/21/21 05:44 PM

Personally, Reenie, I thought all three "The Legacy" games from 5 BN were first rate. And I've replayed all of them more than once. But obviously you can't please everybody all the time lol

I've just started another Chimeras game .... Inhuman Nature CE .... and liking this one as well thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/21/21 07:15 PM

I restarted Drawn for the 3rd time (well, 2nd restart) in my XP computer and played almost to where I first had a problem. Had to conquer one nasty puzzle 3 times and one 2 times grin. I hope I can make it to the end of the game this time!

I'm also still playing the Faircroft's Antiques game. No problems yet, just not a game I can play for too long.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/21/21 09:05 PM

Glad you are still enjoying the Chimeras series, Mad.

Oldbroad, I hope that Windows XP will do the trick with the Drawn series. Fingers crossed.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/21/21 09:37 PM

The funny thing Marian, is that I thought it wasn't going to play because it was being so slow and sluggish. After a short while I got out of the game and found out why. Apparently it was trying to load the game again while I was playing which, of course, was my fault. Sometimes when I click and something doesn't open up fast enough for me, I click again. The reason I do that is because I often don't seem to click right or in the right place or something.

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed though!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/21/21 11:18 PM

I agree with you, Mad. We all are such different people, with varying reasons for playing these games. It is a good thing the developers aren't all the same in their approach to game style and difficulty, releasing the same type of game each time. If the games didn't vary, and thereby allow some choice in style and difficulty, you'd expect some players to quit buying after a while. The way BF set up things, everyone can find something to meet her taste at a given time. Being allowed to play a Demo before buying is a vital facet in that strategy, too, letting us see what we'd be getting and not being disappointed after buying. So, the system works quite well as it stands.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/22/21 07:33 PM

The Drawn game is glitchy in the area of the clock tower while trying to grow the plant. I opened one of two windows but had to consult a walkthrough to make sure of what I was supposed to be doing then. After I got through that part it was okay (for now at least).

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/22/21 07:48 PM

Here's hoping you can play through to the end of the game!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/23/21 03:02 AM

I'm a bit stumped now. I finished the game (The Legacy: The Tree of Might) and finished the Bonus Chapter as well, but it suddenly ended in suspense ~
with what felt like a challenge ~ ("Don't let (the evil one) reach the Tree of Might."
). I was so surprised. Is that the way the game ends? Is there a sequel? Should I look for another game in this series?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/23/21 01:56 PM

I hope someone who has played the game will be able to answer your question about the ending of the bonus game, Reenie. As of now, there have not been any more installments in this series.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/24/21 05:16 PM

Thanks for the reference to the Legacy games which piqued my interest: I was pleased to find a free demo of the first one (Forgotten Gates) on Steam for the iMac, so I am giving it a try - although rather calmer than much of what I usually play catrub

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/24/21 05:46 PM

If you like this one at all, Lex, I would suggest trying the Lost Lands series from the same developer. There is one continuous story so it is good to start from the beginning. Glad you found a demo for the first Legacy game. wave

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/25/21 07:12 AM

Argh. I'm at Chapter 6 in Drawn which (according to the walkthrough) appears to be a normal chapter and then there are 2 very small chapters after. The game loaded the screen then tried to crash to desktop. Kept flashing and then got stuck on "load screen" (the one that had already been loaded). It didn't even want to shut down with task manager but finally did. I'm afraid to go back in to see if I lost all my playing again. I guess this is what I get for waiting 10 years to play the games I buy although I would think it would work in XP.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/25/21 08:53 AM

The changes in software are a real pain in terms of revisiting older games: I have reconfigured my iMac to keep an older operating system for most of my Steam games (and a few others) partitioned on the same hard drive with the facility to switch between the two, but I am not sure that you can do that on a Windows machine.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/25/21 01:39 PM

You can partition the hard drive on a Windows machine and have two different operating systems on it (a dual boot).

Oldbroad, I too am surprised that the game is giving you trouble on Windows XP.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/26/21 07:51 AM

Well, I didn't lose anything. I played through Chapter 6 using the walkthrough for parts of it as the game was feeling sluggish and I just want to get it finished. When it started getting worse I got out.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/26/21 02:07 PM

Glad to hear you did not lose anything!
Posted By: judith

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/26/21 09:09 PM

Just finished playing one of my older games, Infected: the twin vaccine. It's not a bad game, I was quite entertained

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/26/21 09:35 PM

One game I can say I don't have shocked. Glad you enjoyed yourself judith!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/26/21 09:56 PM

Judith, I replayed that game last year and enjoyed it very much! The Collector's Edition included a Making of video. I believe this is the same video here on YouTube, which you might find of interest. The game was made in Canada.

I am presently playing Laruaville 2 and just hit level 69.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/27/21 04:23 PM

That YouTube video was quite interesting, thanks Marian.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/27/21 06:20 PM

Interesting video Marian!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/27/21 06:57 PM

Finished !Inhuman Nature CE" and enjoyed it thumbsup

Now started "Tibetan Quest : Beyond World's End CE" and this, too, is looking like something I will enjoy dance

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/27/21 07:36 PM

Had to look up Tibetan Quest. Never heard of it. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/27/21 07:37 PM

I haven't played that yet, Mad. I hope you continue to enjoy it. The developer is Brave Giant. smile

I'm glad you both enjoyed the video.

