GB HOMEPAGE

The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably)

Posted By: nickie

The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 10:23 AM

Here's a brand new shiny thread just waiting for comments or questions. :christmas:
Posted By: Drizzt

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 02:08 PM

So I was just done ranting about the combat system's new problem;

Quote:
Yeah, it used to work really great before, but now I'm in the swamp trying to kill those C-something that rises out of the ground. I click once...click twice...wait, nothing happens. I die. Reload. Try again, click frantically this time. Nothing happens. Reload again, and try...sometimes he attacks, sometimes he doesn't. Most of the time he's just standing there like a vegetable.

Does anyone else have this problem? He simply refuses to attack it.
Posted By: looney

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 02:51 PM

Drizzt, he used to do that to me too. I figured out if I could click close to the ground where he was standing, to get him to move at all, the he would be okay.

Of course this isn't gonna help with the echinops in the swamp, they are just too quick! Did you try casting igni? The fire does good damage! You may be standing still with them cuz they can stun you.

In any case, eventually the problem went away for me and he was a good fighter again. Make sure you aren't just being stunned, and if that's not it, I'd recommend going off to do something else for a bit and then try going back later.

Oh yeah, in the leveling up, there is a talent to deflect arrows, this is a great help with those plants too, he can deflect some of those poison darts.

Posted By: syd

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 03:08 PM

Acccck - not sure if I should apply the new patch or not. I think right now I'll hold off for a bit. My load times aren't all that horrible and I'd hate to mess up what I've done so far even though I'm still in Chapter 1.

I hope I didn't start a national incident however. I decided to tell the elves to take a hike instead of letting them rip off a merchant (I forget his name) - and they are a trifle miffed at me to say the least. I did buy the book of monsters that told me about drowners so I now have my brains that I can take back to the Reverend.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 03:38 PM

Oh no, Syd, you've really done it now! eek Run for cover!
I'm kidding! There are lots of decisions that you'll be making, and each one has an effect on things later. Some are big effects and some are small,and some are just there with no effects at all. You just never know!
I'm trying hard to make different decisions this time around, but it's not easy! I didn't want to let them take the stuff either!

As far as the new patch goes, it isn't what caused my little glitch with Geralt like Drizzt has, that was before. The new glitches I have after the new patch are pretty minor so far, so all in all I think it's a good patch!

Now if I could just find a good patch for my housework! lol
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 04:36 PM

Drizz, I still have trouble with those horrid plant things. I have the best luck when I click on that thickish part just above the ground. It seems once I get that part, I can hack away to my hearts desire - until the next series of chained attacks starts again and I have to click on that part again!

I haven't had a single problem with the new patch - yet. I played the entire Epilogue with it and it was fine. So far I'm only into the Outskirts part on my second go-around, but no issues. I'll be curious to see what happens when I get to the Merchant's Quarter in Vizima. The only place I had problems with there before was in the place where all the merchants were. It would get choppy.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 06:00 PM

Can you make a decision that leads to a game stopping mistake? I decided to believe Abigal and fought all the townsfolk - can't remember if Migul was there or not but I sure as heck can't find him now so I can't get into the city. Shani is across the river waiting for me but Geralt won't swim across to meet her. I know Migul guards the gate during the day - is there a certain time? Maybe I need to get some more Christmas shopping done to clear my head lol

Thanks looney - maybe I'll try the patch -
Posted By: Rowan

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 06:49 PM

Drizzt, to fight those plants you need to be up close and personal. An enchanted weapon works best but in the beginning before I had any enchantments an ordinary axe worked better than the witcher sword. There is no red ring around the plant so you just have to keep clicking when the sword icon flames and hope the plant dies before you do.

Syd, check all the corpses after the fight. The dead Reverand should have a pass you can use to get into the city. There are 2 bridges into the city. If one side doesn't let you in try the other one. It's been a while since I played but I think you have to find a secret sewer entrance. Maybe someone with a more recent memory can confirm.
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 07:10 PM

Well, I uninstalled and luckily I was able to find the old original update. So I'm back up and running, load times are a little long and I hit one crash, but that was after three hours of playing; not a big deal. Much better than the "lights-out" glitch I kept hitting scared All in all I'm happier without the patch. Might just be the way my system is configured, who knows...
Posted By: Milee10

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 08:36 PM

I had another nasty thing happen last night that never happened before the patch, but maybe I was just lucky before. In a couple of fights my sword accidentally hit a few innocent people that made them into enemy's and I had to kill them. The first were the Mercenary's guarding the little village where the Reverend is (chapter 1). We were fighting the Barghests and I hit somebody else without knowing it. The Mercenary's all turned on me. The second was a Merchant walking on the road before getting to the village. He of course just ran away screaming for help. The next day all seemed fine and my actions the night before didn't matter. What if I kill someone important...like the Knight down in the sewers who wants to tag along and help?? I thought the game protected friendlies! Has anyone else had this happen???

P.S. I just found this in the patch release notes: Now you can't attack neutral NPCs if you input the second (etc.) sword sequence in them, while first attacking a hostile.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 08:45 PM

Sounds like err on the side of caution until more is known about the patch, unless you currently just can't play the game as is.
Posted By: oldman

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 08:57 PM

Hmmm, well the patch is working great for me. The save loading is much faster, going through doors is faster but I haven't noticed one iota of difference when changing maps (ie going from the city to the swamp. However, what was done, for me, is an improvement.

I'm now in the middle of Act II and the patch is working fine for me and I have encountered no problems.

Oh, I did upgrade my video card recently to a GeForce 8800 GTX.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: oldman

Oh, I did upgrade my video card recently to a GeForce 8800 GTX.

Yea, that would make a bit of a difference lol You're set for awhile with that monster... thumbsup

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/22/07 10:23 PM

Nickie - I will have to be careful and do more saving like before in case someone gets killed by accident. I can't play without the patch which is why I had to give-up last time until the patch came out.

Oldman - I'd give my eye teeth to have your new video card, but just can't swing it right now. I've got a Geforce 7600 GS which is only middle ground as far as needed specks go for the game. I needed a new sound card more which has helped. By the time I can afford to upgrade to a 8800 I'm sure a newer version will be taking the lime light. Oh well, one step at a time pacify.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/23/07 01:27 AM

Yes, I was thinking of you when I wrote that Milee. At least hopefully you can now play and enjoy!
That's wonderful Oldman - are you noticing a huge difference? bravo

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/23/07 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: nickie

That's wonderful Oldman - are you noticing a huge difference? bravo

Definitely Nickie. Before I had to reduce all my settings on The Witcher to the bare minimum and now I'm playing with everything maxed and it's working fine.

Of course, by the time the next big game comes out my card will probably be at the bottom of the heap. rotfl woozy

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/23/07 06:00 AM

Me too, oldman! But getting to play a game of this calibur on my nearly 4 year old computer is just a hoot for me! I haven't cranked up any of my settings, but I may give it a try now.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/23/07 09:17 AM

Isn't that the truth! Usually by the time you walk out of the store with something for the computer, it's already obsolete. But hopefully your card will do you well for some time.
Posted By: Drizzt

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/23/07 10:22 AM

Hm, I would very much like to try again, but I got sucked into Arcanum instead. laugh Such a wonderful game. You can tell it's people from Black Isle that have made it...it's Fallout's spiritual successor. I would even wager it's built on the same engine.

Anyway, the patch overall was very effective in reducing loading times...now if only JoWood would make a similar patch to Gothic 3...

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/23/07 04:42 PM

Well I made it into Chapter 2. Seems my problem with Mikul was the fact I didn't realize there were stairs on that second bridge. Once I discovered that I was home free. Now I'm in Vizima and just got the you know what kicked out of me by a bunch of Assassins. Almost had them (I thought), turned around and wham - 6 of them hit me at once and I was a gonner.

oldman I'm jealous of your card also. I held one in my hands and drooled over it but it was either buy the video card or make a house payment (okay I exaggerated a bit but it felt like that) lol I bought a 8600 GTS instead and actually have no complaints - I'm playing the game on max settings without a hitch (other than I'm getting clobbered by bad guys right and left).

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/23/07 10:04 PM

Syd, some tips for whatever they're worth.

1. Running is good. When you run around you build up your stats to fight again.

2. Do all the side quests and you'll level up more and get strong enough to fight another day.

3. Use the Ard sign as much as you can.

4. Don't forget Swallow and Tawny Owl.

5. Don't get killed. shame rotfl

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/23/07 11:43 PM

That's one wise man! rotfl

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/24/07 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: oldman
5. Don't get killed. shame rotfl

That's what I'm doing wrong slapforehead grin

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/24/07 03:02 AM

I've always thought that developers should level the playing field a bit and grant XP points for repeated deaths of the main character. The games would go much smoother for me... lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/24/07 04:44 PM

I accidentally clicked on a good guy once too. When he turned into an enemy I just ran away and when I went back later, he was back to being a good guy. I think it was the Royal Huntsman and I wouldn't want to get rid of him! He gives me lots of money!

My gameplay has improved exponentially. It's wonderful for my system with this new patch.

I don't mean to stack posts, but AACCKKKK! I'm playing in the medium mode this time and am have a terrible time killing the beast. Does anyone have any tips here? I'm using Aard, running around, have potioned up with Swallow and enhanced my sword with the thingie that gives it 10% more damage. I think I've been killed at least 10 times.

Another question. Blizzard. I tried it the first time around and hated it. It made Geralt move at the speed of a slug and it did the same thing this time. Is this normal for Blizzard?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/25/07 07:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr

Another question. Blizzard. I tried it the first time around and hated it. It made Geralt move at the speed of a slug and it did the same thing this time. Is this normal for Blizzard?

That's what Blizzard is supposed to do. It takes some getting used to but it does help if you can be patient enough. Everything is in slow motion but that makes you able to dodge blows much better.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/25/07 02:59 PM

Well I'm in Mad's swamp (grumble, snarl) Me and Gramps were on a nice walk to the shrine or wherever he wanted to go - killing a drowner or two - feeling pretty smug (translation : no saving) then wham - turned a corner - 5 drowners and that blasted plant thingie. I was not a happy witcher.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/25/07 03:20 PM

lol How are you liking the game otherwise, Syd?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/25/07 03:31 PM

Well, maybe I'll give Blizzard a try again then. I just want to get past The Beast!