I finished Laruaville 2 and now I'm playing Cursed House 3. I am on a match 3 kick right now because it's hard to focus on anything else when it is this hot.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/28/21 04:39 AM

I just finished a replay of The Beast of Lycan Isle, a game I purchased and played back in 2017. What a pleasure to revisit this one! It is much more like a traditional Adventure game than an HOA. In fact, there are few scenes that would qualify as HO scenes anywhere in the game play, no pop-ups and there is no distraction arising from picking up Collectibles. It is beautifully rendered and what little voice acting is needed is quite natural, not the heavy-handed stuff you encounter in some recent games.

Good note taking and map making are a must (there is no Map function), which suits my gaming style. No one is holding your hand, which feels much more realistic, to me. There are many unique elements and ways to use them as you play and solve the various puzzles that arise.

You can't tweak the settings much in this older game, so I just chose "Difficult" and went with that. It wasn't. I bought the game as a CE, and was glad to have the Guide when things got too obscure at a couple of points.

I seldom take note of who produced a game, but now I am wondering if there are any more like it from whomever issued this one?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/28/21 08:26 AM

I finished Faircroft's Antiques: Treasures of Treffenburg without encountering any glitches, so one down and two to go.

I finished Glass Masquerade (Steam version).

I finished Drawn: The Painted Tower and started Drawn: Dark Flight which also feels sluggish but I played for about 45 minutes without any actual problem, although it took longer than that to run into a problem in the first game so keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm playing it in XP.

I also started Hidden Expedition: The Crown of Solomon and am liking it quite a bit.

And, I'm still playing Runefall and liking it better now that I stopped being crabby about it. It is not what I was hoping to play but it is not really a bad game at all. I have given up trying to play in timed mode. I was doing some when I had enough gold to buy more time but decided that is not worth it. It takes a good hour to play each level and the game does not save mid-level which is not a problem for me but could be for somebody else.

Finished Queen's Garden: Sakura Season but still going in it for relaxation and garden building. I didn't figure out how to plant stuff where I chose to until I already finished the game. You can build six gardens though I think.

I have a free version of Coloring Book from Steam. It is not by number and I am not very creative but I'm dabbling with that now and then. The free pictures are owls, dinosaurs, and abstracts. Other stuff can be purchased but I won't do that. I just wanted to see how it was.

Haven't finished my replay of Pandora's Box yet either and of course I have three adventure games going too.

I think that covers them all crazy.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/28/21 04:57 PM

Thank you, Marian smile

oldbroad .... when do you ever sleep .... with so many games going at once ?? woozy

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/28/21 05:16 PM

I am glad you stuck with Runefall, oldbroad. Sometimes it does pay off to hang in there a bit longer with a game that you aren't all that taken with at first. yes

I don't think I have played The Crown of Solomon, but I do have it. Let us know how it goes.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/28/21 06:43 PM

Obviously I cannot play all of them each day but all of them are quite different so I can pick and choose by my mood. I found that when I have no games going I have trouble getting started on one, so now when I feel I can focus enough to start a game I'll start it and it is then easier to play when I feel like playing.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/28/21 11:37 PM

I tend to have a max of three games on the go. Usually a Casual, an Adventure and an RPG.
Playing a little of each every session.
But I've not done that for a while now .... Just been sticking to two 😬

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/29/21 07:00 PM

"Tibetan Quest : Beyond World's End CE" is a really nice game - so I'm enjoying myself thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/29/21 07:04 PM

Glad to hear it, Mad! I have about 15 levels to go with my match-3 game and will then decide what's up next. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/29/21 08:33 PM

So .... You're doing really well then, Marian. You must like it !! laugh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/29/21 08:35 PM

I do like it, Mad. And it suits me well when my attention span is so poor, what with it being so hot here!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/29/21 09:34 PM

Yes. Your heat wave has been mentioned on our National News.

Sounds horrific. I do hope you are managing.

I would never survive temperatures like that.

20C has me feeling unwell !! sick

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 12:33 AM

I just finished a replay of the Collector's Edition of Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty. I bought this game in 2018. It is a gem of a game, very Adventure-like, but with plenty of HO scenes for those that love them. It is naturalistically drawn and feels like a real location. There are countless rooms, both indoor and garden type, where you can explore and interact with objects. I don't recall any challenging mini-games.

Quibbles:
1) New HO scenes spawn randomly after you have cleared a zone, and you have no way of knowing this. You become stuck, looking for something new to do or some new Inventory item and don't know why you can't get anywhere. You have to wander around until you stumble on a respawned HO scene (or resort to the Hint button to inform you that one has popped up elsewhere).
2) There is no Map, so you had better draw your own as you go along or risk getting lost, big time.
3) Without a Map, you can't "transport" from one location to another, so there is a lot of slogging around in the game.
4) Some of the objects to be found are very small, indeed, whether in a scene or an HO. I had to use the "Hint" more often than normally, to help me find them.

I'm not sure what made it a Collector's Edition, since it did not have a Bonus Game to play. It must have been something else in the game design? Maybe it was the
"boss battle" with the witch
at the end? That felt more like a finish than a bonus, though.

I loved this game and will play it for a third time after I forget enough of it to make it "new" again. bravo

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 12:58 AM

Reenie, I have the game and there is definitely a bonus game.

I just found someone on YouTube playing the bonus game and it also shows you how to access it:

Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Bonus Game

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 04:21 AM

Thanks, Marian. I looked for the Bonus Game but didn't see it and the startup menu seemed to only want me to replay the game. I obviously misread it. No worries!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 02:40 PM

At least next time you play the game you will be able to access it. smile

If you were to reinstall it, the bonus game would still be available to you and you would not have to replay the game from the beginning provided that you do not start a new profile.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 02:44 PM

Looks good - with music by Mussorgsky!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 03:28 PM

The developer, Top Evidence, always had great music to accompany their games.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 05:42 PM

I'm replaying the James Patterson's Women's murder club. I wish they made more of them because the story line really draws you in & keeps you entertained. With some other BF games you lose track of what the story is about.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 06:07 PM

I have the Women's Murder Club games and don't remember them at all except that I enjoyed them. Thanks for reminding me. I will keep them in mind for a replay.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 06:46 PM

I remember liking the Women's Murder Club games also. I have the first three on discs but the fourth one is a download that wouldn't install and I had to play the whole game in one sitting. I like the books too.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 06:58 PM

".... and I had to play the whole game in one sitting."

Not downloaded from Big Fish then ??

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 07:56 PM

Yes, it was downloaded from Big Fish but for some reason would not actually install. Maybe I wasn't doing something right but I can't think what. Or maybe it was installed but didn't show like most games do and I just didn't know to look for it somewhere else? Or maybe it was installed but didn't save my progress or something. This was years ago in my Windows 7 that no longer works. I have a notation next to it "not installed though".

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 08:48 PM

I have three games in the series - none of which I've played yet - and all of which are from Big Fish yes

Looking on-line, however, it appears that five have been released so Big Fish just mustn't carry them all.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 10:11 PM

I have four Women's Murder Club games in my Big Fish Purchase History and I believe that is all there were for the PC. Big Fish still sells all four of them.

I checked here and there was a fifth game released for the DS, with a different developer.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 10:22 PM

Mad, look under "Hidden Object" games from "PC Games Home", under J for James Patterson. All four are there.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 06/30/21 11:59 PM

Thank you both !!

I'll go get this 4th one whilst the sale is on then laugh

But how strange not to always have all 4 games listed together woozy

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/01/21 10:30 PM

I just bought the 4th one also. I have the one for the DS, haven't played it. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/01/21 10:39 PM

Sounds good, you two. Our collections need to be complete! yes

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/02/21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mad
"Tibetan Quest : Beyond World's End CE" is a really nice game - so I'm enjoying myself thumbsup

I guess I lied. I do have this game! Are you still playing it Mad?

EDIT: Well, I thought I quoted my reply where I said I never heard of the game but now I seem to have misplaced that reply??

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/02/21 09:41 PM

Not a lie, ob, just an oversight. wink

I am in the last 10 levels of the 12 Labours of Hercules now. I haven't gotten gold on all levels, but I am doing a bit better the first time around than I thought I would.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/02/21 09:42 PM

Had to look up Tibetan Quest. Never heard of it. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Found it!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/02/21 11:09 PM

I haven't played any Labours of Hercules games, Marian.
Anyway, you seem to be doing well.
Hope you are enjoying yourself grin

And the thought that I might have a BF game that you don't oldbroad, did seem to be rather unlikely !! evil

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/02/21 11:23 PM

lol

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/05/21 07:04 AM

I'm finding Drawn 2 to be a bit of a disappointment. I suppose it is mostly due to the laggy, sticky cursor which makes it very hard to do a lot of stuff and makes the already hard puzzles that much harder. I have skipped about 5 puzzles, very unusual for me, but between the sticky cursor and the puzzles being hard I just couldn't deal with them. But now the final kick in the pants is this one puzzle that can't be skipped that I cannot finish. Here is a video walkthrough if you want to look and have any suggestions. I'm at around 4:20 in the video. There are 2 lanterns that just will not light. Maybe tomorrow they, will but if not, this is end of game for me. Maybe they had to be done in order or something but since I didn't even know what I was supposed to be doing and didn't notice anything happening while I clicked around, they weren't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt_P_KuaiPQ

That very first lantern towards the top and the one on the right (not the far right) next to the tower. There was another one but I finally got that one somehow.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/05/21 06:46 PM

Is Drawn 2 by any chance using a hardware cursor and if so is there an option in the main menu to use a regular cursor instead? I ask because I have had the laggy sticky cursor problem a couple of times and unchecking the hardware cursor fixed this.