Oh, Syd, I have SO been there and done that! And have you found out what a wonderful old guy Gramps really is yet? Creepy!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/25/07 04:13 PM

Plant thingie 6 - syd the witcher zip hardwall Do those things regenerate each time they go back underground?

nickie I haven't had this much fun with a game since Gothic 1 and 2 (I'd love to say Gothic 3 also but with all the crashes etc. it's no fun).

Drac I haven't come across Gramps' particular peculiarities yet other than he stands there and yells something I can't understand everytime I'm about to get clobbered (which is helpful - sorta)lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/25/07 04:24 PM

Yup, they always come back unless you kill the darned things. Make sure you have potioned up with a Swallow and try enhancing your sword with something if you have it.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/25/07 04:29 PM

I swallowed swallow smile and I'll look see if I have anything left in inventory that will spruce up my sword. I left a lot of stuff at the Inn (hopefully not something I need).

Well back to the fray - bah humbug lol

Hope you're having a Merry Christmas Drac -

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/25/07 06:04 PM

We're having a lovely quiet morning, but are heading out this afternoon for Christmas with the grandkids and another Christmas party.

I think there are whetstones or grindstones that will cause 10 or 20% more damage. I guess I'll go back in and try to kill The Beast yet another time! Good luck in the swamp. Hopefully, I'll be joining you there soon!
Posted By: TLC

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 12:13 AM

I got this game today. happydance I set it to play on easy. How easy is the easy setting? :eeksnoman: :santa:

:christmas:

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 03:10 AM

I played the first time on Easy. I didn't think it was that easy until I started playing the second time on medium!

Make sure you download the new patch and see how it goes. It's making a huge difference in load times for most of us and causing some issues for others.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 03:24 AM

TLC easy is not so easy (that's what I'm playing) and yes do get the patch - it does make a big difference.

Finally got that dratted plant thingie - or at least one of them. What is doing it for me is I have Incenerate and after a couple of hits with that and a few fancy sword thrusts that plant is toast laugh

However I now have 7 drowners, one ticked off stone golem and those plant thingies all after me at once - not a pretty sight let me tell you.
Posted By: TLC

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 03:54 AM

Thanks, Draclvr & Syd. I got the patch installed but probably won't get back to the game until sometime tomorrow. kissy :santa:

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 04:05 AM

He, he, he, Syd, Welcome to the world of The Witcher!!

TLC, hope to seen you soon in the game!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 12:15 PM

I'm doing a little experiment kind of thing and I need help! I decided that I want to play with the original patch and not the new one, but I can't find it anywhere! If anyone has it, could you send it to me pleeeeaase?

wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: looney
I'm doing a little experiment kind of thing and I need help! I decided that I want to play with the original patch and not the new one, but I can't find it anywhere! If anyone has it, could you send it to me pleeeeaase?

wave

Looney, send me your email via a PM and I'll send it over.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 04:34 PM

Thanks Trail! happydance
Posted By: threads

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 04:40 PM

TLC- a word of encouragement. Due to real life using up my playing time I'm still messing around the beginning of Chapter One. It didn't mean a lot of re-playing for me to start a new game with the new patch - so I thought. (I should give up thinking).

Started in Easy Mode as I always do and, by gosh did I get a surprise yesterday. There are twice as many baddies around now, both human and four legged Perhaps a slight exaggeration but not much. It may be they are taking longer to dispatch.

Can anyone tell me if it is totally necessary to play dice or fisticuffs - not my type of thing. Would rather give it a miss.

kissy

Now predicting 2012 as my date to finish this game

happydance

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 04:50 PM

Hi threads! smile

No, it's not necessary to play dice or to fistfight. They are just a couple of the "side quests" to help you get easy money and experience points. The necessary quests are the ones on your list with the stars beside them.

I love playing the dice! I didn't much care for the fistfighting tho, I didn't seem to get the hang of it. But when I did try, it was funny to see Geralts little jigs after he won! grin

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 04:51 PM

Alice, I hated the fist-fighting and only tried it a couple of times. However, I loved the dice poker and earned a ton of money playing. If you're unsure of it, just save before you start playing in case you lose too much! Other than the money, it's not necessary to play dice either. I ended up with about $14,000 orens and nothing to spend it on! The only thing I saved up for was the good armor which was $5,000 orens.

I can't say I noticed that many more baddies with the new patch, but I am playing in the medium skill mode this time and there were definitely more of the green glowing dog thingies this time.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 05:50 PM

I can't progress in the dice and fistfight quests. I am always told to find someone more challenging but I can't find any other gamblers or fighters to make the difference. The better players tell me to come back when I have more experience but I can't find the right people to give me that experience.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 05:52 PM

Which chapter are you in, Rowan?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: looney
Thanks Trail! happydance

Hey Looney,

I sent it over, but there is a chance you might have issues getting it. It's a big file (113MB). If you don't get my email in the next hour here is where I downloaded it from originally:

Witcher Update 1.1a

(the download is probably faster than waiting for the monster email file...sorry, should have thought of that before... smile )

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 08:29 PM

I was going to use Tubes to send it before you answered, Trail. There are several free ways to send large files. My step-daughter works for the USDA and they use YouSendIt.

I've been using Tubes and just love it. Looney's ISP probably won't let a file of that size through. I think my server has a limit of 20 MB.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 08:36 PM

Draclvr, I'm in ch. 3 and I think the end battle for this chapter is looming on the horizon.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I was going to use Tubes to send it before you answered, Trail. There are several free ways to send large files. My step-daughter works for the USDA and they use YouSendIt.

I've been using Tubes and just love it. Looney's ISP probably won't let a file of that size through. I think my server has a limit of 20 MB.

Yea, I'm still a little tired from the holidays smile I send 2GB files all the time at work, so didn't even think about it until later DOH! lol Better off doing to the download.... wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 08:49 PM

I think you have to beat 4 lesser players times before you can move up to the professionals. In Chapter 3, I played with a gambler and a dwarf in the Hairy Bear, Carmen the prostitute and with the Gardener if I remember correctly. You should be able to go back there and play with them if you need to.

Oooo.... the Kikimore Queen! Good luck!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 08:56 PM

Okay, I'm happily running thru the swamp now! I dl'd from the link, thanks!

Rowan, did you play against Zoltan, Carmen, the Gardner, and the gambler at the Hairy Bear? Vaska in the swamp?
Then you'd go to Munro Bruys, Thaler, and I forget who after that! redface
And don't forget you can always play with these guys even after you beat them! If they run out of money, just go outside and then come back in, they'll be ready for you again! smile

Oh...the kikimore queen...I loved that one! whistle rotfl

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/26/07 09:08 PM

I thought about you, looney when Rowan posted she was close to the end of Chapter 3. The Kikimore Queen... your favorite gal!

Trail, I know the feeling well. I'm pretty much dragging some serious tail myself today. Pretty much just playing The Witcher... you know, something nice and relaxing!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/27/07 01:29 AM

My turn to cry about the kikimores at the end of ch 3. sad Do you have to use ard on all of the supports? I seem to lose time by running under the supports, turning around to use ard, the facing the hordes of other kikimores. I can't get past the second set of supports. Does anyone have any strategies? I'm dying over and over and over. hardwall

I did it ...
Click to reveal..
with the assistance of bombs to clear a path through the congested areas

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/27/07 03:19 AM

Bombs??? OK, I may have to rethink my rejection of the bomb making this time around! Yay, you made it! I managed the first time with Aard, but it took a few times...

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/27/07 04:27 PM

Draclvr, you will still need Aard to collapse the main supports on the queen. I'm playing medium difficulty and the crowds of kikimores are so thick at the bootleneck that there was no way past them except for the strategy I mentioned. That lessened the congestion of regular kikimores so I could get through to the main supports so I could Aard them on the queen who was on my tail.

Now I'm in ch. 4 enjoying new scenery and exploring the new territory. Hope to find a trader soon as my inventory is full.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/27/07 04:32 PM

There were a boatload of them at that bottleneck, weren't there!! Have fun in Chapter 4!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 12:16 PM

Having read all your remarks since I last looked in (think on Christmas Day) I've changed my possible finishing date from 2012 to 3012 rotfl Ok - only joking but the game appears jinxed as far as I'm concerned.

An example - last evening I wrote a similar post and was about to 'submit' when the batteries in my cordless mouse gave out. Changed the batteries and by the time I'd completed that chore the post I'd written had vanished.

I gave up and got ready for bed - I can take a hint when it is thrust right under my nose. rolleyes

Hope to load the game in a short while - keep your fingers crossed.

Have a very joyful and Happy New Year.

God Bless you for your patience.

HELP - yes I'm back. Thought I'd updated to the 1.2 patch. But, after playing for a while think I haven't.

Oh gosh - can someone give me a link to find the patch, please.

Well I did warn you I'm hopeless about this type of thing. Now I haven't a clue except I downoaded it to my desktop and placed it in the game folder to open. Now I can't find my way to the folder for 'saved games'.

Am praying hard for someone to talk me through it click by click.

The only excuse I have is that I'm using a magnifying glass to read the scree.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 02:59 PM

Alice, I'm not sure about the folder but you can check whether you installed the patch by clicking the "update' button from the launch screen. That will tell you if you still need the patch. If you do need it be sure to click "run" instead of "save".

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 03:13 PM

Oh, dear Rowan, I'm at my wits end. At last, after a year of messing around being assured it was the PD's fault, I've been able to get an eye test and new specs are being made but wont get them for another two or three weeks.

I'll give your advice a try - hope I don't click the wrong key.

Wish me luck.

Rowan - I've done that and am taken to my browser which is Opera. Thoought all is not lost I'll ask for an engine to find it - and the engine folder has disappeared.

At the moment am getting so confused I can't think straight.

I'll go and make a cuppa.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 03:56 PM

Threads, the patch can be downloaded here . If you have any problems with it, it might be best for you to post in the glitches forum (they're really great about knowing all the tricks and tips for the technical stuff).

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 03:58 PM

Alice, here is the link to download the patch. Be sure you do NOT install it within the game folder. Save it to your desktop; then open the folder, click on Extract All Files and then double click on the .exe file that has been extracted. Let it install the patch and you're done. I created a special folder under my C drive called Game Patches and I keep all my patches there because I can never remember how to find things!

The Witcher 1.2 Patch

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 04:30 PM

What it is to hae such good friends.

I can breathe again. Managed it the way Rowan suggested. Took several attempts - every time I clicked as she suggested I think my hand was so tired it allowed the mouse to slip a little. I went and made a cuppa, updated my PD meds lol and returned refreshed.

This time everything went as Rowan advised. So relieved I had to brush my tears away.