I will take a look at the video when I get a chance.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/05/21 09:56 PM

I found people in the BF forum having the same problem. One said to uncheck "aspect ration". That apparently helped me with the lantern on the right but still not the one closest to her (which is the one everybody else was having problems with). I did uncheck "custom cursor" also but cannot tell if that changes anything. If I get past this puzzle maybe I'll be able to tell though I'm not going to replay the game as I am almost finished now.

Thanks Marian!

EDIT: Another poster (or a moderator) suggested trying "windowed mode" and that worked. I finished the game. There wasn't really anything much after this puzzle since I don't have the Collector's Edition. This game says "to be continued". I wonder if it just continued in the bonus chapter since the description for the 3rd game doesn't sound like it continues this. Whatever. I'm done with this one and will see what the next one brings.
Posted By: JKEerie

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/08/21 07:49 PM

I just cancelled my Big Fish membership. All I've been doing is amassing credits. The quality of games offered has really gone downhill...particularly in the HOPA category. So, I spent down my credits to a point where I can use the remainder over the next 180 days. It's really sad. Big Fish used to be a quality site, but no longer. Oh well...

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/08/21 07:55 PM

JKEerie, Big Fish has lost HOPA developers right and left over the past two years. At this point, all they have left as far as I know is Elephant, Domini, Friendly Fox, and Grandma Studios. Five BN also has a HOPA upcoming. Otherwise, it's all come down to those developers and who knows if they have plans to continue into next year. Only time will tell. HOPA developers are dying because they cost more to make than mobile games and many of them have switched to development of mobile games only, which is also more lucrative I believe in the long run.

So if you are not interested in time management games (which continue to be fairly plentiful), there really isn't much left save for variations on soitaire, nonograms, straight HOGs, and match 3. All of this is not solely Big Fish's fault either, as they can't supply more HOPA games if there aren't enough HOPA games being made.

Just thought I would mention this in case you were not aware. I have so many HOPAs now that I have enough to last the rest of my life, and I also replay them. I also like other genres so still have reasons to keep my membership. But having said all of that, I can understand why you feel the way that you do.
Posted By: JKEerie

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/08/21 08:06 PM

I understand, Marian. Even not being a member, I still have access to all my games. It's just purchasing a credit every month just to have it sit because good HOPAs are so few and far between, just doesn't make any sense to me. I had 23 credits, just sitting there. I whittled it down to 9 by purchasing games that I likely would have bypassed as so many of the HOPAs being developed are "same old, same old." Even the Domini games are getting so repetitive. The exception is Five BN. They have developed some of my favorite games...including the Lost Lands series. I have purchased some other puzzle games...but you can only do so many nomograms, or Clutter games before they get "old" as well.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/08/21 08:19 PM

The same sad thought had occurred to me, JKEerie, regarding game quality and quantity declining. I have been buying from BF for over a decade, initially from their store issues before online sales were available. I am sad to see things decline, too. I guess there just isn't enough money in the games to make it worthwhile to develop them these days.

Now, aside from a few series that are terrific (and I snap up each "episode" as it is issued!), it is rare to find an HO that I am eager to buy. I have only bought a handful of games this year, in contrast to dozens more than that previously. I used to buy a game every week or so! Still, I have my purchased games (over 600) and there are several dozen on that list that I have continued to replay during this "game drought." Not sure what I will do when I've replayed them all. Just hoping BF will get over this low point and come back with the goods.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/08/21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JKEerie
I understand, Marian. Even not being a member, I still have access to all my games. It's just purchasing a credit every month just to have it sit because good HOPAs are so few and far between, just doesn't make any sense to me. I had 23 credits, just sitting there. I whittled it down to 9 by purchasing games that I likely would have bypassed as so many of the HOPAs being developed are "same old, same old." Even the Domini games are getting so repetitive. The exception is Five BN. They have developed some of my favorite games...including the Lost Lands series. I have purchased some other puzzle games...but you can only do so many nonograms, or Clutter games before they get "old" as well.

I agree. And I also agree that Five BN can seemingly do no wrong when it comes to HOPAs. I am replaying New York Mysteries: Secrets of the Mafia CE right now and boy is it a good game.

Next up for Five BN is another entry in the Lost Lands series, or so I have heard.

Wow - 23 credits. I can see why you needed to do something about that!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/14/21 04:16 AM

I started Hope Lake this evening. I'm only about an hour into it but am quite impressed with it so far. We will see how it goes. I wasn't expecting all that much when I started it but thus far it's a very solid game. There are some HOP scenes but it feels more like an adventure game.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/14/21 05:49 AM

I'm glad you mentioned Hope Lake Marian. I was sure I had this game but it was not on my games list. When I saw the picture on BF I was even more sure I had it (although I have it from Steam). I wonder what other games I have that somehow missed being listed.

I finished Hidden Expedition: The Crown of Solomon. It was pretty good. I also finished Drawn 2 and am about half way through Drawn 3. I'm also playing Mystery PI: The Vegas Heist (straight HOG).

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/14/21 02:03 PM

I have one or two of those Mystery PI games. I do find them enjoyable.