Thanks Nickie for your link and Thanks Drac for your help. I normally always download to my desktop first but never thought of making a folder for all the patches scattered around My Documents.

Now I'm off to feed my 'inner man' - when I become involved in something like this am apt to forget food.

Am sure you will all agree - the game had to have first priority today.

God Bless you all.

happydance

Alice

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 04:47 PM

So glad you were able to make it work this time! Hope you have great fun with this game.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 04:51 PM

I agree, Alice - first priority! I'm still off from work, so I'm hoping to get a couple more hours in this afternoon. I"m so glad it worked this time. It should make your gameplay much better.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 08:28 PM

Hi all,

Has anyone noticed the ironic (or tongue in cheek) name of the Detective? I thought it was rather clever. Also at the end of chapter 4 don't forget to talk to the Fisher King, you'll get a surprise.

I like the way in this game that each choice changes the game in some way as early as Act I.

I also think that the animation is more real in this game than any I have played. I'm really impressed with the detail they put into the game.

All in all, I'm really enjoying this game.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 09:08 PM

That's high praise coming from you Oldman! I really am going to install this shortly. bravo

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/28/07 09:32 PM

I've been wondering when you were going to dive, nickie. I can't wait to hear what you think.

Oldman, Looney first noticed the play on names with the detective. We think there are more of them in the game too. I talked to the Fisher King at the end of Chapter 4 and don't remember a surprise. Well, I will be there again soon enough!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/29/07 12:55 AM

Have it installed, just call me speedy - not! I'm going to try and play without the patch, because it will take 6 hours to download...Did one camera view make a big difference over another to you? Just wondered if the close isometric or over the shoulder would make lurking baddies harder to see.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/29/07 01:12 AM

Well hiya speedy! wink

I'm sure camera angle is all in the eye of the beholder...pun intended! grin I liked the furthest one away, meaning I could see more around me. If you set your medalion to alert you when bad guys are around, you should be okay with the close up ones too tho...
So, you're gonna try it without the patch?? I played a little without one at all the other day, when I was waiting for the 1.1a patch. It wasn't bad, but I was waiting for a crash or something! crazy

Can't wait to hear about you falling in love nickie! smile

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/29/07 01:34 AM

Another play on woords is the dentist's name in ch. 3. His name, Zahin Schmartz, is very similar to Zahnschmerz (German for tootheache).

How do you kill those wraiths for the hermit in ch 4? I'm over level 30, have good armor, the sword from the Lady in the Lake, but I still can't kill them. What are they blowing at me? I can beat 6 of them with difficulty, but by then my vitality is so low it's hopeless.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/29/07 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Rowan

How do you kill those wraiths for the hermit in ch 4? I'm over level 30, have good armor, the sword from the Lady in the Lake, but I still can't kill them. What are they blowing at me? I can beat 6 of them with difficulty, but by then my vitality is so low it's hopeless.

Row I used swallow and tawny owl and when my stats would get low I would just run away until they built back up again and then return to fight. With those two potions the vitality builds pretty fast. Also I used Ard a lot that backs them off so you can whack at them.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/29/07 04:47 PM

I did exactly what oldman did, but I also enhanced my blade with Spector Oil. Running away is an excellent strategy while your vitality builds back up!

A tip for when you get to some really tough armored things that come out of the ground (don't remember what they are called) that are in this chapter is to hammer them with Igni. Of course, potion up with Tawny Owl, but a few hits with Igni will incinerate them quite nicely.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/29/07 06:15 PM

Hi everyone. Today, the first time since installing the game, I've managed to get into the crypt in chapter one. And wiped it clean.

Laugh - only had one Cat Potion so wasn't really surprised when the lights went out in the middle of fighting Ozzrel, although it was rather a strange experience. It was fortunate there was a torch in one of the trunks or I would still be groping my way out of the crypt. For most of that fight I just could not see my opponent until my sword became a flaming sword. Didn't realise I'd dispatched the ghoul until I tripped over it.

My biggest headache is choosing what to dump out of my inventory to make room for something more important. Abigal sells but doesn't buy and haven't seen much of any other trader. Can't keep running all the way back to the Inn. Can you imagine telling a bandit to stay right where he is while I run six miles to the Inn to put my loot in the safe?

Anyway, the w/t I'm following isn't exactly true. At one point was told that when I usd Aard to punch through a wall I'd be met by two weak ghouls. In fact I was met by four - one of whom was equally as tough as Ozzrel.

Now I must pull the plug and do a few chores before bedtime.

See you.

:newyear:

Alice

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/29/07 07:22 PM

Hi everyone!

I've been utterly consumed with this game since installing the patch (running perfect!). The last three days of playing have had me up till 3, 4, and 5 in the morning...can't drag myself away. I've turned into a fruit cake with very little good sense left which is why I'm so rummy this morning lol. I'm now just starting chapter 3!

Drac, you just reminded me of a question when you mentioned Specter Oil. The last time I played (before quiting until the patch came out) I had the recipe and was making it. This time I don't have it in my Alchemy Panel and don't know why. I think Abigail (the Witch) in chapter 1 was suppose to give it to me, but some how I missed it. Is there anyone else in this game that sells the recipe?? I know what the ingredients are, but don't know if using the 'experiment' option that the game tells you about trying would work with an already 'known' in game potion (I just now thought about that).

This next part isn't a problem, but a would be mystery question about Geralt's past (I'm playing detective grin ) for those that have finished the game. It could be a spoiler, so I'll treat it as such.

Click to reveal..
In chapter 2 when Geralt had the party with Shani and got verrrry drunk, I talked to another guy at the party named Dandelion. What he had to say suddenly made me think that I might know the real secret to what happened to Geralt and why he can't remember his past...[spoiler]Is Geralt actually a Vampire??
[/spoiler]

If I'm right then maybe I'm smarter then I thought (but not likely) rotfl.

Marilyn grin

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/29/07 08:26 PM

I know the feeling, Milee! If I could have gotten that many hours in the first time around, I would have done the same thing. I remember the conversation with Dandelion, but don't remember anything that would have suggested your theory. I will really have to pay attention to that conversation this time!

I don't remember when I got the Spector Oil recipe, but it could have been from a scroll. Try an Antiquarian to see if they have it. I'm buying all the books and scrolls I can this time. I missed a few quests last time because I didn't have an entry in my Bestiary.

Congrats on wiping that crypt clean, Alice! I got caught in there when my Cat ran out once too. I didn't have a torch either, so had to rely on the little map in the upper right of the screen which shows you moving through the corridors of the crypt. Creepy! I fought a bunch of alghouls with no light once too!

Abigale will buy stuff, but only certain things that have to do with her being a witch. I can't remember for sure who else buys stuff, but it seems to me there are a couple of other people. I'm trying to keep my inventory cleaner this time around, but not having much luck.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 02:06 AM

Been playing since 5 am this morning - still in Chapter 2. I just did the autopsy on the prisoner and not sure what I'm supposed to do next. I still need one of the sephirots - the map keeps glowing on 'ole detective Raymond's house so I'm assuming he has it - just not sure what I have to do to get it from him. I have no idea if I'm asking the right questions or not - guess time will tell.

Alice I did most of my fighting in the crypt in the dark - never knew about the Cat potion until Chapter 2 lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 09:00 AM

5 am! Holy cow, syd! You are truly dedicated! Or hooked, as the case may be. Count me in with the second category.... note the posting time - 3:00 am! I just dragged myself out of the game and must get some sleep now...

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 02:32 PM

Syd, how on earth did you manage the crypt playig all of it in the dark? Hope you found the torch in the trunk.

Drac - it is 2.30pm here and still haven't found time to load the game. Now you might understand why I lag so far behind everyone. It takes me an hour to do a chore others might complete in 5 minutes.

Not that I am complaining - I'm so blessed in having so many friends here at GameBomers. Am really looking forward to getting my new specs soon. At the moment I have the screen enlarged 120%.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 02:53 PM

And we are blessed with having you Threads. Hope you enjoy it when you are able.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 04:07 PM

Thanks oldman for the suggestion of luring the wraiths away from the circle one by one. I knew I should have asked here before consulting that walkthrough which says to stay within the circle. Staying within the circle condemns you to fighting 3 wraiths at a time.

I chose to help the Scoiatel but if I ever replay the game I will try to play neutral. I made some mistakes in earlier choices and look forward to correcting those decisions in later games.

I've now made it to ch. 5. Each chapter is like starting a new game except that you're stronger and richer. The hardest thing about each new chapter is finding that first trader so you can unload the loot.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 04:13 PM

What nickie said Threads - you are a joy to be around and my day brightens considerably every time I see one of your posts. As far as you being so far behind - not to worry - my husband and I are leaving on the 3rd for a Caribbean cruise (our first) and won't be back until the 13th - I'm sure by the time I get back you'll be way ahead of me laugh

As to fighting in the dark - I used the torch as a weapon - it worked rather well if I do say so myself. Also used it when I fought in the sewers and couldn't see.

I made it into Chapter 3. Killed Ramsmeat - he and his cohorts were tough - had to reload about 7 times before I managed to get them all. Felt kind of bad about it - he was a sleeze ball but he kind of grew on me.

Drac I think you have me beat by a long shot - 3 am???? lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 06:23 PM

Wow, just started the game! Looney, you're so right - Geralt is easy to fall in love - or lust grin - with. I'm trying to get the hang of everything right now, and there's something I seem to be mucking up already. I just got the aard spell, or whatever that is. I'm throwing them at the mage when the game allows me to, and it knocks him down, but then he gets back up. I keep doing this. What am I not doing right to get the game to progress?
Posted By: Mad

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 06:27 PM

Hi smile

Well, I am hoping to get a play tonight and manage a bit of "catch-up" bravo

After being away over Christmas I am lagging even further behind all you Die Hards lol

Cheers and a :newyear: to you all thumbsup

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 07:16 PM

Nickie, can I assume you are in the first part of the game yet where you are in Kehr Moren? Your Aard isn't much use here except to knock down a wall or something - I can't remember. Arm yourself with that steel witcher's sword and try to get the hang of switching between the 3 styles of fighting. For some opponents you will use the fast style and some you will need the group or strong style. The group style is very effective when you are fighting more than 1 opponent.

Have you chosen which part you will do - help Triss in the lab or help kill the Frightener?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 09:03 PM

Drac, sorry I'm so late getting back. All those hours and days playing the game has left me with a pile-up of things undone in real life. I don't dare load the game until other things are taken care of or I'll be right back where I started! Drat...housework, food, and ironing are soooo boring mad .

I've bought every book and scroll in the game that I could find and no Specter Oil recipe anywhere. Maybe it'll pop-up in chapter 3 somewhere. I'll keep looking when I next load the game.

Yes, exhaust conversations with both Dandelion and Shani at the party. Sober up between conversations or you might not get it all. Afterward, bed Shani and she'll give you more info. If you remember, please let me know what you think about my theory.

Nickie - Your going to love this game! Are you still playing without the patch? I found I had a lot more game time after the patch...and a lot less sleep lol.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 10:47 PM

I had to drag myself out of it this afternoon to take down the Christmas tree. Poor kitty now no longer has her favorite thing to play in!

I just did the converstion and I have to say it is an intrigueing possibility.
Click to reveal..
If it's possible that the higher vampires don't need to drink blood, might it not also follow that they could be out and about during the day? Hmmm...
Perhaps our questions will all be answered in the sequel because they sure did leave the ending wide open for one!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 11:07 PM

Yeah, at this point I'm playing patchless, but I'm in the very beginning. My server won't stay on the time it takes to download the patch. I guess if it becomes a problem I'll try and download through filefront instead of through the game.

Drac, I'm supposed to knock down a magical wall in the very first part that acts as a tutorial, so I can get in the lab. But where do I focus the spell? It doesn't seem to do anything unless I point it at a mage behind the wall (and he just keeps getting back up). It must be something simple I'm not doing, since it doesn't seem to be ringing any bells. grin

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/30/07 11:28 PM

OK. I started another game in the difficult mode. When you and Leo first go down to the lab, you gain the Aard and what you are supposed to break down is the pile of rocks to the right blocking the entrance out. Go back upstairs and talk to the rest. Then you will have to decide whether to help Triss or help slay the Frightener. If you help Triss, you will have a battle with the mage, Savola. I noticed that when you are in the circle with him (kill all the guards first), you can't strike him until you knock him down with Aard first. If I tried to whack at him without it, he seemed to have some kind of force field around him and I couldn't hit him.. So I knocked him down with Aard and then ran up and whacked away. It took a long time, but I finally got him.

Does this help?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 12:35 AM

It sure does Drac, thanks so much! I was aarding away at that magical film that was crossing the doorway. Guess my hair would have become as white as Geralt's at the rate I was going before anything happened. Going to go look for the rocks now. Thanks again!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 12:36 AM

Nickie - If you can get the patch it might not be a bad idea. I found it so discouraging as things progressed to have to start all over again. Then again you might get lucky and not have the same issues so many others did. Good luck either way.

Drac -
Click to reveal..
Yes and it was stated that the higher vampires could be about during the day. That and the fact that everyone swears Geralt was killed. I think his vampire friend saved his life (so to speak).

Oh how hope there's a sequel happydance !!!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 02:21 AM

Nickie, could I burn both the patches to a CD and send to you via snail mail? If you are having any issues with long loading times between scenes such as going in and out of houses in the Outskirts of Vizima, the 1.2 patch is invaluable. My issues were minute compared to some people, but it still helped my enjoyment of this game exponentially.

If you would like me to do this, PM me your snail mail address and I'll have it in the mail ASAP.

See, Milee, since you raised this question, I'm REALLY leaning that way! It totally flew past my brain at the time. Just THINK of the sequel with this scenario! Think I'll posit the question on the Witcher forum!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 07:17 AM

Would you do that Drac? That's so very kind of you! It would be nice to have before I get into it.

Oh, and I don't know if this has to do with it, but
Click to reveal..
Geralt did get into a coffin in the opening scene

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 12:56 PM

Hi all :HNY:

Can anyone remember the blue lights which appear - found 4 in and around the crypt in chapter one. They give a choice of performing one of three rituals or 'do nothing'. (think the are called power point).

When I found the fourth I clicked on the first ritual a second time. Was that right or wrong - anyway, how do these rituals affect the player?

Ummmm - in the introducion cut scene after installing and seeing Geralt in a hefty stone coffin I did wonder idea

scared even if he does enjoy blueberries.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 03:17 PM

threads I read in the manual that the powerpoints will take the toxins away but when I click on it I only get the option to perform magic or do nothing so I must have missed one or two of them. The one that takes away the toxins is the Purfication Ritual.

I never got the option to party dardy with Shani - guess I didn't talk to her enough. Will that mess up my game? I definitely see me playing this one over again.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 04:28 PM

You're right Milee, the game crashed on me in chapter one. First it went into a slow mode where I could hardly do anything, and then when I went back to a save, it crashed and I had to reboot completely. But what a game! I'm really looking forward to getting back to it. Easy to like that fella!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 05:12 PM

Nickie, I just burned both patches for you. I got an error saying the 1.1 patch didn't verify, but it seems to work. I went ahead and installed the 1.2 patch from the CD on top of itself in my game and it worked, so hopefully it will work for you. I'd go ahead and install the 1.2 patch and see how it goes. I know it worked wonders for Milee!

I also had to add the picture from The Witcher Christmas card they sent me. I set it as my wallpaper and Looney and I have our theories as to who all the characters are!

Probably won't get to town today, but will get it in the mail on Wednesday.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 05:26 PM

Thanks so much fellow Witcher! I can't wait to start playing again (well, of course I have to, but you know what I mean grin ) Geralt is mine,mine,mine! rotfl
Posted By: lindy236

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 07:44 PM

Hi everyone,

I brought this game, but I haven't installed it yet. Right now I'm playing Gothic 1 and I have a stained glass project that I must work on. So Geralt will have to wait for me.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 09:39 PM

Nickie - So nice of Drac to be sending you the patch. I'm sure you don't need both patch versions. Starting from a scratch game you only need to install v1.2 (like I did). It will make a huge difference like it did with me and I don't have a video card that is recommended beyond the medium specks to play the game. I also didn't have to turn anything down, but did turn grass levels to low just in case along with shadows. I do that anyway in games if the option is there because I don't like either effect...messes with my eyes to much and I see things better if I can turn these two effects off (or down).

Yes, Geralt is easy to fall in love with....my kind of man and I love the white hair and scars (I've never liked the 'pretty' boys). With the new mystery take we've come up with about his past, listening to his old friends takes on a new meaning.

Syd - The party with Shani was just a side quest and won't mess anything up if it's missed. The quest doesn't come up until after you've done the Autopsy quest with her. Then the next time you talk with Shani she'll invite you to a party (you have to get the booze for her).

Alice - My brain just went dead on me, but I know you can only use the places of power twice a day. the rest of it I'll have to look up unless someone else here remembers think.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 10:31 PM

Milee is right, Nickie. You shouldn't need the 1.1 patch, but I sent it just in case. Two people so far have had to revert back to the 1.1 patch. Trail did and I know Looney did too. Looney, did you leave yours on the first patch?

The party with Shani, Geralt, Dandelion and Carmen was a bit of a hoot. Poor Granny!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 10:46 PM

Hideeho Witchers! I've been distracted with real life...still looking for a potion to fix that! lol

Yep, I'm still using the 1.1a patch, I like it just fine. The game didn't run any better with the 1.2 patch and really, it seemed to cause a couple of odd little things. Like Geralt would run when I didn't want him to, and I had to do a little clicking to get him to stop! wink So I'm fine with the patch I have! Which will you do Nickie?
Man, I hate for you that you won't be playing for a few days now! sad

Syd, the first time I played, I didn't even go to Shani's party! I have to admit, I skipped it mostly cuz I had no idea who to invite! lol And now I'm afraid to, with all this talk about Geralts past! I don't want it to be true. wink So now I have to go to the party just to hear the conversations.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 10:56 PM

lol Looney, if you find that potion please pass it around! And you're right - sniff - darn it, now I'm going to miss the Wolf for several days and just have to watch you play vicariously. cry But this way, maybe my house will get cleaned after all! bravo

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 11:26 PM

Looney - I need the same potion!

It's great that patch version 1.1 worked for you and wish it had for me, but that wasn't the case.

Invite Carmen to the party at Shani's. You have to pay her to go, but I got by with 100 gold because I helped her out with another quest. She makes the party interesting lol (Shani's jealous).

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 12/31/07 11:56 PM

Same here with that potion - I'd be willing to part with some of my extra strong alcohol if you need it laugh

Did you guys spend 500 orens to ahem - spend some time with 'ole miss blue eyes? Orens are so dang hard to come by that I hate to waste them if there's no pay off so to speak lol

Also - Thayler got killed - I have no idea why - was there something I needed to do to keep him alive? Am I doomed? Do I need to drink more margaritas????

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 12:09 AM

Oh, PLEASE! Send some of the potion my way too! There just isn't enough time to work, play games, garden and get the rest of those pesky household chores done. 18 months until I eliminate one of them - retirement!

Yup, that's why I'm sending both patches. 1.2 did marvelous wonders for my game, but I knew a couple of you needed to revert back to 1.1.

I spent the 500 orens to cavort with Miss Blue Eyes too. I'll be interested to see which way you choose to end that quest!

My Thaler didn't get killed, so I'm not sure about that one.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 12:42 AM

Syd, I think the potion may just be the strong alcohol!
rotfl

The blue eyes quest, I saved my game just before each decision so I could go back and see the differences. So I've seen several different scenarios. This time, I just have to decided on a different one that I chose last time! I'd really love to hear everyones thoughts on this quest!

Thaler getting killed...you saw the argument between him and Count DeWitt? Your decision made the difference. Tricky huh?

Oh Nickie, you're calling him Wolf already? Hmmm you're hooked alright! wink Don't worry, Geralt will be waiting for you when you get back! Notice I didn't say waiting faithfully? whistle

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 12:43 AM

Are you talking about Carmen? If so....yes, I think it payed off because of the party. I thought she was cheaper then 500 orens, but honestly don't remember except that I did a quest for her FIRST and maybe I remember her giving me a 'discount'.

Thaler didn't get killed on me either, but maybe it has to do with whether or not you accused him or someone else on the suspect list of being guilty during your investigation. I decided to believe everyone and it turned out rather well. Other then that I really don't know.

Looney - You answered before I finished posting. I missed something somewhere. Who's Count DeWitt????

P.S. Sorry for the stupid answer I gave above oops. You guys were talking about chapter 3 and I was speaking about chapter 2. Now I know what's going on lol.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 01:01 AM

Just an FYI for those looking for the earlier patches. There is a difference between 1.1 and 1.1a; 1.1a being the more recent of the two and the one that both Looney and I are using (I think crazy).

Also, your theories about Geralt make sense. I had thought that about him as well because...