I haven't played Crown of Solomon. I also haven't played Drawn 3. Will have to rectify that this year.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/15/21 05:59 PM

Most of the free iPad games I play are plastered with adverts throughout and mainly, lately, they have been about Casual games - including several by Five BN.

So rather nice that good Casuals are getting some extra publicity thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/15/21 06:21 PM

Well, I just finished Hope Lake. I thought this was a really good game and it is also a very long game, longer than many CEs I have played. If you are looking for a long and mostly adventure game, I would definitely recommend it.

I have so many games in my Purchase History that I have picked up over the years with free game codes that this one could easily have been overlooked. I am so glad it was not. It makes me wonder what other gems I have yet to discover.

Mad, nice to know that the casuals are getting more publicity and Five BN is an extremely good representative!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/15/21 07:54 PM

Thanks, Marian. I will check it out today.

I played the Demo and immediately bought Hope Lake. It was a bit confusing at first since it doesn't have the usual breakdown of Settings choices. (The music was annoying and repetitive, but by turning it down, I lost all conversation and much ambient sound.) Still, it was worth it, to play this game. I was so into playing it that I don't think I stopped for any lunch.

I agree that it is much more Adventure-like than most of today's HOAs. The gloomy story was matched perfectly with gloomy set design. There was none of that purple smoke and candy-colored paint palette that seem more applicable to a child's game but is ever-present in HOAs these days. The HO scenes weren't obtrusive, and had their own little twists. There were a few minis that were quite original, something I appreciate. A few were deliciously challenging. I did end up skipping one because I couldn't figure out WTH I was supposed to be doing.

There is a lot of running around in this game, so map-drawing skills are vital to your progress, as is note-taking. If a game has me drawing a map, taking notes and scratching my head from the very beginning, I consider it to be well on the way to a winner. It is a bit lonely, being all by yourself, but that's not a biggee. All in all, a terrific play and it lasted all day. I marked this one down as a definite replay. I just have to wait a while, so I can forget enough of it to make it fresh again. Thanks for pointing me toward to Hope Lake, as I don't usually go only for the extended play offered in CE versions of these games. It is a helluva game!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/17/21 08:57 AM

Finished Drawn 3 tonight. This series would have been quite enjoyable for me if only the games weren't so glitchy and sluggish. I am thankful though that I was able to get through to the end of each of them.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/17/21 02:17 PM

Glad to hear you made it through, oldbroad. It will be interesting to see how the games run on my computer. Not sure when I will try one as yet.

After finishing Hope Lake, I played The Saint: Abyss of Death (interesting because the setting was kind of unusual) and also Committed: Mystery at Shady Pines, which I also enjoyed.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed Hope Lake, Reenie! Thanks for letting us know. thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/17/21 07:31 PM

I have never heard of either of those two games Marian! I'm off to investigate. sherlock

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/17/21 07:38 PM

I have never heard of either of those two games Marian! I'm off to investigate. sherlock

Even better! wink

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/17/21 08:15 PM

I put them on my list. We'll see. The Saint: Abyss of Despair does look different.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/20/21 02:31 AM

I've been playing Avalon Legends Solitaire for the last day or two. I have played it before but never got to the end. The goals get quite challenging as you go along. It is a very pleasant and relaxing game to play while I am trying to decide what game is next.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/20/21 11:21 PM

I spent so much time on the Adventure "A Tale of Two Kingdoms" that I very much neglected "Tibetan Quest : Beyond World's End CE" so now I will properly get back to it yes

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/25/21 05:47 AM

I started Legendary Tales: Stolen Life tonight and played for about 3 hours. Definitely a good game as others have stated.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/25/21 02:31 PM

Mad, I hope you are still enjoying Tibetan Quest. Oldbroad, you really can't go wrong with Five BN.

I started the CE of Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove yesterday. I had only played it once back in 2009 when it was first released. Six hours in (the game keeps track of how long you play) and not done yet. I am enjoying it very much.

Oh, and on the Big Fish Fans Facebook page, someone reported that a new HOPA beta has been released for surveys, and it's called Redrawn: The Painted Tower. Yes, a remastered version of the original Drawn: The Painted Tower. I never saw that coming. I had been thinking about replaying the original Drawn but will hold off on that now until the remastered version is released.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/25/21 07:25 PM

Of course Marian. I talked about the game and they were listening. lol

In a different thread you mentioned two remastered HOPAs. I'm assuming one was Living Legends but can't remember what the other might be?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/25/21 07:33 PM

The two remastered games were both Living Legends; one was Living Legends: Frozen Beauty and the other was Living Legends: Ice Rose.

And yes, oldbroad, they must have been reading your posts. grin

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/25/21 08:48 PM

Thanks!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/26/21 07:40 AM

"Mad, I hope you are still enjoying Tibetan Quest. Oldbroad, you really can't go wrong with Five BN."