Click to reveal..
...as he advances levels a couple of his higher powers only work at night. That and all the other clues that folks mentioned earlier spelled it out for me; 2+2=Undead lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 03:29 AM

It appears that many of us are trying to spend New Year's Eve with the witcher. :HNY:

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 03:55 AM

Gees, I didn't even think about his powers Trail! Seems pretty plain to me to lol.

Happy New Year to everyone and of course our favorite Witcher!

:newyear: :santa:

Marilyn

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 04:22 AM

Hi smile

"Do I need to drink more margaritas???? "

Syd !!!! I am SO shocked !!!!

Why should anyone ever need a reason to drink more margaritas ????

Cheers.

Mad lol lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 05:10 AM

In answer to your question Mad....There's NEVER enough margaritas and if a reason is needed I guess "because I'm still breathing" is good enough. Cheers and Happy New Year!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 07:33 AM

Happy New Year to all of you! And...Milee reminded me, I just didn't think about the anti-aliasing, and lowered that. So, for now the game is running well. But it will still be great to have the patches, and probably any minute I'll crash. But for now, bliss.

Oh, and Looney - there's just hussies everywhere throwing themselves at poor Wolf - what's a witcher to do! grin

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 02:55 PM

Happy New Year fellow witchers.

As to Thaler and DeWitt I don't remember seeing them argue at all. After I left the party I think I went back to the inn and started the hunt for blue eyes quest. I was coming back to the inn from my first meeting with said blue eyes and there were a bunch of soldiers attacking him. I think I mumbled something about not getting involved because it was political and just stood there and watched them kill him. That was all out of my control - I sort of went on auto pilot. Must have been something I said or did at the party that triggered it - beats me but in any case I got a book and something else off his body. Guess we'll see if it changes the story for me in any way.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 03:45 PM

Happy New Year to all Witchers.

I'm not so happy cry Something has gone wrong in my game (Well, I've done something wrong in the game)

Alvin is now staying with the Reverend. Woke his nibs up to ask what was happening. He said collect the villagers together and then they will attack Abigail. Was given his ring to show the people to make them fight but I'd already given the beggar a bottle of White Gull to obtain it - the only way I could get the key to the crypt.

So how do I get back on Abigail's side?

Milee, what do you mean that I can use the power point rituals once or twice a day? Use them for what?

Oh boy, am I dumb.

rolleyes

Am also hungry - be back next year rotfl

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 04:14 PM

You're not dumb in the least sweetie. There's just a heck of a lot to learn about this game, and I mean that in a good way. As far as the power ups - you have to select the ability for each Sign at each level. Just like the flaming sword for your fighting with the sword, the power ups make the strike with the Sign more powerful. You right click and hold on an opponent,releasing when it is powered up (mid way on the power line).
As for your other question, not sure since my game is playing out very differently, but perhaps just talking to her would work. As the story plays out, she'll be in a different location than her hut.

As for me, got to where he fights the beast and it went into slow motion and crashed, arggh. lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 04:56 PM

Alice, I'm on my second play in the game and I still haven't figured out those blue Places of Power! I just go stand in them and select the perform the ritual of magic, but nothing ever happens. This time around Kalkstein did give me something that lets me transport back to his labratory if I stand in one. It's helped me get out of the sewers a couple of times!

And you will have plenty of time later to pick whose side you are on with Abigale. This time I picked Abigale's side.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 05:49 PM

Hi smile

When I go and click on those Places of Power, I am only offered "perform a ritual of magic" but if do use that, I get heightened power added to one of my signs .... the Aard one, I think grin

Cheers.

Mad. Who is enjoying (still only first play of the game) questing in Chapter Four right now happydance

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 05:53 PM

Thanks to all for your help.

Nickie - should the ritual sign be on my belt like the Aard sign?

Wish real life would not interfere - must get a few of MY chores done before my personal earthly Angel arrives for work tomorrow.

Be back - that is a certainty.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 08:18 PM

Alice my dear, your not dumb in the least! There's so much to learn in this game it's just mind boggling. Even with the WT I can't keep anything straight!

As to the blue light 'Places of Power' there are two other choices that you may see when clicking on the light, but they are dependent on skill selection listed in the Intelligence panel. I don't think you'll see the selection until you've acquired the skills for these two:

1. Knowledge of the Cleansing Ritual - Allows Geralt
to perform this ritual to free his body of all toxins,
poisons, and damaging agents.

2. Knowledge of the Life Ritual - This temporarily
accelerates the regeneration of Vitality

As Mad stated, the 'Ritual of Magic' selection will intensify or prolong (don't remember which) which ever sign you currently have active (selected...when you've learned more then one). Also as already stated you'll have the 'Teleportation' selection after you've acquired the teleport stone from Kalkstein.

I haven't seen the possibility of other choices maybe popping-up later in the game if there are anymore. Yes, you can only use these places of power twice a day, but I'm not sure if there's a limit on teleporting.

Hope this helps some love catrub.

Marilyn

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 08:37 PM

Happy New Year! wave

Okay, the fight you saw Syd, was the one I was talking about. I'm not sure if I knew it was Count DeWitt then or not, but I figured it out later. When you chose not to get involved, that left the Count to do what he wanted to.

The Places of Power. There are 3 different rituals that can be performed there:
1) The Ritual of Magic - this boosts your sign power for a certain amount of time. I can't remember by how much or for how long...oops! blush
2) The Ritual of Cleansing - this rids Geralt of the toxin from the potions and etc.. The same as when he sleeps, but no sleeping needed!
3) The Ritual of Life - I have no idea, I haven't tried it yet!
* I think for a short time, you can use them to transport to Kalksiens labratory.

These other rituals are part of your leveling up choices, you have to choose to have the knowledge of them.
To start out you can only draw from th eplace of power once a day, meaning that you can perform only one ritual, once a day. You also get the leveling up option to draw twice a day. This is a handy thing!

Threads, the ritual signs that you learn will show up automatically along the left side of you screen, as you learn them, towards the bottom. They look like swirls or triangles, etc. Then you click on the one you want to use, it will light up. That's the one he will use.

I'm going to be trying reeeaaallly hard to find something that dispells all this gossip about Geralt's past...it just can't be so! No matter how many good points you all make! shame

edit: Hi Milee! We followed each other again! Thanks for the info about the life ritual! I had no idea! thumbsup

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 09:45 PM

Hi Looney! It's okay to repeat....what one might miss another may expand on or be better understood lol.

I forgot that you start out with only one use a day. Things almost always bare repeating thumbsup.

idea Earlier I was asking where to find a recipe for 'Specter Oil' because I couldn't find it. I decided to 'experiment' because I already knew what ingredients it took. Worked perfect! As soon as I made the potion a new recipe for 'Specter Oil' was added to my existing formula list yay. This is real handy to know when a certain potion is needed and you don't have the recipe for it.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 11:26 PM

I have a question. I did the sewers in Chapter 2,met Siegfried, killed the monster and came out topside. Where do I go to get my things back that the jailers took? I don't see an icon at the guard's outpost or dungeon to go in that way - do I have to go back down into the sewers? If so, where?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/01/08 11:41 PM

Your stuff will be in the dungeon. Go down there and talk to Jethro the jailer. I think you will have to do something for him before he will give you your stuff.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/02/08 12:11 AM

Thanks Drac!

Edit: Heh, I went around the sewers about six times trying to find that door to get back up to where they put me in the sewers. Visited the friendly folks from the spidey cult and everything. grin Lots of good loot down there! But all good things must come to an end, and me and the ton of squishy brains made it to the right door finally.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/02/08 06:36 PM

It's awful quiet around here, everyone must be out witchering! grin

I have to share the funniest thing with you all...see, I made a little mistake with my inventory. You know how you have to hold the control key and the left click to seperate a stack of something? Well, I forgot to hold down that control key and I left clicked on my stack of fisstech and he drank it.
You just gotta go try it, his reaction is priceless!! rotfl

Nickie, I did the same thing, I thought I was missing a doorway somewhere! So you liked the "spidey cult" huh? lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/02/08 09:07 PM

Well, I liked them better than those dratted plants in the swamp! laugh
I think you're right, everyone is Witching and not Gameboomering.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/02/08 09:23 PM

Nickie,

Just so you know, there is a entrance to the 'City Dungeon' in the 'Temple Quarter'. There's no need to back-track through the sewers at all if you don't want to. You'll be making several trips to the dungeon to talk with Jethro as things progress, so it's best to know where to go. You can pick-up your things without doing anything for him. Your equipment is in a small cell just a couple steps from Jethro inside a chest. I'm going to give you a link to a map of the 'Temple Quarter. Hope this turns out....the dungeon entrance is at # 23 on the map:

http://guides.gamepressure.com/thewitcher/guide.asp?ID=3653

Loony - I'm going to try your little experiment...as long as it doesn't kill me lol.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/02/08 09:42 PM

I know that now Milee, but yesterday I was hardwall grin I could see on the mini-map where it was supposed to be, but just could not see the door. Thanks though! I should have said I solved the problem. I'm currently going back and forth into the swamps. Or Wolf is anyway. Bad, bad plants! evil

That's a great guide - I don't want to look at it though, because I want this game to last a loooong time.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/02/08 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: nickie

... and me and the ton of squishy brains made it to the right door finally.

Happiness is a bag full of brains...EWWWWWWWW! sick

lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/02/08 11:15 PM

I'm glad you finely found your way Nickie bravo. If I didn't use the guide I'd probably be so lost I'd give up. Even with it I have trouble lol.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 01:48 AM

Nickie, your patches and wallpaper are in the mail!

Just made it to Chapter 3 last night. Think I'll head back in for a couple of hours.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 03:38 AM

Well, I've come to the conclusion that I have no ability to change whatsoever! This second round of playing was supposed to be with other decisions and I just can't seem to do it! I keep making mostly the same decisions! I can't help it really, I just have a strong opinion of what I think Geralt is like, and I can't seem to change! aarg! Hmm...it may be time to just go drastic, and change everything from here on out! Where is the big crying, throwing a tantrum smilie?? oh... pacify

Next time you are at Triss' place, go over by the teleport and look at the cage...her pet is interesting!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 04:15 AM

For the most part I'm doing things opposite. Except for Adda. Had to do that one the same way. whistle Which difficulty level are you playing with this time? I picked medium and can't say I notice much difference. Next time will be with hard. But it will probably be another year before I get there!

I'm going to try to go with the Squirrels this time.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 04:30 AM

Hi Drac! grin I'm doing medium too, and I don't notice too much of a difference either!