Thanks, Marian. However, I haven't got back to any games, yet, due to being unwell from the ridiculously hot weather duh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/26/21 09:50 AM

I'm sorry the weather is getting to you again Mad! frown

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/26/21 01:42 PM

For me, it's been the hottest summer here I can ever remember. It is unrelenting and debilitating, so I more than understand, Mad!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/26/21 05:54 PM

yes Thanks, Marian and oldbroad smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/27/21 09:25 PM

I am replaying House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster and loving it every bit as much as the first time, back in 2012. I gave three out of four games in this series my highest personal rating. Superb artwork and animation, unique puzzles and mini-games, excellent graphic compositions in each scene, long game play. There are four "worlds" to explore and I have only gotten through about half the first of the four. Wish there were ten games in this series, instead of only four. (I didn't enjoy the fourth one as much as the others (Evil Inside). It seemed their creativity was lost in the shuffle and it devolved into the tired trope of vampires. That was a shame.)

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/27/21 10:16 PM

Evil Inside was made by a different developer from the other 1000 Doors games. Some people seemed to like it, others not so much. I have not played that one.

Glad you are enjoying your replay of Zoroaster, Reenie. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/28/21 03:58 AM

Ah, thanks for the background, Marian. It makes sense now why I didn't like the fourth game as much as the others.
Posted By: smitty145

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/30/21 03:08 AM

I started Hope Lake this evening. I'm only about an hour into it but am quite impressed with it so far. We will see how it goes. I wasn't expecting all that much when I started it but thus far it's a very solid game. There are some HOP scenes but it feels more like an adventure game.

Marian, Thanks to you, I played Hope Lake two days ago and loved it!

Mad, Thanks to you, I played Tibetan Quest......another super game, finished it in the wee hours of the morning. Hope you're feeling better, Mad!

Last week I played MCF: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove CE and really enjoyed it by stretching it out over a few days.
There were a few others I played but did not enjoy them as much as these three games.

wave2

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/30/21 06:27 AM

I have mostly finished Mystery PI: The Vegas Heist - just have the bonus HOGs to play. I also finished Legendary Tales: Stolen Life with the exception of some bonus puzzles that I'm working on. There was just one puzzle I didn't complete that was in the bonus chapter. I tried it on two separate nights but wasn't getting anywhere and it just wasn't fun enough for me to keep trying so I used the Guide to finish it. Also, there was one puzzle in the bonus chapter that I didn't understand what to do with and I looked at the guide but still didn't understand it, but I solved it by clicking around.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/30/21 12:25 PM

Smitty, that is so cool that you played Hope Lake and enjoyed it! Hope things are okay with you. smile

Thanks for keeping us posted on your casual gaming, oldbroad. I am playing a match 3 at present: Gaslamp Cases The Deadly Machine, but plan on getting into something else pretty soon.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/30/21 06:55 PM

How is that Gaslamp Cases game?

And, I meant to say to smitty145, we (or at least I am) are interested in hearing what games you've been playing even if you didn't like them as much. yes

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/30/21 06:59 PM

Oldbroad, it's a nice match 3 game. It has pleasant music. The actual game play is nothing special and there is no timer. I'm not usually all that enthusiastic about untimed match 3 games, but I just felt like playing something relaxing in this instance. I am 55% through it (there is a progress bar at the top of the screen that shows you how far along you are).

And yes, I too am interested in games that someone played but did not think were all that great.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/30/21 09:19 PM

Same here, Marian. I would embrace hearing a BAD review every bit as much as a GOOD one, especially if the comments contain explanations (Not just "I didn't like it," but something more helpful = "The graphics were muddy" or "The HO objects were very hard to see" or "There were glitches in the game play"). Descriptive tidbits can help the rest of us more easily decide if the game might work for us or not.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/31/21 09:07 PM

I just re-played Lost Lands, the Golden Curse. Wow! I though it was good the first time; liked it even better this time. 5BN games can do no wrong, in my humble opinion.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 07/31/21 10:17 PM

I also replayed Lost Lands: The Golden Curse in the last two months and it was just as good as I remembered, if not better. I so agree with you, Tally Ho.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/05/21 06:10 PM

I just played the first Pahelika game and have started the second game (from discs). I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting but I thought these games would be better. They are just okay; quite a click fest to find something to interact with. They sort of remind me of the 100 Doors game I played not too long ago, but darker themed.

I plan to start the second Legendary Tales game, Cataclysm, soon I think.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/05/21 07:44 PM

I finished Gaslamp Cases: The Deadly Machine. It was a pleasant play.

I got sidetracked from my casual game playing otherwise the last few days because my son and I were working on getting certain games running on my computer. Having said that, I now have Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses and the New Adventures of the Time Machine running perfectly so our time spent on this paid off.

I do have Dark Sisterhood: The Initiation installed and I think that will be the next casual that I play.

I remember demo'ing the first Pahelika game years ago but did not find it interesting enough to purchase. Maybe it gets better?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/05/21 08:31 PM

I was never able to play The New Adventures of the Time Machine. It wouldn't work on anything I tried it in. Did you set it up in Win 10?

I will have to look up Dark Sisterhood: The Initiation. I don't have that game.