Oh Adda, I did do that one different...hmm...maybe I'll have some things change after all! lol

So Drac, the first time, you went with totally neutral, and now you'll go with the Squirrels? I went with the Order, maybe I should go neutral and see how I like everyone hating me!? evil

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 05:29 AM

I'm trying again on the medium level and, so far, have managed not to get killed. I have noticed that on occasion I have to do a lot more running. lol

For some reason I really don't like Siegfried so I definitely will not pick the order this go around.

This game has become addictive. evil

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 06:03 AM

It really is, isn't it! Since DD, I've played some good games but never since - until Witcher- felt compelled to keep playing at all hours.
Posted By: hawkavonpuka

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 06:16 AM

That nickie is why I haven't returned to it yet. I know I will never come up for air, I was like that in Morrowind, but it was easier since I had my computer in a separate room. I thought I could play while my daughter and kids were on Oahu for New Years, but no, my son, DIL and two older kids came over. Right now they are crossing paths from the airport, both families returning to home base.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 06:26 AM

That's good Hawka, family should come first. The game will be here when they're gone.

Thanks again Drac, I'll let you know when it arrives! There are several slow downs that I am just willing the game through occasionally, but I know the patch will help a lot.

laugh TM! Are you playing this now, or is it still one of many?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 07:21 AM

I've been playing it more regularily now that I finished Halo. Unfortunately, one of our project leads at work resigned today, and guess who gets to pick up the slack.... Looks like my gaming will be curbed for awhile frown How long do Drowner brains keep? laugh

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 12:36 PM

Oldman, I just can't stomach the Order either. Perhaps I will go with them on the third play just to see how the ending changes.

I forgot to ask you, nickie, what you thought of the opening cutscene? I thought it was the best one I'd ever watched. The ending is quite spectacular too.

Trail, I don't know how long Drowner brains keep, but I sometimes smell something "fishy" when I open the game now that I'm back to work and have to wait a day or two between plays. wink

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 02:32 PM

At one point I had over 100 drowner brains with no merchant in site. I just hate throwing away food! broccoli

I'm near the end now and will play the final part later today. I chose to side with the squirrels and will try for neutral the next time I play.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 05:52 PM

You guys are so funny! rotfl

Drac, I thought it was really impressive! A great way of giving you the background info in a movie form rather than reading it.

Question - are there many ingredients from the dispatched monsters that are hard to find from merchants and that I should hold on to? I've been selling them away without thinking about it.

And at what level do I start getting silver talents? I'm running out of good stuff to pick with bronze.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 09:36 PM

Nickie, the only ingredients that are unique will have a label "special ingredient" right in the description. Don't sell those. They are used up in special potions which grant you additional bronze, silver, or gold stats or give you extra skills. All other ingredients can be sold. However, be careful not to sell or make potions out of witcher contract items. Otherwise you mess up your quest. That means you have to find those monsters again and kill some more. Some monsters are rather prolific but some are harder to find. Besides who wants an extra trip through the swamp.

I finished. I will eventually replay. However, I have resolved to go through every single drawer, cupboard, etc. and chuck out stuff that I haven't looked at for over a year.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 09:42 PM

So what did you think of the ending, Rowan?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/03/08 10:12 PM

Drac, the ending was a real surprise. However, since that Polish author wrote several witcher books there probably will be some sequels.

Back to cleaning out some of my house inventory.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 04:44 AM

Okay, so it's me, all me...I'm hopeless! I'm facing the...the...oh heck - you say it! (kikimore queen) Thank you! Now tell me why I have such a bad time with her? I'm getting kicked all over again! What a whole big bunch of fun! (Now where is that insane, maniacally grinning gif??)

Okay, I feel better thanks for letting me vent! thanks

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 04:46 AM

Can't wait for my second time facing (she whom shall remain un-named!).

So is it Whom or Who? I like good grammar!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 05:27 AM

Hi lol

I'd opt for "who" myself - but then I'm a Brit ....

So what the heck !! lol lol

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 07:23 AM

I'd vote for who too, but what do I know.

Thanks for the info on the inventory, Rowan!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 11:45 AM

PS Hi one and all. Received my new glasses yesterday but they are of no use for using with the computer - back to the Magnifyng glass.

In the Witcher I'm about to give up. Just cannot find a way to get the villagers to fight Abigail and myself. Am wondering if I should visit the Reverend wearing the Salamander badge - will probably get killed on the spot. Or is there some way to get The Beast out of his lair, or wherever he lives?

Possibly all my own fault - am apt to skip bits of the written word when using the magnifying glass.

Patience Alice, patience. (not my middle name).

Ps - why is there a squirrel following me around? He keeps shouting "Wait for me, Wait for me." in a human voice. woozy

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 12:39 PM

Alice, I'm sure you have lots to do before your confrontation with the villagers. It's when you come out of a cave that you will talk with them and make your decision on who's side you will take. After that confrontation you and Abigale will go take care of The Beast.

Have you gone into your menu and clicked on your journal? In the quests tab, you can go to your quest and see what you need to do. Or you can "map" a quest and the location where you need to go next for that quest will be lit up on your map.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 04:16 PM

Drac - following your advice I have made an enemy of Odo - will possibly upset Mikul and split on Haren. Am now in a cave which goes under the town and came face to face with echinops. I know someone, somewhere in one of the three threads, received help with those but dashed if I can find it.

Also - list of quests. If they have a star in front of them does that mean they will wander all through the game? Or should they be completed in this chapter?

rolleyes

Must stop now - am being taken out at 10am tomorrow which is early for me to venture forth, so have to do a few chores this evening.

:shiver: it is getting colder - hope we don't have icy roads again in the morning.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 06:52 PM

The game plays out so differently depending on the decisions you make, that it is difficult to try and help. For me, I made all three of those folks trust me by doing their quests, but still sided with the witch, and had the ensuing cut scene with the beast. If you're tracking that quest in your journal, it should show you where you have to go on the map. But I understand your frustration - I have the same problem in chapter two. I know what I have to do, but I want to do something else and will be forced to follow through what I don't want to do because I committed myself to a different path through a previous selection. Does that make sense?
Not good at remembering names - you mean you already came across one of those plant thingees in chapter one? I didn't. But lots of them in two - they are succeptible to your throwing fire and using the silver blade.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 07:26 PM

If I uninstall this game does it also remove the patch? I would eventually like to replay but not now so I would like to keep the patch. Have no idea where the patch ended up. I've got Vista and haven't completely found my way around my newish computer.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 07:58 PM

Rowan, I would imagine every time you load the game you will have to "repatch" it. At least that's the way it's worked on all the games I've uninstalled with patches before.

Vista is supposed to have an improved search function, so maybe you could try doing a search for The Witcher and find your patch that way?

Alice, use Igni on those darned plant thingies. Potion up with a Tawney Owl so your Endurance will come back up quickly. I hit them with Aard, run up and hack them with the silver sword (enhanced with a grindstone or whetstone and then run away. Then hit them again. They can be hard to kill.

If it's the cave I think it is you will find a skull in there that you will eventually get a lot of money for from Leuvaarden at the Inn.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/04/08 10:27 PM

Rowan - I believe the patched version of your game would be un-installed, but the .exe patch file itself would remain because it was a separate download. I un-installed the game when I was having so much trouble and had to delete the v1.1a.exe patch manually afterward.

I know nothing about Vista, but my own .exe patch files were downloaded to my desktop both times.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/05/08 01:03 AM

Mine do too, but I know nothing about Vista. Perhaps you could ask in glitches - those gals are really up on that stuff.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/05/08 02:06 AM

Rowan, for Vista - try checking in your recent downloads - click on start, then click on your name (right side of menu). In there look on the left side and see "downloads". Unless you asked for it to be saved somewhere else, it should be there. If not, then as suggested, do a search and find it.
When I uninstalled and reinstalled, it was there in my directory, I just didn't download it. But I'm using my XP for this game. Don't know if it's the same with Vista.

Now let's talk about my gal...the queen... She's a fiesty old bug! But I will get her! evil

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/05/08 04:32 AM

Looney, you go, girl!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/05/08 04:58 AM

Party in the hooooouse! grin hey, make that grin bigger!

Man, what a battle! And I won, I am gooood! evil

Okay, I'm done patting myself on the back...well, not really, but you all don't need to see this silly dance I'm doing!

laugh

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/05/08 05:11 AM

I hope to be doing the silly dance sometime soon! Cool for you, looney!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/05/08 07:08 AM

I think they made a card of you doing that dance Looney. grin Way to go!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/05/08 03:58 PM

I'm in chapter 2 and have a contract to kill those plant things. Problem is I need a book. Does anyone know where I can find/buy one.

What a game, so far it hasn't given me any problems running on my pc.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/05/08 04:19 PM

You can get the book from the Antiquary in the Temple Quarter.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/05/08 06:18 PM

Thanks nickie! I'll check him out.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/06/08 06:04 PM

It's verrrry quiet on this thread - are you all playing away? How is it going lindy? And did you begin the game TLC? Is the squirrel still following you Threads?

It's so interesting in the game how the people and animals carry on with their lives, talking away to each other, moving under the buildings when it rains, etc. Noticed that even a dog got under the overhang on the dike to avoid the rain, that was cute. I had to go search for the ferryman, who was probably having a drink or something.

I got well into chapter 3 before the game became unplayable, and will start from the beginning when I get the patch. Might as well, as its fun and I know I would make some different choices. Should go faster too since I know what to do and where stuff is, and can put off ending the game even longer.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/06/08 06:23 PM

I'm still in chapter 2. I'm in and out of the swamp, what a nasty place that is. Yes, it is cute when it rains everyone runs for cover. On the dike the ferryman would be on the other side of the people and dog takeing cover. Then I became pushy trying to get through them.

Squirrel??? I thought I saw a monkey dancing around my feet in one place in chapter 1. Whatever it was, he was cute.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/06/08 06:44 PM

I saw the monkey too - wondered what the heck it was doing there!
grin
Have fun in the swamps! Oh, and just a tip about Gramps if you want it (don't read if you don't want a spoiler):
Click to reveal..
He has a particularly good formula for a substance to put on your sword
that you can get if
Click to reveal..
you let him live and visit him afterward

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/06/08 10:04 PM

Hi smile

I thought I was about to wrap up Chapter Four ....

Click to reveal..
But then remembered I never got inside the Hermit's hut. It was always locked.
Is there something in there that makes it worthwhile my trying to find a way in ??

All help muchly appreciated grin

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/06/08 10:32 PM

Mad I believe you're talking about a hut that is always locked. There is a house right next to it and the hermit is either in the house or standing in front of it. (it is to the left as you're facing the hut). There is a quest there that gives you some goodies and experience points.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/07/08 12:45 AM

I think I read that you can get a key to the hut, but it's not worth the effort. You can use the hut to store stuff from your inventory or something like that.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/07/08 02:34 AM

Hi smile

Thanks for the responses folks thumbsup

All I have achieved so far at the Hermit's hut is ....

Click to reveal..
to take 4 mandrake roots from 4 mounds at the side of the huts

I'll pay one more visit and see if that Hermit is anywhere about - and if he isn't, well it's "finale of Chapter Four here I come" !! grin grin

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/07/08 02:56 AM

Mad, I never did go into his hut, I read that there's a couple of books and a fireplace inside, once you get the key. You get the key by doing a quest called Hunting the Wild Hunt, you have to defaet the King of the Wild Hunt. Then you get 3 choices of prizes, the key is one of the prizes. I didn't choose the key, so I can't be sure.

I'm in chapter 4 as well, isn't it fun? I love all the quests, those noonwraiths are just spooky!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/07/08 05:09 AM

Mad if you're there during daylight hours the Hermit should be standing right near the mandrake roots. If not then the door is in the larger building were the roots are. The key to the hut is one of the rewards for doing the quest but there are better choices. It's just a building to store your stuff which you can only use in chapter 4 anyway. The "King of the Hunt" quest is worth doing though.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/07/08 06:57 AM

Hi again smile

Thanks .... I did go back to the hut once more - but - zilch !!

Maybe something I'd already done obliterated my chances of any Hermit quests. I don't know !! woozy

Anyway, I've moved on to Chapter Five now with a very full inventory and nowhere to store anything as yet eek lol

This is one great game bravo bravo

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/07/08 06:38 PM

You are very limited in what you can sell in ch. 5. There is "fence" near the beginning of the chapter but he eventually disappears. He's in one of the cul-de-sacs. There is a Scoiatel quartermaster also but I don't know if he is available if you made other choices. There is an armorer at the forge who will buy some of your unwanted stuff but not all of it. Kalkstein is in one of the towers and will buy some ingredients, too. All of these merchants buy only a limited amount of stuff. I used up ingredients by making potions but there will be a lot of items that you will eventually just dump. I figured out that you can sell some of the swords that you find by selling your weapons from your extra slots. I kept my best steel and my best silver swords but began to sell the others. That way swords that you found will automatically jump to your empty slots and can also be sold again.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/07/08 10:13 PM

Hi Rowan lol

I must remember the "selling swords" strategy for the next time I play this game thumbsup

Making lots of potions is a good idea for right now though so thanks for that suggestion too bravo

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/08/08 03:01 AM

My problem with the first time through was that I ended up with about $14,000 orens and nothing to spend it on. I'd have to give the game a minus on that point.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/08/08 07:33 AM

Hi smile

Could do with a little help if anyone can offer it, please help

I am in Chapter Five and getting confused.

[Did I say "getting" ?? .... Now there's a laugh wink]

Click to reveal..
I have looked at the walkthrough map but found it to be of no help whatsoever in my efforts to make it to the "left flank" woozy

Been trying for nearly two days now confused. but can't knock down any barriers - and/or find the correct path hardwall

And my small but sturdy companion keeps nagging me to "get a move on" lol

[I am on the side of the Elves.]

Cheers from a hopeful Mad yes

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/08/08 01:06 PM

Oh, Mad, I can't help you as I didn't choose the elves last time. Hopefully, someone else has and can help you out!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/08/08 01:21 PM

whisper I'm in chapter 2 (at last) trying to make up my mind to find a way into the city without going back to collect my gear in the prison. a) don't want anyone to take away the silver sword b) want to find the antiquary while my inventory is nearly empty.

Laugh - after a hard day's work (!) I'd just surrendered my sword to go to the dungeons when Microsoft gave one of it 'apologies' and took me back to the desk top. I packed up and got ready for bed.

Yesterday it was later when I eventually loaded the game. My 'crash' had deleted some of my saves but there was an autosave after the great fight with the villagers which placedme with Shani ready to run back to attempt entering the city. This time I reached the dungeons.

Am now in the sewers wondering the best approach above ground. hardwall Ah idea

See you one day.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/08/08 01:59 PM

If you check your map, you will find the Antiquary in the Merchant's quarter. He is a dwarf.

This is a very long chapter! Make sure you have brewed some Cat potions to help you see in those sewers! And start stocking up on lots of Drowner brains to sell to Kalkstein. Oooo, Alice, you now have THE SWAMPS to look forward to!

So which side did you pick - the villagers or Abigale? I killed all the villagers this last time through.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/08/08 04:08 PM

Mad, I had the same trouble as you finding the correct path. I can't even begin to explain to you how to find the correct barriers to Aard. Eventually I did find it though. The maps are useless for help here. I just remember trying to Aard one barrier then turning 90 degrees to Aard another barrier and it worked. I also remember going in unlikely directions blowing every single barrier. I vaguely remember going left from coming out of the forge almost to the gates which are closed then turning a sharp right and blowing those bariers. But that was after I helped Toruviel. Good luck.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/08/08 05:43 PM

Drac - thank you Soooo much - can imagine the grin on your face when you reminded me I'll be in the swamps soon. Realise the monsters will get more monsterous (!) but found the Echinops in the cave under the city very easy, easier than expected - stunned them with Aard then despatched the err-err-things.

Levelling up is still rather a mystery to me, amongst other things.

I bought the Limited Edition of The Witcher - just ordered The Witcher and that arrived. Haven't been back in the box since removing the game disc although I had to a short while go and discovered I was the owner of a huge poster-size map - the map covering both sides of the poster. Think Atari have many ideas for expanding this game for years to come. evil

Well, must get on - haven't found time to load the game today, and tomorrow my help is here to take me shopping. Hope Thursday allows me some time for myslf.

thumbsup

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/08/08 07:09 PM

That is one huge map, isn't it?! That looks very promising for at least a planned series. I can't see the game not doing well, but one never knows.

For those curious about getting the limited edition, besides the uncensored DVD game and map, it includes a lovely 204 page art book, a DVD documentary of the making of Witcher, and the music CD.

Threads, as soon as mine is patched I'll be beginning the game again, so don't be too speedy and we'll go dancing through the swamps together!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/08/08 09:18 PM

You haven't gotten the CD yet, Nickie? Goodness, I mailed it first class last Wednesday. I even double checked that I had the right address on it. I sure hope it isn't lost somewhere. If it doesn't get there by the end of this week, I'll send another one.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/09/08 12:54 AM

Hi Rowan lol

Thanks. I will try those directions you give and see if they can start me off whistle

[I usually tend to look at Banshee's walkthrough maps but they don't have their walkthrough ready yet ....]

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/09/08 01:00 AM

Hi Mad! Hey, I had one heckuva time finding the right barricade too! I didn't have this map back then, so let us know if it helps you at all okay?
I noticed that it says Dandelion is now like a storage place! Must be all the space in his head... lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/09/08 01:08 AM

I just got today's mail Drac, and I'm thrilled to tell you it arrived! Thanks so much!
What a cute card they did! Can you tell me what I need to do to put the patch into the game? No worries if you can't, I can ask on glitches.

EDIT: Nevermind, as Rosannadanna would say. The computer did it automatically. Good, good computer (many pats).

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/09/08 01:20 AM

Hi looney smile

That is the map I have been looking at but it hasn't helped me at ALL eek

It appears to show routes that will take me to the barricades I need to reach but when I try I don't get anywhere except dead ends or barricades that I can't knock down frown

I will see if Rowan's vague description can help me out - certainly can't make things any worse lol

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/09/08 01:36 AM

Mad I found in Act V that when you follow your in game map it shows you are there but you're just at the wrong side of the right building. (hope I explained that right)

I would move a little and then use my "M" key and keep checking until I got to the red dot. If I wasn't there then I would keep circleling that dot until the game said I was there. If you're with the dwarf chances are that you have to go to certain points before you blow out the blockades. When you get to the right spot the game will give you a cutscene telling you to go to another spot.

Confusing and even more confusing to explain.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/09/08 03:04 AM

Oh, great, nickie! I can't wait to see how it affects your gameplay. I still have that card as my wallpaper! And I simply loved Roseann Roseanaadaanna!

I was going to ask, Mad, if you are tracking that quest on your map. Like oldman says, it will put a red dot on the small map and a blinking circle on the main map.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/09/08 03:36 AM

Hi All smile

Well, using Rowan's description I got where I needed to be bravo So, thank you, Rowan very much yay

Because I was having such problems in that area, I printed that particular map and I have now marked on it the route I took to get to the correct barricades - in case I ever fight for the same side on a re-play thumbsup

I am now in the Swamp Cemetry .... evil

Cheers and thanks to everyone but especially Rowan grin

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/09/08 02:43 PM

I'm so happy that I could help, Mad. I was feeling rather badly that I was so vague but like you I was wandering in circles for a very long time. Now good luck in the swamp cemetery. I have a vague path beaten down there as well.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/09/08 07:37 PM

Hi Rowan smile

I'm hoping I'll manage in this new swamp as well as I managed in the old .... or should I maybe say manage better .... seeing as how I was sloshing around in that one for absolute eons lol lol

EDIT :
I keep forgetting to mention how much I really, really like the map function that ties in with the quests and shows where you might want to go next thumbsup

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/10/08 12:21 AM

I don't think I could play this game without it, Mad!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/10/08 05:42 AM

I'm in chapter 3 and trying to find the Royal Huntsman to give my trophy to. I see it on the map, but there is no door. Where is he???

Linda

Edit: I've been looking at night, so maybe he just stands there in the day. Will have a look then.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/10/08 07:18 AM

Can you press your alt key and pan around - sometimes folks are hard to see.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/10/08 01:19 PM

Lindy, he is not inside a building. I'm in Chapter 3 too. I assume you've gotten access to the Trade Quarter? When you first come into the Trade Quarter he is at the end of the first alley to your right. He is sitting behind a table during the day. This is a training area for the Knights and there is also an upper level access to the Watchtower and access to the cemetary.

So, nickie, did you have any luck with the patch?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/10/08 07:03 PM

Thanks Draclve. I've haven't had time to play today, maybe later. I was in the area at night, need to look in the day.
Posted By: Belgar

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/10/08 08:40 PM

I think many are having problems clicking the monsters because they are using the wrong sword and fighting style for "x" named monsters.