I can't say that Pahelika 1 got any better as I went along and Pahelika 2 seems (so far) to be pretty much just like the first game.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/05/21 08:36 PM

I set it up in Windows 7, but another guy I know is running it in Windows 10 with pretty much the same directions.

Good to know about Pahelika.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/06/21 02:44 PM

Just finished another match 3 game, Catherine Ragnor and the Legend of the Flying Dutchman. Nice graphics, good voiceovers, fun to play. I enjoyed it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/06/21 06:12 PM

I'll have to check it out Marian!

Oh yeah, the pirate one. Something interesting about pirates smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/06/21 06:38 PM

Yes, it's not as good as Caribbean Hideaway (but what is?), but I do enjoy the pirate-themed games!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/06/21 07:20 PM

I've been thinking recently about replaying Caribbean Hideaway but my arm is almost constantly in pain as it is, and that game will just make it worse so I've been avoiding it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/10/21 10:35 PM

Just started my first ever James Patterson Women's Murder Club game so I'll let you know how I like it 😊

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/10/21 10:45 PM

Please do, Mad! You have reminded me that I want to replay one of those games as years later I don't remember anything about them.

I finished another match 3 game: Academy of Magic: Lair of the Beast. Not sure what's up next.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/11/21 06:20 PM

Well .... I've been delivered all the paperwork for the first half year of the accounts that I run voluntarily for a local Charity School .... so it might be a while before I get to play the game now, Marian !! woozy

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/11/21 07:03 PM

I know that will keep you busy for a while, Mad! I hope it goes smoothly. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/12/21 06:53 PM

Me too, Marian laugh Thank you.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/14/21 11:07 PM

I am still working my way through Pahelika 2. I started Faircroft's Antiques 2: Home for Christmas last night.

The Legendary Tales 2: Cataclysm has some really nice puzzles in it including a sort of timed HO scene eek.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/14/21 11:35 PM

I haven't played the second Legendary Tales yet.

Even though I am not all that fond anymore of straight hidden object games, Boomzap has said that if the Faircroft's games as well as the I Love Finding Cats game do well enough, then they might have enough money to make another HOPA. So I will be supporting them by picking up the games that they are making at present, even though they are not HOPAs.

I just finished another match 3 game, The Enthralling Realms: The Blacksmith's Revenge, which I enjoyed. I am now finally going to move on to a different genre!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/15/21 12:10 AM

I know people were having trouble with the Faircroft games. I did not have any trouble in Win 7 with the first game. I have only played 3 chapters of the 2nd game so far. The only problem I had was when I opened the game. I got a Game Manager error but I think I was impatient and clicked the game icon twice. I then clicked on the manager to open it to make sure it worked and then the game opened up. I have the setting for the manager not to open (thank you) but maybe that is a problem with these games. I don't know. I haven't yet bought the I Love Finding Cats game. I like mixing straight HOG games in with my other games.

I forgot. I am also playing a Match 3 game, Summer in Italy. It is another easy, but relaxing, type of Match 3.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/18/21 07:24 AM

Now you did it Marian. You got me playing Caribbean Hideaway again! smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/18/21 01:43 PM

Now you did it Marian. You got me playing Caribbean Hideaway again! smile

Oh, boy! I think I have played through that about six times at this point. Have fun! laugh

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/25/21 12:05 AM

I just finished a new (to me) game, entitled [bEdge of Reality: Ring of Destiny[/b], and it was darned good! CE version. It has the usual clichés of demonic possession, dragons that will help if you cure them and lots of things to be repaired. ha ha Adequate map that lets you transport around once you've been somewhere new. Decent artwork, some creative puzzles and thought-provoking challenges. A few of the puzzles/mini-games were tough enough to get me grinning! Paper and pencil recommended. No music puzzles, no math, a recipe or two to collect items for and concoct. There were several "board game" type puzzles requiring some concentration, planning and restarting. The game lasted a good long time, too, although the Bonus Game was a bit short. I definitely will replay this one after a year or so, when I've forgotten its details.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/25/21 12:37 AM

Hi Reenie,

Not trying to be nit-picky but is it Edge of Reality: Ring of Destiny? I believe there are 7 games in this series, which I have but have not played.

I did finish Legendary Tales: Cataclysm though. I spent around 11 hours on the main game and another 3 hours on the bonus chapter. I skipped one puzzle after a not very long time though. I first looked in the guide which was not helpful and decided that particular puzzle wasn't worth any more of my time. Then I played all of the "extra" puzzles and games so I really got a lot of time out of that game! yes

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/25/21 04:29 AM

You are right, and I just changed my post. Thank you! I do get the names of these multiple "sets" mixed up.

I have tried almost all of the games in that series, but have not found half of them worth buying, certainly not as good as Destiny. Usually, it is because of poor graphics or the game being too easy or so silly that I bailed on the Demo. Lethal Predictions is also darned good, though. Excellent graphics in that one.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/25/21 07:09 AM

Tonight I forced myself to finish Pahelika: Revelations. I cannot say I liked this game much. It didn't make any sense to me and I didn't find it fun to play. I used the guide (written by Ana) for at least half of the game.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/25/21 06:18 PM

Am almost at the end of my voluntary accounts work now (for the half year, anyway) so sneaked a little time off for myself and played some of "Phantasmat" (Crucible Peak) .... and am quite enjoying it dance

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/25/21 06:27 PM

I replayed Crucible Peak last year and enjoyed it very much, Mad. smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/25/21 06:34 PM

Phantasmat - another series I have but haven't started.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/25/21 06:48 PM

Crucible Peak was the one Phantasmat game with the developer of ERS/AMAX.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/26/21 07:38 PM

Thanks for that info, Marian smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/26/21 11:35 PM

I am playing the CE of Bridge to Another World: Endless Game now. The puzzles are all easy, which is typical with the BTAW series. This game makes up for it by including creative little twists and new puzzle designs that make the puzzles fun despite their simplicity. Also, I am enjoying the wonderful art quality of the game. Trees are green with brown trunks, animals are natural colors rather than purple or bright turquoise, clouds drift, grasses and trees lean in the wind, snow glitters. It is such a treat after so many candy-colored environments! There is a bad guy, of course, but the game folks are up to the task. Some of the other games in this series mildly disappointed (too easy, "hostile," cartoonish or even silly) but this one really is hitting the sweet spot for me. As good as the "Alice" and "Endless Game" chapters of the BTAW series, for sure! Definitely will want to replay it.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/27/21 12:12 AM

Thanks for your comments on the game, Reenie. I have purchased this one but haven't played it yet. I look forward to it. Sounds like a good one! smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 08/27/21 08:28 AM

I like some challenge in my puzzles but mostly I like them to be fun! I haven't played any of these games yet.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/01/21 03:29 AM

I finished Faircroft's Antiques 2: Home for Christmas a few days ago. I had one bad crash in Chapter 17 of 20 but the game continued on after that with no more problems. I can't really say the game was that good though. The bit of story it had seemed to be all over the place and didn't make much sense.

I am still playing Caribbean Hideaway. I just made it to Chapter 92. I spent 3 days trying to conquer Chapter 91. Every time you play the level 5 of your citizens become unemployed. During these 3 days, 840 citizens became unemployed. You do the math! scared

Edit: Finished! rah Now, off to sleep bedtime

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/01/21 02:07 PM

Fantastic!! urock woot

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/01/21 08:34 PM

I, too, want fun from my Casuals, oldbroad. Not just to be constantly challenged yes

However >>>>> The following sounds pretty challenging to me >>>> for your part !! rotfl

"I am still playing Caribbean Hideaway. I just made it to Chapter 92. I spent 3 days trying to conquer Chapter 91. Every time you play the level 5 of your citizens become unemployed. During these 3 days, 840 citizens became unemployed. You do the math!"

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/05/21 11:57 PM

I've finished Crucible Peak so started another Phantasmat (possibly by the previous developer ??) to see what the differences, if any, might be ....

This one is called Town of Lost Hope smile

[But it's so long since I played a Phantasmat, will I be able to tell woozy]

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/06/21 12:15 AM

Town of Lost Hope was developed by Eipix and is no longer available for purchase on the Big Fish website, so I am glad you already have it in your Purchase History. I hope you enjoy it. wave

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/06/21 05:57 PM

Having great fun with Caribbean Hideaway thanks to oldbroad's comments - available on the iMac (with Mojave OS) at a nice low price from macgamestore.com thumbsup

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/06/21 06:19 PM

Caribbean Hideaway is one of my top match-3 games - glad you are enjoying it, Lex! smile

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/06/21 06:59 PM

Marian turned me onto Caribbean Hideaway 4 years ago. I believe I've played it 3 times. Enjoy Lex! wave

Didn't we used to have some pirate smiley thing?

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/06/21 10:44 PM

Town of Lost Hope was developed by Eipix and is no longer available for purchase on the Big Fish website, so I am glad you already have it in your Purchase History. I hope you enjoy it. wave

I'm liking it quite a bit more more than Crucible Peak yes
[Even though I did also enjoy that one.]

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/06/21 10:47 PM

That's great to hear, Mad. smile

Oldbroad, yes, I miss that pirate smiley!

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/09/21 06:24 AM

I am replaying Dark Parables: Queen of Sands now. I have played something like 17 games in this long-running series. About half the games are excellent, and the other half range from good to forgettable. This one rates with the best ones and is the fourth Dark Parables I've replayed. The other really great game in this series is Requiem for Shadow.

The HO scenes aren't too intrusive, the art is beautifully rendered, the mini-games are innovative as well as challenging (you can select Easy or Hard when you start the game), and although there is nothing new to the plots, the stories are good enough to keep you engaged. They come with an excellent map and the ability to choose how much HELP you want as you play.

Re: What Casual Games Are You Playing Right Now? - Part Two - 09/09/21 02:36 PM

I still have a few Dark Parables games left to play for the first time, Reenie. Among those are the two you mention, and I am looking forward to playing them. smile
© 2021 GameBoomers Community