Remember some won't take dmg from teh silver or steel sword and some will need the strong, fast stance to take dmg.
This is an awesome game, love the mature atmosphere, the dice games, fight games.
I only regret that the inventory only lets you stack one potion for quick access .. maybe I am mistaken.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/10/08 08:42 PM

You can stack multiple potions of the same kind in a quickslot. Just drag them on top of each other. You gain up to 3 quickslots as you progress in the game.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/10/08 09:29 PM

Good point, Belgar. You definitely have to master switching between fighting styles and making sure you have the right weapon. What's really fun is when you have both a human AND a monster at the same time!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/10/08 10:17 PM

Lots of backflips? laugh

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/10/08 11:18 PM

Yup! Done that! When you double tap the "W" key (which is programmed for forward movement on my gamepad), Geralt will do a flip and jump out of the way of the fighting!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/11/08 12:56 AM

I'm back in chapter 2 again. Have a question - in chapter one, did anyone succeed in discovering what Odo's dog had that he was guarding? I couldn't bring myself to kill him, and I couldn't see anything on the ground or in his doghouse. (This time through I'm really taking my time and trying to discover every little nook and cranny).

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/11/08 03:15 AM

I'm like you. I looked everywhere the second time through, but I never found anything. I just couldn't make myself kill the poor dog either.

How goes it with the patch? Any improvement?
Posted By: Belgar

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/11/08 03:20 AM

I think he was barking at the Beast.
I remember seeing him bark after I had left the house. As soon as I walked away from the house the Beast appeared.

If you notice, all dogs turn into monster dogs at night, usually a sign that the Beast was nearby.
Also remember right at the beginning of the outskirts when the Beast attacks the village.
You can also remember that the witch tells you that the Beast is only there because of people's wickedness, bringing you out of the cave to confrot the villagers, kill the Beast and depending of your choice, the witch or all the villagers.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/11/08 03:41 AM

Hi smile

Just so I don't do things in the wrong order and miss quests ....

Click to reveal..
Can anyone tell me which quest will cause Chapter Five to end, thanks ??

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/11/08 04:27 AM

You will finally go back to the original part of Vizima you first entered, go to the Knight's headquarters to confont Jaques de Aldersberg. This will be in the epilogue. There is so much to do and not knowing which choices you have made, it's hard to say which specific one will take you to the Epilogue. I would try this walkthrough to see exactly what you have to do.

Have fun with the ending - this time anyway!

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/11/08 07:51 AM

Hi and thank you Draclvr smile

Sorry .... I should have mentioned that I'm on the side of the Elves .... grin

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/11/08 08:23 AM

I don't think so Belgar - but of course I could be wrong. It's during the day, and you get a cut scene of the dog after you step out of Odo's house. When you can play again, the dog is protecting something, and is around the plowed field - Wolf wonders what the dog has and says that the dog is going to get thorns in his paws or something like that. I tried to lure him away with a ham sandwich, but that didn't work. laugh
When I returned to the place a while later during the day, the dog was gone and I tried to look in the doghouse but couldn't, and I couldn't make it crumble by blasting it.
Oh well, of course it doesn't really matter, but I'm curious.

Drac, the 2.0 didn't work for me - big time crashes. I took that off, and put on the first patch. I guess I won't know if it makes a difference until I get back to where I was in the third chapter. So far it seems like the frame rate might be a little better - I'm not getting as much of a lag on the merchants street.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/11/08 01:05 PM

Did Odo give you the quest to kill the hideous plants that have taken over his garden? I'm thinking that might be it. I killed two or three echinops in the plowed area for him.

Yup, that's why I included the first patch. I think it was Trail that had to revert back - or maybe it was looney - because of crashes. The first patch wasn't supposed to address any of the time issues going in and out of places. It was released the day after the game was and all the complaints of hugely long load times only came after gamers start hollering about it a couple of weeks later.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/11/08 02:01 PM

Yup, you are correct. As soon as I loaded patch 2 I started to have problems. Aside from the occastional crash the other was that the scene would go black in the middle of a fight and I could hear poor Geralt getting his you-know-what kicked around the block and I couldn't do anything about it! lol I reverted back to 1.1a and all is well. The load times don't bother me anymore than they did in NWN 2.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/11/08 06:10 PM

That could be it Drac! Geralt got drunk with Odo, went out and killed the plants while super blurry, and then went back inside to sleep it off. That with the dog occurred the next morning, so maybe the dog was munching on part of the downed plant, although I couldn't see what it was. Would account for the thorns comment too.

I never had a problem with the game being slow going into houses. My problem was on the street itself - I think I read that due to a huge amount of NPC dialog, it slowed the game down going down the street. Very slow in chapter two, and made the game impossible to play in chapter three for me. Is it 1.1a that you sent me also Drac? Or are there three patches for the game?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/12/08 03:31 AM

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their silver sword. I have been trying through several games to figure out how to do it and have yet to get it done. I'm not talking about the runes that you need three of to forge a sword. I'm talking about the ones that say can be branded onto a silver sword and increases various attributes of said sword.

Every time I have one and am at a blacksmith I click on the hammer icon and the only option I have is to sell it. I can't find an option to brand it onto my sword.

Been meaning to ask this question for a while and just now got around to it. (roundtoit's are hard to come by) smile lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/12/08 04:05 AM

Hi Oldman!
Yeah, I've upgraded both swords. The steel sword needs 3 pieces of meteorite, either blue or red. And the silver sword need 3 runes, they are the earth, sun, and moon runes. I found one of each and did that, they seem to be a bit hard to come by so I didn't wait to see if I could get 3 of any one kind.

And just so you know, I have lots of roundtoit's 'round here! laugh

Did anyone figure out what that monkey running around underfoot is all about? confused

Oh, my theory on Odo's dog...well, didn't the echinops things appear where dead were buried? So maybe when Odo killed his brother, he buried him there? And maybe the dog was actually the brothers dog, so he's protective?? Hmm...my imagination runs wild! lol

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/12/08 04:46 AM

Only two patches, nickie. 1.1 and 1.2 so far.

Interesting theory on Odo's dog, looney! I like your imagination...

Me too, oldman. What is up with the branding of the swords and the only option is to buy something? I tried it once (after a save) and sold a rune like it asked. Nothing happened. So I loaded up the previous game. What am I missing here?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/12/08 04:54 AM

Hola Drac! I beleive I have a 1.1a patch, I'm pretty sure there were 3 altogether...better wait for Trail to pop in and tell us, he knows.

So, using the three runes didn't work for you?? Hmm..very strange! duh

Who has the Limited Edition? I want to ask about the sound track... hearts

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/12/08 12:01 PM

Looney - just popped in for a moment and read you last post.

I have the limited edition with the sound disk. Never play any game with the music in the background - confuses me as I'm tone deaf - lol Suppose it would be illegal to have it copied to send to you.

Well, spent yesterday having my eyes tested again - an exhausting day. Have no idea where my morning has gone except my tum is telling me it is time to eat.

Then, with luck I might get the game loaded.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/12/08 03:48 PM

The purchase a sword option only comes up if you have 3 runes for silver or 3 meteorites for steel. The more runes/meteorites you have the more sword options you get. By "buying" one of the swords you are upgrading the basic sword you have. Technically you are giving your sword + the runes to the blacksmith and the one you take from his inventory is the upgraded one. His inventory is more like a catalog and you choose the enhancements. The money you pay is for the work.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/12/08 05:42 PM

On my game the option comes up even if you don't have enough runes or meteorites, you just can't take the option (but you see how much money you have to have). And there's a yellow meteorite too - but you have to kill that thug boss to get it.

That's a great theory too Looney about the dog! And as a Witcher enthusiast, you just might want to think about getting the limited edition sometime - besides the sound track it has those other goodies to drool over. Gogamer carried it, but last time I looked they were out of stock, maybe more now. (Yep Threads, copying the stuff is illegal).

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/12/08 06:56 PM

Hola, looney! Nope, just two patches released so far. 1.1 was released immediately after the game was and 1.2 was released in December.

I see now how the sword thing worked when I had 3 runes for my steel sword.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/12/08 09:36 PM

Drac - There really were three patch versions put out...1.1, 1.1a, and 1.2. I downloaded and installed v1.1a which came out shortly after 1.1. You can 'Google' it and find references to that version, but not much more. I think you sent Nickie the only real important patches and I have no idea what 1.1a fixed above v1.1, but in passing I read a unofficial comment about it only fixing something in Act V. Wish I knew for sure, but I just can't find the info. It didn't help me either way because I still had to wait for 1.2.

I've made it into chapter 3 but haven't been able to play for about 4 days. I did notice that my game is kind of 'freeze/stuttering' at times in this chapter when ever I go OUT a door into Vizima. Seems that the city in this chapter is 'busier' and my video (wish I had a new card cry) is having a problem. I sincerely hope I don't start crashing like before. Did any of you notice a difference like this when going into chapter 3?

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/12/08 10:09 PM

Ah, I see. I went to The Witcher website and there was no mention of a 1.1a patch, so I assumed the others were the one ones released.

What I have in Chapter is a momentary freeze - like maybe 1 or 2 seconds - whenever I come out of a building. I think there are so many more NPCs in the streets in this chapter. Otherwise I'm not having any problems whatever.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/13/08 12:41 AM

Thanks Drac. That's exactly what's happening to me also along with a jerkiness when running down the street when a lot of people are about. Maybe I should walk (if it's possible) lol.

There are a few references to that particular patch in the Witcher forum, but finding them isn't easy. You can see one of them on this link page a couple posts down:

http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=7466.15

I don't know how to navigate on that site to get any real info without posting. It's just to big confused.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/13/08 01:32 AM

Yep, here's a site where you can download the three patches if anyone needs it:
fileplanet

Sounds like there may be more patches in the works.

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/13/08 01:58 AM

Well, yay! Anything they can do to make this game better is worth the effort. I'm waiting for either an expansion or the sequel...

Re: The Witcher thread three (spoilers probably) - 01/13/08 02:25 AM

In case there's any interest, on May 1 amazon.com is releasing the English version of one of the books of the Witcher series that the game was based on called "The Last Wish". It's already released on amazon UK.
There's also a DVD movie of the Witcher called "The Hexer" I believe, that was based on the book series. The reviews of it were somewhat less than stellar, but... laugh

Also, this thread has just about reached its page limit, so it looks like a good time to close it. Please feel free to start a new one when you like!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community